(Close Window)
Topic: Dictionary Test ; Is this possible ?
Message: Posted by: spectrahue (Sep 7, 2015 07:45AM)
Here goes ; looking for a dictionary test / book test that goes like this ;

1. Pocket dictionary brought out and given to spectator to riffle through and stop wherever they like: (this goes on while the mentalist / magicians back is turned away from them)

2. Spectator stops at a random page and glances at the page number and first word / definition to commit to memory and does not say a word of it to anyone.

3. They then close it up and return to the mentalist who still has his back turned receiving it into his hands with back turned.

4. On his turn around back to spectator the mentalist can reveal the word or page number if he wishes or elaborate with a drawing or other without pumping for *** letters or anagrams .........

Ideal for close up or stage ?

Anyone know anything that comes close to this ?


thanks Nic
Message: Posted by: Nestor D (Sep 7, 2015 08:20AM)
Bob Cassidy has something that can be used that way, it is demonstrated at the end of his slate killer video :)

(I am not sure it is the perfect dictionnary test but it fits your conditions perfectly)
Message: Posted by: seamagu (Sep 7, 2015 09:39AM)
Hi Nic,

My book test in my collection, ' invisible mentalism' accomplishes just what you outlined above.

Regards,

Séa
Message: Posted by: Mr. F (Sep 7, 2015 09:42AM)
[quote]On Sep 7, 2015, seamagu wrote:
Hi Nic,

My book test in my collection, ' invisible mentalism' accomplishes just what you outlined above.

Regards,

Séa [/quote]

Is this something you've marketed?
Message: Posted by: seamagu (Sep 7, 2015 09:52AM)
Hi Mr.F,

I have not released it yet but I have shared it with a few people and git some great feedback. It is my go to booktest and is super easy to perform.

If there is enough interest I may look at releasing it. I was thinking of releasing it with my other booktest which is a reverse booktest where the spectator reads your mind!!

Best,

Séa
Message: Posted by: FoggFactor (Sep 7, 2015 09:55AM)
Hey Nic. Nate Kranzo performs and sells a book test done with a pocket dictionary. A random page is selected by the audience, the spectator opens to that (freely) chosen page, and you can instantly write down the word they are thinking of. And with Kranzo's effect, you can actually reveal two words per page. I have performed it and gotten great reactions. I'm a fan. It is called "Diction" if you are interested in looking up performance videos or the effect for purchase.
Message: Posted by: Godzilla (Sep 7, 2015 10:14AM)
Why, all the back turned to participant ?
Message: Posted by: seamagu (Sep 7, 2015 10:29AM)
Good point, there is no need to turn away from the spectator
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Sep 7, 2015 10:31AM)
Mine does exactly as described in the OP. You can find it in "The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy," and, as mentioned above, in my "Slate Killers" download from Penguin. The participant can open the pocket dictionary anywhere and the page number is not known to the performer.

It is also marketed by Ed Fowler (Carlyle) as "The Working Mentalists Dictionary."

It is simply an improvement and modernization of the original effect by Henry Bjorkland released over half a century ago.
Message: Posted by: spectrahue (Sep 7, 2015 01:48PM)
Great suggestions coming through... I will look into them and report back.
The reason for turning my back to the spectator while they search for a word is to negate any foul play... That is all
Thanks and keep those suggestions coming
Much appreciated Nic
Message: Posted by: minty (Sep 7, 2015 01:58PM)
I use Bob's, and got the pocket version from carlyletouch.com. I love it.
Message: Posted by: MichaelCGM (Sep 7, 2015 02:53PM)
OK I'm just curious. Someone with 27 posts and no profile describes an effect and no one hesitates to mention specific marketed effects ad where to get them. Am I the only one who thinks this should not be available on a searchable forum?
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Sep 7, 2015 03:30PM)
[quote]On Sep 7, 2015, MichaelCGM wrote:
OK I'm just curious. Someone with 27 posts and no profile describes an effect and no one hesitates to mention specific marketed effects ad where to get them. Am I the only one who thinks this should not be available on a searchable forum? [/quote]


It is a losing battle to complain.......
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Sep 7, 2015 04:31PM)
It's not against any rules to point someone to a source where they can buy a marketed effect. If you think about it, the sites where these things can be purchased are also publicly searchable.

