(Close Window)
Topic: New Offering: Lunch for Two
Hi folks.

Continuing on the tradition I started with "Eclipse" and "Rippers' Choice", here's yet another piece from my working repertoire. It's a utility item that I use for all types of various effects that I think many of you will find useful. As an added bonus, in the pdf I describe my full routine for Mark Elsdon's "Tequila Hustler" as an illustrative example of just one of the many ways I utilize this technique. Please note that I DO NOT teach Tequila Hustler in the book, so please don't PM me with requests for that information unless you want to get on my bad side...

So, if you've enjoyed my other works and would like to check it out, I will share it (at my discretion) with those who send me a PM. :)

Take care
This is a great idea! this is really one of those "why didn't I think of that" things. Well done, thanks for sharing.
This sounds great Sudo. I look forward!
Dear Sudo, this time I will not ask for your PDF - honestly. Why? Because I would feel almost guilty. I enjoyed your other PDF a lot and feel that you should sell your ideas. I have read so much bu****it in the last years, stuff I paid for. I am probably the wrong person to tell you that as (and as my mostly German speaking colleagues in mentalism and some selected international friends would confirm) I have given away quite a lot of my own stuff for free, but at least I was a bit selective ;) . But you seem to be too good for this world... :) Jan
Sudo sent me this w/o me even asking for it - isn't that mentalism at its best?!?! :bg:

Seriously, I'm glad he did. A charming simple idea that got me thinking. What else can you ask for?

Thank you, Sudo, for bringing the old spirit to the Café: "magicians helping magicians". Not ranting, not selling, just sharing ideas and putting sparks into each other's minds. Awesome!
Sudo Nimh is giving back in a large way, we have talked off line and it's not my place to say why, but this is the way he wants to do it. Enjoy his free contributions from a seriously top class, working pro. Celebrate his generosity as he is the real deal and does not look for fame or fortune. He is truly Sudo Nimh and I'm proud to call him my friend.
[quote]On Aug 17, 2016, Nicolino wrote:
Sudo sent me this w/o me even asking for it - isn't that mentalism at its best?!?! :bg:

Seriously, I'm glad he did. A charming simple idea that got me thinking. What else can you ask for?

Thank you, Sudo, for bringing the old spirit to the Café: "magicians helping magicians". Not ranting, not selling, just sharing ideas and putting sparks into each other's minds. Awesome! [/quote]

Felix, you and Sudo should found a new club: The too Goods for this World Club. Just kidding, but it was my first thought. I know, sometimes it is better to keep a first thought unspoken... :) Jan
Wow. Good Morning guys.

I'm glad to call you my friends too! Most of you who have responded on this thread already are folks I have had immeasurably pleasant "backroom" chats with.

Jan, too bad buddy - it's in your inbox anyways! Wouldn't matter if you left that first thought unspoken. After all, this is Penny... ;)
Ok. I'm working through the requests for this and have noticed a trend. It seems that because I mention "Tequila Hustler" in my original post, people have missed the part where I explain that this is actually a method for making predictions. I only give my full routine for "Tequila" so folks have a clear example of just one way I use this, and how to properly incorporate this into something much larger.

Despite this, I feel some people are still going to get the issue confused. A few think that what I'm offering is a new method for Tequila Hustler - I'm not. I don't know how to make this any more clearer.

It's a funny world out there. :)
A lot of people don't take the time to read all of a post, just see 'free' and want it...

Then they'll half read the freebie and file it away under "stuff that I got"..
Yeah, exactly IAIN. Timely comment there. :)

Please note: I don't respond to PM's that say "Send me the book." Some people actually write just that, believe it or not.
No, I didn´t, never, nor would I, ever :) But I´ll pay back, also as there is no club planned... ;) Jan
Who says there isn't a club planned? ;)
Even better, I join you... :)
Ok. :)
Based on the last of Sudo's offerings I'm sure this is going to be very clever but I feel pretty much the same way as Jan.

Mark
[quote]On Aug 17, 2016, JanForster wrote:
Dear Sudo, this time I will not ask for your PDF - honestly. Why? Because I would feel almost guilty. I enjoyed your other PDF a lot and feel that you should sell your ideas. I have read so much bu****it in the last years, stuff I paid for. I am probably the wrong person to tell you that as (and as my mostly German speaking colleagues in mentalism and some selected international friends would confirm) I have given away quite a lot of my own stuff for free, but at least I was a bit selective ;) . But you seem to be too good for this world... :) Jan [/quote]

Exactly my thoughts - I'm delighted by Eclipse and will master it and perform the heck out of it - and maybe someday when I evolve I'll be able to share a method or two with you and this community - looking forward to that day! :D
I'll be there, when I get my Lap top back !
Sounds good from the comments, Sudo ! :-)
This looks like a great little utility method for a lot of different presentations. This is by no means limited to being used in combination with Tequila hustler.
You are basically able to predict - with 100% accuracy - any 50:50 choice.
Great stuff.
Thank you very much for this gift, Sudo!
You're very welcome Alexander.

