(Close Window)
Topic: Amazebox by Mark Shortland
Hey guys so this past week I was over at the Vanishing Inc booth at Genii and they had this amazing new switching utility device called Amazebox. This thing is truly amazing. It's completely hands off as the spectator is the one who does the switch. These were flying off the shelf the whole week. I got one myself and have been having a blast with it. It looks and feels just like a cardboard box, because that's all it is, so it will pack flat. I have a show coming up soon and can't wait to use it, it's so deceptive. I know that they said currently this is not online, so I'm not sure when they'll have a trailer or any more information. Just thought I'd post this so people could keep an eye out for it!
Sounds interesting :) Can't wait to here more details.
Yeah it's a super clever gimmick. Plus since its just a cardboard box it looks super innocent
I've gotten a few PMs about this. To clarify, it's a box slightly smaller than a shoebox made to switch out billets. It resembles a ballot box
Message: Posted by: TheTableTopTrixta (Oct 11, 2015 05:35AM)
I predict every working mentalist will want to own a copy. Having seen this built from the ground up I can say it is 100% genius.

A flat pack, cardboard billet box.

If you are looking for something that will attract ZERO suspicion this is it.
Whenever I get something new, I tend to try it on my family first just to see their reactions. With this my brother was so confused as to how it worked because I never went near the box. It really is that clean. I mainly so close up shoes but after getting this I'm planning on doing more parlor gigs, just so I can use this!
Hey guys!

I can't tell you how truly excited I am to share this with you!

The Amazebox launches this Friday and you will love it!

- Endless possibilities!
- Organic looking
- The magician NEVER touches the box

Not trying to hype it to much, but for real! It's amazing!

-Kyle
Amazebox launches this Friday.

[IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/20axhsz.jpg[/IMG]

I'm so excited to share it with you guys!

-Kyle
Amazebox launches tomorrow!

“Mark Shortland has created an ingenious and devious solution to an age old problem. Natural looking, hands off in operation and simple to use; this might well be exactly what you are looking for.” - Luke Jermay

[IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/t69t1d.jpg[/IMG]

Excited to share more!

-Kyle
Kyle,

put one aside for me :)

Thanks
Its friday. Where is the trailer?
[quote]On Oct 16, 2015, danskefogden wrote:
Its friday. Where is the trailer? [/quote]

Haha! It's coming in one hour!

Kyle
[url=https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/great-magic-for-big-crowds/amazebox/]Amazebox is now available![/url]

Once in a while we come across a trick with a method that is as inspiring and whimsical as the effect it creates. "AmazeBox" is the best example of this that we've ever encountered (think of the wow factor of the best Tenyo items...but this one you can use onstage for hundreds of people). It is simply, elegantly this: a box that switches and forces without you ever touching it. No electronics. In fact, the method is most closely related to origami.

[youtube]CMIDnNFcDXc[/youtube]

Imagine this: you ask everyone in the audience to write down their favorite song (or first kiss, or three-digit number, or whatever you want) on a slip of paper and drop it into the cardboard box at the foot of the stage. The box never goes out of sight and (truly) nobody touches it. During your show, you invite a spectator to approach the box and open it, then reach inside and remove any slip at random. In the act of opening the box, the spectator unknowingly switches all the audience's papers for an entirely different batch of slips you prepared in advance. Use this to force a favorite song or number or celebrity name. THEN, you can use the information written by the spectators later on in the show

Mentalists will immediately identify the many, many opportunities this little box affords. It's as light as air, can be decorated or repurposed in any way you like, and is quite possibly the only effect we've produced that is easier than easy. The spectator switches the papers. You don't even touch the box.

We're absolutely thrilled with the ingenuity of this incredible little box, and the way the box is designed and folded makes the switch automatic. It's impossible to fail and, we think, impossible to figure out. The fun, toy factor is undeniable, but true professionals will find this piece invaluable. We are grateful to the creative Mark Shortland for working with Vanishing Inc. Magic on this exciting new release.

[IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/ejd.jpg[/IMG]

Here's what others are saying!

"Mark Shortland has created an ingenious and devious solution to an age old problem. Natural looking, hands off in operation and simple to use; this might well be exactly what you are looking for." - Luke Jermay

"This is one of the most exciting new tools I have seen. It not only is super cool and clever, it's extremely versatile and completely practical. This is something I will use". - Dan White

"Amazebox is enormously practical, and is as ingenious as the best Tenyo effects, but built into a stage prop that looks entirely normal" - Joshua Jay

"I'm using AmazeBox in my show. As soon as I saw it I knew that every mentalist and magician could find a use for it in theirs too!" - Andi Gladwin

"I've never been so excited for a magic utility device in my career!" - Kyle Marlett

"This prop is beautifully invisible to the audience. Organic and powerful. I can’t wait to try new magic with this Amazebox!" - Justin Flom

"I've performed a Q & A act for over a decade. I've tried so many methods to appear natural and hands free. Bags, boxes, envelopes. This is the most innocent looking method I have ever seen! And completely hands free. I'll take 2. When you see something this good, always buy a spare" - Paul Draper

" The best gimmicks in magic are the ones who fool you even when you know how they work. When I first saw this I knew what it was and what it did, yet I didn't see it happen! Seemless, elegant and beyond deceptive! Best mentalism gimmick I've seen this year!" - Spidey

"Very clever design and practical for working performers. Deceptive and hands-off, what more could you ask for?" - Eric Dittelman

Here's Kyle Marlett to explain more!
[youtube]b0kq9JRl4Dw[/youtube]
BRILLIANT!
I don't think it is a good idea for any of you to use this. (That way I'll be the only person using it.) ;)

This looks really genius!!!
[quote]On Oct 16, 2015, magicmonkeyphoto wrote:
I don't think it is a good idea for any of you to use this. (That way I'll be the only person using it.) ;)

This looks really genius!!! [/quote]

I totally agree. This looks awful. No one should buy this... (except me...)
Fantastic
Can't wait to get one of these!
Wow this is so cool and amazing.
Got to have one.
Todd :pepper:
I already something on the other thread, but this is a brilliant idea. It looks like something that will become a workhorse in the mentalism community.

