(Close Window)
Topic: How many of you watch scary movies with your wife or significant other?
The movie seance thread in the Spooky forum made me think of this. How many of you can sit down with your wife, girl friend, or significant other, and watch a scary movie? I can't. Donna does not like scary movies at all. I've even offered to watch a girl movie with her if she watches a horror movie with me, but to no avail. :)
George, it sounds like you should have applied that test before getting married! LOL!
My wife doesn't do scary movies.

I will relate one of my most "fun" experiences I had watching a scary movie with a girl, though :)

It was while I was in college, and I took my gf to see "Dawn of the Dead" (1978). It was playing the mid-nite movie showings and had done so for years at this theater after its original release. When it came time for the heroes to discuss why things were the way they were, Peter said, "When there's no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the earth."

That line so affected my date that she dropped her head onto my shoulder :)
I've never had a headless date.
I cannot stand scary movies.

Neither can my wife.
We both have always loved horror movies and sci-fi. One thing my girlfriend hates are so-called chick flicks.
You and I both made the right choice, Bob! (Although it took me a couple of tries before finding the right partner).
Me too, Arthur.
I love 'em, Carolyn tolerates some of the "light" horror, such as Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory...
Nope. She doesn't like them at all.
My wife professes to hate all movies. She sits there and says they are stupid and asks why the kids and I like them if none of it ever happened. Then she falls asleep. I think she has enjoyed the occasional, odd, factual film.
[quote]On Jun 19, 2015, arthur stead wrote:
I've never had a headless date. [/quote]

Well played, sir!

[img]http://awesomegifs.com/wp-content/uploads/cheers-slow-clap.gif[/img]
Thank you, Chessmann. I was hoping folks wouldn't interpret my comment as a double entendre!

Luckily, you saw the wit.
Well, geez Arthur, I didn't see the double entendre [i]until you mentioned it![/i]

Now I have about 7 responses, all unfit to post.
[quote]On Jun 20, 2015, arthur stead wrote:
Thank you, Chessmann. I was hoping folks wouldn't interpret my comment as a double entendre!

Luckily, you saw the wit. [/quote]

Context, context, context... :)
My wife and I own a huge collection of horror films and love watching them together.
Steve, do you own Carnival of Souls?
Neither Tom nor I like horror films.

We like Sci Fi and Fantasy but more and more horror/terror is finding its way into these genres.

I wish we could author our favorite films to precisely jump through scary, disturbing and or long tedious fight scenes.

-Mary Mowder
[quote]On Jun 23, 2015, Mary Mowder wrote:
Neither Tom nor I like horror films.

We like Sci Fi and Fantasy but more and more horror/terror is finding its way into these genres.

I wish we could author our favorite films to precisely jump through scary, disturbing and or long tedious fight scenes.

-Mary Mowder [/quote]

The first Alien movie was good as even the actors didn't know the "boo" moments. However I don't know of any other scary movie as for most part the music gives it away or they are not scary. Kreepy or disturbing maybe by not scary.
We have differing sensitivities to "scary".

I do not enjoy fear.

-Mary
This has a scare but it's not scary. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1e7GoDayMw

doesn't halloween just teach fear to kids who then grow up to be scared adults?
My wife doesn't like scary films. Personally, I see no place for the "mad slasher" genre, but I do like those movies where the terror is more imagined than real.

That being said, I watched "The Ring" one time, then hid the DVD away so I would never watch it again...
Clinton, I agree with the fact that modern "slasher" films are not scary. Sadly, that's what passes for "scary" these days. It's just shock tactics.. So I don't go to see many of the newer horror films.

But give me the old psychological suspense thrillers of the 50's, 60's and 70's, and I'll take a front seat!
[quote]On Jun 23, 2015, ClintonMagus wrote:
My wife doesn't like scary films. Personally, I see no place for the "mad slasher" genre, but I do like those movies where the terror is more imagined than real.[/quote]
I'm with you on that. Slasher films aren't my idea of horror. Besides, "you've seen one, you've seen 'em all."
Anyone have thoughts on the SAW movies? I find the whole premise of "you caused pain/suffering and do not understand how it affected the person and their loved ones so now you will experience it" an interesting plot.