Tip 1: Think "Positive Negative."

Tip 2: Prepare the other side as well. Now you are set for a second prediction. And it doesn't have to be the same thing either. For example, you could also predict the outcome of a coin toss at the end of "Tequila"...

Tip 3: Max Maven's "Predixion" from the colored series. Now you don't have to carry around another deck.

:dancing:
Received Sudo's download & it opens up so many ideas for presentations for other effects.
Thank you Sudo.
Message: Posted by: innercirclewannabe (Aug 17, 2016 04:06PM)
This is very nice. Clever stuff again from Mr. Sudo.

Just like his last offering, very usable and very good.
[quote]On Aug 17, 2016, innercirclewannabe wrote:
This is very nice. Clever stuff again from Mr. Sudo.

Just like his last offering, very usable and very good. [/quote]

True!!!
Thanks again to Sudo. What a good idea! This is a very clever take on a classic, and it's something that should set cognitive gears in motion.
Hi All,

A simple idea with great applicability. A number of ideas have already been offered and, with a little thought on your part, many others are likely to come to mind. Thanks, Sudo, for sharing another slice of your creative talent.

Refards, Steve
Hi,

Just wanted to say I have read through this its a great method for determining a 50/50 outcome, I personally think the O** to L***h is under used in mentalism and believe it can be utilised much more and this is one of those uses , something I have not seen before and so simple! Would be interested to see where others take this principle, I like the idea of a simple coin toss but I believe it could be used much better. I have not read Ian Rowlands 50/50 yet and don't know if the two could complement each other in any way.

Dean
Glad you enjoyed it Dean.

Just for the record though, I wouldn't EVER use this for something so trivial as a coin toss. I suggested that if you also prepared the OTHER SIDE, you could use it within the context of something like Tequila as an afterthought, but not as a main feature. The beauty in using this with that effect is that it cancels out any prior theories the spectators may have of how I'm determining which hand the object is in......

One last thing. In the future, please refrain from naming principles outright since this is publicly searchable.
[quote]On Aug 18, 2016, Sudo Nimh wrote:
Glad you enjoyed it Dean.

Just for the record though, I wouldn't EVER use this for something so trivial as a coin toss. I suggested that if you also prepared the OTHER SIDE, you could use it within the context of something like Tequila as an afterthought, but not as a main feature. The beauty in using this with that effect is that it cancels out any prior theories the spectators may have of how I'm determining which hand the object is in......

One last thing. In the future, please refrain from naming principles outright since this is publicly searchable. [/quote]

My apologises I thought I was reading this in Inner thoughts Can someone edit the post for me as it wont let me now, that fair point about using it stand alone, Heads or Tail seemed to make more sense to me than Left or Right, as its at little ambiguous, your left o my left, that's a different method entirely

Thanks

Dean
Well I have both Eclipse and Lunch for Two

The application for Lunch for Two I have in my own notes, however Sudo takes the idea and fits it into an effect such as TH at the perfect time . Adding an additonal phase to an exisitng effect can often cause confusion or make the performance unduly long, Lunch for Two is not guilty of this.

Like others I am feeling guilty for not having to pay for these ebooks and have often paid for books which were far inferior to these .

Keep up the good work Sudo

Andy
Thanks Andy. ;)

I've been chatting with Mark Chandaue and he mentions that he also came up with the same concept as well. In fact, he even gave it the same name as I did! (The name does rather suggest itself naturally.)

My routine for Tequila has never been given a name. "Tequila With Lunch" it is!

Looks like I'm in good company regardless.
[quote]On Aug 17, 2016, Sudo Nimh wrote:
Yeah, exactly IAIN. Timely comment there. :)

Please note: I don't respond to PM's that say "Send me the book." Some people actually write just that, believe it or not. [/quote]

That's so shallow. Anyway, send me the book.
Don't worry - I'm sending you "the look." :angry:

Check your PM's John. :)
:) John, I am looking forward meeting you at next mindvention :) ... and then tell me a bit about the book...
Sudo I see you removed your Avatar photo. Maybe a Santa Claus one would be more appropriate :lol:
How about this then. Do you think this one makes my ankles look big?
Wow. Ever considered being an ankle model?
[quote]On Aug 18, 2016, Sudo Nimh wrote:
How about this then. Do you think this one makes my ankles look big? [/quote]

Well we all need a hook.
Or a book. :)
Sudo Nimh,thanks for your kindness sharing.
I read the book and like the concept a lot.
A great application for OTL principle!
You're most welcome sychou.
Thanks for lunch, Sudo ! :-)

Whats, for Supper ?

