(Close Window)
Topic: All seeing eye
Seems like there is a lot of billet style predictions that have come out lately. Write something on a piece of paper I will tell you what you wrote. Anyone get this? Whats your thoughts?

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7311
The All Seeing Eye (ASE) by Dan Harlan is a method to gather any piece of information written secretly by a spectator on a piece of paper. Before I watched All Seeing Eye, I couldn't help but be skeptical--From the trailer, it just seemed like all the other methods that enable the performer to ascertain secret information from a folded paper. After I watched Dan Harlan's instruction, I was pleasantly surprised with his original additions!

Difficulty: The difficulty level is geared towards beginners both in Harlan's teaching and in technicality. ASE is very easy to perform. It's a standard and well known method in mentalism that is used to achieve the effect, but where the real value is is in Harlan's structure, presentation, and additions. I'll get into those later in the bottom of this review.

A few positives:
-Like any ct, p**k, or s****h routine in mentalism, the props are regular, everyday objects. If the required props (any pieces of paper + a writing utensil) are available, ASE can be performed impromptu. In his instructional video, Dan is honest and claims that it takes a few seconds of preparation to perform, explaining that it is almost impromptu. However, this preparation can be quickly done in front of the audience without arousing any bit of suspicion.
-Everything can be examined.
-They can keep the papers as a souvenir, which is a bonus if you choose to perform with your business cards.
-ASE is perfect for table hopping + avenues that require multiple performances because it instantly resets.
-Harlan's teaching is fantastic--it's very clear. He is thorough without rambling. While watching, it is obvious that ASE has been tried and tested. The video quality is very clear.
-This is a great intro effect for beginners with billet work, but I can guarantee more experienced performers will come away with a new idea or with something learned. Even if you're a working pro, I'd recommend ASE--It has a few presentational touches that I think are essential for those who do any work with billets. I think this would be a wonderful addition to many walk around magician's repertoires.

A few negatives:
-The patter may seem a bit childish to some, or a little cheesy. Harlan's included patter will have to be modified for many performers. The presentation/patter fits with my personality/character, so I didn't have to do much modification.
-Some may say that the fact that two pieces of paper (the "all seeing eye" and their information) is in play (as opposed to a single piece of paper) has potential to complicate the plot and take away from some of the directness that other methods have. This is not an issue for me, since the plot of the effect remains simple (and able to be described in one sentence as The Professor notes.)
-It requires a few seconds of preparation. As I stated above, this can be quickly done in front of the audience before the performance.
-The sound gets a little weird/distorted mid-video, but it won't have any effect on learning the effect. It wasn't a distraction.

I promised earlier in this review that I would talk about Harlan's additions to this classic effect in mentalism. This is ASE's greatest strength. In billet effects, there is often no justification for the "revelation-of-secret-info-on-a-sheet-of-paper" effects; they are often performed just like that (hence the name I just coined). I've seen countless performers ask their audience to write down a piece of information. They will then take the sheet of paper, execute some action with it, and usually end with placing it in the spectators hand. They will then immediately revealing the name, date, or whatever was written down. While this may fool or even entertain the audience, this is the worst way to perform such an effect. What is the purpose in having someone write down information, only to tear the paper up and reveal the information? Why not just have the audience think of something, THEN reveal it?
What Dan's version accomplishes is that his presentation serves as a justification for every action completed by the performer. Every hand movement, transfer of objects, every word has some psychological purpose in his routine. This solves the main presentational problem of the ct, p**k, s****h, etc. The writing of the information is justified through presentation. Harlan shows a great psychological understanding of the motivation behind movements, and this is very helpful in his teaching. This new presentation and way of approaching the "write and reveal" effects is worth this download. Although I have my own presentation that justifies the actions of such an effect, I enjoyed hearing Dan Harlan's take on it, and came away with new ideas. Any magician/mentalist, beginner to pro will benefit from this download.

Disclaimer: I do not write reviews without "field testing" the product. ASE does very well in performance, and I did not encounter any obstacles.

