(Close Window)
Topic: Contrast by Victor Sanz
So I guess there is a new chris on the block... He looks kind of angry haha

http://www.sansminds.com/index.php/sm-proshop/contrast.html

Contrast is a single card color change that you can do it to a SIGN and TORN card. The change is extremely visual and can be done openly right in front of the spectators. Once the magical moment happens the card can immediately hand out for examination. You spectator can also keep the impossible souvenir. Words cannot explain how impossible this effect is! Check out the trailer NOW!
Hand crafted gimmick included
Two handling: Full card color change and 3/4 card color change
Fully examinable

*TV rights NOT included with purchase. All TV rights reserved and available from SansMinds Magic only.
- See more at: http://www.sansminds.com/index.php/sm-proshop/contrast.html#sthash.3oGTA2Ud.dpuf
I think this is very nice! Very visual and its fantastic that it can be examined!
Is Chris no longer with SM? This effect does look good.
Do these pieces (from the trailer) look like they are from the same card?

Considering how good they normally are at editing their trailers, I was surprised to see this.
Looks so visual and seems good but a honest review must be needed for all sm stuff.
I am SO fooled... placing my order now..
Holy cr@p. I am familiar with all if not most gimmick cards. I have no idea on this one. And you can hand the signed card out right away?! Looks too good to be true.
I haven't liked Sansminds latest releases much (Denail, Pierce and Digital Twin were all stinkers) but this looks wtf crazy. And it comes with a premade gimmick (gasp)!

Speaking of Sansminds, what happened to annoying boy spokesman? The new guy is so normal.
Is there a demo anywhere?
[quote]On Jan 19, 2016, pegasus wrote:
Is there a demo anywhere? [/quote]

Here http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/saturn-magic-shop/contrast--dvd-and-gimmick--by-victor-sanz-and-sansminds--dvd.html

:)
What are your thoughts on it Mark?

Any good?
We don't have this yet, it is due later this week.

The effect is truly amazing to watch, I'm sure like many I hope it is good for table hoping for strolling.
[quote]On Jan 18, 2016, HusssKarson wrote:
Holy cr@p. I am familiar with all if not most gimmick cards. I have no idea on this one. And you can hand the signed card out right away?! Looks too good to be true. [/quote]

When something looks tot good to be true, it is because it is too good to be true.

If people are expecting that you will get a card which looks just as good as a normal card which you can handle fair and cleanly, just as a normal card which you then can hand out without any switches or clean up, just as you see in the trailer. Well, then you are in for a massive disappointment because then you are expecting real magic.

Does the torn off corner really add anything to the effect for someone why has not seen a very visual color change before? To a laymen? I do not think so.

But hey, most magicians do not perform in the real world and are just collectors looking for real magic.
[quote]On Jan 18, 2016, HusssKarson wrote:
Holy cr@p. I am familiar with all if not most gimmick cards. I have no idea on this one. And you can hand the signed card out right away?! Looks too good to be true. [/quote]

Well, you don't know all gimmick cards then :) If you think a little bit,you can come up with a very easy way of achieving the effect, maybe not THE method used but a one which works.
[quote]On Jan 19, 2016, Saturn UK wrote:
[quote]On Jan 19, 2016, pegasus wrote:
Is there a demo anywhere? [/quote]

Here http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/saturn-magic-shop/contrast--dvd-and-gimmick--by-victor-sanz-and-sansminds--dvd.html

:) [/quote]

Thanks Mark. Is this released tomorrow as per the website?
I just checked and it did not make our delivery that is due tomorrow so it will be Friday.
Waiting for reviews but it looks pretty good. Wonder what happened to the old Chris though!
Looks stunning, but with all Sans Minds releases, best to wait till the reviews come in...
I cannot believe no one is willing to take 'one for the team' with this product. It takes a very brave Wing Man to take a hit with a Sansminds release. :rotf:
Before anyone buys this, just ask yourself this, why don't they show what leads up to the color change and what takes place after handing it out. After all, it is a gimmick they are selling.

