(Close Window)
Topic: 50:50 Fantasia by Ian Rowland
Why am I sitting in a park, surrounded by people hunting Pokemons typing a review in my phone? Because it's just not right to have just read something this good, this diabolically clever...this complete mastery of word smithing and keep it to myself.

This is the propless miracle so many new offerings are trying to be.

What is it? A sure fire never miss method for winning ANY 50/50 bet. I mean simply that it can't miss. Your spectator can choose any pair of things: shapes, celebrities, seasons, colors...ANYTHING.

Let's say they choose shapes. You take a piece of paper and secretly draw a shape on it. You give it to your spectator and have him place his hand on top of it. You never touch it again. You ask him to name either of two shapes (circle or triangle for example) and as HE unfolds the paper it provides proof that that you did, indeed,know which choice he was going to make before he did. And it simply cannot miss. Ever.

I don't want to risk revealing the method by describing more detail. So I won't.

This isn't a basic bar bet either. Rowland has created a pro worthy routine that, in the proper hands, will create a literal onstage miracle. I'm excited about this...really excited. I know it's a great design because my mind is already bubbling over with different ways this system can be used.

I am not sure it's a good bet for mentalists who are newer to the art. I suspect the effect is much stronger with solid audience management and absolute stage control. But I am betting it's going to be like no prop napalm in the right hands.

It costs the equivalent of 27 American dollars .but I think it would be cheap at five times the price because this lovely idea is something I'm going to USE. It's really that good. To be clear: I don't know Ian personally, although I respect his work. I bought my copy. I've read it twice now (it's an eBook of less than 40 pages) and I cannot detect a single flaw in the script or effect design.

As far as I am concerned...50:50 Fantasia is the best mentalism release of the year. And it's been a very good year.

5 billets out of 5 from me.

David
Super... could you post a link?

Where could we buy it?
Http://www.thecoldreadingconnection.com/50-50-fantasia/

Here you go BlackZ

Regards
DR Rob
Thanks Dr. Rob... I have just taken it!
Terrific stuff. When Mr Rowland notifies me of something new I always know it's going to be worthwhile. And this certainly is exceptionally worthwhile.

I DOUBLE what David said up above.
It is really good and strong material if you are able to use it in the right way!

Thanks for the hints... I like it!
Oh, wow... wow. Maybe I'm biased because I generally love most of what Ian puts out, but this piece is just [i]insane[/i]. David, many thanks for bringing it to our attention. Wow. They literally choose one of two things, anything, and you are clearly and unequivocally correct. Don't know what to say about this, except it is one of the best impromptu miracles I've ever read. I'm blown away at how good this is.

When he first described the basic structure, the framework, of what is going on, I pursed my lips and went, "Hmmm. Intriguing, but..." I still needed to be sold. Then he went through the actual routine, with examples for both stage and close-up impromptu (essentially the same), and my mouth opened in awe. And I went, "Oh. My. God." I was definitely sold.

Ian says he's been using this for 15 years, and it shows in the book. It's pretty much perfect, as far as I can tell. It is extremely well thought out and polished, while not being complex, which is pretty much signature Ian. And if you think a single 50/50 chance is boring, well... you're in for quite a shock! There is humor and pulse-pounding suspense built in.

I'll stop gushing and just agree with what David and others have said. This is a keeper that I will use, and one of the best things to come around in a LONG time.
I am very grateful for all your kind words. I put a lot of work in developing and refining 50:50 Fantasia, so it's very gratifying to know that some of you seem to like it.

May I offer just one fun additional idea for people who want to use this principle?

We all know that 'humor' and 'fun' are very subjective terms. This may or may not appeal to you, but I'll offer it anyway.

Sometimes, when I perform 50:50, I deliberately present a choice between two really weird items that obviously have no connection at all. For example, I'll hand the spectator a piece of folded black card. I say, 'Inside this card is a picture. It's either two kittens on a skateboard, or the front cover of a washing machine manual'. The general idea is to make the two items as inherently absurd, unlikely and completely unrelated as possible, just to give the item a slightly surreal, strange, 'Pythonesque' quality.

Another example. 'Inside this card is a drawing I did this morning. It's either a simple cartoon of Donald Trump with toothache, or a schematic diagram of a flying saucer for very heavy, overweight aliens'. And take it from there.

I know this won't appeal to everyone. Like I said, 'funny' is very subjective. I just wanted to make the point that, unlike all the examples in the booklet, the two choices can be silly, surreal and absurd.
OMG what more can I add to what has already been said firstly I can understand why this is geared towards a professional Mentalist only as these are the ones with the goods required to put forward as collateral towards the bet.

It's virtually the cleanest 50/50 procedure you will ever find.

So many variations are possible as they say in every sales post it's only limited by your imagination (Can't believe I've said that again too)

Please Ian put a limit on the amount on downloads you are selling to keep the secret mega secret.
I know if you do this you don't make as much money but I would hate to see it appear in a torrent!!

Did it this morning and no I'm still here.

Regards
Dr Rob
Ian,

IT states on your web site that it cannot be repeated in a close-up setting and that it can only be done one time at the venue. So if I did this at a table, and someone says do it again, I would not be able to do it again even using a different name, color or drawing on the paper?

