(Close Window)
Topic: The End of restaurant magic
Is it the beginning of the end of restaurant magic ?
I been trying to get work. Two restaurants let me go because of new owners and budget cuts. Now we have 100 tv sets in a place , ipads ,phones ect
Any thoughts ?
Never had more work.
I've lost restaurants over the years due to them being bought by larger conglomerates BUT I always managed to find new venues.

Don't give up.
You just have to find a good fit and the right owner / manager. Poitive feedback from the clientele means allot. If the management is not getting enthusiastic / poitive feedback then what do they need you for? I watched your video and you look like a fun talented guy. Just keep trying.

Someone once told me the harder you work the luckier you get and 80% of sucess is just being there, showing up.
Good luck.
I will be in Chicago next month for Christmas...where can I take a handful of friends/relatives to see some restaurant magic? I have herd that restaurant magic is alive and well in Chicago so I'm excited for my trip.
Contact Jonathan Kamm and find out where he will be working. If you can't find him here, he's on Facebook.
Thanks Michael...
Beginning of the end? I've found that there's always room at the top. Don't worry about the state of restaurant magic. Just make sure that when you perform, people walk away feeling as if they've been treated to something special.
Check out the Chicago Magic Lounge. My buddy John works there.
[quote]On Nov 20, 2015, twistedace wrote:
Check out the Chicago Magic Lounge. My buddy John works there. [/quote]

...thanks for the tip! Looks like they have magicians only one night a week. Unfortunately the Thursday I will be there will be Thanksgiving.
I always have restaurant work. I've been playing the same restaurant now for 8 years and play at other locations in the same company. If you'd like a fresh perspective, try going here: www.sleightlydelusional.com
Hi Peppermeat2000,

There is a lot of magic to see/be a part of in Chicago: Some of the below options might be subject to change during the Christmas Holiday.

1. You have The Magic Parlor at the Palmer Hotel: http://themagicparlourchicago.com

2. The Chicago Underground Lounge, every Thursday night: http://www.uptownunderground.net/ox_portfolio/chicago-magic-lounge/

3. The Magic Cabaret on Wednesdays: http://www.magic-cabaret.com

4. Magic Chicago Show: http://www.magicchicagoshow.com Although, it appears they only have one show during December and it is on the 2nd.

5. O'Donavan's Restaurant has live strolling magicians, Fridays through Sundays (6-9PM): http://www.odonovansbar.com , which happens to be two blocks from my place.

6. You can see me perform every Friday (2-8pm) and Saturday (1-6pm) at Lagunitas Brewery, kid friendly, live music, great beer, quality food, and free tours. I have my own desingated table (black jack size), however, I will be flying home from December 23-30th. It is still a fun place to visit. https://lagunitas.com/taprooms/chicago

7. There is also a great magic shop called Magic Inc. worth a trip and they can help with any additional magic shows in Chicago: http://www.magicinc.net/about-us.aspx

Some of these shows have discounts on goldstar.com as well as other discounts on Chicago shows. I hope this helps...

Best,

Mike O'Donnell
[quote]On Nov 23, 2015, Mike ODonnell wrote:
Hi Peppermeat2000,

There is a lot of magic to see/be a part of in Chicago: Some of the below options might be subject to change during the Christmas Holiday.

1. You have The Magic Parlor at the Palmer Hotel: http://themagicparlourchicago.com

2. The Chicago Underground Lounge, every Thursday night: http://www.uptownunderground.net/ox_portfolio/chicago-magic-lounge/

3. The Magic Cabaret on Wednesdays: http://www.magic-cabaret.com

4. Magic Chicago Show: http://www.magicchicagoshow.com Although, it appears they only have one show during December and it is on the 2nd.

5. O'Donavan's Restaurant has live strolling magicians, Fridays through Sundays (6-9PM): http://www.odonovansbar.com , which happens to be two blocks from my place.

6. You can see me perform every Friday (2-8pm) and Saturday (1-6pm) at Lagunitas Brewery, kid friendly, live music, great beer, quality food, and free tours. I have my own desingated table (black jack size), however, I will be flying home from December 23-30th. It is still a fun place to visit. https://lagunitas.com/taprooms/chicago

7. There is also a great magic shop called Magic Inc. worth a trip and they can help with any additional magic shows in Chicago: http://www.magicinc.net/about-us.aspx

Some of these shows have discounts on goldstar.com as well as other discounts on Chicago shows. I hope this helps...

