(Close Window)
Topic: Are we over Derren Brown?
He just had a new special, Pushed to the Edge. So far not a peep on here about it. Has his time at the Café ended?
I hope so
I enjoyed his mentalism. Haven't been too big of a fan of his later stuff.
Don't fail to miss it if you can.
http://www.newstatesman.com/2016/01/derren-brown-pushed-edge-credibility
Haven't heard anything about that. And I follow him on Twitter, so.... ????

Could be that the general hype around Derren is not what it once was, and as a flow-on result there's less talk about him here. Don't forget that a huge number of Café mentalists live outside the UK and therefore get the news much slower about his new shows and projects.
I watched it.

He's been there many times - done that, within this social compliance territory many years ago.

So for audiences I think this hits more with a baby thud.

Time for something new.

These specials seemed designed to promote and back up his stage show persona.
[quote]On Jan 15, 2016, Mindpro wrote:
I hope so [/quote]

You crack me up... I want more! :-)
I think Derren has lost his way with some these TV shows but I've yet to see one of his live shows that has disappointed me. If there's a greater showman/woman working in the mystery arts, I'm not aware of him/her. I will always love Derren for his best work and easily forgive the stuff I find less engaging.
I enjoyed it. I thought the structure was brilliantly chosen and edited.
[quote]On Jan 15, 2016, ringmaster wrote:
Don't fail to miss it if you can.[/quote]

Thankfully I didn't follow your advice.
I saw his latest stageshow in London last Monday. 2000 in the audience, complete sell out every show for the rest of his appearances in London. Big standing ovation at the end. So I guess the average people is not over him.
In his Penguin lecture DB pretty much said his heart is in the stage shows and the TV stuff is kind of just a way of promoting and building his brand to get people through the theatre doors.

I saw Miracle last year and it was great, he is an amazing showman live and the audience was in the palm of his hand from start to finish.

Maybe he needs to change up his TV stuff a bit but in his terms I think he's doing well still.

Phill
Well a little known man called Houdini used to do big filmed/photographed stunts to advertise his stage shows, so there is nothing new in this concept.

I think we mentalists (well most) like his true mentalist style shows (even if they have fake science explanations) rather than these supposed scientific studies of the human condition. For a start it had very little Derren Brown in it as he was always hiding in the shadows and doing voice-overs. People tune in to watch Derren Brown.

It wasn't all bad and an interesting way to spend an hour, but not enough Derren Brown for a Derren Brown fan.
[quote]On Jan 15, 2016, Chaz93 wrote:
He just had a new special, Pushed to the Edge. So far not a peep on here about it. Has his time at the Café ended? [/quote]

No, it hasn't
No.

His audience is not you guys and gals...

I personally loved it. It was FUN to watch!
Despite the more recent specials, he's still in the top 5% - and on stage one of the very best...
I personally enjoyed the show, even though it was very elaborate to achieve the outcome.
I love his stage shows and wouldnt hesitate to see him live one of these Days - especially partnered with Nyman.

It is just the that the TV specials now feel like a more dolled up version of the classic American "Candid Camera" shows.

Was it an entertaining hour? Sure but nothing new.

I think Derren's rep and status as tops in his field is intact.
I'm sure Derren, isn't losing any sleep :-)
Derren's Great Art Robbery special has been a hit with everyone I've pointed towards it.
Let's hope not he's spectacular. I haven't had the good grace of reading his works but to hear that someone doesn't like someone based on some TV special is a little disheartening. Great performer though.
I still remember his earlier material. Always been impressed with his presentation and effects. It does seem that recently he's not as prevalent as he was before.

Kind regards,

-Vlad
[quote]On Jan 16, 2016, OTTOEMEZZO wrote:
I still remember his earlier material. Always been impressed with his presentation and effects. It does seem that recently he's not as prevalent as he was before.

Kind regards,

-Vlad [/quote]
Hey let's try to focus on that positive. Being that I think you probably know more than me what are the elements that make someone as famous or as influential as Derren brown? Just curious.
Speaking of Mr. Brown. I just got around to watching his Penguin Live lecture today. It is fantastic.
[quote]On Jan 16, 2016, Robb wrote:
Speaking of Mr. Brown. I just got around to watching his Penguin Live lecture today. It is fantastic. [/quote]
Now that I've seen! and the philosophical aspects of his work are fantastic as well. He is the reason I ever picked up a philosophy book. I read his book when I was down a few years ago and I used a technique of his to change negative thoughts. He is more than an awesome performer. I feel like he is a friend. Tear drop.
He certainly has become a guru, hasn't he?
I make no reservations about the fact that Derren has been, and will continue to be, a huge influence on me.

Years ago "Pure Effect" and "Absolute Magic" were the catalysts I needed to think more deeply about my performances beyond clever methods.

As others have said, I'm not sure I'll ever see another performer command such a strong stage presence. I had the pleasure of seeing "Svengali" live in London a few years back and was fortunate enough to briefly meet him after the show. My fear of being disappointed by one of my idols vanished when I came face to face with him - he was an incredibly kind and authentic guy!

Regarding the intent of this thread - I'm not "over" Derren! I haven't absolutely loved every one of his TV specials but I appreciate that he (and his creative team) make ASTOUNDINGLY compelling TV. His stage shows are without compare and I'm certain I will continue to learn valuable lessons in stagecraft from his offerings.

Two quotes come to mind from some of my favorite creative people:

"Go and make interesting mistakes, make amazing mistakes, make glorious and fantastic mistakes. Break rules. Leave the world more interesting for your being here. Make. Good. Art.” ~Neil Gaiman

And...

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~Samuel Beckett

Even if Derren has made mistakes, they are amazing ones. I can only hope to "fail" half as well as he has!