Thank you.
Michael
[quote]On Jul 30, 2016, magicinsight wrote:
Ian, IT states on your web site that it cannot be repeated in a close-up setting and that it can only be done one time at the venue. So if I did this at a table, and someone says do it again, I would not be able to do it again even using a different name, color or drawing on the paper?[/quote]

You are correct. As stated on my website in the description, you would only use '50:50 Fantasia' once per venue or engagement. This item is most useful for impromptu performances or stage/cabaret. If you mainly do close-up work and what some people refer to as 'table hopping', this item maybe won't be much use to you in the sense that you wouldn't use it serially, at table after table. However, it would work very well as a 'something special' item you save to perform once for the top table at the event or for a VIP guest. I hope this answers your question.

http://www.thecoldreadingconnection.com/50-50-fantasia/
I bought this and, based on one reading so far, I can join the enthusiasm train in support of this effect--with the acknowledged one-time limitation that Ian just explained.

The advertising copy may not be 100% accurate. In the list of things that the effect does NOT rely on-- such as gimmicks, moves, slights, forces, equivoque, stooges, dual reality, and extra-purchases, some readers will interpret the actual methodology to involve a variation of one or two of those things.

Ian is the regular writer for the "Loving Mentalism" column in Magic Magazine. Readers will find the same clear and engaging writing in this ebook.

George
George, do you mean you may need a paper and pencil or pen? Don't answer I already own it. Personally the not 100% accurate may need be 100% accurate.

But let's leave it there out of respect for Ian.

THis is a great effect that amateurs could effectively screw up royally if they do not study the routine properly. That's all I see.

George let's meet up at mindvention.
I picked this up a few days ago. It is absolutely brilliant. What makes this effect so powerful is it's simplicity. This is minimalist and super clean. This is an effect you can genuinely perform completely impromptu, do it anywhere, anytime. It's one of those effects that you really don't want to share with your fellow mentalists, it's too good. Perform it and walk away. Thanks to Ian, it's his meticulous attention to detail that makes it all possible.
My friends, let's please not have this thread, like so many Magic Café threads, veer in the direction of the how and the method. '50:50 Fantasia' is a delicate little secret. You can expose the BASIC secret in a couple of sentences. I'm hoping I can share my work with you all without this happening.

George, I'm truly sorry you don't think my description is accurate, but I think it is. I stand by every word on my website. 50:50 Fantasia doesn't use any of the methods that I say it doesn't use. By all means let's chat about it: ian@ianrowland.com .

I have tried to bend over backwards to be fair about this item. I have gone the extra mile NOT to encourage sales for the sake of sales. I have discouraged less experienced performers from buying it. I have told the close-up guys the truth, that they won't be using this all evening, table after table. I'm trying to be fair and honest. So far, it seems, people seem to like what they get when they purchase this. I hope this continues.
Newcastle railway station. A seasoned performer sitting open-mouthed with a single red playing card in front of him, the spectators with their heads in their hands, and Ian scooping up his watch, phone, and all the cash on the table and returning it to his wallet. I wish I had had a camera to capture that moment. I've known about this effect for some time, as Ian was kind enough to show it to me many years ago. So, to all those people who keep messaging me on FB and asking questions about this, here is the answer: Just get it! And thank you to those who listened to me and came back to thank me for that one piece of advice! If somebody asks me to "do something", this is what I perform. I might have a NW in my pocket, or ESP cards. Or billets - doesn't matter. THIS is what I perform. Every time. Not only is it clever, but it is fun to perform - the only difficult part is stopping myself from looking smug as I go through the performance.
Hi Ian:

I like your work, and I regard your description as essentially accurate. I was only reflecting on how some mentalists might frame the methodology from their knowledge and experience in the field. I will be more specific in a pm, but am content to leave it and am more than content to perform it--when I am ready!

George
Ian and I have talked via pm's, and I am now satisfied that the ad's claim that 20/20 involves no gimmicks etc. is precisely accurate.

Also, in the Café's spirit of "magicians helping magicians," I have spent more time with the ebook and can now say: IF you want a splendid one-timer effect AND you have enough performing bravado, this will be the best 20 pounds you have spent in a long time.

Oh, a belated thanks to David for alerting us to this unusual opportunity.

George
I just purchased it. I did not see a link to download the ebook. Will a link be sent to my email address?

Thank you.
Michael
Michael -- please contact me by email and I'll be happy to make sure you get what you paid for! ian@ianrowland.com

Regards,
- Ian
Ian,

Did my telling you how utterly diabolical this effect was at the pub following your Davenports lecture prompt you to release this little gem? If so, can I claim commission? ;)

Despite knowing the method, I'm still going to buy this as I'm sure there's a handful of little extras that are priceless (it's also deserving of my hard earned cash)

Regards
Andrew
[quote]On Jul 31, 2016, Ian Rowland wrote:
Michael -- please contact me by email and I'll be happy to make sure you get what you paid for! ian@ianrowland.com

Regards,
- Ian [/quote]

Thank you.

Michael
I recently made the purchase. Simple yet very elegant..
Ian:

Will you be creating a discussion forum for those of us who bought 50/50?

George
Hi George. No, I wasn't intending to.
An incredible piece of work/tool can't praise this highly enough. Hat's off to Ian for sharing this masterpiece!

Go buy it now guys, I would bet my last dollar that you will simply adore this :)

Best Wishes Michael
:applause:

I was up late last night reading this Ebook - After the first read through I sat and stared at the floor for a good 10 minutes playing it all out in my mind. Then I sat back and breathed a huge sigh. It was a sigh brought out of total respect.
The kind of sigh you give when you see a world class footballer score a goal you could NEVER score, or a boxer punch someone in a way you know would have KILLED you! Or a singer hit a note that sends your whole being into MELTDOWN!

