(Close Window)
Topic: Prayers and good thoughts, if you please
On Tuesday, December 15, at 5:30 in the morning I check into the hospital.

At 7:30 that morning, the surgical team will begin to give me a brand spankin' new, Six-Million-Dollar Man left knee. (Though I learned last Thursday that I get to keep my OEM kneecap. Cool.)

A heck of a birthday present, eh?

I'd appreciate your thoughts and prayers.

And if I'm not back online before the 25th, a Merry Christmas to all of you.
All the best!
Happy birthday, Bill.

Be well.
Message: Posted by: Daryl -the other brother (Dec 14, 2015 01:37AM)
Wishing you all the best Bill. Take care and get well soon.
Bill,
Here's to an uneventful surgery, a speedy recovery, and a very happy birthday!!!
~michael
So you won't have trick knee anymore?

Wishing you a speedy and magical recovery.

-Mary Mowder
Get well soon Bill.

One question though - will you be able to tap dance after you get your new knee?
Best wishes to you, Bill!!

I was able to find this video of your surgical team...

[youtube]/zIV4poUZAQo[/youtube]

Ron
Get well soon Bill.

We kneed you here.

Tom
Heck of a birthday!. Here's to decades of riding, running and fun on your new knee. Take care and heal quickly, Bill.
Good luck Bill, happy birthday and may your god or your gods be with you.
Prayers for rapid healing
Take care and, uh, break a leg?
[quote]On Dec 14, 2015, balducci wrote:
Take care and, uh, break a leg?[/quote]
I just hope that they get the measurements correct, otherwise I'll spend the rest of my life walking in circles.
Good luck. I had a partial knee replacement 2 months ago. Still dealing with some pain but so much better than it was.
What, exactly, is a [i]partial[/i] knee replacement?
Best wishes for a good birthday, a problem free operation, and a rapid recovery.
[quote]On Dec 14, 2015, Michael Baker wrote:
Bill,
Here's to an uneventful surgery, a speedy recovery, and a very happy birthday!!!
~michael [/quote]

What Michael said! Just figure your new knee as your Birthday present...not bad, eh? You'll get thru it and be better for it, so it's all good. Endure.
Prayers your way Bill for a happy birthday, Merry Christmas and a speedy recovery from surgery and rehab. I love that they're letting you keep the OEM kneecap. Wish I'd have thought about that when they replaced the ball of my femur!
Please let us know if you "kneed" anything, you sure "kneeded" a break anyways!

[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/lowres.cartoonstock.com/entertainment-trick_knee-injured-bum_knee-knee-patella-gcun47_low.jpg[/img]

On a serious note, we shall pray for your complete recovery~
"partial knee replacement?"

They only replace the top part of the knee. It is still your ligaments, so it feels more like your own knee (although, there is definitely a sense of having a foreign thing in your body) . The advantage of the partial knee is the recover is much faster. I had full range of motion within a few days of the operation and two months in, I just walked all over the streets of Manhattan today with no pain. There is still some pain when my knee is bent for long periods, such as when I'm working at my desk, but so much better than before the operation.

Your doctor can tell you if you are eligible.
Happy Birthday and heal quickly!

:cake:
I had a partial knee replacement three years ago!!!!! You'll love it.... Left knee too.... I'll pray for you .. I'm actually one of the guys here that believes in answered prayer.
Bill got out of surgery after a couple of hours and was in his room and coherent by noon. It went well.
And I'm back home!

Thanks for all of the prayers and good wishes.

Now comes the tough part: recovery.
Do your PT. Glad it went well
[quote]On Dec 16, 2015, S2000magician wrote:
And I'm back home!

Now comes the tough part: recovery. [/quote]

The secret is you have to learn to love the leg extension machine.
[quote]On Dec 16, 2015, NYCTwister wrote:

The secret is you have to learn to love the leg extension machine. [/quote]

Good luck with that one!
And I'm back home!

Now comes the tough part: recovery.[/quote]
The secret is you have to learn to love the leg extension machine.[/quote]
I had a CPM (continuous, passive motion) machine for all three ACL replacements, but this surgeon doesn't want me using one for my knee replacement.
Rest. Reading. Single malt.

It's all you really need.
And I'm back home!

I had a CPM (continuous, passive motion) machine for all three ACL replacements, but this surgeon doesn't want me using one for my knee replacement. [/quote]
It's a 50/50 call for the machine. I wish I hadn't used it. My Dr. has since quit using that machine. My daughter had to give me daily shots in my stomach. I highly recommend doing this as a blood clot prevention. It worked well. Some friends who chose not to do this had a difficult time.
[quote]On Dec 16, 2015, Slim King wrote:
And I'm back home!

