(Close Window)
Topic: How to deal with Youtube reveals
I shudder when I see another reveal, not only because of the reveal, but because (in most cases) the person doing the reveal is a very poor prestidigitator.

The only way I feel that we can tackle this, is that we as magicians, upload as many spoof reveals as possible.

We will then flood the space with lot's of time wasting (and funny) reveals. The actual reveals could be then lost in the multitude of "David Blaine's Greatest Secret Revelealed" (etc) spoof videos the we upload.

We can take it further and appoint a panel of judges who award a quarterly prize to the best spoof reveal video (the prizes could be sponsored by players such as Murphy's)
We at The Magic Shop in Cape Town would most certainly contribute towards a prize.

So dear people let us go forth and create a huge amount of spoof reveals, create a huge amount of noise and drown out those idiots who are doing their best to take the Magic out of Magic
Welcome to the Café, Mike! :)

Brilliant idea! Hope this happens...

Doug
Hey, nice Insight you share in here, but I'm not sure it is the best way to deal with it... actually it might be counter productive and get people encouraged to make more "reveal" videos wheter genuine or a spoof.
Never saw the panic with these video reveals.

Most of these videos are done by people who bore you rigid with too much talk before they ever get to the point and who have zero presentation skills.

Your average punter is going to switch off very quickly.
Just never reveal the effect's name to anyone then they will never find it, or it'll make it more difficult for them.
Message: Posted by: TheDirectionalist (Aug 22, 2015 08:17AM)
I see this as a distraction not a solution..

We as magicians should be the bigger people and provide guidance to the young "revealers" Show them what magic is really all about. They don't realize that what they are doing is wrong.
I remmember a guy that also signed as Mike not that long ago being banned... I wonder what are his new Insights about it and wheter he decided to start being a productive member of the forum...

On the op, I agree with Dustin wholeheartedly, we should be(and thus set) an example of what we want to happen.
[quote]On Aug 22, 2015, WooverM wrote:
I remmember a guy that also signed as Mike not that long ago being banned... I wonder what are his new Insights about it and wheter he decided to start being a productive member of the forum...

On the op, I agree with Dustin wholeheartedly, we should be(and thus set) an example of what we want to happen. [/quote]

Not that Mike - no banning just waited for something productive to say.

I do not think the videos are harming us, just annoying us. Spoofing videos are actually quite funny and have a dig at these revealers - anyhow just a thought.
I don't think these videos pose too much of a threat for a few reasons: Very few ordinary people go look for magic tricks on the Internet, very few know the names of tricks and lastly, they are performed by sub-standard performers. People often don't think these are the real secrets.
[quote]On Aug 22, 2015, Dougini wrote:
Welcome to the Café, Mike! :)

Brilliant idea! Hope this happens...

Doug [/quote]

Many thanks Doug - I do hope something like this does appear on the horizon
You would be surprised how many people on here think revealing our trade to the public is ok.
I help families with life insurance. There's lots of people in this business good and bad. I still make a pretty decent living at it.

Just do what you do don't worry about what's happening out there.

j
Why is this thread in latest and greatest? I don't get it.
I don't think it's okay to reveal tricks on youtube but I stopped caring when I realized that 99% of the public don't care about magic secrets and would not go out of their way to learn how most tricks are done. Not only that but once I came to the realization that the true secrets of magic have almost nothing to do with methods, then I really stopped caring. Like Jim Steinmeyer says, "Magicians are guarding an empty safe."
MagicSa wrote:

"I don't think these videos pose too much of a threat for a few reasons:"

[quote]Very few ordinary people go look for magic tricks on the Internet,[/quote]

This is changing every day. Once upon a time you had to go to the library and even then it would be next to impossible to find a particular trick without a great deal of research. Now you can Google it.

[quote]very few know the names of tricks[/quote]

Google is amazing and getting better every day. In many cases you don't need to know the name of a trick. Just google "Card Comes To Top" for instance. Go ahead and try it. It will only take a second.

