(Close Window)
Topic: Wenger Bell from H*ll
Message: Posted by: Autumn Morning Star (Oct 26, 2015 10:09AM)
As many of you know, I have had my Nick Wenger "Bell from Hell" for some time now. This is my "go to" effect for spooky storytelling. People are on the edge of their seat when the matches fly from the little wooden windowsill and the bell rings. BUT: When the string the bell is hanging from bursts into flame, well, let's just say I have had more than one person flee the room.

Recently, I was working with my bell, took a phone call from a client, forgot about the Bell, and left it on for too long. I mean waaayyy too long. I toasted the innards to a crisp! :( Nick Wenger is wonderfully "Old School", in that he services that which he sells. I immediately contacted Nick and he lovingly restored my bell to the best of health and did not even charge me a PENNY! He even shipped it back free of charge. What a great guy to deal with in the realm of spooky magic!!

Just so you know, Nick does custom work and he can absolutely keep a secret. I have ordered custom items from him and he kept them totally hush-hush. My custom Wenger items can only be seen in my spooky show and no one else's. That gives me a sense of security in the fact that certain aspects of my show are totally unique.

So all in all, I am just saying that you should check out Nick Wenger's site and if you ever have an idea about a spooky item that is simply not made, give Nick a call. This man is nice, approachable, and knows how to help you out! Big hugs to you, Nick Wenger! You are a good human being with a very spooky mind! http://nickwengermagic.com/
I echo all your sentiments re: Nick. He was terrific to work with when I ordered by BfH awhile back. He was extremely helpful via phone when I had some subsequent questions. Even sent a video showing me my BfH as it was nearing being finished. Just finished up several performances this month where the BfH was the finale. Shrieks every performance from multiple attendees. Even overheard one person tell his wife as they exited after the performance, "I nearly sh*t my pants when that flame appeared."
That bell looks incredible.
Thank you very much for the nice comments. They are greatly appreciated!!!

Nick
Nick has been building me some props and he definitely gets it done right.

I believe in top quality work and I believe Nick exhibits this.

-Alex
Hi there,
I'm afraid I can't follow suit: I bought 3 items from Nick for 1000USD,had to wait half a year, finally they came and were really very beautiful. But then: One transmitter failed, the lid of the Box for the Bell failed, the cutom made item (400USD!) also looked great but did and does not work at all. After contacting Nick I got a few hints like "take new battery" etc., and then nothing again, for weeks not even an answer. Thus I spent 1000USD and have now two partly working and one completely unusable prop - sorry, I can not recommend this man.
That's unfortunate to hear. I've always had great communication with him, but don't use his props as often as I would like to (I'm a hobbyest), so can't answer to their durability and asking about repairs.
All of the props I build are 100% GUARANTEED. If you have a problem with any of my props and we cannot get it figured out through emails. Ship it back to me. I will check it out, if the failure is through normal use, I will repair it at no cost and also pay shipping both ways. If I check it out and find that the failure was due to misuse, I WILL still fix it at no cost. I only ask that you pay for the shipping. I cannot be any fairer than that!

FYI - I have also done this for people that have purchased my products second hand. How many other builders are willing to do that?

Nick
Let me also echo as a purchaser of Nick items - never had any problems with the goods and he was always responsive in his communications with me.
Since we have found out that the missing aswers seem to be a technical e-mail problem and not bad will I withdraw my criticism. We are in contact again and I hope we can find solutions for the malfunctions of my props. I generally appreciate Nick's products very much and could not understand, why he seemed to totally ignore me with some problems caused by them. I am happy to see I was mistaken!
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Nov 8, 2016 07:59AM)
I've always liked the Wenger Spirit Bell (the one that the spectator assembles).
[quote]On Nov 6, 2016, remote guy wrote:
All of the props I build are 100% GUARANTEED. If you have a problem with any of my props and we cannot get it figured out through emails. Ship it back to me. I will check it out, if the failure is through normal use, I will repair it at no cost and also pay shipping both ways. If I check it out and find that the failure was due to misuse, I WILL still fix it at no cost. I only ask that you pay for the shipping. I cannot be any fairer than that!

FYI - I have also done this for people that have purchased my products second hand. How many other builders are willing to do that?