Best,

Mike O'Donnell [/quote]

Thank you Mike...I'll be looking into a couple of the places that you mentioned. Happy Thanksgiving!
I need to move to Chi town.
[quote]On Nov 17, 2015, andrew martin wrote:
Is it the beginning of the end of restaurant magic ?
I been trying to get work. Two restaurants let me go because of new owners and budget cuts. Now we have 100 tv sets in a place , ipads ,phones ect
Any thoughts ? [/quote]
Back On Topic...............................
Do more phone tricks
Unfortunately, the majority of the general public has no idea that restaurant magic even exists. In that context restaurant magic never even had a beginning. I applaud those who pursue performing for the general public, regardless of the venue that they choose. Personally, I would much rather see close-up magic be the main focus of an evenings entertainment rather than a diversion while waiting for the appetizers to arrive. On the flip side, I suppose that at least we have a small contingency of restaurant workers who bring the joy of magic to the general public, otherwise it really would be the end of restaurant magic.
AMEN!

For a LONG time now I have been shocked at close up magic being relegated to the dust bin of entertainment. It is 3 tricks hopefully prior to the salad! OH MAN it is no way to work. I refuse to work that way.

At Schuliens and every place I have worked since it is after the meal, it is sitting at the table like it has been for 100 plus years. It MATTERS. It is not something that keeps the kids busy on family nights so parents can talk till the salad arrives. Part of the problem is the societal changes of hurry up now do it! That does nothing to help. Restaurants wanting to turn and burn tables and such also hurts the cause.

But finding places to do this type of actual performance are not impossible, it just takes time to look for them.
I agree with the above posts, which is why I really like the set-up I have at my location. A designated table/area just for magic. People come because they want to be entertained. It makes for a great time by both the entertainer and the spectators/participants. There are no worries about interrupting or intruding, people that sit down are there by choice.

Mike
[quote]On Nov 25, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
AMEN!

For a LONG time now I have been shocked at close up magic being relegated to the dust bin of entertainment. It is 3 tricks hopefully prior to the salad! OH MAN it is no way to work. I refuse to work that way.

At Schuliens and every place I have worked since it is after the meal, it is sitting at the table like it has been for 100 plus years. It MATTERS. It is not something that keeps the kids busy on family nights so parents can talk till the salad arrives. Part of the problem is the societal changes of hurry up now do it! That does nothing to help. Restaurants wanting to turn and burn tables and such also hurts the cause.

But finding places to do this type of actual performance are not impossible, it just takes time to look for them. [/quote]

Dust Bin of entertainment? For me a least that has not been my experience. I guess I can speak from experience since I've been performing in this scenario into my 15th year. It depends on one's personality, approach, people skills and what is being offered. Just this past week the GM of one of my restaurant venues stressed how much they like having me there. I was humbled and thankful for the compliment.

Sure I agree, I would be optimal to have the scenario where he focus of the evening is magic as opposed to the often times interrupted routines by the wait staff with dinner. But since I don't have that scenario or choose to create one, and perform as I do, the patrons sure seem to love it and that is what it is all about. Not MY perfect scenario rather providing an enjoyable unique experience for them. Do I get the occasional "no we're no interested", yes, but rarely. I works for me and I'm glad I didn't listen to the above advice when I first started. My opinion of course.
Well said davidpaul$. I'm proud to be a restaurant magician. I know people enjoy what I do. I love interacting with kids and being part of their childhood memories. I also love interacting with adults who really appreciate the sleight of hand.

You can't have a thin skin and be a restaurant magician. You can't be a diva. You can't be a snob. You have to love people and you have to be ready for anything.
[quote]On Nov 25, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
AMEN!

But finding places to do this type of actual performance are not impossible, it just takes time to look for them. [/quote]

Thanks for that perspective, Danny.
[quote]On Nov 26, 2015, Mike ODonnell wrote:
I agree with the above posts, which is why I really like the set-up I have at my location. A designated table/area just for magic. People come because they want to be entertained. It makes for a great time by both the entertainer and the spectators/participants. There are no worries about interrupting or intruding, people that sit down are there by choice.