I had a CPM (continuous, passive motion) machine for all three ACL replacements, but this surgeon doesn't want me using one for my knee replacement.[/quote]
It's a 50/50 call for the machine. I wish I hadn't used it. My Dr. has since quit using that machine. My daughter had to give me daily shots in my stomach. I highly recommend doing this as a blood clot prevention. It worked well. Some friends who chose not to do this had a difficult time.[/quote]
The DVT (deep vein thrombosis) machine we got (i.e., rented) wasn't working properly, so my wife phoned the surgeon's office and he suggested just switching to a strong anticoagulant.

Just thinking about the stomach shots is painful.

My dear, sweet wife got me some kung pao chicken (extra hot: lots of whole chilies) and hot and sour soup for dinner, and she'd already gotten a couple of bed breakfast trays so that I can sit up and eat, and sit up and work on my computer. What a blessing she is!
Let me just say that if Bill says spicy food is hot, stand back.

It probably set off the smoke alarm.
You get used the stomach shots . And I was able to stop them before the full course. Check with your doctor.
Wishing you the best in your recovery!

If you don't mind my asking, what will the surgery allow you to do (or, return to doing) that was problematic prior to the surgery? Perhaps you have addressed this in other topics.

My wife is considering left hip replacement surgery after Christmas.
They may ask you to give yourself the shots. I was happy my daughter was around to do it. But I would have done it myself. It's pretty important. It's also good to get moving as soon as the Dr. recommends .... It may take longer than you think to get back to a somewhat normal routine. Took me over 4 months before I was dancing again ;) Good luck!!!!
[quote]On Dec 17, 2015, Chessmann wrote:
Wishing you the best in your recovery![/quote]
Thanks, Chessman!

If you don't mind my asking, what will the surgery allow you to do (or, return to doing) that was problematic prior to the surgery? Perhaps you have addressed this in other topics.[/quote]
Primarily, running with my dog and running with my horse.

My wife is considering left hip replacement surgery after Christmas.[/quote]
It's a big step. If she has a good reason to want to get the replacement, then she should. But it's by no means a trivial commitment.
[quote]On Dec 17, 2015, Slim King wrote:
They may ask you to give yourself the shots. I was happy my daughter was around to do it. But I would have done it myself. It's pretty important. It's also good to get moving as soon as the Dr. recommends .... It may take longer than you think to get back to a somewhat normal routine. Took me over 4 months before I was dancing again ;) Good luck!!!![/quote]
What do the shots do, exactly?

Today I was working on flexion, and it's slow and painful (lots of swelling). Monday I start my physical therapy. Lots of work, to be sure.
The shots are some form of super blood thinner I think. To stop blood clotting. A friend of ours had the same surgery at the same time. She did not get the shots. She had complications. So I thought it was worth it ... Even if my daughter had the pleasure of sticking needles into her father. I did the machine several hours a day. I'm not sure that was necessary ... Who knows. I went on to continue improving my record for singing and dancing SOUL MAN about 14,000 time now.

This was right after the surgery.(4 or 5 months)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs4QsYg8mjU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO--A9EJng0
[quote]On Dec 19, 2015, Slim King wrote:
The shots are some form of super blood thinner I think. To stop blood clotting. A friend of ours had the same surgery at the same time. She did not get the shots. She had complications. So I thought it was worth it ... Even if my daughter had the pleasure of sticking needles into her father. I did the machine several hours a day. I'm not sure that was necessary ... Who knows. I went on to continue improving my record for singing and dancing SOUL MAN about 14,000 time now.

Before
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO--A9EJng0 [/quote]

It's best to get moving right away. Unfortunately my insurance said everything was paid for. When I got to the therapist it was another $1500.00... Just saying'...
[quote]On Dec 19, 2015, Slim King wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO--A9EJng0 [/quote]
These days there are a number of oral anticoagulant drugs on the market, for some of which there are television adverts:
[list][*]Apixaban, marketed as [b]Eliquis[/b]
[*]Rivaroxaban, marketed as [b]Xeralto[/b]
[*]Edoxaban, marketed as [b]Savaysa[/b], and [b]Lixiana[/b]
[*]Dabigatran, marketed as [b]Pradaxa[/b]
[*]others[/list]
The tech has advanced significantly since 2009.
Be thankful you are in the U.S. and not here.
I had a left knee replacement four years ago and been in agony ever since.
Many operations later failed to fix it, and I go in again on 22nd Dec, followed by heart treatment on the 23rd.
I'm still waiting on the 'immediate' blood transfusion I was told I must have after the original operation.
I'm also waiting on the physiotheraphy I was promised.
Merry Christmas !