Nick [/quote]

Hi Nick, this sounds so great but why then do you neither send me the promised spare part I have been waiting for since I think November 2016 nor answer any email I have been sending you since January? I fear your "100%" promise is a hollow nut.
I hope Nick's okay! I've purchased several items from him and his customer service was excellent. Super nice guy too!
[quote]On Mar 28, 2017, Wizard of Oz wrote:
I hope Nick's okay! I've purchased several items from him and his customer service was excellent. Super nice guy too! [/quote]

So did I, and he promised to send me a spare part of the bell box which was broken, that was autumn last year - I am still waiting for it although he announced twice it would be on the way. for the last three months he hasn't answered any mail or private message here. I thought he was very nice, too, but this behaviour is not what I call friendly!
I am going to speak out for Nick. I have three of his effects that he built for me and they are remarkable especially the Wenger Bell from Hell and the Wenger Spirit Bell. But often I have found that people who build custom magic of real quality fall behind schedule due to demand for their products and a bigger work load than they may have anticipated. He may have promised it in good faith in a certain time frame and then fallen behind. This may not sound like a good excuse. I can only say that Nick will come through and the product will be worth the wait.
It is not the product which is critisized (his products are in fact good) - it is the fact that he announces parts have been sent but they have definitely not been sent, and that he does not answer any mails for weeks and weeks. This is not an acceptable behaviour of salesman. If he falls behind, okay, then he should apologize and you will wait, no problem, but if you are told your mail has been shipped but it does not arrive and you can write mails after mails without receicing an answer, that is not ok.
Thanks Craig and Oz!

Reinhold,

I have not received any emails from you! I do apologize for not checking my PM's here on the Café. Just to set the record straight, I shipped you you a fully functional Bell Box proven by the video clip I sent you before I shipped it. A few weeks later you got in touch with me saying that you think you may have burnt out the gimmicked rope. I then sent you a $95 plus overseas shipping, replacement rope at NO CHARGE to you (even though it was your fault) in a greeting card in November 2016, which you say you did not receive. Let's do it this way, as it reads in my above post that you copied and pasted.

"Ship it back to me. I will check it out, if the failure is through normal use, I will repair it at no cost and also pay shipping both ways"

I just want be sure before I ship another $95 gimmicked rope.
I do not want to be unfair, here just the facts: The rope stopped working after trying it out a few times (no performances), I do not know why, maybe it was my fault, ok. You wrote you would send me a new one which has never arrived. Then in January you wrote another one was "on the way", which has not arrived either. During the last 3 months I have written more than a dozen mails on AOL,GMX,T-Online and here and have not got any reaction. You got my mails in earlier days, so why should they suddenly not get to you? I correspond by email world-wide without any problems! And since I got your props last year without problems I wonder why two small packages should not reach me?
But what disappoints me most is that I can only get your reaction when I post my criticism here which is really my last option. I hesitated long before I took to that, not knowing what else I could have done! I think my frustration should be understandable!
[quote]On Mar 31, 2017, novestro wrote:
I do not want to be unfair, here just the facts: The rope stopped working after trying it out a few times (no performances), I do not know why, maybe it was my fault, ok.

Send the rope back to me and I will replace it with a new one. I will also pay the shipping cost both ways.
I'm chiming in here now.
i Just went through this With Nick, I purchased a Bell from a friend from Spooky. I assembled the bell and it would only raise the bell 1/2"
I Personal Messaged him here through The Café and he CALLED me within a few hours- we both were on the road as I recall.
He troubleshooted me through scenarios Batteries etc.
After not having any additional success, I called him again and he recommended I forward him the Rope as he felt it was worth a shot to see if it could be repaired.
It winds up that Nick was able to repair the rope.
His communication to me regarding this outcome, as opposed to me having to buy a new one for $95, led me to believe he was as Happy as I WAS that I didn't have to spend the $95 for a new Rope !

This is the mark of a craftsman who just wants his products, that bear his Name, to execute flawlessly in the real world of performance. Those of us familiar with this prop know just how uniquely animated it truly is.
As Bob Cassidy w/say:
Good thoughts
Nick, I am still waiting for your postal address, please, that I can send you the rope.

Gismologic: It is fine for you to have experienced that. I do not say Nick is not a nice fellow, he just does not read and answer his mails nor PMs here. I suppose you live in the USA and can solve problems via telephone, I live in Germany,so what can I do if I do not get any answers but complain here - the only place where I get reactions!
[quote]On Oct 26, 2015, Autumn Morning Star wrote:
As many of you know, I have had my Nick Wenger "Bell from Hell" for some time now. This is my "go to" effect for spooky storytelling. People are on the edge of their seat when the matches fly from the little wooden windowsill and the bell rings. BUT: When the string the bell is hanging from bursts into flame, well, let's just say I have had more than one person flee the room.
[/quote]

I like that idea! I have always used a low-tech method for the bell. Since it only rings once, the IT can be broken/discarded and the bell examined. Haven't done that in a few years. I no longer have the little brass bell. Too bad Wenger can't be reached. I like the idea of the bursting into flame finale.

