(Close Window)
Topic: New Mentalism - Seamus Maguire
For those who love the propless side but are too nervous to miss, Seamus has developed a solid piece which will allow a guaranteed start to your name guess. Without exposing the other methods ( I have read them all - I think), Calibration has a very particular start. This is surefire.
If this goes wrong it's your fault here. I know Fraser and Ross kick some serious b&%t with theirs, I am not there yet. I think Calibration is in between a CT and Ouija.

Star signs, names, anything. This method has been explored but in a very limited context. This is now in the space of something massive and fantastic.

My walkaround performance has mostly only one prop and the rest is up to my suggestion skills. As much as I have followed the propless work out there, I cannot afford to break the spell. Calibration will now move me into a guaranteed start where I can go forward.

Seamus is a clever, ahem, guy.

Coming soon...
Thanks Machina, and yes, I'm a guy!!

This is a pretty exciting system that I know a lot of you will love. But don't be put off by the propless tag, it can be done as a proppy method too. In fact some of its most powerful applications use a few props. And by props I mean paper and pen.
This really has me excited.
More to follow,
Best,
Séa
Sounds nice!

Is it beginner friendly? In the sense that it could be used as a confidence builder that is surefire and does not require erm superb verbal presentation skills that are mandatory for an effect that employs a pr*******ve/Br****ing an***am? Assuming this effect doesn't use one as the method.

Thanks!
It does not use a ***** that you mentioned. It will be sure fire in limited word contexts ( star sign and what what) and site for in your first letter, occasional second letter and last letter.

Corinda's opinion on the magic square applies.

This "is not for the magician who doesn't like rock n roll!" Corinda.

[quote]On Aug 16, 2016, B_man2012 wrote:
Sounds nice!

Is it beginner friendly? In the sense that it could be used as a confidence builder that is surefire and does not require erm superb verbal presentation skills that are mandatory for an effect that employs a pr*******ve/Br****ing an***am? Assuming this effect doesn't use one as the method.

Thanks! [/quote]
[quote]On Aug 16, 2016, Machina wrote:
It does not use a ***** that you mentioned. It will be sure fire in limited word contexts ( star sign and what what) and site for in your first letter, occasional second letter and last letter.

Corinda's opinion on the magic square applies.

[quote]On Aug 16, 2016, B_man2012 wrote:
Sounds nice!

Thanks! [/quote] [/quote]

Thanks for the answers! I think Rock n roll approach is just what mentalism needs these days... Cheers!
Sounds interesting... Is there a release date yet?
No date as yet Adrien, I'm not sure what format this will be released in yet,
Also, just to clarify, there are different versions of this, one of them can be used to divine any word, spectator has in their mind only!! Really!
Best,
Séa
Hello, does it work in English only?
No, it works in any language straight out of the box!
I'm looking forward to this! Riven is a great piece of mentalism. I've been using it and getting great reactions.
This sounds beyond intriguing.
Hey Craig, thanks for the positive feedback on Riven. I use it all the time. It's great to hear you are having success with it :-)
You are going to really like this one :-)
I'm sure I will.
What's the advantage of Calibration over Ouija or Rose? This sounds very similar to both of them and I use both all the time. I am, however, always interested in new ideas with propless methods as I find the thinking behind them very interesting food for thought that can be used for other routines.
Hi magidoc, I don't have those other methods so I can't really answer your question. Sorry! If you have any specific questions though feel free to pm me,
Best,
Séa
Seems super... Well... If you need testers or reviewers, think about me :P

[quote]On Aug 16, 2016, seamagu wrote:
No date as yet Adrien, I'm not sure what format this will be released in yet,
Also, just to clarify, there are different versions of this, one of them can be used to divine any word, spectator has in their mind only!! Really!
Best,
Séa [/quote]
[quote]On Aug 16, 2016, Magidoc wrote:
What's the advantage of Calibration over Ouija or Rose? This sounds very similar to both of them and I use both all the time. I am, however, always interested in new ideas with propless methods as I find the thinking behind them very interesting food for thought that can be used for other routines. [/quote]

In Ouija your participant speaks and there is a v****l sleight. In Calibration you speak and know the exact letter.
I'm looking forward to this release then, Thank you Machina.
Sea has quickly proved to be a creative powerhouse of solid, workable material. Mostly using nothing more than a standard post-it pad. I'm exited hear more about this in due course.
Watched the Atlas Brookings lecture last night. Heard him mention Seamus.
After changing scripting to suit my own performance model and needs, I took this out to play. IT IS WILD! Being able to divine names and words with nothing written down is exhilarating. In my humble opinion, the mind is calculating on the spot and I would think that this will look like a mind reading process, which essentially it is.

