(Close Window)
Topic: Mr. Golden Balls by Ken Dyne
Message: Posted by: barts185 (Jun 23, 2016 10:12PM)
I thought that there was a thread about this, but my searchfu is apparently weak this evening. I tried various combinations of ken, dyne, golden, and balls and the only thing I found was his Penguin lecture.

Curious if anyone has this and if it's anywhere near as amusing as the trailer?

https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls/


Not that people need any prompting, but if there's another thread about this, feel free to point the way.

Thanks,
Bart
Message: Posted by: Barry Gitelson (Jun 24, 2016 12:03AM)
Best trailer/teaser/magic advert ever. IMHO.
Message: Posted by: tophatter (Jun 24, 2016 02:20AM)
I know what a Trailer Excellent !!
Message: Posted by: Stealthmode (Jun 25, 2016 06:43AM)
Brilliant trailer
Message: Posted by: Karl M (Jun 25, 2016 06:50AM)
Ken has the best ball bag in the bizness
Message: Posted by: John C (Jun 25, 2016 07:04AM)
All he needs now is a ball hammock.
Message: Posted by: drjohn (Jun 25, 2016 07:53AM)
Ive been using 'body language' by charles gauci for years and frankly my set is looking bloody shabby!!

Can anyone give a review as to how this compares?.. as I may upgrade so to speak
Message: Posted by: Brainbu$ter (Aug 29, 2016 07:38AM)
I have Mr. Goldenballs.

The bag itself had a stray thread coming out when I took it out of the tube.
Hope that won't start unraveling.

My balls are sticky.
It must be the paint he used.
I purchased some clear lacquer (or clear varnish)
for $4 and sprayed it on my balls. A couple coats.
With that finish, my balls feel amazing and they look shiny.

I'd prefer however that when I purchase something that it's ready to go
and won't need improvements.
I got the idea from a guy in the facebook group, who suggested applying clear varnish to make the balls less sticky.

When I performed it for the first time,
I did not include the prediction at the end, "Performer was left with the black ball."
I decided to scrap that because I felt it very weird for the routine.
Why would you do kurotsuke, have 4 people reach inside a bag to pick a ball so that you can sniff out the gold one,
only then to take out a ball for yourself? It doesn't make sense except for your prediction.

Not only does it not make sense for the main effect,
but also I think it may dilute the overall effect.
You are presenting "mindreading" or detecting whether someone is lying or telling the truth,
then at the end you pretty much show everyone that you knew beforehand what the outcome would be.

Turns out I might've been wrong.
I stayed after the show and performed close-up.
Two people, in conversation, told me, "You should be doing THIS on stage. This is amazing. Not that goldenballs stuff." (or words to that effect).
One couple said that what I did (Mr. G Balls) was easy,
and anyone in the audience would have a good chance telling who had the gold ball.
I feel that the funnier the questions you use, the less impressive it is, and the more mundane questions, the more impressive (but not funny).
For example, "What's your mother's maiden name?" Not funny. But impressive if you can tell whether he's lying.
On the other hand, "If you could kiss John Goodman or Danny Glover on the mouth, who would you choose?" (I just made that up just now).
That's a funny question, but his response ... actually that may qualify as impressive.
"What's your worst or most embarrassing habit?" is funny but NOT impressive, because in my limited experience,
one of the men said something ridiculous ("I watch Pitch Perfect 2, three times every day"). The audience laughed. Good thing.
However, it was extremely obvious that he did not have the gold ball.

In short, they were underwhelmed by Mr. G___balls (at least without the final prediction).
This was just one event, so it's not enough to draw any firm conclusions.
But I'd have to agree that discerning whether someone is lying or not (a 50/50 shot) is fairly boring (unless you're Derren Brown,
but even then, I personally find it some of the least entertaining effects he does).

I will say, however, that my presentation of it, with MY questions, was very funny (though not impressive, according to reports).
In my opinion, the questions Ken Dyne gives in the provided Powerpoint presentation are not that funny.
In fact, one of Dyne's "Sample Comedy Questions," is "What's your star sign?" and another is, "What color car do you drive?"
He had two that I thought were funny.

In contrast, my third question is (and I use only male volunteers to make this question funnier),
"If you had to pick, which of the other contestants would you go on a date with?"
This is funny because I've chosen all male contestants.
Then the next question is even funnier (sorry, not giving it away here).

One thing I don't like is that, if any of your audience googles "Mr G___balls,"
the only links that come up are Ken Dyne's website selling this trick, and this very thread.

You don't think they'll google it?
For this trick, two types of people may google it--not just the ones who want to know how it was done.

First, those who want to know how it was done (though it's mostly just funny).
That first group will DEFINITELY remember the NAME of the trick, since "MR G____BALLS" is shown on the big screens behind you as you perform it.

Second, and this is what makes this trick the most dangerous--because this is probably a much larger population--,
those who simply think the term, "Mr. G---balls, " is funny, and they simply want to look it up.
Ken Dyne came up with it. I know because I googled it for THIS reason. I just wanted to know more about the phrase,
and whether it was popular in America as well as in the UK. The links that came up were for this trick (including this thread).
Google it yourself right now and you'll see what I mean.


If I saw ANY performer or speaker mention that term and talk about what it means,
there is a GOOD CHANCE I would google it at some point. And I would be directed straight to the website where I can buy the trick.

How would you like it if every time you perform the Inv D_ck,
the title, "Inv____le D__k" were displayed on the screen behind you, and the announcer said, "It's now time for the Inv_____ D__k!!"

One other thing I dislike is that I feel that one of the important parts where you NEED patter,
specifically a joke or something misdirecting, is when one of the contestants is about to reach into the bag.
Between one contestant and another contestant, you need to be talking. Otherwise it will be obvious you're doing something unnatural for no good reason.
Dyne didn't address this in the teaching video.
What I used was, "Are you right-handed or left handed?" and "What's your name and occupation?" and "With your favorite hand, reach inside and you grab a ball." You can't, for example, simply let the 4 players reach inside and grab their balls.
You have to do something (obviously with the bag since you're holding it).
Since it should take you only half a second to go from one player to the next,
you should (I would think) turn to the audience and say something in between the players,
to give you a reason to fiddle with the bag.
This was not discussed in the teaching video.

