(Close Window)
Topic: Best 20th Century Silks
I have been looking for a new set of 20th century silks since my set is starting to become old so I was wondering if y'all could give me some suggestions! thanks!
The best in the business is by Silk King Studios.

http://www.silkkingmagic.com/Rice's%20Rainbow%2020th%20Century.htm

Ask if they have any irregular available. I can tell you that what they consider irregular is perfect to all others. So you will save a lot of money with an email.

You may be interested in their Douglas 20th Century.

http://www.silkkingmagic.com/Rice's%20Douglas%2020th%20Century.htm

Or their Baffling Bloomer's 20th Century, scroll down the page for that description.

http://www.silkkingmagic.com/Rice's%20Baffling%20Bloomers.htm

I have an use these and they are wonderful.
I make solid color silks if you are interestested. Happy to talk with you.
Richard
Right!

There is no reason that a "rainbow silk" MUST be used!
There were two "spin-offs" of 20th century silks that I always liked.
One was "Improved, Visible '40th Century' Silks" in Albenice's _Reel Magic_.
The other was Marconick's "Prisoner Silk" in _Marconick's Original Magic_, which Scott Alexander adapted for "Hanky Panky" as seen in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WfqDMIrS9I

There have been previous discussions of the Marconick trick on the Cafť like this one:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=471286&forum=54
where I mentioned my own ideas about it.

I also remember Joe Smiley doing a version of 20th Century Silks in the 60's using a space travel theme.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
Don't forget the Douglas 20th Century.
Master Payne has a great and funny routine that he presented at the 2013 Magi-Whirl convention in Alexandria, VA. Not sure if it is in any of his publications (I think so), but well worth it!! I also have the Scott Alexander & Puck 21st Century Silks. Great routine, but I really have not had time to play with it.
[quote]On Nov 25, 2015, jay leslie wrote:
Don't forget the Douglas 20th Century. [/quote]

Sadly, that version does not enter my thoughts when the 20th Century question is raised. It is a great version. Can be played with comedy or seriously. And the whole outfit is still available from Rice Silk King Studios.
Sorry, sadly, the Douglas 20th Century is no longer available from Silk King Studios!
That effect is all sold out. Other Rice's 20th Century effects are still available.
http://www.silkkingmagic.com/Rice's%20Rainbow%2020th%20Century.htm
[quote] Other Rice's 20th Century effects are still available.
http://www.silkkingmagic.com/Rice's%20Rainbow%2020th%20Century.htm [/quote]

Hi Ruth,

Could you post a photo of the middle rainbow silk? What choices of colours do you have for the two side silks?
I used Rice's 20C for about 50 YEARS. (BEAUTIFUL!) I used it next to closing. It got a "show stop" LAUGH, and a BIG MITT. The routine was geared to elementary students, but, when I had a Kdg. thru Senior High audience, the high school kids liked it, too. I wouldn't use it for high school or college groups, though.
I wrote up the routine in my book. It uses a 20C "set" of silks, and a TT with a "decoy" scrap of silk ("Hull's "Elusive Silk"). It runs 3 minutes, and can be padded out to as much as six minutes with extra silks and/or a Demon Wonder Box.

One of the two "side" silks was always blue (to match a corner of the "rainbow" silk. The other "side" silk was usually red.

As Bill mentioned above, ask about "irregulars". About 30 years ago, I bought a 72" DRAGON, from Harold, for $12.50!!! It looked perfect to me!!!
Ah the Decoy... none of the kids know what that is, better PM Dick for the details.

When I was 16 I bought a 6 foot draggon from Swoger for 32.00. My father made me take it back because he couldn't see how I could make money with it.
This time of year, about 25 years ago, I found the same silk in Jims silk collection, in the envolope (where I looked at his request) and he said he had saved it for me all these years then he gave it to me.
I still use it in my Kuma Tubes routine (another routine you should PM dick about) and it's held up all these years.

Here is the same silk with Jim standing in front of it about 1970.