Besides, if I feel like pointing someone toward a marketed effect OF MY OWN, are you saying I shouldn't do that?

By that reasoning, no marketed effect should even be described here- for description is all that has taken place. There has been no mention of methods- and that is what is prohibited in Penny.
Message: Posted by: MichaelCGM (Sep 7, 2015 05:36PM)
[quote]On Sep 7, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
It's not against any rules to point someone to a source where they can buy a marketed effect. If you think about it, the sites where these things can be purchased are also publicly searchable.

Besides, if I feel like pointing someone toward a marketed effect OF MY OWN, are you saying I shouldn't do that?

By that reasoning, no marketed effect should even be described here- for description is all that has taken place. There has been no mention of methods- and that is what is prohibited in Penny. [/quote]

Sorry, Bob, but that's a far cry from what's been the usual concern when someone sees a routine and comes looking for information about it. Of course, you'll disagree with me on that, and that's your prerogative, but someone coming to Penny with a description of something they saw someone do, and asking where they can find it has been frowned upon in the past. Evidently, some believe that it now OK to tell the general public that, "Yes. Mentalism is as simple as buying a product from son & so and you'll have the secret." Additionally, method WAS discussed. By naming direct sources in a public forum, we've given the general public direct access to the methods.

Thanks, now that I know the new perspective about Penny, I can change my position on protecting the trade.
Message: Posted by: FoggFactor (Sep 7, 2015 08:22PM)
[quote]On Sep 7, 2015, MichaelCGM wrote:
OK I'm just curious. Someone with 27 posts and no profile describes an effect and no one hesitates to mention specific marketed effects ad where to get them. Am I the only one who thinks this should not be available on a searchable forum? [/quote]

I clicked on his profile, saw that Nic has been a member since 2010, and decided that he is a magician who is afraid to comment because he will be called out for doing so (as he was in this thread) OR he saw this routine five years ago and has cleverly waited until now to post...

Either way, I am happy to help.

- Frank
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Sep 7, 2015 08:30PM)
I did the same thing. I checked his past posts, found out his name was Nic and that his interest in the art certainly is serious.

I do that with every new poster if I don't know who they are.

So, yes, I do disagree with you, Michael. If you had asked the question I would have answered it the same way.

And, again, there has been no exposure in this thread and no violation of Café rules.
Message: Posted by: Taterini (Sep 7, 2015 09:57PM)
[quote]On Sep 7, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Mine does exactly as described in the OP. You can find it in "The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy," and, as mentioned above, in my "Slate Killers" download from Penguin. The participant can open the pocket dictionary anywhere and the page number is not known to the performer.

It is also marketed by Ed Fowler (Carlyle) as "The Working Mentalists Dictionary."

It is simply an improvement and modernization of the original effect by Henry Bjorkland released over half a century ago. [/quote]


Hey Bob -

I've been hanging out with Ed a little in the last few months after realizing he was in my home state of Virginia.
I feel fortunate to have him as a friend and I've been like a kid in a candy store learning from him.

If you have time shoot me a PM
Message: Posted by: MichaelCGM (Sep 7, 2015 11:10PM)
[quote]On Sep 7, 2015, FoggFactor wrote:
[quote]On Sep 7, 2015, MichaelCGM wrote:
OK I'm just curious. Someone with 27 posts and no profile describes an effect and no one hesitates to mention specific marketed effects ad where to get them. Am I the only one who thinks this should not be available on a searchable forum? [/quote]

I clicked on his profile, saw that Nic has been a member since 2010, and decided that he is a magician who is afraid to comment because he will be called out for doing so (as he was in this thread) OR he saw this routine five years ago and has cleverly waited until now to post...

Either way, I am happy to help.

