(Close Window)
Topic: Favorite Ex/Sh effect??
What's yours??
Trying to (Back in the late 70's) find an Ex S_ _l that didn't look pregnant :rotf:
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Feb 16, 2004 01:52PM)
Used to show the thing on a coin, then do a trick and let folks grab for it later... and it's a solid coin. That works for magicians though. There is no purpose in showing laymen a gaff.
Hi Randy,
Try Todd's gaffs. They Look Killer!!!
My Favorite Ex/Sh Effect For the last 20 years
or so Is my Open Travelers routine. It just kills layman!!!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
I like an effect shown to me by Joshua Jay, I can't remember if it was his or not, but it is a very clean three coins disappear at the finger tips effect! No sleeves and end clean!
I carry a Johnson, "tails" quarter in a rubber, squeeze-type coin purse...borrow four quarters, and do Coins Across, or Thru The Table (if a shotglass is handy)...mine doesn't work with my Raven, and a shim would make it sit too high on a coin...so that's out...

I have a half dollar "tails" made by Johnson (awesome quality, as I picked it out myself among some "pregnant-looking ones), a Johnson English Penny "heads", and a Hopping Half set, which includes that fantastic Sun & Moon...

:bg:

Doug
[quote]
On 2004-02-16 17:27, David Neighbors wrote:
Hi Randy,
Try Todd's gaffs! They Look Killer!!!
My Favorite Ex/Sh effect for the last 20 years

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
[/quote]

Hi David!

Yes I will have to do that, right now the gaff I have is an English Penney from Johnson. Which is a nice match. But yes, when I need a .50 piece I will look to him.

Just currious if you are going to be in Vegas for the L.V.M.I this year? if so would like to meet you and say hello.
Doug Brewer's Unexpected Visitor has a lot of strong effects with the Ex/Sh. His coins across addresses some of the issues that other coins across have.
I would love to hear what other sources people have that are full of Ex/Sh magic. I really enjoyed the Brewer book and am looking for more.

Thanks
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Feb 16, 2004 08:09PM)
Full of e] magic... wow.

I know of a few gems here and there though not whole volumes of that stuff.

And yes... okay.. I confess... I did have a routine using the gaff published a LONG time ago.

Still a nice method.
Hi Randy,
I am not sure If I am going to be able to come or not - depends on if I have the $$$ or not at that time! I will be going to F.F.F.F. this year!

And I think the way It looks right now, I will be doing
a lecture tour in Ohio the last part of March and down into April at some of the I.B.M. Rings! But that's not set in stone yet! If anyone knows of any other magic clubs In Ohio let me know!

And Therntier, if you are looking for Ex/Sh tricks, my books are full of them! It's My Favorite Gaff!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
Well my favorite routines with aa Ex/Sh are Dean Dill's No Extras, Isolated, and Translocated off of the "Extreme Dean" DVDs. These are great routines, both volumes have alot of work with Ex/Sh's. I love them.

-Bill
I use it with the copper, silver, brass to do a complete vanish at the end of the routine. It makes for a killer ending.
[quote]
On 2004-02-16 23:09, peps135 wrote:
Well my favorite routines with aa Ex/Sh are Dean Dill's No Extras

-Bill
[/quote]

No Extras doesn't use a this gaff, hence then name No Extras.
Full Effect:

If you watch the DVD Dean has an alternate handling that does involve this gimmick and three coins rather than 4 coins. If you want to know more about it PM me and I'll explain more in depth.

-Bill
Heh, heh, I'm good friends with Dean.
I know which routine you're talking about...

It's the variation of no extras using something "extra" for "cleaner" shows... I've talked to Dean about that routine. To me I don't think it should also be called No Extras.. but that's just me
Message: Posted by: Chris "linkster" Watson (Feb 17, 2004 02:22AM)
The favourite for me has to be Trio/ Misty Like A Dream by Gary Kurtz (Unexplainable Acts/ Creating Magic Video). I like the way the gaff is reeled in to accomplish one part of the routine, but remains hidden throughout the rest of it. Next would have to be Chris Korn's handling of a chinese coin and a half dollar changing places in/on a spectators hand (appeared in an article in Magic Magazine and on his lecture video at International Magic). Next up would be Aftershock by Chris Kenner from his Totally Out Of Control book, coins vanish and appear under a single playing card...Kicker for an ending too ;-D
[quote]
On 2004-02-16 17:27, David Neighbors wrote:
Hi Randy,
Try Todd's gaffs. They Look Killer!!!
My Favorite Ex/Sh Effect For the last 20 years

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
[/quote]

David,

I'm not familiar with the effect, can you give a brief onn what the effect is?
I like David Roth's coins across
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Feb 17, 2004 06:32AM)
The semi MilSpeak for the gaff is okay. I was going to suggest something like e] for the ex gaff and c] for the cut down version.
I like your suggestion. Much better than s***l (and it's many variants). I'll be using it!