It's that moment of clarity, of genius, of something special that you didn't even know you wanted to find.

This effect is a MONSTER!!!

Without wanting to sound smug, It's definitely more at home with a seasoned performer. Not because it's difficult or involves any complicated handling of any kind but because a seasoned performer will understand the simplicity of it's strength.

This is thinking on a different level. This is from a mind that get's the meaning of words and how to use them.

I'm blown away by this thinking and, if I'm being honest, has made me doubt my own ability to create miracles and left me feeling inadequate. Which is ironic because my audiences will have a very different view of me when I perform this.

This shouldn't be a limited release - this should be acknowledged as a legendary effect, that inspires and raises the bar of creation.

AMAZING WORK.

Congratulations Mr Ian Rowland.

Matt.
Just about to take the plunge on this one. Would like to know if it uses....erm.. linguistic finesses. In other words, would it work in any language, regardless of how that language position words in a sentence?
Hi broothal!

If you check out the description for '50:50 Fantasia' on my website, this point is addressed: "The booklet is in English but the routine will work in any other language. I have had customers try this in German. Dutch, Spanish, Norwegian and Hebrew so far! It works!"

So, yeah, it works.

D'oh... Sorry - it says right there on the website. Shame on me for not reading it through.
Michael Murray very kindly gave me the heads up on this, and I'm so glad he did otherwise it would of slipped under the radar. Thanks Mike.

What can I say about 50:50 Fantasia?

This is bloody brilliant, it reads great on paper, but plays 10 times better in real life. Iv'e fried two people with this today, they were clueless.
This is how real mind reading should look.

I honestly can't find any flaws in this routine, it is perfect in it's simplicity.

Do yourselves a favour and get this while you can, don't let it slip under your radar.
As a big fan of Ian's work (his Penguin Live lecture is one of my favorites) - I was confident that this would be a high caliber release. I was ABSOLUTELY correct in my "prediction"!

As other's have said, this is elegant, simple, and DEVASTATING.

If you don't mind going a bit "dark" in your show combining Ian's technique with the presentation of Rick Maue's "Heads & Tales" is a match made in heaven...granted you aren't gambling with money and material possessions but the stakes are EVEN HIGHER!

Best,

Drew
So, so, so good! Absolutely love this routine. Just brilliant thinking. Best "single effect" release of 2016 so far. Outstanding job, Ian. Posted a short review on my website:

http://fx.robbriddel.com/ideas/5050-fantasia/
Hi Robb I loved your review reminds me of nearly exactly what I bet when I first havr it a trial with my mate I put my car keys in on the bet (I rent my house so that's not an option).

I concur with everything you said.

Regards
Dr Rob
I second the praise for this effect.

At first, I was kind of hesitant to purchase this effect.
But my curiosity won, so I bought it.

And I don't regret it for a second.
In fact, I would happily pay double the price for this, it's so good.
It's simple, elegant, insanely clean....
it has great drama built in and you can have a lot of fun with your participant.
I can't believe that a simple 50:50 bet can be so strong.

One question though;
I like the idea of giving away a consolation prize at the end... it's a nice gesture and also "softens" the "I win - you lose... nananananaa"-factor a bit.
What kind of consolation prize would you use?
I am also a very happy customer. I had the pleasure to perform it twice this week close up. It went great!
I changed the presentation a little bit, to fit my personality. Probably the best propless 50:50 guess I ever came across.

Regarding Alexxanders question; I also have a problem with the " I win ...you lose" situation, and thought what
consolation prize to use.
Maybe a can of Sauerkraut? :sun:
Give the person a lucky coin. Either do a flip and tell them to call it.... And no matter what they say say "correct! This is a lucky coin" and gift it after you sign it.... Or do a coin bend and give it to them. Keeps a 50% theme.
Wow, there are a lot of people I trust recommending this. I guess I’m just perplexed as to how a single one-time 50/50 revelation has got you all so excited. Could anyone elaborate, if possible without delving into exposure of presentation and/or method?

Thanks!
Dear Scott0819:
I'm not sure what sort of elaboration you're after, especially if you don't want anyone to blab about the presentation or the method.
The relevant product page on my website has 664 words of description and 'elaboration'. Various people have thanked me for being so honest in the text rather than just grabbing every dollar (e.g. being open about the fact that it's unsuitable for beginners, and that close-up guys can use this item but it's something you'd only do once per gig).
If you want any more elaboration, feel free to email me and I'll do my best to help you. ian@ianrowland.com .
I take a page out of Osterlind's book and give them a lottery ticket that "I feel pretty good about."

The more I work with this the more I like it.

Ian: you crafty fella...good on ya.

David
Thank you Michael Murray for bringing attention to this. Just finished reading the .pdf. Great idea. Great tool. Thank you Ian...
I've pondered on getting this for a few weeks now because it sounds so intriguing. I've only one question and am sorry if it's been addressed elsewhere... Does this have to be performed on strangers or could it work on a friend or acquaintance?
Ignore my above question. I've just read the blurb again and it says 'For close-up performances, place a coin under a friend's hand'...
It works on anyone.
The 'trust' scenario is both hilarious and awesome.
Really interested in this. I will wait some reviews and then I will valutate the purchase
I bought this a while back and I have to say it is a solid effect which I carry in my wallet. I have added some very small subtleties to this which work for me.
This is incredible thinking. A stunning piece of mentalism. And the 50/50 scenario is so exciting for participants and spectators. a 50/50 bet is so much more exciting because it could go either way, this leaves lots of room for showmanship and fun.