- Frank [/quote]

Hi Frank. I clicked on his profile as well. I'm not saying that he is insincere. His limited posts, without anything in his profile, were just one narrow aspect of the problem with this thread. If, indeed some considered him a sincere seeker, A PM would have provided him with some great information to guide him along - without making the same information readily available to the rest of the lurkers and curiosity seekers. I am always willing to help sincere seekers, but on a one-to-one basis, not in a crowd of people who just want to know how, for the sake of knowing how.

I've always considered Penny a place for general guidance to introductory teachings on the art of mentalism, suggesting 13 Steps and other great books on the subject, or other sources for introductory-level learning, and then helping with other reference material and/or in PMs, until the serious student reaches that *impossible* 50 posts to enter Inner Thoughts. (TIC) I know that when I started, I was advised to wait until I gained that magic number to ask more specific questions - like the one asked in this thread. And, I was happy to do so.

Imagine a similar question:

"I'm thinking about doing a prediction. I'd like to be able to have someone just think of a date, then hand them a weekly planner. When they looked up that date in the planner, it would match a prediction that I already made. Is this possible?

"Sure. Just go to Collectors Workshop and type in **********, and for 55 bucks, you can do it. Or, you can go to Penguin Magic and buy the secret for just 34 bucks and do it yourself. Glad I could help."

Of course, now we wouldn't have to use the asterisks - since, after all, it is a marketed effect. And, of course, if any of the other lurkers and curious public eyes have seen it performed by working mentalists (like myself) after those mentalists paid for Mr. C's effect, they would now be quite aware of how I accomplished such a stunning effect. Or, another mentalist or magician in my area - who had not thought of the effect in awhile could just add it to his/her act, now that they know what it's actually called and how inexpensive it is.

But you boys go right ahead. I'm sure that this won't negatively affect the mentalim community, or the people who have spent time and money to build their acts. (TIC) I know, from my PM in-box, that I'm far from the only one who sees this as a problem. Think about it, Frank. That's all I ask.
Message: Posted by: DocBenWiz (Sep 8, 2015 01:40AM)
I completely agree with your statements, opinion and suggestions MichaelCGM. PMing would have been more appropriate in this particular event being discussed and would have accomplished the satisfaction of spectranue's request.

:nose: :thumbsup:
Message: Posted by: TheSecretFire (Sep 8, 2015 01:42AM)
Hello spectrahue!

Yes, it is definitely possible. Just sent a PM with a few ideas.
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Sep 8, 2015 03:26AM)
MichaelCGM- After reading your last post I realized that I agree with you. I should have just PMd him with the info.

Just goes to show that we all make an occasional mistake.
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Sep 8, 2015 03:55AM)
[quote]On Sep 8, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:

Just goes to show that we all make an occasional mistake. [/quote]

Said the dalek climbing off the dustbin...
Message: Posted by: spectrahue (Sep 8, 2015 08:18AM)
Well there is nothing like putting the cat among the pigeons ; is there ?

Firstly let me put things straight ......the routine I refer to at the outset post a basi version of my own ....its the way I do it ...my own dictionary my own patter etc. This is the way I felt a thought reader should be able to do it ...cleanly and I don't want to tread on anyone's toes so was checking out what is out there because so far I can't get any cleaner than mine. (Carlyles ? not sure yet ...)

I ask for other sources to ensure I am not duplicating the wheel ...I made it 2 years ago had the idea 4 years ago simply because I could not find what I was looking for. every time I made a purchase I felt cheated somehow by the description and what you could do with it.

Mine is as it states above ........... I forgot to mention that you can perform it for 2 people at the same time with same hands off bit , separate pages etc. I shared the idea with Devin Knight and sent him 2 last year ....in an attempt to find the answer to my quest. He replied back saying it was very well made but he could not use it because the words were too small; (it is a pocket dictionary ....) some people hey ! For me my eyesight is like a hawk and I can see those words clear as day when I need to ...........

So far all the ones mentioned above that I viewed details and performances of (aside from Bobs) don't quite fit the description as cleanly as it reads.

profile .....