Doug
Trying to talk myself OUT of buying one of these. Help me, gang!
Snoogans...sorry. This prop is all that it has been talked up to be. In my humble opinion, grab one if you can. It's awesome.
Anyone own a bell from hell thinking of selling?
I'm in the market. Immediate payment!
This really has me thinking again. I wrote a routine years ago featuring something similar to this:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/xc4AAOSwOgdYys5w/s-l1600.jpg

I designed a system for it. Tim Wisseman quoted me a build price. I never followed up. I'm still playing with the low-tech idea...

Doug
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Apr 18, 2017 01:59PM)
[quote]On Apr 18, 2017, Dougini wrote:
This really has me thinking again. I wrote a routine years ago featuring something similar to this:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/xc4AAOSwOgdYys5w/s-l1600.jpg

I designed a system for it. Tim Wisseman quoted me a build price. I never followed up. I'm still playing with the low-tech idea...

Doug [/quote]

That is interesting looking. I bet that has an cool background story behind it.

I am wanting to have a Jack in the box made that can be controlled.

Ray
Ray, a Jack-In-The-Box is brilliant! I never thought of that! I have a friend who has a phobia of clowns and Jack-In-The-Boxes. Hee hee! Oh, to have a couple hundred spare bucks! I dunno. Maybe not. Wouldn't want to be responsible for his admission to Riverview! LOL!

Doug
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8hmsfhBEfY
That's the one ya want! OMG! How much is that?

Doug
Here ya go Dougini...
http://nickwengermagic.com/Bizarre%20and%20Spooky.html
$425.00 plus Shipping

Thank you Wizard! Far outta my ability, but well worth it! I will recommend this to anyone looking for a great spooky act!

Doug
I know this is an old post.. but Im looking for this trick. please pm me if you have one and would like to sell it.. I contacted the creater Mr Wengers but he never replied to my email nor my messages on here....
Mark Irish is selling a Wenger Spirit Bell in some of the facebook magic groups. It's not the Wenger Bell from Hell, but if you are interested you can find it here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/mentalismpropsforsale/
Station10. thank you very much for the information.. I just bought the wenger bell from hell. but I would buy more for sure. I will check this link. Thanks again
Nick totally saved me when I ordered a similar effect from another vendor weeks before a show and found out they were giving me the run around. Nick built me a bell and had it out to me ASAP, communicated with me several times once I received it to make sure I was in good shape, and the effect killed.
Yes but he never answer any email I sent him.. his customer service not that great.should treat us in an acceptable way not to read the messages and ignore it tottaly! sorry! but his work is great for sure
Oh great! Just when there was the possibility I might only have to save up for the next Prof B.C. production you have to go and show me Nicks’s amazing effects! Anyone want to buy a kidney?
I also have a kidney available. maybe we could get a good deal on a pair? has it done many miles?
Sadly far too many, might have to throw in a gall bladder too!
What is kidney?
Hi Ahmed, Kidney as in organ of the body, sorry just being silly, it’s such a lovely item but is currently way beyond my ability to purchase unless I can rustle up the money some how i.e sell a body part. Bad taste I know but this is the bizarre forum!
[quote]On Apr 21, 2018, Bogbadger wrote:
Sadly far too many, might have to throw in a gall bladder too! [/quote]

ive just checked and the gall bladder is non essential to ringing a spirit bell.

On a slight side note, ive just head my wenger bell was stopped by homeland security coming out of america due to a dodgy xray......i presume someone has had to explain what the hell it is. haha. fingers crossed its still in one piece, or 4 pieces or however many pieces it comes in.
Warning! Nick Wenger is not returning emails phone calls or answering the phone. He is MIA. People have ordered and gone nothing or sent items needing repair and no response. Buyer Beware. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM NICK WENGER!!!
[quote]On May 25, 2018, magicvincent wrote:
Warning! Nick Wenger is not returning emails phone calls or answering the phone. He is MIA. People have ordered and gone nothing or sent items needing repair and no response. Buyer Beware. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM NICK WENGER!!! [/quote]

We know! You've posted about this on 7 different threads (out of 11 postings you have altogether).