All we see is the change, then cuts, cuts and more cuts to someone cleanly handing out the card. Of course, this is not how it is going to play out in the real world. Anyone who has been into magic for more than a few years and stopped looking for real magic know that this is true.

Of course, the card will not look as good as it does in the trailer out in the real world either, as long as you have handled card gimmick of this type before, you know that this is true as well.

Just look at a prior Sandminds release, travel, which looked AMAZING in the trailer, and in reality it looked anywhere from CRAP to decent depending if you got a good gimmick or not.

I know that I do sound negative, bit I do hate seeing people getting fooled by the big magic companies. Most of us have a limited budget for new magic and it sucks getting new things that you play around with for 5 minutes and then put in in a drawer where it stays.
Everything you have said is correct so don't apologise. There needs to be more open and honest people like you who speaks the truth - magicians helping magicians. It is fair to say we or we should be sceptical given their track record and misleading trailets to which travel is a perfect example.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Jan 19, 2016 12:14PM)
Anyone who remembers Colour Fusion by Nash can probably come close to working this out, and if you don't want to get this as its Sans Minds, get Colour Fusion by Nash. Nash also had an ungimmicked version which is one of the coolest tricks you will EVER see
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Jan 19, 2016 12:16PM)
Http://youtu.be/Uqy0k8V6Uqo
Took it for the team and bought it! Can't wait to play with it.

Christopher Williams what's with Sans Minds? I enjoy most items I bought from their production. A couple were real disappointments like Reduction. Most ridiculous trick I've ever bought in 30 years. But the ratio of good and bad stuff is about the same with other companies.
[quote]On Jan 19, 2016, HusssKarson wrote:

Christopher Williams what's with Sans Minds? I enjoy most items I bought from their production. A couple were real disappointments like Reduction. Most ridiculous trick I've ever bought in 30 years. But the ratio of good and bad stuff is about the same with other companies. [/quote]

Welcome to the Platinum 'Wing Man' membership club, for going above and beyond in your choice of purchase.
Looks so visually fooling! Can't wait to get mine.
[quote]On Jan 19, 2016, HusssKarson wrote:

Christopher Williams what's with Sans Minds? I enjoy most items I bought from their production. A couple were real disappointments like Reduction. Most ridiculous trick I've ever bought in 30 years. But the ratio of good and bad stuff is about the same with other companies. [/quote]

I know that your question wasn't directed directly towards me, but I will tell you why I do think that a lot of experienced magicians have a problem with Sansminds as a company as I do think it is an important topic and it is relevant to the discussion of this effect as well.

Firstly, let me say that I am a HUGE fan of a lot of Sansminds products. Patrified by Patrick Kun is fantastic, you get 7 workers which can be performed in any situation and a few of them looks like trick photography, while still being real world workers. The same goes for their Pasteboard: Worker Series where you get a bunch of real workers which besides being workers, would be strong enough to perform on TV. I am also a huge fan och a few Nicholas Lawrence releases.

As a company, the smart move would be continue releasing strong, practical magic which both the amateur and the professional can use and enjoy. If you want to be in it for the long run, honesty towards your costumers is the key. And here comes the problem.

It is extremely difficult to know what you are getting when buying a Sansminds-product. This is not unique for Sansminds but their trailers and their ads are up there with the most deceiving ones.

It is not that big of a deal for a grown up with a steady income who does magic as a hobby or professionally. But I do remember how much it sucked to be 15 or 17 who performed magic to get some extra money for college or whatever with a very very limited magic budget and then get a magic trick in the mailbox which simply isn't performable in the real world.

Just look at this trailer, If one can't see how much of the trick that is left out you need glasses.
If you can leave them with a color mis-matched corner with their signature going across the whole face of the card, that means you're gonna have to spend a lot of time making these cards. So you need to ask yourself if it's worth the time and effort.

If you compare the clip from the live performance to the studio one in the trailer, look how much he shakes the card in the live performance to make it change as compared to the studio one. Think about it, when the card changes, the different colored card has to go somewhere so you can be sure it won't be as clean as you would hope in reality.

Instead of dropping $35 on this you could get the same effect using a simple DL which would be just as impressive to the spectators.

