(Close Window)
Topic: Han Ping Chein
Anyone use this effect or Chein Ping Han? If so, what effects do you do and whose are they? I already do a couple Sankey and Rubinstein routines. Any help would be appreciated.
Brian
Check out Geoff Latta's CopSilBrass routine
in Kaufman's CoinMagic book.

Frank
Coinmagic has alot of routines in it that use it. Also check Ammar's Book, his "Incredible Coins Across" uses it also. In addition I also use it in a coins across routine that I perform.

-Bill
Roth is a master of this move. I am impressed every time I see him use it.
It's not really a move to build an entire routine off of but you can do it. I did a simple 4 coins across using just the hpc in spec's hands. I agree that the best routine that uses it for me at this current time is Ammar's Incredible Coins Across routine in his book the Magic of Michael Ammar.
Harry Lorayne does the best one ever! Check out his Stars Of Magic video for it.
I use HPC a lot when I do slot box routines. It's just a pretty move, and flows very well. Other than that, I suggest studying Sankey's Rev. Coin Magic. He really takes a close look at several variations and applications of HPC, and his own little brainchild, CPH. And of course, Roth is the king when it comes to this move, however he goes into more detail in his book ECMME, than I remember him doing the video series. I may be wrong about that, or he may go into the move more in his UCM series. I haven't seen those yet.
Nice move if your body language has such gross motions. It does work very well to get coins into spectator hands as in Presto's coins across thing.
I never thought of my body movements as gross, but you never know. I always liked to think of them as abrupt and inappropriate, but never gross. ;)
I think it works if you are more "poetry in motion".

sort of like ballet. A little finesse is needed!
Try to see film/video of Slydini ('nuf said) :kermit:
I'm a fairly big guy, so if I started moving like a ballet, everyone would avoid eye contact with me, and slowly move away :)

Seriously, my "game face" is sort of abrupt and borders on, but never truely crosses into inappropriate. So the HPC move, for me anyway, is very natural.

And Pete, I'd love to see Tony Slydidni on video, any suggestions on where to locate the material?
Study the works of Slydini...or learn Vernon's method in "The Dai Vernon Book of Magic" if you are serious about the HPC

Later,
Mike
Or watch that Madonna Video: 'Vogue'

Goes great with the way folks are using the JWGrip too.
I'm vaguely familiar with Madonna's video tributes to magic, but I don't think they have much to do with dropping things OUT of the hands.

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. I'll go on a Slydini safari, and I won't come back until I've bagged a video.
Paul Harris uses the move in "PDQ Coins Across," using the spectator's hands as we mortals use a tabletop.
The Paul Harris routine mentioned above is great.
Bob Kohler has a good Copper/Silver/Brass routine using the Han Ping Chein, he is releasing a coin video some time, and this is on it (apparantly). he also has a great 4 coin routine where one by one each coin leaves the hand and arrives under a card. I don't know if this is going to be on the video but if you have a video that plays PAL type videos you can get a copy of his lecture in which he teaches both routines mentioned above,as well as loads of other great stuff. you can get it from http://www.internationalmagic.com
Owen
[quote]
On 2004-03-01 19:57, mike gallo wrote:
Study the works of Slydini...or learn Vernon's method in "The Dai Vernon Book of Magic" if you are serious about the HPC
[/quote]
Or study Mike's Dad's Gallo Pitch and Geoff Latta's Ultimate HPC. Both significant improvements.
I really like the Gallo Pitch and prefer to use it over a HPC when the timing of a routine allows.
Charlie Miller had a great handling doing the necessary in mid-air.
Or study Mike's Dad's Gallo Pitch and Geoff Latta's Ultimate HPC. Both significant improvements.

I really wish that "Dad" Gallo would stop refering to me as a "Son of a Pitch"!

Mike
In the early 80's I took advantage of a group lesson with Mr. Slydini.

It was well worth it.

In walk around I also like the mid air version, with a spectator's hands as the table, or with just a little hutzpah and my own hands.

I really have to put this into a lot of rehearsals prior to putting this into play in the "real world gigs".

Harris Deutsch
Laughologist
"I really wish that "Dad" Gallo would stop refering to me as a "Son of a Pitch"!"

It must really bug you when people use the rhyming version of that move's name! Though I never call it that myself ;)

Sorry Mike, I'm in a "wha wha whaaaaaa", mood tonight.
It must really bug you when people use the rhyming version of that move's name! Though I never call it that myself

Uh, the rhyming version is "Mom's" pet name for me. ;(

Mike
I'll invent a move of my own, and then you can make up a rhyming name for it. I've been playing with a ditch that involves losing the coin in the pants pocket, by only tucking the thumbs of each hand into said pockets, instead of plunging the entire hand inside. I'm thinking about calling it the "Wild Thumb Tuck". :)

On a more serious note, the Slydini book set that I just got has a section on HPC, in the advanced moves chapter. I'm thinking about cutting out of work early today to enjoy some quality reading time.
The han ping chein move is a lot easier than the gallo pitch in my opinion and the best description is descibed in the dai vernon book of magic.I think it is a very underused sleight actually.andy
The 'best use'... wow. strong statement there.
[quote]
On 2004-03-06 10:53, himber ring wrote:
The han ping chein move is a lot easier than the gallo pitch in my opinion and the best description is descibed in the dai vernon book of magic.I think it is a very underused sleight actually.andy
[/quote]

I agree. The Gallo Pitch requires a good deal more coordination and rhythm than a simple HPC move does. Of course, there are some applications of HPC that are not simple, but in general, the Gallo Pitch is a more difficult sleight to aquire than HPC, in my opinion.
I agree. The Gallo Pitch requires a good deal more coordination and rhythm than a simple HPC move does. Of course, there are some applications of HPC that are not simple, but in general, the Gallo Pitch is a more difficult sleight to aquire than HPC, in my opinion.

The GP is really that much more difficult than the HPC. The proof is that I can do it ;)! Seriously though, it is merely timing and attitude. In addition, the GP is more versatile then the HPC. If you don't have it already...get "Lou Gallo, The Underground Man" for some really great applications for the GP! And the old man (my dad Lou...not Vernon) only really gave a teaser as to what can be done with the Pitch!

Mike
Can you do Geoff's coin into coin box using the pitch?

Also seen some folks use the HPC under cover of a wand to effect some nice vanishes. Can that be done with the pitch?

How well does the 'into a spec hands' thing work with the pitch?
Can you do Geoff's coin into coin box using the pitch?
Yes

Also seen some folks use the HPC under cover of a wand to effect some nice vanishes. Can that be done with the pitch?
Yes
How well does the 'into a spec hands' thing work with the pitch?

Yes...extremely well...and you can be far from the hand (not above like the hpc)

Mike
Jon the Pitch works beautifully into the hands as Mike points out. I have used it in my version of coins across for about 6 years now. I also use it during a phase of a coins to glass routine, it is VERY deceptive (as long as you get all the coins into the glass...it is very sad when two coins go in and one hits the side). The reason I prefer it to the HPC is the amount of space you can get between the pitching hand and where the coin is actually coming from as well as the distance from the recieving hands of the spectator. It is a much more casual way of showing the coins IMO. I do still use the HPC in a few routines where I am emphathetically showing where the coins are. It helps justify the actions to do it as if I feel the audience doesn't believe me and I am becoming a bit frustrated.

twistedace your statement is interesting about not building a routine around it. As others have suggested look at the works of Slydini and re-examine your position.
The moves don't have to be different the moments do.
Cheers,
Jason