(Close Window)
Topic: Paul Brook LIVE: Sunday April 10th
Message: Posted by: Paul Brook (Mar 15, 2016 05:06AM)
Hi Everyone,

Hope you are doing well and your mentalism is mental.

Tim finally got me to press the 'green light' on this Penguin Live Lecture thing so on Sunday 10th April I will be in the Penguin Live studio sharing my ideas and secrets with you.

As I seldom lecture this will be your chance to enjoy my performance, see some of my classic routines in action and get a number of tips that will help with your mentalism in general. Even for those who know some of the effects you will pick up a number of nice psychological subtleties that have not been in print.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
This will be a strictly 'playing card free' zone, none of the mentalism pieces will use playing cards in any way. Most of the effects will only require everyday items or items that a mentalist may already own. There is no mental magic here just good old fashioned, hard-hitting workable mentalism.

If the idea of a non-mental magic lecture without using any playing excites you then jump of board at this link - http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/6663


Here are some kind words from fellow performers:

-------------------------

"I love Paul's approach to mentalism. He always comes at things from new angles and with a practical real world method. That, today, is refreshing." - John Archer

-------------------------

"Brilliant out of the box thinking, contemporary, cutting edge and, in many cases, original. Paul Brook has been a force in mentalism for over 10 years. His approach is always direct, uncluttered and wonderfully presented." - Marc Spelmann

-------------------------

"Definitely one to watch and enjoy! Paul Brook is a major creative talent in magic and mentalism, and has absolutely wonderful material to share. Best of all, he isnít too 'over-exposed'. So many of his unique ideas, concepts and creations will probably be new to you. This is going to be great!" - Ian Rowland

-------------------------

"Paul is one of the good guys. He's able to create fresh and interesting approaches to mentalism and has the ability to present them to his audiences in engaging and intriguing ways. What I really like about his thinking is that he always creates effects that are practical and commercial. In other words, you'll use them. I'm sure he'll teach you some great effects and you'll learn a lot from watching him perform. Enjoy!" - Marc Paul

-------------------------

"Paul Brook's work in mentalism, with its origins in a deep professional study of genuine psychology, is fascinating and inspiring. He bridges the gap between the modern and traditional styles of performance, with material that is rooted in real human behaviour, whilst still practical and workable. At their best, his effects undo the audienceís every expectation about the format of a 'trick', whilst still retaining their 'real world' edge." - Phill Smith

-------------------------

"Paul's body of work and presentation style has been a huge influence on me. His attention to detail and exquisite exploitation of the tiniest subtleties have led to him creating some beautiful miracles, several of which I have used close-up, on stage and on radio. Prolific as a creator, generous with ideas and a complete gentleman, too, his work demands any serious mystery performers' attention." - Anthony Jacquin

-------------------------


Really looking forward to sharing my thoughts and ideas with you all - http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/6663

Cheers,

Paul
Message: Posted by: phillsmiff (Mar 15, 2016 05:22AM)
I occasionally muse upon how it would be nice to unknow something in magic and see an effect for the first time - honestly, most of my short list of effects that I would love to see with clean eyes are from PB. Excited to see the Penguin lecture.

Phill
Message: Posted by: bevbevvybev (Mar 15, 2016 07:56AM)
Good luck mate! I'm sure it will be awesome.
Message: Posted by: Anthony Black (Mar 15, 2016 02:44PM)
Bring on the Brook!
Message: Posted by: Paul Brook (Mar 16, 2016 06:27AM)
[quote]On Mar 15, 2016, phillsmiff wrote:
I occasionally muse upon how it would be nice to unknow something in magic and see an effect for the first time - honestly, most of my short list of effects that I would love to see with clean eyes are from PB. Excited to see the Penguin lecture.

Phill [/quote]


Phill, I know you are a friend, but even still, that is such a beautiful and kind thing for you to say.

Thank you so much :-)
Message: Posted by: Paul Brook (Mar 16, 2016 06:28AM)
[quote]On Mar 15, 2016, bevbevvybev wrote:
Good luck mate! I'm sure it will be awesome. [/quote]

Cheers, Bev, Will you be tuning in?
Message: Posted by: Paul Brook (Mar 16, 2016 06:30AM)
[quote]On Mar 15, 2016, Anthony Black wrote:
Bring on the Brook! [/quote]


Anthony, I imagined you saying that like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNrt7_DbLG0
Message: Posted by: Anthony Black (Mar 16, 2016 09:16AM)
You would not of been far off... ;)
Message: Posted by: Paul Brook (Mar 30, 2016 05:19AM)
Dan Harlan has just added his video introduction. The time must be getting closer - http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/6663
Message: Posted by: Mr. Mindbender (Apr 2, 2016 10:28AM)
I have much of Paul's material and am so looking forward to his lecture!
Message: Posted by: Paul Brook (Apr 5, 2016 02:55AM)
[quote]On Apr 2, 2016, Mr. Mindbender wrote:
I have much of Paul's material and am so looking forward to his lecture! [/quote]


I'm looking forward to doing this lecture :-)

I think there is a live tweet function so make sure to use it if you want more information on any topic I'm talking about.

