(Close Window)
Topic: Shell Question
I have a Walking Liberty shell, it barely fits over a coin and is not easy to remove, is there a way or someone to send it to, that could make it into an expanded shell.
Not sure if that can be done or not. If you're really married to the shell you might be better off having a few matching coins cut down and remilled to fit it ala Dean's set by Jamie Schoolcraft.
[quote]On Feb 23, 2016, shomemagic wrote:
I have a Walking Liberty shell, it barely fits over a coin and is not easy to remove, is there a way or someone to send it to, that could make it into an expanded shell. [/quote]

Have you dropped it?

Try putting a silk between the shell and the coin and taking it in and out multiple times. You can expand the sides with a golf pencil.....carefullyy
Not all coins have exactly the same diameter, especially older coins. Maybe you just need to try it over different coins. Taking it to a coin shop is one way if that is possible for you.
How did you end up with it? If you got it "used" it might be part of a custom set that came with cut down coins.
Http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=417168&forum=202
RCP gave very good advice. I have learned from Eric Jones to fix the shell problem with a silk.
I have use this once because it drops on the floor.
There's also the technique for repairing a shell using a Bic Lighter. Using the butt end of the lighter you work the curved part of the lighter around the inside of the shell to smooth it out. Do it slowly without much pressure or you may over-bend the rim of the shell.

Mike
Thanks to all for this great information.. keep them coming!
David Roth had an advice on his expert coin magic dvd. The English penny is slightly larger that the half dollar. If you press it gently in the shell and use a bang ring to separate them. The shell should be expanded slightly. don't do this on a cut down shell.
Something I've always wondered - is there a good way to do the opposite of this? If you manage to over-stretch a shell, is there any way to make it a better fit?
[quote]On Mar 9, 2016, tonsofquestions wrote:
Something I've always wondered - is there a good way to do the opposite of this? If you manage to over-stretch a shell, is there any way to make it a better fit? [/quote]

Yes, put a silk and a coin in the shell and than roll the edge on a hard surface