(Close Window)
Topic: Book recomendations
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (Jul 11, 2015 10:55PM)
I am currently looking at purchasing another book. the top three so far are Richards Collected Almanac,Art of Astonishment books, or the Apocalypse books. I would like to read mainly about longer tricks and am wanting some non card stuff but am not opposed to card stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also any other recommendations.
Those are really great choices for books.

You cannot go wrong with them.

Richard's Almanac is probably a good place to start since it will introduce you to lots of other magicians whose work you may like. Also the books are a joy to read. A lot of care went into the making of those books and Richard's writing.

You can then move on to to the Apocalypse books which mainly feature material from people who are not as well known. Still great books. But you will have to work harder when studying them.

Lastly - the Paul Harris books are some of my all-time favourites in magic. You will have great fun with them. Another good choice (if you can find a copy) is 'Simply Harkey' by David Harkey.

Anyway - you are definitely on the right track. If I had to make three recommendations it would probably be the three books you mentioned. A ton of material in there. They will keep you busy for years.

You may want to check out Denis Behr's site to get a feel for the contents of those books:

http://www.conjuringarchive.com/books.php

But like I say - start with any of those books. And then make sure you get the rest. They are the three best sources of magic around.
Absolutely - APOCALYPSE "features material from people who are NOT AS WELL KNOWN" according to Bob_Hummer, like: Dai Vernon, Ed Marlo, Bro. John Hamman, Ken Krenzel, Slydini, Frank Garcia, Larry Jennings, Derek Dingle, David Roth, Michael Vincent, Paul Harris, John Cornelius, Bernard Bilis, Max Maven, Martin Gardner, Sol Stone, Karrell Fox, Jay Marshall, Juan Tamariz, Richard Vollmer, Ascanio, Jeff Altman, Martin Nash, Ton Onosaka, Herb Zarrow, David Regal, Michael Ammar, Howie Schwarzman, Larry Becker, Paul Cummins, J.K. Hartman, Eddie Fechter, Richard Kaufman, Gary Ouellet, Randy Wakeman, Paul Gertner, Sid Lorraine, Jeff McBride, Tom Mullica, Amazing Randi, Martin Nash, Norm Houghton, Jack Chanin, Meir Yedid, Larry Becker, Alan Alan, Doug Edwards, Bill Kalush, Gene Maze, Dean Dill, David Williamson, Jim Swain, Aldo Colombini, Patrick Page, Eddie Taytelbaum, Eric DeCamps, Peter Duffie, Gerald Deutsch, Tom Craven, David Neighbors - many, most, of these many times - and on and on --- and, oh, Harry Lorayne. As you're told by Bob_Hummer - "All NOT AS WELL KNOWN".
So many great effects in Apocalypse.
But not by as-well-known people, according to Bob_Hummer. I'm completing a book right now (of stuff I've kept to myself for years/decades). If I can, after that's completed, my very last book would be ONLY MY APOCALYPSE - updates on my own contributions to APOCALYPSE over the 20 years, plus my versions - different handlings, different endings, etc. - of some of the contributions from others (some of those not as well known!)over the twenty years.
I love the Art of Astonishment books. They still remain my favorite books (someone is currently selling book 1 in the Books for sale section).
Apocalypse has a wealth of information, I keep telling myself I should look at them more often.
Don't have Richards Collected Almanac, but I've heard it's also great.

Are you looking to buy the complete collection at once, or one at a time? If price is a consideration (it is for me), you might want to start with single book (Collected Almanac). You can't go wrong either way.
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (Jul 12, 2015 09:43PM)
Price isn't an issue at this time
Then get all the books at once, at least that's what I Would do

I have read all of the books you mention from cover to cover (except some item that require wax or some paper crane gaff), I personally get the most out of it from AOA and Apocalypse.

CA has the most clear illustration, but the large portion was cover by some historical content. Still a great book nevertheless
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (Jul 13, 2015 01:58AM)
Thanks for the response. Sorry I should clarify. Im not interested in getting that much material right now
Cool. Let us know how you like the AoA books! :D
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (Jul 13, 2015 09:46PM)
Will do sir.
[quote]On Jul 11, 2015, Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse wrote:
I am currently looking at purchasing another book. the top three so far are Richards Collected Almanac,Art of Astonishment books, or the Apocalypse books. I would like to read mainly about longer tricks and am wanting some non card stuff but am not opposed to card stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also any other recommendations. [/quote]Another Book is a great choice by Karrell Fox.
I've got all three.

I'd vote Richard's Almanac first, for the variety of effects, the incisive commentary, and the pricetag.

Art of Astonishment comes mostly from one mind, but what a fertile mind it is! Downside is it'll cost you twice as much as Richard's Almanac.

As for Apocalyspe...first book was pretty good (it's also sold out), but subsequent volumes left, shall we say, a lot to be desired. My opinion anyway.
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (Jul 14, 2015 03:32PM)
That's kinda funny I'm getting Richards Almanac right now and am looking for AoA.
A vigilant buyer with patience can probably pick up the Art of Astonishment set here at the Café for under $75.
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (Jul 14, 2015 05:24PM)
Thanks for that tip. Since I'm getting the Almanac I'll wait it out instead of going to penguin, it's about a 100 there. It'll take me some time with the large amount t of material in the almanac.
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (Jul 14, 2015 05:58PM)
I was wondering if someone could tell me what the Apocalypse set goes for on the Café.
I recommend Richard's Almanac and Art of Astonishment unreservedly.

