(Close Window)
Topic: Magnum Opus Loochus - The Black Project
Message: Posted by: DrTodd (Jul 10, 2015 04:18AM)
He has a causal manner and boyish good looks that are disarming to say the least.

He asked me to name three major cities to which I had travelled in the past and to think of a major landmark in each.

He asked me to imagine postcards for those cities and to select one in my mind only.

He quietly jotted something down on the back of a box I had laying on my table.

He asked me to name the city.

'San Francisco.'

He asked me to turn over the box.

It said, 'Golden Gate Bridge.'

His name is Looch, and the new release is called The Black Project. This routine and 600 pages of content like this fills two high quality volumes, in a boxed set, with videos and a supporting secret forum.
I have known Looch for years and loved his Simple and Direct (SAD) book that came out years ago. Ten years on, he has indeed produced his Magnum Opus.

Limited to 400 copies ever, The Black Project will go down in history and sit alongside the canons of mentalism that we all so cherish: 13 Steps, Mentalism Incorporated, The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy, and the Mind and Magic of David Berglas.

Yes, it is that good.

Looch uses everyday objects, lateral thinking that makes me scream with delight, and a style of engagement that is charming, charismatic and simply comfortable. No tattoos, no aggression, no in your face performance style. Just a pleasant and unsettling display of mind reading.

Looch is a working mentalist with private clients, corporate clients, public stunts (a la Berglas), and stage shows that bring to the world the best that mentalism has to offer. He has won entertainment and business awards, not least of which a prize from the UK Dragon's Den venture capitalist Theo Paphitis. He has always been the name to watch and now he shares all with this project. I have had the pleasure of watching Looch perform and in sharing the stage with him. For me, this is the mentalism release of the year, hands down.

The Black Project is available here:

http://theblackproject.co.uk/
Message: Posted by: Looch (Jul 10, 2015 05:41AM)
Thanks Todd


Trailer here: https://youtu.be/gUtVbdNrSPE
Message: Posted by: Zee (Jul 11, 2015 07:48PM)
Just placed my order!!!!

Mr. Looch, by any chance, can you please tell me if you talked about bxxxxt index in this book? I have never seen yours but heard it was the greatest B.I. so I am curious about it.

Zee
Message: Posted by: ko_brian (Jul 29, 2015 08:31PM)
I got to know Looch on his 1st Penguin Live. I really loved his material. Ill start saving for this one, I hope Ill do it before the 400 copies run out.
Message: Posted by: George Hunter (Jul 30, 2015 09:30AM)
If a creator/performer has been in a field for ten years and has had the discipline to write, file, and organize all of his thoughts and creations for those ten years--all of that is admirable. However, if one then publishes all (or most) of that collection, the chances of all (or most) of it being actually fit to print are remote.

Furthermore, NO ONE who has functioned in ANY serious field of study for only 10 years is in any position to write an "opus." They may organize and publish the material in their notebooks; some of it may be worthwhile to others; but an "opus?" The distance between a big book and a magnum opus is vast.

George
Message: Posted by: Looch (Aug 5, 2015 06:59AM)
The majority of the conversation on TBP is taking place here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?from=email&topic=574756
Message: Posted by: Atlas (Sep 17, 2015 02:52PM)
[quote]On Jul 30, 2015, George Hunter wrote:
Furthermore, NO ONE who has functioned in ANY serious field of study for only 10 years is in any position to write an "opus." They may organize and publish the material in their notebooks; some of it may be worthwhile to others; but an "opus?" The distance between a big book and a magnum opus is vast.

George [/quote]

I have to respectfully disagree.

You mention a field of study and ten years - firstly, study isn't the right word. Some people only study, that is definitely true. Looch has practiced, experimented, refined, and slogged.

As to the reference to ten years - Looch has been in magic since he was a youngster, well over twenty years ago.

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand where you are coming from. Magic is a field where so many practitioners are anything but that - they know so much theory and yet have never put their secrets to the test. It is difficult to draw comparisons to other industries as you have done.

But I don't think it is a mischaracterisation to label this book an "Opus".

