(Close Window)
Topic: The Gallows by Mark Shortland vs. Psychic Hangman by Keith Fields
Which one provides the easiest method as far as the books are concerned? I would like to be able to focus more on the performance.Thank you for you help and insight.
I do not know either effect.

But let me ask you two questions:
Why are you looking for the easiest method?

Why aren't you looking for the [i]best method[/i] to archieve your desired performance goal?

Any method should be practiced enough so you can do it without thinking too much about it.
Depending on the method, this takes a lot of work, of course.
But in the end, your methods and everything about your act should aim for maximum impact and entertainment.
And not for you having an easy life.
Let me speak somewhere between the two of you. Everyone wants to know, among other things, how manageable the method is for performing an effect. It is one of many questions that the inquiring performer might ask, it is not the most important of the questions but, in a specific thread, one is free to ask that question without asking all of the others. Given the option of performing two similar effects, and knowing one would not perform both in the same act, that is a consideration worth asking about.

George
If the effect is the same on the audience, there is no reason not to look for the easiest method. The less to go wrong, the more you can concentrate on performance.

Yes, everything you intend to perform should be practiced (and scripted) till it's second nature. Certainly if a easier method is also a weaker effect, then it's an important consideration. But in the case that we're talking about similar effects, nothing wrong with choosing easier. As many wise performers have echoed - Effect is everything.
I finally rolled the dice and invested in Gallows. Believed it or not I got it at a pretty hefty discount from Hocus Pocus. $39.95. That's 80% off the retail price of $199.99 . I like the concept and you get a couple of bonus routines you can do with of without the Gallows. Overall I'm very pleased with the clear and easy method. It allows you to concentrate on the presentation.
Even I bought Gallows from Hocus Pocus on sale ......This can play very big on stage...

Am constructing the stand to Hang myself.... :-)
Easiest method also comes into play when you don't perform much. There is not much to recall.
I believe the most brilliant part about a Hangman themed Book Test is that you can openly fish and no one is any the wiser.
Amazingly with Keith Fields' Psychic Hangman you don't even need to fish for anything. You're already nearly half way to where you need to be before you start the game of hangman... and the spectator immediately but unknowingly and unwittingly openly informs you of everything you need to know in the most benign and innocent way during the very first few moments of the Hangman game.

Importantly, the method by which the Psychic Hangman booktest works isn't simply applied, or adapted or tacked onto a hangman presentation... but rather it is perfectly dovetailed into, and in sync with, the presentation of the game of Hangman. While this isn't an essential methodological requirement for a Hangman booktest routine the fact that it has this quality adds hugely to the robustness of the effect and means that everything proceeds exactly as it ought to.

It provides the potential of a very strong and clean piece of mentalism within a potentially very entertaining framework.

To up the stakes and add even more pace to the routine I came up with the idea of having several words chosen by several spectators sat next to each other and then just one hangman game is 'assembled' as it's played against all the words at the same time. A bit like the way a chess master might play several chess games at the same time.

Claiming to be excellent at playing Psychic Hangman but useless at playing normal hangman nicely sets up the routine during which you miss with your guesses at the letters for all the words right up until the 'man' is one move away from being hanged. At this point you decide it's time to start playing 'Psychic Hangman' and you are able to save the man from being hanged by either psychically getting every letter without a mistake and knowing where it goes... or by simply suddenly knowing all the words.
Just finished my gallows. All I need is to stain it and I'm ready to go. Mark did a great job including the photographic plans (including measurements). All I used was a sawbox, hammer, nails, screws,pin hinges, and woodglue. I'm very impressed with how small it packs down and how quickly it can be setup. I look forward to using this in my 2017 season.
Here is a pic
Looks Great :-) .....
[quote]On Dec 9, 2016, magicsachin wrote:
Looks Great :-) ..... [/quote]
Thanks!