Greg
Look's cool ,hope some UK dealer's get this.
We have it arriving on Wednesday.

http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/new-magic-to-special-order/amazebox--gimmicks-and-online-instructions--by-mark-shortland-and-vanishing-inc--trick.html
This looks really cool! Very clever idea that looks quite deceptive. Love the fact that the performer does not even have to go near the box!
[quote]On Oct 17, 2015, Fire Starter wrote:
Look's cool ,hope some UK dealer's get this. [/quote]

Vanishing Inc. ships from the UK! We have them in stock and have been shipping them all weekend. See [url]www.vanishingincmagic.co.uk[/url].

Thanks for supporting the creators direct. We truly appreciate it!
This is also available to order from Merchant of Magic. It looks to be the cheapest UK price too at £32.49.

http://www.magicshop.co.uk/p146905/AmazeBox_(Gimmicks_and_Online_Instructions)_by_Mark_Shortland_and_Vanishing_Inc_-_Trick/product_info.html
Just ordered mine. so simple. :)
I can see myself using this as an acaan effect. I will get this definitly
The bill switch/serial number read is so simple and perfect for my act!
I want one as well ,look's the biz.
Mine was shipped today.
Should be here by Wednesday.
Can't wait to try it out.
Todd
If this isn't an endorsement for AmazeBox idk what is. I had left mine outside my room last night to remind me to work on a new routine with it. I woke up to find it missing. Turns out my dad brought it with him to bring to the dump after work was over. Thankfully I got to him in time, but he legitimately thought it was just an old box and that I didn't need it. It's that innocent looking!
Does it come with routine ideas or is it just the box?
I got mine today. Easy to put together BUT watch the whole video FIRST and follow the instructions exactly. It is exactly as you see and works nicely. It is a very well thought out and cleverly constructed item. I will use this next to my Black Box (Samuels) and use this one for kids (if any show up to my shows). I am disappointed that at least one routine was not included on the video and I'm not sure why the creator chose to do that (not that it will be that hard for you to come up with something).
Our stock arrived today and I've just watched the video, as Jaizon says the video trailer shows what you get and how it works.

He does mention routine ideas but does not explain full routines but really this is open to being used in numerous ways.

This is great release well done Mark.

We have them in stock ready to ship.

http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/paul-harris-magic-tricks/amazebox--gimmicks-and-online-instructions--by-mark-shortland-and-vanishing-inc--trick.html
Received mine today also.Wow I love it.
So innocent looking.And very simple to construct.
Took me about 15 minutes including waiting for one
simple glue joint to dry.But as jaizon said do watch
the online video before putting it togeather.
This will be going in my show this week for sure.
Todd :thumbsup:
[quote]On Oct 21, 2015, jaizon wrote:
I got mine today. Easy to put together BUT watch the whole video FIRST and follow the instructions exactly. It is exactly as you see and works nicely. It is a very well thought out and cleverly constructed item. I will use this next to my Black Box (Samuels) and use this one for kids (if any show up to my shows). I am disappointed that at least one routine was not included on the video and I'm not sure why the creator chose to do that (not that it will be that hard for you to come up with something). [/quote]

What product are you referring to when you say "black box"?
I got mine today. Easy to put together BUT watch the whole video FIRST and follow the instructions exactly. It is exactly as you see and works nicely. It is a very well thought out and cleverly constructed item. I will use this next to my Black Box (Samuels) and use this one for kids (if any show up to my shows). I am disappointed that at least one routine was not included on the video and I'm not sure why the creator chose to do that (not that it will be that hard for you to come up with something). [/quote]

I ordered mine and it should be here soon.

As a utility type prop that's probably why no routines included.
[quote]On Oct 21, 2015, hashtagmagic wrote:

What product are you referring to when you say "black box"? [/quote]

The Black Box by Eric Samuels. MentalismTools.com
Any issues with spectator opening the box? I'm concerned that a spectator might see some moving parts while opening the box.
[quote]On Oct 22, 2015, smacks183 wrote:
Any issues with spectator opening the box? I'm concerned that a spectator might see some moving parts while opening the box. [/quote]

This is very unlikely the instructions you give them to open the box are quite clear so as long as you follow them you will be ok.
This may be a little bit more angle sensitive than I first thought. Have to wait an see.
[quote]On Oct 22, 2015, smacks183 wrote:
Any issues with spectator opening the box? I'm concerned that a spectator might see some moving parts while opening the box. [/quote]

I really don't thing there will be any issues. I've done this in a number of shows now and not once have I had to worry of them finding anything or seeing anything.

Also, when the spectator opens the box, it basically "locks" everything in place if that makes sense. So there's no need to worry for them to find anything once opened.

Hope that helps!
-Kyle
If you're using as a billet switch then surely they're not looking for anything anyway? If you're using it to change one model of mobile phone into another then obviously they'll be wondering where the other one went.
[quote]On Oct 23, 2015, Therealmagician wrote:
If you're using as a billet switch then surely they're not looking for anything anyway? If you're using it to change one model of mobile phone into another then obviously they'll be wondering where the other one went. [/quote]

True, but if you are switching one phone for the "same" phone then are not. I think there's a lot of potential with that. Placing their phone in the box for safe keeping, having them open the box and the magician takes "their" phone and smashes it in a roulette style game while a stage hand strikes the box and loads it in a prediction chest etc!