Best,

Drew
I really enjoyed the program. I watched it and laughed most of the way through. Good show.
The Old Man, the Boy and the Donkey

" An old man, a boy and a donkey were going to town. The boy rode on the donkey and the old man walked beside him. As they went along they passed some people who remarked it was a shame the old man was walking and the boy was riding. The boy and the man though maybe the critics were right, so they changed positions.
Later, they passed some people who remarked, " What a shame! He makes that little boy walk." Then they decide they both would walk.
Soon they passed some more people who though they were stupid to walk when they had a decent donkey to ride. So they both rode the donkey.
Now they passed some people who shamed them by saying how awful to put such a load on a poor donkey. The boy and the man said they were probably right, so they decided to carry the donkey. As they crossed the bridge, they lost their grip on the animal, and he fell into the river and drowned.
The moral of the story? If you try to please everyone, you might as well kiss your ass goodbye. " Michael Port in Book Yourself Solid
To be fair to Derren.
I think he greatly influenced many of the younger generation of mentalism including myself,
he lift the art of mentalism to a new level.
Derren Brown got to push the edge,breakthrough what he did before.
I believe there were much more mentalists trying to do similar performance,similar material which Derren did years ago.
Much of Derren's effects he did 10years ago in TV show can now be performed live by many other mentalists now.
Derren have to keep improving and coming up with new show to distance himself with many of the new mentalists in UK.
Much of the mentalism effects consist of mind reading in essence,after you've prove you can read mind to audiences,
there isn't many effects you can do to top that in traditional mentalism.
So I think Derren of course have to move to a more Guru persona,
since doing mind reading over and over again is self repeating.
I studied and performed many direct mind reading mentalism effect in the past,
now I move toward into more Psycho-Spiritual area in mentalism after 15years of experience in magic and mentalism.
We all have to push the envelope of ourselves to keep improving.
[quote]On Jan 17, 2016, DrewBstoss wrote:

Two quotes come to mind from some of my favorite creative people:

"Go and make interesting mistakes, make amazing mistakes, make glorious and fantastic mistakes. Break rules. Leave the world more interesting for your being here. Make. Good. Art.” ~Neil Gaiman

And...

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~Samuel Beckett
[/quote] Shout out for the two quotes from two of MY favorite writers. And excellent quotes they are. Ideas that an imaginative person can test out in the Real World. In gratitude, Tim
Derren will be back in the public eye during the next 24 hours with the release of the secret behind his Thorpe Park project.
Are we over him? Not sure what that's supposed to mean. How about a little respect for a man that has accomplished so much in the field of mentalism.

jeff
"Being over" someone doesn't mean you disrespect them. Personally I got bored with watching Derren many years ago. After his second series to be exact. I can't watch his TV shows I find them painful and dreary. That doesn't mean I disrespect him it just means I find him boring to watch. His live shows are a lot better but even there I wouldn't go and see him. So I guess I "got over" Derren a long time ago. That doesn't change the fact that he is at the top of the game with regards to being a mentalist/performer or whatever he has morphed into these days. Very few will ever have anywhere near his success which is something to respect. But everything becomes boring ....eventually. Everything goes out of fashion eventually. I think Derren still has a few years ahead of him much to his and his teams credit to have kept things going. But it wore thin for me personally a long time ago.
Yeah, there is no statement of disrespect in saying you're over something. I respect the hell out of Mr. Brown. He was one of the major sources of me wanting to become a mentalist. I also think he happens to be one of the best performers I have ever seen. That said, I'm over his recent show formula, and over reading about him non-stop on the Café. Luckily that doesn't happen so much any more.

My question isn't whether or not he still does well with the public. It's obvious he does. It's whether or not he is still as interesting to mentalists and magicians as he used to be. It does not seem as though he is, as this topic has only gone on two pages.
Exactly, couldn't agree more with the last two posts. It's when people read things that aren't being said that it turns ugly and out of context.
I like him a lot.... But he'll never catch on in the states unless he changes a few things. I honestly think he's been ripped off by US TV and they've kind of blown his cover inadvertently ...or on purpose. I'm not sure which. If you are referring to WE as the USA then WE were never actually supportive of him that much. Most people here in the USA have no idea who he is. I think magicians on the Café has quieted down considerably. I saw a guy at the ECSS do one of Derrens routines almost word for word. The problem was IMHO he didn't steal the really GOOD LINES ... :sun:
I stand by my comments..to say that you find a performer "boring" or "dreary" isn't a compliment or all that respectful. That's not taking anything out of context. Seems like some people need to have new and shiny things more often so they don't get bored. Pretty easy to criticize someone so highly successful and comes across as petty, jealous and disrespectful. All of which is easy to do from safely behind one's keyboard. Sad to see people make Derren Brown's contribution to our art seems so disposable and trivial.

Jeff
[quote]On Jan 24, 2016, MagicalEducator wrote:
I stand by my comments..to say that you find a performer "boring" or "dreary" isn't a compliment or all that respectful. That's not taking anything out of context. Seems like some people need to have new and shiny things more often so they don't get bored. Pretty easy to criticize someone so highly successful and comes across as petty, jealous and disrespectful. All of which is easy to do from safely behind one's keyboard. Sad to see people make Derren Brown's contribution to our art seems so disposable and trivial.

Jeff [/quote]

I agree. In answer to the original question of 'has DB's time on the Café ended?', there's a large difference between "I think so" and "I hope so".
I think Derren is leaving the door open for the next face of magic. By him doing more stage work and less street stuff. Someone should pounce.
Love his stage shows...think the tv stuff has got incredibly lazy and ill thought out.

