(Close Window)
Topic: The Dream Act by Shin Lim
It was almost a year ago that I was at Fism in Italy. I watched many of the shows and it was great.

....and then this is what happened.

The stage, music and atmosphere changes. Shin comes on stage and he is just perfect, smooth and precise.
I got goosebumps and at that moment I m convinced that he is a modern day real wizard. The act ends and everybody gives a standing ovation.
I m looking at people faces just to see if everybody is as mesmerised as me, of course they were.... Of course he won....
Of course after that he fooled Pen and Teller with this act and of course his YouTube video has over 15 million views….
Of course Dynamo performed it on TV and he still performs it on every live show he does.
Of course...

Now, almost a year later this gets published. I m not sure how you can teach people real magic, I hope it doesn't start like "first, you have to sacrifice two chickens....."

More info:
http://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=56245

Best regards,
Titanas

p.s: In case you guys missed it, here is his Pen & Teller performance:
[youtube]EAN-PwRfJcA[/youtube]
[url=https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/close-up-magic/shin-lims-dream-act/]The Dream Act by Shin Lim[/url]

Shin Lim is, without doubt, one of the most talked about magicians in the world at the moment. It all started with his rollercoaster journey through the magic world. In the 2015, Shin Lim was crowned the FISM World Champion of Close-up Card magic in Italy. Two weeks later came his big break. On national television in America, Shin performed his Dream Act to a captivated audience. His appearance on 'Penn & Teller"" Fool Us' rocked him into the limelight and overnight, he became a worldwide phenomenon. The Dream Act was viewed over a million times in under a week and ever since, it has been broadcast all over the world.

The Dream Act is a beautiful, complete act which is magical to its very core. We're sure that when you first saw it, you'd have been as fooled as we were. There is a huge amount of magic packed into only a few minutes but at no point does the act feel rushed. In Shin's own words, it 'transcends the act of trying to fool a spectator by becoming an artistic expression'.

[youtube]J3v1SwmUxI[/youtube]

Shin combines ingenious methods, misdirection and music to create a moments which are not only memorable, they are moving and powerful. We were lucky enough to see Shin do his act live at Magi-Fest 2016 and like the rest of the room, we were gasping and infatuated. Shin describes this act as his prized possession and it is easy to see why.

In this 3.5 hour long video tutorial, Shin reveals every detail of the Dream Act. Every effect, method and action is covered in immense detail, including how to deal with angle issues and tips on changing your performing environment to suit the act. And then he explains his concepts of atmosphere, timing, theory, music, and movements and how they are integral when creating a silent routine.

What you get:
- All gimmicks are included (including custom smoke gimmicks)
- Over 3.5 hours of in-depth teaching
- USB charger included

This is one of the most impressive products we have seen in a long time. We have a VERY limited number of sets and we are certain that this will sell out extremely quickly.

[url=https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/close-up-magic/shin-lims-dream-act/]Find out more here![/url]

[IMG]http://i64.tinypic.com/23vjj15.png[/IMG]
I just sat down with Shin and did a short Q&A about [url=https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/close-up-magic/shin-lims-dream-act/]The Dream Act.[/url] Hopefully this answers some of your questions you may have about it.

[youtube]I89fMwjzrWQ[/youtube]

-Kyle
We are excited about this one as well - Shin Lim is saying this is the best material he has ever put out, and you have seen the routine.

Available on release day - free shipping worldwide.

http://www.magicandsuch.com/product/dream-act-by-shin-lim/

-Andrew
Just saw the Q&A with VanishingInc, thanks for the video!
Hi Guys,

The Dream Act comes with worldwide FREE fedex express shipping (1-3 days)at: https://mystiquefactory.com/products/dream-act-by-shin-lim

Best,
Martin
I am really happy Shin brought this out! Cannot wait to get it!
Side Note:
Nothing annoys me more than dealers come on here and push sales to their site...WE KNOW WHERE WE CAN ORDER FROM! Stop flooding this section with you annoying pushes!
I saw this on Fool Me and it knocked my socks off. As I was watching I thought to myself how in the heck is he doing this? But I also thought that there is no way and I mean no way I would be able to do this effect. I'm glad this is being released however I'm going to pass on this for one reason only. I want to keep thinking how in the world did he do this? I, like a lot of you, see a video and have a good idea how it is done or at least we can think of a method that would work to accomplish the effect. With Dream Act I honestly have no idea and deep down I want to keep that mystery alive. Plus I know darn well I will not be able to even remotely perform this. But wow what a great effect and so worth the price! For those of you buying this I'm happy for you because I know the teaching will be awsome and you will love it. As I read no doubt the numerous posts that will follow as people receive this part of me will want to change my mind but in this case this one my friends will remain a beautiful mystery.

Good magic to all,

Eric
An act that's got 15m views on youtube amd that's taken him all over the world. I don't get why you'd sell it; or more importantly why anyone would want to perform it? Its not my cup of tea at all but I recognise the skill and hours you'd have to put in; but why would anyone else want to perform that act? Its also sad that from a performance perspective; despite the exposure on p and t etc; selling the act at a ludicrously low price to magicians is the most lucrative option.
[quote]On May 5, 2016, toointoit wrote:
I am really happy Shin brought this out! Cannot wait to get it!
Side Note:
Nothing annoys me more than dealers come on here and push sales to their site...WE KNOW WHERE WE CAN ORDER FROM! Stop flooding this section with you annoying pushes! [/quote]

I too am very tired of the usual dealers and some newer ones jumping on every new item and saying you can get it here.

You may not have noticed but I do this far less often now and only in the context of linking when I had something to say other than we sell this.

We have reviewed The Dream Act in our latest show and you can watch it here http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/saturn-product-reviews/NSPR27.html

By the way we also sell this and have a great offer on it as well, I'm sure you will find it on our website!
Message: Posted by: Michael Mindreader (May 6, 2016 03:04AM)
$200 is a pretty stiff price point. I love the routine but is it really 10x better than 52 shades of red?
I think to truly understand how ludicrous this is; replace magic act with stand up act.

Jim jeffries has literally millions of views of his famous gun control act on youtube and has travelled the world with it. You can now learn all the timing and subtleties to deliver this signature act; for £165!!!

Or rhod gilbert's lost suitcase act; includes pretend suitcase handle!
[quote]On May 6, 2016, Michael Mindreader wrote:
$200 is a pretty stiff price point. I love the routine but is it really 10x better than 52 shades of red? [/quote]

With the Dream Act you are getting multiple phases that you can use in your own routines or you can replicate this act for private parties etc.

If you did replicate the act as taught I don't think anyone booking would argue they had not got value for money and I think we kid ourselves about how many lay people will have seen this, I bet very few have, or if they have they would not remember it.

The price for the complete act and gimmicks provided is well worth it if you intend to learn it.

The other bonus here is that it is not that difficult to do, there is only 1 move I would consider to he hard and that can be replaced with another of your liking if you can't do it as shown, all I'm referring to is control a card.

I also believe there is more chance that people will be doing this than 52 shades that needs a very controlled environment making this is magic you can do in the real world at private parties etc.

As has been mention to give away the act and gimmicks for this price is a steal, although it is priced higher than most general releases it is worth it.

We have special offer of a free copy of Advanced Card Moves Made Easy as well as free worldwide shipping while stocks last.
I like this routine. I think its fantastic. But, like others, who strugfle with the price of it. And, having read saturn magic website you don't get all the gimmicks to do the whole routine. This would fry a lot of people but for the price I think I may pass on it.
[quote]On May 6, 2016, chrislomas wrote:
you don't get all the gimmicks to do the whole routine. [/quote]

Yes you are right, but the extra bits are very easy to get hold of, and you probably already have a close-up mat and playing cards.. The gimmicks used to create smoke from your mat and the second smoke from mouth are not included. You will need your own: Close-Up Mat, Servant, and Playing Cards.

