(Close Window)
Topic: Star Wars Spoilers *Do Not Read*
If anyone wants me to spill the beans please let me know?

*Alert someone you grew fond of over the years dies in the film.
If you have read this far and don't want to know DO NOT COME BACK!

I started this thread for those of us folks that have seen the film
and wish to discuss it in greater detail.

[img]http://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/star-wars-wallpaper-12.jpg[/img]
I'm not a Star Wars fan, so it wouldn't bother me a bit to come back here to see what's said about it. :-)
[img]http://i.imgur.com/7xc3hat.jpg[/img]
What? There's a new Star Wars movie out???
That was awesome how Darth Maul was Kylo Ren's dad, and was walking around on droid spider legs!
It's gonna be strange going forward without that certain someone, but I really like the depth of the new characters. I think the new franchise is off to a great start with a good story and interesting people. Our favorite old characters are passing the torch to some great new ones; let's hope they don't screw it up!

Also- Lucas never could write a good love scene; I like the nerdy crush Finn gets for Rey almost immediately, much better and more fun love scenes. The dialog in this movie was fun to listen to; I laughed several times.

Some people may complain about similarities between this film and New Hope, but I think it was smart to play it this way. It was as if JJ Abrams was letting us know we were starting fresh after the disappointments of 1-3 and he really showed his love for what we expect Star Wars to be.

I also think Mark Hammill is a better actor than he used to be. I saw him do a role in The Flash and he was just great playing a creep. I can't wait to see how he handles an older Luke.
Anyone has an idea about who Is Supreme Leader Snoke?
Seen it twice now and going for a 3rd time!! It is so great!! Supreme Leader Snoke, some say he might be Darth Plaigues, would be cool if at the end of Episode 9 we would have a full circle :-) Have you guy's heard about the Role of James Bond (Daniel Craig) in the movie? I love it when they do things like this, how much fun must it be to come up with this stuff :-)
Would be cool , and what about Rey? Luke Skywalker’s Daughter?
That is the most obvious, but she could also be Han's and Leia's daughter. The movies are in it's core a story about a family :-) and I do not think that Ben is the only Solo / Skywalker, I am sure there are more Skywalkers around. I also wonder if there will be a backstory of Finn. By the way, when Rey had her vision, did you hear the voices of Obi Wan and Yoda? So much going on :-)
The writers, director, producers did a good job of capturing and transforming [b]many[/b] of the original elements--not merely wooden copying:

Mythic themes
Epic setting
Heartwarming tone
Family drama
Comedic bits of business
Endearing stock characters
Alien creatures
Structure of subplots and plot twists and plot holes (hopefully an artistic choice for the latter)
The physical special effects (vs all digital): more magical in the sense of our magic!
Fresh actors (vs. box office celebrities)
Motifs and tropes: the evil mask, the holographic commander, Nazi allusions, the refusal of the hero's call, and so on.

The powers of the force are greater, the evil weapons are bigger, the aliens more diverse--but the elemental core remains the same.
The choices of what details to keep from the originals were generally great, for example the title sequence and X-fighter firing screens.
The updates were logical and consistent, for example the new DD-8 droid and new Storm Trooper types.
The direct references and connections to the original should make die-hard fans happy.
Message: Posted by: Daryl -the other brother (Dec 22, 2015 04:50PM)
[quote]On Dec 22, 2015, Beltorak wrote:
That is the most obvious, but she could also be Han's and Leia's daughter. [/quote]
The force seems very strong in Rey. As obvious as it is, I go with Luke being the father. (this could be an episode off Jerry Springer)
Yes , her strong powers of the Force suggests that she might come from Jedi,
I guess we will have to wait for the next movie to be sure
Message: Posted by: Harry the magic man (Dec 26, 2015 06:48AM)
I would argue Rey is Luke's daughter over Han and Leia's mainly because they talk in depth about their son but never mention a daughter. Also, Kylo doesn't recognize her n the forest.
I want to chime in on this solo/Skywalker debate. To me; it makes more sense that she is a Solo and that maybe han and leia have seen thier son go bad so protect a younger child they sent her away. This situation could be why he talks to leia about how not everything was bad times. If she was sent away after Han left to go back to smuggling then naturally he might not recognize her. They also may have never told him where she was taken so connecting her to that event would never occur to him.
The other thing is that when she got off the Falcon after Han was killed leia comforted her without saying a word. As we know leia may not be a jedi but the force is strong with her.