Bobby.
Wow, Bobby!

You'll be in our prayers.
Thank you so much.
Guess I get a bit grumpy now and again, probably because I never get a single minute without pain day or night.
Maybe it's an age thingy ! Lol !

Bobby.
Bobby

I'm sorry about the pain you have post surgery. There are some things that I did to help with recovery. Number one is losing weight. I've read that best success happens if you weigh less than 200 pounds. I actually lost 50 pound in the 6 months before surgery which brought me from 220 to 170. Exercise and yoga have also helped. I still have slight pain on occasion 2 months after surgery, but it is only when coming up and down stairs and keeping my knee bent for long periods such as sitting at my desk. But losing weight helped a lot with the pain, even before the surgery.
Thanks, but I'm afraid that it's not that easy for me as I have Marfan's syndrome and riddled with athritis etc. But what more can I expect as I'm nearly 66. Add another 6 to that and I could make a living doing seances ! Lol !

Well, into theatre 8a.m. tomorrow for my Christmas holiday, so take care all, have a great time !

Bobby.
Fare thee well Bobby.
I'll take a drop for you.
Are you standing yet?
[quote]On Dec 22, 2015, Slim King wrote:
Are you standing yet?[/quote]
I've been walking since the day of surgery: the physical therapist at the hospital had me stroll down the hall with a walker that afternoon.

I've been going up and down stairs, getting in and out of the shower (over the edge of the bathtub), walking out to get the mail, give the dogs fresh water, throw out trash (the cans are on an elevated pad in the back yard), and so on.

I started outpatient physical therapy yesterday, and will go back tomorrow. I have a number of exercises to do at home to increase my range of motion and reduce the swelling (which is the greatest barrier to range of motion).

On Sunday I had about a half dozen paroxysms - brief, sharp, stabbing pains - just below my kneecap to the inside. I phoned the surgeon and he said that that's the whatchamacallit nerve settling in (one of the whacking big nerves through which he had to cut to flay my knee), and that that'll subside after a while. I sure hope so, as they hurt like blazes.
It is a process. There was a rough transition when I came off the "good" pain killers and had to rely on over the counter pain killers. Pillow between the knees helped me at night. There will be a couple of bad days when you'll be really sick of still hurting, but one day, it does get better. Heading into my 3rd month. Still some pain moments, but totally manageable without pain killers and only when stressing the knee.

Good luck in your recovery.
[quote]On Dec 22, 2015, Overworked wrote:
It is a process. There was a rough transition when I came off the "good" pain killers and had to rely on over the counter pain killers. Pillow between the knees helped me at night. There will be a couple of bad days when you'll be really sick of still hurting, but one day, it does get better. Heading into my 3rd month. Still some pain moments, but totally manageable without pain killers and only when stressing the knee.

Good luck in your recovery.[/quote]
Thanks.

I was impressed with the spinal block that the anaesthesiologist gave me. It lasted roughly 19 hours, and I didn't have a headache or nausea when it subsided. One Norco (Vicodin, hydrocodone + acetaminophen) when it wore off and I was good to go.

Having had three ACL replacements, I have a good idea of what's in store for me in rehab. This'll likely be more difficult and will likely take longer, but the generalities (exercises, pains, what-have-you) will be similar enough.
I've had two miniscus tear operations, one on each knee. This is tougher than that. Not sure how it compares to ACL replacements.
My wife has a replacement knee; it's one of the more painful replacements.
Continue to be diligent with therapy, and don't skimp on ice packs.
[quote]On Dec 22, 2015, S2000magician wrote:

I was impressed with the spinal block that the anaesthesiologist gave me. It lasted roughly 19 hours, and I didn't have a headache or nausea when it subsided. One Norco (Vicodin, hydrocodone + acetaminophen) when it wore off and I was good to go. [/quote]

I'd take a spinal block over general anesthesia anytime. I've had three blocks, one in 1969, one in 2005 and one in 2010. The 1969 procedure was fraught with problems (severe headaches unless lying completely flat on back for almost 24 hours; headaches like I've never experienced again) But the other two were problem free. Medical technology today is so superior to what it was decades ago.

Good luck with PT, you seem like a determined chap, so you'll do well.