I would be happy to answer any questions you might have about the download,

-Zack Johnston
I'd like to know if drawing the Eye is a must or can we draw a different shape like a phone or brain or other story drawing to justify transmitting the info. Thx
You should be able to do a few of those things in all probability Brent. It lends itself to a few variations like that.
Thanks Zack for the review!!!!
Yes, in fact I'm not drawing an eye because it just doesn't fit my style. You could even draw a cell phone (MagicBrent), which would be much greater motivation for one part which must be done. I like the basic structure of this routine and the parts I have changed are easily changeable along the way to making it fit my style.

The sound issue Zack mentioned is actually not distortion in any manner. It is that his lav mic went dead and the backup studio mic feed was used for that time. As Zack pointed out it does not hamper the learning in any way.

This is a product geared toward magicians.

For me the only real negative is that, for good reason, part of the routine is missing from the trailer. This is the place where I feel the routine development came up short. Some solutions to that have already been suggested here and I'm sure more will come up as people dig into this and make it their own. Well worth the price for anyone wanting to get into or explore a real time billet read effect.
I love eyes - put them into routines all the time - so coolio - downloaded- it's nifty- ok, I'm connecting it to aok
It's really well thought out. Every move has a good motivation. It's simple and direct. I'm glad I purchased it. Oh yeah, and very impromptu as we'll
Dan
My business name is Don't Blink Magic and my business cards have a beautiful blue eyeball on them. I also wear a realistic eye ring and lapel pin so this was a no-brainer for me to hit the buy button. Am I happy with the purchase? YES
I believe this is the same effect taught in his penguin lecture. If so, I loved it!

Ryan
Wondering why, though, if the Penguin e-mail I got today says "spectators can't reverse engineer it", yet it can be performed over and over in table hopping, why the trailer does not show full performance? I'm not looking for free stuff or exposure, but truth in marketing is a biggie with me...
I love it! This is going to go into one of 3-4 favorite card peeks that I can use interchangeably. When doing this sort of work, it is really nice to have several methods in case you want to repeat it immediately.
KJ
[quote]On Jul 21, 2016, daver wrote:
Wondering why, though, if the Penguin e-mail I got today says "spectators can't reverse engineer it", yet it can be performed over and over in table hopping, why the trailer does not show full performance? I'm not looking for free stuff or exposure, but truth in marketing is a biggie with me... [/quote]

Dave,

This is about process. A layperson is not going to be able to reverse engineer it. However, a magician hitting rewind on a video seven billion times may figure it out.

I can't speak for you, but I found the method, handling, and patter to be something that I will DEFINITELY use. I have been exposed to many dozen business card peak methods, and this one will go into my top 3-4.

I actually really like the presentation part of this. This method really does require a certain presentation patter to make it work. Others, such as Danny Archer's aren't so reliant on specific patter.

KJ
I appreciate the response. I have hung out with Dan on a few occasions and love his thinking on work. I too have bucketloads of ways of getting information written down, and I like this idea - I just have an issue sometimes with the misleading ad copy to get attention.
All Seeing Eye is outstanding!

A few things that I really like about it:

1. Can be done impromptu, with very little set up.

2. When the spectator writes their thought/name/drawing/question, they can write ANYWHERE on the paper or business card.

3. After they write their information, the spectator folds their paper or card in half, then in half again, then in half a third time.

4. No wallets or envelopes required!

5. The spectator holds on to both pieces of paper, the one they wrote on, and the one you draw the All Seeing Eye on...and they get to keep them.

This routine is really well designed with multiple layers of deception. Love it!
I reviewed this on my blog today
[quote]On Jul 21, 2016, Olympic Adam wrote:
I reviewed this on my blog today [/quote]
Is the fingertip handshake required for each performance?
The upgrade is out next month, its been refined...its now a fist-bump...
[quote]On Jul 21, 2016, halestorm wrote:
Is the fingertip handshake required for each performance? [/quote]

No it's not required.