-Kyle
I wonder if this could be fashioned to look like one of the old "happy meal" boxes like this. Lol.
[quote]On Oct 23, 2015, Therealmagician wrote:
If you're using as a billet switch then surely they're not looking for anything anyway? If you're using it to change one model of mobile phone into another then obviously they'll be wondering where the other one went. [/quote]

These are meant for billets not phones me thinks. This is a very old mentalism concept with a new twist.

Anything else is a magic trick.

A magic trick makes the box suspect.
Looks really cool but what I would like to know from those that have it, how well will this hold up to someone picking it up, turning it upside down, and shaking it???? I can just already see that will happen(At least for me and who I do tricks for)..
[quote]On Oct 23, 2015, Kuroth wrote:
Looks really cool but what I would like to know from those that have it, how well will this hold up to someone picking it up, turning it upside down, and shaking it???? I can just already see that will happen(At least for me and who I do tricks for).. [/quote]

If they happen to do that nothing will come out, but that is an audience management problem not a problem with the box (IMHO).
How many billets can we switch please ?
[quote]On Oct 23, 2015, Ypnoze wrote:
How many billets can we switch please ? [/quote]

Instructions say 20-24 billets.
Thanks bowers !
[quote]On Oct 23, 2015, bowers wrote:

Instructions say 20-24 billets. [/quote]

That's annoying, I wanted to use it for a lottery prediction with at least 36 billets.
[quote]On Oct 24, 2015, Therealmagician wrote:

That's annoying, I wanted to use it for a lottery prediction with at least 36 billets. [/quote]
You might be able to use 36 billets, but they'd have to be smaller. Mark mentions that the ideal amount is 2 x A4 sheets of paper in total, cut up to the size you need.

Iain.
[quote]On Oct 23, 2015, jaizon wrote:
[quote]On Oct 23, 2015, Kuroth wrote:
Looks really cool but what I would like to know from those that have it, how well will this hold up to someone picking it up, turning it upside down, and shaking it???? I can just already see that will happen(At least for me and who I do tricks for).. [/quote]

If they happen to do that nothing will come out, but that is an audience management problem not a problem with the box (IMHO). [/quote]

True.. My 10 year old is hard to manage. :)
Love the hands off nature of this box...opens up a slew of possibilities.
So I got this today and have put in the www bit all in caps how it is written on the card,bugger all,how the hell am I ment to get the instructions,please anyone,lol.

just goes on to Penguin page and selling it ,i have no code to put in just brought it today undone the flat pack and inside a card with some,well 4 sticky things and that's it ?.
[quote]On Oct 24, 2015, Fire Starter wrote:
So I got this today and have put in the www bit all in caps how it is written on the card,bugger all,how the hell am I ment to get the instructions,please anyone,lol.

just goes on to Penguin page and selling it ,i have no code to put in just brought it today undone the flat pack and inside a card with some,well 4 sticky things and that's it ?. [/quote]

Have you logged in and gone to your Penguin account ...may be something there.
[quote]On Oct 24, 2015, Ray Chelt wrote:
[quote]On Oct 24, 2015, Fire Starter wrote:

just goes on to Penguin page and selling it ,i have no code to put in just brought it today undone the flat pack and inside a card with some,well 4 sticky things and that's it ?. [/quote]

Have you logged in and gone to your Penguin account ...may be something there. [/quote]

Cheers Ray I have tried that and have e mailed Penguin,just not sure what to do ,where to click is it down load,lol,just a card chucked in a large flat box,pretty pant's really for directions on how to get the instructional vid up.
Perfectly formed -. Best purchase this year. Well done Mark Shortland
and Vanishing Ink

Oh and although Mark says you can't fold down the box flat and get it back in the original packaging, I have found that you CAN if you fold the board along the crease that is already there on the long flap (Those that have it will know what I mean) - ie not making a new fold, just using one that already exists. Can't wait to get creative with this.
Good tip einhorn. Thanks for sharing.
Looks too cool.. Just purchased it.. Looks to have potential to be 2015 Tick of the Year to me..
Just got sent them now,Wayhay ,so will take a look thankyou Penguin
[quote]On Oct 24, 2015, Therealmagician wrote:

That's annoying, I wanted to use it for a lottery prediction with at least 36 billets. [/quote]

Then buy another version.

Luca Volpe offers a nice OM box.
[quote]On Oct 24, 2015, Kuroth wrote:
Looks too cool.. Just purchased it.. Looks to have potential to be 2015 Tick of the Year to me.. [/quote]

Well, first of all, it's not a "trick"; it's a utility device. The thought of anyone using this as a trick ("Look, I turned your iPhone 6 into an iPhone 5") makes me shutter. The benefit of this device is it's relative invisibility. It's just a cardboard box. Let's not turn it into a magic prop.
Sorry.. Did not realize utility devices cant be nominated for Trick of the Year..
Amen to that Robb

It's a card box that collects billets, no more!
I don't plan to use it to switch IPhones..
Well I got the email instruction sent to me from Penquin,had a little watch on Saturday,thought today ARH I will watch it and put my box together,poxy e mail does not work ,can not connect,so can not put the bloody thing together,wish these things came with a good old fashioned DVD. GRRRrrrrrrr.
[quote]On Oct 26, 2015, Kuroth wrote:
Sorry.. Did not realize utility devices cant be nominated for Trick of the Year.. [/quote]