I agree with those above who mentioned that the ad video for this trick is the funniest I've ever seen.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who appreciated how hilarious the advertisement was.

One more thing... on my first performance,
since I didn't do the prediction at the end,
I used 5 instead of 4 contestants.
By doing this, yes, I discarded the prediction at the end,
but at the same time I made the overall effect clearer (lie detection)
and more impressive as far as the main "lie dectector" effect goes (5 people instead of 4),
and funnier (because I could ask one or two more funny questions).
Message: Posted by: Mindpro (Aug 29, 2016 08:26AM)
Seems you've terribly missed the entire essence of what MGB is and how it should be performed. Including the powerful final prediction. Waaaay too much magician's thinking going on here. It is a mentalism effect that you diminished to the level of a magic trick which is why you got the exact responses you did and from the changes you did. The changes you've made lost the entire essence of the entire effect. You also performed it as a magician as well.

Other than the sticky ball situation, you should have known all of this before purchasing it. Not sure why you did this then? Effects like this and most mentalism are performer and personality driven. Perhaps the problem wasn't with the effect at all and you should be looking inward at your performance of it as your greatest concern. It's clear to see you performed it right out of the box, without taking to time to master it before attempting to do perform it. Not sure how you can take something so well thought thought and mess it up like this? Then have the golden balls to complain?
Message: Posted by: George Hunter (Aug 29, 2016 08:48AM)
I usually find myself agreeing with Mindpro, but in this instance I'd like to thank Brainbuster for his reflections on his first experiences with performing Mr GB. He identified some flaws in the props and a possible gap in the instructions, and his question about the wisdom of ending a lie detection effect with a prediction worth thinking about.

George
Message: Posted by: Brainbu$ter (Aug 29, 2016 04:26PM)
I appreciate your thoughts, Mindpro.
Just after the show, especially having interviewed a few of the audience,
I did decide to put the prediction back in.

Fortunately, I have my performance on video.

I agree that mentalism is personality-driven, as you wrote.
From the comments of the audience, they apparently loved my personality (and that was about it).
There was a lot of laughter and a few people after the show asked for my business card (after seeing some close-up stuff).

You said there was too much magicians' thinking my post.
You might've been referring to my simplifying the effect and my attempt to make it logical,
my attempt to present clearly one ability at a time instead of,

"I'm a proficient lie detector. Let me show you. And by the way,
I knew two weeks ago what balls you all would choose!" Wha-?


But I don't think that's what you meant (I'm not a mindpro).

Am I correct in assuming the "magicians' thinking"
you were referring to was my worry that some people might google it?

By "You diminished the effect to the level of a magic trick,"
I think you meant in my own mind, and not how it's perceived.

Certainly my audience didn't perceive a magic trick if all they saw was
my guessing who among 5 men held a gold ball--and even someone commented
after that it would've been pretty easy for anyone to discern the truth-teller.
He also added, "That wasn't magic." On probing, what he meant by "magic," was simply "amazing."
Of course he wasn't commenting on what was magic and what was mentalism.
When I asked him for an example of what he thought would be "magic,"
he said, "Just do anything you showed us [close-up]. Like this [he gestured to the back of my business card on which I had swamied something]."

What I performed was believable if anything.
Given that, no one from the first group (trying to figure out how that "trick" was done)
will be googling it.

You might also have been referring to my use of the word "trick,"
instead of "effect," or "experiment." Sorry about that.

If there has been any recent agreement or conclusion among mentalists
about whether clarity of effect or continuity of skill set
is important to the audience, I have not read it,
as I haven't frequented this site lately (in a year?).
In my personal experience, I am probably incorrect (in this thread)
in my worry that this will be jarring to an audience
so long as you aren't giving a speech on body language or psychological tells.
Message: Posted by: Ken Dyne (Sep 19, 2016 07:54AM)
Just saw this thread - so sorry for my absence.

Here's a few thoughts and updates:

- I am working on a new way of producing the balls as this was a huge issue when producing the sets. I'll keep you updated by email on what and when I have more information on this.

- Regarding the prediction, in my current show I've changed the routine a little again and don't use the trophy. Instead the prediction of the colour of the ball left for me in the bag is one of the many things that is predicted at the very end of the show.

I hope that helps :-)

- K
Message: Posted by: Atlas (Sep 21, 2016 03:00AM)
I love the trailer for this!

Best,

Atlas
Message: Posted by: o2b2b2 (Sep 24, 2016 05:11PM)
Where can I find more information on this? The link above does not have the actual props or trick listed.
Message: Posted by: Ken Dyne (Sep 28, 2016 04:57AM)
[quote]On Sep 24, 2016, o2b2b2 wrote:
Where can I find more information on this? The link above does not have the actual props or trick listed. [/quote]

Unfortunately I am not able to produce these right now, however I am in talks with a new supplier who will manufacture them to an even higher standard, and the balls will no longer be sticky.

Regarding the issues faced in the performance mentioned I really don't feel that it is fair to judge the effect if you miss out elements of the effect. I highly recommend that you give it another shot but play it as I have worked it over the years. There are small things I learned from the performances I give of this and that is what I have tried to pass on to you.

I have not supplied you with my exact script (and the script is not advertised as included) because honestly it's mine and suits me. Just as my questions don't suit you, my script at every other moment in this routine would not suit you either.

Thank you to Mindpro for your opinions. Those who have seen me lecture this know I am sure will agree it is a powerful routine that adds some bright colour in the middle of a show for me.

When you perform a routine is just as important as the routine itself. For example, if I had 15 mins on stage I would not perform Mr Golden Balls. However in a 60-minute set I do perform it because after a powerful opening and another routine I want to lighten the mood. Just like in the movies, you lighten the mood just before you hit them with your big reveal or emotional climax.

Make them laugh just before you make them cry ;)

I hope this insight is useful in helping you get better reactions from the routine. And am sorry that your first experience was not all you'd hoped for.
Message: Posted by: haresign (Jan 31, 2017 10:48AM)
For what it's worth MGB is a staple in my theatre shows and I have never had a problem with my bag or sticky balls! :-)
Message: Posted by: Ken Dyne (Mar 14, 2017 02:06AM)
Hi gang, just a heads up that I've had Mr Golden Balls produced again from scratch to an even higher standard.