Graham
Suspicious of all the five star reviews on 20th July whats that all about?
[quote]On Jul 21, 2016, gtx magic wrote:
[quote]On Jul 21, 2016, halestorm wrote:
Is the fingertip handshake required for each performance? [/quote]

No it's not required.

Graham [/quote]

Haha, no it's not - being left handed I'm hoping I can use my right hand anyway to avoid the awkwardness
[quote]On Jul 21, 2016, Karl M wrote:
Suspicious of all the five star reviews on 20th July whats that all about? [/quote]

When I was going back to get the link for my review I was very surprised to see I was somewhat behind the trend. That was a log of reviews for one day!
Suspicious of all the five star reviews on 20th July whats that all about? [/quote]

Karl the ratings justify the effect. Suprised you ain't took the plunge mate. It a 5 Banjo's rating.
:heavymetal: :heavymetal: :heavymetal: :heavymetal: :heavymetal:

Graham
Why are you giving this the banjo?
Karl,

Here's a gift for ya!

www.tinyurl.com/KarlMGift

It was released on the 20th. In his instructional video, Harlan urged his viewers to leave a review. After it had been purchased by many (it ranked #6 on the Top Ten purchased products on the 20th of July), they left a review all on the same day. Couldn't it be that people enjoyed the effect so much that many left a 5 star review on the release date? :)
You guys beat me on the banjo allusion. :(
I'm a huge Penguin fan but with reviews they post them immediately if it's their own release and well received and seem to lag when an effect isn't as well reviewed. Maybe it's coincidence, but I doubt it.
I hope Karl never snaps his banjo string...
This looks quite interesting. (Although I have no idea what the banjo chatter means)
After see the full performance, I instantly saw the method, but I must say its quite nice and when you justify each movement, nothing becomes very odd,
the method by itself is not new, it remembers me to some card tricks, and also I see bits from bob cassidy for the peek,
everything is quite well put together,
for the spectator point of view its all quite clean,

just cards and pen are used, they keep both papers in their hand and setup takes seconds,

obviously you must touch the paper at some point, that's all the dirty work, but is somehow justified,
angles, are of 180 or more,

overall, 8/10, did like it.
[quote]On Jul 22, 2016, IAIN wrote:
I hope Karl never snaps his banjo string... [/quote]
Put it to bed mate
MinSting said it all, I agree with every point and really like this one, nothing new but really well put together, I recommend it
[quote]On Jul 21, 2016, RSchlutz wrote:
I believe this is the same effect taught in his penguin lecture. If so, I loved it!

Ryan [/quote]
Could you please provide a link or reference to the title of this lecture ? As it does not show up on his Penguin page.
[quote]On Jul 23, 2016, John Nesbit wrote:

Ryan [/quote]
Could you please provide a link or reference to the title of this lecture ? As it does not show up on his Penguin page. [/quote]

He teaches ASE in his Penguin Live 2 lecture: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3173

Zack
If Doc Spec says it is good--I'm in! :) Ordered.
Thanks Seth!!!

Yes, I like it - if you watch the full video you'll instantly get the method if you are in the "field" - but it doesn't matter if you are presenting to non-mentalists/magicians etc. - its fun, cool presentation you can spookify or make more fun as needed. I already worked into a 3-routines EYE presentation....

1) All Seeing Eye

2) Modified Business Card Prophecy - use tarot or regular cards - but have the eye used to "see" now demonstrate the power of prophecy - with some readings involved... add some extra sigils etc and the revelation

3) AOK - if you got this, I uploaded a video on the Penguin site (and showing my fav. modified move) where I draw an EYE as part of the presentation (it made sense from my style of presentation) - now the eye can not just help you "see" the physical, "see" the future" but it can "see" into the minds of people as well.

By the time you give back that Eye, it will have been associated with so much mystic power, you can sign it and tell them it may act as a guard against Evil Eyes and such. Also, for anyone thinking they got the method from step 1 - the other steps get more and more eerie and harder to track that by the end... kaboom.