Best,

Atlas
Message: Posted by: George Hunter (Sep 17, 2015 03:39PM)
Atlas:

You may be right, of course. At least several knowledge-leaders, such as Einstein, produced revolutionary insights when they were fairly young.

But size does not equal "opus," and to rush to the conclusion that our friend has produced an opus before very many people have even read it might be a tad premature.

George
Message: Posted by: DrTodd (Sep 18, 2015 04:40AM)
[quote]On Sep 17, 2015, George Hunter wrote:
Atlas:

You may be right, of course. At least several knowledge-leaders, such as Einstein, produced revolutionary insights when they were fairly young.

But size does not equal "opus," and to rush to the conclusion that our friend has produced an opus before very many people have even read it might be a tad premature.

George [/quote]

The book does not profess to be a theory of everything or the theory of relativity or the origins of the species, but it is a remarkable achievement, beautifully produced, and chocked full of new ideas, field tested insights, and amazing well honed routines for the modern mentalist. It also reflects all of Looch's blood, sweat and tears over many years of performing. On these criteria and the very positive feedback this work is receiving, I am quite happy to call this a magnum opus. I concur with Atlas.
Message: Posted by: John C (Sep 18, 2015 07:56AM)
I agree with George's technical reference. I haven't read the "opus"
Message: Posted by: DrTodd (Sep 18, 2015 08:11AM)
[quote]On Sep 18, 2015, John C wrote:
I agree with George's technical reference. I haven't read the "opus" [/quote]

I agree too, and I have read it :-)
Message: Posted by: Sven Rygh (Sep 18, 2015 09:11AM)
So if this can be called an opus, what would you call TA Water's eight hundred and some pages, Mind, Myth & Magic (65$)
A book?
Message: Posted by: Atlas (Sep 18, 2015 01:08PM)
[quote]On Sep 8, 2015, Sven Rygh wrote:

Haven't you guys other things to do than all this cavelling?
It was quite clear in the add from the very beginning what this is!

Stop ruining this forum completely before it is too late! (I believe it already is)
Get a life! [/quote]


[quote]On Sep 10, 2015, Sven Rygh wrote:

These kind of posts reminds me on why I, - and quite a few with me rarely come here anymore.
I suggest that you read the posts in this thread again [/quote]

[quote]On Sep 18, 2015, Sven Rygh wrote:
So if this can be called an opus, what would you call TA Water's eight hundred and some pages, Mind, Myth & Magic (65$)
A book? [/quote]

Glad you're still with us champ!

Best,

Atlas
Message: Posted by: DrTodd (Sep 18, 2015 01:51PM)
[quote]On Sep 18, 2015, Sven Rygh wrote:
So if this can be called an opus, what would you call TA Water's eight hundred and some pages, Mind, Myth & Magic (65$)
A book? [/quote]

TA Waters is also in my category of Magnum Opus Sven. Remember any such accolade is relative to the artist and not to other artists:

'A work of art, music, or literature that is regarded as the most important or best work that an artist, composer, or writer has produced.' (Oxford English Dictionary). Thus, in relation to Looch's work to date, this is his magnum opus.
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Sep 18, 2015 02:41PM)
Its also the brand of condoms he favours...
Message: Posted by: Sven Rygh (Sep 18, 2015 04:30PM)
[quote]On Sep 18, 2015, DrTodd wrote:


TA Waters is also in my category of Magnum Opus Sven. Remember any such accolade is relative to the artist and not to other artists:

'A work of art, music, or literature that is regarded as the most important or best work that an artist, composer, or writer has produced.' (Oxford English Dictionary). Thus, in relation to Looch's work to date, this is his magnum opus. [/quote]

Thanks for your reply, Todd.

I don't have Looch's book, and when he approached me offering it, I told him that I wasn't in the market for buying it.
Not that I am in any doubt that it is a good book-
On the contrary, I have some of Looch's other material, I like much of it, and I honestly believe that his new book is well written.

But there are some differences between his book and a book like TA Water's

Although Waters was a successful actor on Broadway, he was not known as very successful performer of the mental arts
In fact there were many who were far better performers than what he was.