The worst being the lottery...who in their right minds thought that doing the effect then waiting a week to give the pseudo science "answer", was a good idea. By the time he did the explanation most people had thought up a different answer that wasn't as stupid as that given.

Oh for the days of Heist and Seance :(
[quote]On Jan 24, 2016, MagicalEducator wrote:

Jeff [/quote]

Actually it means we don't see things the same way as you do. Could it be you just don't respect the opinions of some of the posters? The original post asked if we were over Derren Brown meaning are magicians/mentalists not as excited by Derren Brown as we used to be? It never asked for "compliments". I honestly think you are hallucinating when you make comments about any of us being jealous or petty? Are you saying that anyone who we find boring or dull means we are jealous or petty? In that case I must be jealous of a lot of entertainers and extremely petty. I found Derren really interesting at the start of his TV career when it wasn't made clear whether he was real or fake. In fact many magicians and even mentalists believed he used body language etc. For me it started to fall apart after his Russian roulette special where he started to make disclaimers as journalists were lining up to debunk him.From that moment on his TV shows lost his edge and he started to morph into what he does on TV today. I have never liked anything he has done on TV since. I found them painful to watch with the exception of the seance special and usually switch them over before the end. I respect what he has achieved I just don't find it interesting or entertaining after the second series personally. But I also respect the fact that some do. I loved the period of his career where he was able to blurr reality with fact and had a lot of people "fooled". To me that's what mentalism is about. It was an exciting period.Most of what he has done since on TV couldn't really be seen as true mentalism. But some kind of hybrid pseudo documentary.
Would love to see your life work posted for trolls everywhere to comment on. I should think you might appreciate a little bit more respect and appreciation for your efforts.

Jeff
Brown and Geller have done more for mentalist than the rest of you together.
So what, that means no one can have an preference or opinion?
Early on on his career with his success in Great Britain I wondered why and if Derren Brown would ever be popular or recognized in the USA. His fame among US magicians rose some -- but never to the heights of a Copperfield or a Geller.

I wondered why, and came up with several reasons -- some probably annoying to US audiences and performers but my own opinions based upon my 74 years of life on this weird planet.

1. Brown's performances are too intelligent and well informed for the short attention span of the US public.

2. He is correct in using TV as the promotion point for his touring shows -- a fact that Copperfield found years ago -- his TV shows ended up costing him money to produce -- which he then made up in touring performances playing large venues at solid seat pricing. (I BELIEVE THE YEAR HE SAID THIS HE HAD MADE $60 MILLION IN GROSS RECEIPTS)

3. Brown is the the business for the long haul and contributes to the craft by educating his audiences while entertaining them -- not just profiting from splash effects that can be knocked off by other magicians or sold as tricks. His acting and routines are as integral to his performance as are the "tricks" and the US audiences are more trained to want flash than nuance.

4. The US networks are not quite sure how to handle British shows do dominate a time slot and are not ready to pay the price needed t not only purchase the shows -- but to promote them and still not grab ratings like flashy US magicians MIGHT.

5. DB is not trying to dominate the world -- just be excellent at what he does for HIS audiences and markets. Something domineering Americans might not understand in their hubris.
[quote]On Feb 13, 2016, Mindpro wrote:
So what, that means no one can have an preference or opinion? [/quote]

No problem having a preference or opinion it's just the way that one shares it. One can do this with some dignity and respect. I also agree that Mr. Brown might be too high brow for a reality TV world that can only deal with catering to the lowest common denominator.

Jeff
Personally I think the US audience just doesn't entirely 'get' British humor so a lot of his subtlety is lost. I don't think it really it's an issue of attention span - I know plenty of people who will watch long shows if they are interesting. Heck, we even have commercials now making light of the fact that people binge-watch TV shows. If someone can sit and watch 14 episodes of Archer in a row, they can watch a magic show. As long as it interests them.

I think the big issue, personally, is that Brown came to America before and basically he attacked religion. The US is weird about that. He created a fake faith healer, and also convinced new-agey folks that he could replicate 'psychic' abilities, implying it was all fake. I think that probably didn't sit too well with the US audience.

So combine his humor not really landing, and his first excursion to the US being a bit too brash, and you don't get much success there.

However, I feel that his more recent stage shows would do well. He has mellowed out a lot with the debunking kind of angle he had before, and now seems to focus on exploring the mind and how it can be manipulated and predicted.
I agree about British humor and perspectives. First, I'm not sure Derren is interested in really cracking the U.S. market. I've stated here before that he would likely need to make a lot of changes and adaptations to truly give it a run to be a major accepted entertainer as he has over there. I don't think he'd be willing to do so, and likely doesn't need/want to.

So many people think they know U.S. audiences, or worse yet claim there isn't much difference, but there is. I look at so many others that have attempted to be stopped in their tracks. Cliff Richard who tried desperately to crack the U.S. market - several times aggressively. In Europe he was nearly Elvis-like, but could never come close to his popularity here. Same for comedy.

I don't think his stage shows would do as well either. I think his whole persona and personality wouldn't play well here. Sure it does to the magic/mentalism communities, but I mean to the masses. He wouldn't play well in Peoria. His style and character is not at all U.S.-friendly. He would likely need an American team and consultants to truly stand a chance and that would be out of his comfort zone for sure. As I said, not sure he would want it.

However to me this question that was originally posed as it pertained to the Café is what I was referring to. Especially with the glob of newbies, groupies and such he has inspired. It seems to have mellowed and settled back to a normal level.Even the way the Eurporen members post here regarding him vs. many U.S. members her at the Café is greatly different.