The new balls are made to a custom size for us in a pool ball factory, and the new bag has a lovely hem along the edges to make this a prop designed to last for hundreds of performances.

They'll be available in limited quantity pretty soon, but I have made a short video to show you what the routine is all about, and even give you a sneak peek at the new set, here if it's of interest:

http://mentalunderground.com/lp/mr-golden-balls/

- K
Message: Posted by: wchoo002 (Mar 14, 2017 02:47AM)
The link is:
https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/

Can't wait for it to be out!
Message: Posted by: Ken Dyne (Mar 15, 2017 05:24AM)
[quote]On Mar 14, 2017, wchoo002 wrote:
The link is:
https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/

Can't wait for it to be out! [/quote]

Oh sorry man, that was just a test link, it's been taken down now (not sure how you found it?!). However if you are interested in knowing when it will be released you can use the link I gave:

http://mentalunderground.com/lp/mr-golden-balls/
Message: Posted by: Tony Venetico (Mar 18, 2017 05:03PM)
I just ordered it from Penguin yesterday, thinking it was the new one. Is this the new version, Ken? I sure hope so.....

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S22472
Message: Posted by: takeachance (Mar 18, 2017 05:49PM)
[quote]On Mar 18, 2017, Tony Venetico wrote:
I just ordered it from Penguin yesterday, thinking it was the new one. Is this the new version, Ken? I sure hope so.....

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S22472 [/quote]

Reading the add copy yes it is.

Ken's incredible Mr Golden Balls, totally re-vamped with the highest quality materials.
Supplied complete with high-quality, solid resin balls produced to a custom size for this routine by a pool ball factory
The bag is beautifully stitched to an even higher quality than the first version of Mr Golden Balls.
Message: Posted by: videoman (Mar 18, 2017 06:55PM)
Well, if Penguin has it then what is with the emails talking about only having 120 units available and they will sell out quickly?
But that's not the real issue, it's if I had ordered from Penguin their free shipping takes 2 days to arrive to me. Free shipping from the UK takes weeks.
Message: Posted by: saysold1 (Mar 18, 2017 07:14PM)
Killer trailer.

Killer routine.

Ordered yesterday.
Message: Posted by: saysold1 (Mar 18, 2017 07:25PM)
[quote]On Aug 29, 2016, Brainbu$ter wrote:
I have Mr. Goldenballs.

The bag itself had a stray thread coming out when I took it out of the tube.
Hope that won't start unraveling.

My balls are sticky.
It must be the paint he used.
I purchased some clear lacquer (or clear varnish)
for $4 and sprayed it on my balls. A couple coats.
With that finish, my balls feel amazing and they look shiny.

I'd prefer however that when I purchase something that it's ready to go
and won't need improvements.
I got the idea from a guy in the facebook group, who suggested applying clear varnish to make the balls less sticky.

When I performed it for the first time,
I did not include the prediction at the end, "Performer was left with the black ball."
I decided to scrap that because I felt it very weird for the routine.
Why would you do kurotsuke, have 4 people reach inside a bag to pick a ball so that you can sniff out the gold one,
only then to take out a ball for yourself? It doesn't make sense except for your prediction.

Not only does it not make sense for the main effect,
but also I think it may dilute the overall effect.
You are presenting "mindreading" or detecting whether someone is lying or telling the truth,
then at the end you pretty much show everyone that you knew beforehand what the outcome would be.

Turns out I might've been wrong.
I stayed after the show and performed close-up.
Two people, in conversation, told me, "You should be doing THIS on stage. This is amazing. Not that goldenballs stuff." (or words to that effect).
One couple said that what I did (Mr. G Balls) was easy,
and anyone in the audience would have a good chance telling who had the gold ball.
I feel that the funnier the questions you use, the less impressive it is, and the more mundane questions, the more impressive (but not funny).
For example, "What's your mother's maiden name?" Not funny. But impressive if you can tell whether he's lying.
On the other hand, "If you could kiss John Goodman or Danny Glover on the mouth, who would you choose?" (I just made that up just now).
That's a funny question, but his response ... actually that may qualify as impressive.
"What's your worst or most embarrassing habit?" is funny but NOT impressive, because in my limited experience,
one of the men said something ridiculous ("I watch Pitch Perfect 2, three times every day"). The audience laughed. Good thing.
However, it was extremely obvious that he did not have the gold ball.

In short, they were underwhelmed by Mr. G___balls (at least without the final prediction).
This was just one event, so it's not enough to draw any firm conclusions.
But I'd have to agree that discerning whether someone is lying or not (a 50/50 shot) is fairly boring (unless you're Derren Brown,
but even then, I personally find it some of the least entertaining effects he does).

I will say, however, that my presentation of it, with MY questions, was very funny (though not impressive, according to reports).
In my opinion, the questions Ken Dyne gives in the provided Powerpoint presentation are not that funny.
In fact, one of Dyne's "Sample Comedy Questions," is "What's your star sign?" and another is, "What color car do you drive?"
He had two that I thought were funny.

In contrast, my third question is (and I use only male volunteers to make this question funnier),
"If you had to pick, which of the other contestants would you go on a date with?"
This is funny because I've chosen all male contestants.
Then the next question is even funnier (sorry, not giving it away here).

One thing I don't like is that, if any of your audience googles "Mr G___balls,"
the only links that come up are Ken Dyne's website selling this trick, and this very thread.

You don't think they'll google it?
For this trick, two types of people may google it--not just the ones who want to know how it was done.

First, those who want to know how it was done (though it's mostly just funny).
That first group will DEFINITELY remember the NAME of the trick, since "MR G____BALLS" is shown on the big screens behind you as you perform it.

Second, and this is what makes this trick the most dangerous--because this is probably a much larger population--,
those who simply think the term, "Mr. G---balls, " is funny, and they simply want to look it up.
Ken Dyne came up with it. I know because I googled it for THIS reason. I just wanted to know more about the phrase,
and whether it was popular in America as well as in the UK. The links that came up were for this trick (including this thread).
Google it yourself right now and you'll see what I mean.


If I saw ANY performer or speaker mention that term and talk about what it means,
there is a GOOD CHANCE I would google it at some point. And I would be directed straight to the website where I can buy the trick.

How would you like it if every time you perform the Inv D_ck,
the title, "Inv____le D__k" were displayed on the screen behind you, and the announcer said, "It's now time for the Inv_____ D__k!!"