MoM have it on the site now on special offer with free worldwide shipping from the UK here:
http://www.magicshop.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=147896

You also currently get SSS 2015 Edition included FREE (download only) with this, which is a nice touch.

Hope this helps
Dominic
I'm with Paul. I don't understand why any other performers would want to be doing this. The adverts themselves say that Shin's act was seen over one million times all around the world.
@Robmonster. I think there is a difference between seeing TV and experiencing it live. I know I would enjoy seeing a well executed performance live. Plus I assume most people will bring their own twists to the plot.
[quote]On May 6, 2016, fyi2 wrote:
@Robmonster. I think there is a difference between seeing TV and experiencing it live. I know I would enjoy seeing a well executed performance live. Plus I assume most people will bring their own twists to the plot. [/quote]

I think you overestimate most people.
Hang on Rob this is straight into Tariks A set ... slow down please
MD
@Robmonster. I think there is a difference between seeing TV and experiencing it live. I know I would enjoy seeing a well executed performance live. Plus I assume most people will bring their own twists to the plot. [/quote]

You've got an audience; Do them a favour and perform something original; not someone elses act. As I said eatlier; if it were a comedians act it'd sound obsurd to perform even parts of it; let alone the whole thing. In the comedy world; plagerism is frowned upon; in the magic world; it seems like the norm.
Hey Guys –

Because of Shin limiting the release of Dream Act the original pricing was going to be $500.00.

Shin teaches so much on this set that $200.00 is truly a minimal cost.

The intent of this project is not only to learn “The Secrets” of his magic but more importantly the details behind
building an act that is obviously attracting a lot of attention from the general public.
You cannot deny the public response to Shin’s “Dream Act”. I don’t know of another Magician
in the history of magic that has had that many hits (15 Million plus) solely on one YouTube post.

I believe $200.00 is peanuts to anyone who recognizes the power of educating themselves toward
understanding not only the gimmicks and moves but more importantly
the structure, thinking, misdirection, etc. of such an act.

If you want to know the “real Secrets” on how to apply this thinking to your own act or maybe to
incorporate parts or theories from Shin’s Dream Act, you cannot miss out on this opportunity…

If applied, this product WILL make you a better magician and performer.

P
Well said!
I wonder how many great books on performance and advancement one could buy instead.

Not for me, I wish you the best of luck with it.
[quote]On May 6, 2016, Paul S Wingham wrote:
In the comedy world; plagerism is frowned upon; in the magic world; it seems like the norm. [/quote]

Why are you bringing plagiarism into this conversation? Shin Lim is selling his act, this is not stealing.
Jokes and bits are sold all the time. Many people sell them for a living, they're called comedy writers.

$200.00 is ridiculously low IMO. I fully expected this to be $2500.00 or more.
And who says you have to perform the act exactly as is, of course you should make it your own.
Again, it's not just learning tricks. I'm sure there is a ton of valuable info in learning the thinking behind the tricks. No doubt much of the routining and misdirection could be applied to routines you already perform, or spark your imagination to create new and original routines.
Using a writer to provide jokes for you is not the same thing at all.
But does he finally admit to using dups? that is the real question
Message: Posted by: Michael Mindreader (May 6, 2016 03:52PM)
It's a limited release. How many copies would there be? If it's like 100 copies, even with a $200 price tag, it's definitely a good buy. Rare material is rare for a good reason. I on the fence.

You've got an audience; Do them a favour and perform something original; not someone elses act. As I said eatlier; if it were a comedians act it'd sound obsurd to perform even parts of it; let alone the whole thing. In the comedy world; plagerism is frowned upon; in the magic world; it seems like the norm. [/quote]

Part of that is due to the fact that it's much, much easier to write some new jokes than it is to come up with new visual effects that seem to defy the laws of physics. Most of us could bang out a 5 minute comedy monologue, if we put our minds to it, in a day or less. Not saying it would be legendary, but it would probably be passable and original. If we could do the same with new magic effects, most of us would. In the meantime, why not learn from the masters? Part of that learning is performance.
Good point. What's a limited release? 100? 1000? 10000?
[quote]On May 6, 2016, Grasshop34 wrote:
Good point. What's a limited release? 100? 1000? 10000? [/quote]

Limited to however many people buy it.
Great potential for sales as there is one born every minute
[quote]
The intent of this project is not only to learn “The Secrets” of his magic...[/quote]

The intent is for him to make money. He got what he needed from this act and now he knows you suckers who are too lazy to do your own work will line up around the block with your money. Also, if this is like his other act he released, you can't do it in a lot of places.
[quote]On May 6, 2016, paw wrote:
You cannot deny the public response to Shin’s “Dream Act”. I don’t know of another Magician
in the history of magic that has had that many hits (15 Million plus) solely on one YouTube post.
[/quote]

According to Google, YouTube was founded on Feb 14th 2005. According to Wikipedia the first recorded performance of magic was in 2700 BCE. That means YouTube has been around for 0.2% of magic's recorded history. The fact that Shin's video has gotten a lot of views, to me, is pretty irrelevant. Gangam Style broke YouTube's view counter - should we start pony dancing during shows?

[quote]On May 6, 2016, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
Most of us could bang out a 5 minute comedy monologue, if we put our minds to it, in a day or less. [/quote]

This is an extremely bold assertation. Considering how many people can't even come up with an original script for a 30 second card trick, I'd be amazed if 51% of these forums could create an original 5 minute comedy act in a single day. Keep in mind that's the basic definition of "most". And that comedy act would most likely be crap. This is not criticism to the folks on these forums, but more the fact that original comedy is really hard to do and thinking that just anyone could do it in a day is a deep disrespect to skilled comedians. I don't personally think I could could come up with a decent 5-minute comedy routine in a single day.

Personally, I don't care what Shin is charging for this act. I never liked it. I would say $200 is low, though, if it has decent instruction on the construction of acts. That is the real magic.
[quote]On May 7, 2016, Stucky wrote:
[quote]
The intent of this project is not only to learn “The Secrets” of his magic...[/quote]

The intent is for him to make money. He got what he needed from this act and now he knows you suckers who are too lazy to do your own work will line up around the block with your money. Also, if this is like his other act he released, you can't do it in a lot of places. [/quote]

Lol.
[quote]On May 7, 2016, WitchDocChris wrote:
[quote]On May 6, 2016, paw wrote:
[/quote]

According to Google, YouTube was founded on Feb 14th 2005. According to Wikipedia the first recorded performance of magic was in 2700 BCE. That means YouTube has been around for 0.2% of magic's recorded history. The fact that Shin's video has gotten a lot of views, to me, is pretty irrelevant. Gangam Style broke YouTube's view counter - should we start pony dancing during shows?

[quote]On May 6, 2016, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
Most of us could bang out a 5 minute comedy monologue, if we put our minds to it, in a day or less. [/quote]

This is an extremely bold assertation. Considering how many people can't even come up with an original script for a 30 second card trick, I'd be amazed if 51% of these forums could create an original 5 minute comedy act in a single day. Keep in mind that's the basic definition of "most". And that comedy act would most likely be crap. This is not criticism to the folks on these forums, but more the fact that original comedy is really hard to do and thinking that just anyone could do it in a day is a deep disrespect to skilled comedians. I don't personally think I could could come up with a decent 5-minute comedy routine in a single day.

Personally, I don't care what Shin is charging for this act. I never liked it. I would say $200 is low, though, if it has decent instruction on the construction of acts. That is the real magic. [/quote]

Hear hear
Does the crystal pyramid come with the Dream Act?
[quote]On May 6, 2016, On The Offbeat wrote:
In the comedy world; plagerism is frowned upon; in the magic world; it seems like the norm. [/quote]

Why are you bringing plagiarism into this conversation? Shin Lim is selling his act, this is not stealing.
Jokes and bits are sold all the time. Many people sell them for a living, they're called comedy writers.