There will always be those that think anything he does is golden. Others feel he has changed and perhaps lost an edge he formerly had. Yet still others see his shift and see it as evolvement. Regardless, all of his attempts at the U.S. on t.v. have really fallen short. His series was cancelled before the entire run aired. I've spoken to major U.S. promoters who we're at all interested in taking the chance. I remember Paul McKenna years ago realizing how he needed to change and adapt to achieve any level of success in the U.S. which while more than Derren, was also minimal.
[quote]On Feb 14, 2016, WitchDocChris wrote:
However, I feel that his more recent stage shows would do well. He has mellowed out a lot with the debunking kind of angle he had before, and now seems to focus on exploring the mind and how it can be manipulated and predicted. [/quote]

his last stage show (i saw it just before christmas) was nothing but mellow...and 3/4s of it was entirely aimed at the evangelical side of religion, including him healing people...
How did it seem to play over there compared to his previous?
[quote]On Feb 13, 2016, chmara wrote:
Early on on his career with his success in Great Britain I wondered why and if Derren Brown would ever be popular or recognized in the USA. His fame among US magicians rose some -- but never to the heights of a Copperfield or a Geller.

I wondered why, and came up with several reasons -- some probably annoying to US audiences and performers but my own opinions based upon my 74 years of life on this weird planet.

1. Brown's performances are too intelligent and well informed for the short attention span of the US public.

2. He is correct in using TV as the promotion point for his touring shows -- a fact that Copperfield found years ago -- his TV shows ended up costing him money to produce -- which he then made up in touring performances playing large venues at solid seat pricing. (I BELIEVE THE YEAR HE SAID THIS HE HAD MADE $60 MILLION IN GROSS RECEIPTS)

3. Brown is the the business for the long haul and contributes to the craft by educating his audiences while entertaining them -- not just profiting from splash effects that can be knocked off by other magicians or sold as tricks. His acting and routines are as integral to his performance as are the "tricks" and the US audiences are more trained to want flash than nuance.

4. The US networks are not quite sure how to handle British shows do dominate a time slot and are not ready to pay the price needed t not only purchase the shows -- but to promote them and still not grab ratings like flashy US magicians MIGHT.

5. DB is not trying to dominate the world -- just be excellent at what he does for HIS audiences and markets. Something domineering Americans might not understand in their hubris. [/quote]

Agreed, 100%. It may not be something we wish to admit, but American audiences' attention spans ARE too short for the type of segments Derren was shooting for his British TV shows. Just look at how the shows were produced that Derren did here in the States: The quick cuts, the shortened segments... they can't let anything "breathe" on American TV. Simplistic story lines.

And if he's "over", his stuff "old", why is every mentalist and his brother saying they're using NLP and body language reading? Now more than ever, in fact? That is the influence Derren has had on the art.
He seems to be as well loved as ever...and I can only go from the whispers I heard at the interval and during the show - people are still as amazed and derren is still as (be)loved as ever...i find it tiring because its basically the same thing, he has his own personal message, which is "think about things rationally" - which is great, and I agree...but to continually do that in every stage show in slightly different ways is a bit boring for me personally...which means zero in the scheme of things I know, and that's from a person who genuinely has loved a lot of what he has done, and I would consider him to be one of the very best...both creatively and as a showman...

its too formulaic for my tastes... I think for those that are his uber-fans, he's (ironically) preaching to the converted, so the message is lost because they already do it, for those that are either there to just switch off and be entertained, or just don't care about the deeper side of things - its lost on them...so I'm not sure to whom it is being aimed at (the message bit)...

and it still boils down to him pushing that message, yet not debunking properly because I guess then it reveals the methods of those who do it for entertainment (to varying degrees)...

so the first half of the show was fun, very entertaining (stuff like people taking random quality street sweets from out of a tin and eating them) and derren tells them which it is by the sounds - there was a very good newspaper confabulation effect - but the second half was too similar for my tastes, and didn't feel cohesive enough...

with that said - people genuinely love him and what he does...and that's all that counts for the paying public...
I guess that's what I was wondering - is it still entertaining to the mass public or is the entertainment factor being compromised due to his newer preference of promoting a message and his personal agenda direction.
Based on his tour pretty much being a sell out at every venue and based on what I've heard from lay people it is still entertaining to the public at large. I wasn't a big fan of the second half of Infamous but many of my non magician friends loved that part. I did like his closer though.

Mark
For what it's worth, and especially for the people saying he doesn't want to perform in the U.S., or wouldn't succeed if he ever did so again, he's planning to do a Broadway show in 2017. Source: https://youtu.be/YEhF81O9LTk?t=8m25s
Performing on Broadway in is no way the same as performing for the mass U.S. audience. A New York theater audience is much different than performing throughout the U.S.

It's so sad that in even over there they view him as a magician, illusionist and mind reader that were all referenced in just the first few minutes. Then Derren referring to it as "tricks"... "This is youtube, this is a very serious medium"- give me a break.
If you think it isn't a serious medium, fair enough..but it doesn't make it so 💃
??? Not sure what you mean.
We maybe over Darren Brown but I assure you the lay audience is not.
My Universities psychology department recently invited Dr. Danial J. Simons to give a presentation. Dr. Simon's is noted for the Invisible Gorilla study. At this lecture it turns out that there is a Darren Brown following among the students and faculty. I was actually amazed at the amount of people in a small American University town knew who Darren was.
No, the lay audience is not over Brown and I don't think we have either, we maybe slightly desensitized to where he no longer phases us at the moment but wait until he comes up with a new show or a new something.
I'm curious as to why so many of the replies have to do with laymans perspective or anything of that nature. None of that is in question. It seems some of the replies didn't even bother to read the original question and instead insist on defending poor mr brown and getting all huffy.

However, this has only been two pages of that where in the past it would have surely been much more by now.