One other thing I dislike is that I feel that one of the important parts where you NEED patter,
specifically a joke or something misdirecting, is when one of the contestants is about to reach into the bag.
Between one contestant and another contestant, you need to be talking. Otherwise it will be obvious you're doing something unnatural for no good reason.
Dyne didn't address this in the teaching video.
What I used was, "Are you right-handed or left handed?" and "What's your name and occupation?" and "With your favorite hand, reach inside and you grab a ball." You can't, for example, simply let the 4 players reach inside and grab their balls.
You have to do something (obviously with the bag since you're holding it).
Since it should take you only half a second to go from one player to the next,
you should (I would think) turn to the audience and say something in between the players,
to give you a reason to fiddle with the bag.
This was not discussed in the teaching video.

I agree with those above who mentioned that the ad video for this trick is the funniest I've ever seen.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who appreciated how hilarious the advertisement was.

One more thing... on my first performance,
since I didn't do the prediction at the end,
I used 5 instead of 4 contestants.
By doing this, yes, I discarded the prediction at the end,
but at the same time I made the overall effect clearer (lie detection)
and more impressive as far as the main "lie dectector" effect goes (5 people instead of 4),
and funnier (because I could ask one or two more funny questions). [/quote]

So I have seen Ken perform this in person and at his Penguin lecture and it really is a treat - and the ending with the ball in the bag does play well when I have seen him perform it.

Ken took the standard kurotsuke we all know and love - and put it on steroids with comedy and the extra twist at the end. That ending (and I have not performed this) does not dillute but adds the extra kick/twist that if performed correctly can elevate.

But that is just what I think. I know this is a tried and true stunner for Ken that he has used successfully as a working pro on cruise ships and more hundreds of times.

I have done standard kurotsuke many times myself - fun as well, but lets face it the audience ultimately knows where everything is headed even if they don't know who will have the sought out ball. That doesn't hurt the effect, but the standard has always been pretty linear.

Ken's comedy and the final twist seem like a winner but I will only know more after road testing myself and making this my own - and not Ken's (since I am not even 25% as funny).

BRETT
Message: Posted by: George Hunter (Mar 19, 2017 05:20PM)
The basic effect and the two revelations, according to the video, appear to be the same as the first edition of Golden Balls. I am sure the new and improved version, with a more recommended bag and balls, is better than the first one.

My problem is, I bought the first one. From an earlier experience with another vendor, when I bought their original and then the "good" one, my policy is not to do that any more. I believe that it is the vendor's job to do the R & D, and field testing, to get it right the first time. So I am passing on this. This is probably my loss, but I will live with that.

George
Message: Posted by: The Duster (Mar 19, 2017 05:50PM)
I guess one colour ball remains in the bag [?]

So you are not left with the 'black' ball - if anyone is actually watching [?]

I am thinking of getting this - so I got the penguin lecture... to help me decide

I have to say - I'm happy that this thread got me to buy the lecture - as I'm almost two hours in and it is rather good

Also I'm not sure if he's referencing PT - but his thoughts on mentalism today [not watched it all the way through - so shush don't spoil the ending...] is exactly what I think. But I'm not in any way experienced as a mentalist - and so for me it's just my personal taste...

Anyway - so one colour [and the black ball] are left in the bag - is that right

Has anyone every found you [the mentalist] out and called you on this [?]

As I fear some of my smaller parlour shows I have to be very bullet proof on effects as they are not going to be forgiving

Also any reviews - either of the new version - or better still from in the trenches and how it plays

As a small note - after having read this thread - watching the lecture... I can see that the post about funny questions makes sense. Except it's not the questions - if people go for funny answers - then it's obvious they are not Golden Balls

I do want it to be funny and the audience to be funny

I'm already thinking of work arounds... maybe not lie/truth... not sure if this is an awful idea - or a great way around the problem with answers/questions being funny [and I do think it takes away from the effect, <if it seems too easy to know who is lying as they are being funny> and that is not me suffering from magicians thinking in the slightest... I felt that way in the lecture performance 'bitng my toenails' hmm]... I will tell them they can lie or tell the truth [all of them] - but the one with the golden ball has to think of his golden ball [at some point while he's giving his answer]

... then I can put some business in... 'hmm you were thinking of something but it might be ????' yadda yadda

And I can take them out with 'you were not thinking of GB so you don't have it'

As I would want to ramp up the humour

And yet I would take out <in performance> the words/term 'Mr Golden Balls' [and never refer to the effect with those words] - if they are riding high and point to this on Google

So you can see I am seriously thinking about buying this

I just have slight [magician’s thinking] worry about their logically being two colour balls left in the bag [when you claim you are left with black] - unless I misunderstood how this plays [from the lecture] and for £90+ be nice to hear from a couple of people who have played this to audiences... though having watched his lecture - I trust this is a worker... it would seal the deal if I knew that the new improved version came with a fully functioning Dyne Wig
Message: Posted by: Hudson Lee (Mar 20, 2017 03:48PM)
Edit to my post: Ken and his office have resolved the issue. Great and personable service as always.
Message: Posted by: Ken Dyne (Mar 21, 2017 09:48AM)
Hiya,

Sorry I haven't been here to respond as quickly as I'd like - moving house so am surrounded by my whole life in boxes.

Regrading the questions regarding what is 'new' with this version:

1. Compared to that shared in the Penguin Live lecture
- In the lecture the bag cannot be turned upside down at the start to show it empty. In this version, you can, using a specially designed and crafted bag I've had made.

2. Compared to the short run I did of Mr Golden Balls last year
- I was happy at the time with the sets, however, some people came back to me saying they had issues with the balls. So, I stopped production because I'd rather not sell something rather than be selling something that people aren't totally happy with. What I was selling was the way I was using it, using the exact props I use, but that's totally fine as it's your money you're spending and if you had issues with it I thought it best to stop production.

The new sets come with solid resin coloured balls made by a pool ball company to an entirely new quality standard.

One thing that I love so much about the art of magic/mentalism is that we can constantly develop ideas, build on them and improve. Like all art, it is never finished, merely abandoned. And I don't know about you, but I don't stop thinking about my routines once they're released. I constantly want to create and improve - so that's what this newest production of Mr G represents, and I hope you like it.