Mike [/quote]

This is something I've been considering. Thanks.
[quote]On Dec 17, 2015, magicalaurie wrote:
[quote]On Nov 26, 2015, Mike ODonnell wrote:

Mike [/quote]

This is something I've been considering. Thanks. [/quote]

I have never done anything like this but it seems interesting if you can manage to pry valuable revenue generating space away from them.
Bring your own (little) table/chair? I've worked elsewhere with just a chair and my wooden close-up case on my lap as a "stage" and found it very practical and more comfortable than working behind a table.
Yea that would not work at all for me but to each his own. If it works great.
[quote]On Dec 17, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
... it seems interesting if you can manage to pry valuable revenue generating space away from them. [/quote]
I've been involved in programming restaurant table-layout software for servers and this quote makes me laugh a lot - I can feel your experience in your tone.
I am not sure if that is good or bad.
Hmmm, not good or bad - just agreeing that good managers at busy locations use every lick of space, and I assumed you knew this well by this phrase: "if you can manage to pry", hehe.
Absolutely. I agree completely.

It is just that many here have told me I am wrong.

A good manager knows exactly how much each chair and bar stool will generate over a given year. Getting them to part with space is not easy.
How much space does the average magician use in a restaurant? If you sit at the table, you're using a chair, yes, Danny? Restaurant's chair or your own?
I have no idea what you are asking. You can't seriously be asking if it is the physical chair that generates money can you?

The thing I was responding to was the idea of having your own space to perform at. IF this is done it is at the sacrifice of valuable money generating square footage. It is not the physical chair that is the issue it is the square footage this chair occupies. Any restaurant or business owner will know how much money they generate per square foot. (Well successful ones will.) Every business must generate X dollars in order to survive, and Y dollars to have a profit. When square footage that can be generating money is being used for a non money generating effort it causes managers to have fits. There is only so much square footage in any establishment. This is why the work of laying out a restaurant can be such a huge deal, and that was why I used the term "pry" square footage away.

I am not getting into if a magician generates money, brings in business or helps the bottom line. Whether they do not isn't relevant to the discussion.

What exactly are you asking me?
I have also not mentioned whether I think it is a good or a bad idea to try to have the "space" for magic.

I have not done it and it might very well work. I have no idea. I only am talking about the money per square footage problem. Nothing more.
Straight questions, Danny. I get it. My point is would there be much difference between using a chair in a designated magic space and using a chair at a customer's table? If a magician doesn't help the bottom line, what would be the motivation in hiring one? I'd say that's very relevant to this discussion.
There would be a HUGE difference. First off a chair that is a permanent dedicated spot will generate zero revenue. It is that simple. A chair at a customers table that you sit in only has you there for a few minutes. Plus if it is a 4 top and there are 4 people you will add a chair or stand. It is revenue neutral. Again you are hung up on the physical chair and it is not about the chair. It is about the space in the universe the chair takes up.

As for helping the bottom line this is a tired old discussion. Look through some old threads it is all there. Here in short are some of reasons to hire entertainment beyond the bottom line.

Almost nobody will go to a restaurant for the very first time based on the fact that there is a magician there. A magician is a net drain on the bottom line. I will say that a lot of people will RETURN to a restaurant because a magician is there. This is the important part. It can become an important factor in the customer making a decision to return. It is difficult to quantify, it is difficult to track but it can happen. It is certainly a good thing to have customers returning because of you but it does take time to build that up.

When a restaurant pays you in dollars it makes those dollars back by selling food and drink. In this equation that means they have to sell between 4 and 5 times what they pay you just to be even.

Square footage in a restaurant now is about generating money. A space that can have a magician can have a table for people who will pay for dinner. If you do not generate money in that spot, it is like losing money for the restaurant. Add to this the amount it costs to even hire a magician in the first place and the cost of what it becomes to have to pay that back in sales and you can see why managers and owners don't always see the value in a magician.

There are lots of reasons to hire magicians. Ambiance, family nights, or just to sort of set the place apart from all the other restaurants. As I said eventually it can and generally will help the bottom line when done well. It is simply not the point I would start with when doing the selling that is for certain.
I'm not hung up on the chair, Danny. I was asking your opinion. Thank you for giving it. :)
Of course, I understand your point, Danny. My questions were geared to finding out whether it's worth approaching restaurants at all, you see. :) It is, I think, and I will but trying to find a motive for them to hire is what I'm working on. Like I said before, small town. Maybe some new open minds, though. We'll see.
So lets say you put a table in.
Are you going to be there for the breakfast crowd and lunch crowd? Are you going to be there 363 days a year? (When they could be using that seat to generate money)
Space = money in the business world

You need to get around, on your feet and stay away from the wait staff and don't interfere with their schedule. Any one complains for any reason and it's your fault.