$200.00 is ridiculously low IMO. I fully expected this to be $2500.00 or more.
And who says you have to perform the act exactly as is, of course you should make it your own.
Again, it's not just learning tricks. I'm sure there is a ton of valuable info in learning the thinking behind the tricks. No doubt much of the routining and misdirection could be applied to routines you already perform, or spark your imagination to create new and original routines. [/quote]

I'm not suggesting shim is doing anything wrong; although I find the concept of selling a trademark act odd to say the least; I'm saying that other Magicians seem very comfortable with learning and performing all / part of someone else's act. As for writing 5 minutes of comedy; being easy which someone else mentioned; I don't think you could be further from the truth and comedy writers write for a person; they don't create a dvd and sell it; resulting in multiple comedians telling the same jokes.
I don't know. Having watched videos from FISM, he flashed several times. On Fool Us, they only got the good angles. I'm not sure this is valid for real world non-competition acts. Additionally, if I am correct about some of the methods there is another reason why you won't want to do this in the real world.

That being said, his act on fool us was one of the greatest pieces of magic to have ever been shown on TV.
[quote]On May 8, 2016, fireisyummy wrote:
That being said, his act on fool us was one of the greatest pieces of magic to have ever been shown on TV. [/quote]

WOW, you haven't seen much magic on TV have you, or you're a huge fan LOL! I thought it was boring, in fact only got half way through and tuned out. Technically it was probably good, but you would have to be a card enthusiast to really like it. Some of the magic shown on European TV is beautiful and elegant. You could also go way back to Copperfield flying on stage and so many other examples of great magic on TV. I wasn't going to comment on this until you made that incredible statement. I guess it comes down to different strokes.
If the theory behind the act is so important, why not produce something akin to Soma's How to Win at FISM DVD? It allows a professional to continue using the act, yet teach the more valuable concepts behind it.
Well, if this is anything like the free download Murphy's offered a while back for Lim product, then I would not waste my money. In that free teaser, Lim did not explain the moves at all. He simply showed the riffle, and said it looks like this. Doing it very quickly. No explanation or close up of finger placement. Just did it 2 or 3 times and moved on.

How many people do Albert Goshman's act, it is a lot cheaper then $200 and much more entertaining. There have been a few acts released, and no one does them that I have ever seen or heard of and they are more famous then a on time television show appearance. And a lot cheaper

Add the you have to scrounge around finding all the pieces and to actually perform the whole act.

Finally, how many people perform only private formal close-up magic in a home or parlour room. Then wasn't the whole act silent, no patter.

I seen it on Penn & Teller, did not really think it was all that great. Kind of boring to me. I really could not believe they said they were fooled.
When Shin Lim lectures, he is very clear that the act is designed for his competition and stage performances where he has control of the angles.

The act is certainly Shin's and fits his persona. Few would be in a position to perform it.

But, there are many amazing moments which certainly catch one's imagination and could be used very effectively in a variety of settings.

I wondered about the pyramid, too! http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Acrystal%20pyramids

It would be useful to really know what components are being supplied as opposed to "All gimmicks..supplied".

This way one could decide how much of a premium you are paying for for providing the props and how much for the teaching.

It might make one feel the price is actually reasonable. Or perhaps not.
[quote]On May 8, 2016, jcroop wrote:
When Shin Lim lectures, he is very clear that the act is designed for his competition and stage performances where he has control of the angles.

The act is certainly Shin's and fits his persona. Few would be in a position to perform it.

But, there are many amazing moments which certainly catch one's imagination and could be used very effectively in a variety of settings.

I wondered about the pyramid, too! http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Acrystal%20pyramids

It would be useful to really know what components are being supplied as opposed to "All gimmicks..supplied".

This way one could decide how much of a premium you are paying for for providing the props and how much for the teaching.

It might make one feel the price is actually reasonable. Or perhaps not. [/quote]

You can buy all the gimmicks used in the act for less than $100. So, you are paying a high premium just for the instructional DVD etc.

And remember - from what has been said above, not all the gimmicks used in the act come with this offer. There is no "SSS by Shin Lim" in the package.
I am confident that no one on here will be purchasing this complete waste of money.
Well, Pegasus, I think you might be wrong. 3.5 hours of instruction and a peek into the gimmicks for $200 doesn't seem like a bad deal, to me. Maybe I'm just not cool enough to be disdainful of this. Shin Lim is an original, and I think he and folks like him are giving us the future direction of magic. Plus, I just love his use of atmosphere. So if I can get a peek into that vision and process for $200, I think it's well worth it. The price tag is not a big deal for me.

To those denigrating others for "wanting to perform someone else's act," two observations: (1) show me anyone who doesn't copy other people's work, and (2) I cannot imagine someone wanting to perform the act verbatim. Certainly, I would not. No one but Shin Lim is Shin Lim. I think it's much more useful to take concepts and pieces from it to incorporate into your own act in a way that's you, not Shin.

For myself, I like to take things from as many folks as I can and try to make them my own. That's how I learn and grow. A single 15-minute act that I perform contains stuff from Dai Vernon, Mark Wilson, Paul Daniels, Daryl, Larry Jennings, Jeff McBride, Michael Ammar, Harry Anderson, and others. I take what I can from as many people as I can. You can call it "stealing" (or plagiarism) but I call it "learning" and "growing." If I can get one principle or move from someone that makes me a better or different magician, I'll gladly fork over two hundred bucks for the education.

In fact, I think I've just talked myself into buying this routine. If I'm going to defend it, I think I'll put my money where my mouth is and actually find out. Then I can have a real opinion based on fact, rather than merely joining the throngs of speculators. If it's a disappointment, I'll let you know. :)
[quote]On May 8, 2016, danaruns wrote:
Well, Pegasus, I think you might be wrong. 3.5 hours of instruction and a peek into the gimmicks for $200 doesn't seem like a bad deal, to me. Maybe I'm just not cool enough to be disdainful of this. Shin Lim is an original, and I think he and folks like him are giving us the future direction of magic. Plus, I just love his use of atmosphere. So if I can get a peek into that vision and process for $200, I think it's well worth it. The price tag is not a big deal for me.

To those denigrating others for "wanting to perform someone else's act," two observations: (1) show me anyone who doesn't copy other people's work, and (2) I cannot imagine someone wanting to perform the act verbatim. Certainly, I would not. No one but Shin Lim is Shin Lim. I think it's much more useful to take concepts and pieces from it to incorporate into your own act in a way that's you, not Shin.

For myself, I like to take things from as many folks as I can and try to make them my own. That's how I learn and grow. A single 15-minute act that I perform contains stuff from Dai Vernon, Mark Wilson, Paul Daniels, Daryl, Larry Jennings, Jeff McBride, Michael Ammar, Harry Anderson, and others. I take what I can from as many people as I can. You can call it "stealing" (or plagiarism) but I call it "learning" and "growing." If I can get one principle or move from someone that makes me a better or different magician, I'll gladly fork over two hundred bucks for the education.

In fact, I think I've just talked myself into buying this routine. If I'm going to defend it, I think I'll put my money where my mouth is and actually find out. Then I can have a real opinion based on fact, rather than merely joining the throngs of speculators. If it's a disappointment, I'll let you know. :) [/quote]

Let's hope you have the humility to admit you've wasted your money.
I'm definately going to buy it when I get some more cash together well worth it to find out how a world class act is done
[quote]On May 8, 2016, Karl M wrote:
I'm definately going to buy it when I get some more cash together well worth it to find out how a world class act is done [/quote]

I knew you'd blow your next benefit's payment on more dross.
Not your business mate maybe you should stick to threads where youve got positive things to say, is that fair then, Shin Lin you aint! lol
Why are so many people so salty on these boards? It's like a children's convention sometimes. People need to grow up and learn to live and let live. We are meant to be having fun here. If you aren't having fun, maybe this past-time isn't for you. Take up something else instead. But while not having fun, don't take it out on other people.
Well said tally-nsa
Danaruns, don't recall seeing any of your posts before now, but if you perform magic as well as you write then you must be an excellent magician.
Tally-nsa and other dreamers here, there's only one reason that magicians release an effect, and that's to make money.