On to the topic, my favorite routine/trick with a c] or an e]...

I'm trying to learn some of Latta's ] tricks, but find the noise thing about ] coins in general to be annoying. Just need to practice. But his "QuadraQuicksand Coins Away" certainly one of my goals.

I do use a c] to begin "Two Timing Transpo" from Sol Stone. That way you start really cleanly and the spellbound part seems better, to me. Not really a ] trick, but still an application of the gaff.

Using a ] in something like Roth's "Hanging Coins" can also add a bit of "cleanliness", at least at the very begining. Or does that make the rest of the routine too "dirty"?
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Feb 17, 2004 12:41PM)
How about ^ or ~
I like my nearly normal version of
QuadraQuicksand Coins from Kaufman's(not his) Coin Magic.

Harris
Hi Krumb,
It's the same as the open travelers with cards! You place 1 coin on the table And have 3 coins in the hand. One at a time you pick them up in the other hand, squeeze it in your hand and it dematerializes ( turns invisible) and then you set it down on the table, by the other coin and it
rematerializes ( turns back visible)! Okay, hope this helps!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
[quote]
On 2004-02-17 01:35, Full Effect wrote:
Heh heh Im good friends with Dean
I know which routine your talking about...

its the variation of no extras using something "extra" for "cleaner" shows... Ive talk to Dean about that routine to me I don't think it should also be called No Extras.. but that's just me
[/quote]

Now that you mentioned it I think that you're right about the whole name thing. But lemme tell ya it is a great routine don't you agree.

-Bill
David,

It sounds really cool. I will have to see if I can track it down in print via one of your books....thanks.
Hi Krumb,
Thanks man! You can find It in my Japan Notes!
On my web site at http://www.stumagic.com ( my link is about half way down the opening page). It's also in my A-1 Video The Coinjurer! Okay, later man!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
Coin through glass, I love this trick it gets really good reactions at the bar.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Feb 19, 2004 12:04PM)
Heather3fly, is there a clear table at the bar? Have you done coin-through-glass table?
Hi Gang,
I Had A 4 Coins Through A Glass Taple top in the 20th Year Of Apocalypse ( also in the 15-20 hardbound Apoclypse). It has all ways gotten killer Reactions!!!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
Paul Gertner's Matrix To Reverse Matrix with two cards
Coins Through The Glass is great using the Mag Half Set from Johnson...

Just using the e] is great, it's just that the above ends a bit cleaner...Bobo-switch, and you're done!

Cheers!

Doug
[quote]
On 2004-02-19 12:34, Heather3fly wrote:
Coin through glass, I love this trick it gets really good reactions at the bar.
[/quote]

I've been fooling around with this....looks kind of odd....takes a certain touch to not make it look bad.
Hey guys, I just put a review of Chris Korn's new DVDs up at http://www.coinvanish.com. Chris' routines use the ex/sh a lot, take a look at the reviews, you may want to get these DVDs.
If you get Chris Korn's Lecture Notes: "Be Fruitful and Multiply", these contain two super effects using the ex/sh. Both of the tricks are on his lecture video from International Magic in England, and one of them is on "Extreme Korn" (or maybe "Radical Korn").

The first "The Liptak Sighting" is a three coin production. The first two coins appear from your elbows and are placed on the table. You reach to take a third, you take an invisible coin and throw it to the table, there is now seen to be a third coin on the table. This is repeated.

The second effect is his brilliant Copper/Silver routine. A copper coin is put inside the spectators hand a silver coin on top, the magician waves his hand over the coin, and it is seen to have changed (one note; Chris says you need a milled down penny, I managed to get hold of an old one which worked fine, it just needs to be well worn, a lot cheaper than having a coin specialy prepared).

I saw Chris perform several of the tricks from his new DVD set, and they all looked great.

Don't forget the countless 3 Fly routines.

owen
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Feb 24, 2004 02:48PM)
I don't know about 'countless' routines. The original is just fine with me. As to applications of e] or ] in general, let's not forget the 21 cent trick. Has anyone found my little coins through table from Apocalypse? ;)
[quote]
On 2004-02-16 20:57, therntier wrote:
Doug Brewer's Unexpected Visitor has a lot of strong effects with the Ex/Sh. His coins across addresses some of the issues that other coins across have.
[/quote]

Yes! Love the routines in that book including Sounds Familiar and his three-coin production from a pen cap (Cap-tivating) and subsequent vanish (The Hook Revisited).
For me, the Peregrinating Halves is a classic. The effect can have a thoroughly enchanting effect on an audience as the coins travle one by one in the most magical manner.
Troy Hoosers ExTROYdinary

Iain.