(Close Window)
Topic: Kolossal Killer by Kenton Knepper presented by Nick Locapo
Message: Posted by: Magic KL (Jul 28, 2016 01:42PM)
Http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7335

It just sounds too clean. Anyone got it?
Message: Posted by: MadisonH (Jul 28, 2016 01:59PM)
[quote]On Jul 28, 2016, Magic KL wrote:
Http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7335

It just sounds too clean. Anyone got it? [/quote]


Of course. Hundreds upon hundreds of people have it. It's that's clean.
Message: Posted by: DrewBstoss (Jul 28, 2016 02:02PM)
I'd love to know if this download shares any nice/new touches on this classic. If someone takes the plunge, especially someone that already knows the original, please don't hesitate to share your thoughts with us!

Best,

Drew
Message: Posted by: mike donoghue (Jul 28, 2016 02:26PM)
I bought the original wallet many years agop when it 1st came out but for the price I took the plunge to see what these two guys have added to it(incidently I never used the original version in close up events. I used to do it as an invisisble card type routine in cabaret).

Over the years I have bought so many versions of this. However, for the price it's worth a view.

After downloading & watching the video I will post my findings(views) on here.

Mike Donoghue
Message: Posted by: itsmagic (Jul 28, 2016 02:53PM)
What's a good wallet to buy for this effect? Something nice and thin?

Curious if this download goes into details on the best kinds of wallet for this effect?

I have the original, but never got around to performing this because I don't like to carry a wallet with me and the ones I have are too thin without enough compartments.
Message: Posted by: ULockJustice (Jul 28, 2016 02:58PM)
It's a hell of an effect. Been around a long time, and having seen Nick perform it I know that this one is going to be worth the money. He destroys with it all the time. Glad a classic like this is getting some dust knocked off it for the kids to see.
Message: Posted by: Bill Hegbli (Jul 28, 2016 03:08PM)
I am only guessing, but I would say that, being the original Kolossal Killer was in manuscript form, this is a video version for those that don't want to read the pamphlet version. And at half the price of the manuscript. Again only guessing, but the original Manuscript had a full discussion on the effect, most magician's who use this effect, only use the simplest from of presenting it. Some like the "miss by one" and others like to be spot on.
Message: Posted by: tomd (Jul 28, 2016 03:11PM)
Its a killer for sure 😉
Message: Posted by: DrewBstoss (Jul 28, 2016 03:22PM)
Mark Elsdon tipped a great bit of thinking in his (first) Penguin Live lecture that allows you to streamline the "pack out" for this plot. Almost any wallet would work using Mark's strategy.

Best,

Drew
Message: Posted by: itsmagic (Jul 28, 2016 03:27PM)
If Mark Elsdon's version uses any form of equivoque, I'm not interested.
Message: Posted by: Karl M (Jul 28, 2016 03:45PM)
[quote]On Jul 28, 2016, itsmagic wrote:
If Mark Elsdon's version uses any form of equivoque, I'm not interested. [/quote]
you'll be missing out than mate bit arogant there
Message: Posted by: rosariorose9 (Jul 28, 2016 04:16PM)
[quote]On Jul 28, 2016, mike donoghue wrote:
I bought the original wallet many years agop when it 1st came out but for the price I took the plunge to see what these two guys have added to it(incidently I never used the original version in close up events. I used to do it as an invisisble card type routine in cabaret).

Over the years I have bought so many versions of this. However, for the price it's worth a view.

After downloading & watching the video I will post my findings(views) on here.

Mike Donoghue [/quote]

Waiting with baited breath...
:readingbook:
Message: Posted by: Michael Zarek (Jul 28, 2016 04:25PM)
When I used to do the original at least 1/4 of people I performed for were openly suspicious about the wallet so I gave up on it.
Mark Elsdons version (from his first lecture) is perfect though.
Message: Posted by: pjarnold (Jul 28, 2016 04:33PM)
I know this is about a different product, but Mark Elsdon's handling really is close to perfection. In fact his scripting choices in that lecture clean up KK, any of the voques, and PATEO. But to the subject at hand, if you aren't performing some form of KK then you are missing out.
Message: Posted by: otreboR (Jul 28, 2016 04:35PM)
I also do the "off by one" version and use the picture cards you get with "Twisted Sisters".
You can put one envelope on the table and start the effect.
Message: Posted by: tomd (Jul 28, 2016 04:38PM)
[quote]On Jul 28, 2016, mike donoghue wrote:
I bought the original wallet many years agop when it 1st came out but for the price I took the plunge to see what these two guys have added to it(incidently I never used the original version in close up events. I used to do it as an invisisble card type routine in cabaret).

Over the years I have bought so many versions of this. However, for the price it's worth a view.

After downloading & watching the video I will post my findings(views) on here.

Mike Donoghue [/quote]

Looking forward to your findings.
Message: Posted by: mike donoghue (Jul 28, 2016 05:31PM)
I to have used every version & variation going ie. Kenton's, Mark Elsdons, Mark Oberons, Steven Tuckers(which is excelent , Chris Congeave's(another great one) & even the Predator wallet.

Will put my findings on maybe tromorrow after watching it.

Mike Donoghue
Message: Posted by: MinSting (Jul 28, 2016 05:48PM)
Mark Oberons version was by far my favorite, not sold any longer sadly,
Message: Posted by: Amirá (Jul 28, 2016 05:53PM)
Great to see this, and for sure Nick has great touches in his experience, but I encourage to any interested in (my opinion) the best thought of card in wallet to support the original creator as well.

Kenton goes deeply in the psychology of this routine in the original manuscript https://www.wonderwizards.com/l/complete-packages/kolossal-killer-complete-training



Best
Message: Posted by: BCE (Jul 28, 2016 09:22PM)
Does this new presentation cover any variations *WITHOUT* a wallet? If not, I will probably pass on this one and defer to some of the prior comments.
Message: Posted by: John C (Jul 29, 2016 07:43AM)
Also see "7" from Bryan Reynolds. No quicker "get" to a single card in the universe. Using no cards.
Message: Posted by: jamesmwood (Jul 29, 2016 09:24AM)
Review of Penguin Download of Kolossal Killer by Kenton Knepper

This trick is solid. The spectator names any card. Totally free choice. You then say "What a coincidence, that's my lucky card!" To prove it, you show them your wallet and pull out a card. About 33% of the time this card is exactly the one named by the spectator and you have a miracle. The rest of the time the card in the wallet doesn't exactly match the one named, but you still turn the trick into a near-miracle through a clever ending.

Pros:
The Penguin video download includes several live performances with real spectators.
Nick Locano's teaching is excellent. His explanations are thorough and clear.
This trick makes a great opener for walk-around. It lasts less than two minutes, can be performed surrounded, and has a difficulty level of about 5 (on a 1 to 10 scale).