Also, do you guys want me to talk about anything in specific after my set-list, any topic you'd like to hear my views on?

Cheers,

Paul
Message: Posted by: WooverM (Apr 5, 2016 05:23AM)
[quote]On Apr 5, 2016, Paul Brook wrote:
[quote]On Apr 2, 2016, Mr. Mindbender wrote:
I have much of Paul's material and am so looking forward to his lecture! [/quote]


I'm looking forward to doing this lecture :-)

I think there is a live tweet function so make sure to use it if you want more information on any topic I'm talking about.

Also, do you guys want me to talk about anything in specific after my set-list, any topic you'd like to hear my views on?

Cheers,

Paul [/quote]
I'll be tuning in, I have some topics below for discussion and I'd love to hear your thoughts on any/all of them if time permits.
*Instant S******g/DR/PS/Assistants if, how and when to use them
*Claims and disclaimers during a show and during walkaround
*Justifications and should everything need to be justified and congruent?(I.e. Center T***s for a psychological persona, PW with a pencil after using a sharpie through the act)
*Taking chances, statistical and situational guesses - when to do it, how to help them forget the misses and how to take credit of every situation that arises for your favour
*Believability and the willing suspension of disbelief - what are your thoughts about Psychokinetic demonstrations that do not involve human beings(metal bending, levitation etc...) and mental magic/magic mixed in a mentalism performance
*Approach, introduction and openers in both stand up and close up situations
*Marketing strategies, common mistakes and good ways to actively approach bookers
*Visible compromise vs invisible compromise
*What makes an mental effect more memorable and in what ways can we aid it being more memorable in the long term

Thanks in advance and looking forward to the lecture
Message: Posted by: saysold1 (Apr 5, 2016 08:33AM)
Looking forward!

I would enjoy hearing perhaps an analysis of your own character and how you developed it.
Message: Posted by: Paul Brook (Apr 6, 2016 04:08AM)
[quote]On Apr 5, 2016, WooverM wrote:
[quote]On Apr 5, 2016, Paul Brook wrote:
[quote]On Apr 2, 2016, Mr. Mindbender wrote:
I have much of Paul's material and am so looking forward to his lecture! [/quote]


I'm looking forward to doing this lecture :-)

I think there is a live tweet function so make sure to use it if you want more information on any topic I'm talking about.

Also, do you guys want me to talk about anything in specific after my set-list, any topic you'd like to hear my views on?

Cheers,

Paul [/quote]
I'll be tuning in, I have some topics below for discussion and I'd love to hear your thoughts on any/all of them if time permits.
*Instant S******g/DR/PS/Assistants if, how and when to use them
*Claims and disclaimers during a show and during walkaround
*Justifications and should everything need to be justified and congruent?(I.e. Center T***s for a psychological persona, PW with a pencil after using a sharpie through the act)
*Taking chances, statistical and situational guesses - when to do it, how to help them forget the misses and how to take credit of every situation that arises for your favour
*Believability and the willing suspension of disbelief - what are your thoughts about Psychokinetic demonstrations that do not involve human beings(metal bending, levitation etc...) and mental magic/magic mixed in a mentalism performance
*Approach, introduction and openers in both stand up and close up situations
*Marketing strategies, common mistakes and good ways to actively approach bookers
*Visible compromise vs invisible compromise
*What makes an mental effect more memorable and in what ways can we aid it being more memorable in the long term

Thanks in advance and looking forward to the lecture [/quote]

Hi Woover,

Thanks for taking the time to write all of these questions.

Covering such a diverse question base could be a lecture in itself. I think I will leave the marketing side of things till another time, possibly another Live lecture?

I am already covering a number of the points you have raised within the material in the lecture, but there is time after the lecture for a discussion with Dan. In this time I would be happy to focus on some of these points where possible.

Is there any one things you would like to have my opinion on above all else?

Cheers,

Paul
Message: Posted by: Paul Brook (Apr 6, 2016 04:12AM)
[quote]On Apr 5, 2016, saysold1 wrote:
Looking forward!

I would enjoy hearing perhaps an analysis of your own character and how you developed it. [/quote]

Great to have you as part of the live audience, Brett :-)

Will be happy to talk about my character and the different development stages it has had, it's been added to the list.

Cheers,

Paul
Message: Posted by: WooverM (Apr 6, 2016 05:10AM)
[quote]On Apr 6, 2016, Paul Brook wrote:
Hi Woover,

Thanks for taking the time to write all of these questions.

