(Close Window)
Topic: Matrix Finale
I posted this on the card forum and was suggested to post it here:

[quote]Does anyone know of anyone who finishes their matrix routine by producing and spreading the entire deck after the final coin goes over? The idea hit me and I would love to do it, only I can't palm even one card to save my coins. Does this seem practical?[/quote]

I've been thinking about this and how to do it so the spectator doesn't just assume that you picked up the deck while they weren't looking ('cause that's what you did.) I'm thinking maybe you could handle it like David Williamson's "Three Card Trick" finale, with the cards sort of spilling out of your hands.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Jun 24, 2015 12:22PM)
How does a production highlight or complete the magical assembly effect?
I'm just kicking around an idea here. It came to me through a patter idea ("actually, I use an extra card. Actually it's more than just one.") so it might not exactly work magically.

It might though - the audience is aware of the cards you use the whole time, but only as cover. They highlight the magic, but aren't the actual subject of it. Doing magic with them at the end then might be a good way to take things a final step forward. Especially if your routine doesn't end with them all moving back or a similar kind of closure. Sort of like finishing a set by turning your close-up pad into a terrier.

It might be some serious overkill, though, as the routine is already over. You might be able to time it correctly so as to present it as a new trick, but not to make it appear that you had enough of a chance to steal the deck. I'd have to experiment with it. Unfortunately, my card skills are limited, so ...
I would assume you would then go into a series of card effects, having produced the deck. I like that line, that you use and extra card. Could do a Malone style card to mouth thing. Or you could say you use an extra coin....
... And then go directly into a production sequence? That's an idea. The only issue might be the pacing being too rapid.

The way I had been thinking about the deck production was to unbox the cards, deal off four, set aside the pack, do the routine, and then pick up and produce the pack. But come to think of it, you're right - there's no reason to have them in view from the start, it's roughly as easy and far more magical to have them in your pocket.
Hmm
just brainstorming here. I'm not saying it makes sense or makes matrix better.
Is there away for you to change the coins to the deck as they fall to the table.
.... and then have the coins be found (by the spectator or you)
inside the card box?
Interesting idea, Harris.

Weeeeeeeeell I suppose I could vanish the coins from Rhand to L, misdirect, steal box, and then "pass" the coins from L back to R, changing them into the box and pretend to pour the coins out of the box from underneath. But I don't know how easy it would be (for me) to vanish the coins and produce the deck. Particularly since the way I was planning on producing the deck revolves around counting the cards off to be effective.

(This discussion is veering dangerously towards Banquet Room material.)
Hmmmm
continued thinking..

One could "pour them" from the box....
OR

actually have the same coins come out of the box.

The same coins could also be found in a previously shown empty coin box...which would make the routine go into another direction....

again not saying better or completing......just imagining / brainstorming a flow of ideas or transitions in a larger routine.

No methods here just thinking and throwing out ideas.
[quote]No methods here just thinking and throwing out ideas.[/quote]
I find it difficult to separate ideas for effects with ideas for moves to produce that effect. They're just so intertwined.

Anyways, for what it's worth, I think I figured out how to do what I want to do. Now I just need to practice it a bunch. I'll post a video here when I've got it down and you all can tell me if you think it makes a good ending.
[quote]On Jun 24, 2015, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
How does a production highlight or complete the magical assembly effect? [/quote]

The jumbo coin produced from the cards you had just used is startling! I think about the very first time I saw a matrix style effect, though I'm not amazed anymore it's all about seeing the same reaction.
Check out "Flash Opener" from the book Steranko on Cards page, 46
This allow you to produce a deck of card spreading across on the table in a striking manner
work effectively after the Matrix routine where the offbeat is created