Now, as for the OEM kneecap, do you have it? Are you mounting it or what? Morbid curiosity is killing me! :-)
[quote]On Dec 23, 2015, Bob1Dog wrote:
Now, as for the OEM kneecap, do you have it? Are you mounting it or what? Morbid curiosity is killing me! :-) [/quote]
For the moment, I'm keeping it under a few layers of skin, scar tissue and Dermabond (essentially superglue: cyanoacrylate), attached to my patellar tendon.
[quote]On Dec 23, 2015, Steve_Mollett wrote:
My wife has a replacement knee; it's one of the more painful replacements.[/quote]
I hope that she's recovering/recovered nicely. How long ago did she have it replaced?

An acquaintance of my wife's recently had hers replaced after 10 years; ten years ago, that was the expected life, and she's put it through its paces. These days they're offering about 20 years or so.

Continue to be diligent with therapy . . .[/quote]
Today I had my second session. I'm using the same therapist who helped be rehab my last ACL; he's excellent, and has done rehab on hundreds of knee replacements. The improvement in my range of motion and stamina were quite obvious after only two days.

. . . and don't skimp on ice packs.[/quote]
We picked up a [url=http://www.dynatronics.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/BI1/Default.aspx]Bodyice[/url] cold pack from the therapist today; they're wonderful!

Believe me: no skimping here.
She had it replaced little over a year ago, a few months after having her hip replacement replaced.
[quote]On Dec 23, 2015, Bob1Dog wrote:
[quote]On Dec 22, 2015, S2000magician wrote:

I was impressed with the spinal block that the anaesthesiologist gave me. It lasted roughly 19 hours, and I didn't have a headache or nausea when it subsided. One Norco (Vicodin, hydrocodone + acetaminophen) when it wore off and I was good to go. [/quote]

I'd take a spinal block over general anesthesia anytime. I've had three blocks, one in 1969, one in 2005 and one in 2010. The 1969 procedure was fraught with problems (severe headaches unless lying completely flat on back for almost 24 hours; headaches like I've never experienced again) But the other two were problem free. Medical technology today is so superior to what it was decades ago.

Good luck with PT, you seem like a determined chap, so you'll do well.

Now, as for the OEM kneecap, do you have it? Are you mounting it or what? Morbid curiosity is killing me! :-) [/quote]
Oooops, I guess I completely misunderstood your OP! :-)
She had it replaced little over a year ago, a few months after having her hip replacement replaced.[/quote]
And . . . how's she doing?
[quote]On Dec 24, 2015, S2000magician wrote:
She had it replaced little over a year ago, a few months after having her hip replacement replaced.[/quote]
And . . . how's she doing? [/quote]

She still has to ice her knee occasionally, but she's doing quite well.
When I had my shoulder replaced and my ACL replaced the saving grace was the ice water. It was a cooler hooked to tubes that kept almost frozen water constantly on the desired part. No ice packs to change. It was amazing. Plus easy to situate.
I had my hip replaced a few years ago, best thing I ever did. You'll feel the same once you recover.

Having good mobility makes so much difference. I enjoy traveling and having the ability to walk for long periods of time makes it so much more enjoyable.

I understand it takes longer to recover from knee surgery along with the rehabilitation.

Best wishes to you.
Thanks, guys.

I was up until 11:00PM Christmas Eve grading final exams (the grades were supposed to have been submitted by 12/22), so Christmas day was a bit rough: I slept through most of it, and the rest was mostly on Norco.

Today's been much better, though my PT exercises are exhausting. Flexibility's improving, swelling's decreasing, and pain's significantly less.

Interestingly, since the surgery my internal thermostat's been wonky: freezing one moment, burning up the next. The nurse at the surgeon's office said that I might be anemic.

Since the day after surgery I've dropped 20 lbs. That's actually a good thing.
Keep on keeping on.
So how did your medication affect student performance?
[quote]On Dec 27, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
So how did your medication affect student performance?[/quote]
Thank you for that, John! I needed a good laugh this morning.

Because I turned in my grades late, the students haven't been able to access them online, so I've been getting quite a few e-mails asking when they'll be posted. I reply to each saying that I finished them Christmas Eve, and telling that student his/her score on the final exam and grade in the course.

Yesterday I told one student that he got 176/200 on the final exam, and an A in the course.

His reply was that that was the best Christmas present he'd ever received.

Anyway, One Norco wasn't quite enough this morning, so I just took a second. It plays hob with my appetite, which is doubly awful inasmuch as I'm married to a wonderful cook. I had ham on a muffin with stone ground mustard, cranberry sauce, and cranberry relish, and could barely finish it. (In truth, I probably shouldn't have.)

