(Close Window)
Topic: The Force Awakens
Anybody excited?

I just bought a couple tickets for next Thursday for my daughter and I.

Yes!
Am I the only star was fan who is mad about this?
Why mad?
I am just done with all the hype. It actually has made me not care.

It is starting to remind me of the merchandising scene from Spacrballs.
[quote]On Dec 10, 2015, imgic wrote:
Why mad? [/quote]
Star Wars ended beautifully. It doesn't need another movie, let alone a spin-off.
I haven't been paying any attention to the hype...I'll probably wait until it comes out on cable to see it...
[quote]On Dec 10, 2015, Theodore Lawton wrote:
Anybody excited?

Yes! [/quote]

Last time I got excited, it turned out to be "The Phantom Menace."
[quote]On Dec 10, 2015, ZachDavenport wrote:
Why mad? [/quote]
Star Wars ended beautifully. It doesn't need another movie, let alone a spin-off. [/quote]
Episodes 1-3 were beautiful? Blech.

I'm just excited because Lucas isn't directing. We haven't had a treat like that since Empire Strikes Back.

I'm looking forward to it, though might not be able to swing opening weekend. From all the trailers I've seen, it looks like it'll be pretty cool.
I said ended beautifully. I am speaking in order of events. And not to start a war or anything, but I actually like the prequels.
I will only say of the first 3 that it is quite difficult to go back and tell av story in that fashion. Was not a fan but it was a monumental task. There was no way to make everyone happy. I was bored and annoyed not necessarily in that order. I guess eventually they grew on me but I think had the story started with them it never would have gone to 6 much less 9 movies.

Hsving the Disney viewpoint will be interesting. Though thoroughly annoyed with the hype we will see what happens.

Also I thought that the first 3 ending was beautiful as well. Couldn't wait to end them.
[quote]On Dec 10, 2015, Theodore Lawton wrote:
Anybody excited?

Yes! [/quote]

Me! :wavey:
Would you believe I saw the first one, hated it, didn't see any of the others, and have no interest in seeing the new one?

Nevertheless, I hope you folks who like the series have a wonderful experience ...
I believe it.
[quote]On Dec 11, 2015, arthur stead wrote:
Would you believe I saw the first one, hated it, didn't see any of the others, and have no interest in seeing the new one?

Nevertheless, I hope you folks who like the series have a wonderful experience ... [/quote]
By first one do you mean The Phantom Menace or A New Hope?
Sorry but most think of "A New Hope" as the first one.
[quote]
Star Wars ended beautifully. It doesn't need another movie, let alone a spin-off.
[/quote]

The original trilogy that Lucas wrote included nine episodes for Star Wars, so no ... what you saw in the cinema was never meant to be the "ending" of Star Wars.

When Lucas went to film these, he knew the first three were not as exciting as the next three ... therefore he skipped them and jumped straight into episode four where the action started - people that complain about the first three movies not being as good are obviously exposing themselves as "fake" star wars fan. A true fan knew going to the theater that these episodes were the more boring set-up parts for the original trilogy and would have never expected them to be as good (yet alone better).

The last three episodes were leased to Dark Horse Comics which were published in six comic books ... it has been stated that the Disney movies will not follow Lucas' original script. The comics were set immediately after the destruction of the Death Star while the Disney movies will be set thirty years after that event, but I suspect from the trailers that some of the same story line is still in place.

-JoeJoe
[quote]On Dec 11, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
Sorry but most think of "A New Hope" as the first one. [/quote]
I know, that's why I was asking.
[quote]On Dec 11, 2015, JoeJoe wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

The original trilogy that Lucas wrote included nine episodes for Star Wars, so no ... what you saw in the cinema was never meant to be the "ending" of Star Wars.

When Lucas went to film these, he knew the first three were not as exciting as the next three ... therefore he skipped them and jumped straight into episode four where the action started - people that complain about the first three movies not being as good are obviously exposing themselves as "fake" star wars fan. A true fan knew going to the theater that these episodes were the more boring set-up parts for the original trilogy and would have never expected them to be as good (yet alone better).

The last three episodes were leased to Dark Horse Comics which were published in six comic books ... it has been stated that the Disney movies will not follow Lucas' original script. The comics were set immediately after the destruction of the Death Star while the Disney movies will be set thirty years after that event, but I suspect from the trailers that some of the same story line is still in place.