That fact should not take away from him the honor of having lived mentalism a lifetime.
A life he spent on creating some of the best ideas, techniques and effects contained within mentalism.
It should also not be forgotten his many essays with priceless wisdom is more than worth listen to and learn from.

The best of this he gathered as known in Mind, Myth and Magic, the work of more than eight hundred pages, as there is every reason to classify as a gigantic magnum opus.

To my knowledge (again I have not read the book) has Looch collected absolutely everything of what he has conferred through a ten-year period, and as I understand it, mainly closeup material.
In addition, a series of essays that I hear is very well written.

Although Looch's efforts are commendable, there are many who have done the same as him, and far more (no one mentioned and no one forgotten) without bombastic to call his work neither exceptional or near characteristic of a magnum opus

These were my thoughts when I asked you the original question

Thanks again.
Message: Posted by: George Hunter (Sep 18, 2015 04:58PM)
Todd and Atlas:

If both of you agree that The Black Project is a fine book, even a signature contribution, I say Good for Looch.

We may be quibbling about the current referent for a Latin term, and I am aware that definitions for terms can change over time as communities gradually use a term differently. I am okay with that, but I have some anxiety about what could be (however unlikely) the casual debasement of a once-great term in the promotion of a friend's book. For a long time, ALL of us on the Café have seen unspeakable hype attached to new products and, more recently, we have witnessed the organized campaigns by networks of people to stack the votes for "best of the year" awards. (Please assure me that is not the next move in this project's support.)

The one sentence extracted from the OED definition is useful, but words mean what they mean in communities of discourse. The academy generally employs the term "magnum opus" in the more restrictive sense of a very great, watershed, pioneering book. That is usually an evaluation made by a whole community of scholars and other thinkers, after reflecting over time; a consensus. (I am aware of no precedent for one or two people unilaterally awarding that distinction to any book before it has even been published and distributed.)

If all one really means by the accolade is that they think it is a wonderful book, I can live with that. If all one means is that a book is a writer's best to date, then one is free I suppose to refer to it as the writer's "opus"--at least until he or she writes something better. In my own career in higher education, I occasionally heard a colleague say, of someone's new book, that may be his or her "opus." No one ever attached "magnum" at the front end. So, in this case also, "magnum" may be a premature stretch.

Nevertheless, I do hope that this book achieves every success it deserves.

George
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Sep 19, 2015 06:52AM)
You do know this is called The Black Project don't you? The magnum opus was just a term Todd used...
Message: Posted by: Twisted Mentat (Sep 19, 2015 08:47AM)
Why talk in detail about other performers and their achievements? I do not understand it.
Message: Posted by: DrTodd (Sep 19, 2015 10:35AM)
Sven: you approached me about the book and then approached Looch. You say that he approached you, which I believe is not actually what happened.

George: I am using the term literally and in its literal meaning, it is his magnum opus.

None of this actually matters; however, since my neologism was to make a Latin expression out of Looch's name in a tongue in cheek fashion. The bottom line is this: it's a great book and a great achievement, with material and insights honed over years of performance. Folks are free to purchase or not. If you want great material that is fresh, compelling and road tested, I highly recommend it.
Message: Posted by: Looch (Sep 19, 2015 11:43AM)
Lol I don't even know what a magnum opus is... Is it a gun? :lol:
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Sep 19, 2015 11:47AM)
Some people don't need much opportunity to try and show their self inflated worth I guess...speaking from an informed position is probably most sensible...
Message: Posted by: Sven Rygh (Sep 19, 2015 02:25PM)
[quote]On Sep 19, 2015, DrTodd wrote:
Sven: you approached me about the book and then approached Looch. You say that he approached you, which I believe is not actually what happened.

[/quote]

Todd,

What in the wide world is this, a reliability competition?

You are right in that I approached you to get an advice about the book, and I did, because I was certain that you would handle my enquiry with a certain amount of discression and confidentiality

What happens next?
It didn't take you long to run along and tip Looch about my interest
That really surprised me, because up to that point, I concidered you a person to trust.
However, I decided not to mention it at that time.

But it is interesting, this confirms again how the sales campaigns George mentions above, works here.
Not to be reprimanded again for not speaking the truth, - I never lie btw, you will find the complete dialogue below.

