(Close Window)
Topic: Klaus the mouse
Interesting: http://www.card-shark.de/index.cfm?page=79&lang=en&detail=true&Category=13&ArtID=301
Http://youtu.be/SUx3TD1_bn0

wouldnt be too bad if you didn't have to control the chosen card to 2 specific locations. :clown:
I find it interesting, although the method is not new. I prefer Tamariz' routine as being impromptu, but it seems very hard to master.
I got this trick some years ago with a little robot :) Looks a lot better with it in my opinion even if I never used it :D
For the right audience could be a lot of fun.
I have this and it is my most requested trick lol by adults and children alike! Really cute AND powerful.
[quote]On Dec 21, 2015, pegasus wrote:
Http://youtu.be/SUx3TD1_bn0

wouldnt be too bad if you didn't have to control the chosen card to 2 specific locations. :clown: [/quote]

Really, I don't believe it has anything to do with the location, I guess he wanted the mouse to stop toward the middle of his card spreads. I have met a lot of magicians who find it difficult to do a deck spread as well, so some practice on the basics of card handling is required for this trick. I never found cutting a deck of cards that difficult.

This looks to be a different method then the little Robot Louis Tannen's Magic use to sell in the 1980's. The toy Robots are not made anymore, but their are some alternatives toys that may work just fine. The Robot was my favorite, though.

Dick Koornwinder's Kar is my all time favorite toy finding card revelation and card discovery.

Then there is Don Alan Ranch Bird that is a lot of fun to do, with a surprise ending that always puzzles the spectator.
Just to confirm, you do not have to control the card at all.
However, aesthetically, you may prefer to arrange the position centrally.

I have this, and as BrainMagic said, all age groups really enjoy the prop.
We saw this at the Magic LIVE convention, and while we have seen many effects that have an object pass over a spread deck to find a selected card, this one seems to appeal to the widest variety of spectators. We were most surprised about the variety of performance ideas that are included. This is a great effect and Hocus Pocus is proud to carry this item.

It is available and in stock for immediate shipment from Hocus Pocus, order yours here:
http://www.hocus-pocus.com/prod/32266

[youtube]SUx3TD1_bn0[/youtube]
Shut up and take my money!
Picked one up at magi fest. Nice but probably $10 overpriced IMO.
I used to do a thing called Wonder Pet which got terrific reactions, WAY in excess of the skill level. So much that I almost felt guilty. People LOVED the little dog. But it was a piece of cr@p, quality wise and soon broke. This will, I hope, be a worthy replacement.
Wish I'd purchased this instead of Factory Blanks. My daughter's little posse would love it. Any chance Penguin carries it in the future? Prefer to buy from them with their free shipping.
It is very wise NOT to call your mouse Klaus! If there is a teenager among the spectators and he googles “Klaus mouse magic” on his smartphone, the site of the magic dealer who sells this trick is staring him in the face. (try it yourself)
The advice above applies to every trick that you bought. Never use the commercial name of the trick in your presentation.
It seems a few posters have this and like it. Any more reviews, any in depth reviews? Is the gimmick well made? Will it last for a long time? I'm very interested in this but it seems pricy enough I want to be sure of the quality and usability before I pull the trigger.
Gimmick is very well made,should last indefinitely with a little care. You can easily refresh the deck as well.
Thank you, appreciate the input.
I'm interested in this lovely piece but was wondering if it needs to be done on a table cloth or close up mat? If someone who has this could let me know that would help me to decide if this is right for me.

Thanks!

jeff
[quote]On Feb 13, 2016, MagicalEducator wrote:
I'm interested in this lovely piece but was wondering if it needs to be done on a table cloth or close up mat? If someone who has this could let me know that would help me to decide if this is right for me.[/quote]
You can do it everywhere on every surface as long as you can make a spread with the cards on it.
The mouse runs not on the surface but on the cards.
Thanks for your help...much appreciated!

jeff
My mouse no longer moves. It worked fine for the first five trials.
Have I overlooked a way of resetting the wind up mechanism?
I have found that the springs of the wind-up mechanism on these small toys are notorious for early failure. I have been doing a similar effect to Klaus for over 30 years with a small wind-up woodpecker (my homage to Don Alan’s Ranch Bird presentation.) I bought all of the little birds that I could at the time of my routine’s development. I still have about a dozen back-ups - that I do have to go to from time to time as I do the trick a lot. My Klaus is holding on - for now at least. (I would contact the dealer who sold you the trick as a failure this soon is premature, IMHO)
Can you use any deck?
Yes, you can use any deck.
Thanks
I'd like to buy this but I just have a feeling it won't be durable or last at all.
[quote]On Feb 15, 2016, Slackerking wrote:
I'd like to buy this but I just have a feeling it won't be durable or last at all. [/quote]
You are right.
The maximum is only 2 years.
http://animals.mom.me/mouses-lifespan-captivity-3962.html
And I have mine already more than 6 months...
Lol, just stumbled over this thread.