If you think that they are being nice guys by "sharing their magic", you're living in a dream world.

When you've been screwed over a number of times by all of these "nice guys" and their deceptive descriptions of what they're releasing, I think that you'll change your mind.

I used to live in that dream world, but not anymore.

Shin Lim has screwed many people with his deceptive descriptions of his effects.

I think it was his "52 Shades of Red" that took a lot of construction by you, the end user, and it had many limitations of how it could be successfully performed.

Many people here were not happy after buying it.

I can see right here that, after you spend your $200, you are going to have to do some assembly yourself. If you are not good at that stuff, kiss your investment goodbye. Same thing with the necessary skills to actually pull it off. Shin Lim has the skills, that's for sure. Maybe you and I don't. I'm not a professional that can spend 8 hours a day practicing. I have limited skills, although I consider myself pretty darn good at the things that I do. So do the people that I perform for.

I can't begin to tell you about all of the things that have been released by "professionals" that have faults that have been vastly improved by others here that had nothing to do with the release of the effect. Or else they have faults that cannot be improved no matter what you do.

Some things are only good on video with a camera set up in the optimal position. But when you have an actual audience, look out!

That's why we're so "salty".

You'll believe me after you've wasted enough money to buy a car.

I trust Pegasus a lot more than I trust Shin Lim.

Think about it.
So, not even a DVD set? What? Streaming only again. So you don't even get to own the video. Just rent it for a while?

What a rip off, just a box with a smoke device in it, no television performance rights either.

So what exactly is a person receiving for $200?
Didn't Penn say something about how the act wasn't fully ready as it had some obvious moments? Any idea if they've been fixed?
[quote]On May 8, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:
So, not even a DVD set? What? Streaming only again. So you don't even get to own the video. Just rent it for a while?

What a rip off, just a box with a smoke device in it, no television performance rights either.

So what exactly is a person receiving for $200? [/quote]

No smoke device supplied. Very good question Bill.
[quote]On May 9, 2016, pegasus wrote:

No smoke device supplied. Very good question Bill. [/quote]

A smoke gimmick is supplied
[quote]On May 8, 2016, danaruns wrote:
To those denigrating others for "wanting to perform someone else's act," two observations: (1) show me anyone who doesn't copy other people's work, and (2) I cannot imagine someone wanting to perform the act verbatim. Certainly, I would not. No one but Shin Lim is Shin Lim. I think it's much more useful to take concepts and pieces from it to incorporate into your own act in a way that's you, not Shin. [/quote]

Oh sure, lots of people use other peoples tricks. I certainly do. However, none of the routines have been seen worldwide by millions of people on YouTube and prime time TV.
[quote]On May 9, 2016, Fatgumbo wrote:
[quote]On May 9, 2016, pegasus wrote:

No smoke device supplied. Very good question Bill. [/quote]

A smoke gimmick is supplied [/quote]

From MoM.

The gimmicks used to create smoke from your mat and the second smoke from mouth are not included. You will need your own:
Yeah but you still get one smoke device, the others needed are supposed to be cheap and easy to get, hence the reason they were nor included, still expensive though as most of the routine is pretty easy, only the dupes are hard to guess how he got them (imo)
but I'm pretty sure he uses them.
[quote]On May 9, 2016, catweazle wrote:
Yeah but you still get one smoke device, the others needed are supposed to be cheap and easy to get, hence the reason they were nor included, still expensive though as most of the routine is pretty easy, only the dupes are hard to guess how he got them (imo)
but I'm pretty sure he uses them. [/quote]

He does not use dupes. Buy his "Topit Revolution" to find out how he does it.
Thanks!
[quote]On May 9, 2016, Tally_NSA wrote:
[quote]On May 9, 2016, catweazle wrote:
but I'm pretty sure he uses them. [/quote]

He does not use dupes. Buy his "Topit Revolution" to find out how he does it. [/quote]

Where you can find the "Topit Revolution" ??
[quote]On May 9, 2016, Ceierry wrote:

Where you can find the "Topit Revolution" ?? [/quote]

http://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=55575

but if that is included in shin's dvd package it makes it good value, I'm still not totally convinced it is though.
Yes that's the one I've found but I believe it's not included with this package right??
I'm 99% sure there is a dup involved, I don't know the exact method (but I can guess ) but I seem to remember someone posting a screenshot of the before and after signature showing the differences, whtch implies the volunteer was in on it and signed a card earlier.
That being said I have no issues with a performer using a duplicate or sudo duplicate signature in a performance or tv show appearance when your job is deception it's all fair game. but using a stooge / dup at fism I think is getting close to crossing a line. I also think people thinking of buying this act should know what they're getting.

I prefer the streaming method. More and more computers are being sold without DVD drives now. I test drove a car last week without a CD player in it.
This isn't a rip off - it reduces production costs and if you've got access to the Internet, you have access to the instruction. That's just the direction in which technology is moving.
[quote]On May 8, 2016, takeachance wrote:
[quote]On May 8, 2016, fireisyummy wrote:
That being said, his act on fool us was one of the greatest pieces of magic to have ever been shown on TV. [/quote]

WOW, you haven't seen much magic on TV have you, or you're a huge fan LOL! I thought it was boring, in fact only got half way through and tuned out. Technically it was probably good, but you would have to be a card enthusiast to really like it. Some of the magic shown on European TV is beautiful and elegant. You could also go way back to Copperfield flying on stage and so many other examples of great magic on TV. I wasn't going to comment on this until you made that incredible statement. I guess it comes down to different strokes. [/quote]
The second half is, in my opinion, where this really picked up.
[quote]On May 9, 2016, ASCII wrote:
I'm 99% sure there is a dup involved, I don't know the exact method (but I can guess ) but I seem to remember someone posting a screenshot of the before and after signature showing the differences, whtch implies the volunteer was in on it and signed a card earlier.
That being said I have no issues with a performer using a duplicate or sudo duplicate signature in a performance or tv show appearance when your job is deception it's all fair game. but using a stooge / dup at fism I think is getting close to crossing a line. I also think people thinking of buying this act should know what they're getting. [/quote]

the bag to mouth transpo has to be a dupe, because its the only way!! (its pretty clear how he makes the change happen there, the bag could be totally sealed and still be able to do it;))
the behind the back transpo could be the topit revo, but I'm not so sure tbh, I still think he uses a dupe there too.
but using a stooge / dup at fism I think is getting close to crossing a line.[/quote]

My wife was Shin Lim's spectator at FISM. There was no stooging or prep. But, hey, we shouldn't be speculating on methods.

Mike
Yes we should, its part of the rules for latest and greatest ;)
It might be annoying, but every thread here does it ;)
[quote]On May 9, 2016, Michael Daniels wrote:
but using a stooge / dup at fism I think is getting close to crossing a line.[/quote]

My wife was Shin Lim's spectator at FISM. There was no stooging or prep. But, hey, we shouldn't be speculating on methods.

Mike [/quote]
you correct I'm assuming he only has one method for this and for all I know he has another method to be used when in competition. but then again he would only require one of the two signatures to be a duplicate so perhaps your wife was the one that wasn't stooged and it was the other volunteer who pre-signed a card.
you correct I'm assuming he only has one method for this and for all I know he has another method to be used when in competition. but then again he would only require one of the two signatures to be a duplicate so perhaps your wife was the one that wasn't stooged and it was the other volunteer who pre-signed a card. [/quote]

You raise an interesting question: which version of the Dream Act are people buying? If it the FISM version? Or the Penn and Teller version? I would want to know first before buying. I would be very unhappy to spend $200 and find out you also need a stooge in order to get the act to work correctly.
[quote]On May 9, 2016, Tally_NSA wrote:
He does not use dupes. Buy his "Topit Revolution" to find out how he does it. [/quote]

FYI - I've just been proved wrong via Personal Messages on this comment by me. So, apologies for an incorrect remark.
perhaps your wife was the one that wasn't stooged and it was the other volunteer who pre-signed a card. [/quote]

My wife was in the critical (second card selected) role.