No, it certainly can, I was just commenting that it's not really "trick" in case anyone was thinking in those terms. Not that you were, just a thought.
Agree with Robb 1000%
Totally love this one!
Got mine yesterday. As good as advertised.
Well just put mine together very nice indeed so ordinary looking and I am just reading up on some billet routine's and found a few nice one's by Annaman,so whoopeee,can not wait to use it.
Got this today and the web link on the card doesn't work. DVD's are far better than download instructions.
Here I am in Australia with a new toy I can't play with!
It's the middle of the night in the US.
A video review of this product can be found here: http://youtu.be/gMGuv6hws4g
Hey guys I just got this thing too... but I don't know yet how to use it.. can you give me some ideas... my original plan was to do Stefan Oche... dream thing where every one writes an item on a paper puts it in a pay envelope and throws it at me... a spec picks 5 and one gets switched... I thought the box here might help with all the messy throw and pick up.. but I might not be getting the mileage out of it that you all plan to.. would appreciate any suggestions..
can write me privately if need be

Marty
All is good, I worked it out.
[quote]On Oct 28, 2015, martysh wrote:
Hey guys I just got this thing too... but I don't know yet how to use it.. can you give me some ideas... my original plan was to do Stefan Oche... dream thing where every one writes an item on a paper puts it in a pay envelope and throws it at me... a spec picks 5 and one gets switched... I thought the box here might help with all the messy throw and pick up.. but I might not be getting the mileage out of it that you all plan to.. would appreciate any suggestions..
can write me privately if need be

Marty [/quote]

Hey Marty!

If you haven't watched this yet, I talk about a couple of ideas you can do with it in this video. It might help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0kq9JRl4Dw

Kyle
Kind of tells everyone what this bloody box does ,hey it's now on youtube now,,doh.
[quote]On Oct 28, 2015, Phatmeat wrote:
A video review of this product can be found here: http://youtu.be/gMGuv6hws4g [/quote]

Nice and helpful review other than promoting the box as a cool magic "trick."

This imo should not be a trick. If one uses it as a trick (kings to aces! 1's to 20's!) than of course the box will be suspect - regardless of whether the spectator opens it. It should be invisible. No attention called to the box at all.

This is a mentalist tool -an old one brought to new life. It's a utility prop. Those confused on its use etc should perhaps grab some classic mentalism books like Cassidy's fundamentals. Therein you will find a wealth of ways to use this invisibly.

Another thought is this might make a fantastic tool to use with Ken Dyne's superb E1 effect from his penguin lecture.
I agree with SaySold.

I plan to use the AmazeBox for another Kennedy effect that is no longer available called Whisper.

No more needing to use books.

Alex
Received it, built it, love it...
I'm thinking about getting a second one either to have a spare unit or to have a decorated version as well.
Don't know yet because it's not the cheapest object but on the other hand I'm not that good in DIY to rebuild it

Cheers
Nikki
I have it as well. It's great.
[quote]On Oct 29, 2015, saysold1 wrote:

Another thought is this might make a fantastic tool to use with Ken Dyne's superb E1 effect from his penguin lecture. [/quote]

Shhh... That was the first thing that came to mind for me too.
Yup, that can be a good worker for sure.
This box is really fantastic. It is unassuming, self-working, and opens up loads of super clean effects. This one is a winner for sure. I'm thinking of picking up a second just to have a backup.
I'm thinking this could be used for Bill Abbott's Five Card opener, with the regular sized cards. Opinions?
I'm thinking magicians should stay away from this and using cards, coins, money or other things lol so obvious.
[quote]On Oct 30, 2015, Alwow wrote:

Another thought is this might make a fantastic tool to use with Ken Dyne's superb E1 effect from his penguin lecture. [/quote]

Shhh... That was the first thing that came to mind for me too. [/quote]

Playing "Devil's advocate"... There are only six words used in E1. Why would you have six slips placed into a large box only to remove them moments later?
The box is made for a very small # of slips.

Since its hands free and openable by a spectator and not the performer - the term would be to "isolate" the slips so the spectator does not know which he is choosing.

By your logic - devils advocate mind you - why collect the billets in a folio pad or any other device for that matter? What is the point of any OM box?

For purity why not just have billets collected in someone's hand?
[quote]On Oct 31, 2015, saysold1 wrote:
The box is made for a very small # of slips.

Since its hands free and openable by a spectator and not the performer - the term would be to "isolate" the slips so the spectator does not know which he is choosing.

By your logic - devils advocate mind you - why collect the billets in a folio pad or any other device for that matter? What is the point of any OM box?

For purity why not just have billets collected in someone's hand? [/quote]

Way to go ,no different from then picking one out of the box then picking one out of the folio.
The box does all the dirty work for you. So easy and can be amazing with the right scripting. Those who have commented above hit a home run.
Hmmm...sorry to be a bit of a party pooper here...I am not convinced. When a spectator opens the box slowly...it might be a problem..and if he looks into the slit he also could spot some interesting things going on.
I know...it is about spectator management..etc. and yes I constructed it right...but FOR ME it fulfilled not my expectations I had.
I wished for an innocent looking but sturdy box that would have some cool undetectable mechanism for some nice switching.
The mechanism in this box IS amazing...but for me detactable.
Sorry again but I want to give my honest impression on this prob.
I have this, but have not constructed it yet. When I saw the explanation video and watched him open the box from the perspective of a spectator, I too saw what brainman said, and I am not entirely convinced that this is fullproof for other spectators to open the box...at first I was disappointed with this...BUT

1. The box is spectacular still imho. With a large audience of people that didn't know each other (like on a cruise ship), this would be just fine, I think. Even if the spectator did suspect something, with clear audience management by the presenter, it should be fine (though I am not qualified to make this judgment in total; I have a great deal of experience doing public speaking for large crowds, but not in a mentalist's context).

