(Close Window)
Topic: Empathy Book Test by Ed Stein???
Message: Posted by: The Russian Mentalist (Jun 21, 2015 10:13PM)
Has anyone seen or reviewed Empathy book test by Ed Stein???

https://www.stevensmagic.com/shop/empathy-book-test-english-edition/
I wonder if it's the same as the Grandfather of all Booktests?
Message: Posted by: The Russian Mentalist (Jun 22, 2015 09:21AM)
Good thought minty. Mind Guerrilla pointed that out to me as well. So then, what can people tell me about The Grandmother of All Booktests? I am not asking for the method, I am just trying to get a sense of the parameters and restrictions. I.e. Can the volunteer literally turn to any page, choose a word, and you can then divine it? This is the impression that I get from the description. Thank you!
I have never had the Grandmother of all Book Tests but was very interested when it came out. With the Grandmother, you get a Sherlock Holmes book and you describe a visual item being thought of eg a necktie, dagger or whatever.
[quote]On Jun 22, 2015, Can the volunteer literally turn to any page, choose a word, and you can then divine it? This is the impression that I get from the description. Thank you! [/quote]

Yes. The volunter can turn to any page, chose a word and you can divine it.
That's true.
Message: Posted by: The Russian Mentalist (Jun 23, 2015 11:58AM)
Thank you for the insight NeilS. So is a visual object part of the parameters? I.e. Do you say to your volunteer, "Look for an object in the paragraph that you can visualize."
Message: Posted by: The Russian Mentalist (Jun 23, 2015 11:59AM)
Dj do you own The Grandmother of All Booktests?
[quote]On Jun 23, 2015, The Russian Mentalist wrote:
Dj do you own The Grandmother of All Booktests? [/quote]

Yes, I own Grandmother of all Book Tests.

dj
Edward Stein did the booktest to me, the german version, but I guess itīs the same principle.
I think that is the closest to real mindreading you can get with a booktest.
By the way, all his material is top notch!!!

kiki
Kiki (and others):

It is clear, from the effect's description on the Stevens website, that Empathy involves an innovative way to discover and reveal a spectator's chosen word from the book. If the spectator's experience includes more than just the chosen and revealed word, I did not pick that up from a single reading of the description. So two questions come to mind:

1. Is there more to it than a single word reveal? If so, what else are the spectator and audience likely to experience?

2. Why is it called the "empathy" book test? This title suggests something like a socio-emotional rapport between the performer and spectator that the description does not feature.

George
Itīs a revelation of a word like other booktests, but you donīt fish for letters, what makes it stronger, I find.
I have seen it live 2 times and itīs as straight as it can be. But itīs just a relevation of one word, if you can live with that.
I canīt imagine a better way of revealing a word from a book, if just the principle of the book is used.

kiki
Message: Posted by: The Russian Mentalist (Jun 28, 2015 03:28PM)
KiKi & dj, what are the parameters of getting the spectator to choose the word?

I can't imagine that you can have them just choose any random word on the page.

I own and use a number of book tests including MOABT, so I am not looking for the method. I just want to know the parameters of the choice of the word so I know if I am comfortable with the subtlety of the word choice, before I spend $205.00.

Thanks!
Message: Posted by: The Russian Mentalist (Jun 28, 2015 03:29PM)
Typo: I meant $250.00
Pmīed you!
Message: Posted by: The Russian Mentalist (Jun 29, 2015 10:47AM)
Thanks Kiki!
Kiki,
Could you please PM me the same info that the Russian Mentalist asked you (I just want to know the parameters of the choice of the word to understand if I am comfortable with the subtlety of the word choice before to spend $250) ? Thanks, Gianni
Kiki,
Thanks for your help - Gianni
Youīre welcome! ;)
Any more feedback on this? I'm thinking of getting it. Thanks
Does anyone here who has the GMOABT have any idea where one might be able to locate English versions of the series? My searching efforts have only yielded the German versions.

Feel free to PM if more appropriate.

Thanks,

Elliot
I believe 'Empathy' is the English version of the GMOABT. But I may be wrong. Empathy is, I believe, a Stevens exclusive.

https://www.stevensmagic.com/shop/empathy-book-test-english-edition/
Thanks Minty, I've already purchased Empathy via SME, however on Ed Steins site there are three GMOABT books in the series, and it seems these are only available in German from him.

Anyone else have any insight as to whether these are available commercially in English?

Thanks,

Elliot
I have MOABT and Babel. Is there any reason I should get this, too? Or is it too close to these book tests?
I'd be greatful if you could PM me also Kiki? I'm considering buying either MOABT or Empathy. I'm familiar with MOABT as I own Glance (magazine test)

Thanks
"Empathy" is the english version! The other two books on his side are the german versions. With these books you donīt have to fish for letters, like in the original MOABT, but feelings.
Thanks for clarifying, KiKi.

Elliot
Message: Posted by: The Russian Mentalist (Jan 27, 2016 11:39AM)
KiKi your last post really helps a lot. Thank you!
This is a fantastic book test... Very happy with this.
The Creator of this Booktest is still a special guest at the next MindSummit in Cologne. :-)
[quote]On Feb 2, 2016, Rainer - ParaLabs wrote:
The Creator of this Booktest is still a special guest at the next MindSummit in Cologne. :-) [/quote]

As an exhibitor?
A Kind of.
He has always stuff with him and it is up to him to sell it at the MindSummit.
I bought it. Nice kit. Nice method, but I would love to see a video performance.
Jaizon have you used this in performance yet?
I just received this...guys, get this! It is better than MOABT...no fishing!

Billion
No fishing in MOABT either, if you do it right.
I‘d like to buy this one but would love to have some more infos as well before spending so much money. can you repeat this book test after performing this for the same spectator?
Received it today. If anyone is interested in this booktest feel free to ask.