Sure you can center tear or you can just do it for real.

Oh, come on!!! That's just mean... I want this!!! :D

[quote]On Aug 22, 2016, Machina wrote:
After changing scripting to suit my own performance model and needs, I took this out to play. IT IS WILD! Being able to divine names and words with nothing written down is exhilarating. In my humble opinion, the mind is calculating on the spot and I would think that this will look like a mind reading process, which essentially it is.

Sure you can center tear or you can just do it for real.

This "is not for the magician who doesn't like rock n roll!" Corinda. [/quote]
Just ask Seamus to put up a preorder button so long. Or email him to get on some kind of mailing list.

I was just lucky enough to chat him when he first mentioned this.

It will take a tiny amount of work, tiny!, But it's all worth it.

Personalize this for you, multiple angles can be played here. Mind reader, psychic, psychological.
Hey everyone, Thanks for the interest, Here and on pm. I'm on holidays at the moment but while I'm away I'll be thinking about formats for releasing this. Please let me know if you have a preference. I'm also sharing this with a few people to get input and routines etc.
Everything Machina says about calibration is true.
Feep free to ask me any questions by pm, I might take a while to respond though as I'm in an Internet black spot here in southern Ireland.
I performed calibration yesterday to reveal a thought of animal, I used a reading as the reveal, explaining certain traits the person exhibited which would lead me to believe they chose a 'cow'. Haha, that was fun...
This was a totally free choice, no forces and totally propless.

Best,

Séa
Im looking forward to getting my hands on this!

Kieran
Did we forget to mention that there's no grey elephant, down the garden path with this?

It is what it's called: calibration. While you are synchronizing ie warming up you are getting the information.

BMF!
This is coming along so nicely now.
Loads of ideas coming out between us and a couple of mentalists I know.

I predict the time is soon.
I'm looking forward to this! ... Any option for pre-order ?
I've asked Seamus to set up a pre order but he's on holiday I think.
Pm him maybe he has something set up.

Performed this today. I was in my shorts. Read: I had nothing else. Less than a minute later I got the name Dave. You have multiple ways of doing this, I prefer verbal and feel it is much stronger. I have used the other versions but I'm looking for one that suits my presentation style snugly.

With the confidence I've built up knowing the exact first and second letter using Calibration, I'm switching between this and Fraser Parker's/ Ross Tayler's work.

There are multiple versions to Calibration, so you can perform for one person and then another in the same group. Or you can do two people at once...

Yes, you read that right.
Hey everyone, Thanks for all the interest via pm and on here. I won't be doing a preorder right now And I am just looking into options for getting a book printed etc.
If you are interested you can drop ke a mail at admin@mindjester.com with calibration in the subject line. I'll keep you updated on how and when this will be released.
It's great to hear about the success folk are having with calibration. Once things settle down a little I hope to perform this over Skype for a handful of respected people within the community. This will help people make an informed choice about whether they want to purchase it or not.
Special thabks to Machina who has been putting a lot of time into Road testing this and also adapting it and making it suit his style. I also hope to get a performance video shot in the next few weeks :-)

Best,

Séa
Seamus just did it on me via Video-Chat, I Love it. It has no re-frame that might not pass skeptics, no truth tellers and liars that won't work with drunk people, it is just really well hidden "Classical" prop-less method with a new twist.
[quote]On Aug 15, 2016, Machina wrote:
My walkaround performance has mostly only one prop and the rest is up to my suggestion skills. [/quote]

Dear Mr. Machina, I'm interested in learning more about your work
OK so after talking Seamus's ear off and him mine, I think This is as good as it gets for now. And it is better than good, it's great!

Seamus has his way way of performing Calibration and me, mine. I've thrashed out every type of version I could think of as well as my buddy KJ Axell.

Name or word divination, pretty much any. The original and the current version both look like what one might imagine is the real thing. Not like an Xmen but more of really distilling a single thought. Once you crack the latest part ( it's pretty easy) you can do it multiple times for the same group. You can have serve it any way you like with impressions and readings, through thought reading.

There are no an@gr@#$%, tears or what have you. You can do it over the phone/ Skype etc. It will take some sharp thinking bout you will never regret it.

Let's not derail Seamus's freaking fantastic work: Calibration. Drop a pm :)

[quote]On Sep 11, 2016, Maxyedid wrote:
My walkaround performance has mostly only one prop and the rest is up to my suggestion skills. [/quote]

Dear Mr. Machina, I'm interested in learning more about your work [/quote]
Quick update:
Seamus has added a few more great pieces to this.
I know some other methods go down a long winding road of moving from one thing to the next just to get to a single letter.
Calibration will have you pretty close to the name in under 45 seconds. No obscure processes, just pure and simple.