2. My thought was that if I truly did feel uncomfortable in allowing a spectator to open it, I can't for the life of me see why it would be a bad thing for me to show freely empty hands, pick up the box, walk over to a spectator, open the box myself right in front of them, have them look in the box themselves, and have them reach their pretty hands right in the box and snag a billet themselves.

For the price and the innocuousness of this product, I think this is a great buy on my part, as I am collecting tools for a short show I can do for a Chamber of Commerce or Rotary Club etc.
I like number 2 RedDevil.
[quote]On Nov 1, 2015, RedDevil wrote:
I have this, but have not constructed it yet. When I saw the explanation video and watched him open the box from the perspective of a spectator, I too saw what brainman said, and I am not entirely convinced that this is fullproof for other spectators to open the box...at first I was disappointed with this...BUT

1. The box is spectacular still imho. With a large audience of people that didn't know each other (like on a cruise ship), this would be just fine, I think. Even if the spectator did suspect something, with clear audience management by the presenter, it should be fine (though I am not qualified to make this judgment in total; I have a great deal of experience doing public speaking for large crowds, but not in a mentalist's context).

2. My thought was that if I truly did feel uncomfortable in allowing a spectator to open it, I can't for the life of me see why it would be a bad thing for me to show freely empty hands, pick up the box, walk over to a spectator, open the box myself right in front of them, have them look in the box themselves, and have them reach their pretty hands right in the box and snag a billet themselves.

For the price and the innocuousness of this product, I think this is a great buy on my part, as I am collecting tools for a short show I can do for a Chamber of Commerce or Rotary Club etc. [/quote]

I would agree with everything RedDevil said.

Just watched the video a few minutes ago and I will construct it today. I'm also unsure of I would let a spectator do the opening at least at first - but (with the red taped tab) it looks like it could be done and Mark apparently uses this device often for his cruise ship shows with success. I do agree as he mentions that one needs to manage a bit so that napkins or other items are not used - that might mean better to hand slips and small golf pencils out to 20 people rather than leaving a pile out.

The construction and concept are extremely clever - I think this should work out well.

Lastly I will be curious for those that own this to hear whether most will assemble to remain assembled - or assemble with double stick or whatever to take apart each time and pack flat.

My take in watching the video is that I will probably just make it once and leave assembled - seems a hassle to have to put together each time and I think it would put more stress on the folds and paper over time. It's a nice small box so I think I will just make it and leave it.
OK I dig this - easy to assemble, well thought out, small and effective.

Is it too gimmicky or origami to be something at a parlor show or cabaret? Nah. I really like it a lot!

Look forward to trying out.

For the 2nd tab inside I added a label with the word "PULL" to make it obvious as to what needs to happen.

The box reminds me of a USA "Priority Mail" type box with all the folds etc.

So far this ranks as one of my 5 best purchases of 2015.
[quote]On Nov 1, 2015, saysold1 wrote:
OK I dig this - easy to assemble, well thought out, small and effective.

Is it too gimmicky or origami to be something at a parlor show or cabaret? Nah. I really like it a lot!

Look forward to trying out.

For the 2nd tab inside I added a label with the word "PULL" to make it obvious as to what needs to happen.

The box reminds me of a USA "Priority Mail" type box with all the folds etc.

So far this ranks as one of my 5 best purchases of 2015. [/quote]

I,too, will leave it assembled. And something I found by accident...after about a week of being assembled it did seem to work better. And, no, I will probably not let my spec do the opening of the box, but they can be watching.
Lastly I will be curious for those that own this to hear whether most will assemble to remain assembled - or assemble with double stick or whatever to take apart each time and pack flat.[/quote]

I don't think the assembly makes much difference. I ended up choosing to use glue on mine, and it can still be folded flat if needs be. The only difference is that it ends up being about half an inch longer than if left unglued. However, if you refold one of the side flaps on the packaging, you can still fit it into the envelope for transporting if desired.

Like you though Brett, I think I'll probably just keep it assembled and transport it without folding it flat.
For the 2nd tab inside I added a label with the word "PULL" to make it obvious as to what needs to happen.[/quote]

I'm toying with the idea of attaching the 2nd tab to the far side of the flap, rather than in the middle against the slot. I just feel that this might address brainman and RedDevil's concerns about what a spectator could see. I'm not sure whether this might help focus attention on the far edge of the flap and take attention away from the slot?

Just a thought. (I'm waiting to get my hands on some red electrical tape before I try it out).
I think you guys are over worrying about this.
Why run when your not being chased.
Just plain audience management is all you really need here.
Todd
Also, I think it will work better after opening and closing it a couple dozen times or until the cardboard isn't so stiff.
I tend to agree with Todd - I can't wait to audience test this bad boy out.

Really ingenious - Kudos to Mark Shortland for inventing this devious little box.

Mine is working nicely after just a small # of breaking ins.

Guys - grab this as it is a winner if you have a need for such a utility tool.
[quote]On Oct 18, 2015, T.G. Jones wrote:
This is also available to order from Merchant of Magic. It looks to be the cheapest UK price too at £32.49.

http://www.magicshop.co.uk/p146905/AmazeBox_(Gimmicks_and_Online_Instructions)_by_Mark_Shortland_and_Vanishing_Inc_-_Trick/product_info.html [/quote]

That price is minus VAT @ 20%
Used this last night for the first time and worked like a charm. An AMAZING bit of kit that has so much to offer. Definitely one of the very best purchases I have made in recent years. Excellent just Excellent - If you are thinking about this purchase don't bother to think any longer - just order it - I cant see how you can be disappointed in any way.
Used it Saturday night for a Cluedo like prediction...
I used the box for selecting the murder weapon.