Mike
perhaps your wife was the one that wasn't stooged and it was the other volunteer who pre-signed a card. [/quote]

Mike [/quote]

The first spectator signs the card live and has not signed any cards before the performance and is not a stooge, neither is the second and they have not signed anything before either.
[quote]On May 9, 2016, Saturn UK wrote:
The first spectator signs the card live and has not signed any cards before the performance and is not a stooge, neither is the second and they have not signed anything before either. [/quote]

Correct - certainly for the FISM competition.

Mike

Mike [/quote]

The first spectator signs the card live and has not signed any cards before the performance and is not a stooge, neither is the second and they have not signed anything before either. [/quote]

So, this is confirmation that this is the FISM version of the act, using no stooges.

Is there any video footage of the FISM version of this act?
I am curious about the smoke from mouth, could that be bought somewhere else? Thanks in advance!
Interesting that he decided to just use initials then...
Was he just trying to throw off P&T who didn't fall for it like we all did?

call me suspicious, but I don't get why you split that up and made a distinction between the two.

"neither is the second and they have not signed anything before either"
before when?
before the show, or before the proper performance starts and the camera's are rolling?
stooge is a loose term, specs are not always aware that they are a stooge, preshow can be done days, weeks before, but it can also be done 'on the fly' just before the proper performance
It was just the way I wrote it, I was answering the question about spectator 1 and then added that 2 was also not a stooge etc.

The whole act is performed with no stooges instant or otherwise and the card is signed only once as you can see in the performance and the spectators have not signed any cards beforehand.

I can't be more clear than this without telling you how he does it!

I can only add that for the price if you want to learn the methods behind the act and want to copy it for private parties etc or make your own routine it will be money well spend and the very hard to make/ find gimmicks are supplied for you.

The release date is approaching and as a bonus we are giving away a free copy of Advanced Card Moves Made Easy with every copy as well as offering free worldwide shipping, so wherever you are you can take us up on this offer!

Check it out here http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/new-magic/dream-act-by-shin-lim--trick.html
Money well spent? Give me a break. Great salesman pitch, Mark.
I have seen two versions of this routine online. the penn and teller version where it is clearly a duplicate signature and the Second performance on Shin Lim's YouTube that when examined it's obvious that this is also a duplicate signature as well (but a very clever one). I can't comment on what he performed at fism as there was no video and I won't speculate. but that being said this does not mean (in the two performances on-line) that the spectator was necessarily involved in pre-show or signed another card in advance. They could have been instant stooged as well and if so hats off to Shin Lim he seems to have some clever thinking in regards to signatures and I would guess he would cover all of these options in the explanation of the act.

That being said as I have stated earlier I no problem with this technique in performance if that what you have to do to pull off a miracle go for it. but people buying an act should go in with their eyes open and think if such technique will work for them and their performing inviroment.
FWIW, Shin's mother, Mabel, insists that there are no stooges used in this routine. She finds the notion highly insulting to her son. I asked, and that's what she told me.
Come on people, no stooges, instant stooges, or pre-show is done in any way. Not because it has fooled you, doesn't mean he's using stooges. There are a couple of methods in my mind without deep thinking that can EASILY accomplish all this. Seriously.

If I ever get this, this would be the most curious part of the routine for me, I loved it !
I loved it too, and really the focus on stooges is wrong, the focus should be on the dupes.
Sorry his mum is upset, but show business is tough, especially when you are selling 'secrets' to the masses at considerable expense and they like to know to some degree what they are paying for.
some people ordered a tesla before it was even produced, others wait for a test drive.
LOL

Whole page of people arguing if Lim is using dupes and stooges or not... Its clear that he is not. There are other methods and you simply arent familiar with em... I assume that those same people are the ones in Priceless topic hyping; "I don't HAVE AN IDEA HOW IT WORKS" :crazydude:

That said, I don't understand why one would want to buy this to perform any or parts of it but Lim isn't the first one to publish his FISM act by any means. Tons of people have published their winning acts during the years. One can learn quite a bit by seeing how winning acts in the past have been constructed but for that information alone this is rather expensive. However if one really would like to use this or parts of it in their professional work then this is cheap and that opinion is from someone who has participated into multiple Armando Lucero workshops and I feel that they were well worth it.

J-M
Apparently some people's definition of stooge is a lot more narrow than mine.
To me, this whole argument about stooges and dupes just goes to demonstrate how well Shin has done with this routine. If you're at the point of inventing stooges to explain it, you're wonderfully fooled and should just admit it. :)
[quote]On May 10, 2016, danaruns wrote:
To me, this whole argument about stooges and dupes just goes to demonstrate how well Shin has done with this routine. If you're at the point of inventing stooges to explain it, you're wonderfully fooled and should just admit it. :) [/quote]

Amen :D (Y) ! I definetly saw the whole "act on sale" thing coming just like 52 Shades of red, both versions of them.
Assuming the concept is published before. Can anyone PM me any DVDs or books that explain the "multiple signature" thing ? Thanks.
I think it's from the DVD Fraud which teaches you how to dup a signature right in front of people. I sure hope it's not like that. I also hope you don't need anyone under that big table signing cards.
New studies have shown that e-cigarettes actually do cause cancer.

I would stay away from this product for those who care about their health.
To me, this whole argument about stooges and dupes just goes to demonstrate how well Shin has done with this routine. If you're at the point of inventing stooges to explain it, you're wonderfully fooled and should just admit it. :) [/quote]

yeah, shame shins mom got all upset then eh??
we will find out the truth soon enough ;)
[quote]On May 10, 2016, pegasus wrote:
Money well spent? Give me a break. Great salesman pitch, Mark. [/quote]

You should know by now that I don't hype or push anything I don't believe in.

I could name a few dealers that come on here all the time just to sell at any cost pushing items that are total rubbish, I like to think I am more selective in my posts and speak truthfully about items I post about.

If you like the act this is a good release and I do believe it is good value for money for the teaching and props provided.
Killing cells in a petri dish proves very little, otherwise clinical trials would not be needed, studies set out to prove things, its how they get funded. the results of those studies are often biased towards the results they were after, to get more funding, hence the reason they always state that more research is needed, sir robin murray is prime example, the likes of the daily mail care less about the truth than they do about their agenda.
the anti smoking lobby hate e-cigs, not because they are dangerous, but because they just hate the fact that people want and choose to use them.
thinking that occasionally using a nicotine free vape pen will lead to cancer is a stretch based on the scientific studies done so far.
i'm not a biologist or pharmacologist, but I did qualify at the RCS in london, does that count ? :)
[quote]On May 11, 2016, catweazle wrote:
Killing cells in a petri dish proves very little, otherwise clinical trials would not be needed, studies set out to prove things, its how they get funded. the results of those studies are often biased towards the results they were after, to get more funding, hence the reason they always state that more research is needed, sir robin murray is prime example, the likes of the daily mail care less about the truth than they do about their agenda.
the anti smoking lobby hate e-cigs, not because they are dangerous, but because they just hate the fact that people want and choose to use them.
thinking that occasionally using a nicotine free vape pen will lead to cancer is a stretch based on the scientific studies done so far.
i'm not a biologist or pharmacologist, but I did qualify at the RCS in london, does that count ? :) [/quote]

The very first tests done to prove that smoking was injurious to health back in the 1940s started out as little more than killing cells in petri dishes like this study has done. From little acorns, big oak trees grow!