Dick, you might need to write a second book.
Hi Jay!
Egad, my fingers have callouses from pounding this infernal electrisch peckenclacker, to produce the first book!

Now, Racherbaumer is asking when I'll start on the second! (Are you and Jon going to gang up on me??!!

When I was in the Carlsbad area in the early '90s, I spent a half a weekend with Frank Herman. We visited Jim Swoger on Saturday afternoon. I hadn't seen him since an MAES convention in Lancaster, PA, in 1953!

When Frank and I said 'Down the road!" I drove to San Diego to visit J.P. Jackson. It was a GREAT weekend!!!

Thanks for reminding me of "Regow's House of Enchantment"!
But you still have to tell them about the decoy.
Such a small thing yet.

I used to use it with an Abbotts Visible Silk Pull or a Silk Wand.
Now that's magic.
I only remember seeing the late ROY MAYER do the Burling Hull "Elusive Sllk vanish in his school show about 60 years ago. He used it with the CANDLE TUBE.

I think that "nobody" uses it because Hull's routine involved p*lming a loose silk. (About like p*lming a bar of wet soap!) In the '60s, I wanted to use the 20C silks, but did not want to use a ch*ng* b*g to vanish an 18" silk. I developed a handling which didn't need the p*sming of the silk. I wrote it up in the book.

I think I may still have one of Percy's visible pulls. (good idea!) I also have a skinny wand (P&L???) that used a scrap of silk for a vanish.

The Elusive Vanish has 'puzzled" a "few" magicians, who only know what they buy from a catalog!
Yep

I also have 4 sets of the Douglas 20th and that fools anyone under 45.
Too bad everyone buys from the net and doesn't want to support Brick & Morter. I used to tell them. the extra 2 dollars was the landlords money but I guess they didn't like my lamdlord.

The fact that Jim and I would take 20 minutes for that extra 2 doillars meant nothing and that's why all the stuff today is plug and play. Most only know tricks.

Oh well..... back to welding.
Happy new year..... for 2022... I want to be the first !
[quote]On Dec 14, 2015, FiveTheMagician wrote:
[quote] Other Rice's 20th Century effects are still available.
http://www.silkkingmagic.com/Rice's%20Rainbow%2020th%20Century.htm [/quote]

Hi Ruth,

Could you post a photo of the middle rainbow silk? What choices of colours do you have for the two side silks? [/quote]
The bag is blue with corners to match the rainbow silk corners and the solid is usually yellow. The middle silk is a diagonal with a red center.
The artwork on Rice silks is always beautiful!
Thanks Bob!
A nice compliment from you, a great silk guru, is always appreciated!
Quoting Anatole, in his post above...

"There were two "spin-offs" of 20th century silks that I always liked.
One was "Improved, Visible '40th Century' Silks" in Albenice's _Reel Magic_. "

For those Magicians who have never seen this particular version of the 20th Century Silks performed, I reccomend either digging out or buying a copy of Albenice to look it up.

This is THE ONLY version of the 20th Century Silks I have ever done to get GASPS from the audience....Jack Bridwell (R.I.P. Jack) used to call me up on stage in the dealer's showroom at Abbott's get-togethers to Demo this........2 minutes later (or less!) Abbott's SOLD OUT of the necessary something needed to perform this.

I HIGHLY reccomend this version!!!

Trust me, it even FRIES Magicians!
No question! The 40th Century is "spectacular".

However, in my school show, I needed to get maximum time from any trick that needed set up.

I developed a routine that runs about 3 minutes, and has a big laugh at the finish. (plus a big mitt!)

It meets 95% of my CRITERIA! It's next to closing in the elementary school show!

If I need extra time, I can pad it with a string of 12" silks for an extra minute, and/or a 15' string of 12" silks from a Demon Wonder Box (fills the stage!)for an extra 3 minutes.

The finish is a complete SURPRISE (surprise is the essence of entertainment). Recently, I watched a "series" of 20Cs on Yoo Toob. YUK!