:)

Thanks Dan - its a fun nice routine! This just pushed me to buy 1000 blank business cards.
Hi Doctor - I'm liking your AOK contribution. Thanks!
Thanks!

Here is a pic for the triple whammy at the end....

[img]http://phantasms.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/IMG_6169.jpg[/img]

First the eye itself...
Phase 2, draw the 2 tarot cards or whatever
Phase 3, I just add some markings to the upper and lower lashes to create the Sigil of the Pythian Oracle

P.S. aside: there are 42 eyes in a standard deck of playing cards.... going to work that in eventually.

Fun fun fun!
Got this and during the full performance worked out exactly what was happening.

I agree with what Dan says, " a soon as you try this you will use it"(something like that anyway).

Really simple & really good. Everything is justified & Dan is a great teacher.

Great download.

Mike Donoghue
[quote]On Jul 23, 2016, Zack_Johnston wrote:
[quote]On Jul 23, 2016, John Nesbit wrote:

Ryan [/quote]
Could you please provide a link or reference to the title of this lecture ? As it does not show up on his Penguin page. [/quote]

He teaches ASE in his Penguin Live 2 lecture: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3173

Zack [/quote]

In case anyone is trying to locate it, the performance is at 35:40 and the explanation is at around 59:40.
Purchased this a few days ago and just now got the chance to watch the video. Beautiful! I have a lot of Dan's effects and love most of them. Now this one and it is a total winner. Dan teaches this well as he always does. No excess chatter and he covers every possible detail. All Seeing Eye is so simple and yet so darned baffling! It will definitely leave people surprised and entertained.

Thanks Dan!

Jim
For those who have purchased both the All Seeing Eye and Art of Knowing, check out Dr. Spektor's combination of the two on the penguin sub-forum. Very cool indeed.
Where would "the penguin sub-forum" be located ?
[quote]On Jul 27, 2016, John Nesbit wrote:
Where would "the penguin sub-forum" be located ? [/quote]

Go to "My Penguin Magic" to access your downloadable video tutorials. Find the All Seeing Eye. There should be a button directly to the left of the effect title, labeled "discuss."
After so many reviews, there is little to add....still, what I think of most highly in the video is the very good job of making the handling natural.
This kind of method often comes with a number of positions and moves that to the lay audience just looks funny....a magicians way of handling things....Dan does an excellent job here of making things look natural.
Sorry if has been asked, but do I need to know a CT to perform this?
[quote]On Jul 27, 2016, music wrote:
Sorry if has been asked, but do I need to know a CT to perform this? [/quote]

No CT is required for this, all moves are very well justified as a lot of people have said once you see the full performance you know what's going on before he gets to the explanation segment.
How does the instruction for this effect compare from the All Seeing Eye download versus Dan Harlan's second Penguin lecture? I don't have either and I want this effect.
Thanks for the info The_Spider.
[quote]On Jul 27, 2016, Amazin Doug wrote:
How does the instruction for this effect compare from the All Seeing Eye download versus Dan Harlan's second Penguin lecture? I don't have either and I want this effect. [/quote]

The instruction on the Penguin Lecture is more than sufficient. I would say get the lecture and you will get that and so much more.
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I was disappointed with this. (I gave it 2 out of 5 on Penguin). For the record, I am usually a fan of Dan's work.

Here are the issues I have:

1) The trailer is misleading. There are two moments that are not the greatest in terms of cleanliness and both are missing from the trailer. I think this is to give the impression that the routine is more hands-off than it is, with no weak spots. I feel mislead.

2) The first of the suspicious moments occurs when you reach for the billet and the spectator's hand. There is weak justification here and, as I mentioned on the penguin forum, it is inherently unnatural to do for a spectator something simple that they could obviously do themselves, especially when the motivation is weak. I have no issue with similar moves when done in a routine like copper/silver or a bill transposition - I do them all the time - this is not as natural. There is no REAL need to touch them and the billet here, except method.