The only exception is if the restaursnt is layed-out wierd and they have a small cubby hole that isn't large enough for a table and they don't want to use it for a station
If here was an tiny outside chance that the restaurant says "Sure... take that table over there. Use it whwnever you want" , that means they don't have enough business to fill all the seats.

It sounds to me like you need to do a stand up show in a dinner theatre and take part of the door charge.
Jay fantastic points about the staff. No doubt that is the truth!

Laurie the motive is what I have laid out. It works. I don't care if it is a small town it works the same with business. But the big problem you might run into is regulars. Once you have gone through those who want to see it then it becomes about new material. Not an easy thing.

I lived in Key Largo for 3 years. Yes a tourist town in winter but summer it is nothing but a small town. Worked 7 nights a week even in slow parts. it can and does work even in small towns.
[quote]On Dec 18, 2015, jay leslie wrote:
It sounds to me like you need to do a stand up show in a dinner theatre and take part of the door charge. [/quote]

?

Jay, around here, the restaurant could be laid out "weird". :) Above, I was just weighing options, so I was asking 'bout the possibility of a "cubby hole", as you put it, because, who knows- the space might have one, and the owner might prefer the magic work that way, instead of table to table.

Danny, Great, thanks. Appreciated. :)
Do you have experience with table to table?
Now that's the first question that should have been addressed.

Once he's "been there, done that" he won't need to ask the initial question.
[quote]On Dec 18, 2015, jay leslie wrote:
... Any one complains for any reason and it's your fault. [/quote]
So true.
[quote]On Dec 19, 2015, jay leslie wrote:
Now that's the first question that should have been addressed.

Once he's "been there, done that" he won't need to ask the initial question. [/quote]

You could use this response to answer so many questions!!
Make that "she", please & thank you.

No, Danny, sorry that wasn't clear. There's been no magic by anyone in restaurants here in town, EVER, far as I know. So this would be new and very different. Which might be a good selling point to one of the newer places, I think.
If you can actually pull it off yes.

It is not about only knowing the tricks as David points out.
The setting where I have a black jack size table is at a brewery (Lagunitas). It's not in the restaurant, but just outside in the hallway (lounge type area) along with a few high top tables and couches. It's a great spot that looks out over the brewery and does not "eat up" the money generating tables. Space is not really an issue in this 300,000 square foot facility. After the football season is over, I'll be there three days week.

I think with the boom of craft beers, that these brewery's are a good fit for magic. Obviously, you have to find a brewery that wants to create an experience and memories for its guests.
[quote]On Dec 20, 2015, Mike ODonnell wrote:
... It's not in the restaurant, but just outside in the hallway (lounge type area)...[/quote]
Thanks for sharing that. A new area to keep an eye out for when scouting venues.
What works for some may not work for others.

In my years of performing restaurants, I have been the official after dinner entertainment, doing three 45-minute shows per night for groups of 12-20. I have done table-hopping between ordering and food delivery, and between main course and dessert, both seated and standing. I have had a space in a corner. I have had a table or portable table, and I have worked purely out of my pockets. I have been paid by the restaurant with instruction not to accept tips, and I have been paid by the restaurant and encouraged to accept tips additionally. (I have never worked solely for tips, but that was based on my decision, not for lack of opportunities.) I've worked places where there was other entertainment (live bands, lots of TVs, etc) and places where I was the sole entertainment.

What I won't say is that you always must do it a certain way. Just because you can't do something at every place doesn't mean you should never do it at any place. I WILL say I think it is a mistake to dismiss something out of hand, especially when it comes from someone who has decades in the trenches. You may not end up implementing the advice, but it certainly bears consideration. I will also say that, just because someone is new doesn't mean they don't have something valuable to offer. People dismiss ideas too quickly around here these days, it seems to me. Which is the primary reason I rarely post anymore.

As to the original question: No, we're not seeing the end of restaurant magic. A few years ago, people were dismissing stage magic--it's still going strong. People said you could never use a TT, or linking rings, or a DL, because everybody knows about them form YouTube, etc, and you won't fool anyone with them. I think you'll find many working pros still using all of those things to amaze and entertain.