It seems to me, from my observation, that as a whole penny for your thoughts is over Derren Brown.

Now, back to whatever the hell debate you guys are having off to the side.
[quote]On Feb 15, 2016, IAIN wrote:
If you think it isn't a serious medium, fair enough..but it doesn't make it so 💃 [/quote]

Just listened to Eugene Burger on a Podcast and he refers to Internet/YouTube magic as something that we need to embrace. Things are never going to believe the way they were. New performers will either evolve or get left behind. I think what IAIN is saying is that he disagrees with you...as does Derren, as does Eugene and as do I. I look at the work of artists such as Marco Tempest and see hints of the future if magic. Just because you say it doesn't automatically make it so.

Jeff
[quote]On Feb 15, 2016, Chaz93 wrote:
However, this has only been two pages of that where in the past it would have surely been much more by now.

It seems to me, from my observation, that as a whole penny for your thoughts is over Derren Brown.
[/quote]
An alternative reading of the situation is that many folks simply dismissed the question as pointless and/or empty posturing.
[quote]On Feb 16, 2016, Tim Cavendish wrote:
[quote]On Feb 15, 2016, Chaz93 wrote:

[/quote]
An alternative reading of the situation is that many folks simply dismissed the question as pointless and/or empty posturing. [/quote]

Yes.
[quote]On Feb 13, 2016, MagicalEducator wrote:
[quote]On Feb 13, 2016, Mindpro wrote:
So what, that means no one can have an preference or opinion? [/quote]

No problem having a preference or opinion it's just the way that one shares it. One can do this with some dignity and respect. I also agree that Mr. Brown might be too high brow for a reality TV world that can only deal with catering to the lowest common denominator.

Jeff [/quote]

Again I found his TV shows not so much high brow as genuinely boring. If you found them high brow and enjoyed them then I respect your point of view. If you want to worship an entertainer then again that's good for you. This thread has nothing to do with respect or disrespect. I didn't think his shows were that clever I found them a bit pointless and contrived. But I will ignore your insult that anyone who didn't share your enthusiasm was the lowest common denominator. I think the disrespect is coming from you? You do know what "projection" is? As I repeat I LOVED his first two series after that it went way down hill for me personally. Its called an opinion.
I also think it makes no difference to Derren what we think hes carved out a great career for himself no matter how you look at it. And has also provided some great moments on TV. Good for him I'm pleased he has done so well. And may he go on for many years.
I don't feel like I'm worshipping Derren Brown but rather trying to show some respect for his work and career. It would be lovely if others would consider this as well. Penny would be a happier place I should think. This is why I choose to avoid descriptions like "boring" or "contrived" when referring to someone who most would acknowledge as a huge success in the field. Your opinion is different and as a "serious mentalist" you have the right share your opinions how you choose. I think my comment about LCD TV is self explanatory and so I would rather sit through a more artistic presentation rather than something that I would find quite mind punishing as reality TV. I'm not clear why you'd find that insulting as I'm only sharing my opinion. As for "projecting" I should think that the amateur psychology is best left elsewhere. I'm sorry I seem to have made you so angry about this but words on a page don't always convey a person's full meaning. Recently I've done some reading on how to relax and not let things bother me so much. I've heard mind revitalizing can be a powerful thing but I find quite a bit of this as mostly unscientific hokum.

jeff
[quote]On Feb 17, 2016, mindpunisher wrote:
I also think it makes no difference to Derren what we think hes carved out a great career for himself no matter how you look at it. And has also provided some great moments on TV. Good for him I'm pleased he has done so well. And may he go on for many years. [/quote]

Mindpunisher, I agree with you. Derren is one of the greatest mentalists of our time, and has built a very successful career. He's someone I admire a lot. As you say, may he continue performing for many years, if that's what he chooses. Like Kreskin, Derren probably could continue on for decades.
I agree with Mindpunisher and the others as well. Let's get back to the proper perspective and point here. This thread was started by the OP asking about US here at the Café, not how the public or lay audience feel about Derren.

Derren's popularity over there has never been disputed. He is well-received, loved and successful, we get it. The point is here at The Magic Café he brought an entire new breed of European followers, some worshipers, groupies and fanatics to the Café which for a while were quite vocal, clique-ish, at times bullying, and very aggressive in their support of Derren and more so towards anyone who didn't share their belief.

To me it greatly damaged and changed what Penney For Your Thoughts used to be. Larger name and well-estabished mentalists were driven away by this "gang" or "mob" of worshipers, never to return and never to have Penney return to what it once was.

So the question was more about, has this passed or died down? Is the fervor over?

Derren has never been that huge here in the states (remember the Café is an American-based board). For some reason that seems to offend his staunch supporters, but it is the reality. The U.S. public hardley knows about his, except for those in our community or the kids that may have found him on youtube (you can always tell who they are when they come here asking for "how can I do what Derren did?"

But there are many here in our community in the states that also don't care much for Derren. It's not a diss towards him or his supporters here, just simply a point. I was part of a decent-sized group at Mindventiona a few years ago talking about this and the negative affects he had in some aspects to our community.

Then there are the guys here that feel he started as a "mentalist" which is what got him recognized, established and famous, but had drifted or shifted from that to more of a "personality" or "entertainer" in a different direction. Not a bad thing, just something most have noticed and seem to prefer the original.

I for one am glad the craziness has subsided from Penney, but it seems it has changed the forum and left and permanent impact. You can now tell the UK guys more easily because anytime anyone offers an unfavorable or unpopular opinion of him they chime in immediately all defensive and slinging. Not all, but there are still some that do and won't seem to let it go.