FYI - I am neither anti-smoking; nor in favour of it. I am just a guy who knows how to sift scientific research and spot the strengths and weaknesses. Why? Because I have professional training at Doctoral level. I gained my PhD from St. Chad's College, Durham (UK). What I see in this study - as meagre as it is - is some quite alarming evidence which contradicts the rest of the research that concludes vaping is not that serious of a health risk. It may turn out to be unfounded. It may not. That is for future research to determine. But to pick-and-choose your internet sources, favouring one over the other because it reinforces what you want to believe, is not scientific.
[quote]On May 10, 2016, Grasshop34 wrote:
I think it's from the DVD Fraud which teaches you how to dup a signature right in front of people. I sure hope it's not like that. I also hope you don't need anyone under that big table signing cards. [/quote]

May I know who created this DVD please because I'm having a hard time finding it. Thank you :)
Those delicious flavorings in e-cigs contain diacetyl, which has been known to cause Bronchiolitis obliterans.

I personally know of a magician who developed pneumonia from performing the illusion "Smoke."

My co-worker's daughter developed bronchitis as a result of vaping.

Believe what you want. Inhaling toxic chemicals, whether it's made by mother nature or man-made, is *never* a good thing health wise.

Just my two cents...
Haha!

T H I S is Funny!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUIa6x7iM20
Hopefully we'll have a review(s) shortly so things will return to a more civil matter.
Hi,
i think that this product can be good only for magicans that usually works with a lot of public, or for video.

infact the second spectator don't uderstand very well the act, and the first one could discover it easy.

The show is for the rest of the people.
So if you usually have a close up magic for only 1-2 person every time, it is not for you.

If at the opposite you have a lot of public it is good.

Than we must consider that you must pay other money for a lot of things:
- every time you must buy new cards
- I think that you must to create a special dress
- some parts of the act are good only for camera, and for close up is not ok (same problems of 52 shades of red).

I consider this act the most beautiful act in the world today, and I studied it a lot in the previous months.
I know every part very well, and I know how he did every part. But for now never I made in a private show for the problems above.
[quote]On May 15, 2016, Andre_Sant wrote:
Hi,
i think that this product can be good only for magicans that usually works with a lot of public, or for video.

infact the second spectator don't uderstand very well the act, and the first one could discover it easy.

But for now never I made in a private show for the problems above. [/quote]

shock horror, what you describe there are instant stooges and duplicate cards...
FWIW, Shin's mother, Mabel, insists that there are no stooges used in this routine. She finds the notion highly insulting to her son. I asked, and that's what she told me. [/quote]

i can confirm that Shin Lim does not use stooges !
100% !

the only problem is that the second person will understand the trick if this person is not supid
[quote]On May 15, 2016, catweazle wrote:
Hi,

But for now never I made in a private show for the problems above. [/quote]

shock horror, what you describe there are instant stooges and duplicate cards... [/quote]

no stooges !
Which leaves....

the only problem is that the second person will understand the trick if this person is not supid [/quote]

Not really... I think he/she might experience parts of the act little differently or be more suspicious about parts of it but most of the time he will be as fooled as rest of the audience.

That said, most people are making their claims about stooges, dupes and such from Fool us performance and arent aware of that it has been cleaned up in the editing room. Its more on the lines of "what laymen would see in the act" and some "stuff" (very quick stuff though) happens out of camera or is just edited. But to compensate this one also has to remember that Fool us performance wasnt the final version of the act that is on sale now since the act was still used to tie FISM first price in card magic with Horret Wu and it was still in development while Fool us was filmed. There are bits and pieces in the act that are cleaner than what is seen on Fool us performance.

J-M
The second person will undestand the trick only at the end of the trick if this person will speak with other spectators, or if this person will see again the show in a video.

so: if you have an high public it is ok, because also if 1 or 2 persons will understand the trick is not a big problem.

but if you do the trick only for 2 persons it does not make sense
Every trick has got pro and cons.

the pro is that if you have a large public you will show a fantastic trick (the best one)

the con is that there is an high probability to have 1 - 2 persons discover it after the trick
Im not wanting to do the complete act, there are just a couple things that interest me and I would like to learn those and use them if feasible.
Killing cells in a petri dish proves very little, otherwise clinical trials would not be needed, studies set out to prove things, its how they get funded. the results of those studies are often biased towards the results they were after, to get more funding, hence the reason they always state that more research is needed, [/quote]
Ignorance of the highest order. Then again, a university degree or knowledge of the scientific method or grant application is not needed to post on a forum about magic tricks.
You people can nit pick anything, and make speculation about things you don't know..............

Why I changed my handle and hardly post on the Café...

Biased opinions

and

hack arm chair magician opinions....

With love

Dr. Illuminatus
[quote]On May 15, 2016, Zuke wrote:
Killing cells in a petri dish proves very little, otherwise clinical trials would not be needed, studies set out to prove things, its how they get funded. the results of those studies are often biased towards the results they were after, to get more funding, hence the reason they always state that more research is needed, [/quote]
Ignorance of the highest order. Then again, a university degree or knowledge of the scientific method or grant application is not needed to post on a forum about magic tricks. [/quote]

not at all, everything I said there is true.
FWIW, Shin's mother, Mabel, insists that there are no stooges used in this routine. She finds the notion highly insulting to her son. I asked, and that's what she told me. [/quote]

100% !

the only problem is that the second person will understand the trick if this person is not supid [/quote]

what you just described is the definition of an instant stooge.
[quote]On May 16, 2016, ASCII wrote:

100% !

what you just described is the definition of an instant stooge. [/quote]

yes, but I think that the second person will understand only when the trick is finished, and when he/she will tell with other persons.

---

to korttihai_82:
yes this second person will understand only a part of the trick, but it is the core part
I think that 200$ is too much for amatorial magicans, but it can be ok for professional magicans with a large public.

If you can not afford 200$ I remember you that:

- in: "shin lim at the table live lecture", he explains many things about this act (but not everything..) and he shows it again. (he explains a lot also about 52shades of red in the same lecture): 17,95 usd

- in SSS FIRST EDITION (not 2015) he explains about the smoke from the mouth (you don't find it in sss 2015), and about the smoke from the table

- in gone deck http://www.shinlimmagic.com/shop/gone-deck he explains about the transformation of the deck in a card

- in the switch http://www.shinlimmagic.com/shop/the-switch he explains some other things (but you find it also in a table live lecture)

In the table live lecture you find also the approach to the magic of Shin Lim

In the Shin Lim youtube channel he inserts also another video of this "dream act". I think that you can have a better idea than the fool us performance
Anyone else notice that the mp4 file (both on-line version and download) is corrupted? The last segment 'freezes' in several places and will not play properly.
[quote]On May 17, 2016, mwolfire wrote:
Anyone else notice that the mp4 file (both on-line version and download) is corrupted? The last segment 'freezes' in several places and will not play properly. [/quote]

You should try downloading again, I didn't notice any freezing.
Is this worth it for someone like me who will not perform the whole effect, maybe only segments?
[quote]On May 17, 2016, GeorgeKerzon wrote:
Is this worth it for someone like me who will not perform the whole effect, maybe only segments? [/quote]

If there are parts of this act that you wish to learn and perform then its worth every penny to you :)
[quote]On May 18, 2016, GeorgeKerzon wrote:
Is this worth it for someone like me who will not perform the whole effect, maybe only segments? [/quote]

I'm very curious though which segment you're interesting in performing as a stand alone .
Well. Now that I have it, it turns out that absolutely none of the speculation in this thread is correct. No stooges. And the signatures that the two spectators put on the cards are never duplicated, not mechanically or by hand, nor do they ever sign any other cards before or during the routine. The routine is very carefully choreographed down to every movement, and there are often several things going on at once. There are methods to learn, including a couple I didn't know, but the important part is the choreography. It's a very specific motion script. The angles aren't bad. It can be performed live. The version sold is basically the Fool Us version with a couple upgrades, which aren't very useful in a live performance, but he does give alternates. There are more gimmicks to be bought or made than I had anticipated. And I, for one, can imagine parts that could be learned and performed without doing the whole act. Perhaps most obvious is, to quote Penn, "how to vanish the m************ marker!"