Again, I'm surprised!

30. juli 14:17
Hello Todd!

I noticed your heads up for Looch's new book today

Now, I hardly buy new material anymore, except for when Richard, Bob Cassidy, Bruce Bernstein and a couple of others write something.
What I have bought and/or read from contemporary writers, particularly the younger, English ones, is absolutely not my cup of tea.

When it comes to Looch, my view is somewhat different, he stands out from the rest of that group.
I have his video and SAD, and I like most of what I have seen there.

However, it seems like most of what he is doing, is walk around/close up.
I don't much of that, and am worried in case I should buy the book, that I would end up with a whole lot of such material.
95%of what I do is stage work

What is you opinion on this?

Another thing, Looch isn't that old, and I wonder if everything in his book is properly tested before real audiences?

I would really appreciate your opinion on this!

All the best!

[i]Sven
He is doing corporate shows, publicity events etc. He has even working for mire than 10 years and older than you think

I would buy it if I were you[/]

30. juli 17:14

[i]Hi Sven
I hear your interested in TBP? If you have any questions please feel free and I'll be more than happy to discuss[/i]

Hi Looch
hehehe...I understand you have been talking with Todd?
Yes, I am concidering, but I have some questions.
Let me get back to you next week, I am a little busy right now

Take care

[i]Sven

Yes Todd mentioned it to me! I look forward to hearing from you [/i]

2. august 16:01

Hi again
I really had some questions, but I have thought things over, and the conclusion is that I won't buy your book.

Sorry for that, but good luck with it.

Sven

2. august 17:37 [i]

Hi Sven, no problem...any particular reason why?
Looch,[/i]

I asked myself last night if I really believe that I would find better material and learn things in TBP than what I can find in my own collection

The answer?
It is difficult to say, I don't know what the book is about.
An overview would help, but I guess I already have what I need.

....but by all means, I'm sure the book is great!
I'll let you know if I should change my mind
Message: Posted by: Looch (Sep 19, 2015 02:45PM)
Sven

Why on earth are you publicising private messages between me and you?

I really don't appreciate that at all

Bad form
Message: Posted by: DrTodd (Sep 19, 2015 02:56PM)
Sven: you confirmed to me that you will buy the book, so I said to looch that he should expect an order from you, and nothing more. You have chosen not to buy, which is cool, but to dismiss it without having read it and suggest that looch approached you simply appears odd to me.

Perhaps we could focus on the quality of book as it stands.
Message: Posted by: Sven Rygh (Sep 19, 2015 03:19PM)
[quote]On Sep 19, 2015, Looch wrote:
Sven

Why on earth are you publicising private messages between me and you?

I really don't appreciate that at all

Bad form [/quote]

I have never done that before!
However, having been accused by Todd right out of the blue for not speaking the truth, I did this time.
Anyway, most of the dialog was by me, and positive what you concern, so I don't understand what you don't appreciate.

What are you afraid of?
That other people see that you email around in attempt to sell your book?
Message: Posted by: Voodini (Sep 19, 2015 03:20PM)
[quote]On Sep 19, 2015, Looch wrote:
Lol I don't even know what a magnum opus is... Is it a gun? :lol: [/quote]

As we all know Looch, it's an ice cream. Get your facts right, man! ;)
Message: Posted by: Voodini (Sep 19, 2015 03:22PM)
[quote]
That other people see that you email around in attempt to sell your book? [/quote]

Wait, what? An author trying to sell his book? Whatever next? Perish the very thought!
Message: Posted by: Sven Rygh (Sep 19, 2015 03:25PM)
[quote]On Sep 19, 2015, DrTodd wrote:
Sven: you confirmed to me that you will buy the book, so I said to looch that he should expect an order from you, and nothing more. You have chosen not to buy, which is cool, but to dismiss it without having read it and suggest that looch approached you simply appears odd to me.

Perhaps we could focus on the quality of book as it stands. [/quote]

At what point did I dismiss the book?
On the contrary, without having read other than SAD and watched the video of Looch's things, - but not this book, I told him that I am sure that it is a great book, - on that background.

