(Close Window)
Topic: Where do you get your silk in egg gimmick?
I have been doing silk in egg for a while. Love the trick! However, the egg gimmick I have had all really small and the color is always off, can someone recommend a good place to get a decent egg gimmick?
The one I use is from Hobson's Egg Bag. Just bore a good size hole in the egg.
Ricky
I own the Vikings eggs; it looks exactly like the real eggs.

http://www.vikingmagic.com/Egg
Then again, you can always take a real egg and turn it into a gimmicked egg, following the directions by Jolyon Jenkins in Mini-Mysteries Book 4 on The Magic Nook.
Thanks for the resources guys!
Found this thread on magic Café: http://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=471067&forum=6
I think I will make my own. Really grateful for everyone sharing information.
Interesting posts!

I bought 4 "Sucker Egg Trick" FEKES (not GIMMICKS!) in 1955, from the late Harold Sterling (Sterling Magic) in Detroit. They were the FIRST FEKES made from r**l egg shells that I had ever seen. I think that they were $1.00 EACH!

I'm NOW USING my LAST ONE!!! I'm noe 84, and retired! I think I have a lifetime "supply"!!!

Dick

P.S. A GIMMICK is a s*cr*t d*v*c*, NOT SEEN by the spectator. A FEKE is seen, but app**rs to be s*m*th*ng else.
Yes a Feke is what I am going to make! thanks for clarifying the definition.
Hi jiayi!

You speak excellent "English" for a "foreigner"! (hee hee)

I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. (I can drive south all day, and enter Canada, eh! (Detroit/Windsor)

When I started out, "the" fekes were of celluloid (at least those that I saw, and had). They were a bit translucent. A red silk somewhat changed the "exterior" shade!

Dan Ford WAS making the fekes from real hen fruit. (He's on the Café, occasionally).

I only do an occasional show now, so, mine will probably last "usque ad aeternam"!

I think Tarbell titled the EFFECT, "Sucker EGGSPLANATION"!

Good luck with your project!
Another vote for the Viking eggs. They make them in brown too which is superb as white eggs are extremely rare in the UK
If you are in the UK I can highly recommend Dave Bonsall at Prop Dogs eggs.
Another vote for prop dog's eggs!
Stevens magic had a great one. I think it may be a Viking egg.
Avoid the "ZIMMER" EGG!!!

Someone gave me one (He didn't like it.) One look at the feke , and, I could see "why". I figure that ya might be able to insert a 10" silk into it (with a shoe horn!)
I originally used the Sterling made from real eggs. I loved using it. When disaster struck, I dropped it and it cracked.

I later found and used the Tenyo version, it is very nice, but unless you use a white silk, will show show through. So I bought some egg shell white spray paint, wiped the egg with alcohol spray painted it. Now I could any color silk I desired. The Tenyo takes a 15 inch silk just fine.

Finally, one Easter season, I seen a white plastic egg in the candy rack, bought 2, went home, they were a hard plastic, not the shiny soft hinged plastic you see today. Glued the halves together with liquid model glue, then took a nickel, it is the correct size, traced it and cut out and sanded the edge, and half seam ridge. Then painted it egg shell white. It has been working for me for a very long time now.

Never liked the heavy plaster eggs from Viking. just a personal choice since my 1st experience was with the Sterling Egg, no longer available. Darn! Some how they found a way to put a smooth yellow plastic outer shell over a real egg, and paint it egg shell white. I only know it was a perfect looking egg, and the yellow plastic plugged the hole where they blew the egg out. You could see the spot of yellow on the inside of the shell.

There is a real egg fake on the market from Tirofog Magic. They call their eggs "Eggs-actly" eggs. They make all sizes from small to Jumbo eggs. The inside is a rosin material to reinforce the egg shell. I have one with the hole and one without for Malini Egg Bag use.

http://www.tirofog.com/index.php/eggs-actly-egg.html at $14.50 they are worth a try. I see the raised the price from $12.50 after some 20 years.
Bill's post just above woke up my memory "bank". The late Sid Lorraine, wrote up his "method" of preparing an egg.

First chance I get, I'll try to dig thru my file of lecture notes, for Sid's notes If I can locate them, I'll try to write up his idea.
I am looking for a higher quality silk to egg that is quite sturdy, best that it can survive a drop on a floor.

Will the higher quality gimmicks in the market (Viking / Bob Sanders / Propdog) be sturdy enough? I know that they are all fantastic in terms of look and feel.

Or if sturdiness is a requirement, I should go back to the plastic ones like Tenyo? Thanks!
I have used Bob Sanders for years now - really love his silk to egg. Great quality and super durable.
Second Bob Sanders' eggs. Great product!
I also use Bob Sander's eggs, they are very nice and look and feel real with a nice big hole in them.
I just noticed a video of Barry Mitchell's Silk to Egg routine. It is called "SUPER CHICKEN EXTRA CRISPY COMPLETE" https://barrymitchellproducts.com/products/super-chicken-extra-crispy
I use a very cheap gimmick, and it has never caused me any trouble.
The most realistic is the Eggs-actly egg because it is real but hardened on the inside with resin.
Not overly heavy, perfect color, hole is nice, etc.

Nothing compares.

It could break, as it is a real egg, which is the only downside.
But it is a very durable egg.

I use an Eggs-actly egg for my eggbag routine and absolutely love it.
Years ago, in one of his books, Karrell Fox wrote up his sucker egg routine. We had never discussed the egg bit, so it was a surprise for me!!!

He just used a real egg, and, a silk! I got a real egg from the fridge. and tried it. It was bold and gutsy, like much of Karrell's material, but, it WORKED! I have not used the sucker egg in a long time, but, I 'filed' the idea in my 'emergency' show file.