I am 43 years of age and been into magic since the age of 7 (Paul Daniels and Wayne Dobson fan through and through)
I have been a member on here long before 2010 but lost my log in details through computer error and my old posts are still on here.
I am an engineer, busy Teacher , Welding Inspector, full time Dad and immensely busy but always have a passion for magic. I perform infrequently due to the above commitments however I am aware that at some point I will break out of these restrictions and give myself more freedom to pursue my real love of magic.
In the mean time to ensure my sanity I plunged myself into with what little free time I had creating reading / researching and creating effects for my own persona. Some are still not quite right but I will get them there ....

I enjoy the forum and there is a lot to read ......it takes time to post so I appreciate those that do ...and now I sharing my insights and thoughts with you

so please rest assured I have took on board your comments and hopefully cleared the air a little.

best wishes Nic
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Sep 8, 2015 08:31AM)
I would be interested in it if you ever released it, as most other dictionaries and thesaurus based word tests are U.S. specific...i know I can explain it away, but it would be nice to have an English one...
Message: Posted by: MichaelCGM (Sep 8, 2015 08:57AM)
Loved our chat in PM, Nic - and loved your profile above. You need to put that on your Café profile page. It's really great, the way you said it. :)
Message: Posted by: MichaelCGM (Sep 8, 2015 09:02AM)
[quote]On Sep 8, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
MichaelCGM- After reading your last post I realized that I agree with you. I should have just PMd him with the info.

Just goes to show that we all make an occasional mistake. [/quote]

Not necessarily a mistake, Bob - just an opportunity to express differing perspectives. I'm sure that you've changed my mind on a few things as well, over the years. :)
Message: Posted by: Mifune (Sep 8, 2015 09:53AM)
I like how this disagreement took place. Thank you.
Message: Posted by: FoggFactor (Sep 8, 2015 12:06PM)
I see your point Michael and although I don't fully agree, I do understand the concern. But by only PM'ing information to the OP and not answering the question, we are helping ONE individual. By answering his question in the public forum, we are creating a resource for future users who use the search feature to answer their questions. It is frustrating to filter through ten posts about a topic and none of them have any answers, I'm sure you've been there.

I used personal judgement based on his profile to provide an answer. If Penny is only meant to be a resource for beginners, why don't we make 5 or so threads with beginner information, lock the those threads and then explain when they get 50 posts they can discuss serious mentalism in the private forums. We do the same thing in other forums. Magician asks about a card trick and 8-10 magicians weigh in to share all the knowledge they have about that plot. Books, DVDs, products, websites, prices and so on.

I get where you are coming from. And like Mifune mentioned, that you for handling this discussion waaaaaay better than anyone else would have.

Just my thoughts on it.

- Frank
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Sep 8, 2015 12:58PM)
I thought I handled it pretty well, too. :eek:
Message: Posted by: Stu Montgomery (Sep 8, 2015 01:17PM)
Spectrahue
"...Wayne Dobson fan through and through." In that case you've got my vote :)
Message: Posted by: FoggFactor (Sep 8, 2015 01:42PM)
[quote]On Sep 8, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
I thought I handled it pretty well, too. :eek: [/quote]

Proud of you Bob. I'll see you at Mindvention and buy you a drink!
Message: Posted by: spectrahue (Sep 8, 2015 02:50PM)
Hi folks, once again thanks fro the great response and I assume from the post posts that the air is clear. I see why the concerned post originated and was merely an act to defend the Art ...In hindsight It should maybe have been posed differently however I would argue that with most careers there is merit in the form of Qualification which is gained through experience, knowledge, passion for the career and an exam or test of some description.

If the test of someone's Integrity to the Art of Magic is based upon the number of posts alone then there are a lot of people out there like myself who won't hit the mark but have lots to share. Surely a better approach rather than (50 posts plus) would be for the candidate to give answers to Magical dilemmas ,scenarios or problems which cover the Art in an Holistic manner.

For example; Please answer to the best of your knowledge and understanding one of the following.

. How can Time Travel be demonstrated using a standard deck of cards with 1 gaff ?
. Explain mis direction
. Name a principal in Magic / Mentalism and give an example of its use.
. Explain the difference between Impromptu , Self Worker and Set up
. True or false ? in Magic Pasteboard terminology ..Changing your top in public will alarm the crowd ? Give your reasons ........