Letters of the name or descriptions of the person. Either way = you win.
Thanks Machina for the vote of confidence :-)
There are a few different ways of performing calibration as Machina mentioned. I used it today and gave the spectator a completely free choice of word. Absolutely no restrictions. They wrote nothing down and after less than a minute I was revealing the word.

I'm still looking into options for releasing this. I have a few other things which I had planned on releasing before this but I might move this up the list as there is a lot of interest.

Thanks for the emails from everyone, I'll let you guys know first when the release details have been finalised,

Best,

Séa
Hey everyone, Here's a little teaser for calibration. The book cover was designed by Ian Dunford, man, this guy has a serious eye for style. Hit him up if you are looking for design work to be done.

Calibration will be fairly priced and should suit most budgets.
Best,
Séa
***, file is too big...
Here it is...

[img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/d058a320e4cc67f6b937870c0423a42d/tumblr_oe6ne8JVny1reyipto1_1280.png[/img]
Looks cool!
Thanks Iain :-)

You'll also notice the pupil gets bigger the longer you look at it!!!!
Hey everyone, Just to let you know that calibration is available at the following address:
http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/calibration---align-your-thinking/19521032

If you have any questions feel free to drop me a mail, pm or Facebook message,

Séa
Anyone got it?

(IAIN, you must have read the book... I'd be very interested in your thoughts on this!)
I read an earlier PDF I think, I don't have the physical book...
Should I see you reluctance in commenting on the actual effect/method as a sign that it didn't impress you?
No, but as its out now, and I ended up being involved with a certain element of it, wouldn't seem right to further comment...
Don't want to be accused of hyping because of that involvement if you see what I mean...
Hi Iain,

You have already hyped it man :-)
I mean by doing that fantabulous cover design. Its terrific.

If the content is anywhere up to the quality of the cover design, I'm in :-)

Seriously, that's an amazing cover design (for the third time in this post)
[quote]On Oct 24, 2016, IAIN wrote:
Don't want to be accused of hyping because of that involvement if you see what I mean... [/quote]

Are you ****ting me/us? You might be one of the most outspoken guys here on the Café, but you are one of the most honest from everything that I read. I highly doubt that you will be put into the "cheesy marketer" category by anybody who is sane enough to read through the stuff you post. I prefer the "Dr. House" Approach (being outspoken, using harsh language, but telling the truth) about some Dr. Fluffy who got his education at the Walt Disney academy and speaks only in high appraisal of everything, yet one doesn't know when he is telling the truth and when he is hiding the truth. You definitely fall into the Dr. House category.
Leave Iain alone. He is an asset to the Magic Café. He is now pursuing his passion to create cover designs. If he gets 30 magic clients, and if he didn't like 1 or 2 of the works from a content standpoint, he may feel uncomfortable talking bad about clients that are paying him for his services. It's a business move. It makes sense. Put yourself in Iain's shoes---would you feel comfortable being in the position to review all of your client's works?

Iain, keep doing what you are doing. You are a great voice to the magic café. Please keep providing your voice when possible. But, when you don't feel comfortable sharing it, know that there are people who understand the position you are in that may prevent you from doing so. Thanks!

[quote]On Oct 25, 2016, RealityRocks wrote:
Don't want to be accused of hyping because of that involvement if you see what I mean... [/quote]

Are you ****ting me/us? You might be one of the most outspoken guys here on the Café, but you are one of the most honest from everything that I read. I highly doubt that you will be put into the "cheesy marketer" category by anybody who is sane enough to read through the stuff you post. I prefer the "Dr. House" Approach (being outspoken, using harsh language, but telling the truth) about some Dr. Fluffy who got his education at the Walt Disney academy and speaks only in high appraisal of everything, yet one doesn't know when he is telling the truth and when he is hiding the truth. You definitely fall into the Dr. House category. [/quote]
Just ordered this. Got a whopping 35% off with code NIGEL35. Act now--not sure when that code ends!

Looking forward to reading this!

Seth
Hi Machina,

You write below, "name or word divination, pretty much any". But Seamagu earlier in this thread states, "I used it today and gave the spectator a completely free choice of word. Absolutely no restrictions. They wrote nothing down and after less than a minute I was revealing the word."

So, which one is it? Pretty much any word or ANY word? And, if there are restrictions, it'd be nice to have some specific information on what words would not work. Thanks!

[quote]On Sep 16, 2016, Machina wrote:
OK so after talking Seamus's ear off and him mine, I think This is as good as it gets for now. And it is better than good, it's great!