And Looch DID approach me, not the opposite.
That should be very clear from the pasted in dialog.
Message: Posted by: DrTodd (Sep 19, 2015 03:32PM)
Sven: you are not being fair here, you are being very selective with your quotes,

Now, for exposure sake, I cannot repost your message to me, but I will paraphrase. You were worried that perhaps some of the material in his book relied on methods that would be unworkable for your style of performance. Since we have spent many years on Mentalist Sanctum together, I was very sensitive to how you perform and reassured you that the material in the book is very workable indeed. Since Looch has also been on the Sanctum, I sent him a note saying that you were interested.

The one thing I can quote since you are sharing, is this

Sven: 'Thanks again,. I will get it!'

This looks unequivocal to me. Contrary to your allegation, I am not hyping or selling. Rather I am a serious mentalist who was trying to help a serious mentalist who asked me about another serious mentalist's new book. Fair enough you don't want it, but to condemn it without having read it is simply absurd.
Message: Posted by: Looch (Sep 19, 2015 03:41PM)
[quote]On Sep 19, 2015, Sven Rygh wrote
What are you afraid of?
That other people see that you email around in attempt to sell your book? [/quote]

You write as if I have been cold calling you!

A mutual friend tells me you want to buy the book so I get in contact to ask if you had any questions about it


What is your problem??
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Sep 19, 2015 03:56PM)
[quote]On Sep 19, 2015, Looch wrote:
What is your problem?? [/quote]

you didn't include a routine about a small monkey in a devil costume...
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Sep 19, 2015 04:02PM)
So lets get this straight...

sven asks todd about the book
todd tells sven about the book
sven says he's going to buy the book
todd mentions to looch that sven will be buying the book
looch speaks to sven about buying the book and if he can help in any way
sven tells looch he doesn't want to buy the book
looch asks for feedback
sven then gets shirty about the definition of a magnum opus, which to my surprise is not the latin version of Magnum P.I.
sven then brought up T.A. Waters work for some kind of strange comparison, despite never having read Looch's The Black Project - in fact, it had NOTHING to do with the actual work, just some kind of oneupmanship over the usage of a term that Todd merely used in his description, and has nothing to do with the title of the book at all...

so if sven is an example of how a professional conducts himself whilst discussing other professional's work - then shame on him...ego is a terrible thing...
Message: Posted by: Sven Rygh (Sep 19, 2015 04:11PM)
[quote]On Sep 19, 2015, DrTodd wrote:
Sven: you are not being fair here, you are being very selective with your quotes, [/quote]
Selective, because the rest of the coversation included other persons, of which it wasn't right to bring into this.)

[quote]Now, for exposure sake, I cannot repost your message to me, but I will paraphrase. You were worried that perhaps some of the material in his book relied on methods that would be unworkable for your style of performance. Since we have spent many years on Mentalist Sanctum together, I was very sensitive to how you perform and reassured you that the material in the book is very workable indeed. Since Looch has also been on the Sanctum, I sent him a note saying that you were interested. [/quote]

Absolutely.
And your point is?

[quote]The one thing I can quote since you are sharing, is this

Sven: 'Thanks again,. I will get it!' [/quote]

Of course you have my blessings for quoting this.
...and I changed my mind more or less before Looch's approach, and I was final on this two days after he did.
Is that a crime?

[quote] Fair enough you don't want it, but to condemn it without having read it is simply absurd. [/quote]

Todd,
Seriously, please stop doing this!
I have never, with one single word condemned the book and it's contents
I mentioned however.somewhere that MM&M goes for 65$, and I take it that I am free to do that.
Message: Posted by: DrTodd (Sep 19, 2015 04:17PM)
Correct but the selectivity omitted the fact that you declared you would buy the book, and hence my passing that good news onto Looch.

You cast doubt on it being a magnum opus without having read it...and then try to compare it to MMM, and I confirm that both should be considered as such relative to the people who wrote them...