The point is Derren has achieved superstar status. It is different, he is different. To the audience it is also different. In the beginning it was amazing new and fresh. Now, while he is still quite talented and popular, I don't think he plays as strong and amazing as originally for a variety of reasons. He's changed and the pubic has now been exposed to him and has expectations.

It is part of evolution and fame in entertainment. Nothing against Derren.

For years I worked with a comedian named Dan Whitney. He was a good and enterprising comedian working the comedy club circuit in the U.S. He did quite well for himself. Like Derren, he was driven and wanted more, something bigger. Long story short he did a character in his act the became popular - Larry The Cable Guy, a blue-collar able T.V. installer. He started doing radio appearances as that character and longer segments in his show due to the gaining recognition, buzz and popularity. Everyone here in the states now knows how huge Larry The Cable guy has become. One of the most profitable and successful comedians of all-time.

Unlike Derren though who I feel has changed (some will say progressed or evolved), Larry has stayed true to his formula and character. He knows his audience, knows what they want, knows what they will accept, knows they are the reason for his success, and knows straying from it and them could be suicide. Derren is much the same but has chosen to evolve form what originally mad him famous and well-accepted. Some like it and are with him and support him. Seems over there his audience, according to those here, say he's still as popular and strong to audiences. I do think here in our community where we look at this through different glasses we notice the change and shift more than the lay public.

Also just like Larry The Cable Guy wouldn't play well as he is in the UK, Derren hasn't fared well here. Not an insult to either just a observation based in fact.

I think his impact on the Café has been established. I think he;s greatly responsible for the strong UK presence of members here at he Café. I think in many ways he's responsible for many of the mentalism vs. magic issues we discuss here on the Café. If Derren did some sponge bunny routine in his show, all of a sudden many here would say "well Derren does it, and quite well might I add, so yes,, it's fine to do magic in a mentalism show."

As I said in my original post, and it was nothing against Derren, but rather more a statement to Penney getting back to a more normal state, yes, I hope the Derren craziness here has passed. There is and has always been so much more to mentalisn than Derren Brown. Very few ever discuss the gyus here that deserve much more space and our time & attention - Hilford, Bernstein, Karmilovich, Johnson, Salem, Becker, Earle, Banacheck, Maue, Weber, Osterlind, and so on. These were the guys blown off the table by the Derren breeze. For this and other reasons, yes, I hope the Derrn craze has passed and comes down to a respectable level rather than the domination factor that had changed Penney.
I see it as you can only really rave about those you can experience live, but in a non-lecture way...

So I think its natural for people to become a fan-boy, because they are excited by it all, its new and fresh in their eyes...

Maybe with modern tech, more mentalists can release their show in some format or other...i think that would be great...ive seen docc and banachek lecture and perform, but that's different to a real show obviously...
[quote]On Feb 18, 2016, MagicalEducator wrote:
I don't feel like I'm worshipping Derren Brown but rather trying to show some respect for his work and career. It would be lovely if others would consider this as well. Penny would be a happier place I should think. This is why I choose to avoid descriptions like "boring" or "contrived" when referring to someone who most would acknowledge as a huge success in the field. Your opinion is different and as a "serious mentalist" you have the right share your opinions how you choose. I think my comment about LCD TV is self explanatory and so I would rather sit through a more artistic presentation rather than something that I would find quite mind punishing as reality TV. I'm not clear why you'd find that insulting as I'm only sharing my opinion. As for "projecting" I should think that the amateur psychology is best left elsewhere. I'm sorry I seem to have made you so angry about this but words on a page don't always convey a person's full meaning. Recently I've done some reading on how to relax and not let things bother me so much. I've heard mind revitalizing can be a powerful thing but I find quite a bit of this as mostly unscientific hokum.

jeff [/quote]

Then start a thread called "showing respect for Derren Brown" because this wasn't what this thread is about. You obviously don't understand what projection is because it is YOU that is showing disrespect for the posters here. And I've been using "amateur psychology" PROFESSIONALLY for nearly 30 years. I can't honestly think of any other words other than pointless boring or contrived for the majority of post series 2 TV shows put out by Derren. I found them PAINFUL. I am just giving you my honest opinion sorry you don't like it. But saying anyone who doesn't agree with you or enjoy those awful dreary shows is the common denominator is in fact an insult. And if you are refering to a couple of MP3s I made available to the Café for those suffering from stage fright then I hate to tell you they work. And are just basic hypnotherapy recordings. And they helped the few people who got them. And they have helped dozens of coaching clients in the past. But of course you are entitled to your point of view and I respect that. Shame you don't seem to be able to do the same. Maybe you just have one of those personalities that needs to worship someone.In which case I feel your pain. But its kind of self inflicted. Maybe you should just let it go and accept the reality that not everybody shares your views that way life will might get better for you.
I think your first line sums it up when you say that this thread isn't about showing respect for Derren Brown. You don't and of course you completely miss the point. It doesn't matter to me that you don't care for his work I'm just suggesting that you might consider doing it a different more grown up way. I note that you don't seem to acknowledge this other than to stay you're entitled to your opinion.

I don't say that anyone that doesn't like Derren is LCD. This is your position and not mine. My position is that most TV is LCD. I find it interesting that you're willing to go off on anyone else and call it "opinion" but when there's a veiled reference to anything you're involved with then things become very different. Thanks for proving my point. I'm glad that your work helped folks with their issues although it does sound like it wasn't "statistically significant."

I also appreciate your professional concern for my well being but I'm managing just fine. I'm not entirely clear why you ask for people to be respectful to you but don't do it with others. Unfortunately you're not alone in this practice. There are a couple others in Penny that have very strong opinions and don't appear to like it when people don't agree with them. These are the folks who've made an extremely great number of posts. If you'd like to discuss and debate Derren's work I'd be more than happy to hear your thoughts. If on the other hand you'd like to practice amateur psychology via the internet then we will continue to disagree.

jeff
Why do we in the so-called 'fraternity' delight in attacking our heroes?