Regarding the limited run - I only have 120 of them here, Murphys Magic have a supply too, but if you want to get it direct from me then I do only have 120 of them in at the moment , and I just checked in with the girls downstairs who are packaging them up and mailing them out and they are more than half way through getting them all out to all of you who have grabbed your own set :)

Best,
- K
Message: Posted by: illusioneer (Mar 22, 2017 05:06AM)
I understand that the bag is a new and different design than what was used on the Lecture. However, can the bag now supplied still be utilized as a sw***h bag outside of the MR. GB routine?
Message: Posted by: Legendary Wizard (Mar 22, 2017 11:14AM)
Just ordered , looking forward to using it soon .
Message: Posted by: Mindpro (Mar 23, 2017 12:47PM)
Is there a benefit or advantage to ordering this directly from you vs. Penguin or Murphy's?
Message: Posted by: Ken Dyne (Mar 23, 2017 02:42PM)
[quote]On Mar 22, 2017, illusioneer wrote:
I understand that the bag is a new and different design than what was used on the Lecture. However, can the bag now supplied still be utilized as a sw***h bag outside of the MR. GB routine? [/quote]

Yes, the bag does have a 2-compartment element that you can use for other routines :)
Message: Posted by: Ken Dyne (Mar 23, 2017 02:44PM)
[quote]On Mar 23, 2017, Mindpro wrote:
Is there a benefit or advantage to ordering this directly from you vs. Penguin or Murphy's? [/quote]

Not really, only that I make a couple of extra pounds and I can personally kiss the box for you. Other than that, your local brick magic shop will be able to carry Mr G and I think it's important we support these as they are getting fewer and fewer every year now.
Message: Posted by: Poof-Daddy (Mar 23, 2017 07:13PM)
[quote]On Mar 23, 2017, Ken Dyne wrote:
[quote]On Mar 23, 2017, Mindpro wrote:
Is there a benefit or advantage to ordering this directly from you vs. Penguin or Murphy's? [/quote]

Not really, only that I make a couple of extra pounds and I can personally kiss the box for you. Other than that, your local brick magic shop will be able to carry Mr G and I think it's important we support these as they are getting fewer and fewer every year now. [/quote]

I always "Try" to support creators / artists first but it is refreshing to see one that also understands the very real need to also support our everlowering number of brick and mortar shops. (My local shop in Pittsburgh Pa is in the final stage of closing after 40+ years in business).

I really love the new trailer for this (as others have mentioned throughout this thread) and was not aware of this effect until today. I am not a "mentalist", nor do I do many effects that even "lean" that way. However, once in a while, I do a "totally adult" comedy / obnoxious magician bar act and would consider adding something like this just for the sheer amount of "bag and ball jokes". I was almost in tears laughing at myself and the stories I could make up just reading Brainbu$ters first tale about it. The jokes just write themselves :-)

I don't mean to take away any of the seriousness of the effect for those true "mentalists" who wish to play this straight in their performances but I see some real "Comedy Gold" here (pun intended).
Message: Posted by: George Hunter (Mar 23, 2017 07:36PM)
Well, I found Ken's reflection fairly persuasive and impulsively sprang for the new revised second edition with the pool-type balls.

I am looking forward to their arrival. Still, I hope he doesn't come out with a third edition!

George
Message: Posted by: The Duster (Mar 23, 2017 09:41PM)
[quote]On Mar 23, 2017, Ken Dyne wrote:
[quote]On Mar 23, 2017, Mindpro wrote:
Is there a benefit or advantage to ordering this directly from you vs. Penguin or Murphy's? [/quote]

Not really, your local brick magic shop will be able to carry Mr G and I think it's important we support these as they are getting fewer and fewer every year now. [/quote]

I enjoyed the lecture and was happy to hear your statement on the state of the art - wish you could have gone further

So please don't think I'm a hater here at all

I always try and order from a certain shop - as I want to support them

They will match prices

But from what I understand they couldn't match the direct price - though [the implication was] they 'should have - but that's another story'

This works out as over £90 from shops, and £65 direct

So I bought this directly from you

It seems like you make the same money if it's direct or not - as the shops don't seem to be getting a fair chance to be competitive

As I said I’m really not hating on you… just mentioning that your statement may not be entirely fair to the shops – as you are making them seem rather greedy [?]

Also if you kept your price in line [£90 direct] you would be making more money on direct sales

From a personal point of view – I’m indifferent – as I will still support the shop [where ever I can] in future – and I am happier that the inventor gets more of the money anyway

So not a hater – more of a lover… so I’m even more glad I went direct now I know I will be getting a kiss included [for no extra cost]

I may be the only one to want this – but a closed Facebook group for owners would be of interest – as I would be keen to see how others plan to use the prop

As I said further up – the longer ‘bad review’ at the start of this thread – is [in my very possibly wrong opinion] correct that the ‘funnier’ you make the questions – the smaller the effect will impress. I love funny. I want to mess around with ideas to make it as funny but without diminishing the ‘power’ the performing is ‘showing’ – so a closed Facebook group would be a great place to chat – without giving away ‘free’ ideas to people who haven’t bought the product

Anyway each time I check your website the number left seems to halve… was almost 60, then 31, now 16 left… and that’s just in the last day or two… be sold out soon guys
Message: Posted by: Mindpro (Mar 23, 2017 09:45PM)
I usually try to support the creator direct myself, but it can often be more expensive with shipping, etc. Good points about supporting magic shops as well. I was just curious as sometimes there are greater discounts, incentives or other bonuses or perks from buying from the creator direct. Thanks for your quick reply Ken. I wish you much success with this updated release.
Message: Posted by: Ken Dyne (Mar 24, 2017 01:41AM)
[quote]On Mar 23, 2017, The Duster wrote:

from what I understand they couldn't match the direct price - though [the implication was] they 'should have - but that's another story'

This works out as over £90 from shops, and £65 direct

So I bought this directly from you [/quote]

Thanks for your nice words, much appreciate it.

To give you some more info, regarding the presentation and the comedic element, the truth is that I only perform with as a 'game show' with all of the comedy about 30-40% of the time. I chose to present that in the trailer as it made for a funny, quirky trailer that I thought would be fun for my pals in the community. However, as mentioned in the copy on my site, I actually present this with corporate messages regarding finding the 'gold', or as a more serious body language reading/lie detection routine. The game show format would not work at most of the gigs I do, but its good fun for the time/place where it is suitable.