Thank you
I have never bought anything from Nick Wenger, so I do not have a horse in this race. HOWEVER, I would LOVE to buy the BfH. If anyone knows Nick, is it safe to buy it through his website right now or is he not accepting orders right now?
My only intent on multiple postings is to make more people aware of this and to prevent other potential customers from losing their money. I cannot get my money back, but I can speak out about what has happened to me.
Also, no. It is not safe to buy from Nick Wenger. If I can prevent just one person from losing their hard earned money, that is my only motivation.
This happend to me too with Nick Wenger, except my prop does not work. When I first got it it arrived broken. Sent it back took another year to get it back. The cracked wood was fixed, but it does not work as it is suppose to, been collecting dust on my desk for many years. It also took 2 and a half years to get. He made lots of promises and did not deliver on any of his promises. Buyer beware.

Warning! Nick Wenger is not returning emails phone calls or answering the phone. He is MIA. People have ordered and gone nothing or sent items needing repair and no response. Buyer Beware. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM NICK WENGER!!! [/quote]
[quote]On May 25, 2018, Sean Gem wrote:

We know! You've posted about this on 7 different threads (out of 11 postings you have altogether).

Thank you [/quote]

Actually thanks to magicvincent posting as he did I was able to retrieve a deposit though Paypal, had I not seen the positings I might have been out my money.

I for one am thankful, post away I say people should know something is not right.

I have done business with Nick in the past never a problem, but somethings clearly not right at the moment and it should be known, that’s called magicians helping magicians, hello!
[quote]On May 28, 2018, magicvincent wrote:
My only intent on multiple postings is to make more people aware of this and to prevent other potential customers from losing their money. I cannot get my money back, but I can speak out about what has happened to me.
Also, no. It is not safe to buy from Nick Wenger. If I can prevent just one person from losing their hard earned money, that is my only motivation. [/quote]

Actually thanks to you I did just that, not lose my money, had I not seen your postings I would have waited thinking perhaps Nick was too busy to get to my commission. I was already 2 1/2 months in so I wasted no time contacting PayPal and have since then receive my money back.

Vincent, thank you.
I'm glad people now know the Nick Wenger scam. When I posted about it months ago the magic Café admin (prob his friend) deleted my post and said I would be banned if I posted anything bad about him. Glad we all banned together so people know the truth. I lost my money as 2.5 years is way out of PayPal protection.
I don't say Nick is a scam, hes done some amazing work for me. It just seems there is a problem going on a present. People should know what current customers are dealing with.

But for the record, Nick had created some amazing props, and in the past has been a pleasure to deal with. However things happen in peoples personal life. I don't know whats happening with Nick, but clearly something is off.

Until he appears and makes a statement we will never know whats happened.
Well too bad he changed for the worst. He had a great reputation when I made my custom order with him. He was easy to get a home of. Then as soon as I paid he went dark and said some pretty nasty stuff to me when he finally replied years later. Btw that is not a typo years later.
[quote]On Jun 18, 2018, Alex R. Weinberg wrote:
Well too bad he changed for the worst. He had a great reputation when I made my custom order with him. He was easy to get a home of. Then as soon as I paid he went dark and said some pretty nasty stuff to me when he finally replied years later. Btw that is not a typo years later. [/quote]

Wow that's not cool, sorry to hear that, very sad to see a guy with talent let his business go.
I so agree. I've had no trouble personally with Mr. Wenger. In fact, quite the opposite. And I have recommended his items and customer service here many times. But my last interaction was close to two years ago, so I feel bad for those who have lost money or have been ill-treated more recently, and then wonder how something so good could have so gone so bad so quickly.

Unfortunately reminiscent of another situation in this area of the Café, but I suspect the reasons are much different, but I have no clue. Just pure conjecture.

And major, major kudos to the Café for keeping these threads open. And I mean it. MAJOR PROPS. This IS "Magicians Helping Magicians," at its best. And we know you need to walk the very fine line of allowing legitimate or reasonable complaints not turn into slander. So thank you very much for that. There have been many folks recently in the "Spooky" halls who have saved a lot of stolen change thanks to you.
[quote]On Jun 19, 2018, Wizard of Oz wrote:
And major, major kudos to the Café for keeping these threads open. And I mean it. MAJOR PROPS. This IS "Magicians Helping Magicians," at its best. And we know you need to walk the very fine line of allowing legitimate or reasonable complaints not turn into slander. So thank you very much for that. There have been many folks recently in the "Spooky" halls who have saved a lot of stolen change thanks to you. [/quote]

“Truth” Wizard :-)
This is interesting:

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?forum=109&topic=681718#0

Nick is back in action.
After he made me wait 2 years to sell me junk I would steer clear. Especially with people posting their similar experiences on the Café. He has one ruined reputation as a scammer, which was my experience.