Each one worse than the one preceding. No surprise, standard premise, poor patter, lousy vanish of the rainbow (large change bag for an 18" silk, ETC.)

The whole routine is so SIMPLE, even I can do it! And, I printed it in detail in the book. I hope that T. Francis Fritz (Frank Ducrot's real name) is pleased with what I've done with his century old trick!

If you work for kids, and/or families, the 20th C. Silks is a WINNER!

P.S. The complete routine is in the book, and it's performed in the DVD!
Dick, in regards to what you watched on YouTube, once again, as always, you describe the SIGNIFICANT difference between "doing a trick" and being AN ENTERTAINER.

Any Klutz can "do a trick".......ENTERTAINING..........well that's a whole different story!

For those who haven't purchased Dick's new book yet.....DICK OSLUND ROAD SCHOLAR.....what are you waiting for?
I have seen a version. In which, two white silks are shown, one red silk is thrown in the air. It flies and visually gets knotted between the two white silks.. Forgot further details
[quote]On Apr 4, 2017, ursmagicbalu wrote:
I have seen a version. In which, two white silks are shown, one red silk is thrown in the air. It flies and visually gets knotted between the two white silks.. Forgot further details [/quote]

What you seen is called, Prisoner Silk, invented by Marconic. He passed away a number of years ago.

http://magicgoods.com/products/prisoner-silk Very nice silks and works very well.

http://www.magicinc.net/prisonersilkbymarconick.aspx Instructions only.
Thank you Bill.

Here it is

https://youtu.be/g89BvK9RAf0
Yes, with lots of practice Prisoner Silk can be performed as in the video you referenced.

Note: That is the only trick he was doing, it is a little more difficult to do in the middle of an act or show. Of course, you could open with it.

Notice he was holding the silk already, in a real situation, you have to remove the silk from your inner pocket. Or you have to routine picking up the silks from a box or table and get into position.

Don't believe everything you see on YouTube magic presentation, it is staged, not performed in a real show in front of people.

Again, this is [b]PRISIONER SILK[/b]!

Buy it, learn it, rehearse it, and you will see how magical it is in the mirror, and you will be doing it all the time just to perform real looking magic.
Once again Thank you Bill
Bill has given you a very good 'analysis' of this nice visual trick.

Somewhat like the vanishing bird cage, or the vanishing cane, it will require PLANNING, PRACTICE, and, then, REHEARSAL!

I like TRICKS in which the EFFECT is VISUAL!
May want to check out Scott Alexander's Hanky Panky-expensive.
Thank you Dick, plink
We still have some 20th Century silks in stock for the Pros. But when they are gone, they are gone!

These are 18" squares that can be shown as 18" squares. The sets also have a shadow panel to prevent visible color bleed through in strong stage lights. They come in both solid colors and with printed (Thank You, Happy Birthday, Good Bye, Zebra Stripes black/white or red/white, 3 color rainbow, 4 color diagonal) center silks.

We also have a few 24" sets in solid colors. (You will need an assistant or a good "wing span" to use these.)

I usually perform Silk to Egg in combination with 20th Century silk because it vanishes the silk and leaves you clean. There are tons of good patter routines to use this way.

Good real silk 20th Century Silks are vanishing from the market. I hate to see it.
Me, too, Bob!

I've worn out more 20Cs than I care to count (both in silks, and $$$!!)

I still have two spare sets one new, and one that is much used, but, still usable, otherwise, I'd be sending you a check!

Too many of the young guys, don't realize how good Frank Ducrot's idea is/was!

Maybe they've been watching the 50 or 60 DEMONSTRATIONS (certainly not, PERFORMANCES) of 20C on the YOO TOOB by klutzes who figure that the only way to vanish an 18" silk is with one of those "red velvet bags on a stick"! YUK!!!