We're off to visit the horses in a while. I promised Marlana that I wouldn't ride more than 5 miles at a gallop.
[quote]On Dec 27, 2015, S2000magician wrote:

We're off to visit the horses in a while. I promised Marlana that I wouldn't ride more than 5 miles at a gallop. [/quote]

Ha!
[quote]On Dec 26, 2015, S2000magician wrote:
Thanks, guys.

I was up until 11:00PM Christmas Eve grading final exams (the grades were supposed to have been submitted by 12/22), so Christmas day was a bit rough: I slept through most of it, and the rest was mostly on Norco.

Today's been much better, though my PT exercises are exhausting. Flexibility's improving, swelling's decreasing, and pain's significantly less.

Interestingly, since the surgery my internal thermostat's been wonky: freezing one moment, burning up the next. The nurse at the surgeon's office said that I might be anemic.

Since the day after surgery I've dropped 20 lbs. That's actually a good thing. [/quote]
I lost at least 30 lbs. I couldn't figure out why really.
I was about 12 lbs. heavier when I left the hospital than when I arrived; I chalk that up to being pumped full of fluids before, during, and after surgery.

As for the other 8 lbs.: I suspect that healing such a sizable wound is a lot of work for one's body, and a lot of fat gets converted to energy to help do the trick.
[quote]On Dec 29, 2015, S2000magician wrote:
I was about 12 lbs. heavier when I left the hospital than when I arrived; I chalk that up to being pumped full of fluids before, during, and after surgery.

As for the other 8 lbs.: I suspect that healing such a sizable wound is a lot of work for one's body, and a lot of fat gets converted to energy to help do the trick. [/quote]

Yeah, yeah.

But can you tap dance AFTER the surgery?
[quote]On Dec 29, 2015, NYCTwister wrote:
[quote]On Dec 29, 2015, S2000magician wrote:

As for the other 8 lbs.: I suspect that healing such a sizable wound is a lot of work for one's body, and a lot of fat gets converted to energy to help do the trick.[/quote]
Yeah, yeah.

But can you tap dance AFTER the surgery?[/quote]
Twice as well as I could BEFORE surgery.

;)
Have you noticed any changes in your facial features? Rapid weight loss sometimes alters a persons appearance considerably.
It sounds as if the prayers are working! ;)
Not really.

My wife would likely be a better judge of that than I.
Yesterday I had my first follow-up with the surgeon.

His assessment is that I should be teaching classes on how to recover from knee surgery.

Today it's three weeks from surgery, and I'm pretty much weaned off the walker and crutches, and, according to the surgeon, free to do anything I want, letting my knee tell me when to back off.

Cool!
[quote]On Jan 5, 2016, S2000magician wrote:
Yesterday I had my first follow-up with the surgeon.

His assessment is that I should be teaching classes on how to recover from knee surgery.

Today it's three weeks from surgery, and I'm pretty much weaned off the walker and crutches, and, according to the surgeon, free to do anything I want, letting my knee tell me when to back off.

Cool! [/quote]

Very cool! :ohyes:
That's good to hear!!! Our prayers have been answered!
Amen!
Thanks for the follow up.

YEA!

-Mary
Just got back from my second follow-up today, 7 weeks, 2 days after surgery.

The surgeon says that I'm good to go: no more physical therapy required.

Apparently this is where he'd expect an average patient to be six months after surgery. I chose my genetics well.

Now, anything goes: horseback riding, running, bike riding, backpacking, whatever I want to try to do. (Maybe not Tae Kwon Do; at least, not yet.) His view: if it hurts or swells, stop it or cut back.

Cool!
Congrats Bill.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. :)
You're too kind.
Glad to hear it.

Go easy though. Over doing it can set you back.

-Mary Mowder
[quote]On Feb 5, 2016, Mary Mowder wrote:
Glad to hear it.

Go easy though. Over doing it can set you back.[/quote]
Absolutely.

I don't plan on running more than five miles, cycling more than 20 miles, nor riding my horse at a gallop more than 30 miles.

Moderation in all things.
LOL,

I've never run 5 miles in my life.

You sound like a crazy Spartan from my perspective. To each his own.

-Mary
You must be a physic: I used to work for a company called SPARTA, doing warhead design.

Today I went running with Geordie. Only half an hour, but uphill and downhill.

The knee feels great.
"We can make him better we have the technology."