Why can we not just focus on the quality of the book, the great feedback it is getting, and the community that is supportive of great work?
Message: Posted by: Sven Rygh (Sep 19, 2015 04:28PM)
[quote]On Sep 19, 2015, DrTodd wrote:

Why can we not just focus on the quality of the book, the great feedback it is getting, and the community that is supportive of great work? [/quote]
Please do!
Don't let me disturb you.
Message: Posted by: Marc O (Sep 20, 2015 12:38AM)
As a kid (hobbyist) talking to his parents (professional performers) I would like to say that this conversation isn't helping any of you....
This isn't about the book any more but about egos...

Bury the hatchet and move on guys.
Message: Posted by: George Hunter (Sep 20, 2015 09:36AM)
This appears to be the game: A promising new book comes out. Friends of the author praise it with the most extravagant term ever used in the Café in support of a new book. People who ask whether the extravagant term is warranted are attacked, and the term is reasserted, repeatedly. And, because "we say so," the rest of us are expected to believe the claim.

Let me clarify my only point with a different term. Asking whether a brand new book should, in fact, already be included in a field's "canon" is NOT an attack on the book, the author, or his friends.

I am moving on. I have no plans to return to this thread.

George
Message: Posted by: Dr Spektor (Sep 20, 2015 12:50PM)
Now THIS is an MAGNUM OPUS

[youtube]mLccxrDgi5U[/youtube]
Message: Posted by: DrTodd (Sep 20, 2015 02:02PM)
That's funny Dr Spektor.

Apart from some grousing about price, the thread in Penny counts more than 30 well known folks praising this. I really did not want to come off as hyperbolic, so have a read through the accolades here

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=574756&forum=15&start=420

Best wishes

Todd
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Sep 20, 2015 02:15PM)
Here's the game...

there is none...

its just someone who gave a book a review, that's all...nothing else...

just because someone has a thought about some kind of conspiracy, doesn't mean its true - no matter how loud they shout...

read the reviews, bite your tongue if you wish to be pedantic over a term used, and ask sensible logical questions if you have them, post reviews, talk, discuss - don't play games, be an adult - enjoy the fact that a very busy professional mentalist has shared something, he's there to answer fair questions, you'll get fair answers...job done...
Message: Posted by: George Hunter (Sep 20, 2015 07:01PM)
Iain:

Thanks so much for settling this.

George
Message: Posted by: George Hunter (Sep 22, 2015 09:57AM)
Okay, I have reread this thread and am somewhat chastened. I took the opportunity to consult an edition of the Oxford English Dictionary, and it featured two definitions of "magnum opus." The first definition refers to "a great and usually large work of art, literature, etc." The second refers to "the most important work" of a specific artist, writer, etc.

I now understand that Todd probably used the term in that second sense, and I now see that as more permissible than I did at first. One may, after all, refer to someone's project as HIS (or her) magnum opus--without declaring it the kind of "great work" that, in any case, only achieves a consensus over time. In over 40 years in higher education, I had honestly never heard the full term used merely in relation to a writer's best book to date; "opus" yes, "magnum opus" no. I now see that the full term is more permissible than I did a week ago. (I leave it to others to decide whether dictionaries should reflect how a term is actually used, or whether a community should adapt to what the dictionary says.)

But please also be open to where I understood myself to be coming from. It wasn't to quibble over a term or to cross swords with Todd or Atlas. I was reacting to the extravagant HYPE with which people in magic very often commend the products of their buddies. I probably misperceived this case as an example of that wider and deeper problem. We have all been burned by the problem; we bought a book, DVD, or effect that was flagrantly misrepresented by its endorsers. (I still reserve the right to dislike the practice when it IS occurring, and to call it by its right name, and I would welcome more company in advocating something like near-honesty in endorsements and reviews.)

George
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Sep 22, 2015 11:05AM)
I think the words to look up next may be "sorry" and "apology"...😃

Honestly George, that minor point of a term used by Todd and Todd alone, was just a phrase that a) suited Todd b) made a lift play on words/joke...

And yet THAT is being discussed far more than Looch's work itself. If there is hype, then quote it..be constructive...i see none personally.

And yes, friends share stuff, talk, all kinds of stuff don't they..its called being human.

I've not got the book, and I've known Looch a while. I even contributed something to it, but as I say, that's what friends do isn't it.