@rjs: If you have any problems with Klaus, please get in touch with me and explain what defect you have. I am happy to help.

I made all efforts and it took me about a year to get the mouse to this state that it has now. Even if it looks like just a tiny chinese toy, there is way more to do in the preparation than just buying and repacking it. It is one of our best selling effects and yes, it appeals to all ages and genders. A magician friend of mine is booked frequently for close up magic, and all she does now (as people are asking for it all the time) is Klaus the Mouse and the Tiny Plunger.

This effect is more or less self working, easy even for beginners. It is a regular deck of cards used and there is no card force envolved. The chosen card can be signed and handed out certainly.

Not sure if Penguin will get it in the near future, and as the mouse is a bit bulky in shipment, I wonder if Penguin would offer free shipping on that one.
Honest question about this. I still have my original Koornwinder Car and lately been doing the Eugene Burger variation. Is there a difference between this and the Koornwinder Car?
Yes, a completely different gimmick working here.
While thinking about it: I wonder if some treatment with Science Friction will allow to let the spectator shuffle the deck with the same result...
Will test it while performing it in Blackpool.
I finally ordered and received this yesterday. Overall I'm quite pleased. The mouse looks great and seems fairly well built considering it's a plastic toy. My daughter went batshit crazy for it which was the whole idea and I think it's going to play huge for me. I agree with the previous poster that it seems about $10 overpriced, but if you'll get use out of this I think you'll be happy.
Just got this this morning.... oh about 4 hours ago, along with a number of other items from card shark - great service and quick delivery as per usual btw - I personally believe it is worth the money and I don't think you would want it looking much better or more sophisticated looking than it actually is, otherwise I believe it would actually detract from what specs believe it is - a cheap toy out the local chinese supermarket.

I own a bar and restaurant and have already did it 10 times.... it got great responses from young kids right through to those in there 70's / 80's.

Initially I intoduced Klaus as per suggestion on the video, but I just tried an idea I had and it went down rather well.... need to work on it, but it maybe has legs......

I pulled "wedge" out of my bottom drawer and used it to get the cards, a small block of cheese and Klaus. At last I might have a use for wedge that fits into a routine very naturally. But it will need more work to perfect it.

But with or without wedge, am really pleased with the reactions I have gotten so far
Card Shark kindly sent me a replacement mouse.

It is a great trick to perform on children i.e. magicians.
We have this in stock in the UK ready to ship.

Kids do love it but it can be done for any audience.

Check it out here http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/new-magic/klaus-the-mouse.html
This looks like a lot of fun. I too worry about durability at that price but in fairness, it is that way with a lot of gimmicked effect. Just some, more than others. For Klaus to stay cute and appealing, he can't be made of Kevlar.

Leo
I am at the 4F right now and several great magicians approached me yeaterday and told me how much mileage they get out of Klaus the Mouse that they bought a year ago.

You will not regret it, it is really a "family trick", men, women and kids love the effect for different reasons.
Glad to hear you got a new mouse RJS. Since I've doing business with Klaus and company, I couldn't be happier.
Nice trick, but I would like a download for my library. If I put the mous away for some years and want to bring it back in my show, I would like to check the explanation. This trick is not that difficult, but ok to have the possibility. Usually I never by trick not including instructions. Streaming is not god enough ... in the long run - streaming-links disappear. In this case, I did not understand that the explanation only was available by streaming. Dealars should at least tell if you get instructions permanent og not.