Cons:
The inside of the wallet can't be shown to spectators.
The trick takes a fair amount of wallet space and isn't practical if your wallet is already crowded. If your wallet is stuffed, you may need to use a second one for this trick.
Marcus Eddie's ODD delivers a similar impact and may be more practical. Whereas ODD requires a special deck, Kolossal Killer requires a lot of wallet space. The choice between the two tricks probably depends on which one the magician finds more practical.
Message: Posted by: itsmagic (Jul 29, 2016 09:30AM)
Ordered last night and watched the download. Nick does a great job teaching his handling and going over some nuances that I don't recall in the manuscript. There is a segment with him and Jeff Kaylor sharing their history and success with KK. Seeing how thin and small Jeff's wallet is loaded with KK was awesome. I am very excited to work on this now.

The video starts off with a few live performances, then Nick goes into the workings of KK in detail which is much appreciated. The video is about 40 minutes long! He shows how to set this up using his two wallets, one of them a fire wallet - which I love! He shows you how thin the wallet is with KK loaded and goes into a simple studio demonstration. Very good to see this in action versus just reading it. The only thing I would've loved to see is Jeff Kaylor performing or demonstrating this, but Nick did a great job teaching this. Highly recommended.
Message: Posted by: hornet (Jul 29, 2016 10:18AM)
Is there anything new in terms of handling me on this download or is it just a video version of the original handling?
Message: Posted by: blurrylines (Jul 29, 2016 10:49AM)
[quote]On Jul 29, 2016, John C wrote:
Also see "7" from Bryan Reynolds. No quicker "get" to a single card in the universe. Using no cards. [/quote]

Hi John. Where can I find this?
Message: Posted by: BlackZ (Jul 29, 2016 10:50AM)
It is a nice video that has been a pleasure to see but there is nothing new under the sun...
Message: Posted by: TuneHV (Jul 29, 2016 11:25AM)
Well since we're all throwing out our favorite takes on the plot, I'll chime in and say that Rus Andrews' Spoken is the best I have come across. I took his brilliant principle and modified it a bit to what personally I feel is the ultimate solution. If you are familiar with Spoken, PM me and I'll share my set up.
Message: Posted by: tomd (Jul 29, 2016 11:27AM)
[quote]On Jul 29, 2016, blurrylines wrote:
[quote]On Jul 29, 2016, John C wrote:
Also see "7" from Bryan Reynolds. No quicker "get" to a single card in the universe. Using no cards. [/quote]

Hi John. Where can I find this? [/quote]

the swafwan papers
Message: Posted by: John C (Jul 29, 2016 12:08PM)
[quote]On Jul 29, 2016, blurrylines wrote:
[quote]On Jul 29, 2016, John C wrote:
Also see "7" from Bryan Reynolds. No quicker "get" to a single card in the universe. Using no cards. [/quote]

Hi John. Where can I find this? [/quote]


what he said: safwan
Message: Posted by: Magic KL (Jul 29, 2016 12:22PM)
Thanks for the reviews!
Message: Posted by: pegasus (Jul 29, 2016 12:53PM)
The easiest, and cleanest method, but takes pocket space is to have two wallets and use DF cards.
Message: Posted by: pegasus (Jul 29, 2016 01:22PM)
In fact I've just been reminded that Doomo (Tony) of rfaproductions.com is THE true master of card indexes, hands down.
Message: Posted by: Karl M (Jul 30, 2016 02:45AM)
[quote]On Jul 29, 2016, hornet wrote:
Is there anything new in terms of handling me on this download or is it just a video version of the original handling? [/quote]
Bought it ands disappointed with it theres nothing new at all with it just the basic handling of it really :(
Message: Posted by: Tony Curtis (Jul 30, 2016 06:48AM)
[quote]On Jul 29, 2016, pegasus wrote:
In fact I've just been reminded that Doomo (Tony) of rfaproductions.com is THE true master of card indexes, hands down. [/quote]

[IMG]http://www.tonycurtismagic.com/images/magic/killerwalletfull.jpg[/IMG]

Killer Wallet is also an option and has 24 index pockets 16 of which are completely concealed.
.
Tony
Message: Posted by: tomd (Jul 30, 2016 06:51AM)
[quote]On Jul 30, 2016, Tony Curtis wrote:
[quote]On Jul 29, 2016, pegasus wrote:
In fact I've just been reminded that Doomo (Tony) of rfaproductions.com is THE true master of card indexes, hands down. [/quote]

[IMG]http://www.tonycurtismagic.com/images/magic/killerwalletfull.jpg[/IMG]

Killer Wallet is also an option and has 24 index pockets 16 of which are completely concealed.
.
Tony [/quote]
Do the killer envelopes you sell bulk up the wallet much more than just having the cards in there?
Message: Posted by: Rainboguy (Jul 30, 2016 08:22AM)
Where can one buy the various wallets?
Message: Posted by: John C (Jul 30, 2016 08:33AM)
[quote]On Jul 30, 2016, Rainboguy wrote:
Where can one buy the various wallets? [/quote]

I have one if anyone is interested. Hardly ever used.
Message: Posted by: dj (Jul 30, 2016 12:23PM)
Jan Forster has an interesting variation.
The first routine in the video (the video is in german language):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZKOuas6eXY
Perhaps he will show this routine in his Penguine Live Lecture.

Jan, can you say something about it?



Darko
Message: Posted by: BrianMel (Jul 30, 2016 03:54PM)
Coming from someone who's never read the manuscript, I was very disappointed with the trailer. It was extremely misleading. When watching the explanation it was like I was watching an entirely different effect. They only show you best case scenario in the trailer and not any of the footage where a majority of the time you will be missing and using the out. I think this footage could've easily been incorporated into the trailer without giving away the method or fear of reverse engineering.

I also did the math. You have a 1 in 3 shot of guessing the card successfully. Meaning, 2 out of 3 times you will be using an out.

Many people here are trying to defend this effect by saying the outs are better then a direct hit. That is simply not the case. Using the out is in no way as powerful as someone naming a card and you pulling that exact card out of your wallet. It doesn't get any more direct and powerful than that. The problem with this effect is a majority of the time you will not be able to do this.

You also don't and clean. In a lot of cases you will not be able to hand the card out for examination and 100% of the time you will not be able to hand the wallet out. So audience management is a key skill with this effect and you will have to deal with hecklers if they ask to see the card or the wallet. Also, if performing this surrounded you will need to be very careful on angles not to expose certain things.

On the positive side, this is a very clever method. If you don't mind effects where you don't end clean and you are good at audience management. Then this is the effect for you. This will definitely floor your audience. I personally have came up with several variations that limit the wallet load and also make it so it is 100% hit and ends completely clean. Not sure if they are similar to other methods out there. I am reading that there are others that have come up with their own variations. But this definitely opens up the mind for new possibilities and thinking process.
Message: Posted by: BlackZ (Jul 30, 2016 05:32PM)
The video explain the basic effect but this effect is one of the best that you could find around... one of the strongest and the out here give you really a better hit... if you us it properly...

