(Close Window)
Topic: Which is Best? SAM or IBM?
I know the answer probably is both, but is it more like Chicken or Fish or Ford or Chevy? I don't know, that's why I'm asking..i was a member of SAM for years, I moved to North Carolina from Maryland and found the closest club to me was an IBM ring (#199 in Raleigh) so I thought it would be best/serve me better... if I became a member of IBM, which I did....Sooo, I'm guessing the question may be moot at this point Yes?
"Ask not what you can GET from your country..."
Both have monthly magazines, both have local clubs in most areas, both have annual conventions. I don't know if there really is a "best" regarding these two organizations. A lot may depend on the membership of these clubs. Some are very interactive and others are the typical clique groups. I personally have belonged to both org for over 50 years and have gotten benefit from both.
If you go by the magazine, there is only one clear choice.
[quote]On Jul 22, 2016, Ba Ba Booey wrote:
If you go by the magazine, there is only one clear choice. [/quote]

You must mean "Genii" :rotf:

It all depends on your point of view. Neither the Linking Ring nor MUM is the magazine they used to be.
True, The Linking Ring nor the MUM are what they used to be.

But for me, MUM is a way better published magazine without all of the fluff that TLR has in it. More color, better columns, better photographs, and frankly a better editor and publisher.

Rodney
As the original poster...It sounds like the choice is more personal choice than anything else!!! like choosing between Ford and Chevy.
Can someone be a member of both?
[quote]On Aug 9, 2016, blurrylines wrote:
Can someone be a member of both? [/quote]

Yes! I am a member of both and I also subscribe to GENII and MAGIC.
[quote]On Jul 23, 2016, Dave Scribner wrote:
[quote]On Jul 22, 2016, Ba Ba Booey wrote:
If you go by the magazine, there is only one clear choice. [/quote]

You must mean "Genii" :rotf:

It all depends on your point of view. Neither the Linking Ring nor MUM is the magazine they used to be. [/quote]

Wow, did you say a mouthful...they're both disappointing and I'm finding Genii isn't close to what it used to be under the Larson's...I was just about to subscribe to MAGIC, but I guess that's a no-go now...trying to figure out if I can afford that last 25 issues special...
[quote]On Jul 23, 2016, Rodney Palmer wrote:
True, The Linking Ring nor the MUM are what they used to be.

But for me, MUM is a way better published magazine without all of the fluff that TLR has in it. More color, better columns, better photographs, and frankly a better editor and publisher.

Rodney [/quote]

I am now a member now of both groups. MUM is a way better published magazine of the two. So if you are doing to more for reading about magic SAM is a little better....
Tesla II - ".I was just about to subscribe to MAGIC, but I guess that's a no-go now...trying to figure out if I can afford that last 25 issues special..."

Not an "issue" any more since the MAGIC Legacy project was canceled. Not enough new subscribers. I was a charter subscriber to MAGIC bc I had subscribed to Inside Magic Newsletter before.

I think IBM and SAM are both good organizations. If you can afford it, it might be worth belonging to both.

KP