This is surely much more interesting for both parties and will draw upon the candidates experience and knowledge to provide an answer. The answer of course would then be subjected to feedback rating and so long as the answer meets a relatively good standard they would be free to mix with the Gods of the Art.

After all you don't want to Alienate all and sundry because they have very few posts ....

just a thought ...............What do you think ?

Best Wishes Nic
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Sep 8, 2015 03:03PM)
I agree, but in reality, I don't think the Café is set up to go through each application...the now defunct Learned Pig would ask for an original presentation as part of the joining up - I always thought that was good...
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Sep 8, 2015 04:36PM)
Every forum I've ever run has used those kinds of application questions.
Message: Posted by: MichaelCGM (Sep 8, 2015 05:27PM)
[quote]On Sep 8, 2015, spectrahue wrote:
Hi folks, once again thanks fro the great response and I assume from the post posts that the air is clear. I see why the concerned post originated and was merely an act to defend the Art ...In hindsight It should maybe have been posed differently however I would argue that with most careers there is merit in the form of Qualification which is gained through experience, knowledge, passion for the career and an exam or test of some description.

If the test of someone's Integrity to the Art of Magic is based upon the number of posts alone then there are a lot of people out there like myself who won't hit the mark but have lots to share. Surely a better approach rather than (50 posts plus) would be for the candidate to give answers to Magical dilemmas ,scenarios or problems which cover the Art in an Holistic manner.

For example; Please answer to the best of your knowledge and understanding one of the following.

. How can Time Travel be demonstrated using a standard deck of cards with 1 gaff ?
. Explain mis direction
. Name a principal in Magic / Mentalism and give an example of its use.
. Explain the difference between Impromptu , Self Worker and Set up
. True or false ? in Magic Pasteboard terminology ..Changing your top in public will alarm the crowd ? Give your reasons ........

This is surely much more interesting for both parties and will draw upon the candidates experience and knowledge to provide an answer. The answer of course would then be subjected to feedback rating and so long as the answer meets a relatively good standard they would be free to mix with the Gods of the Art.

After all you don't want to Alienate all and sundry because they have very few posts ....

just a thought ...............What do you think ?

Best Wishes Nic [/quote]

Let's look at the logic. As I said, it was NOT a matter of merely giving information to someone that is believed, by some, to be a serious student of the art. It was more about giving that information in a public forum which we know attracts the merely curious. That, Nic, was the primary concern. As for the profile issue, had you included a brief profile on your profile page, it would have allowed others to know more about who you are - yet the answers would have STILL been displayed before the public-eye. A few PMs would have provided the information without the need to reach the 50 post access to Inner Thoughts, or the need for an application based on knowledge. Finally, you believe that there are a "lot of people" who have "lots to share," but won't hit the mark. Let me ask you, if these people, indeed have "lots" to share, how long, really, would it take to hit the 50 posts? You've been a member for five-years and, at the time of your question, had only posted 27 times. That's just a little over five posts per year. Ask yourself, does that equate to "lots to share"?

I've been a member for six-years, with my new Username. Like you, I was a member before, but lost my log-in pass-word and had to start from scratch. In six years, I've averaged a teensy-weensy (sp) bit over 300 posts per year - and I DON'T consider myself to have "lots to share." Most of the time, I'm just reading or clicking "like," now that the "like" feature has been added. Now, please do not take this the wrong way. I'm not knocking the number of posts you feel led to make. I'm also not bragging about the number of posts that I have made - since, in both cases, some of our posts were asking questions of the great men who have gone before us. I'm just saying that if one does have "lots to share," the 50 post requirement pretty much flies by in no time.

Just food for thought. I look forward to everything you have to share, Nic, and hopefully meeting you one day. I'm sure I will be blessed.
Message: Posted by: spectrahue (Sep 8, 2015 05:38PM)
Point noted .....and I will just add that the posting doesn't take into account the pms I have sent over the years as well as the variety of emails to fellow compadres.Wish it did !