My 20C is NEXT TO CLOSING for the elementary kids. It's 3 minutes of LAUGHS + APPLAUSE. --And, I can pad it out to 6 minutes (more LAUGHS, + APPLAUSE) I wrote up the entire routine in my book, and, it's also on my dvd.
In all due respect to those who have made lovely sets of 20th Century Silks......Bob Sanders' 20th Century Silk sets are THE BEST MADE OUT THERE!

Do yourself a favor and get 'em while you can!
Bob,
Do you have a website for your products? At "Magic by Sander"
http://www.magicbysander.com/

Best is to simply email him

Amazedwiz@yahoo.com

I see links called:
Home
Unique Qualifications
Corporate Magic
Benefiting Business
Tradeshows

but no link for "Products"

Bob does not have a website for his products, if you contact him, you he will send you a price list in Excel format. Take my word for it, his silks are top quality and excellent.

If you don't have excel, you can download MS Excel Reader for free to open it.
Bill is correct. I do not maintain a website for the silks. I am the importer, and not a retailer. They are available since I do travel and offer silks at lectures and conventions. The pros around the world use my silks. Email me for information and give me the opportunity to help.

Thank you.

Bob
amazedwiz@yahoo.com
I have a set of Bob Sanders' 20th century silks. I use them in every show - it's my closer. Highly recommended!
Yup! Jim, I use 20C NEXT TO CLOSING!!! (for the last 30+ years!) I close with the Misers Dream (for elementary schools) --THAT'S 'cuz the MD is the only routine in the show that CAN follow the 20C!!!
Just bought 20th Century Silks from Bob. And I know this is common knowledge, but I just gotta say it. The service you get from Bob when you buy anything from him is priceless!!! We need more guys like him around!!!!!
[quote]On Feb 24, 2016, Dick Oslund wrote:
No question! The 40th Century is "spectacular".

However, in my school show, I needed to get maximum time from any trick that needed set up.

I developed a routine that runs about 3 minutes, and has a big laugh at the finish. (plus a big mitt!)

It meets 95% of my CRITERIA! It's next to closing in the elementary school show!

If I need extra time, I can pad it with a string of 12" silks for an extra minute, and/or a 15' string of 12" silks from a Demon Wonder Box (fills the stage!)for an extra 3 minutes.

The finish is a complete SURPRISE (surprise is the essence of entertainment). Recently, I watched a "series" of 20Cs on Yoo Toob. YUK!

Each one worse than the one preceding. No surprise, standard premise, poor patter, lousy vanish of the rainbow (large change bag for an 18" silk, ETC.)

The whole routine is so SIMPLE, even I can do it! And, I printed it in detail in the book. I hope that T. Francis Fritz (Frank Ducrot's real name) is pleased with what I've done with his century old trick!

If you work for kids, and/or families, the 20th C. Silks is a WINNER!

P.S. The complete routine is in the book, and it's performed in the DVD! [/quote]

A slight, but important, "amendment" to my post....

In the next to the last sentence, I said, "If you work for kids, and/or families, the 20th C Silks is a WINNER!" >>>PLEASE, ADD THE FOLLOWING TO THAT SENTENCE: (IF you have a GOOD PRESENTATION!) <<<

I'm adding that, because most of the times that I see a magician perform the trick, it's about the same as 50 others that I've seen, on YOO TOOB! --And, those are YUK.
[quote]On Mar 31, 2018, Dick Oslund wrote:
A slight, but important, "amendment" to my post....

In the next to the last sentence, I said, "If you work for kids, and/or families, the 20th C Silks is a WINNER!" >>>PLEASE, ADD THE FOLLOWING TO THAT SENTENCE: (IF you have a GOOD PRESENTATION!) <<<

I'm adding that, because most of the times that I see a magician perform the trick, it's about the same as 50 others that I've seen, on YOO TOOB! --And, those are YUK. [/quote]

That is a very important point!

When I first learned 20th Century Silks it was generally done by putting the two tied together silks in a glass, then vanishing the third silk, then pulling the three from the glass. This just didn't produce a reaction sufficient to merit a place in the act. Then I hit upon a routine, Baseball Silks, which gets a strong response.