-JoeJoe [/quote]
Whether or not it was the intention is irrelevant. It ended well. The chosen one brought balance to the force as the prophesy stated, and he gave his life to do so. That would be cheapened if it didn't work. And I already said that I like the prequels.
Yea JoeJoe is the ultimate decider of who is s true Star Wars fan LOL.

Bad news. The movies were at least expected to be good and make some sense. But I guess a true Star Wars fan such as yourself wouldn't care if they were any good.
Not liking Jar-Jar Binks or rolling my eyes about mitocholorian makes me a fake fan?
Apparently me to.

-JoeJoe

[/quote]

Actually the plan was for twelve. The last three being unfilmable (even in Lucas' opinion) as they were akin in style and story to the last 20 minutes of 2001.

But even Lucas got off book. The original intent was to have C-3PO and R2-D2 be the thread that held the movies together. They were the story tellers and the movie was seen through their eyes. You can see part of this in Return of the Jedi when C-3PO relates their adventures, complete with sound effects, to the rapt Ewoks.

However having Annakin be the creator of C-3PO and having built him on Tatooine means that somewhere along the line his memory is wiped as when he returns to his home world in The New hope he has no memory of the place nor of Obi-Wan.

I think Georges mind wandered a bit in the decade between the two sets of films.
[quote]On Dec 11, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
Sorry but most think of "A New Hope" as the first one. [/quote]
I do. And now that my son is watching the movies, it gets really confusing when we both talk about "the first movie" or "the fourth movie." I've started referring to them by episode number, just so we know exactly which one we're talking about.
The force is strong with this thread.

I think JJ Abrams will make a great film; hopefully better than George in regards to the prequels.

I didn't care much for the prequels, but they kinda grow on you.

At first I hated the Anakin character, but it makes sense that a whiny kid would grow up to be Darth Vader.

I can see how the droids were supposed to be the thread linking the stories together, kind of like the robot novels by Asimov. Pretty cool.

I can't wait for next Thursday!

May the force be with you! :lol:
[quote]On Dec 11, 2015, Payne wrote:

-JoeJoe

[/quote]

Actually the plan was for twelve. The last three being unfilmable (even in Lucas' opinion) as they were akin in style and story to the last 20 minutes of 2001.

But even Lucas got off book. The original intent was to have C-3PO and R2-D2 be the thread that held the movies together. They were the story tellers and the movie was seen through their eyes. You can see part of this in Return of the Jedi when C-3PO relates their adventures, complete with sound effects, to the rapt Ewoks.

However having Annakin be the creator of C-3PO and having built him on Tatooine means that somewhere along the line his memory is wiped as when he returns to his home world in The New hope he has no memory of the place nor of Obi-Wan.

I think Georges mind wandered a bit in the decade between the two sets of films. [/quote]
Amazing how such a huge non fake fan as JoeJoe would miss such obvious points.
Well, I am excited for the movie.

If the rest of you are not watching it, that's fine.

I really hope Kylo Ren is not Luke in disguise after turning Sith. Regardless of who wore the costume on set. Vader was voiced by James Earl Jones but played by another Actor. So was Maul.

Kylo Ren could be Luke's Sith Apprentice though...

Hmmm....
Yes David Prowse did a wonderful job as Darth Vader.
[quote]
On Dec 11, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
[/quote]

As did Bob Anderson who did much of the light saber duels in The Empire Strikes Back and Sebastian Shaw who played the unmasked Vader in the final scenes in Return of the Jedi.
[quote]On Dec 11, 2015, Payne wrote:

-JoeJoe

[/quote]

I think Georges mind wandered a bit in the decade between the two sets of films. [/quote]

I agree that the two robots (I hate the term 'droids) were supposed to be the running thread throughout the films. But whether they've had their memories wiped or not, we are still following them throughout the six films.

If the seventh film was supposed to have taken place immediately after the destruction of the second Death Star, then at this point it would be impossible to film it as decades of real time have gone by since that film was made. All of the actors are much older now and they could never pull off that premise without recasting the characters.

As far as Disney dropping the "expanded universe" of "Star Wars," I feel it got too big and crazy to actually be entered into canon. There's also the fact that the expanded universe itself played fast and loose with what the films portrayed as canon as far as the powers and abilities of the Jedi were and it would be well neigh impossible to incorporate that information into the film world.

As far as the storyline being complete. I agree to a degree, but in an epic setting like this, there's always room for more stories and people want to see them. To a degree, it would be like saying; "Goldfinger was the best Bond film, they shouldn't have made any more."
May the force be with you.