Seamus has his way way of performing Calibration and me, mine. I've thrashed out every type of version I could think of as well as my buddy KJ Axell.

Name or word divination, pretty much any. The original and the current version both look like what one might imagine is the real thing. Not like an Xmen but more of really distilling a single thought. Once you crack the latest part ( it's pretty easy) you can do it multiple times for the same group. You can have serve it any way you like with impressions and readings, through thought reading.

There are no an@gr@#$%, tears or what have you. You can do it over the phone/ Skype etc. It will take some sharp thinking bout you will never regret it.

Dear Mr. Machina, I'm interested in learning more about your work [/quote] [/quote]
Look forward to your review!

[quote]On Oct 25, 2016, Seth speaks wrote:
Just ordered this. Got a whopping 35% off with code NIGEL35. Act now--not sure when that code ends!

Looking forward to reading this!

Seth [/quote]
One question before I hit buy: is this stronger using pen and paper, or is it stronger without pen and paper? Thanks!
Seamus, did you provide review copies to anyone? I just want to see if there is any activity we can expect on this thread prior to books being shipped. Thanks!
Go to the latest and greatest, there is my review there.

Alex
Which part of your long and totally confusing statement should I answer first? Since none of those parts makes any sense, neither the part where you totally misinterpret my statement, nor the part where you pretend to be my dad and give me advice without even trying to understand what I wanted to say.

And from which part of my statement did you infer, that I want Iain to stop commenting??? I was saying the exact opposite actually.

[quote]On Oct 25, 2016, magicowner wrote:
Leave Iain alone. He is an asset to the Magic Café. He is now pursuing his passion to create cover designs. If he gets 30 magic clients, and if he didn't like 1 or 2 of the works from a content standpoint, he may feel uncomfortable talking bad about clients that are paying him for his services. It's a business move. It makes sense. Put yourself in Iain's shoes---would you feel comfortable being in the position to review all of your client's works?

Iain, keep doing what you are doing. You are a great voice to the magic café. Please keep providing your voice when possible. But, when you don't feel comfortable sharing it, know that there are people who understand the position you are in that may prevent you from doing so. Thanks!

Are you ****ting me/us? You might be one of the most outspoken guys here on the Café, but you are one of the most honest from everything that I read. I highly doubt that you will be put into the "cheesy marketer" category by anybody who is sane enough to read through the stuff you post. I prefer the "Dr. House" Approach (being outspoken, using harsh language, but telling the truth) about some Dr. Fluffy who got his education at the Walt Disney academy and speaks only in high appraisal of everything, yet one doesn't know when he is telling the truth and when he is hiding the truth. You definitely fall into the Dr. House category. [/quote] [/quote]
Which part of your long and totally confusing statement should I answer first? Since none of those parts makes any sense, neither the part where you totally misinterpret my statement, nor the part where you pretend to be my dad and give me advice without even trying to understand what I wanted to say.

And from which part of my statement did you infer, that I want Iain to stop commenting??? I was saying the exact opposite actually.

Are you ****ting me/us? You might be one of the most outspoken guys here on the Café, but you are one of the most honest from everything that I read. I highly doubt that you will be put into the "cheesy marketer" category by anybody who is sane enough to read through the stuff you post. I prefer the "Dr. House" Approach (being outspoken, using harsh language, but telling the truth) about some Dr. Fluffy who got his education at the Walt Disney academy and speaks only in high appraisal of everything, yet one doesn't know when he is telling the truth and when he is hiding the truth. You definitely fall into the Dr. House category. [/quote] [/quote]
I apologize if I misinterpreted your post. Sorry, bud. But I wasn't pretending to be your dad :-)

[quote]On Oct 26, 2016, RealityRocks wrote:

Are you ****ting me/us? You might be one of the most outspoken guys here on the Café, but you are one of the most honest from everything that I read. I highly doubt that you will be put into the "cheesy marketer" category by anybody who is sane enough to read through the stuff you post. I prefer the "Dr. House" Approach (being outspoken, using harsh language, but telling the truth) about some Dr. Fluffy who got his education at the Walt Disney academy and speaks only in high appraisal of everything, yet one doesn't know when he is telling the truth and when he is hiding the truth. You definitely fall into the Dr. House category. [/quote] [/quote] [/quote]
Hi Alex,

Your review is not in the latest and greatest. Can you double-check? If it's there, what's the thread's name?

[quote]On Oct 25, 2016, BMWGuy wrote:
Go to the latest and greatest, there is my review there.

Alex [/quote]
;)

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?forum=218&topic=628396
Hi Machina,

You write below, "name or word divination, pretty much any". But Seamagu earlier in this thread states, "I used it today and gave the spectator a completely free choice of word. Absolutely no restrictions. They wrote nothing down and after less than a minute I was revealing the word."