The patter is about how when I was a kid I always wanted to play ball in the house but was afraid of breaking something. But then I had an idea, what if I used silks instead of a ball?! I then bring a child from the audience to demonstrate. Two blue silks are tied together to create a "bat". I have the child strike a batter pose with the silks resting on his/her shoulder and them gripping only the un*******d silk. I tell the child I will 'pitch' the red silk and instruct him/her not to swing until I say. Then I take several steps away. I then visibly stuff the silk into my fist and motion like a pitcher saying 'swing!'. Of course the silk vanishes and a split second later reappears as the child goes through the swinging motion.

It is a very strong 'in the hand' moment, very similar to what happens with sponge balls. Usually the child's eyes will get big and they will be shocked by the sudden appearance. The audience almost always goes dead silent. I then briskly step forward taking the silks from the child holding them high and saying 'that was almost a homerun swing but unfortunately they caught it just before it got over the wall! Everyone, please give [name] a round of applause for such a great swing." This breaks the silence and they respond very well.

A few quick points. My g******d silk is of a heavier material which helps in the appearence as it has some inertia. It may seem risky putting the silks in the child's hands but in the several hundred times I have done this I have never had a child swing early or have the silk fall off their shoulder. It is just natural, and I reinforce, that they not swing until the pitch is underway and I tell them. Finally, I have found a solid color silk looks better than a burst design in this 'flash' appearance.

If you haven't tried 20th century silks, this is another easy routine to give a go.
Hi Frank!

Good! It wouldn't work for ME, but, THAT'S NOT IMPORTANT! >>>It works for YOU!<<<

I wish that more magicians would use a bit of imagination when they PRESENT a trick.

The 'classics' just need a bit of thinking to update the basic EFFECT!
P.S. I started using a routine for the 20thC Silks that Percy Abbott, when I was about 14 or 15 ('46 or '47) had in his catalog #7. The catalog name was "Yellow Joe or The Gangster's Waterloo". I needed help, at that age, in developing PRESENTATIONS! After about 6 or 7 shows, I realized that, "Joe" was not playing for ME!

I cut it, and kept searching. FINALLY, when I was in my mid '30s, I was able to develop a practical routine that fit ME, and, my PERSONALITY. I've used it ever since. It uses the standard set of silks, a "TT", set up for the Burling Hull "Elusive" silk vanish, plus a little boy. After a year, "on the road", it was so strong that it moved to NEXT TO CLOSING. It runs about 3 minutes, but, I can pad it out to about 4 minutes, with a a 6' string of 12" silks, from my pocket, or as much as 6 minutes with a production of 3 15" silks, and a 15' foot string of 12" silks from an old 'Demon Wonder Box. (THAT, fills the stage!). Set up time for the 3 minute basic routine, is about 15 seconds. If I use the pads, set up is about 2 minutes more.

I wrote up the whole thing in my book. It gets laughs, then a big LAUGH, and then, a big MITT! It's designed to play for the elementary school kids, but, when I would have a Kindergarten thru 12th grade audience in rural western states, the teenagers (older brothers and sisters) enjoyed the little guys "starring role", because it's NOT a "kiddie trick". I don't use it, for a Jr. or Sr High School. It plays very well for family groups!
Dick, sounds wonderful! I am now on the hunt for the book and DVD. I was a professional for only four years, which paid for my college. As a youth I was greatly influenced by two books, Hank Moorehouse's [i]Words from the Wizard[/i] and Frances Marshal's [i]The Happy Birthday Business[/i]. Your KISMIF! principle is a summary of what I took away from those two works. The 30 minute birthday party act fit in a suit case.

It was the routine in Marshall's book which led me to try 20th century silks as it is used to make the birthday child the center of attention and has a personalized message aspect similar to Dukes Dye Version. But it didn't quite 'hit' for me.