Managing the audience is not a huge problem and you do not have to be a master to not give out your wallet... except if you give your wallet to every stranger who is asking for it...

At the end, I am happy to see that you have found some better way to do it...
Message: Posted by: Xcath1 (Jul 30, 2016 06:07PM)
I purchased the wallet at Blackpool several years ago and that was my introduction to the trick. I did it quite often and had a great time but eventually stopped carrying the special wallet which was a little too big for my taste. This video in fairness does not add much to the manuscript however it was a reminder to me that this trick to be done almost as easily and perhaps more easily with A regular wallet. I will admit it does take some theatrical skill to get the most out of the outs and I think the video can be helpful in this respect to new users, seeing what the performance looks like. To each his own of course but I find the outs MUCH more entertaining than the direct hit and the reveal I believe takes the heat off of the wallet.
Message: Posted by: Michael Zarek (Jul 30, 2016 06:10PM)
[quote]On Jul 30, 2016, BrianMel wrote:
have a 1 in 3 shot of guessing the card successfully. Meaning, 2 out of 3 times you will be using an out.
You also don't and clean. In a lot of cases you will not be able to hand the card out for examination and 100% of the time you will not be able to hand the wallet out. So audience management is a key skill with this effect and you will have to deal with hecklers if they ask to see the card or the wallet. Also, if performing this surrounded you will need to be very careful on angles not to expose certain things.

. [/quote]

This isn't a case of "spectator management" if they ask to see the wallet, you're ******. And to be fair, most people who don't ask, will at least be thinking about it so if you want to perform it than better have an another same looking wallet to switch in.
Message: Posted by: Karl M (Jul 30, 2016 06:15PM)
Totally worrying for nothing if they ask to see your wallet you should stop doing magic immediately because your performing skills isn't up to it
Message: Posted by: Ray Haining (Jul 30, 2016 06:56PM)
A magician I know once did this for me. It happened to be one of those cases where the actual card was produced. Afterward, he showed me the inside of the wallet, and there were no other cards there. He said he was using an Heirloom wallet, I believe. The trick totally floored me.
Message: Posted by: TuneHV (Jul 30, 2016 06:59PM)
I also use a version with a shogun/heirloom wallet and casually show the wallet as empty as afterwards... never been asked to see the wallet.
Message: Posted by: Michael Zarek (Jul 30, 2016 07:31PM)
[quote]On Jul 30, 2016, Karl M wrote:
Totally worrying for nothing if they ask to see your wallet you should stop doing magic immediately because your performing skills isn't up to it [/quote]


It's because of posts like this, most believe that maybe 10% of people on the Café actually perform in the real world.
Message: Posted by: BrianMel (Jul 30, 2016 08:55PM)
It has nothing to do with the skills of the performer. There will ALWAYS be hecklers. And this is the type of effect people will ask 'dude, let me see your wallet, you got another card in there.' Now, I haven't personally performed this effect, but I have performed similar effects and the crowds I perform for, there are always hecklers. And maybe you might not want to even call some of them hecklers, but rather curious. They ask to see the card or the deck. They are not being an ass hole per say, but you blew their minds so bad that they need to examine things too see if what they saw was real. This is why I say you will need to manage your audience and make sure you have the right words for when this happens.
Message: Posted by: Xcath1 (Jul 30, 2016 10:07PM)
I agree there will always be people like that. If you've got one in an otherwise friendly crowd you can usually talk your way out of it. "I'm not sure I trust you with my wallet" or something like that. If you've got a lot of people like that I would say your doing magic for the wrong people or doing the wrong magic. Some combination of your performance and the people you perform for should move you past proving things for most people. It slows down the performance and turns the magic into a puzzle.
Message: Posted by: Doomo (Jul 30, 2016 10:17PM)
My take is a bit simpler. I just place the wallet on the speccys upturned pal with the request that they hold it. I have a second speccy just name a card. Then I pick up the wallet and flip it open casually. I ask them... " you were holding the wallet the whole time?" They say yes. I have them open the snap sealed id compartment... And then staring them in the face is the named card. Resets in about 3 seconds. No forces or equivoque.

Call me old fashioned.

CTony
Message: Posted by: Karl M (Jul 31, 2016 02:23AM)
[quote]On Jul 30, 2016, Michael Zarek wrote:
[quote]On Jul 30, 2016, Karl M wrote:
Totally worrying for nothing if they ask to see your wallet you should stop doing magic immediately because your performing skills isn't up to it [/quote]


It's because of posts like this, most believe that maybe 10% of people on the Café actually perform in the real world. [/quote]
Totally agree mate who ever thinks they need another ungimmiked walet to hand out if their asked isn't a real-world preformer
Message: Posted by: BrianMel (Jul 31, 2016 10:06AM)
All I'm saying is I've performed for people who have just grabbed things out of my hands. Whether that be they were drunk or they just didn't believe what they saw. You have to be prepared for that. To act like you are above us like you never get heckled makes me laugh. I perform all the time and there are always hecklers here and there. Some worse than others. And some that just want to examine. Not really heckling. If I saw someone perform a mentalism piece for me. I would want to examine it also. I wouldn't believe they had physic powers also.
Message: Posted by: Ramius (Jul 31, 2016 10:08AM)
[quote]On Jul 31, 2016, Karl M wrote:
Totally agree mate who ever thinks they need another ungimmiked walet to hand out if their asked isn't a real-world preformer [/quote]

How long have you been performing?
Message: Posted by: Thomas Walter (Jul 31, 2016 10:31AM)
[quote]On Jul 29, 2016, pegasus wrote:
The easiest, and cleanest method, but takes pocket space is to have two wallets and use DF cards. [/quote]
DF cards in Kolossal Killer??? Where do you write the "Killer Message"?

But if you are worried about bulk, personally I don't bother, you could use Protea cards, or Card Shark's Double Deckers.
But again: Personally, I don't bother
Message: Posted by: BrianMel (Jul 31, 2016 10:47AM)
I don't think anyone needs to carry around a second wallet. It's a failsafe. But if you manage your audience properly and you know what to say in case that comes up, then you should be okay.
Message: Posted by: mike donoghue (Jul 31, 2016 10:58AM)
Tony's the man.

Mike Donoghue
Message: Posted by: Michael Zarek (Jul 31, 2016 11:04AM)
You don't need a second wallet (that was just an idea) but if someone asks to see the wallet (which let's face it, most people will at least think about) than there's literarly nothing you can do.
Yea you might try saying something clever and laughing it off, but if you don't actually let them see the wallet when they ask, it's basically like telling them what the method is.