Am I the only ones who find these trailers where the presenter looks off camera as they talk to be really annoying? I mean, who on earth are they meant talking to when looking away from the camera?!
I don't want to fall into the psychological [b]trap of impulsive buying[/b], just because the effect is visually striking.

What is the percentage of what I read in the [b]ad copy[/b] and watch in the [b]trailer[/b] is TRUE as intended?

[youtube]xdHIoCp2-To[/youtube]

Can the [b]torn piece be restored[/b] so that the spectator can even keep it as an impossible souvenir? :)
[quote]On Jan 21, 2016, SamChak wrote:
I don't want to fall into the psychological [b]trap of impulsive buying[/b], just because the effect is visually striking.

What is the percentage of what I read in the [b]ad copy[/b] and watch in the [b]trailer[/b] is TRUE as intended?

[youtube]xdHIoCp2-To[/youtube]

Can the [b]torn piece be restored[/b] so that the spectator can even keep it as an impossible souvenir? :) [/quote]

If you're looking for a restored version at the end , go for Nush Fung's Fusion , as someone mentioned earlier . I have fusion and it's a worker , you will be provided with 8 or ten gaff cards , however they don't teach you how to make gaff cards ... It will be good if you've knowledge on how to make the gaff and it isn't difficult .

As always , I'll wait for some hero who takes the bold initiative to get this and post a glorious review , hopefully ...
[quote]On Jan 21, 2016, Magician560 wrote:
If you're looking for a restored version at the end, go for Nash Fung's Fusion, as someone mentioned earlier. I have fusion and it's a worker[/quote]

Thank you. I like Nash Fung's performance on his [b]Color Fusion[/b] Torn and Restored routine.

[youtube]1J8uJuXUQRw[/youtube]

Can the [b]color of the torn piece[/b] in Victor Sanz's Contrast be changed as well?
Oh well I saw this video for the first time , I know Nash is very skilled , but the action of him rolling his " invincible sleeve " up continuously made me laugh a little ...

Anyway , back to Contrast , I remembered the trailer said the color of the torn piece can be changed ?
[quote]On Jan 21, 2016, Magician560 wrote:
Oh well I saw this video for the first time, I know Nash is very skilled[/quote]

But the instant color-changing transformation on the asymmetrical signed card is different from Nash Fung's [b]Color Fusion[/b].

Is the method revolutionary that I cannot apply from Alex's instructional material on symmetrical [b]Flap Cards[/b] construction?

[img]http://s23.postimg.cc/m87s5cznf/8499a_53ab35dc3bbb1.jpg[/img]
The Nash version looks like it's a lot of effort and steps to do it. What's with the rolling up the sleeve thing with no sleeve?
[quote]On Jan 21, 2016, Elliot Nicklas wrote:
The Nash version looks like it's a lot of effort and steps to do it. What's with the rolling up the sleeve thing with no sleeve? [/quote]

Yes, this looks like it will take practice to perfect. Making it seem like your hands are empty when they aren't isn't easy to do. This would look great in Guy Hollingworth's hands. Anyway, at least this Nash fellow does a full performance for the camera so you know exactly what you're getting.

The sleeve rolling thing is just a nervous tick or something similar. And it's nice he doesn't have some idiot shouting at an invisible person just off camera in the trailer!
Well I decided to take one for the team as well... I just placed my order for this, so I'm hoping it'll be here by monday. I'll be sure to post a review with my two cents when it comes.

Of course I still had some questions about this but I decided to push my skepticism aside and give it a chance. Trust me I know sansmind's track record all too well, but keep in mind even though this is a sansmind production, Victor Sanz is also the creator of the effect. Which was also the creator of Red Mint which I don't personally own, but I heard a lot of good things, I heard the quality of the gimmick was really good so let's hope this is no different.

Also I just really can't imagine the handling of the effect being that awkward. Even if it was, I'm sure anyone that has some card handling skills, or can manage an audience, or can misdirect should have no problem coming up with an alternate method for doing whatever you have to do. But of course I think everyone's main concern is the gimmick.. how good is the quality, any arts and crafts, reliability, longevity, loading/ditching ect. Only time will tell.