Knarild
Just an idea - take a moment and record yourself explaining the method to yourself - your own little explanation video, as it were. Then, you never have to worry about not having a video to look back to. In addition, you can add your own thoughts and ideas to the video so you can remember what YOU thought of the trick. I have done this with many effects, and I store those videos digitally with many others I have downloaded. They have been helpful to go back to. I know it's additional work, but just shooting the video for yourself is helpful because it also helps cement the trick in your brain - just like writing down notes in school used to do. :)
I have this effect which in theory I really like however when I spread the cards they do not spread nicely and tend to split at the vital part if you know what I mean.....if anyone has any tips regarding this feel free to send me a pm.
When the spread does not look nice anymore, I am using a new deck of cards. When the special card gets old, make a new one: Take out the inner metal parts and glue them into a new pair of cards.
Has anyone attempted a DIY version of this trick?
[quote]On Sep 5, 2016, sgtgrey wrote:
Just an idea - take a moment and record yourself explaining the method to yourself - your own little explanation video, as it were. Then, you never have to worry about not having a video to look back to. In addition, you can add your own thoughts and ideas to the video so you can remember what YOU thought of the trick. I have done this with many effects, and I store those videos digitally with many others I have downloaded. They have been helpful to go back to. I know it's additional work, but just shooting the video for yourself is helpful because it also helps cement the trick in your brain - just like writing down notes in school used to do. :) [/quote]

This is actually a very good idea that I will be implementing immediately. Just look at the number of requests to "name this effect" or "does anyone have instructions for...?" we see every few days in other forums. (I too am guilty and have an "adult" effect I still cannot remember the name of or how to use the 3 cards).

I wish I had recorded something, even if just to inventory it or jotted the routine down. and with a number of even "Legit" sites going to the "streaming only format", What happens if one day they decide to close shop to pursue another dream or go belly up in an unstable economy. I lose a lot of $$$$$$ worth of downloads I may want to go back to at some point.
Actually, the gimmick (not the mouse) I receive always get stuck on the wheel of the toy mouse. I need to DIY a bit to adjust the gimmick so that it works smoothly. But other than that, this trick is a perfect.
For $35, I think card-shark can do better on the gimmick although making a gimmick yourself is not difficult once you have found the material for it.
The gimmick you get can be dissembled, and you can use the inner parts over and over again with a new deck of cards.
Yes, but the surface of the gimmick may get weaker from time to time if I disassemble the inner parts frequently. Do you have some suggestion on what to use on the surface of it?
Any two new cards would do the job, but with a Joker on the face you always have an excuse to remove the gimmick from your deck at the end.
Yes, I see. But may I know what to apply on the gimmick and the two new cards so that it can get stuck well together without damaging the quality of the two new cards much?
Yes. But you might have to find your own spray in your country.
We use ReMount Spray from 3M. Sometimes you find the spray under the name CreativMount or Creative Mount. In all cases the spray has a green cap.
Ok, will give it a try, can I use 3M Repositionable glue stick for alternatives? As it is similar to rubber cement and restickable as well. It is also more convenient to use. Will also try to use it and find which one is better.
One word of warning with this effect the mouse isn't the sturdiest I accidentally dropped mine on the kitchen floor and the ear broke off...this isn't to say its not a good effect just to say you need to handle it with care.
I've owned Klaus for over a year and just started using it. While easy to perform it does require a bit of trial and error depending on type of surface you're using (kitchen counter top, table, with a mat or without, etc). It gets a great reaction. Hope this helps.
Wow....i put a post on here mentioning that whilst Klaus the mouse is a good trick you have to be careful with it as I dropped mine and broke the ear off it, anyway I kept the mouse and changed his name to Vinny short for Vincent Van Gogh for obvious reasons :-D

Out of the blue today a parcel arrived from none other than Card-Shark with a new mouse body so I now have a mouse with 2 ears again, I would like to point out that I never complained or asked for a replacement so to receive a new mouse was a total surprise as I can't think of any other magic dealers out there that would go to such trouble especially as I'm in the UK and the Mouse came from Germany.

So a massive thank you to Card-Shark for excellent customer service from one very happy customer :-)
I would send the new mouse immediately back.
Now you have to change the name of the mouse AGAIN.
That is very confusing for the spectators but what's far more important:it is very frustating for the mouse !
You will lead your mouse into an identity crisis. That is not good and it is your fault.
I know what you mean Waterloophai and I've taken your comments on board.....As such I've decided to get the mouse some therapy from a top animal psychologist ;-)
Does Jackson Galaxy do Mouse Whispering?

Dave