RNK
[quote]On Jun 26, 2015, RNK wrote:
Anyone have thoughts on the SAW movies? I find the whole premise of "you caused pain/suffering and do not understand how it affected the person and their loved ones so now you will experience it" an interesting plot.

RNK [/quote]

That was kind of the point of Vincent Price's "Abominable Dr. Phibes" movies, too. Used to love watching those late at night as a kid.

Price was a treasure, but now it's difficult to watch him without thinking of Bill Hader.
[quote]On Jun 20, 2015, Theodore Lawton wrote:
My wife professes to hate all movies. She sits there and says they are stupid and asks why the kids and I like them if none of it ever happened. Then she falls asleep. I think she has enjoyed the occasional, odd, factual film. [/quote]

I'm guessing she's not big on novels then, either?
[quote]On Jun 22, 2015, arthur stead wrote:
Steve, do you own Carnival of Souls? [/quote]

Yes, we have it on a collection DVD.
Another of my favorites is The Legend Of Hell House. And The Entity.
My wife doesn't really do horror movies. I may or may not, depending on content- campy horror like Army of Darkness? I'm all over that. Gorn like the Saw series? Not so much.

She will happily go to action films with me, though, and doesn't drag me to rom coms or chick flicks :)
The whole family snuggled up and watched 3 seasons of American Horror Story. Does that count?
Our first movie date was "My Bloody Valentine."
We both love horror. My wife usually surprises me and finds some really good, off the wall, Japanese horror flick to watch.

And for the record, we met at a bizarre magick convention - The ICBM Gathering in CT. - http://www.icbmmagick.com/

We paired up for the fire breathing/eating portion of Todd Robbins' Sideshow Workshop.

We got married at the Oakwood Crematory Chapel in Troy, NY on Halloween 2010.
[quote]On Jun 19, 2015, Chessmann wrote:
My wife doesn't do scary movies.

I will relate one of my most "fun" experiences I had watching a scary movie with a girl, though :)

It was while I was in college, and I took my gf to see "Dawn of the Dead" (1978). It was playing the mid-nite movie showings and had done so for years at this theater after its original release. When it came time for the heroes to discuss why things were the way they were, Peter said, "When there's no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the earth."

That line so affected my date that she dropped her head onto my shoulder :) [/quote]

My wife loves scary movies. We saw ''Dawn of the Dead'' opening night in New York City. At the end of the film, there was a scream from the back of the theater. I said to my wife; ''Somebody must have goosed their girlfriend.'' No, when we got to the exit we discovered the ushers had done themselves up as zombies and were waiting for all of us.

She used to take people to see ''Jaws'' so she could watch their expression when the body popped up in the sunken boat. She and I would sit in the back and watch everyone jump back at the point.

She giggled at the reaction of some tough Navy guys at the climax to Jeff Goldblum's ''The Fly.''

We have a good time with horror movies. :fear:
A long time ago, I was visiting my cousins in LA, and one of them, a girl about my age, invited me to a three-movie showing with a couple of her girl friends. It was [i]Night of the Living Dead[/i], [i]Count Yorga, Vampire[/i], and something else about a girls' boarding school. One of them was holding a big tub of popcorn and passing it around -- until the first jump scare in [i]Night[/i], when the tub flew up in the air and half-emptied itself on us. At which point I said, gimme that tub, and I was the official popcorn wrangler the rest of the time.

It was also when I thought, gee, wouldn't this be a great time to get a bucket of KFC chicken and sit here munching it...
One of my favorite 'scary' movies was the 1963 "Pit and the Pendulum" with Vincent Price. Scary good...and watch ALL the way to the end!
I used to really enjoy scary movies although some people might not find them scary. I used to love Stephen King's "It" and the John Cusack movie "1408". My wife never really enjoyed movies like that even though she would watch them with me. So, we don't watch them anymore. My taste has changed now and I really don't care for them either now.