Either way I really like the effect, it's visual and impossible which is exactly the kind of magic I like to perform. I can't wait to use this as a finisher for my color changing deck routine. It would be nice if you could restore the piece at the end like in Color Fusion, but I think it looks good as is. It's still an impossible souvenir as long as they keep the torn piece. Both are similar in effect, but Contrast is much more direct. I like Color Fusion, it looks great but it seems like it takes a bit of time to perform and its a lot more hands on and requires a lot more fiddling. Anyway I'll post a detailed review as soon as I finish the dvd and get a chance to play with the gimmick a bit.

-Jameson
Jamo425 , will have to wait for your review ~ I'm also very interested in knowing the color changing of the last piece for Contrast .
Congrats Jameson for entering the Wingman hall of fame.
I received mine!! Just watched the DVD and gave it my first try. I can confirm the following

1. It's very clever. Nothing like what I thought it was. It's CLEVER!
2. The 3/4 piece you hold IS the signed card. Changes from blue to red. And you can immediately hand it back to spectator.
3. I thought it was not going to work like how they explained in the DVD. But it almost happened automatically. Takes about 5 mins of toying around to get down though.
4. Comes with gimmick. Well made. Looks like a pain to make. I am happy it comes with a gimmick rather than teaching us how to make these hard to make arts and crafts gimmicks.

I am very happy for the purchase. Highly, highly recommend this!
Thanks Hodinhyu, that gives me some peace of mind knowing that I didn't completely waste my money. Can't wait to play with it myself!
How are the angle, how streamlined is the handling and could you easily perform this on television (with the tv rights, of course). Could you also do this strolling? (How's the reset or could you have tons of cards set up?)
I could be wrong but it sounds like it only comes with one gimmick since he said "I'm glad it comes with A gimmick". So unless it does come with multiple gimmicks or you can build your own, I doubt you can have multiple cards set up. I am curious about the reset time also tho, as long as I don't have to duck into a corner for 5 mins (which I doubt as well) then I'm cool with a little bit of reset time. I can't see it being automatic.
The angle is pretty good. I first thought it's just for front angle, after testing with a gourd of friends. I think what's taking place happens too fast. I did it surrounded and no one had any idea. And most of my friends have seen a lot from me. Reaction was great they love it. Reset time is maybe 3-5 seconds. There are two versions of the trick. One you need to make some refill cards (or buy them). The other one which you also change the color of the corner in spectator's hand you don't need to make anything. The gimmick that comes with the DVD can be reused over and over. I actually prefer this handling. It gives one more phase to the magic and it happens in spectator's hand.
[quote]On Jan 22, 2016, HoDinhYu wrote:
I am very happy for the purchase. Highly, highly recommend this! [/quote]

[quote]On Jan 22, 2016, jamo425 wrote:
Can't wait to play with it myself! [/quote]

Hi HoDinhYu and Jameson,

Would you be so kind as to provide additional info in the checklist? You will help magicians to become wiser and informed purchasers.

1. [b]Performance[/b] - Issues related to close-up transformation deceptiveness, and angle vulnerability. Can the torn piece be changed and restored?
2. [b]Environment[/b] - To which environmental influences is the gimmick subjected during use?
3. [b]Handling[/b] - Issues related to naturalness, timing, and audience management
4. [b]Examinability[/b] - To which extent can the spectator inspect? How to ditch the gimmick?
5. [b]Reset time[/b] - Mean time between setup and use
6. [b]Aesthetics quality[/b] - Alignment precision, look, feel, sound, and finish
7. [b]Durability[/b] - How long does it last after repeated use?
8. [b]Serviceability[/b] - Ease of repair, part replacement, and new construction
9. [b]Transportation[/b] - Is the gimmick easy to carry and easy to hide?
10. [b]Quantity, size and weight[/b] - What is included in the package?
11. [b]Final assembly[/b] - Ready for use, Ready to assemble, Do-It-Yourself
12. [b]Materials[/b] - Are certain materials required to use but not included in the package? Refills?
13. [b]Storage[/b] - Does it require specific measures to store the gimmick properly?
14. [b]Safety[/b] - Provision of facilities for the safety of users and non-users
15. [b]Product policy[/b] - TV rights granted?
16. [b]Refund liability[/b] - Issues related to the right to a refund and product return
17. [b]Instructional quality[/b] - Issues related to video production and teaching qualities
18. [b]Usability[/b] - Ease of use, learning curve, and sleight difficulty
19. [b]Versatility[/b] - Potential for continued adaptation value to many different routines
20. [b]Perceived product value[/b] - Subjective impression by comparing with similar products