This permanently sits in my wallet.

This is my favourite release of 2016.

Joel.
[quote]On Oct 11, 2016, JoelDickinson wrote:
This permanently sits in my wallet.
Joel. [/quote]
Ha ha! I like that. Thanks for your very kind words, Joel.

For those who don't know, 'permanently in my wallet' is meant in a metaphorical way. There is nothing to carry round for '50:50 Fantasia'. Once you know the secret and learn the presentation, you can do it anywhere, at any time. No props, no get ready, no set up, no nothing. Just perform it.

Isn't the photo or piece of paper a prop?
[quote]On Oct 12, 2016, Martin Pulman wrote:
Isn't the photo or piece of paper a prop? [/quote]
That's just one presentational option, and you don't necessarily need to carry anything around with you. There are infinite possibilities.

I never carry anything with me for 50:50 Fantasia. If someone asks me to perform it, I might, for example, borrow a napkin and then ask the spectator if she wants to work with letters, numbers, colours, names or whatever? Let's say she chooses letters. I can then pick up the napkin, write a letter on it, and then make the routine about whether I've written A or B, or her name or mine, or the word MAGIC or MYSTERY. Or I could take her phone, open a text file or a text message screen, and write a letter or several letters on that.

If there's nothing to write on (or with), I could simply put a coin under the spec's hand and build the routine around heads or tails. Or pick up a free newspaper and make the routine about the first word in the first headline on page ten.

The point is, there's never any need to carry anything around with me.
This premise of Ian's is a fine addition to the growing pantheon of 50/50 effects.

Let's be clear: if I paid this for just a page describing the basic principle I'd be a very happy man. But as is typical of Ian Rowland in his many publications, he does not settle for rushing this out with 4 pages of text and the closing encouragement: '...only limited by your own imagination.' He provides a range of strong presentations, to cover a variety of styles and performing conditions. He explores the principle and every aspect of its presentation in depth, so what you're receiving is effectively a lecture on the principle.

I've now got two strong performance pieces, one for close up social or one-to-one scenarios, one for stand up. It's that versatile.

I've long been a big fan of 50/50 effects; I can understand why many performers dismiss them because of the paucity of choice, but as this manuscript brings alive, there is a simplicity and elegance about such effects, and in the hands of an experienced performer can build real tension and impact. As Ian makes crystal clear in his marketing, this is not for beginners: not because it is complicated, but you need a degree of confidence and experience of working with participants to make it go smoothly.

And since you're wondering, no it is not an extension of equivoque or lie/truth approaches. It's that purest of items, true propless mentalism. Although as Ian suggests, the use of props adds to the theatricality of the presentation piece.

It's already October, but this could turn out to be the purchase of the year for me. Ian: I'm not sure why you chose to put this on the market, but thank you for making it available to we lesser mortals.
What if the spectator says "OK, do it again"?
[quote]On Oct 13, 2016, chanor wrote:
What if the spectator says "OK, do it again"? [/quote]

Seriously? There are thousands of effects that can't be repeated.
I've been very honest and clear about the fact that '50:50 Fantasia' is something you would only use once per venue or engagement. If this means it is of no use to you, then don't buy it!

If someone asks you to do it again, you can't. Even if you could, I'm not sure it would be a good idea. If you perform the Chicago Opener for someone and they say do it again, would you? It's technically possible, but it wouldn't be a good idea. Same for B'Wave, or Invisible Deck, or Card Under The Glass or Out Of This World or thousands of other tricks (as Pit Boss) has just pointed out.

So I suppose the correct response is that you would say, "I won't show you that again because you've already seen it, so it's not so much fun. You wouldn't go see the same movie two times in a row. But I can show you something you'll find just as interesting..." and then segue neatly into your next effect.
Of course there are many effects that can't be repeated. But it seems to me that a 50-50 effect performed once is just crying out for a demand for repetition. Thanks for the appropriate response and segue.
50/50 decisions can be incredibly powerful.
For instance. the clock is ticking towards zero. Do you cut the red wire or the blue.
Your choice...
Just got this.

Brilliant.

I love the fact that I can add another incredibly strong impromptu effect in my go-to lineup (and it will). Now to put the requisite work in and learn it cold. My admiration is for not just the cleverness, but the deliberate layering-up of making the bet move from a "simple" 50:50 to a showing true [i]confidence[/i] in your ability to win. Priceless.

Worth more than I paid... thanks Ian for releasing this.
Just picked this up and this is a true work of art. Awesome job Ian.

As Ebay says ''Buy It Now"
Typically elegant and devious thinking from Ian Rowland. I needn't have purchased it, but I did; how was he certain that I would?

In many ways its simplicity adds to its impressiveness, but the careful lacquering and polishing of the raw material just enhances its beauty and value.

This might just be my favourite Ian Rowland effect since "Sense of Touch" ( and 50/50 Fantasia doesn't require frequent recalibration of the laser interferometer!)
Laser interferometer?