Another prediction I have is the Ren will hate her with all he has because he wants to be as powerful as his grandfather. But he will be driven mad because his sister will be as powerful as Vader and he will hate her for it.

Also if you didn't notice; not only did Anikins saber turn up but when she found it the chest it was in was Ben Kinobis from episode 4, hmmmm now does that make think or what?
Finally got around to seeing the movie today. A perfect way to start the new year. Because no matter what calamity might come my way. It will be impossible to be as bad as this film is.

My expectations were low for this film. And yet, not a single one of them was met.

So I am finished with the Star Wars franchise.
[quote]On Jan 2, 2016, Payne wrote:
Finally got around to seeing the movie today. A perfect way to start the new year. Because no matter what calamity might come my way. It will be impossible to be as bad as this film is.

My expectations were low for this film. And yet, not a single one of them was met.

So I am finished with the Star Wars franchise. [/quote]

Did you enjoy the original, Payne?
I heard some were disappointed that the Star Wars expanded universe was not developed...
I think the certain someone who died should've died a long time ago, it would've completed his character more
The actor is cast in the next film but I'm guessing flashback
[quote]
On Jan 2, 2016, Alan Wheeler wrote:

Did you enjoy the original, Payne?

[/quote]

I saw the original movie nearly a hundred times in the theatre when it came out and over the ensuing years. So yes, I was a rather big fan of the first film.

[quote]

I heard some were disappointed that the Star Wars expanded universe was not developed...

[/quote]

Nor populated. It just didn't have that "lived in" feeling of the original film. Many scenes didn't feel as if they extended much beyond the edge of the screen.
I was terribly disappointed to find out the butler did it.
I just saw the cast list for Rogue One and I'm pretty jazzed
[quote]On Dec 22, 2015, Beltorak wrote:
That is the most obvious, but she could also be Han's and Leia's daughter. The movies are in it's core a story about a family :-) and I do not think that Ben is the only Solo / Skywalker, I am sure there are more Skywalkers around. I also wonder if there will be a backstory of Finn. By the way, when Rey had her vision, did you hear the voices of Obi Wan and Yoda? So much going on :-) [/quote]

Well, Han and Leia are aware of what happened to their son. There's no indication that they have another "missing" child. I'm going with Luke's unknown daughter.

And yes! I am happy to finally be able to join this thread now that I've finally seen this film!
[quote]On Jan 2, 2016, Payne wrote:

So I am finished with the Star Wars franchise. [/quote]

I don't know what your problem was Payne. I enjoyed it.
[quote]
On Jan 7, 2016, ed rhodes wrote:

[/quote]

So there’s this movie about an orphan on a desert planet who saves a droid from being salvaged.
Unfortunately this droid is being sought after by the Empire because of data it is carrying.
Our intrepid heroes are helped in their escape from Stormtroopers by Han and Chewbacca aboard the Millennium Falcon. This newly assembled group of protagonists eventually make their way to the Rebel base (making sure to stop off at an alien filled Cantina on the way so they can meet with a Yoda look-alike and retrieve a light sabre that, not only was lost on the gas planet Bespin, but is found in the exact same box Obi-Wan pulled it out of in his home on Tatooine). Once at the base plans to attack a planet killing weapon are hastily assembled and a squadron of small, one-man, fighters is launched against a “Death Star”

Any of this sounding familiar?

While all of this is going on we have to rescue the heroine from the Imperial Base, Replay the “Luke, I am your Father” scene from Empire, complete with scaffolding over an abyss. The only difference is the Father is chucked over the side instead of the son. But not to worry, I’m sure Han landed safely in a batch of Carbonite conveniently waiting at the bottom.