100% success:)

Cheers
Nikki
[quote]On Nov 2, 2015, pegasus wrote:

http://www.magicshop.co.uk/p146905/AmazeBox_(Gimmicks_and_Online_Instructions)_by_Mark_Shortland_and_Vanishing_Inc_-_Trick/product_info.html [/quote]

That price is minus VAT @ 20% [/quote]
I live in Spain.
Does this come with any routines, or is it just a utility device and you are on your own as to what to use it for?
It's "just" a utility device.

Most Mentalist's will know what they can use this for. No routines included.

On the vanishing inc site they did a nice review with some ideas on how to utilize your box.

But wow - what a device. I'm ordering a 2nd backup today.
[quote]On Nov 2, 2015, T.G. Jones wrote:
[quote]On Nov 2, 2015, pegasus wrote:

That price is minus VAT @ 20% [/quote]
I live in Spain. [/quote]

And therefore you'll pick up the charge.
Penguin is all out of stock for now.

I just ordered a 2nd unit however directly from Vanishing.Inc

This will be a monster seller after more of you get this in your hands. https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/great-magic-for-big-crowds/amazebox/?autoplay=2
After reading through the post's I have decided that I will be the one that open's up the box,it will still be darn impressive and I have taken my red coloured tabs off,as I think they draw attention to the nice white box,just my preferance and look forward to messing with it,i have come up with a routine idea using it for Jamie Dawes 'He's not there' and the box representing a bin,will see what happens.
I plan on using a wonderful idea from Eric Samuel's White Box manuscript with the Amazebox, but wondered what some thought about combining this with Bob Kohler's Human Phone Number. I've been using HPN for about 9 years and finding it harder and harder to locate phone books at hotels when I travel. Thoughts on having audience members write their phone numbers and drop them in the box? You bring members on stage, hand them the envelopes with the numbers, then have someone open the box and select a phone number? For corporate gigs, shouldn't be too hard to obtain a phone number or two from folks in attendance
I love love love seeing all the amazing reviews and fantastic ideas about Amazebox! You guys are killing it!

-Kyle
Ongoing discussion now happening at Inner Thoughts downstairs...
Just got worker of the week on WPR!
https://youtu.be/F6ux5Ht2aOE?t=9m43s
Not only that but earned an extremely rare 100% twice.

I personally give it 100% and it gets my unequivocal vote for best product of 2015.

For Mentalist's this is gold.

Vanishing Inc is also now completely out of stock. Good luck finding one!
Yes this is great, best product of 2015 so far
[quote]On Nov 2, 2015, einhorn wrote:
Used this last night for the first time and worked like a charm. An AMAZING bit of kit that has so much to offer. Definitely one of the very best purchases I have made in recent years. Excellent just Excellent - If you are thinking about this purchase don't bother to think any longer - just order it - I cant see how you can be disappointed in any way. [/quote]

When Nick Einhor* endorses an innovative product like this - pay attention.
Will be using mine for the first time on Friday night,oooh can't wait and I will report back on how it goes down.
Hi all,

Just want to say that this is exactly what was promised. Its awesome. You should buy one.
[quote]On Oct 31, 2015, Robb wrote:
[quote]On Oct 30, 2015, Alwow wrote:

Shhh... That was the first thing that came to mind for me too. [/quote]

Playing "Devil's advocate"... There are only six words used in E1. Why would you have six slips placed into a large box only to remove them moments later? [/quote]

You wouldn't. You'd ask everyone to write a word down and they'd go into the box at the start. You'd use coloured paper instead of regular white and at the end have one of each color selected.

Best,

Atlas
World Magic Review show has Mark Shortland talking about his Amazebox. Many dealers are sold out all ready.

[youtube]F6ux5Ht2aOE[/youtube]
There may be a teeny weeny bit of angle sensitivity to be aware of which can be seen as a flash on the video here. But honestly I don't think anyone will be burning the box nor paying attention to a side view.
[quote]On Nov 5, 2015, saysold1 wrote:
There may be a teeny weeny bit of angle sensitivity to be aware of which can be seen as a flash on the video here. But honestly I don't think anyone will be burning the box nor paying attention to a side view. [/quote]

Maybe that flash is because you know how it works, I did not see anything out of the ordinary.

Could this be used to vanish a silk or three, or as a switch box for silks, as I color changing silks. If show how many would you guess it would hold.
We have 2 left!

http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/new-magic/amazebox--gimmicks-and-online-instructions--by-mark-shortland-and-vanishing-inc--trick.html
I put mine together today and I think it is terrific.
Mine is loaded and ready to go ,first test drive tomorrow evening and I reckon it is going to mess a few heads up,lol.
[quote]On Nov 5, 2015, Bill Hegbli wrote:
[quote]On Nov 5, 2015, saysold1 wrote:
There may be a teeny weeny bit of angle sensitivity to be aware of which can be seen as a flash on the video here. But honestly I don't think anyone will be burning the box nor paying attention to a side view. [/quote]

Maybe that flash is because you know how it works, I did not see anything out of the ordinary.

Could this be used to vanish a silk or three, or as a switch box for silks, as I color changing silks. If show how many would you guess it would hold. [/quote]
Hi Bill ,i do not see why silk's would not work with it and depending on size, you may fit a fair few smallish ones in.
Could I use this to change my dove for my rabbit?
:) if they do not s..t in the box - after all it's a cardboard box, not very magical looking - I don't see why not...
[quote]On Nov 5, 2015, Mindpro wrote:
Could I use this to change my dove for my rabbit? [/quote]

Very funny Mindpro, sure go ahead, how about Dove to Guiney Pig.

