(Close Window)
Topic: Manipulation with large / jumbo playing cards
I am trying to find sources that deal with manipulations with large playing cards - Books , DVDs or web sites etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Thankyou

Stuart Brown
Derby magic Circle
England (UK)
Mahka Tendo has some of that on his video. I also have a segment that teaches some basic moves on a tape called the Magic of Hungary. It has some nice ideas and moves that you might want to check out.

Kyle
Where would one find Mahka Tendo's video?
I got mine when he sold them at his booth at SAM National Convention. He will be there again this year.

Kyle
Is it performance, or instructional?

Also, in answer to stuartmagic's question: Sanada used to do 360 degree circle fans with jumbo cards. You can learn the fan from Charlie Frye's eccentrick's video.
Mahka's video is performance only, but you can get something from it by watching it.

Kyle
There is a performance only of the late Richard Ross doing his idea with jumbo cards on his video from Stevens magic.

Just a quick fans and production with a vanish.

Interesting handling.
I have also seen the Richard Ross video. It is performance only, but the quality is pretty good that you should be able to learn from it as well.

Kyle
Learn from these videos... not copy!
Awww thanks Kevin. Great point. yes, learn from them and then take that information and develop your own routines with what you learn. Do not copy them.

Kyle
No prob Kyle, I wasn't implying you were suggesting to copy them, just pointing out that these are original concepts, let them inspire you, don't copy.
It was a good point to mention as many magicians tend to fall into the trap of creating acts that mimic those they see on videos.

Kyle
Too true, it's better just to be inspired by famous acts, yet not copy them. Too often we see clones and immitators of the famous manipulators such as Channing Pollock and Cardini. To put it into perspective: The Mona Lisa would sell for millions, but a print of it would only sell for dollars.
That was a very eloquent way to look at it.
Yes, but it's true. Every word of it!
I know, I was complementing your ability with words.
I think the best and incredible manipulation with jumbo cards is fism winner from Japan Takamitsu Ushida. The japanese T.V. has a video from the Japan FISM Gala show and the entire act of him. Try to find it. That's in order you can have an idea.
I agree. If you want to see some seriously good jumbo card manipulations check out Takamitsu Uchida's act. He's a past FISM winner and he does stuff with jumbo and GIANT cards that will blow your mind.

Unbelievable. You can check out a review of his act [url=http://www.magicweek.co.uk/magic_reviews/review_convention_blackpool_highlights_2004.htm]Here![/url]

All the best.
Wow that sounds great. I wish I had the chance to see the act. This is a perfect example of someone willing to step up and make his manipulation act different and unique. Be creative with it.

Kyle
Wow, circle cards. I though Sanada and myself were the only people who still used those...
If I remember well Peki does something in his card manipulation video with jumbo cards.Also McBride in Manipulations without tears but with gimmicked ones.
Yes, McBride sells the gimmicked jumbo card fans. I also know that Tony Clarke sells a nice jumbo card fan that comes with video as well. That could be a nice addition to a routine if it fits your style and character.

Kyle
Stuartmagic,

So to answer your original question, there are no sources/instruction for the manipulation of Jumbo, Giant, or large playing cards.

Seems this is still underground material as most good magic. I will not surface in our lifetime.
I use the appearing jumbo fan that is gimmicked in a routine I've been doing for about ten years. I learned my handling from Pete Peterson. The gimmick is the same as McBrides and Tony's but is older, but the opening move is different.

However, if you are talking about producing single jumbo cards you might look at Peter Marvey's FISM routine. My understanding is that the first or one of the first people to use jumbo cards for manipulation was Jack Miller many years ago.
Jack Miller book Tricks with Jumbo Cards, has card tricks and I believe no stage manipulation as we are discussing. I never owned the book, but the advertising never mentioned manipulation or productions. Anyone can correct me if I am wrong.

Jeff McBride's card to Jumbo is not like Brother Hammand's version, Fan to See. McBride has improved the design so it can be effected by a simple flik of the wrist. I like the new design and worth the high price asked.

Yes, the Japanese have some wonderful performers. They have unique ideas and are always a joy to watch. I was at a national convention once and watched the talent show. The japanese performers had some really great acts. I wondered why more were not in the finals, because I would have voted them thru.

United States has not produced a great manipulator since Lance Burton as I remember. Seems we need to work a little harder to join the rest of the world. Just my take on things. I still cannot believe some of the great acts that come up all those unique ideas.
For those interested I see that the Hocus Pocus site has two DVDs' that specifically deal with manipulation with jumbo cards that seem interesting. I have ordered them both so let me know if you want to know what they are like . They are "Jumbo card manipulations" and "Manipulations with Stephane Vanel"

Stuart Brown
Derby Magic Circle
England (UK)
I have seen all the acts that you have mentioned above and my opinion is that none of them come close to Davido`s FISM winning act. It looks very magical.
I have Takamitsu Uchida act from FISM video but I was not very impressed. I also remember an act from FISM 1988 with canes and jumbo cards. I have no idea what was his name but I should get the video next week. This act would blow your mind.

I forgot to mention that you can buy Harvey DVD from Camirand Academy.

From France comes F.I.S.M. award-winner Cyril Harvey with this astonishing collection of ground-breaking Jumbo card manipulations for stage. Over fifteen Jumbo card techniques carefully explained step by step !

This DVD features the next generation of sleights and routines for manipulators, drawn directly from Cyril Harvey’s F.I.S.M. act, in addition to material he regularly uses as one of the busiest stage performers and magic lecturers in Europe.

Some techniques : Arm concealment • Fan steal and Throw fan • Splitting a fan in two • Two hands circular fan • One hand circular fan • S fan • Arm spread • Spinning cards • Series of fans production • Partial back palm card production • Tenkai palm card production • Partial back palm fan production… and more.

Plus : Cyril Harvey’s original techniques with regular playing cards, many of which have never been released before ! This is stage magic for the new millennium.

Bonus : Cyril Harvey’s 1991 F.I.S.M. award-winning Spinning Tops act.

DVD • Instant access to each technique, effect and explanation.
VIDEO • Multi-Region Encoding, Dolby Digital Sound, Interactive Menus.
AUDIO • English (voice-over by David Acer) 106 minutes.

*Note: Audio default language is English. English voice-over by David Acer.

Our item: VL-023D, this DVD has Multi-regions Encoding and will play in all countries.

http://www.camirandmagic.com/vl_023d.html
Wow! bojanbarisic,

You are really up on all your manipulation information. We/I thank you for your information. It is the kind of stuff I have been looking for for years.

Were is Croatia?
I saw a guy named Aaron from Hawaii preform at PCAM. He was manipulating about 3-4 jumbo decks which was stellar magic.