"Audience management" doesn't mean anything and saying that one should use "audience management" isn't helping.
Message: Posted by: BrianMel (Jul 31, 2016 11:26AM)
Audience management meaning depending on your crowd and situation, if you are using the bill fold, you have to be careful of people behind you, and surrounding you. Also, if you are not using an out, you have to be careful of everyone surrounding you not to flash the secret on the backside. If one person spots that, you have a whole new set of questions to answer.
Message: Posted by: hornet (Jul 31, 2016 12:04PM)
Is this a stripped down handling of the original?

The ad refers to using your own wallet, there's no way I could use my regular wallet using the original handling!
Message: Posted by: Thomas Walter (Jul 31, 2016 12:20PM)
[quote]On Jul 31, 2016, hornet wrote:
Is this a stripped down handling of the original?

The ad refers to using your own wallet, there's no way I could use my regular wallet using the original handling! [/quote]

This Penguin release follows Kenton's first original manuscript.
Message: Posted by: Lseeyou (Jul 31, 2016 12:23PM)
Hornet this uses all the cards like original... many wallets have the ability to hold all of them in a clever way.
Message: Posted by: tomd (Jul 31, 2016 12:39PM)
All depends on what the card you pull out of your wallet means to the effect. If it is a simple name a card routine, the attention will always be drawn to the place you pull the card from, and 2 thirds of the time you will have an ending which doesn't add up, even if at first it will shock them. Give it 20 seconds anyone curious will ask to see the wallet or will be thinking about it. So I completely see the drawbacks...

That being said, my presentation of KK doesn't really allow for the trick to turn out that way. Spectators don't question the wallet and I've prepared the script to make the weaker ending stronger than simply pulling out the right card. I put a lot of time and emphasis on the selection process of the card, really playing up each decision they make. Blocking it like deciding if it's a red or black card first and going from there seems to really put all attention on the conversation we are having. I do reference a prediction beforehand, but I don't tell them where it is. I've also choreographed the routine so that the spectator is holding the wallet the entire process, not knowing the prediction is in there. I have filled the script with subtle language that I can use if the ending doesn't go the 1 third way (if you get what I mean), which seems to add meaning to an illogical ending, and like others have said, it's the ending I hope for now. ultimately putting all my focus on the spectators decisions, seems to make them follow suit (which I guess is a form of audience management?). There are a lot of small movements and framing decisions that I do while the spectator is deciding, which pushes them to take the selection of the card seriously (nothing worse than a spec naming what feels to them as a random card out of the blue, which would shift their focus to where the card is coming from when I reveal).

I've put all of the work into the script to reduce the chances of asking about the wallet, but it's not possible to avoid this all the time... Unless you invest in the heirloom wallet. Since using this wallet, with an envelope in wallet reveal, I couldn't tell you how much more confidently I am performing this trick. The reactions have always been great, but I have a small section in the routine where I can show the wallet empty while they hold the enveloped prediction (unopened), and it just stops all of those scary questions being asked, period.

like I said at the top of the post, I can see where you guys are coming from, and I can see why many don't perform it.. You either have a small risk of being completely busted, or have to invest in a special wallet. Just thought I'd add my 2 cents after performing it for a while.. I had the same doubts as you guys before, and because of that I spent a lot of time writing a script. It's worked for me. Might just not work for others
Message: Posted by: Doomo (Jul 31, 2016 01:33PM)
I sent this to a few people privately. So to clear up a few misconceptions... It could have been a FREELY named card... NO forces... NO equivoque... The wallet is normally sitting on a spectators hand when I do it. This vid is shot with NO effort at misdirection or routining or better camera angles. It is just to show it can be done. And as a finish within 3 seconds EVERYTHING is COMPLETELY RESET.

https://youtu.be/oCHtZunvTew

Tony
Message: Posted by: BlackZ (Jul 31, 2016 04:38PM)
Super!
Message: Posted by: Rudy (Jul 31, 2016 06:17PM)
Tony

I Really liked that, NICE.

Rudy
Message: Posted by: Karl M (Aug 1, 2016 07:44AM)
[quote]On Jul 31, 2016, Doomo wrote:
I sent this to a few people privately. So to clear up a few misconceptions... It could have been a FREELY named card... NO forces... NO equivoque... The wallet is normally sitting on a spectators hand when I do it. This vid is shot with NO effort at misdirection or routining or better camera angles. It is just to show it can be done. And as a finish within 3 seconds EVERYTHING is COMPLETELY RESET.

https://youtu.be/oCHtZunvTew

Tony [/quote]
Me want!!!
Message: Posted by: BrianMel (Aug 1, 2016 08:23PM)
[quote]On Jul 30, 2016, Xcath1 wrote:
To each his own of course but I find the outs MUCH more entertaining than the direct hit and the reveal I believe takes the heat off of the wallet. [/quote]

I just can't understand why people like the outs more than a direct hit. Or maybe they are just telling themselves that to feel better. It is a flaw with the effect. I mean, I'm one off?? Really?? I must not be that good of a mentalist. And who's favorite card is the six of clubs?? Why would anyone keep that card in their wallet? It makes no sense to me. What would make more sense is a direct hit every time. You are better off doing a different method or having a backup like the invisible deck. All in all, I am glad I bought it, because the method struck a completely new idea for 100% new method with 100% hit every time. No wallet needed. Less bulk. I'm going to do some research and if no one else has released this, I might shop this around.
Message: Posted by: lil_magic (Aug 1, 2016 08:41PM)
Trust me the out takes them by surprise and seems to get a stronger reaction for some reason. All I can say you have to perform it to understand. I love it and use it all the time. If you don't want to use it fine but you are missing out.
Message: Posted by: BrianMel (Aug 1, 2016 09:02PM)
I suppose I can't knock it until I try it. :)
Message: Posted by: biggerry (Aug 1, 2016 09:28PM)
How does this compare to Mark Elsdon's ON THE MARK one card revealed in his wallet?
Message: Posted by: Thomas Walter (Aug 1, 2016 10:11PM)
[quote]On Aug 1, 2016, BrianMel wrote:
[quote]On Jul 30, 2016, Xcath1 wrote:
To each his own of course but I find the outs MUCH more entertaining than the direct hit and the reveal I believe takes the heat off of the wallet. [/quote]

...It is a flaw with the effect. [I][B]I mean, I'm one off?? Really?? I must not be that good of a mentalist. And who's favorite card is the six of clubs?? Why would anyone keep that card in their wallet? It makes no sense to me. What would make more sense is a direct hit every time.[/B][/I]You are better off doing a different method or having a backup like the invisible deck. All in all, I am glad I bought it, because the method struck a completely new idea for 100% new method with 100% hit every time. No wallet needed. Less bulk. I'm going to do some research and if no one else has released this, I might shop this around. [/quote]

I absolutely agree with Xcath1:
[I][B]...but I find the outs MUCH more entertaining than the direct hit and the reveal I believe takes the heat off of the wallet.[/B][/I]


John Archer has taken the above (written by BrianMel and bolded an italic marked by me) words in consideration when he created his very clever (and funny) version "Komedy Killer". He actually made these logical "mistakes" to an advantage and build them into the plot right from the beginning. His routine can be seen on his dvd "Educating Archer", in one of the "At the Table" dvd sessions and also on "Penguin Live".