So can we move on from the strange pedantic episode now please...
Message: Posted by: George Hunter (Sep 22, 2015 11:56AM)
Iain:

This should be the last exchange between us, ever, because we live, think, and communicate from very contrasting assumptions.

You assume a virtual papal infallibility in support of any and all of your perceptions, thoughts, assertions, claims, opinions.

I am very clear that I am NOT infallible.

George
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Sep 22, 2015 12:11PM)
Really? cos you were absolutely certain you were right in your first few posts in this thread?! :applause:
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Sep 22, 2015 12:14PM)
And George, I don't say anything out of any "virtual papal infallibility", its just that I know myself well - and I am certain of my opinions because I spend a lot of time thinking and questioning them/it/myself...

in other words, I think before I speak...or make posts :baby:
Message: Posted by: George Hunter (Sep 22, 2015 01:14PM)
Re: "I am certain of my opinions"

I rest my case.
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Sep 22, 2015 01:37PM)
You must speak a different kind of English to me...
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Sep 22, 2015 01:41PM)
Maybe there's a pattern here...

noun
1.
a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.


2.
a personal view, attitude, or appraisal

I am certain of my personal views...
Message: Posted by: DrTodd (Sep 22, 2015 04:59PM)
[quote]On Sep 22, 2015, George Hunter wrote:
Okay, I have reread this thread and am somewhat chastened. I took the opportunity to consult an edition of the Oxford English Dictionary, and it featured two definitions of "magnum opus." The first definition refers to "a great and usually large work of art, literature, etc." The second refers to "the most important work" of a specific artist, writer, etc.

I now understand that Todd probably used the term in that second sense, and I now see that as more permissible than I did at first. One may, after all, refer to someone's project as HIS (or her) magnum opus--without declaring it the kind of "great work" that, in any case, only achieves a consensus over time. In over 40 years in higher education, I had honestly never heard the full term used merely in relation to a writer's best book to date; "opus" yes, "magnum opus" no. I now see that the full term is more permissible than I did a week ago. (I leave it to others to decide whether dictionaries should reflect how a term is actually used, or whether a community should adapt to what the dictionary says.)

But please also be open to where I understood myself to be coming from. It wasn't to quibble over a term or to cross swords with Todd or Atlas. I was reacting to the extravagant HYPE with which people in magic very often commend the products of their buddies. I probably misperceived this case as an example of that wider and deeper problem. We have all been burned by the problem; we bought a book, DVD, or effect that was flagrantly misrepresented by its endorsers. (I still reserve the right to dislike the practice when it IS occurring, and to call it by its right name, and I would welcome more company in advocating something like near-honesty in endorsements and reviews.)

George [/quote]

Thanks George, very much appreciated.

Best wishes

Todd
Message: Posted by: sjdavison (Sep 29, 2015 05:44PM)
I've not read any of this post as I'm on the train on a night out. I've seen however what I read briefly on the flick past, lots of negative and off topic remarks.

I for one will get this and be objective. It's a rarity these days. I know Looch but have never met him in person, but love his ideas; thoughts and workings. I'm sure it will be a winner.

Anyway, I look forward to this one.

Simon
Message: Posted by: Looch (Sep 30, 2015 07:12AM)
[quote]On Sep 29, 2015, sjdavison wrote:
I've not read any of this post as I'm on the train on a night out. I've seen however what I read briefly on the flick past, lots of negative and off topic remarks.

I for one will get this and be objective. It's a rarity these days. I know Looch but have never met him in person, but love his ideas; thoughts and workings. I'm sure it will be a winner.

Anyway, I look forward to this one.

Simon [/quote]

Try here buddy: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=574756&forum=15&start=420
Message: Posted by: guitarmagic (Oct 3, 2015 12:39PM)
Thanks for sharing your work Looch!

My experience with your previous works plus the recommendations from powerful performers and creators i.e. Dr. Todd Landman, Atlas Brookings, Marc Salem, etc. give a nod to informed, constructive views, criticisms and projections for The Black Project.

Let me know when my copy of The Black Project has posted. I'm eagerly awaiting the tracking number and to then dig in to the "real-world experience and astounding creativity" you have graciously chosen to share!

;-)