I was thinking I would be a good change device for a silk routine, cover the box in sparkle contact paper, make it show business and not so organic looking. Maybe a Gold Dragon on the front. I love the idea is automatic, can't do that with a Change Bag.

Maybe cover it with wood grain contact to make it look like a real box, and the words Ballet Box on the front.
I'm just waiting for one of these to show up in a story about voter fraud in a high school election. With an Amazebox, the ending of "Election" would have been very different.
Lumberjohn -

You got my creative wheels turning! That and the dove act!
Went down a storm last night and I am going for a comedy theme tonight ,one lucky punter is going to win a plastic ash tray tonignt,lol.
[quote]On Nov 7, 2015, Fire Starter wrote:
Went down a storm last night and I am going for a comedy theme tonight ,one lucky punter is going to win a plastic ash tray tonignt,lol. [/quote]

Hahahaha
I like that one.
[quote]On Nov 7, 2015, bowers wrote:
[quote]On Nov 7, 2015, Fire Starter wrote:
Went down a storm last night and I am going for a comedy theme tonight ,one lucky punter is going to win a plastic ash tray tonignt,lol. [/quote]

Hahahaha
I like that one. [/quote]
Why, thank you kindly sir.
Received this today, and although I don't normally post, I felt like I had to sing the praises of this product. It is one of the nicest, innocent looking magical props I have seen in a long time, and I can't wait to use it on stage! IF you haven't bought it, Why not?!!!

Scott
[quote]On Nov 13, 2015, Scott Olgard wrote:
Received this today, and although I don't normally post, I felt like I had to sing the praises of this product. It is one of the nicest, innocent looking magical props I have seen in a long time, and I can't wait to use it on stage! IF you haven't bought it, Why not?!!!

Scott [/quote]
Thank you for posting. Welcome to the Café!
Just received this, waiting for glue to dry overnight.....I love it, I say one of the best of 2015, so far
Just got this today in the mail from Theory11. I can't wait to use it for a routine I had done many times that required an off stage assistant. Just awesome!
Add me to the list of satisfied customers. Cant wait to break it out at the right venue.
I finally got some experience with this (a dozen performances). Working almost surrounded and no one spotted anything out of the ordinary when the spectators opened the box. Note, there is not much heat on this moment since nothing special is happening from a spectators perspective. I love this!
It is one of my favorite purchases so far this year and I keep racking my brains for more routines with it,have come up with a few but I want more it's so good,lol.
Had to buy this after seeing Dynamo's show in Glasgow tonight.
Sold!
[quote]On Nov 19, 2015, reignofsound wrote:
Sold! [/quote]
Wow, bet that was a good show and would love to know how he used it.
[quote]On Nov 19, 2015, Fire Starter wrote:
[quote]On Nov 19, 2015, reignofsound wrote:
Sold! [/quote]
Wow, bet that was a good show and would love to know how he used it. [/quote]

He used it during the interval.
Although he did open it, he got an audience member to reach in and remove a piece of paper.
I placed an order for an Amazebox.

Lots of praise for it's utility, but I am not seeing a great deal of stunning routines offered in the thread.

Can this even be used for a 10-15 sized group of people?

I came up with one idea of my own, and started a thread where I hope people can contribute ideas for routines here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=603598&forum=15
You likely won't see a lot of ideas for it's use as it is a utility tool rather than an effect.

The box can switch many things and most mentalists are already familiar with what this type of box could do. Thanks for sharing though.
Another nice idea for the box during Christmas season is to force an item from a Christmas gift list, put the list into the slit of the box and let the spectator open the box to find the (forced) item.

Cheers
Nikki
[quote]On Nov 25, 2015, Nikki78 wrote:
Another nice idea for the box during Christmas season is to force an item from a Christmas gift list, put the list into the slit of the box and let the spectator open the box to find the (forced) item.

Cheers
Nikki [/quote]
Nice idea, Nikki
Thanks Fire Starter :)
I like it very much, and can recommand other people to buy it.
That's a horrible idea can magicians just not use this lol
Repeating the same "request" over and over again doesn't reinforce someone's wish.
Just write it onto your personal wishlist and put the list into your own Amazebox maybe Santa will take care of it
Message: Posted by: Charlieherbertmagic (Nov 26, 2015 12:55PM)
Mark performed this at the FCMUK conference in February, he showed us roughly how it worked and let us check it out, it's super clever! :)
Amazebox is back IN STOCK!

-> https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/great-magic-for-big-crowds/amazebox/
Had 4 guests round last night and the whole time I had a bag hanging up with a present wrapped in for one lucky guest,we all wrote our mames out and too make it more interesting we made another 4 names out,silly names that we all read out before they were all placed in the box. I got one of my friend's to pick out one and lo and behold when he opened the bag up and unwrapped the present seeing his new ashtray,he went nut's,lol but the kicker ending was I predicted he would win it, 4 days ago and this was written on a card inside BOOM,job done.
In the new book called Locked, this is referenced in. A neat routine for a 7 Keys to Baldpate routine, so I'm probably going to buy this prop.
Oh look! It's an elite mentalist snob!

James

[quote]On Nov 25, 2015, SolidSnake wrote:
That's a horrible idea can magicians just not use this lol [/quote]
I agree.
I'm really interested in this, lots of great reviews. Is it suitable for closeup? Or mainly for stage?
[quote]On Dec 30, 2015, pancho247 wrote:
I'm really interested in this, lots of great reviews. Is it suitable for closeup? Or mainly for stage? [/quote]

Ideal for parlour -cabaret or smaller settings.