We should be celebrating the influence DB has on 'magic/mentalism' both on TV and stage - it's no coincidence that the unprecedented rise in mentalism over the last 20 years has occurred after Derren first made his mark. He created a market for so many, who are more than happy to take the work and pursue his pseudo-scientific approach. As the live talent show judges love to say: he owns the genre.

In the UK at least, Derren has redefined how 'mentalism' is performed live and on television, bringing a hammy, forehead-clutching art form up to date, making it interesting, challenging and a water cooler talking point. He has had an impact (here, not in the US) bigger than Uri Geller, who is now viewed as little more than a joke media figure, his amazing early impact all but forgotten. No so-called mentalist has had this sustained level of impact on the UK public before.

Even if you don't understand TV, surely you'll appreciate that he can't simply keep repeating the positioning of his past. The 'stunts' and pseudo-documentaries are an essential approach to keeping himself fresh and appealing to the public. The alternative is to go the way of Paul Daniels, when even with his ingenuity you simply run out of momentum after 20 years on TV. That hasn't stopped PD continuing to enjoy a buoyant live career decades after he stopped doing regular TV. That's absolutely no reflection on the scale of PD's achievement - just the inevitability of a narrow art form being unsustainable on TV over a long period.

One of the huge barriers to 'mentalism' being a commercially viable form of entertainment is that it is inherently limited in the scope of what it offers. Mentalists are even worse than magicians in all performing the same limited genre of effects, in a similar way (and incidentally in a very DB way).

Derren is, if nothing else, Good For Business, and still has decades ahead of him in which to reinvent himself. Last time I checked, his live tours in the UK are sold out.

Derren Brown is, lest we forget, aged 45.
[quote]On Mar 2, 2016, bobgill wrote:
In the UK at least, Derren has redefined how 'mentalism' is performed live and on television, bringing a hammy, forehead-clutching art form up to date [/quote]

I happen to like it s a hammy, forehead clutching art form. Well technically I don't clutch my head but I am a traditionalist rather than a pseudo scientific body language reader. Yes I love Derren as a performer and will be going to see miracle in a couple of weeks, had to go mid-week because the whole run is pretty much sold out so clearly his popularity is not waning. However I have no desire to emulate him, nor could I if I wanted to.

Mark
You can listen to Derren Brown talking about his incredible work in a free 2 hour podcast here:

http://magicianspodcast.podbean.com

There are also 70 other podcasts on the feed for you to enjoy with other mentalists such as Luke Jermay, David Berglas, Andy Nyman and Marc Paul right now too.

I hope you enjoy it.

Best wishes

Richard Young

Creator & Host of The Magicians' Podcast
I always listen to this podcast. There was a good one with Paul Daniels before his death and a nice one with the lovely Debbie McGee after. It's great to see Derren on.
Just happened to have a thought about the fact that he (in my experience at least) has NEVER made any mistake either planned or by accident.
Isn't this weird?
Derren Brown's Penguin lecture was a turning point for me. That lecture, along with Andy Nyman and Luke Jermay, gave me the sense Derren was the showman and others were the creative minds. I could be wrong, but that is how it seemed to me.

Bobby
[quote]On Sep 10, 2016, robwar0100 wrote:
Derren Brown's Penguin lecture was a turning point for me. That lecture, along with Andy Nyman and Luke Jermay, gave me the sense Derren was the showman and others were the creative minds. I could be wrong, but that is how it seemed to me.

Bobby [/quote]
If you read Pure Effect it may change your view.
Great shows usually grow out of strong creative collaboration. I believe that Derren Brown is an excellent showman and great artist. He has put more thought and creativity into his art and craft than 99.9% of magicians. Read any of his books if you have any doubt. Mentalists today have little idea how much of the current material and way of performing mentalism was actually created by Derren Brown.

Certainly his commercial success would not have happened without the excellent work of a very talented team. I do hear Andy Nyman's voice and sense of emotional drama in Derren's performances, but Derren's acting ability and showmanship is unparalleled. The collaboration has produces some great work.

Mystery performers seem to generally be a very solitary group artistically. This has never made any sense to me.

I have written and directed shows for others performers and would LOVE more than anything to find an "Andy Nyman" to work with me on my show!

In fact, I am currently seeking a director for my show in Washington, DC. It's almost impossible to find somebody. Please let me know if you know of anyone!
Im still not over Houdini
[quote]On Sep 9, 2016, Sensio wrote:
Just happened to have a thought about the fact that he (in my experience at least) has NEVER made any mistake either planned or by accident.
Isn't this weird? [/quote]

Actually he has. :)
In episode 2 of "Trick or treat" he travels to NY and tries to pay some stuff with "blank paper"...
However, it only works 2 out of 3 times. Here is the one that failed: https://youtu.be/3Vz_YTNLn6w?t=83
And the "How To Cheat A Casino" - he apparently lost that random guy's money in the casino.

And the beginning of Enigma, when he said he couldn't guess the band someone had thought of.

And there's been a few various episodes on his TV Shows where they show the couple times whatever it was didn't work. I remember one with him setting a watch to a specific time and trying to have the volunteer guess it, and one lady gave a guess that was way off.

Oh and if you count it, when he had the guy in Venice hide something and he found it via CMR, he did find it but it took him a lot longer than he intended it to.