Thank you! :)
Samchak, I did buy this but I don't have it yet. I would be happy to review this in detail as soon as it comes in. I just ordered this yesterday so it should be here by monday (hopefully). The only question I can answer for you right now is that I know TV rights are not included.

Edit: sorry didn't read all of your questions. As far as I know, the torn piece cannot be restored as I'm sure they would have included that in the trailer/description. but you can change the piece in the spectators hand. Handmade gimmick is included, they teach two handlings the 3/4 color change and full card color change, and its fully examinable (post change, idk about before). This is all on the product page which you can check out here: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S20508
[quote]On Jan 23, 2016, jamo425 wrote:
Samchak, I did buy this but I don't have it yet. I would be happy to review this in detail as soon as it comes in. I just ordered this yesterday so it should be here by monday (hopefully). The only question I can answer for you right now is that I know TV rights are not included. [/quote]

Looking forward to seeing your review very soon. To be honest, I enjoy watching the trailer and being fooled by Victor Sanz's [b]Contrast[/b]. :D
[quote]On Jan 23, 2016, jamo425 wrote:
Edit: sorry didn't read all of your questions. As far as I know, the torn piece cannot be restored as I'm sure they would have included that in the trailer/description. but you can change the piece in the spectators hand. [/quote]

Thanks. That's my consideration in [b]Item #19[/b]. I'm okay with the gimmick that allows the instant 3/4 transformation. Wouldn't it be great if the handling of [b]Contrast[/b] allows the performer to adapt the element of Restoration with handlings by Guy Hollingworth, Daniel Garcia, Mathieu Bich, Blake Vogt, John Lovick, Gared Crawford, and Nash Fung? ;)
[quote]On Jan 22, 2016, HoDinhYu wrote:
The angle is pretty good. I first thought it's just for front angle, after testing with a gourd of friends. I think what's taking place happens too fast. I did it surrounded and no one had any idea. And most of my friends have seen a lot from me. Reaction was great they love it. Reset time is maybe 3-5 seconds. There are two versions of the trick. One you need to make some refill cards (or buy them). The other one which you also change the color of the corner in spectator's hand you don't need to make anything. The gimmick that comes with the DVD can be reused over and over. I actually prefer this handling. It gives one more phase to the magic and it happens in spectator's hand. [/quote]

Thank you for your answers. I would still really like to know how streamlined the handling is. Would you be able to perform this without any misdirection? Are there any fishy moves?
I would love it if the piece could be restored. Who knows, maybe it's possible. I don't know too many methods of a t&r but I do know of a few. Depending on how the gimmick works it may be doable. But unfortunately I won't know until I get my hands on this bad boy.. Nonetheless I still really like the effect as is, still very visual and impossible looking when you see their signature line up and the torn piece's back is a different color. Pretty mind boggling when you think about it, great idea by victor.

I just think we as magicians just think that way, if something gets torn, the logical thing that comes to us would be to restore it. But even though the spectator is left with two pieces, it still leaves an impossible souvenir (that I bet they would actually keep!) and a story for them to tell. That's my thinking at least and what sold me on it.

But jeez I'm counting the hours now waiting on this thing lol. Can't wait to use this with my color changing deck routine, I think it's a perfect fit to end with this.
Thinking ahead a little , if the corner is not restored , a spectator might loose the corner and after a while of time when they look at the three quarter card , they'll forget what exactly happened , while if the corner is restored , it leaves them with a strange looking one piece souvinier , when they look at it after some time , they'll probably still remember what happened ...