3) The second of the unnatural moments occurs when you act like you made a mistake and go into a silly bit about "charging the eye." This is so goofy that it stands out from the rest of the routine just in terms of presentation. I would understand if a mistake was made that HAD to be corrected (such as writing on another card because you wrote on the wrong side or something), but the justification here is so weak and silly that I think it would allow some spectators to reverse engineer the whole routine. And I think magicians know this, as some are already talking on Penguin forum about ways to get around it.

Finally, I really don't get all the five star reviews for this. I will tell you though that when you go to the forum section you will see some questions about people trying to work around the issues I mention, but you don't see many people saying "I'm using this in the the real world all the time and it's getting great reactions." Make of that what you will. I will certainly exercise caution before purchasing more penguin downloads, regardless of how good the reviews are.
Thank you for your honest opinion & review I was about to order but I don't think SO ....
I don't normally respond to nitpicking, but (in this case) I must. "bsears" doesn't like that the spectator's billet needs to be touched for a moment to move it from one place to another (an action which the spectator does not perceive to be unnatural, by the way). Well, if touching the billet is out, then there goes every tear and peek ever devised. Yes, all of those methods where one not only touches, but handles, the written info... gosh, those must be weak, too, right "bsears?"

Sorry, man, I disagree. I've taken a time-honored technique and constructed the perfect choreography for it, such that the spectator doesn't question that moment... and even forgets about it entirely. As far as they are concerned, the procedure is hands-off. Certainly far less handling than any tear/peek. Are you actually that concerned about moving a piece of paper from one place to another?

Also, you say my "charging the eye" is silly. So what? Play it however you want. I play it a bit lighthearted... which keeps the spectators from thinking that the action has any real meaning... understand? I have literally performed All-Seeing Eye under fire, in multiple performance situations (close-up, stage, one-on-one), and NEVER had anyone suspect either moment. In fact, in every re-telling of events I've ever heard (and I've heard a lot... people talk about this one) they say, "I wrote [something] and held it in my hand, he drew this eye and gave it to me, and he... he... knew... what... I... wrote..."

What you think are weak points (because they're necessary for the procedure) are intentionally crafted to be forgettable. While All-Seeing Eye may not be perfect for everyone, it does deliver exactly what I say it does.
--Harlan
I never trust any reviews I read from the companies own website. Find a couple reliable/friendly chaps here to kick around thoughts about products before you purchase. You will be much better off!

RNK
First of all, the trailer doesn't show everything. I imagine that if any magician with experience watched the full performance they would figure it out as the core method is very standard. That being said even if you were duped into buying it, you would still love all the genius that went into this. It's really well thought out. Every single motion makes sense.
Although it's not technically difficult I would recommend staying away unless you have experience performing, as there are issues that can come up. You are very dirty for a bit and you need to stop people from doing the wrong thing at the wrong time. If you are an intermediate magician you shouldn't have any problem.
One other thing I need to add is that this won't be able to replace your center tear or peek in all your routines. This is a specific trick and the genius here really only applies to this trick. You may be able to come up with other things that it will work for as well, but you won't be able to plug it into all the tricks that you already do.
This is one of the best billet trick without a doubt. it is a little bit quirky but makes complete sense.

with that said, I'm not really into mentalism, so I altered the premise and turned it into a drawing transportation. I feel this makes much more sense not only removing the quirkiness and mentalism aspect. But it's much much stronger since the magic happens in their hands and truly gives the impression their drawing has never left their hand. the patter about the imaginary orb in their hand makes even more sense as being a transportation device. I highly recommend the download and converting the trick as I described. it kills many times over!!!!!
I really like the effect.Never did like a CT.
And all of the moves look completely normal too.
Thanks Dan for offering this to the community.
Todd
Great stuff.
Problem with CT's is, you destroy the business card (and wouldn't you rather have them keep it?).
This is beautiful - and - if you wish to incorporate the reveal into a full 'reading', you're set. everything makes perfect sense.
Love it.