[quote]and lastly, they are performed by sub-standard performers. People often don't think these are the real secrets.[/quote]

Again, changing every day.

This is why, at the very least we must police ourselves. When a member of our community exposes something that is valuable he should hear from us.

Brian Brushwood revealed the invisible deck on his popular internet show. Brian absolutely destroyed his guests with his presentation. He presented it as the best card trick ever and for them it really was. Moments later he showed them and every one watching this show exactly how it worked including how to build the deck.
I have seen pages and pages of discussion about magic exposure on YouTube.

Where is the same outrage against those that steal magic and put it out on one-trick DVDs or products?
Stealing is bad. Often when accusations of stealing are made it turns out that what was thought to be the original was not.

One trick DVDs are a choice. Don't like em. Don't buy em.
Maybe one idea to prevent reveals would be to name all magic tricks "_______ Revealed". For example, instead of naming the trick "Tarantula" they should have named it "Tarantula Revealed", and anyone typing in "Tarantula Revealed" would just get the trailer.
[quote]On Aug 24, 2015, Bill08 wrote:
Maybe one idea to prevent reveals would be to name all magic tricks "_______ Revealed". For example, instead of naming the trick "Tarantula" they should have named it "Tarantula Revealed", and anyone typing in "Tarantula Revealed" would just get the trailer. [/quote]

No, it doesn't work that way. "The trailer" as you put it would probably be the first hit (as it is exact wording) but anything that a poster names or even tags with those words will also come up. Tagging is a big key for "click bait". I read that if you want more views on your blog or youtube, Tag it with "Justin Bieber is dead" or something similar to that. I tried it on a few blog entries of my own and had a spike in views :-)
After I had purchased and been using Subrosa for a while I seen an "Explanation of Theory 11's Subrosa Revealed" video on youtube and I was fuming! turns out it was a spoof video taking the p*ss I've never laughed so hard when I watched it as I could actually see someone making up the gimmick that was shown and trying to use it lol.
If anyone gets 5 mins and fancies a laugh, type in "Explanation of Theory 11's Subrosa Revealed" into youtube sit back and enjoy!......lol. More videos like this please

Daz :-)
I think it's a fun idea but I don't think it will make a difference. Since the beginning of the internet people have been trying to rig search results but search engines have gotten incredibly good. If people want reveal videos and they are out there the search engine will serve them up.
Late to the party, but I think Cameron's generally right. Sometimes in reply to a "how did you do that?" (if they persist after I smile and shrug): I'll say something to the effect of "Well, look, you could probably dig around on Google when you get home & eventually hunt down an explanation if you really have a burning desire to know, but you'll end up replacing this weird inexplicable thing you just saw with... just a trick. Which is bound to be vaguely disappointing, however ingenious the trick is, because the mystery's almost always more fun than knowing the secret." Everyone I've ever said this to has agreed on reflection that they didn't REALLY want to know.

Obviously you don't want things at the point where any minimally casually curious person will stumble across an exposé even if they're not especially digging for it, & there are probably some effects where that's unfortunately the case. But for the most part people aren't mystified and delighted by magic because the rigid code of omerta makes it impossible for an inquisitive layman to learn methods. (Google is definitely easier than thumbing through "Expert Card Technique" at the library, but it ain't THAT much easier.) They're mystified because they enjoy the feeling of being mystified. If they didn't, they wouldn't be watching you do magic! Even the people who feel compelled to try to work out how you did it are usually enjoying the mental exercise more than they are genuinely interested in the method——looking it up for them would be as pointless as filling in a crossword from the answer key. I very much doubt any substantial fraction of spectators are rushing to hunt down video of some adolescent stumbling through an explanation of a method. And I doubt even more that the handful who do learn how a few tricks are done suddenly lose the ability to enjoy an effect performed well. (YOU still enjoy it, don't you?)

TL;DR: They are not, in fact, always after your Lucky Charms.