Maybe it's just me overthinking ...
I've heard the gimmick is quite flimsy and so could get quite messy quickly. Can anyone please confirm is this is true please? Thanks!
Fusion is the same here in terms of messiness . When performing fusion there's a lot of pocket management and switching involved , everything gets messy . But with enough practice , one will definitely get used to it in terms of management , a little messiness for a great reaction ? I will take that sacrifice .
But if the gimmick is not something that can be remade easily and yet becomes worn out pretty quickly then that's something that would make me question whether it's worth it. I'd like to buy something that will last a while.
By the nature of this effect : folding of CARDS are required , the gimmick is bond to wear out if extensively used . Cards are prone to wearing , it's unavoidable .

I'm saying this based on my initial thoughts . I don't own contrast yet though .
Ok, cool, thanks.
This is so clever! Did it on my first try and fooled myself in the mirror. Good buy. Contracts Victor Sans and SM!
Chad: Could you please answer my question about handling? Is it streamlined? Would it work on tv with the camera burning you? I mean the whole effect, not just the change.
[quote]On Jan 25, 2016, LankyHobo wrote:
But if the gimmick is not something that can be remade easily and yet becomes worn out pretty quickly then that's something that would make me question whether it's worth it. I'd like to buy something that will last a while. [/quote]

Can anyone who owns this answer the above question? Of course if it's card based it's going to wear. Wonder if you can replicate the gimmick once it wears out? Anyone?
Rnk, I will still be posting a detailed review on Contrast and will be happy to answer anyone's questions.. that is as soon as it comes.. unfortunately my package is running late. It was supposed to be here Monday afternoon. I'm quite annoyed but with the huge snowstorm that hit us over the weekend I guess I can understand it being a little late. So I'm crossing my fingers for tomorrow.. but til then, sorry bud, not much I can do :/
PatrickGregoire, I don't understand your question. But if you are talking about if misdirection is needed in this routine, nope. Yes I think it'd work on TV. Nothing to hide from the handling really.

RNK, it's card based and it's going to wear. You can replicate the gimmick. The gimmick should last you a long while though. I've been doing it a lot lately, it's actually pretty durable.
Creator: Victor Sanz
Publisher: Sans Minds
MSRP: $ 35
Skill Level: all
DVD Run time: 43 min

Type of effect: Torn & Restored Color Change

Manufacturer's Write Up:

Contrast is a single card color change that you can do to a SIGNED and TORN card. The change is extremely visual and can be done openly right in front of the spectators. Once the magical moment happens the card can immediately be handed out for examination. You spectator can also keep the impossible souvenir.

Words cannot explain how impossible this effect is!

*Hand crafted gimmick included
*Two handling: Full card color change and 3/4 card color change
*Fully examinable

*TV rights not included with purchase. Please contact SansMinds for TV rights.

How accurate is the ad copy? Nothing misleading

What's in the box? Hand crafted gimmick fully assembled and 43 minute DVD

Key points: Looks more difficult than it is, but the gimmick does a lot of the heavy lifting for you.

How are the production values: Sans Minds always makes great DVDs, excellent production values and so much content.

Is it well made: Very well made and so glad it's fully built, I can't imagine how to make another one.

Is it well taught: Herman from Sans Minds is your teacher and Jason does all of the live performances. This DVD has everything you need, tips, FAQs, how to, variations and step by step moves.

My thoughts (what I personally liked/disliked): I loved everything about this, from the extensive DVD to the crazy awesome gimmick.

Storage? Does it "pack flat?" The gimmick and a deck of cards is all you need.

Does it "play big?" this one is a "fooler" - it starts off as a torn and restored card trick and transforms into a color change.

How practical is this in the real world? (can it really be done?) absolutely, I'm a believer!

How original is this idea? I've seen nothing like it before!

Overall score: 10/10

+ If you want to see my full review with even more of my opinions and ideas you can visit this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evR7yBGyyMY
You should be doing more reviews DavidKenney! Very nicely done. I love this effect. It's such a fooler and ends clean.
Curious if it is available in red to blue and blue to red?
I just got this , four words : this is really good .

You can only change it from blue to red with the provided gimmick .

Not sure how long the gimmick can last , but I've spent a good one hour playing with it and it's still working like a charm , still looks new .