One thing I was disappointed to discover is that there are elements in the routine that don't really work for female magicians. That's kind of a peeve of mine, the complete lack of thinking about the challenges for women in so many commercial tricks, wardrobes, magazine articles, etc., because there are so few of us. Vanishing the marker is among the female unfriendly portions of this routine.

If you have a reliable classic force, you can perform the routine much more easily than Shin teaches it, but you can never miss or you'll have a disaster on your hands.

It's definitely not a routine that you watch a couple times and then you can do it. There is a lot of content, and much of it is specific to the routine. Knowing its secrets, I actually like the routine better, now. There is even some misdirection in it that is specifically designed to mess with the heads of magicians. Gotta like that. :)

In my opinions: YES !
It is definitely worth even if you will not perform the whole thing.
Not only you will find some segments that you may use individually into your routine; you will also get a lot about creativity, choreography, putting a routine together.
To me it has been incredibly inspiring.
Hey guys,

Does anyone want me to review this in depth?

I can, just let me know if anyone is interested.

Alex Alejandro
Well yes sir I'm interested :)
I am interested as well. I still do not understand why it wasn't reviewed on WPR this week?
The only stooges involved are those who purchase this item.
Wpr did kind of review it.
[quote]On May 29, 2016, kazpet wrote:
I am interested as well. I still do not understand why it wasn't reviewed on WPR this week? [/quote]

Thanks for bringing up that show , I almost forgot they've a review this week .
[quote]On May 29, 2016, Magician560 wrote:
I am interested as well. I still do not understand why it wasn't reviewed on WPR this week? [/quote]

Thanks for bringing up that show , I almost forgot they've a review this week . [/quote]

did you have a link?
[quote]On May 30, 2016, Andre_Sant wrote:
[quote]On May 29, 2016, Magician560 wrote:

Thanks for bringing up that show , I almost forgot they've a review this week . [/quote]

did you have a link? [/quote]
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=618065&forum=289
Hey guys,

Alex here with another review for you all, and this time it is with Shin Lim's Dream Act.

Whats In the Box?

You get a 2hour and 43 minute DVD with everything explained every detail.

You also get a special gimmick for the smoke, as well as another gimmick that looks like it came out of a James Bond movie.

You also get lots of gimmicked cards as well in the package.

The DVD first off covers the basic Fool Us effect that you have seen on youtube, and then afterwards, everything is broken down with a behind the scenes type angle so you can see everything that is going on.

There are some arts and crafts involved, but you will have the necessary around the house to make some of the gimmicks, they are not hard to make.

What you don't get is SSS which is a smoke device put out by Shin a while back, but he says you don't really need it for this routine.

Thoughts about the overall production values: It is basically Shin Lim I believe at someones house, with 2 friends, and him explaining everything to you......not much production values, but you get the essentials that you need to understand him fully, as well as appreciate the routine to its fullest.

Thoughts on arts and crafts: Again, not hard to make, if you don't have some stuff, you can get most of it at your local office suplly store, so I understand why they didn't include the gimmicks, since everyone is different and will adapt the gimmicks to their liking.

Thoughts on sound: Sounds was good, you could hear everything very clearly on the DVD, and no interruptions.

Thoughts on explanation/instruction: Again, very very good, Shin starts off with the basics of the whole routine, but then on the second part of the DVD goes in depth step by step.

Note: You will need to buy, a special something, that does not come with the DVD, or the package, but shouldnt cost you that much. Heck you can even build one up....this gimmick allows you to be able to lap and ditch items, as most of you will already know what it is.

Thoughts on psychology: Very well explained on the psychology of every action and move, and why he does them at the required time.

Note on angles: 45 degree angle from the table with 2 spectators.

Thoughts on secret of whole routine: Once you learn how all of this works, and then you go back and watch the full performance on youtube, everything becomes clear, and you actually appreciate the routine more. I was gobsmacked after learning this, and watching the routine, on how most of this whole routine plays out and works, but overall I was applauding Shin for the creativity that went behind building such an act.

Thoughts on act structure/routine: Shin covers this on the DVD, and is great because you get to really understand what it is like to prepare an act and structure it accordingly.

Overall thoughts: Now, I feel that this whole act is worthy of study of anyone who really wants to learn on how to build an act and put it together, learn some new moves and routining to add to your work, and in some cases, even people that want to take on the task of learning the act in its entirety, I feel that the asking price is right, since you are getting a lot of value for lots of advice.

There is something that I thought was really clever, Shin uses a mentalism principle on stage, for us mentalists, you will know what that is, and does it in such a beautiful way.

I guess some people might get this, and dismiss it, because of the following reasons:

a) will never perform the act
b) too much work to set everything up
c) might feel its not worth it because of items included for price
d) clothing requirements(only if you want to vanish the marker, and one other part of the routine for vanishing)
e) all the above

I believe everyone will view this differently, and some people's trash will be other people's treasure.

I also think that some will not see the true value of this release, not just the routine or gimmicks, but lots more.

My overall rating on a scale of 100 is 85/100

Thanks

Alex Alejandro
Thank you for a another great review.
Some folks value two hundred bucks more than I do. For me, it was worth it just to get a peek under the hood, even though I have no intention of ever performing this routine. Indeed, I can't imagine anyone other than Shin performing it, because it is "so him." Still, I'm glad I bought it, because I am working on creating a very artistic stage routine that is done to music and without speech, so just learning the approach to creating the Dream Act was helpful.

I'd love to hear if anyone actually performs this, and if so, where.
World Magic did not feel they had to or could review the Dream Act by Shin Lim, but Ekaterina Dobrokhotova did review this somewhat.

If you would like to view her thoughts, here is the video review.

[youtube]1QkLWyUSQn0[/youtube]
Just saw this yesterday too. Happy to ‘see‘ a review.
Great and honest review. It seems very contradictory to supply the SSS instructions but no gimmick. If your selling 'the act' then surely you should be supplied with everything you need to perform it. To me it seems like a way of up selling his additional products, which is a great marketing move but not so good for customer experience.
As I recall, SSS was sold basically as a how-to-build it, without much included in the package. He taught you where to source the materials. I could be wrong if he released later editions, though.
For the ppl who own it:
Can anyone tell me the name of the bottom control he's using during the mercury card fold section?

Thanks a lot.
Title: Dream Act
Creator: Shin Lim
Publisher: Murphy's Magic
MSRP: $ 200
Skill Level: Intermediate to advanced
DVD Run time: 2 hours and 43 minutes

Type of effect: Award winning magic routine

Manufacturer's Write Up:

In the 2015 FISM World Championships of Magic in Rimini Italy, Shin Lim was crowned the FISM World Champion of Close Up Card Magic. 2 weeks after Shin was featured on Pen & Tellers Fool Us, he immediately became a worldwide phenomenon, his YouTube video being viewed millions of times in just under a week. This was all because of his Dream Act.

The Dream Act is much more than a mere "trick". The Dream Act transcends the act of trying to fool a spectator, into becoming an artistic expression.

In this 3.5 hour long tutorial, Shin Lim reveals every aspect of the Dream Act. Not only does he teach every effect, method and action but goes much deeper by delving into the concepts of atmosphere, timing, theory, music, and movements in creating a silent synchronized (non-speaking) routine.

To date this is Shin Lim's most prized performance piece, a creation that took over six years to develop, and it can now be yours to learn.

Learn the Magic Behind the Magic...
This product is limited and will never be reprinted due to keeping this routine exclusive to only a few magicians.

How accurate is the ad copy?

It can be performed live. The version sold is basically the Fool Us version with a couple upgrades, which aren't very useful in a live performance, but he does give alternates. There are more gimmicks to be bought or made than I had anticipated. And I, for one, can imagine that some parts that could be learned and performed without doing the whole act.

If you have a reliable classic force, you can perform the routine much more easily than Shin teaches it, but you can never miss or you'll have a disaster on your hands.

It's definitely not a routine that you watch a couple times and then you can do it. There is a lot of content, and much of it is specific to the routine. Knowing its secrets, I actually like the routine better, now. There is even some misdirection in it that is specifically designed to mess with the heads of magicians.