I'm sorry, but I think the Chroma magnet handling is vastly superior.
With the Chroma magnet applied as described, you will note that it responds only if a red card is in the vicinity. Black cards have no effect. The silent vibrations tell you all you need to know. The Chroma magnet, which is not really a magnet at all in the true sense, works over a range of 18-24 inches, depending on performing conditions.
Works like a charm!
Ah, Alexander, you obviously got the much desired export edition of "SoT". I can only dream of having a Chroma Magnet.

Back on topic, the versatility of 50/50 Fantasia is another huge plus point, the freedom of the spectator to choose their own choices adds further bewilderment.
[quote]On Oct 29, 2016, johoyo wrote:
This might just be my favourite Ian Rowland effect since "Sense of Touch" ( and 50/50 Fantasia doesn't require frequent recalibration of the laser interferometer!) [/quote]

[quote]On Oct 30, 2016, Alexxander wrote:
Laser interferometer?

I'm sorry, but I think the Chroma magnet handling is vastly superior.
[/quote]

[quote]On Oct 30, 2016, johoyo wrote:
Ah, Alexander, you obviously got the much desired export edition of "SoT". I can only dream of having a Chroma Magnet.[/quote]

Just before I start getting emails and PMs about this, can I make it clear that johoyo and Alexxander are just having a bit of FUN! Neither my 'Sense of Touch' effect (long out of print) nor '50:50 Fantasia' have anything to do with concealed devices, lasers, magnets or anything similar. These comments are HUMOUR (British) or HUMOR (American), okay? Not to be taken seriously.
Message: Posted by: TheDirectionalist (Oct 31, 2016 01:38PM)
Just picked this up last night.. Absolutely terrific. Hands down one of the best purchases I made this year.

-Dustin Dean
In your advertising :

No pre-show, no dual reality, no stooges. No force or equivoque.

For me there is an equivoque.

"Equivocation (or the magician's choice) is a verbal technique by which a magician gives an audience member an apparently free choice, but frames the next stage of the trick in such a way that each choice has the same end result."

Otherwise, this effect and the presentation are very good. I will learn it and test it when I will be ready.

Good job mister Rowland.
[quote]On Nov 1, 2016, Dreda wrote:
No pre-show, no dual reality, no stooges. No force or equivoque.
For me there is an equivoque.[/quote]

Ha ha! The inevitable has happened! I did wonder how long we'd have to wait before someone came along and said '50:50 Fantasia' is an equivoque routine.

We actually did pretty well, all things considered. We got as far as the third page of this thread. Not bad! In my opinion, this intention to explicitly refer to the METHOD isn't what the Magic Café is for and sort of derails the thread, but hey, what can you do? I guess that's both the strength and the flaw of the internet: anyone can post anything they like.

Anyway, Dreda thinks '50:50' is an equivoque routine. I don't think it is. There's nothing I can do about Dreda's post, so he and I will just have to agree to differ, in the most friendly and mutually respectful way possible!
Of course, I said this for the future buyers who could be surprised like me.
But that doesn't detract in any way from the beauty of the effect and its construction / subtleties.
Anyone who really understands equivoque will easily understand why 50:50 fantasia is not equivoque...
Both methods share the fact that they use language and communication to create a prediction/influence effect, but through totally different means.
Equivoque !@#$*s an object through a process of elimination, 50:50 Fantasia is a method to win a 50:50 bet.
Please choose either the tomayto or tomahto...
I mean I can see the argument to both sides. But either way it's not something I would've easily came up with even knowing equivoque. It's extremely clever and fooled me when reading the initial effect from the perspective of the audience.

I would say it's not magicians choice. It does not force anything.
We all know that there is a lot of very bad equivoque around and while the term is not pejorative, it can create anxiety and reluctance to explore or adopt an effect.

I don't think that 50/50 Fantasia is an equivoque effect, but anyway I suspect that even those who dislike equivoque will like this.

The terminology as adopted by mentalists is not precisely or (ironically) unequivocally defined, so those who want to, can argue the point.

I have always found Ian Rowland's descriptions of his effects to be comprehensive and accurate to an unusually high standard and this is a great effect.
While Equivoque and Fantasia are not identical methods, they are at least fraternal twins.
Much of the disagreement here is a consequence of some folks conflating "magician's choice" with "equivoque".

A magician's choice is a forcing technique that make use of equivoque (i.e., equivocal statements). But that does not mean that equivoque ("statements with more than one possible meaning") is always used to implement a magician's choice. Equivoque is used widely in deceptive practices for a great variety of purposes.

And for the record, I think that 50:50 (or at least its earlier incarnation in Ian's lecture notes, which is the version I have) is a brilliant piece of work, easily worth the price asked.
This is one of those effects where the devil is in the detail. Ian Rowland's scripting is brilliant. Especially the final tactic. That is what makes it in my opinion.
Ian's gift for writing shines, and his scripts are reliably entertaining.
I have notified Ian of my mixed success with this effect. It is best performed with a segue into another effect, giving the audience less time to analyze it. A sophisticated spectator or audience can figure it out with a little thought.
[quote]On Dec 26, 2016, chanor wrote:
I have notified Ian of my mixed success with this effect. It is best performed with a segue into another effect, giving the audience less time to analyze it. A sophisticated spectator or audience can figure it out with a little thought. [/quote]

It would be ridiculous for me to dispute your experience while performing this so I'll just share mine - I've used this mainly in casual settings and a number of times over the phone (yep, it works a treat that way too!) in discussions with prospective clients to book shows. It was THE ONLY (or the final) demonstration that I did for those performances and it has been meet with nothing but absolute belief that I knew what they'd think in advance and/or somehow influenced them to say what I wanted them to.