So yeah, he's done it several times.
Let's be a little more respectful of Mr. Brown. How would you feel if yo had criticized Anneman shortly before
he left us? He is a true maven and in mentalism, "mistakes" as you know, can actually be used to make it
more authentic
Yeah I remember the cheating casino episode vividly, that really sold many on his claims.
[quote]On Sep 12, 2016, countrymaven wrote:
Let's be a little more respectful of Mr. Brown. How would you feel if yo had criticized Anneman shortly before
he left us? He is a true maven and in mentalism, "mistakes" as you know, can actually be used to make it
more authentic [/quote]
I couldn't agree with you more! Although I have only just dicovered Mr. Brown about two weeks ago, I have been watching almost anything he has relased already. :)
Also I am reading his book "Pure effect" at the moment!
He's on telly. I (and nearly all of you reading this) are not.

He's not lost his way so much as we haven't found ours.
Over.
That has nothing at all to do with the topic of this thread. This thread is about Derren as it pertains to the Penny Forum and The Magic Café.
[quote]On Sep 12, 2016, WitchDocChris wrote:
And the "How To Cheat A Casino" - he apparently lost that random guy's money in the casino.

And the beginning of Enigma, when he said he couldn't guess the band someone had thought of.

And there's been a few various episodes on his TV Shows where they show the couple times whatever it was didn't work. I remember one with him setting a watch to a specific time and trying to have the volunteer guess it, and one lady gave a guess that was way off.

Oh and if you count it, when he had the guy in Venice hide something and he found it via CMR, he did find it but it took him a lot longer than he intended it to.

So yeah, he's done it several times. [/quote]

Yes now I can remember some of these instances.
At the end I believe that the overall style that people were left with was a mind reader and mind manipulator that will be "mistakeless". Those mistakes account to very little percentage of the myriads of presentations he performed.
I also suspect that several mistakes must have happened during his shows although there is no mentioning by anyone ever that he went wrong and eventually couldn't recover. Maybe he invested heavily in disaster management.
[youtube]LgcAbJ_cuQI[/youtube]

It relates.
One thought I had which may colour the opinion of people in the Café about Derren - in most of his TV work there is rarely a credit to other people as consultants on the programs, with a very few notable exceptions. I find it hard to believe that at no point has Objective Productions had a table of mentalists/magicians/performers and a brainstorming session or two.

Are we to believe this never happens and Derren creates everything we see, or do people just go uncredited?
[quote]On Sep 14, 2016, solarpk wrote:
One thought I had which may colour the opinion of people in the Café about Derren - in most of his TV work there is rarely a credit to other people as consultants on the programs, with a very few notable exceptions. I find it hard to believe that at no point has Objective Productions had a table of mentalists/magicians/performers and a brainstorming session or two.

Are we to believe this never happens and Derren creates everything we see, or do people just go uncredited? [/quote]

Im pretty sure he does indeed credit Andy Nyman Andrew O' Connor Ian Sharkey at least!
Those would be the notable exceptions (also Luke Jermay). Surely others have been involved and not credited?

[quote]On Sep 26, 2016, Maddies Ghost wrote:
[quote]On Sep 14, 2016, solarpk wrote:

Are we to believe this never happens and Derren creates everything we see, or do people just go uncredited? [/quote]

Im pretty sure he does indeed credit Andy Nyman Andrew O' Connor Ian Sharkey at least! [/quote]
I wouldn't have thought so...involve more and more people and you lose sight of derren's persona...different from magic as its more plug and play...
Do other artist credit the inventors of the tricks they use in tv-shows a lot? I mean is it like saying in the show: and the trick I now perform is from xy?
Here is the link in case someone didn't watch it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF0GDe-aUJk

Does anybody know the music that starts from 1:04: 00 ? MIRACLE-ous :) !
Thank you for this link.
In between all his stages shows, spectacular paintings and T.V specials he's also written a new book, 'HAPPY' and it is rather good. The man is a genius legend and I can't put my tongue far enough up his ass! ... yeah, I kinda like him.
I actually really enjoy his stuff. Some of the TV stuff drifts a bit further out there than is my cup of tea, but if I only saw mentalists perform exactly my cup of tea, I'd soon be sick of my own tea. I think he has a very creative approach, and is especially good at making theater out of the mind-reading process of mentalism.
It's amazing how this thread has wandered so far off of the original topic.
It answers the question posed in the subject line.
No, it doesn't not at all. It wasn't asking about one's personal interests but the wave or craze on the Café as a whole.
Well, the OP was about the popularity of Derren in this forum.
So, members of this forum voiced their opinion about him.

The only post I can see that really wandered off-topic is this unnessessary post of yours, Mindpro...
I can't speak for the Café as a whole since I'm a newcomer, but I'd guess the lack of posting about "Pushed to the Edge" is because it is quite similar to his other TV special, "The Heist."
[quote]On Dec 8, 2016, Alexxander wrote:
Well, the OP was about the popularity of Derren in this forum.
So, members of this forum voiced their opinion about him.

The only post I can see that really wandered off-topic is this unnessessary post of yours, Mindpro... [/quote]

Café rules are that we always agree with Mindpro. 🙊

As for Darren, he has and continues to have much success. I still don't think we're "over" him. Is he the flavor of the day? No, but his collection of work is of sufficient quality that he has secured his place in magic history.

Jeff
There aren't many mentalists out there that I enjoy watching as much as I enjoy watching Derren's shows.
He's really unique.
[quote]On Dec 8, 2016, jtbmagic wrote:
...The man is a genius legend and I can't put my tongue far enough up his ass! ... yeah, I kinda like him. [/quote]

I guess he'd really like that, so yeah. Co-sign that.

Mike
On another note, a question I often wonder about is whether or not Andy will eventually regret his denial to be in Derren's place...