Regarding the magic shop prices: on release, I have a special 'launch price' for my customers and people on my mailing list so if you buy direct from me to begin with you get that deal. The price actually goes up today (Friday). I'll be putting it up once I get back from the theatre tonight. The thing with pricing is that for a magic shop to carry this I have to discount enough to sell to Murphys wholesalers, then they make their margin, who then sell to the magic shop who make their margin. And as I am sure you can imagine having custom molds and custom balls produced, then the bags and all of the packaging, and then shipped across to the USA comes with a pretty hefty investment. Hope that makes the pricing a little more clear. Basically, I still make a LOT more when people buy direct from me, as the price I wholesale them at is WAY less than you might imagine.

I should have just put out another e-book - I could have charged more and spent less ;)

That all said, I think it's critical that we support our magic shops. These are the places where many of us began our journeys, got bitten by the bug that has become our love. In the next few days my local magic shop, Magic Box will close their main shop in the next few weeks and relocate to a non city-centre location. This shop has been there for years, and it will be sorely missed.

Thanks for your support, if you have any more questions at all I'll get back to you asap (I may be slow today as I'm at a funeral and then to the theatre tonight but I'll do my best).

- K
Message: Posted by: academy (Mar 24, 2017 10:33AM)
I would be disappointed if Beverly Hills 90210 song is not included on the cd! Great trailer Ken.
Message: Posted by: Xcath1 (Mar 24, 2017 09:14PM)
I purchased from Penguin and have tried to register for the online videos, has anyone gotten a password this way?
Message: Posted by: Tim Hannig (Mar 25, 2017 11:10AM)
QUOTE:
"However, as mentioned in the copy on my site, I actually present this with corporate messages regarding finding the 'gold', or as a more serious body language reading/lie detection routine. The game show format would not work at most of the gigs I do, but its good fun for the time/place where it is suitable."
___________________

Sounds like you present it "clean" most of the time. But that script is NOT provided, correct?

I'm mainly interested in how you work it most of the time.... making it entertaining without all of the ball jokes.
Thanks.
Message: Posted by: Ken Dyne (Mar 25, 2017 12:06PM)
[quote]On Mar 24, 2017, Xcath1 wrote:
I purchased from Penguin and have tried to register for the online videos, has anyone gotten a password this way? [/quote]

Sorry about that, drop an email over to me at support@kennedysoffice.com and I'll look in to this for you.
Message: Posted by: Ken Dyne (Mar 25, 2017 12:09PM)
[quote]
Sounds like you present it "clean" most of the time. But that script is NOT provided, correct?

I'm mainly interested in how you work it most of the time.... making it entertaining without all of the ball jokes.
Thanks. [/quote]

Hey buddy!

The script is not provided, that's right. Mainly because most of the time I present this in a customised way for the group or company I'm performing for. For example for a recruitment company, we might talk about finding people is like searching for gold, however for a technical person it might be about transparency and honesty. The key in my corporate entertainment gigs is to shape the show around a message for key point for the client, hence I can't give away actual scripts for the way I do the routine most of the time.

If however you find yourself in a comedy club, bags and balls might be one way to go.

Other presentations about be around body language, or about dowsing, or perhaps about lie detection, or even perhaps intuition.
Message: Posted by: lucavolpe (Mar 26, 2017 06:34AM)
This new set is awesome! Great quality! This is THE perfect routine that can be done in any performance situation and the huge us is that is finally something different from the classic karotzuke! The entertaining factor is huge! Well done clever Kennedy!!! I wish I created it!!
Message: Posted by: Ken Dyne (Mar 26, 2017 06:37AM)
[quote]On Mar 26, 2017, lucavolpe wrote:
This new set is awesome! Great quality! This is THE perfect routine that can be done in any performance situation and the huge us is that is finally something different from the classic karotzuke! The entertaining factor is huge! Well done clever Kennedy!!! I wish I created it!! [/quote]

Oh behave you charming Italian you! Thanks man. As you've probably figured out: you can easily wrap corporate messaging around this - or just present it as pure entertainment.
Message: Posted by: Hudson Lee (Mar 27, 2017 04:21PM)
Is anyone else having trouble viewing the videos on ken's website? The power point slides are up, but I can't seem to load the videos.
Message: Posted by: Lior (Mar 27, 2017 04:59PM)
Thanks for a very good product that looks good,
Feels good and is workable.
Lior
Message: Posted by: Ken Dyne (Mar 27, 2017 05:05PM)
[quote]On Mar 27, 2017, Hudson Lee wrote:
Is anyone else having trouble viewing the videos on ken's website? The power point slides are up, but I can't seem to load the videos. [/quote]

Hi Hudson, sorry to hear that. If you have any issues drop an email over to support@kennedysoffice.com and we'll look in to it. Seem to be working ok for me at this end though.
Message: Posted by: sbays (Mar 27, 2017 05:29PM)
I had the chance to look this product over at the Magic Castle this weekend, and it is VERY well made. The balls and the bag are very high quality. And the features in the bag are also great. The packaging was vey nice as well. If you like this type of routine then you will love this kit.

Nicely done Ken.
Message: Posted by: George Hunter (Mar 27, 2017 07:25PM)
I ordered from Penguin late Thursday. It shipped on Friday, arrived on Monday!

George
Message: Posted by: Daren (Mar 28, 2017 01:02AM)
I ordered on Tuesday in the U.K. and nothing so far! 😞
Message: Posted by: Daren (Mar 28, 2017 01:03AM)
Should of ordered from USA! Lol
Message: Posted by: RenzIII (Mar 31, 2017 10:29AM)
If anyone is on the fence about this updated version of Mr. Golden Balls, don't be. The balls look great and are very durable (made by a billiard ball company Ken indicates,) the bag itself is really well done, nicely stitched and feels good in the hands and can be used for other routines (Baldpate, Billets etc.)

The online videos give an explanation of the props and their mechanics. The routine is basic explanation, I would say any seasoned professional should have no problem finding many ways to go about this routine. On the videos Ken also discusses several variation ideas for the routine. From the online link you can also download graphics for the routine that you can use, or otherwise, as I am going to do use as them as a guide to make your own graphics suiting your style or concepts for presentation.