MANY of the people I've done this for are quite "sophisticated" (Attorneys, IT developers, etc) so your experience may be due to other factors than any inherent failings of the technique. This, more than most effects out there, demands MASTERY of the script and the performing vibrato to support it.

Best,

Drew
Thanks, Drew.

I have absolutely mastered the script and --as a trained actor-- have the appropriate performance gravitas. The effect works on most people except those naysayers who truly disbelieve that the performer could know what they would think in advance and then seek an explanation. I have heard the debate of a group of doctors after performing it for them. They were spot on.
There are those audiences who enjoy mentalism as theater but cannot bring themselves to believe in real mind reading. In the case of this effect, a 12-year-old (a gifted one) figured it out via pure logic.

I suspect as you continue to perform this effect you will encounter people who understand its workings.

Kind regards,

Chanor
For a 1-2 punch to eliminate the nay sayers - segue into Rigg's Coin toss not for Old Men routine.....
[quote]On Dec 27, 2016, chanor wrote:
The effect works on most people except those naysayers who truly disbelieve that the performer could know what they would think in advance and then seek an explanation...

There are those audiences who enjoy mentalism as theater but cannot bring themselves to believe in real mind reading...[/quote]

Hi chanor,

Can't this be said of ANY effect?

For sake of discussion, let's imagine that you presented (in this case) a 50-50 routine but used no "technique" and simply relied on luck - 50% of the time you're right and 50% of the time you're wrong. Wouldn't the "skeptical" audience members who witness you succeed STILL walk away with some sort of explanation for how you accomplished the feat?

Or, taking the point into complete hypothetical territory, let's assume that you GENUINELY could anticipate someone's decision with 100% accuracy every time. Again, the audience member(s) in question would likely come up with their own theory (that obviously wouldn't include genuine predictive powers).

I guess my point is that this routine, like all others out there, depends on deception and therefore isn't fully bullet-proof and ANY type of magic/mentalism will be met with resistance by a sub-set of our audiences.

I responded to your initial comments about the routine as I did because I feel they didn't do justice to the BRILLIANT bit of thinking that Ian has shared with the community in this release. Sure, it has it's trade-offs because it relies on linguistic/perceptual strategies and not "mechanical" operation but that's why it's so appealing to me (and others I presume).

Finally, at least in the way I present myself (and my abilities), I'm really not all that concerned about the few who might see through the ruse. Those individuals STILL walk away with the understanding that I can alter people's perceptions using words and psychology. I could see this posing a potential problem for those who play the genuine "psychic seer" angle - but as I don't the technique sits well within my wheelhouse of apparent skills.

In the end though, no effect is for everyone :) I respect that you have your own concerns about its effectiveness.

Best,

Drew
Of course this can be said of any effect. I agree with everything you say. In my personal PM to you I went into more detail. Although I have shocked certain people with it, I think this is an easy effect to figure out. A bright 12-year-old child did by deductive reasoning!
As I wrote to you, an effect that depends on a choice with multiple outs engenders the question "What if I had chosen another color, card, number, etc.? Here there is only one "out." I feel this effect is very clever but not BRILLIANT.
Just my opinion. That is what this forum is for.

Cheers,

Chanor
[quote]On Dec 26, 2016, chanor wrote:
I have notified Ian of my mixed success with this effect. It is best performed with a segue into another effect, giving the audience less time to analyze it. A sophisticated spectator or audience can figure it out with a little thought. [/quote]

I have not performed this yet

So I'm just going on gut and how comfortable I feel about it

I do like to plan ahead

I like the routine and can see where I can add humour (which is my thing) - and how to make it 'my own'

Though one of the two outcomes had me thinking two things:

1. I need to move onto something quickly as if I leave any dead air, it's questionable or a little transparent

2. I'm not sure the script is as solid, as if you at first play like you lost (for a beat)... then say you won... then pack/reveal... that beat where you played like you lost may highlight your sneaky-worded-sneakiness ...

My fix to the second thing, by that I mean the less clean of the outcomes, I may not go for the 'I lost' moment, but skip straight to the I won... no need to check part of the script

On the whole this is a great idea

And I look forward to gagging it up and making it 'mine'

So although I feel the above problems to be true, it doesn't mean I don't think it's a great and worthwhile little routine

With the right script it's an opener, maybe

Especially if you get the audience to shout what they think, or some other participation

But I can see the mixed results and if you think it doesn't get that, you don't know what ppl think and are too polite to tell you....
After reading the comments I'm pretty sure this isn't for me.

If I do this for a crowd, I cannot control precisely who's watching the presentation. This means if the same person see the same effect presented by me in another crowd... well...
The "once per venue or engagement" don't tickle my criteria for "solid", so I'll pass this one.

Also, I think Doug Dyment nailed a very relevant subject to consider here:

[quote]On Nov 2, 2016, ddyment wrote:
Much of the disagreement here is a consequence of some folks conflating "magician's choice" with "equivoque".
[/quote]
Ian's 50/50 Fantasia is an extermely powerful weapon and considering the expertise of the marksman/performer, Fantasia 50/50 consistently leaves my audiences pleasantly and completely mystified.