It is interesting to note the number of great turn-of-the-last-century magicians who included a version of this in their act. For example, in [i]Programmes of Famous Magicians[/i] [url]https://archive.org/details/ProgrammesOfFamousMagicians[/url] we have:

Durbin
Frazee
Mulholland
Okito
Rosini
Ransom
Tarbell

Wouldnt it be wonderful if we knew all their routines?
Hello "dere" (Upper Peninsula of Michigan "dialect"!:)

I would imagine that the performers you mention would have done a fairly standard presentation of Frank Ducrot's "invention"!

I didn't write a detailed presentation of my 20C, as it's "in the book"! I keep a stock of books and dvds here. I'll PM you with address, etc.

I'm pleased that you like my limited description of my 20C. It's ultra simple! (KISMIF!)

I helped Hank, when he was starting out as a professional. Frances and Jay were my dear friends for years. I think that Charlie Miller and I were "tied" for our stays in "the Suite"!

Four years is "long enough" to qualify as a "retired" pro! I'll PM you in a day or two.
I have never purchased a version of 20th century silk, but have been performing the Tarbell version for almost 40 years. I especially like producing the silks out of a spectators magic hat.

The other silk trick I have enjoyed is a blendo from Manfred Thumm. His silks have been used hundreds of times and still look like new.
Hello "R" I hope you don't mind that I just used your first name! (We're quite casual here) hee hee

I gotta clarify something! I didn't purchase a version of the 20th C. Silk! I had started doing a version of the 20th C, in late 1946. I had already read my way through five volumes of TARBELL.) I stopped using using Percy Abbott's "Yellow Joe" version as it was too hokey. (Even at 15, I realized that!)

For several years I considered doing it with a different presentation, Finally, I thought that I had a good idea. I purchased from my friend Harold Rice, the PROPS (four silks) for the 20th C. l tried out my "new" routine that fall, and, it was successful. By season's end, I moved it to "next to closing'. It was THAT strong!

The late Harold Taylor passed along the "English method", and, I made that change in my routine. I have since bought from Harold two or three more sets of silks, to replace worn out silks.
Hi D! First names good with me. ;-). There are really only two Tarbell tricks I consistently used; 20th century and illusive silk. I normally run them together. Illusive first. Have to admit that I donít know the English method. The closest I had to replacing my silks was when using a duck pan that caught my table on fire. Live and learn.

Wish that I performed enough to wear out the silks!
Interestingly, according to [i]Programmes of Famous Magicians[/i] Tarbell used the Douglas version in his act. This is listed in the Tarbell Course volume 2 as 'The Elusive Rainbow'. He calls it "one of the best that has appeared to date." Guess he put his silks where his mouth was. :)
Hello (again) R! I think that you mean Elusive Silk (vanish) Burling Hull is generally credited with the "decoy" silk scrap in the "TT". (In "those days", TTs were metal, and, mostly about an inch long. --A TT wouldn't hold even a 12" s*lk). I use the Hull Elusive for the 20C, too. (Watch the 20C on YOO TOOB! Darn near everyone of the "demonstrations" (certainly not performances!) uses a red velvet bag on a stick to vanish an 18" silk. (YUK!)

I'll PM you and try to give you the 'work' on the "English" method. It has been "around". but, is seldom seen (at least by ME! It's just a way of utilizing (I like THAT word) an ordinary silk, not a silk, gaffed for the 20C.

I have owned, perhaps a half dozen different duck and/or dove pans in the past 60 years (bought at estate sales) and never have used one in my show! heehee

On school tours, I would average 13 programs per week, and, have done as many as 20 per week! Even with care, things like silks, get worn. I saved, for example, the old rainbow silks for use as decoys in the TT. (I'm an old Boy Scout--THRIFTY!)
Hi Frank!