What Ken has done here is provide us with a professional grade set of props and ugraded concept on a classic effect that can be molded to fit your personality and style. Lastly the price point is more than fair for what your will recieve. The packaging is equally impressive.

It seems to have sold out quickly from many dealers, I'm not surprised. As I said if your on the fence, have no fear Mr. Golden Balls is here.

Go buy it now, Ken needs more hair gel !

Great product Ken,
Renzo
Message: Posted by: Legendary Wizard (Apr 20, 2017 04:13AM)
Just received this set , I must say I'm quite unpleased with the gold ball . Out of the three balls I received , one of them has a part chipped off , and some of its paint was faded , making the part exposing some black core . The other two gold balls are alright , not exactly as perfect as I expected but , it looks decent .

On the other hand , the other colored balls , bags and instructions are very well done , just hope that I can get another good gold ball . I'm not particularly worried that audiences may spot the imperfection , but for the price , it should come with top notch props . Also if the paint is already faided when I first received it , I really worry what would happen if that defected ball goes through real performance setting .

I hope I'm just an anomaly that received this set . I'm sure my problem will be resolved and I've confidence with Ken's customer service but , I thought I'll point this out so others are aware .
Message: Posted by: Mindpro (Apr 20, 2017 06:23AM)
Keep us posted please. I too am watching his customer service, as after asking my questions here I encouraged a friend of mine (employee) to order this directly from Ken to support the creator. That was about a month or so ago and he still hasn't received it or heard anything about it at all. Others who ordered the same day from Penguin received theirs in two days. I told him to extend a little patience as it was coming from the UK, but so far nothing, not even an update or estimated ETA, so I do have an interest and concern. Keep us posted.
Message: Posted by: The Duster (Apr 20, 2017 08:52AM)
I bought direct

I bought when in stock

It hadn't come three weeks later - I posted that on here [in a friendly way] as emails were ignored - as I said on here, I was in no rush - just wondered whether it had been sent and got lost...

Of course it turns up the next day - so I asked for my post to be taken down

I would guess - if you buy from a dealer - they will send it out straight away [if in stock] - if you go direct, Ken is a working professional and so things may slip a bit... but if you are not in a hurry then it's better to go direct so that the creator gets a higher reward for being the genius behind the effect...

I would suggest that the defective golden ball will be replaced - but it may take a while

Do check out the FB group as you will see that maybe you need one less GB than you might think you do [as there is a better way to present on there]

The GBs feel like they are made out of a different material to the others [slightly] - but could be my imagination
Message: Posted by: Legendary Wizard (Apr 20, 2017 10:35AM)
So far , the customer service is exceptional , I was promised another golden ball when they've finished with newer and better quality balls . I'll update again when I've received a decent one . But at the look of it now , it may take a while and I'll just have to stick with the defective one to practice and perform in brightly lit environment ( it covers the faded part better due to reflection ) . I'm just added into the group though , the information contained there is golden .
Message: Posted by: Xcath1 (Apr 20, 2017 11:44AM)
The golden ball is described as being painted and varnished.
Message: Posted by: Legendary Wizard (Apr 20, 2017 12:45PM)
[quote]On Apr 21, 2017, Xcath1 wrote:
The golden ball is described as being painted and varnished. [/quote]

I agree to both , but ,

The painting on one of my ball doesn't seem to be finished or thick enough ( i.e. I can see the black core through ) . As far as varnishing goes , yes it is varnished , but one of my ball is , chipped very deeply , the other two had small cracks in them , it's just one or two very fine crack on each of the gold balls .

Btw the set I have is the newest version . They told me they've some quality control problems , and that they're currently in the process of arranging for new, better quality balls to be produced , the replacement ball they promised to send me will be the new, better quality Balls . I hope the new Ball I get will be fine , will keep you guys posted along the way .
Message: Posted by: Xcath1 (Apr 20, 2017 01:07PM)
Sounds good. The gold on my ball (no joke) is not perfectly even but reasonable
Message: Posted by: Legendary Wizard (Apr 20, 2017 05:44PM)
The colored balls are perfect . If they could produce the gold ones the same way as colored ones that'll be so great ... is a gold core ball that hard to produce ?
Message: Posted by: The Duster (Apr 20, 2017 07:25PM)
[quote]On Apr 20, 2017, Legendary Wizard wrote:
The colored balls are perfect . If they could produce the gold ones the same way as colored ones that'll be so great ... is a gold core ball that hard to produce ? [/quote]

I would guess - yes

As the other colours could easily be part of mini snooker sets

Which don't have the colour gold in them

So the gold one might be the only one that needs to be specially made and not bought from runs made for snooker sets

Maybe
Message: Posted by: Legendary Wizard (Apr 21, 2017 08:48AM)
Update on customer service . So far , I'm satisfied , really . Without hesitation , they noted me that they'll instead send 3 gold balls for me for replacement . NOW that's good service , I'm pleased , just two days and I think I'm fully taken care of . Now the last step is to wait for replacement it to arrive , when it comes , I'll let you guys know again about the quality . Thank you Ken and Eddy .
Message: Posted by: Legendary Wizard (Apr 21, 2017 08:50AM)
[quote]On Apr 21, 2017, The Duster wrote:
[quote]On Apr 20, 2017, Legendary Wizard wrote:
The colored balls are perfect . If they could produce the gold ones the same way as colored ones that'll be so great ... is a gold core ball that hard to produce ? [/quote]

I would guess - yes

As the other colours could easily be part of mini snooker sets

Which don't have the colour gold in them

So the gold one might be the only one that needs to be specially made and not bought from runs made for snooker sets

Maybe [/quote]

Well , that does make sense actually . Thanks for the input .
Message: Posted by: Ken Dyne (Apr 24, 2017 05:20AM)
Hi boys and girls,

Just picking up on this thread now. To give you some clarity and answers:

The balls are being produced for me in a custom size for the routine using custom molds in a pool ball factory.

However, the factory informed me that it is not possible to produce Gold balls this was as metallic finish resin doesn't work. So those had to be produced in black and then painted. 3 layers of gold paint followed by a varnish.

The samples I was sent were perfect and so after agreeing on everything we went into production.