I have used John's ideas from his "Komedy Killer" and I have had great success with it. And in this version, the "One Off" bit at the end is a killer!

Logical? Who cares! It is great [B]Entertainment[/B]!

And that is the reason I've been in this business for nearly 50 years! :)
Message: Posted by: Xcath1 (Aug 2, 2016 08:56AM)
Think of a color red or black. Black? I knew that would happen
Think of a suit clubs or spades. Spades? I totally knew that would happen
Add more if you like
Think of a card. Two of spades? I can't believe it I knew that too. I actually put that card in my wallet this morning.
Oh sure it's the three of spades, but I was only off by one, anyway I totally knew that would happen. No really, we've come this far and you still don't believe me. What did I write on the back of the card?


If you don't like the trick, don't do it.
Message: Posted by: CJ_Magic205 (Aug 2, 2016 10:23PM)
First off, I love KK, I have the original manuscript and use it quite a bit. To make it seem less "fishy" that it isn't a direct hit, I do something kind of similar to Xcath1. My presentation usually goes something like this:

after going through the think of a color/suit/card, I mention that I threw one card in my wallet this morning, as I just had a feeling it would come in handy. If it's a direct hit, I leave it at that. If not, I say something like "but after I left the house, I had a feeling that you would try to change it up on me" as I show the card. I give them a moment to realize its not the right card, then I slowly turn it over saying "no, really. I realized the card I put in would be off by one!" and I've never had an issue with it seeming like an "out" any more than a direct hit.

I strongly believe, like in Xcath1's presentation, the more carefree you are about it, the less heat you'll attract to the wallet.
Message: Posted by: afinemesh (Aug 2, 2016 11:31PM)
[quote]On Jul 29, 2016, John C wrote:
Also see "7" from Bryan Reynolds. No quicker "get" to a single card in the universe. Using no cards. [/quote]

Agreed!!!
Message: Posted by: Ray Haining (Aug 2, 2016 11:40PM)
And where might this "7" be found?
Message: Posted by: SamChak (Aug 3, 2016 12:40AM)
Kenton's [b]Kolossal Killer[/b] serves as the main inspiration for many great mentalism effects. I do a variation called "[b]Kolossal Jackpot[/b]" where I ask the spectator to write down her 4D Lucky Number on a piece of paper, and then I pull out the lottery ticket from my wallet.

[img]https://s31.postimg.cc/wjfpuu4uz/jackpot.jpg[/img]
Message: Posted by: Rus ANDREWS (Aug 3, 2016 04:52AM)
This was the starting point to many of my creations and helped towards my way of thinking about the thought of card in wallet plot.

well worth picking up if you don't already own it.....

best

R
Message: Posted by: jamesmwood (Aug 3, 2016 08:12AM)
[quote]On Aug 2, 2016, Ray Haining wrote:
And where might this "7" be found? [/quote]

Ray,

Bryn Reynolds' version of Kolossal Killer, which he calls "Seven," is included in his ebook "The Safwan Papers." It's available on this website:
http://www.outlaw-effects.com/store/the-arsenal/e-books/safwan.html

A good review of "The Safwan Papers" by Caleb Wiles is available on this website:
http://www.calebwilesmagic.com/ebook-review-the-safwan-papers-by-bryn-reynolds-2/

By the way, I haven't read "The Safwan Papers" or tried "Seven," so I can't recommend or disrecommend either one.

Jim
Message: Posted by: Ray Haining (Aug 3, 2016 09:50AM)
Jim, thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
Message: Posted by: GoncaloGil (Aug 3, 2016 02:24PM)
Hi guys,

Just to let you know that there is one wallet in the market that does not have any outs as the "Kolossal killer" effect does... The card that the spectator names is the card that you produce without forces or elimination process and the wallet can be examined.

http://www.geemagic.com/shop/lynx-wallet/

Also there is the "City add on" where you can predict any named city.

http://www.geemagic.com/shop/lynx-wallet-city-add-on/

Best regards,
Goncalo
Message: Posted by: Xcath1 (Aug 3, 2016 02:53PM)
That is a nice looking wallet however it does cost is 75 pounds and is rather large. For a stage with performance I would have no hesitation having special wallet like this. The beauty of the original is that its always with you in whatever wallet you are using and is now $9.00 on penguin.
Message: Posted by: BrianMel (Aug 6, 2016 01:25AM)
Sorry if I was a bit too harsh. I tend to speak my mind a little too much sometimes. However, to give you a little history on why I feel this way about this effect as well as many others is because I have a friend who guaranteed is the #1 heckler you will ever find. I would put money down on that. He would probably be in the world records in hecklers for magic. He absolutely hates magic. Especially, card magic. He thinks it's a waste of time and talent. That card magicians aren't good enough to be stage magicians like David Copperfield, etc.. So anytime I create an effect, I keep him in mind and think, what would James say if I performed this for him. He actually is pretty good at guessing a lot of effects even though he has no clue what's going on. When I showed him the trailer for this on Penguin, the first thing he said to me was that guy has a wallet full of *****... If he performed that for me I would grab his wallet and look inside. So you see exactly why I am here saying these things and why there should be a section on how to deal with hecklers with effects like these. Because there will be a lot of them. And to say there won't be is complete bull. This is the reason why I probably won't perform this version of the effect. Most of the people at work, friends and even cousins and uncles are all hecklers. So I am very used to performing for a lot of hecklers and which is why I very much hate ending dirty.
Message: Posted by: tomd (Aug 6, 2016 02:08AM)
Brian I've sent you a pm. But if you really are surrounded by hecklers, maybe avoid this. And remind me to avoid Chicago 😉
Message: Posted by: MaxfieldsMagic (Aug 6, 2016 12:08PM)
[quote]On Aug 6, 2016, BrianMel wrote:
Sorry if I was a bit too harsh. I tend to speak my mind a little too much sometimes. However, to give you a little history on why I feel this way about this effect as well as many others is because I have a friend who guaranteed is the #1 heckler you will ever find. I would put money down on that. He would probably be in the world records in hecklers for magic. He absolutely hates magic. Especially, card magic. He thinks it's a waste of time and talent. That card magicians aren't good enough to be stage magicians like David Copperfield, etc.. So anytime I create an effect, I keep him in mind and think, what would James say if I performed this for him. He actually is pretty good at guessing a lot of effects even though he has no clue what's going on. When I showed him the trailer for this on Penguin, the first thing he said to me was that guy has a wallet full of *****... If he performed that for me I would grab his wallet and look inside. So you see exactly why I am here saying these things and why there should be a section on how to deal with hecklers with effects like these. Because there will be a lot of them. And to say there won't be is complete bull. This is the reason why I probably won't perform this version of the effect. Most of the people at work, friends and even cousins and uncles are all hecklers. So I am very used to performing for a lot of hecklers and which is why I very much hate ending dirty. [/quote]