Covering such a diverse question base could be a lecture in itself. I think I will leave the marketing side of things till another time, possibly another Live lecture?

I am already covering a number of the points you have raised within the material in the lecture, but there is time after the lecture for a discussion with Dan. In this time I would be happy to focus on some of these points where possible.

Is there any one things you would like to have my opinion on above all else?

Cheers,

Paul [/quote]
Hey Paul,

Thanks for the response, I appreciate you covering some of the topics and taking time to listen to the community.

Above all else those topics are things I have struggled to find a clear answer for myself:
1 - Approach, introduction and openers in both stand up and close up situations
2 - Justifications, congruent and motivated actions, should everything be congruent?
3 - Psychokinetic demonstrations, mental magic and magic in a mentalism performance

If I had to choose one, the first one is the most important for me to hear your views on. The reason I still have left in the 2nd and 3rd is that I've had a eye opening moment for me. A lay friend of mine figured out instantly how a PW for a 3 digit number during walk-around and an Oz Pearlman's type of envelope confabulation with DWriting during stand-up worked when he went with me to see a magician perform it even though he saw it for the first time; and on the same show he was Pre-S***ed with a mentalist CT his pin number but he believed his mind was read when he was on stage with the 'psychological illusionist'.

I wonder if sometimes we don't take the time to justify our actions and the audience sees right through it or was it the fact that it was a magician(with no logical disconnect or a fake process) and not a mentalist that made his mental effects obvious to him and I fear that our audiences are sometimes far kinder than they let on.
Message: Posted by: Tony Iacoviello (Apr 10, 2016 09:47AM)
Paul:

I'm really looking forward to this.
Have fun!


Tony
Message: Posted by: Ken Dyne (Apr 11, 2016 01:04AM)
Looking forward to watching this!
Message: Posted by: Tony Iacoviello (Apr 11, 2016 08:42AM)
Hey Ken, you did get a couple mentions. :)
Message: Posted by: Paul Brook (Apr 11, 2016 10:40AM)
[quote]On Apr 10, 2016, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Paul:

I'm really looking forward to this.
Have fun!


Tony [/quote]

Hi Tony,

I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed being there :-)

Cheers,

Paul
Message: Posted by: Paul Brook (Apr 11, 2016 10:45AM)
[quote]On Apr 11, 2016, Ken Dyne wrote:
Looking forward to watching this! [/quote]



Aww too kind man :-) I think I said something nice about you at one point but my brain refuses to call you Ken Dyne ;-)
Message: Posted by: Paul Brook (Apr 11, 2016 10:51AM)
[quote]On Apr 11, 2016, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Hey Ken, you did get a couple mentions. :) [/quote]

Ken's marketing Kingdom is so powerful it dominates all...or it could be because he's a clever cookie and a great guy...but don't him I said that ;-)
Message: Posted by: Paul Brook (Apr 11, 2016 11:02AM)
Had so much fun doing this lecture, some of the unexpected highlights for me were slamming a book into a participant's face, me and Dan Harlan doing Columbo impressions and the swift dive into 'pocket writing depravity'.

Thanks to all this who tuned in live and send in a whole list of great questions and for those who travelled from quite a shocking distance to sit in the physical audience.

Very honoured.

If you enjoyed the lecture then remember to share your thoughts with others by leaving a Penguin review for me.

Cheers,

Paul
Message: Posted by: n361128 (Jun 11, 2016 10:15AM)
I'm particularly interested in Imp possible - although one of the reviews says it isn't fully explained. Im not sure what was missed out ? Is it fully published eleswhere ? And how import is the bit that not explained ? This penguin live download was going to be my next purchase - just a little unsure now
Message: Posted by: Paul Brook (Jun 14, 2016 10:10AM)
[quote]On Jun 11, 2016, n361128 wrote:
I'm particularly interested in Imp possible - although one of the reviews says it isn't fully explained. Im not sure what was missed out ? Is it fully published eleswhere ? And how import is the bit that not explained ? This penguin live download was going to be my next purchase - just a little unsure now [/quote]

It is fully published in 'The Book Of Lies', however, I do fully explain the effect in the Penguin Live lecture. What I didn't do in the lecture is explain the type of impression device that I use (as it's not mine to explain) and that is what the reviewer must have meant as the effect methodology is indeed explained.

Hope this helps :-)
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Jun 16, 2016 11:00PM)
Well, how did you guys like the lecture?

Sounds like a fun event.

Ray
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Jun 21, 2016 08:24AM)
[quote]On Jun 16, 2016, Magical Dimensions wrote:
Well, how did you guys like the lecture?

Sounds like a fun event.

Ray [/quote]



Thanks, I learn what I wanted to know by the silents.



Best
Ray