My most brilliant participants' minds must surrender to Fantasia 50/50!
Hi Max,

this is similar to BOHT from Bryn Reynolds (which admittedly I shouldn't know about but got told about...shame on me, I will definitely by the Safwan Papers sooner or later...probably sooner rather than later) in the sense, that it can only be performed ONCE per venue...BUT...nobody will notice this the next time you perform. If you perform for the same group of people regularly, then this might be an issue, but only if regularly means "every few weeks" AND if you perform this same effect in the same way over and over again. If you mix the presentation, nobody will (or should, I should say) notice the method.

50:50 Fantasia is grandiose. It is subtle, Ian gives a full Scripting in the pdf and it is well worth it.

Also, Ian isn't one of the guys who puts out huge amounts of stuff to make Money. What he puts out is solid. Even if you ook at his Homepage at the stuff he gives away for free....then paying 20 bucks for 50:50 is a bargain.

Cheers

[quote]On Jan 6, 2017, Max Hazy wrote:
After reading the comments I'm pretty sure this isn't for me.

If I do this for a crowd, I cannot control precisely who's watching the presentation. This means if the same person see the same effect presented by me in another crowd... well...
The "once per venue or engagement" don't tickle my criteria for "solid", so I'll pass this one.

Also, I think Doug Dyment nailed a very relevant subject to consider here:

[quote]On Nov 2, 2016, ddyment wrote:
[/quote] [/quote]
I get the feeling this thread has run far beyond its natural course.

Some people like the stuff I put out. That's nice to hear.

Some people don't like it. Love and good luck to them too. Some people like jazz, others prefer rock or classical. There are as many preferences as there are people to have them.

If some people look at 50:50 and see great potential, good. I've had lots of fun using it and I hope they will too. It's one of the few things in mentalism that I actually _enjoy_ performing, knowing that by my words alone I am very slowly but surely snaring someone's mind in a trap -- without them noticing -- such that at the end they will have an entertaining, mysterious and intriguing experience that defies explanation. Who knows... this could be the most wonderful thing that's happened to them all day, or all week.

If other people look at 50:50 and don't see much potential, well, that's okay too. They'll prefer other items from other minds, other routes to those beautiful moments of entertaining mystery and intrigue that we are striving to create.

We all celebrate the art of mystery. We, and we alone, know how to create these incredible moments and delightful experiences for other people. We, and we alone, know how to give people the beautiful adventure of experiencing something that seems inexplicable, and how to make this entertaining or fascinating, or turn it into a metaphor for a positive message or an encouraging thought. This is the destination we all share, but there are many paths and roads that lead there. 50:50 Fantasia is just one of those paths. It is one of thousands. If you like it, use it. If you don't, no worries. You'll get there some other way that works just as well. The destination matters more than the path.

You reply with," ok" then do something else interesting. Maybe wink at them. It's called you are in charge.

You don't have to do what the audience says.

J
"What if the spectator says "OK, do it again"?"

1. Do you do this with any other trick? If you perform Ambitious Card (the whole routine, not just one phase) and someone asks you to do it again, do you? What about Card Under The Glass, or Confabulation, or Mental Epic? It's usually not possible to repeat a trick in any meaningful way, other than giving specs an extra chance to solve the method, and even if it is possible it's seldom advisable or a good idea.

2. Say, "I won't repeat that one because you've seen it so it would be a bit boring for us both, but there's something else I can show you that I think you'll find interesting..."

3. I once saw Sinatra close a show with 'My Way'. No-one asked him to please sing it again. They might have asked for an encore, but he came back and sang something else -- or he saved 'My Way' FOR the encore. When a comedian does a great routine and gets lots of laughs, the audience doesn't say 'That was great, tell us those jokes again'. It's not a very common feature of showbiz and entertainment for audiences to demand to see something again or for the performer / entertainer to worry about what to do if this happens. Yet suddenly, having published '50:50 Fantasia', it seems to be a common concern. I don't understand this.

4. I've been using and performing '50:50 Fantasia' for about 20 years. Nobody has ever asked to see it again because they 'get' that it's a one-off, something amazing and special and extraordinary that I'm sharing with them as a one-off treat. I'm not a performing dolphin that jumps through a hoop each time someone holds it up.

5. Say, "Ah, but repetition is dilution. Enjoy that for what it was. And now, let me share something else I think you'll enjoy..."

6. "I'll repeat it as soon as you can entirely wipe from your mind and your memory everything that you've just seen. This is the only way it works. Have you done that?" If they say 'No': "Well, I can't repeat it then, because it only works if you do." If they say 'Yes': "Right. What is it you're asking me to show you?" If they refer to '50:50 Fantasia', this proves they haven't wiped it from their mind.

7. Say, "I'm sorry, I can't. It only works once."
Vote : Number 5.
Or
8) you are trying to read me and my actions now. You will try and win the bet. Let's move on and do something different.
Yeah, I never really repeat anything unless that's built in to the structure of the effect and somehow makes it stronger. As Cassidy says, regardless of your performance style, building an authoritative persona is mostly necessary part of the mentalists character. Otherwise, you'll be at the mercy of your audience, which is hardly the vibe you want to give off.
[quote]On Jan 18, 2017, January wrote:
I never really repeat anything unless that's built in to the structure of the effect and somehow makes it stronger.[/quote]
Exactly. Very well put.
[quote]On Jan 18, 2017, January wrote:
Yeah, I never really repeat anything unless that's built in to the structure of the effect and somehow makes it stronger. As Cassidy says, regardless of your performance style, building an authoritative persona is mostly necessary part of the mentalists character. Otherwise, you'll be at the mercy of your audience, which is hardly the vibe you want to give off. [/quote]

Agreed.