Duplicate wallet, fit for examination? Put the first one away while displaying the card, then do the switch if you're called out. There are ways around these things.
Message: Posted by: TuneHV (Aug 6, 2016 12:22PM)
Depends who you perform for. No stranger will just grab personal property like your wallet. If its a friend, use another method or do a different trick.
Message: Posted by: Michael Zarek (Aug 6, 2016 12:36PM)
[quote]On Aug 6, 2016, TuneHV wrote:
Depends who you perform for. No stranger will just grab personal property like your wallet. If its a friend, use another method or do a different trick. [/quote]

They won't grab it but they will want to look at it.
Message: Posted by: Karl M (Aug 6, 2016 01:19PM)
Nah ive done it loads of times and no body has ever said to look in to my wallet because I know how to handle them
Message: Posted by: Steven Conner (Aug 6, 2016 01:20PM)
In all my years of performing, I've never given my wallet out for anyone. Never had a reason to and there's a lot of items I use that go in there.

Best

Steve
Message: Posted by: Ray Haining (Aug 6, 2016 05:15PM)
A lot depends on who you perform for. Friends will feel they can take greater liberties than strangers do because they know you. Also whether you are performing in a formal setting or impromptu is important.

I think this trick works best impromptu for people who aren't friends of yours and who you won't be hanging around with afterwards either, although, as I stated above, this trick was shown to me using the Heirloom wallet, and because I was shown the inside of an apparently empty wallet, I didn't suspect the wallet at all and was stunned.
Message: Posted by: Xcath1 (Aug 6, 2016 06:14PM)
Unfortunately it is difficult to create a "magical experience" for friends, family and coworkers that we know well. The best we can do sometimes with enough "proving" is to "fool them" which is hardly magical. The only reason I jumped on this thread is because as an amateur I have personally had great results with this trick as demonstrated in the video. That is a different kind of review than "the gimmick is well made," "I fool myself in the mirror with this," etc.
YMMV
Message: Posted by: Doomo (Aug 6, 2016 08:56PM)
That is why I set my method up the way I did. I wanted a small normal looking billfold. NOTHING HUGE or prop looking. I just wanted a freely named card to be in the wallet with no fuss. And for it to reset quickly. I wanted the wallet to be in full view at the beginning and in a speccys hand if possible. And now it is.,

Tony
Message: Posted by: BrianMel (Aug 6, 2016 10:12PM)
That's great Tony. And I completely agree. That's why when I worked out my version of the effect I do the same thing. I hand out the wallet from the beginning if I am using a wallet or I have an envelope in my pocket with the predicted card. I have been doing my research and the only effect close to my version is Rus Andrews' Spoken. However, my version uses a different amount of cards, is an easier to memorize system and higher rate (about 75% hit rate) and the out still gives you a hit. Not a one off method. And it's not a form of equivocate where you are guiding your spectators throughout. They really get a free choice of any card. This is something I'm considering releasing. I'm not sure how it will play in the community since there are so many predicted card in wallet effects out already. But I believe this one is a very solid method. Packs light and every thought of card is a hit.
Message: Posted by: MagicPresident (Aug 8, 2016 01:09PM)
I downloaded this and would like to construct it.
Can anyone tell me where to purchase a wallet with
separate sections like the one used in the video?
I talked to Penguin and they do not have a $9.00
wallet.
Message: Posted by: macc (Aug 8, 2016 01:25PM)
With "the advocate" and a card to wallet or "UCCU" you would have a 100% hit rate.
Message: Posted by: magiclee (Aug 8, 2016 08:19PM)
Use "The Unbelievalope by Jeff Kaylor and The Magic Estate

magiclee
Message: Posted by: itsmagic (Aug 9, 2016 12:42AM)
[quote]On Aug 8, 2016, MagicPresident wrote:
I downloaded this and would like to construct it.
Can anyone tell me where to purchase a wallet with
separate sections like the one used in the video?
I talked to Penguin and they do not have a $9.00
wallet. [/quote]

Hi Mr. MagicPresident, I found a perfect wallet from Ross for $9. It's a VanHeusen. Very thin and slim and works perfectly. I love it. I tried to buy another for backup, but I've searched 5 Ross stores and have not found another one yet. Ross, Marshall's, Burlington Coat Factory have other suitable wallets, but this one is perfect.
Message: Posted by: jackaboy (Aug 24, 2016 05:05PM)
This is amazing!! I just started using this
Message: Posted by: mh1001 (Aug 31, 2016 10:47AM)
I usually don't like the "off by one" or find it either entertaining or fun to perform. I don't know John Archer's idea of turning the "off by one" into an advantage but I'm interested. Where can I get it ?

I never performed KK. It's not my style, mainly due to the off by one that I don't like. I much prefer Prospect, especially with multiple outs like the one in the Showdown wallet, which are nearly invisible and deep so that one can show the bill compartment (apparently) empty.
Message: Posted by: 252life (Nov 6, 2016 12:01PM)
BrianMel, have you considered a therapeutic punch, to help correct your friends grabby behavior?

Seriously though, family and friends can be a huge setback/hindrance to one's overall development.
Conversely, the unfiltered responses of family and friends, have absolutely saved me down the road.
It's a balancing act.
If you think about it, we bring this headache on ourselves most times. I'd suspect that some people in our personal circles, ultimately, don't share our wonderment with magic. Yet..those times arise, when you just have to have a functioning brain across from you and... BAM! Another innocent victimized lol. I've learned (99%..)the hard way to not cave into these moments anymore. Just not worth it. Part of growth I suppose.

Anyway, just a stream of consciousness here, on the Sunday before the U.S. swears in DJT as President.

252StiringItUp :)
Message: Posted by: BrianMel (Nov 6, 2016 02:41PM)
[quote]On Nov 6, 2016, 252life wrote:
BrianMel, have you considered a therapeutic punch, to help correct your friends grabby behavior?

Seriously though, family and friends can be a huge setback/hindrance to one's overall development.
Conversely, the unfiltered responses of family and friends, have absolutely saved me down the road.
It's a balancing act.
If you think about it, we bring this headache on ourselves most times. I'd suspect that some people in our personal circles, ultimately, don't share our wonderment with magic. Yet..those times arise, when you just have to have a functioning brain across from you and... BAM! Another innocent victimized lol. I've learned (99%..)the hard way to not cave into these moments anymore. Just not worth it. Part of growth I suppose.

Anyway, just a stream of consciousness here, on the Sunday before the U.S. swears in DJT as President.

