(Close Window)
Topic: Marc Salem
I've had two interesting experiences with Marc Salem on TV.

I saw him about a year ago on TV and I had never heard of him. In this particular interview he was never referred to as a mentalist but instead as a expert in human behaviour. He performed a fantastic drawing indentification and duplication routine and his patter, character and narrative were so good that I, even knowing how it COULD be done using trickery, completely believed that he was reading the spectator's body language! I only just realised that he was a mentalist! :o :o ....in fact I'm still not 100% sure he didn't duplicate the drawing just from their body language....

The second experience was from a friend who knows me as a magician and who mentioned he saw Salem on a TV show where he has a card 'choosen' from a deck and he figured out the card, again from body language. From what my friend, it sound like a classic f****. I told him, that I had been practicing the same technique but since I was a magician and I COULD use trickery, I'd perform under test conditions. I then used Osterlind's BTCS to figure out the card he was thinking of. Whilst he was impressed and amazed, he mentioned afterwards that it was a great 'trick' and it really 'looked like' I was reading his body language!
I guess it only goes to show the power of the title of magician vs. body language expert in performing credibly!

I believe the same thing happened to Randi when he performed spoon bending right after Gellar on a tv show. The interviewer said "Yes, but that's just a trick, Gellar does it for real!"
I agree 100%... in order to be able to sell yourself as the "real thing" you have to stick to that story your whole life. You have to be on the verge of almost believing yourself that what you do is real. With this attitude I think you could convince almost anyone!
Errmm, actually, I think you need to be consistant with your performing persona, regardless of what it is.

That's all Marc's doing.

Work out who you are and how you do what ever it is you do and stick to it.

If you do that one thing, your performance will improve 100%, overnight.

Doug
Yes! That's what I'm saying!

And it's particularly true of mentalism where belief plays such a large part!

Here's an update, I tried it out on someone else who knew I was a magician and I made a big deal about how, because I could cheat and use slieght of hands for this experiment I would set up test conditions.