Easily one of the smartest and cleverest products in 2015.
You can also use it for close up... I do only close up at the moment and I used it several times. Works like a charm
...and yes, Saysold is right: one of the smartest and cleverest products in 2015!

Cheers
Nikki
Thanks gents. Does it teach any close up effects?
...and yes, Saysold is right: one of the smartest and cleverest products in 2015!

Cheers
Nikki [/quote]

I agree also.If you have this and Svenpads.
You can do a show.
Todd
[quote]On Dec 30, 2015, pancho247 wrote:
Thanks gents. Does it teach any close up effects? [/quote]

No, it comes without routines but you will come up with your own stuff pretty soon when you finished the assembling procedure
(which is very easy btw)
Ok great- SOLD!!!

Thanks everyone
Looking forward to get it, will buy it in blackpool I guess to avoid shipping fees.
Hi all,

I just created a Facebook Closed Group for the owners of the Amazebox. The idea is to exhange ideas, tips & tricks and routines between us. Search for "The Amazebox Owners Group" on FB and I will be glad to add you ! Cheers and happy NY

https://www.facebook.com/groups/169961373362207/
[quote]On Dec 30, 2015, bowers wrote:

Cheers
Nikki [/quote]

I agree also.If you have this and Svenpads.
You can do a show.
Todd [/quote]

Great new Avatar!
I have joined and it is nice to share some idea's with this.
Best prop in years, no doubt about it.
I have asked to join the facebook group, would recommend the box
I had a bit on an eureka moment with this last night (I don't own one - yet as I currently don't perform in a relevant environment) but I have come up with various ideas of how I could use this when the time is right and for a long time I struggled to come up with a way I could force more than one billet and know 100% what information was on them when taken out by the participant, well re reading Practical Mental Effects I came across a routine where various coloured pads of paper are passed around the theater or room and information is written on these pads and folded appropriately and collected up.

The use of different coloured paper now would allow me to ask the participant to take anyone out, then note the colour of the paper and reveal the information and then have another slip chosen but this time choose a different colour, so that it comes from a different part of the room.

This also allows the spectator to see that the slips of paper are not all the same, this maybe something already people have thought about but it opened up a lot of options for me

Thanks

Dean
Yup - a well known idea and a winner.

The Astro Brite pads on Amazon are ideal.
I used this in a show yesterday for the 3rd item in a mental epic routine. Passed out 20 slips of paper with random things written on them. Had them looked at and confirmed different. Had a lady look inside the box, thru opening of course, to confirm it being empty. Then collected and mixed the slips of paper. Then had one selected. It was a perfect force and the final reveals each got a great response. I highly recommend this utility device.

MB
MB it seems you are the only one showing the box empty thru opening it... r you sure it's Amazebox? :)
You have mistaken what I said…let me be clear. I showed the AMAZEBOX empty through the slit opening in the top of the box (it was closed) before having the slips of paper dropped in. A quick look by the spectator through the slit confirmed it empty. I did not open the AMAZEBOX to show it empty.

MB
Oops my bad, for a bit I thought "did he discovered an way to do it" :)

thanks for clearing up
Highjack of topic post!!!

I love the look and sound of amazebox... It isn't for me as I work only pocket space but would love to know how this works & would 100% buy if suitable for me.

My highjack is... Along the lines of Amazebox is anyone aware of a bicycle card box or card case that can easily hold back, switch etc. I'm amazed that googling galore for the last year or three has found nothing so this thread maybe worthy of a highjack???
If anyone has one of the original white Amazebox they would like to sell, please pm me. Thanks.
kj
Sorry if this has been asked before but can someone tell me how robust this is.

Would be using this in a strolling enviroment but obviously it's cardboard?

Also once I have bought & know the principal is it easy to kinda make a smaller version?
I don't think this was being offered as a strolling prop. Walking around with a box, just draws more attention to what is inside.

It is cardboard. They are very expensive to have made by a box company.

These are made by a cardboard box company, if you know such a business, then possibly you could make this. Not easily made, as if you have every tried to make a box, it is very difficult to make the folding seams by hand.

I will wait to see if the box will ever be made with the corrugated plastic.
[quote]On Mar 13, 2017, Bill Hegbli wrote:
I don't think this was being offered as a strolling prop. Walking around with a box, just draws more attention to what is inside.

It is cardboard. They are very expensive to have made by a box company.

These are made by a cardboard box company, if you know such a business, then possibly you could make this. Not easily made, as if you have every tried to make a box, it is very difficult to make the folding seams by hand.

I will wait to see if the box will ever be made with the corrugated plastic. [/quote]

I agree, Bill. This is not designed for strolling magic no matter how small the box is. I think the original white box might be better for a small party or parlor setting, just for the convenience of transporting.

KJ
Would anyone have the original download file for the instructions? I bought this from Penguin Magic but never used it. Now I wanted to put it together but ... yep ... you guessed it. I lost the instructions. If anyone can help me out please PM me. Thanks!
I really like the AmazeBox. This is one of those few effects that has become a real worker for me - and immediately made its way into my routine. It's easy to do - allowing the performer to focus on the performance - and there are so many ways it can be used it never gets old.
Really a fan of the Amazebox. I just wish I figured out a surreptitious way to do the reverse of what it does while the box is open, as it would streamline my Q and A routine so much more.
The best handling I have found (if box sitting on table) to prevent any exposure is to have box sitting with back to audience(centre tab at back). Then, billets are placed in if doing real time. To have spectator open, ask her to turn it around and open from front.