I have had a small handful of people contact Eddy in my office to say that their gold balls arrived scratched or chipped. Which I don't find acceptable. So I am in talks with the producers of the balls to get thicker varnish, and perhaps a 2nd layer of varnish on them so they arrive with you in the best condition.

Regarding speed of fulfilment, this is something I have been working on, as you know I perform full time and am on the road either performing or lecturing, or attending conventions, seeing friends etc etc so I last week our new fulfilment system went live and all orders are being fulfilled by someone else in my office every single day. So dispatch will be quicker than ever.

Add to that, Eddy is here for support issues, questions etc.

I'm taking customer support very very seriously indeed and doing all I can to step things up because I appreciate your support and really want to continue sharing my ideas with you.

That all said, post has been taking up to 30 days to arrive in the USA. Some people who have bought small booklets are telling me they are arriving 30 days after we shipped them, I wish there was something I could do about that but unfortunately there isn't much.

Thanks again, I hope all of this anwers some questions and shows you a bit more of what is going on here.

- K
Message: Posted by: Kristian Skovbo (Apr 25, 2017 12:28AM)
Hi Ken

I order yesterday, when will my order be out?
Message: Posted by: Ken Dyne (Apr 25, 2017 02:48AM)
[quote]On Apr 25, 2017, Kristian Skovbo wrote:
Hi Ken

I order yesterday, when will my order be out? [/quote]

Hi Kristian, orders are checked at 3pm each day and fulfilled. So if you ordered before 3pm UK time yesterday then it went out yesterday. If it was after 3pm UK time when you placed your order then it will go out today for you.

Thanks again, enjoy!
Message: Posted by: Legendary Wizard (Jul 22, 2017 08:07AM)
What a surprise . So here's an update . Few month ago I requested for additional golden Balls as the ones I received was scratched . Nothing much was heard since but just yesterday , I got my replacement ! The new Balls looked perfect . No scratches at all , now my set is complete ... finally . Really impressed with the service and product . Thank you Ken :)
Message: Posted by: rjs (Jul 22, 2017 02:09PM)
Like Legendary Wizard, I have a similar problem with two of the three golden balls.
Incomplete, inconsistent application of the gold paint.
The coloured balls are fine though.
I bought the Golden Balls set from Ken himself at the recent Newcastle MINDS convention.

I will see if I can now get two golden replacements.

By the way, Robbie, on the facebook group, has streamlined the trick using only two golden balls.
Message: Posted by: Ken Dyne (Jan 12, 2019 03:19AM)
Hi folks - with the new sets of Mr Golden Balls that went on pre-sale globally last night, we've improved the Gold balls.

They were always tricky little blighters because, as I mentioned previously, metallic colours don't work in the resin moulds (according to the factory who make the other colour balls for me).

Even though only a small number of people had issues with the gold balls in the last run, I wasn't happy that some people's balls were getting damaged en route to them. So, we've added a whole extra process to make the gold balls harder wearing this time around. While the cost of doing that is obviously higher, I don't want to pass that cost on to customers so the price is going to be the same.

I've also put together a PDF of some of the routines and presentations I have created and use (existing Mr G customers, you'll find this in the online log in area).

I'm really excited that Mr Golden Balls is available once again - thanks for your support.
Message: Posted by: DavidKenney (Jan 12, 2019 08:17AM)
Ken do you have a video of the live routine? I didn't see one included in this new set. (did I miss it?)
Message: Posted by: efrados (Jan 23, 2019 04:46AM)
Sorry to ask this... What is the difference between odd ball 2 from marc oberon and Mr golden Balls... I know the method is different, I'm interested mostly in the spectator point of view. Are the balls different in size? I like the colors of Mr Golden Balls, I would like to know the difference in the balls and bag and if just the funny presentation worth the investment. Thanks
Message: Posted by: aligator (Jan 23, 2019 10:02AM)
I would like to hear the same, preferably from someone who has purchased the effect.
Message: Posted by: rowland (Jan 27, 2019 02:41AM)
[quote]On Jan 23, 2019, efrados wrote:
Sorry to ask this... What is the difference between odd ball 2 from marc oberon and Mr golden Balls... I know the method is different, I'm interested mostly in the spectator point of view. Are the balls different in size? I like the colors of Mr Golden Balls, I would like to know the difference in the balls and bag and if just the funny presentation worth the investment. Thanks [/quote]

From a spectatpoint of view I shouldn’t think there will be any difference.
Message: Posted by: smikey12000 (Jan 27, 2019 06:45AM)
Hi Magic Orthodoxy
First off thanx for all you do for all of us
Your reviews are a pleasure to watch and glean from
Please continue your great work

Ken Dyne performs his full
Golden Balls routine from start to finish
With explanations
on his Penguin Lecture
It’s a fun comedy filled routine
One might want to mix up the questions a bit
For different types of audiences
I hear though that it would have nice to include a full performance
In the updated project as well
Message: Posted by: Tim Hannig (Jan 27, 2019 08:39AM)
I work a lot for corporate and family audiences, so I’d love to see the routine without any of the double entendres or sexual humor. 😎
Message: Posted by: smikey12000 (Jan 27, 2019 09:52AM)
Agreed Tim
Finding interesting entertaining clean appropriate thought provoking
Tell the truth / Lie questions
( enough adjectives there?)
Is a challenge
Takes some thought
Message: Posted by: Ken Dyne (Apr 22, 2019 02:45AM)
[quote]On Jan 27, 2019, rowland wrote:
[quote]On Jan 23, 2019, efrados wrote:
Sorry to ask this... What is the difference between odd ball 2 from marc oberon and Mr golden Balls... I know the method is different, I'm interested mostly in the spectator point of view. Are the balls different in size? I like the colors of Mr Golden Balls, I would like to know the difference in the balls and bag and if just the funny presentation worth the investment. Thanks [/quote]

From a spectatpoint of view I shouldn’t think there will be any difference. [/quote]

Sorry for the delay, I don't check in here much.

Marc's Odd Ball is a fantastic routine and a great solution to the routine.

In terms of difference, as well as the method being different, the main difference is around the reason the effect of Mr Golden Balls came to being in the first place.

That is the kicker ending, an additional punch in Mr Golden Balls that brings the routine to a nice close and adds an extra surprise to the routine, which is what I was looking for when I came up with it.

Hope that helps.