I guess I will have to take my grandson to see it. You know what these kids are like. :pirate:
[quote]On Dec 12, 2015, Payne wrote:
[quote]
On Dec 11, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
[/quote]

As did Bob Anderson who did much of the light saber duels in The Empire Strikes Back and Sebastian Shaw who played the unmasked Vader in the final scenes in Return of the Jedi. [/quote]

I did enjoy the dueling in Empire. I thought it was pretty seamless as far as mannerisms and such.
[quote]On Dec 10, 2015, ZachDavenport wrote:
Why mad? [/quote]
Star Wars ended beautifully. It doesn't need another movie, let alone a spin-off. [/quote]

Yes, but the beautiful thing about the new movies is that they are an OPTION for folks like you. If the original ending is how you believe the stories should end... then that's awesome... you don't need to (and probably shouldn't) see the new Disney films. So... the beautiful ending you are referring to should NOT be diminished at all! You simply ignore the new Disney films.

I'm a fan of the original ending too, and am still undecided about seeing the Disney films. If the reviews are good, I might give the new film a whirl.

So you see... there is no reason to be mad. It's simply a matter of CHOICE in deciding whether or not to see the new films.

David
After seeing what Disney is doing "On the ground" in their theme parks, I'm pretty sure they will put as much money as is needed to make these new movies AWESOME! They have two movie theatre exhibits inside Hollywood Studios that hype the new movie and try to do a major set up for those who have issues with their line of thinking. Most of the folks working on these new films were just kids when the first Star Wars movie came out. For many of them this is their "dream come true". It appears they are extremely dedicated to the project.
I'll watch them on streaming or DVD.
I will fall asleep.
PSA: The movie's premiere in Los Angeles is Monday, December 14. That means there will be spoilers flooding the internet by Wednesday and if you haven't seen it by next weekend, you really will be unable to be anywhere online without risk of spoilers. Disney went so far as to withhold marketing of some children's coloring books until January. (That last point is very true, by the way.)
My concern is not that the movie will look cheap or be as boring as I II and III. My concern is that they are simply going to retread IV. A female in the role of plucky hero (Luke) a black ex-stormtrooper (or guy hiding out as a stormtrooper, it's not too clear) as the charming rogue (Han) and Luke himself in the Obi Wan role.
Shame on you all for supporting this racist franchise.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/dec/14/melissa-harris-perry-star-wars-racist-because-dart/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS
I thought we would hear an outcry when the first stormtrooper to take off his helmet on the Monday Night Football trailer, to use similar terms as Harris Perry, was a "black guy".
Initial tweets from last night's premier indicate it's going to be good. Which, considering the buzz that JJ Abrahms is terrified because it needs to make $1.5 billion dollars, is probably fortunate.
[quote]On Dec 14, 2015, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Shame on you all for supporting this racist franchise.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/dec/14/melissa-harris-perry-star-wars-racist-because-dart/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS [/quote]

I'm sorry, that's just plain stupid and they took her to task very well.

Frankly, in the last movie (III) I would have liked to see James Earl Jones as the programmer helping Anakin work the vocal device.
My friends have it already!!!!!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208194214201774&set=a.1290822119359.43435.1494435717&type=3&theater
I have seen it yesterday, and I will go and see it again tonight!! It is good, very good!!!! you will sit in the movie and recognize a lot of the things!! the feeling is the same and totally different to the Episodes I-III, and that is a good thing!! Try to go in without any spoilers!! I remember exactly the feeling I had when I left the cinema after "Empire strikes back", a feeling that the new Generation finding out about Star Wars, will never ever have! At that time, all those twist were a real surprise, not like today, when we have seen almost everything. I remember the feeling I had sitting in "The Phantom Menace" - a new Star Wars Movie after 16 Years, even though the movie was not good and not what I expected, I will never forget the feeling I had when it came up " a long time ago....". Exactly this feeling I had again yesterday, it took another 10 years to have another Star Wars Movie and this time - it's great. Another feeling that the new ones will not have, with Disney in the lead, there will be a new Star Wars Movie, at least every 2 Years, for the next 10 Years :-)

Anyway, this is the Star Wars Movie I was hoping for, it has some things in it, that I wanted to explore more, or spend some time more, see more of the emotions they are going through...but hey...it's the start of a trilogy!!

Again, go in there as spoiler free as possible and you will enjoy it!!
Do not read the boingboing.com review. Spoilers galore.

Kylo Ren- a girl? Geeze.

;) :P
It is GOOD!

And Spoiler Alert!!!!!

Farewell. Thank you.
It's good! Agreed :)

I'm seeing it again Sunday.