252StiringItUp :) [/quote]

Haha. Yes we all will be watching this Tuesday. But I completely agree and while I don't get much time to perform for people other than at work and among friends since I work so much, I hav learned to be overly cautious as a result. However, I get so much better reactions and control when performing for laymen. So I understand what you mean.
Message: Posted by: BrianMel (Nov 6, 2016 02:45PM)
I was actually talking with Nick at a P3 convention and I apologized for coming off too strong here and on penguin. I have tried it and the off by one gets pretty good reactions. Although with my personality, I prefer a direct hit. And I still disagree with how the trailer was misrepresented. The main reason I purchased it was because it appeared as only one single card in the wallet and it was a direct hit. I wanted to know how it could be done with such accuracy. Only to find out 66% it can't be achieved and because of that I felt very misinformed and let down. Besides that, the effect itself is great!
Message: Posted by: 252life (Nov 6, 2016 03:21PM)
Brian, to me you came across fine.
As someone that's occasionally (cough...) been an ass on here, trust me lol.

Your input was/is helpful, and I hope to catch other feedback from you in the future.
Good stuff, thx!

252StillSuggestYouPunchYourFriendThough :)
Message: Posted by: DavidJComedy (Nov 7, 2016 02:35PM)
It works, it's a great version, it's mobile, and easy to do. What more can we ask for with such an effect as this? And, to add to the discussion of the "off by one" component, I think it actually packs a huge punch, just as big as a direct hit. Some spectators might see a direct hit as luck. But regardless, even if they don't, the "off by one" essentially takes a "haha, the magician screwed up" moment, and punches back.
Message: Posted by: rosariorose9 (Nov 7, 2016 03:06PM)
[quote]On Nov 7, 2016, DavidJComedy wrote:
It works, it's a great version, it's mobile, and easy to do. What more can we ask for with such an effect as this? And, to add to the discussion of the "off by one" component, I think it actually packs a huge punch, just as big as a direct hit. Some spectators might see a direct hit as luck. But regardless, even if they don't, the "off by one" essentially takes a "haha, the magician screwed up" moment, and punches back. [/quote]

Couldn't agree more. I LOVE those moments when "the magician screwed up" are turned upside down, and KK fits that to a 't'.
Message: Posted by: DavidJComedy (Nov 7, 2016 03:14PM)
Yes. Especially if you open with this, or even better, use it on the streets. At that single moment, when the card is shown, right before you mention it's not the right one, they are already realizing this. And probably thinking, ok this guy is a joke. Then...boom. And you've roped them in to wanting more. It's a hugely powerful opener, in my opinion.
Message: Posted by: 252life (Nov 11, 2016 06:15PM)
Thanks to all for feedback.
Got it. Love it.


252ShortandSweet
Message: Posted by: Sanukk (Apr 17, 2018 01:02PM)
OK, resurrecting an old thread, but I think my comments will be relevant.

Unlike most of the naysayers in this thread. I have, and do perform KK, so I'm talking from experience rather than a wild guess at what may happen and/or what a spectator might say or do.

First and foremost for the people who don't like the idea of the 'off by one' result, I've always found that to get the best reactions, and I can say that for a fact because if you confidently pull out the 'wrong' card and hold it up as a hit, they always react to you being right before noticing it's off. They then react again to the back of the card on that reveal, and I can't think of a single occasion where the latter was not the bigger response.

On the odd occasion when people have said (or I think they are going to say) "You've just got a load of cards in there" I say "Really, you think I can fit all my store cards, credit cards, and money in here... AND a full deck of cards?" and show my wallet is thinner than a deck of cards (which I always have to hand anyway). after that, they know it's impossible to work the way they thought and dismiss the idea.

Performing surrounded is not an issue either, done it loads of times. I do use mini-cards rather than standards, so that does help provide cover, but I wouldn't be even slightly nervous about using normal cards, it's just down to handling, I just use the minis to keep my wallet tidier.

I don't use a special wallet, it lives in my normal day-to-day wallet. It's one of my favourite go-to effects and I've probably done it more than any other single effect. Sometimes as a standalone, others as the starting point for something else using the selected card, I absolutely love KK
Message: Posted by: Rizzo (Apr 17, 2018 01:04PM)
I too find this a solid workable effect and true- the off by one amazes more than it fails.
Message: Posted by: BrianMel (Apr 17, 2018 01:18PM)
Yes Sanukk,

I’ve actually changed my opinion on the out. I’ve found a nice patter for it although I don’t perform the effect anymore. What Really made me angry was the deceptive trailer that was released for this effect. Had they released an honest trailer that shower both sides of the effect, then people wouldn’t have been so angry I think. I believe it was more an issue of people expecting this amazing Impossible feat only to be sompletely let down that the effect taught was completely different than what was shown in the trailer.
Message: Posted by: Sanukk (Apr 17, 2018 02:07PM)
[quote]On Apr 17, 2018, BrianMel wrote:
I've actually changed my opinion on the out.[/quote]Cool ;^>
[quote] I've found a nice patter for it although I don't perform the effect anymore.[/quote]Is there a reason you dropped it?
[quote] What Really made me angry was the deceptive trailer that was released for this effect. Had they released an honest trailer that shower both sides of the effect, then people wouldn’t have been so angry I think. I believe it was more an issue of people expecting this amazing Impossible feat only to be sompletely let down that the effect taught was completely different than what was shown in the trailer. [/quote]I had already been doing KK for some time before ever seeing the trailer, so I didn't think anything of it, but lets be truthful, how rare are honest magic trailers anyway? LOL
Message: Posted by: Xcath1 (Apr 17, 2018 02:31PM)
I too am a huge fan of the effect but also knew the trick before the Penguin release. I originally had the special wallet and until the Penguin release I t had not occurred to me that you could do it wth a regular wallet.
I agree about the trailer. That’s magic marketing today.
Message: Posted by: Rennie (Aug 5, 2018 11:08AM)
[quote]On Jul 28, 2016, mike donoghue wrote:
I bought the original wallet many years agop when it 1st came out but for the price I took the plunge to see what these two guys have added to it(incidently I never used the original version in close up events. I used to do it as an invisisble card type routine in cabaret).

Over the years I have bought so many versions of this. However, for the price it's worth a view.

After downloading & watching the video I will post my findings(views) on here.

Mike Donoghue [/quote]

This does not come with a wallet, you use your own everyday wallet.
Message: Posted by: D_avid (Aug 5, 2018 08:49PM)
Actually years ago there was a KK wallet produced by Kenton as well as a limited release resurrection. I carry a form of this on me (via 4 business cards) and, while I don't perform as much as I should, I use this as often as possible.
Message: Posted by: NeverMind (Aug 10, 2018 03:04AM)
KK by Kenton is a great effect. This just happens to be a video version of that. A nice one though.