What's in the box? All gimmicks are included (including: custom smoke gimmicks for card + smoke to mouth) Assembly is required. DVD has over 3.5 hours of in-depth teaching. Also included are the USB charger + 90mah automated battery + 1 atomizer strength (0mg) PLUS A BONUS: Download Video of "SSS" the 2015 Edition

How are the production values: I've owned a few Shin Lim products and this is hands down my favorite video and I wish more creators would make videos like this, there is so much I liked about this - from having a fellow creator give his comments has Shin Lin taught the routine, to ending with Shin Lim give director's commentary about his own "Fool Us" routine.

Is it well made: You get some quality products with this, however, I sort of wished you got just a little bit "more" for your money. I would have included an entire deck with box in this that consisted of half double facers and half blank cards (but that's just me)

Is it well taught: Very well taught, Shin goes over this over and over until you get it. He covers more bases than an aggressive short stop. In fact, I loved this video so much because it really teaches how to craft a routine, not to mention how to incorporate effects together into a working cohesive story.

My thoughts (what I personally liked/disliked): Now, I feel that this whole act is worthy of study of anyone who really wants to learn on how to build an act and put it together, learn some new moves and routining to add to your work, and in some cases, even people that want to take on the task of learning the act in its entirety, I feel that the asking price is right, since you are getting a lot of value for lots of advice.

Storage? Does it "pack flat?" Uh no, in fact to do this routine in it's entirety you need to be loaded for bear. You need to be strapped in. You need pretty much everything you saw Shin do in his act. The Dream Act is like a Darcy Oake dove act - hit after hit after hit.

Does it "play big?" This act plays so big Shin Lim won the close up category at FISM!

Difficulty / Skill level required: I'd say intermediate to advanced, but I wouldn't want to scare off any beginning magicians who love Shin Lim - I say, if you want to learn this - buy it.

How much arts and crafts are involved? There is more arts and crafts here than a week's worth of vacation bible school. (especially if you decide to build the SSS gimmick)

How practical is this in the real world? (can it really be done?) With tons of practice, the skill and panache of Shin Lim, a table, a close up mat, a few other things and the express written consent from the creator - then Yes... it can be done.

Overall score: let's toss out the traditional score of 1-10 and make this something that we all can appreciate and understand.

X Very Satisfied
_____ Somewhat Satisfied
_____ Neither Satisfied or Dissatisfied
_____ Somewhat Dissatisfied
_____ Very Dissatisfied
_____ No Opinion

This was a roller coast of emotion for me, before it came, I couldn't wait to see it. When I opened it, I was disappointed. When I watched the video all the way through I was in love. Thank you Shin Lim!

+ Hey do you want to see my full review with even more of my opinions and ideas? Visit this link for my video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMPLIVXTIpg
Can any owners of this comment if the custom gimmick looks anything like an e-cig?
Had ordered Smoke 2.0 and that got confiscated by authorities here in Singapore because we disallow e-cigs.
Refills of Smoke 1 were also prohibited. Any idea if the product has units and equipment like that?

If the custom gimmick does not resemble an e-cig, perhaps there's hope for me to order it!
Buy it from your dealer in your country . If your country bans E-Cig , my advice is to check your local dealer , some dealers can import devices related for magic even though it's banned in their country .

For Dream Act , well it looks quite like one though ... Well it is one in the first place ...
Shin goes into great details about this act. Although with the set up involved, I am unlikely to ever do it. It does make me appreciate the effort behind making magic happen. I have been disappointed with Shin's items before. But this one is a good one.
Assuming I don't want to do anything with smoke, but want to learn the act in general, dissapearing the pen, the transposition etc, will I still need to buy the "Extra" stuff (ie the mat, the products for SSS?)

Also, considering this is priced similar to David Regal's Linking Finger ring project (I know they arent the same to compare except for price) I am only really prepared to purchase one and while I had the ring effect in my wish-list, when Dream Act came out, I really would like to add 90% of this to my stage act sometime. I wonder, wonder, wonder which to get first (as the second purchase of $200+ wont happen anytime soon.)
Go for the finger ring , if you want practicality , not saying dream act is not practical but I guess you'll perform linking rings more if you've both . Also you can consider a cheaper ( and I think equally good ) option called Merge .

The Dream Act is just to spur your creativity to encourage you to come up with your own routine . I got this but nothing went to my professional set , it's just a nice thing to watch through . Everything works , and it works perfectly , but will I ever do this in paid events ? Em ... Maybe ? But likely not , everything is super well thought out but it suits Shin's style much more .
[quote]On May 18, 2016, Griflex wrote:

If there are parts of this act that you wish to learn and perform then its worth every penny to you :) [/quote]

Good luck with that. At the outset, his "company" basically threatens anyone with legal action should you perform it anywhere but in the privacy of your own home. (or someone else's)

Also, I wonder how the CW would take to him selling a DVD with their copyrighted footage on it?
[quote]On Jul 13, 2016, Stucky wrote:
[quote]On May 18, 2016, Griflex wrote:

If there are parts of this act that you wish to learn and perform then its worth every penny to you :) [/quote]

Good luck with that. At the outset, his "company" basically threatens anyone with legal action should you perform it anywhere but in the privacy of your own home. (or someone else's)

Also, I wonder how the CW would take to him selling a DVD with their copyrighted footage on it? [/quote]

This is probably a dumb question, but I assumed that normal performance rights were given on most magic releases unless the dvd says no (and I was told that Shin Lim only refused TV rights.) Is that correct or have I been unintentionally performing stuff on the streets and in variety shows without permission. (Streets for 4 years but the 10 min gig in the last couple of months.)

I was ready to throw my money at the Dream act thinking I can put it into a stage show.

Sorry for the ignorance
I do not perform card magic per say but I was so impressed with Shin Lim that I decided to buy this act. This is not an act that you would do close-up, it is designed and devised for stage. You can use elements from it which you can perform closeup but the whole act is designed as a stage act or at least in a drawing room. It cannot be performed surrounded. You would need to dig out your exacto knife before you can perform this. So if you are a lazy magician who wants to buy a trick and perform it as soon as you receive it, don't buy it. For me it was a very inspiring trick, it made be dig our my card tricks and start practasing again, so I think it is worth the money it is being sold for but there is a catch. The act has been copyrighted a la Teller. You do not get the rights to perform it on TV, Stage or any social media that includes YouTube and Facebook or likes. So you can only perform it at your local functions. And no you do not require a stooge. Rest has more or less been mentioned in other posts.
Sorry, I forgot to mention that SSS is sold as a seperate product as it is not necessarily required for this act and it in itself is a very fine gimmick. Shim teaches you how to make it but you would need to buy the material required to make it seperately. But you can buy the materiallocally and Shim even mentions where you can get it from. If you decide to buy SSS seperately it just costs 30$. For god's sake why are people cribbing so much.
Let's say it simple: If Shin Lim would communicate that buyers would receive more or less just the instructional video (download link) for approx. 200 USD and still would have to invest days to get all gimmicks together (as at least 50 percent of all needed stuff is missing), and if he would let buyers know that a performance is never possible in a normal table situation I guess he would sell 90 percent less. Although the act is fantastic, the selling of this act is a bluff package. don't get me wrong: I don't say that the secrets behind the routine is not worth the price but you have to say CLEARLY what you are selling. And by the way: it's the same with the SSS gimmick: you just receive a tube and download link for the clip and then: have much fun to buy the many remaining things and crafting!
Hi just a quick one I am looking at buying the dream Act as found a dealer with some in, for peolpe who have it dose it show you how to build or tell you how to get replacement gimmicks if you lose / break them
thanks
$133.97 with coupon code "33" on hocus pocus through midnight PST tonight.
Message: Posted by: Open up your mind (Feb 22, 2021 06:39AM)
Stooges aren't even allowed on FU or FISM so that would never have been a solution.