(Close Window)
Topic: Has anyone tried using Palestinian 20 mils coins
Has anyone had any experience using Palestinian 20mils coins? They would appear to be a good contrast coin for half dollars. They are 30.5 mm so just .1 mm smaller than a half dollar and have a hole like a Chinese coin.

The ones I've been looking at on eBay are from 1942, bronze. I don't know what the thickness is like.

Any input welcome.
Message: Posted by: Michael Rubinstein (Jul 16, 2015 01:57PM)
That sounds awesome! Never saw them but might be a great contrast coin! Thanks for mentioning them.
Just googled it, I didn't even know anything about these coins!
I have four old Israeli "Pruta" coins from 1945, they're silver (at least in color) and quite bigger than half dollars.
I guess I'll have to look for these Palestinian coins next time I visit the flea market, and construct an Israeli-history-lesson routine with them.
Thanks for the reply Dr Rubinstein, I'm assuming if you've not come across them before in magic then there are probably very few who have.

According to this website (which has pictures) they are also 2.15mm thick, which should be the same as a Kennedy half.

[url=http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces16464.html]Numista 20 Mils 1942[/url]

edit: and thanks Daniel as well, that sounds like it could be an interesting routine.
I'd personally love to see such a routine, Daniel.
[quote]On Jul 16, 2015, daniel116 wrote:
Just googled it, I didn't even know anything about these coins!
I have four old Israeli "Pruta" coins from 1945, they're silver (at least in color) and quite bigger than half dollars.
I guess I'll have to look for these Palestinian coins next time I visit the flea market, and construct an Israeli-history-lesson routine with them. [/quote]

Unfortunately I believe it might not be a good idea. Coin (actually, any type of close up magic) routines are short and the patter is fairly concise, thus the message of history lesson won't be transmitted properely. Even worse, regarding this specific subject, unknowledgeable spectators might misinterpret the nature of the "Palestinian" coin. since these forums are about magic, I won't elaborate further, but these are just my thoughts about this...
Thai 10 baht coin is interesting...

[img]http://media.tumblr.com/cc6b359a8178c627f4f829106ea17019/tumblr_inline_mt4reis5oL1s9l66y.png[/img]
Just received some 20 mils coins I got off ebay.

I'll put up some pictures/thoughts this evening of how they look compared to half dollars, old English pennies, and how they fit in my half dollar shells.
Hopefully attached is a small photo showing the 20mils coin between a clad kennedy half, a walking liberty, a barber and a Victorian penny.

Size wise it is very similar to the half dollar, even more so than the English penny. It does fit nicely inside a shell, (I tried with a Schoolcraft walking liberty shell and it was a nice fit diameter wise) the coverage is reasonable, but it seems slightly thicker than a half dollar but this may simply be because it has very right angled edges, whereas half dollars seem rather rounded off.

Sorry about the size of photo, due to the constraints of the upload limits
Here's a picture side-on for thickness comparisons. That's the 20 mils flanked by a clad Kennedy and a Barber
Sorta like and East African 10cents piece.