I perform this fairly regularly - but in combo with 7 by Bryn Reynolds. KK and 7 combo works very well for me.

The Unknown Mentalist has expanded on the basic KK OB1 principle in his Kolossal Knockout series with some cool ideas without cards.

So for a first time buyer of KK, this vid will be useful.
Message: Posted by: mindhunter (Aug 11, 2018 01:38PM)
[quote]On Aug 10, 2018, NeverMind wrote:

I perform this fairly regularly - but in combo with 7 by Bryn Reynolds. KK and 7 combo works very well for me.[/quote]

Thank you, Nevermind.

KK is certainly a a most excellent effect.

Bryn
Message: Posted by: Tony Curtis (Aug 14, 2018 02:34PM)
[img]http://tonycurtismagic.com/images/magic/kolossalkillerlimitededitionthumb.jpg[/img]

This was the limited edition version of Kolossal Killer that I produced.

Tony
Message: Posted by: Dustin Baker (Aug 26, 2018 04:33PM)
To open, I purchased this last week and haven't even set it up yet, but I like to get other people's feel for things before I go out and use it. A couple things occurred to me about the effect and some of them have already been mentioned.

[quote]On Apr 17, 2018, Sanukk wrote:
First and foremost for the people who don't like the idea of the 'off by one' result, I've always found that to get the best reactions, and I can say that for a fact because if you confidently pull out the 'wrong' card and hold it up as a hit, they always react to you being right before noticing it's off. They then react again to the back of the card on that reveal, and I can't think of a single occasion where the latter was not the bigger response.
[/quote]

Yeah, that was my first thought.
I didn't buy KK because I wanted people to be mystified by me pulling the right card every time, I wanted a method and I'll see what I can do with it from there. With the existing method, you're right <40% of the time, which is fine, because - the method.

My first thought was, "Eh, the prediction element is fine, but it's just kinda' done after that." Being "amazed" and being "entertained" are two different things, and I would much prefer the latter. Being off by one on the other hand would be hilarious, and from "off by one" most spectators will gleam that you "could have" shown the card they named, but you didn't because it's not as fun.

The off by one element actually seems much much stronger to me. It tells the spectator, "I could have pulled your exact card, but this was funnier", establishing that you are skilled at the craft, but more importantly that you're there to entertain them, not just to have them gaze in awe of your greatness.
Message: Posted by: Papa Legba (Apr 7, 2019 02:55PM)
[quote]On Jul 28, 2016, DrewBstoss wrote:
Mark Elsdon tipped a great bit of thinking in his (first) Penguin Live lecture that allows you to streamline the "pack out" for this plot. Almost any wallet would work using Mark's strategy.

Best,

Drew [/quote]

Interested in buying this, what is the date of the lecture please?
Message: Posted by: Papa Legba (Apr 7, 2019 02:59PM)
[quote]On Aug 26, 2018, Dustin Baker wrote:
To open, I purchased this last week and haven't even set it up yet, but I like to get other people's feel for things before I go out and use it. A couple things occurred to me about the effect and some of them have already been mentioned.

[quote]On Apr 17, 2018, Sanukk wrote:
First and foremost for the people who don't like the idea of the 'off by one' result, I've always found that to get the best reactions, and I can say that for a fact because if you confidently pull out the 'wrong' card and hold it up as a hit, they always react to you being right before noticing it's off. They then react again to the back of the card on that reveal, and I can't think of a single occasion where the latter was not the bigger response.
[/quote]

Yeah, that was my first thought.
I didn't buy KK because I wanted people to be mystified by me pulling the right card every time, I wanted a method and I'll see what I can do with it from there. With the existing method, you're right <40% of the time, which is fine, because - the method.

My first thought was, "Eh, the prediction element is fine, but it's just kinda' done after that." Being "amazed" and being "entertained" are two different things, and I would much prefer the latter. Being off by one on the other hand would be hilarious, and from "off by one" most spectators will gleam that you "could have" shown the card they named, but you didn't because it's not as fun.

The off by one element actually seems much much stronger to me. It tells the spectator, "I could have pulled your exact card, but this was funnier", establishing that you are skilled at the craft, but more importantly that you're there to entertain them, not just to have them gaze in awe of your greatness. [/quote]

I love Knepper's verbal reversal here, he says "YOU were indeed off by one, congratulations on being correct"
Message: Posted by: Aaron Vlack (Apr 7, 2019 05:20PM)
Https://kolossalkillerplus.blogspot.com , in here the original pdf is available
Message: Posted by: Angeoliver (Mar 29, 2020 02:55AM)
Hi guys ...
Well.. I'm using now number 4 enveloppes of Blake Vogt to do this killer effect ;)
Message: Posted by: Neznarf (Mar 29, 2020 11:27AM)
Oh what a feeling it was.

Years ago at a magic meeting, a guy asked me to name ANY CARD.

I name the 6 of Spades and he pulled it out of his wallet.

So Amazed by that.

Don't know if OFF BY ONE would have amazed me as much.

I did the trick for years until the ink on back of cards wore off

then stopped doing it.

But I couldn't believe when he pulled out the 6 of spades.
Message: Posted by: indomagic (Apr 1, 2020 01:54AM)
[quote]On Mar 29, 2020, Neznarf wrote:
Oh what a feeling it was.

Years ago at a magic meeting, a guy asked me to name ANY CARD.

I name the 6 of Spades and he pulled it out of his wallet.

So Amazed by that.

Don't know if OFF BY ONE would have amazed me as much.

I did the trick for years until the ink on back of cards wore off

then stopped doing it.

But I couldn't believe when he pulled out the 6 of spades. [/quote]

I guess you can do it with Bang On Wallet.
Message: Posted by: Neznarf (Apr 2, 2020 11:36AM)
Here is the youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plO37Jvhg00
Message: Posted by: Doomo (Apr 2, 2020 03:44PM)
[quote]On Apr 2, 2020, Neznarf wrote:
Here is the youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plO37Jvhg00 [/quote]

here it is with any named card no gaffed cards and no wallet...

https://youtu.be/qfgWtiTX2Mg
Message: Posted by: Steven Conner (Apr 2, 2020 04:15PM)
[quote]On Apr 2, 2020, Doomo wrote:
[quote]On Apr 2, 2020, Neznarf wrote:


here it is with any named card no gaffed cards and no wallet...

https://youtu.be/qfgWtiTX2Mg [/quote]

Terrible demo
Message: Posted by: Kurtis Chin (Apr 4, 2020 03:00PM)
[quote]On Apr 2, 2020, Doomo wrote:
[quote]On Apr 2, 2020, Neznarf wrote:
Here is the youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plO37Jvhg00 [/quote]

here it is with any named card no gaffed cards and no wallet...

https://youtu.be/qfgWtiTX2Mg [/quote]

Tony, ah, you don't mention that you have 52 card boxes just out of camera view :)