From RA: Rubber Ringer, Diamond Bar, Yours Mines and Ours, any of the Bro. John Hamman effects.

From AoA: Overkill, Shuffling Lesson, Galaxy worth price of proverbial entry.
Harry... Just curious. Do you recommend other books than your own to magicians?
Not usually - that is, not publicly, as on a magic forum; personally, of course.

Because - whenever I'd mention one publicly, years ago, I'd get screams from others that I didn't mention - "How come you didn't mention MY book?" etc.

I learned that over the TWENTY YEARS of publishing APOCALYPSE every month. Learned that I could avoid making enemies by NOT mentioning that I liked or recommended a certain book. That worked both ways, incidentally. I learned that if I couldn't say something good about a book or an item, best to say nothing. So, Magic-Daniel, have I explained myself clearly? Do you understand??!!

I'm sure you're aware of the fact that I mentioned HUNDREDS of other magician's NAMES, and featured their works, OVER TWENTY YEARS of APOCALYPSE. Many becoming known to magicians all over the world BECAUSE I mentioned/featured them in APOCALYPSE. And - the same goes for all the magicians I featured, some made known to the magic world originally, in my THREE VOLUMES OF BEST OF FRIENDS. ARE you aware of that? Just curious.

So, again, Mr. Magic-Daniel, have I explained myself clearly? Do you understand??!! Have I assuaged your "curiosity" properly?
Oh, when I published someone's trick or routine in APOCALYPSE that had appeared in a book of his then, of course, I'd mention that book - where it made perfect sense to do so - and I couldn't get flack from others.
[quote]On Jul 16, 2015, Harry Lorayne wrote:
I'd get screams from others that I didn't mention - "How come you didn't mention MY book?"[/quote]
I think the Café community can understand this.

Such screams for attention would get very, very tiresome.
Miss your point, Tim - care to elucidate?
I'm lucky - I'm dyslexic. Lucky 'cause that made me a much better teacher/writer - I teach as if everyone is like me, no ambiguities, no reason for a reader to think "What does he mean?" Just trying to make it clear that I don't get your point, Tim. Please clear it up for me, and everyone else. Thanks. (See what I mean? There's no way to not understand what I'm asking, so it should be easy for you to respond.)
I asked you a question in a very polite and friendly tone. Just a curious question...that was all... And then you give me this:

"So, Magic-Daniel, have I explained myself clearly? Do you understand??!" And again....:

"So, again, Mr. Magic-Daniel, have I explained myself clearly? Do you understand??!! Have I assuaged your "curiosity" properly?

Is that how you normally corresspond online or in real life? Someone ask you a very polite and friendly question, and just because the questions dosen't "suit" you, you respond like the above? Really?
Magic-Daniel, what is wrong with asking you if you understand Harry's response. Does that mean you never want to be asked a question. It seems you think it is okay for you to ask questions, but not other. Why are you here if no one can carry-on a conversation with you. Very strange response from you to Harry, and very disrespectful, in my opinion. Notice, I asked no questions of you.
By the way, I guess some members here indeed [i]do[/i] get the point in Tim's post. :angel:
I am not surprise to get that response from you, Bill. You have always have your very own and speciel way of communicating on the Café. That I of course only respect. Like, I respect Harry's way of communicating.

That is just not how I like to communicate with people. Online or live.
KevinKM99 said: "As for Apocalyspe...first book was pretty good (it's also sold out), but subsequent volumes left, shall we say, a lot to be desired. My opinion anyway."

My response to him re: that statement was deleted because I was much too harsh. I agree; I was; I got very annoyed. So let me respond in a "less harsh" way - Please pay no attention to obviously unknowledgeable MISLEADING, un-helpful, remarks, There - hope that's not too harsh and won't be deleted. I could list "lot's to be desired" items from those 15 years of APOCALYPSE - that I still use, that people all over the world perform - but it'd take too darn long and use up too many pages here.
Magic-Daniel: Sorry that you take my response to you so negatively. I "sensed" a bit of sarcasm in your post to me - if that is not the case you have my sincere apologies. And I did, really did, try to give you an intelligent answer as to why I don't "recommend."

Nicolino: If only "some" members here do get the point in Tim's post, perhaps you can explain that point to those who do NOT get his point, including me.
Thanks Harry for clearifying :)
[quote]On Jul 17, 2015, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Nicolino: If only "some" members here do get the point in Tim's post, perhaps you can explain that point to those who do NOT get his point, including me. [/quote]
Actually I didn't say I was one of those 'some', Harry. :innocent:

But... having a close look at Tim's post, which obviously deals with some people's [i]'screams for attention'[/i] that would get [i]'very, very tiresome'[/i] makes me indeed recognise that behaviour in some people here. Don't you feel that way, too?
Why does it seem as if you and Tim are both "screaming for attention"? I can't find any other reason for your, and his, posts. Perhaps you can enlighten me - I'm obviously not as smart/intelligent/able to "recognize" as you two.