My aim here is to share with like minded individuals such as your good self and I would love to hit the 50 mark just get more in depth with my peers.

appreciatively NIC
Message: Posted by: MichaelCGM (Sep 8, 2015 05:57PM)
[quote]On Sep 8, 2015, spectrahue wrote:
Point noted .....and I will just add that the posting doesn't take into account the pms I have sent over the years as well as the variety of emails to fellow compadres.Wish it did !

[/quote]

Good point, Kimosabe. :) Let me ask you this, Nic. If you had to make a choice between magic and mentalism, which would you choose?
Message: Posted by: spectrahue (Sep 10, 2015 08:07AM)
Hi Michael,

Its a good question but in order for me to answer it I would need more information ..

In what context would the choice need to be made ?

For example if I was working in a room with hearing impaired individuals ...or a very noisy environment like a night club I would have to lean towards magic because an illusion can be performed very visually and without words ...the story can be told silently just like Charlie Chaplin , Laurel and Hardy.
Yet Mentalism I feel always requires much more than a visual display of dexterity and wonder; a lot of verbal direction, verbiage and set up go into many effects just to achieve the desired outcome.

Does this make sense ?

Nic
Message: Posted by: spectrahue (Sep 10, 2015 08:23AM)
Incidentally I worked for 15 years in nightclubs and pub as a Door Security Operative , Bouncer ..this didn't fit well with myself and I was known as the magic doorman ; this is were I would practice my close up material and patter, I would take (SherRock)Rocky Racoon out with me and we would do our rounds , making sure everyone was behaving themselves. Searching for illegal contraband etc.

I remember one night the local police attended the club I was working at in Loughborough. They had their Sniffer dog; she was being trained up. I asked as to the cost of such training etc for this Dog and the trainer said around £12000 !
I told him that I also had an animal that I used for detecting drugs etc and that he only cost £30 .....He said yeh but what about the training ...I said he does it on the job ; Earn as you learn. What do you pay him he asked; "Lots of Attention " I replied (still unsure as to what this animal was he now looked completely baffled and asked "What breed is it ?" I told him a RACCOON !
"F+++ OFF !" WAS HIS REPLY ...To which I said hold on .....YEP HES FINSHED HIS NAP ...here he (I kept him behind the counter) ...here he is...meet Rocky (animating as such)
The dog was going crackers the trainer was in shock.

My door friend colleagues were wetting themselves and I was dead pan serious.............

Nic
Message: Posted by: MichaelCGM (Sep 10, 2015 03:48PM)
[quote]On Sep 10, 2015, spectrahue wrote:
Hi Michael,

Its a good question but in order for me to answer it I would need more information ..

In what context would the choice need to be made ?

For example if I was working in a room with hearing impaired individuals ...or a very noisy environment like a night club I would have to lean towards magic because an illusion can be performed very visually and without words ...the story can be told silently just like Charlie Chaplin , Laurel and Hardy.
Yet Mentalism I feel always requires much more than a visual display of dexterity and wonder; a lot of verbal direction, verbiage and set up go into many effects just to achieve the desired outcome.

Does this make sense ?

Nic [/quote]

That does, indeed make sense, Nic. The reason I asked the question wasn't in regard to the needs of the market, but rather to see which holds a deeper spot in your heart. I enjoy performing magic for children. I love that to hear them laugh and give them a moment of wonder and amazement. I also enjoy performing magic for our seniors, so I give super-low rates to any recognized senior-group, as my way of giving back to them for all they have done for our country. But for young adults and adults, I prefer to perform mentalism, since it still has that feel of realness to it and still makes people wonder and question their own worldview.

But, if I could choose only one, if I had to LIMIT myself to just one type of performance, I would have to choose mentalism. For me, magic has always been a part of my life and a deeply held love of the craft, but mentalism still holds the mystique that magic once held in society. Does that make sense?
Message: Posted by: spectrahue (Sep 11, 2015 04:51AM)
Yes it does make sense Michael and now you seem to have kind of alluded to a context I can provide an answer to your question.


"If you had to make a choice between magic and mentalism, which would you choose?"