I can only remember seeing the Douglas version of the 20th C, performed ONCE, by Clem Magrum, in his retirement years. He had trimmed his school show, from 10 pieces of luggage, to one suitcase! (You'll read about that in my book!) It's a pretty effect, and he did it well, but, I don't care for "mouth magic"! Tarbell is still, and probably always will be, THE "course". Doc "gave" me the PRINCIPLES! The PRESENTATIONS, of course, need "up dating"!!! --But, the principles are the important thing!
Thanks Dick. The first magician I ever saw was in second grade at school. 1969. You never know, it could have been you! I begged for a magic kit after that.

I think you are right about elusive over illusive. I should go back to my book and make sure I know. I always try to be able to credit everything I perform.

I used the pan one time and it was a disaster. Thought long and hard and realized I didnít want fire to be in the back of my head while performing. So, changed out to a bottle appearance with a silk fountain finish.

Btw, Eagle Scout here. Most of my performances have been for Scout groups.
If you want a good finale bottle production, check out James Rainho's lecture notes on bottles and glass productions.
1969~~~Where (what town, and what school? I haven't kept detailed records of all the years, but, it would be fun to check this out!

I'm kinda busy this week, but, I WILL try to fill you in on the English "method" as soon as I find a free minute! You may never use it, but, the more that you know about a trick that you do, the more you will be able to handle any situation. (Be Prepared!)
East Elementary, Mountain Home, Idaho

Thanks Bill, will take a look.
Steven Hart sells a beautiful set of 21st Century Silks that are specially gimmicked so the appearing silk cannot show up while you tie the two silks together. Very handy! Also, this entire effect plays very well with the use of a puppet for kids. Adults love it, too!
Where can you buy 21st Century Silks by Steven Hart?
In 40+ seasons doing a minimum of 13 programs per week, and, often 16 -17 programs, I've NEVER had a problem with the "rainbow" silk "arriving too soon!!! --And, I often use the ENGLISH method of loading the rainbow in an ungaffed silk.

T. Francis Fritz (David Ducrot's birth name) never needed more than the standard load silk. His METHOD, and EFFECT has "survived" for a hundred years. I'll continue to "struggle" with the the "tried and true". (Keep it SIMPLE...Make it FUN!)
We still have some of the pro model 20th Century silks. These are for the pros, not most magic shops. (DoveLite silks are no longer available in USA magic dealers. They are available direct.) They are really 18" and can bee shown square. Rarely do I do a show without 20th century silks and typically combine it with Silk to Egg. It give me a clean vanish of an 18" silk and carries out the routine to a logical ending.

There are good reasons why they are used by the pros around the world.

Bob Sanders
Amazedwiz@yahoo.com
Bob,
I currently perform Silk2Egg (using your silks and eggs) and have been thinking about adding either 20th Century or Sympathetic as a leadin. Would love your thoughts on either of these, either here, via PM, or even over the phone!

Merry Christmas!
Hudson
Hudson,

I sent you an email to hudson@hudsonmagic.com
Thanks Bob!
Revisiting various 20th century silks methods...

At about the 2:00 spot of this facebook videolink (if it works):
https://www.facebook.com/338764602812514/videos/634671953222251/
you might be able to see my "Third Millennium Silks" routine. I wanted a suave and debonair way to magically produce all three silks before doing the 20th century bit, so I modified some stuff from Tarbell and other sources. This routine was published in the August 1989 issue of _GENII_ and is also in my lecture notes.

"Third Millennium Silks" is fine for a manipulation act, but for school shows and such I do a more conventional over-the-counter Rice 20th Century Silks set.

I may have mentioned before that my friends the late Joe and Georgi Smiley did a great 20th Century Silks routine with a science fiction theme. I also remember reading in GENII_about someone who would tie two ungimmicked silks together and then, when going to his prop box for a magic wand, simply switched the ungimmicked silks for a gimmicked set.

I learned about the generic 20th Century Silks effect in Joseph Leeming's _Fun with Magic_. I'm guessing that most of the lay audience can't distinguish something like the Leeming version from a Rice gimmicked set.

Thanks Anatole for posting that video, I throughly enjoyed seeing the entire act! Excellent!