My advice will be to put some tape ( just normal tape ) at the back of the special area ( you'll understand what I'm saying if you have the gimmick . ) That area requires do**le si**d ta*e placed on . Due to the working that part will probably wear out the easiest . Also it won't be seen so no worries on placing some protective tapes there .

I really like this , one of the best SansMinds release for me .
I finally received mine earlier this week, shipping took friggin forever.. longest I ever had to wait for a package but that's besides the point. let's get into the review...

So I had a chance to play around with this and I have to say this thing is awesome, I absolutely love it. As magician560 said, the handcrafted gimmick that is comes with only allows it to change from Blue to red. BUT... the good news is that you can definitely reconstruct the gimmick in such a way that it changes from red to blue. it wouldn't be too hard to build really, once you see how it's built you'll see exactly how it's made. It is a card based gimmick, but does require something extra that you may or may not have laying around. I haven't seen any other gimmick like this, it is a very clever idea. The materials used are fairly ordinary. It does not teach you how to construct your own gimmick, but I don't think it's necessary cause like I said, once you see it you should be able to figure it out.

They teach two handlings, one where the extra piece changes as well, and the other where the extra piece is stays the way it is and you change 3/4 of the card, so your spectator will be left with an impossible souvenir. The handling is very easy, a couple moves that have to be done but their so easy it's hard to even consider them moves at all. There is a slight set-up, which can be done before hand, or in front of the spectator with a little audience management. During either handing, there is a moment that requires a slight bit of misdirection. However it's a very small moment, and is done in the action of getting your sharpie out. I can garauntee no one would ever notice. Btw, If you have some knowledge of card magic/card sleights then you can probably manage to adjust the handling so you don't need a set up. Anyway, during the moment of magic, you put the deck away so there wont be any heat on that, then you do the change, hand out their signed card... then duck and cover because everyone's minds will be exploding around you and unless you want to get covered in brains, it's best to duck and cover.

The change is a little knacky at first, but nothing that a few minutes of practice won't solve. Probably the only complaint I have, is that the change is a little noisy. Some ambient noise will cover this, but I'd be a little worried to perform this if it's very quiet.

Now while you can do the full card change right away, the 3/4 does require an additional gimmick to be made which they do teach. It's not very hard to make, and considering the effect, I'd say it's well worth the time. You can have a bunch of these set up if you want, but your only going to need one of the main gimmick.

As others have said the gimmick packs very small, in fact it packs smaller even than a card would. So storage shouldn't be an issue at all.

Overall, I really love this effect. I personally prefer the 3/4 change so you leave them with an impossible souvenir and a great story to tell afterwards. I'd deduct half a point for the noise that the change makes, but otherwise this is a solid, workable routine. In my opinion this effect would be worthy to close with just because of how impossible the effect is. Highly recommend this.

9.5/10

-Jameson
My review will be published in Magic Magazine, probably not this issue but next issue (I am just submitting it now). I'll let you read it then but I am pleasantly surprised (I have been pretty critical with SansMinds in the past).
Hi Peter, could you post your review here beforehand? It would be helpful. I like the look of this but it seems to have quite polarised opinions. Those that love it and those that really dislike the gimmick saying it's very flimsy and will break easily. Many thanks.
I got one. Buy it. Period.
[quote]On Feb 23, 2016, LankyHobo wrote:
Hi Peter, could you post your review here beforehand? It would be helpful. I like the look of this but it seems to have quite polarised opinions. Those that love it and those that really dislike the gimmick saying it's very flimsy and will break easily. Many thanks. [/quote]

I really can't. If we pre-published the material that is included there would not be much incentive to buy such a great product. We can talk personally via PM or email though if you would like.
Thanks Peter I totally understand no problem. I guess it was only the durability of the gimmick that I'm wondering about. Read some reviews saying it's badly made and feels like it'll tear easily. Please feel free to pm me. Cheers.
I've been performing this a lot. It's actually very durable. For those who commented base on how it looks might not have actually worked it. Just my 2 cents.
[quote]On Feb 23, 2016, LankyHobo wrote:
Hi Peter, could you post your review here beforehand? It would be helpful. I like the look of this but it seems to have quite polarised opinions. Those that love it and those that really dislike the gimmick saying it's very flimsy and will break easily. Many thanks. [/quote]

You keep saying that about the gimmick but no one has said that anywhere I can find. There are eight positive reviews in this thread and zero negative. Not sure what more you want. Either you take posters opinions or you don't. There aren't any polarized opinions.