I would go for Magic as this for me can be performed in more variety of settings and is not limited to by the venue it is performed in.

The thrill for me when I perform for people is the sense of wonder I create in their minds that anything is possible and my ultimate aim is to entertain them ...let them take their minds off things for a while and spend some time in my crazy world; much like my inspirational magicians of choice Wayne Dobson and Paul Daniels.

I grew up with these Masters of the Art on the t.v and when these guys came on I could escape from the Domestic troubles that were going on our house .....We had one Colour T.V and one Black and White I persuaded my parents to let me watch it on the colour in the front room; Saturdays and Sundays only for colour apparently ?). Great !

This was probably one of the very few times during the week when both my parents would stop the arguing, sit together and watch, I would see them both smile (I was happy and so were my younger sisters)....they couldn't help it, it wasn't so much the magic trick itself but more of the manner in which it was performed with the quick wit , adlib , innuendo and jokes,
I knew that these man had a gift from the gods combining their infectious personality with their Art ...not just the entertainment value but the ability to stop people in their tracks , take them away from what they are doing for a brief moment in time and think about reality.

I experienced normal family life for those 30 minutes that these guys were on each week .....I had a taste of normality so to speak and I aspired to be just like them .....

I hope that I do these guys justice when I perform and bring smiles to peoples faces ...


Nic
Message: Posted by: ed wood (Oct 2, 2016 08:37AM)
Digging up an old thread here but.......which book test in artful mentalism is it that bob referred To? There is so much in this book and I can never find what I'm looking for, a page number would be much appreciated if anyone has a copy to hand.
Thanks, ed
Message: Posted by: Last Laugh (Oct 2, 2016 07:14PM)
It's described on page 171 of volume one, but it's just a description.
I'll PM you where you can purchase one.
Message: Posted by: ed wood (Oct 3, 2016 05:22PM)
[quote]On Oct 2, 2016, Last Laugh wrote:
It's described on page 171 of volume one, but it's just a description.
I'll PM you where you can purchase one. [/quote]

Thanks for the pm. Much appreciated.
Pg 171 is a description of the moleskin divination, am I missing Something?
Message: Posted by: Last Laugh (Oct 3, 2016 10:49PM)
I have the ebook, maybe it's a different layout?
It's in "The Magazine Challenge" under Brain Busting, a few pages after the Moleskine in mine.
Message: Posted by: ed wood (Oct 4, 2016 05:41AM)
Aah, got it. Pg 199 of the book.
Cheers, Ed
Message: Posted by: saysold1 (Oct 4, 2016 10:55AM)
[quote]On Sep 10, 2015, MichaelCGM wrote:
[quote]On Sep 10, 2015, spectrahue wrote:
Hi Michael,

Its a good question but in order for me to answer it I would need more information ..

In what context would the choice need to be made ?

For example if I was working in a room with hearing impaired individuals ...or a very noisy environment like a night club I would have to lean towards magic because an illusion can be performed very visually and without words ...the story can be told silently just like Charlie Chaplin , Laurel and Hardy.
Yet Mentalism I feel always requires much more than a visual display of dexterity and wonder; a lot of verbal direction, verbiage and set up go into many effects just to achieve the desired outcome.

Does this make sense ?

Nic [/quote]

That does, indeed make sense, Nic. The reason I asked the question wasn't in regard to the needs of the market, but rather to see which holds a deeper spot in your heart. I enjoy performing magic for children. I love that to hear them laugh and give them a moment of wonder and amazement. I also enjoy performing magic for our seniors, so I give super-low rates to any recognized senior-group, as my way of giving back to them for all they have done for our country. But for young adults and adults, I prefer to perform mentalism, since it still has that feel of realness to it and still makes people wonder and question their own worldview.

But, if I could choose only one, if I had to LIMIT myself to just one type of performance, I would have to choose mentalism. For me, magic has always been a part of my life and a deeply held love of the craft, but mentalism still holds the mystique that magic once held in society. Does that make sense? [/quote]

I am in complete and utter agreement Michael - my journey is/was the same.