It was like watching a Fan Boy checklist

Desert Planet: Check

Ice Planet: Check

Jungle Planet: Check

Fly the Millennium Falcon through superstructure: Check (I’ll give them credit for restraining themselves and not
flying through the Asteroid Belt surrounding the D’Qar)

Masked Villain: Check

Masked Villain with family issues: Check

Masked Villain who turned to the dark side while being trained by a Jedi: check

Mysterious Holographic Emperor: Check

X-Wings Flying Down Trench: Check

And the list goes on and on. They even put a Porkin’s look-a-like in one of the Rebel ships

As for the Characters.

Kylo Ren is a Darth Vader fanboy with anger management issues who sealed his fate to be killed off the second he offed his Father. No chance for retribution here. He’s the walking dead.

Rey is a Mary-Sue who seemingly has mastered the force without training, or ever really hearing about it, so she has limited ability to grow as a character. She already almost single handedly beat Kylo and didn’t even manage to lose a hand in the deal.

Fin and Poe have possibilities. But also have the word Spin-Off written all over them

The Universe is ill defined. Why are there still resistance fighters if the Republic has been re-established. Is the First Order an off-shoot of the Republic’s forces, an example of a military industrial complex gone awry? Or are they remnants of the old Empire that have been reforming in hiding for the last 30 years? If so, they appear to be very well funded.

We live in a world where we can converse with our phones. But BB-8 still has to communicate with beeps and burps. Perhaps he should buy a phone.

But most importantly. Star Wars is a Saga. An ongoing story of epic proportions. This movie while introducing some new characters does so in a way that fails to move the story forward. It is akin to having a second battle of Moscow in War and Peace, but this time it’s orchestrated by a guy named Ronploinon.
I wasn't too thrilled with the film either after plunking down almost $60 for
the tickets and associated refreshments etc...

I completely agree with Master Payne. :dance:
[quote]On Jan 8, 2016, Devious wrote:
I wasn't too thrilled with the film either after plunking down almost $60 for
the tickets and associated refreshments etc...

I completely agree with Master Payne. :dance: [/quote]

$60 for tickets and refreshment ! I hope you drink some champagne .... but with champagne the movie should have been great ... ;)
Is it just me or did Kylo Ren look and act like a younger Severus Snape?

Regards, Steve
[quote]On Jan 8, 2016, Payne wrote:
[quote]
On Jan 7, 2016, ed rhodes wrote:

[/quote]

So there’s this movie about an orphan on a desert planet who saves a droid from being salvaged.
Unfortunately this droid is being sought after by the Empire because of data it is carrying.
Our intrepid heroes are helped in their escape from Stormtroopers by Han and Chewbacca aboard the Millennium Falcon. This newly assembled group of protagonists eventually make their way to the Rebel base (making sure to stop off at an alien filled Cantina on the way so they can meet with a Yoda look-alike and retrieve a light sabre that, not only was lost on the gas planet Bespin, but is found in the exact same box Obi-Wan pulled it out of in his home on Tatooine). Once at the base plans to attack a planet killing weapon are hastily assembled and a squadron of small, one-man, fighters is launched against a “Death Star”

Any of this sounding familiar?

While all of this is going on we have to rescue the heroine from the Imperial Base, Replay the “Luke, I am your Father” scene from Empire, complete with scaffolding over an abyss. The only difference is the Father is chucked over the side instead of the son. But not to worry, I’m sure Han landed safely in a batch of Carbonite conveniently waiting at the bottom.

It was like watching a Fan Boy checklist

Desert Planet: Check

Ice Planet: Check

Jungle Planet: Check

Fly the Millennium Falcon through superstructure: Check (I’ll give them credit for restraining themselves and not
flying through the Asteroid Belt surrounding the D’Qar)

Masked Villain: Check

Masked Villain with family issues: Check

Masked Villain who turned to the dark side while being trained by a Jedi: check

Mysterious Holographic Emperor: Check

X-Wings Flying Down Trench: Check

And the list goes on and on. They even put a Porkin’s look-a-like in one of the Rebel ships

As for the Characters.