It's made of card stock so its durability is equal to that of card stock. It is well put together but like any card gaff it will eventually wear out. Not because it's poorly made but because it's the nature of the material. If you're expecting a lifetime of use then you will eventually be disappointed. It's not flimsy at all, it's actually very sturdy. It just feels like you're fishing for something.

It's a very simple but clever illusion. A little knacky at first. Happy I purchased.
I'm not fishing for anything. I'm talking about reviews I saw on penguin. http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S20508#reviews
Very much differences of opinion. I'm glad everyone here thinks it's great and no doubt I'll get as it looks great. But I think being a little over cautious when it comes to Sansminds products is neither strange or unreasonable. But my apologies all the same as I wasn't fishing but I didn't mean to sound as though I was doubting anybody's opinion. Thanks.
Ahh, I just read through them, now I get it. Not sure why people are complaining about the materials (it's card stock, nothing else could be used). Mine seems like it will last for a while. Will it last thousands of performances, no probably not. The change is knacky. The main handling version I haven't gotten regularly yet, but there's a change in the additional handling that worked the first time I tried it and is very reliable. Not sure if it's how my gaff was made that makes it work or the movement is easier for me. Anyhow, I like that change, it feels like the hand position is fair and the movement is natural. There is a bit of issue with noise for something you need, I haven't figured out how to minimize it yet but I'm sure there's a simple solution. The other complaint I saw were the angles, they go over variations to minimize it. I can see how angles could be an issue, without giving away anything, the way it's created creates an opening that could be visible. I don't perform for big groups so not an issue for me. As long as they're in front not a problem at all. As with all effects, I only care if it's a stunner when done in a proper setting. I don't need every trick to be something I do every time every place. It's a little overpriced at $35 (in full fairness I bought it for less so it was worth the cost to me). I really like it, trying to integrate it with Color Fusion for something quite special. Hope this helps.
Nice one, thanks very much Slackerking. Sorry, I should have explained properly earlier what I was referring to as I realise I sounded a bit fishing. Anyway, sounds good. And yeah Color Fusion I remember was definitely cool. Many thanks!
Hey guys, a little update after messing around with this for a while..

One, in regards to the noise, something that I found helps but doesn't completely eliminate it is to hold the card a bit deeper into your fingers from the starting position and lightly squeeze. Those who own this will know why this helps I think. Also you can lay the card flat and "wave" or "rub" your hand over the card to make it appear as if it changes slowly. Hard to describe without revealing anything, but I hope those that own this can understand what I mean as well. But the second way of changing that I mention can make the gimmick work nearly silent if you practice.

Two, in regards to angles.. though they do mention something in the video that helps, I have found a much much better way that will make this virtually angle proof.. instead of doing the change off to the side or with one hand. Hold it at chest level, but hold the card with both hands. Then let go with one of your hands right before the change. Angle problem solved..

Lastly I would like to announce and confirm that you can indeed create your own gimmick. I said that this is possible before but since then I have successfully constructed my own gimmick and works just as well as the one I received. This opens up the doors to creating a gimmick with ANY cards you like. If you are familiar with making card gaffs, then you will find this is very doable as long as you have the materials. Figuring out how to make it is the easy part. And though it was a bit of a pain to make, it wasn't anything too crazy compared to other stuff that I've dealt with. If you can deal with making some of shin lims gaffs then this shouldn't be much trouble at all.

Anyway hope this helps!
Great suggestions Jamo425. Thanks for posting them.
SO.... is this still holding up a year and a half later ?
Are you asking about its physical durability or if people are still performing it?
Both I suppose. Gimmick holding up and is the effect still getting good reactions .... anyone come up with tips, ideas on handling, presentation...