I think it's worth to mention the reasons, as a few fellows apparently don't see this perspective:

[b]It's not about repeating the effect. It's about presenting for an audience with spectators who already saw it in another performance.[/b]

I also perform effects that cannot be immediately repeated... those that might need a reset for example (and a good amount of those are among my favorites).

But once per engagement is different. I just don't feel comfortable with it because I can't control exactly if everybody in the show is watching that performance for the first time, or not. I think I could add time up to the point where they forget what happened, but memory can be subjective and this would already make me uncomfortable in presentation. There are a couple other reasons, but I don't want to get technical here. I think this can be a gem for a lot of people, but I don't feel it is for me in particular.

I'm sure the value of this effect will not only be the method, but also the script and the ideas.
Ian Rowland is a true gentleman and an awesome mentalist. I wish him nothing but success with it. He deserves.

Cheers,

Max Hazy
[quote]On Jan 19, 2017, Max Hazy wrote:
I'm sure the value of this effect will not only be the method, but also the script and the ideas.
[/quote]

The value of 50:50 is mainly the principle that Ian shared with us (IMHO). This is not just a method. When I read it the first time, it reminded me of another subtlety that Looch teaches for his coinfabulation Routine in the Black Project. Ian just took it a step further, or maybe into a totally different direction, not sure how to describe it, especially without giving the secret away.

So on one hand you are right, with your statement, yet on the other hand your statement (or at least the part I cut out from your post and quoted above) is too imprecise to describe this wonderful principle.

And to say this again: You can repeat this effect for the same venue. Use the principle, but don't use the same presentation. Why go for a bet at the beginning? Money obvioulsy makes for a huge amount of intrigue, but you can use the principle with any 50:50 reveal...and why would anybody notice. Before I saw BOHT performed for the first time I couldn't understand how it would fly by...now I understand ist power, and I'd bet a huge amount that you could Play BOHT multiple times in a year for the same audience if you include it in a Routine. And I am pretty sure that this will work with 50:50 as well...

I don't know why I am writing so much, we don't know each other Max, Ian I also only know from a short Chat at MINDS but I still would like you to see the value in what Ian has written down here. The scripting is really excellent and the principle is fantastic!
Really clever bit of business, for me was more than worth picking up.
Fantastic. If you think you will like this and have read the ad copy thoroughly, then you should pull the trigger. You will be happy.

Side note and nothing new - I think it is unfair to "compare" different creator's methods when giving reviews, especially to the extent it was done here. Most regulars are gonna have at least a rough idea of the methods involved here, especially if they are familiar with some of the effects thrown out as comparisons. That sucks for both creators.
[quote]On Jan 11, 2017, RealityRocks wrote:
Hi Max,

this is similar to BOHT from Bryn Reynolds (which admittedly I shouldn't know about but got told about...shame on me, I will definitely by the Safwan Papers sooner or later...probably sooner rather than later) [/quote]

No worries..... just do me a favor and go out and have fun performing it!

Bryn
Is this essentially the same effect as found on Ran Pink's latest DVD involving a 50/50 choice?

If anyone is familiar with both, I'd be interested to know of the similarities and differences, advantages and disadvantages.
[quote]On May 24, 2017, robvh wrote:
Is this essentially the same effect as found on Ran Pink's latest DVD involving a 50/50 choice?

If anyone is familiar with both, I'd be interested to know of the similarities and differences, advantages and disadvantages. [/quote]
It's Andrew Gerards effect and they are very different, but it's difficult to explain why without giving away the secret. Gerards is a great impromptu effect for when you are in the bar or a casual situation. Rowlands is more suited to an audience in a formal setting. Rowlands is also more suited to an experienced and confident performer while Gerards is very easy for any level.
I am a horrible mentalist and a worse human being. I have disgraced the work of Ian Rowland and mentalists everywhere. I hate myself.

Last night I did a corporate "picnic" type deal and I was feeling a bit "off" throughout. No major mishaps or screw-ups and the client was getting their moneys worth. Maybe because it was outside? Maybe because one of the guests was a bit "overly" interested in me and making me a little uncomfortable? Maybe because I had a couple beers (unprofessional, I know). I was ok, but not as "on" as I usually like to think I am.

Anyway, it comes to the end of the night and they want to see "one more". Perfect opportunity for this effect, right? I've done it like a dozen times now, and it's amazing and fun. So I'm going to get into it in a minute, and suddenly, out of nowhere, I start to panic. I irrationally think "I need an out if this goes wrong". I prepare the out, and I will use it if I have to, so help me god. I do the routine, and it is fine, I don't use the out and nobody is the wiser. Nobody but me anyway. Everybody is duly entertained and I go home.

I sleep poorly and wake up in a cloud of self-loathing and shame. I am thinking of hanging up my imp pad and taking up juggling. I feel unclean.

I am hoping this public admission of my misdeed will will prove therapeutic. Perhaps some penance is in order? Practice a thousand center tears or go assault strangers in the street with my old set of sponge bunnies? I dunno man, I am so ashamed of myself.
It´s also absolutely suited for impromptu! Put a coin under the hand of a spectator and start the effect.