Kylo Ren is a Darth Vader fanboy with anger management issues who sealed his fate to be killed off the second he offed his Father. No chance for retribution here. He’s the walking dead.

Rey is a Mary-Sue who seemingly has mastered the force without training, or ever really hearing about it, so she has limited ability to grow as a character. She already almost single handedly beat Kylo and didn’t even manage to lose a hand in the deal.

Fin and Poe have possibilities. But also have the word Spin-Off written all over them

The Universe is ill defined. Why are there still resistance fighters if the Republic has been re-established. Is the First Order an off-shoot of the Republic’s forces, an example of a military industrial complex gone awry? Or are they remnants of the old Empire that have been reforming in hiding for the last 30 years? If so, they appear to be very well funded.

We live in a world where we can converse with our phones. But BB-8 still has to communicate with beeps and burps. Perhaps he should buy a phone.

But most importantly. Star Wars is a Saga. An ongoing story of epic proportions. This movie while introducing some new characters does so in a way that fails to move the story forward. It is akin to having a second battle of Moscow in War and Peace, but this time it’s orchestrated by a guy named Ronploinon. [/quote]

I was honestly expecting it to be even CLOSER to the original film than it turned out to be. I sat there saying; "Yeah, here's this catch moment. Here's THAT catch moment." But I still managed to enjoy myself. (Although, actually, I found C-3P0's entrance to be actually annoying.) I'm sorry you didn't.
Yay, finally saw it with my daughters today; we've been watching the originals (4,5 and 6) last week so we could be ready.

I loved it.
The deathstar/planet thing was almost too much for me (really, it's always the bad guys building a big deathstar or deathstar-like thing?), but I thought the rest of it was more interesting so I let that all slide.
I saw a lot of the similarities mentioned above, but I still liked it a lot. Much more than 1,2 and 3.

I thought Rey was absolutely badass. I thought it was awesome that she could use the force without training and can't wait to see where she goes with it and what her history is. I did think the lightsaber fight was a bit easy for her (and Fin) considering they were facing a supposedly trained Sith (or almost trained), but I honestly teared up a little when she got the light saber from the snow to start the fight (yes, lifted from Empire Strikes back. ...don't care ...loved it!)
Oh, well it seems I came to the discussion too late.
In an effort to start it up again, Any thoughts on this?
https://www.facebook.com/sonofbaldwinfb/posts/10153427302617862
[quote]On Jan 12, 2016, seadog93 wrote:
Oh, well it seems I came to the discussion too late.
In an effort to start it up again, Any thoughts on this?
https://www.facebook.com/sonofbaldwinfb/posts/10153427302617862 [/quote]
I used to get all concerned about stuff like this, and how racist the whole Star Wars franchise seemed to be. Such as the Trade Federation from the prequels. Then my wife, who's Asian and has dealt with stereotypes all her life, just sort of shrugged and said, "Whatever. I don't see it as racist; I think some people just read too much into things because they're already hypersensitive to stuff like that. You shouldn't let other people's perceived stereotypes define what you really are."

That said, the author seemed to not like the movie because it didn't go far enough, despite it going farther than most of what we see in Hollywood these days, in terms of casting and racial equality. Remember- the first Star Wars movies (Ep 4-6) featured a diverse cast of alien species, yet only had two human women (one of whom was a minor character, the other of whom was stuck in a bikini and chained to a Hutt;) didn't have any Hispanics, and only had one black guy.
What if Rey ends up being related to Palpatine?
A friend of mine, who is an African-American woman, said her family was divided on it. She and her oldest son loved it, her husband and youngest son felt very much like the article.

[quote]On Jan 12, 2016, critter wrote:
What if Rey ends up being related to Palpatine? [/quote]

That would be awesome, I hope some that like that happens. :-)