Further, even if a certain type of magic has peaked and is declining, say, in Vegas, in no way means it can't be extremely successful in Boise, or Des Moines, or Poughkeepsie. And even if another restaurant has a magician, it doesn't have YOU. Stop selling "magic" and start selling YOU. In a way that accommodates the client and meets their needs an/or desires. I don't want a restaurant or other potential client to say, "We want a magician," I want 'em sayingg, "GET ME THAT GUINN GUY!"

My unsolicited two cents. Off my soapbox. Signing off.
I think performing in bars and restaurants is alive and well, still. I've worked for years (20-30 years ago) in bars 2-3 nights a week, at the same places between 6 and 10 years each. That led me to doing trade shows (about 15 per year) for many years. All of my venues had a bar attached to the restaurant and typically, I spent the vast majority of my time in the bar/lounge area. The only time I went into the restaurant area was by request. Many of the servers would mention that there was a magician that night and would be happy to send them to the table for a few minutes if they would like. This really worked for me. I was only in the restaurant area "by request" and never disturbed anyone who wanted privacy.

To me, the bar areas were perfect. I had many, many regulars that came in for years. They knew the patter lines as well as I did for many tricks. To those people I was acting more as a professional host than as a magician. They'd usually get one new trick a week, but they thrived off of knowing what was coming for the people they brought with them or who were sitting down the bar.

I'm far from the world's greatest close-up magician, but, I always found it extremely easy to find work. I'd sit at the bar on a slowish night, strike up a conversation with the bartender, do a couple of quick tricks... soon a waitress would watch and then I'd be the talk of the place pretty quickly. From there, it was easy. Find out who the manager is, stop in again to see him using the name of the bartender and the wait staff and it was just a matter of what night I'd be working... for the most part.

I'm nearly 60 now, but after many years of laying off magic, I've gotten the itch again. I've been practicing for about 3 months now and decided to try out the old technique (except now I bring my wife with me)... still works like a charm. Went into 2 fairly upscale restaurant/bars and came out with 1 offer for one and the staff giving me all of the information about the manager on the second. I'll be starting 1 night a week after the New Year and that's really all I have in me at this point... it just makes me more motivated to practice when I know I have an audience.

I've found that for bars/restaurants its much more about personality then it is about the magic. Your magic should be good... but without a pleasant personality and a mindset of being a professional host for the establishment, your run could be very short.
Sadly I'm one of the only restaurant magicians that I know of here in KC
[quote]On Dec 28, 2015, TheRealMagicMike

I've found that for bars/restaurants its much more about personality then it is about the magic. Your magic should be good... but without a pleasant personality and a mindset of being a professional host for the establishment, your run could be very short. [/quote]
Words of WISDOM
Advice needed, I am a children's entertainer that would love to do close up, I jumped in at the depend last night, as I took an Indian restaurant valentines evening, the owner wanted me to do balloons as well, all adults and all eating about the same time, when they finished eating they wanted to chat to each other, this gig was 2 hrs as well, longest 2 hrs I've ever done,
Wally, I'm not sure I understand your question. Do you want advice on what close up magic works for adults? Do you already know some close up but do mostly balloons?
[quote]On Feb 15, 2019, wally wrote:
Advice needed, I am a children's entertainer that would love to do close up, I jumped in at the depend last night, as I took an Indian restaurant valentines evening, the owner wanted me to do balloons as well, all adults and all eating about the same time, when they finished eating they wanted to chat to each other, this gig was 2 hrs as well, longest 2 hrs I've ever done, [/quote]

I think you might be asking how to "get noticed" or how to "break into" a table... how about:

"Hi folks, I apologize for interrupting... My name is Joe, I'm the magician here, would you care to see one quick trick; quick and amazing as you continue on your evening?"
[quote]On Feb 15, 2019, wally wrote:
Advice needed, I am a children's entertainer that would love to do close up, I jumped in at the depend last night, as I took an Indian restaurant valentines evening, the owner wanted me to do balloons as well, all adults and all eating about the same time, when they finished eating they wanted to chat to each other, this gig was 2 hrs as well, longest 2 hrs I've ever done, [/quote]

Besides reading thread here in the Café, get Kozmo’s “Live at th Jailhouse” dvd art. Great information from a variety of restaurant workers on everything from planning routines, to approaching table,to handling various situations:

http://www.kozmomagic.com/product/live-at-the-jailhouse-a-guide-to-restaurant-magic/
"Live at the Jailhouse" Is available for free if you're a Reel Magic ON Demand Subscriber @ www.reelmagicmagazine.com

$5 a month...no long term commitment