So, which one is it? Pretty much any word or ANY word? And, if there are restrictions, it'd be nice to have some specific information on what words would not work. Thanks!

[quote]On Sep 16, 2016, Machina wrote:

Dear Mr. Machina, I'm interested in learning more about your work [/quote] [/quote] [/quote]

Well, he said any, I said pretty much any.
I just use it for names as I find it more personal.
The book is one principle and a multitude of effects. When you grasp the first part, of course you will read about tons of other effects that you can do with this.
It's not rocket science, it's like learning a centre tear and then twenty effects that people use it for. What you are getting are multiple explorations of being able to divine any word, any name (within your knowledge capacity)versions of Cluedo, hangman, spirit animals.

If you think there are too many ideas just stop reading after you grasp the first one.

I know what the review says on the latest & greatest - expensive for a magic book? Maybe. Expensive for a tool that will allow you to divine any name in your capacity, spirit animal, cluedo, free choice word, propless or with props, Any Time Anywhere and Impromptu? No. This is a freaking bargain.

Anyhow, if that doesn't work for you, just keep doing what you have always done.
I received this last week, and I'd like to write a short review. Usually I don't feel that I have much to add to these conversations, but in this case, I think further reviews are still needed. I ordered this manuscript based on the reviews on the two Café threads. I got a small discount from Lulu on the black Friday sale.

Am I happy with the purchase/Did I get my money's worth? Absolutely, yes. And I am encouraging others to buy this, because I would like to see how these ideas can further develop. I immediately saw many additional possibilities.

I have followed most of the billetless name/word guess releases. I can't keep up with the Parker/Tayler releases (still haven't read Rose, False Messiah, Synch, or Second Coming) but I've read all the others that I'm aware of, including Atlas' TT.

For me, of the ones I've read, this is the one. I haven't done this yet, so I can't fully vouch for the effectiveness. But, I'm no dummy, and I have a very good sense of what will work in the real world or not. I haven't done this yet, because I want to make a few modifications for my purposes, and commit it to memory first. I think the propless, memory based versions of this effect have the strongest potential, although some of the prop versions seem very good, too.

I've shared my ideas with Seamus, already, by PM. I'd love to be a part of a Facebook group for this one! One of my ideas would require a little extra work, but would make this 100% bulletproof for any word or name. With the current system there is a small chance that you can't get the name. But, in that case, you wouldn't guess "wrong" because you'll know definitively that you are unable to get the name. I propose shifting to a second Calibration in that case, which would bring this to 100%. My second idea would involve combining this process with RedDevil's Invisible Gemini which, at least in my imagination, would be about the cleanest work next to muscle reading.

The memory work here is not hard. There is some work to be done, but... this is not rocket science. This is maybe on par with MOAB, in terms of memory work. You'll need to practice for a few hours, for sure, but this is even easier than say, Thought Chunnel. And the best part of this, in my opinion, is that (as Seamus says in the book) the process comes across as the sort of fake process mentalists would invent in order to make it look like they're doing real mind reading. But in this case, it's the real process -- and that's why I'm so happy with this idea.

The quality of the writing and organization has been called into question in previous posts, and that would be the room for improvement in this small book. Grammar and spelling are good, so that is a plus, but the overall style of the writing is very colloquial and there are a few mistakes here and there in terms of the methodology. But, if you follow along with how the method works, these mistakes are pretty obvious, and the corrections are self-apparent. Even Erdnase made mistakes.

These billetless name guesses are evolving so quickly that I didn't mind the looseness of the writing. This book is not poetry, but it conveys a method, and many potential variations of this method (such as using props, spectator as mind reader, full audience participation, etc). I would say that this is more than a rudimentary exploration of this technique. It is fairly thorough, in my opinion, and more than enough to get anyone started on the use of this technique.

For me, I want to take some time to customize this for my purposes before committing it to memory. But I think I'll have this ready to go within the week!

For the value per dollar, I'd say that this is one of my best propless purchases. And I look forward to learning more from the others that are using this technique, such as Macchina and Alex. Thanks Seamus. Great idea and great price. I do not hesitate to recommend Calibration!

Sincerely,
Jinksy
I did what ProfJinksy suggested and combined this with with Invisible Gemini. I did it for someone the other day. I spent about 90 seconds doing the process maybe, and I told them their patronus/spirit animal. It worked well, in my opinion. I am going to keep exploring the idea. Very interesting developments. I recommend this little book.
Thanks for the reviews guys, another thought is to combine this with a pendulum ;-)