I was going to say, Breakfast ... That, just didn't sound right ! lol
Clue: It's a Japanese dish, typically served under a BLACK MOON. Though this one is served under a RAINBOW.

Actually true. Any astutes?
Something, typically served with a raw egg on top ? :-)

Or, on a stick ? lol
Think "Kurotsuke" plot....
Souper-douper!
[quote]On Aug 19, 2016, Nicolino wrote:
Souper-douper! [/quote]

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're gonna like this one.... ;)
Hi Sudo,

Hope you could check my pm sent a couple days back.
Hi IMAGINACIAN. I apologize, for my tardiness. I've been just swamped with PM's, emails, posting, collaborative projects, material reviews, and script writing for others. In fact, I will probably be sharing only a few more things and then I'm going to disappear for a while. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed - keeping up with all of this is almost like a full-time job. So my apologies - sometimes things get lost in the shuffle.

Check your PM's - I've sent it out to you now.

Take care.
[quote]On Aug 19, 2016, Sudo Nimh wrote:
Hi IMAGINACIAN. I apologize, for my tardiness. I've been just swamped with PM's, emails, posting, collaborative projects, material reviews, and script writing for others. In fact, I will probably be sharing only a few more things and then I'm going to disappear for a while. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed - keeping up with all of this is almost like a full-time job. So my apologies - sometimes things get lost in the shuffle.

Check your PM's - I've sent it out to you now.

Take care. [/quote]

WHAT! What will we do in the meantime? The horror!
Clue: It's a Japanese dish, typically served under a BLACK MOON. Though this one is served under a RAINBOW.

Actually true. Any astutes? [/quote]

Nice one Sudo. HHHMMMM
[quote]On Aug 19, 2016, John C wrote:
WHAT! What will we do in the meantime? The horror! [/quote]

I'm not quite sure how to interpret this John.
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2QrWzsfghA
That's not what I was getting at. Obviously, it's sarcastic. The question is "why?"
[quote]On Aug 19, 2016, John C wrote:
WHAT! What will we do in the meantime? The horror! [/quote]

I'm not quite sure how to interpret this John. [/quote]

It's my way of saying I, for one, would miss you.
Aww. Thanks John. It'll only be for a while. Battery recharging, that's all.

I imagine my odd sense of humor catches people off guard sometimes too. ;)

Did you still want that bathroom book? :lol:
Just received this from Sudo Nimh. I too am actually flabbergasted that he is giving this quality stuff away for free. I could easily imagine a whole book of effects that uses this principle.

I must admit, when I read it I thought 'why didn't I think of that?' It's an ingeniously simple yet effective out for any 50/50. Once again thank you to Sudo Nimh : I certainly see myself using this!
Thanks man! I appreciate the comments.

Judging from the messages lately, it sounds like I should start charging people since that's what they want.... :question:

It's interesting to note that if it's "free" it is often considered to be rubbish. But with a higher the price tag the perceived value is much greater (even if it really is garbage!).

It's a crazy world.
An old adage ive heard says if it's free it's less likely to be exposed and used by those that shouldn't
This is true. It's too bad. But it also happens with high-priced items too.
Sudo,
Thank you so much for sharing this. It's a brilliant idea.
Best wishes,
Peter
Thanks Sudo!

This is a real worker idea. Sudo keeps it simple and clear.
If you have TH,or do any 50/50 effects,this is a very nice idea with the plus you may come up with other ideas just reading it.

Thanks for sharing Sudo!

S
[quote]On Aug 20, 2016, SolidSnake wrote:
Just received this from Sudo Nimh. I too am actually flabbergasted that he is giving this quality stuff away for free. I could easily imagine a whole book of effects that uses this principle. [/quote]
I just went with a chapter rather than whole a book but the possibilities are endless :)

Mark
For anyone who might be interested:

I came up with this following the release of Max Maven's video mind series around 1998. Originally, it was my solution for his "Positive Negative." I later developed the effect further, eliminating the need for a written prediction entirely.

I then started using it regularly for yet another Maven routine - a double-deal routine titled "Predixion", from the coloured series. This allowed me to be able to perform the effect without the necessity of having to carry around a second deck that was only good for one use.

About 2003, I started using the idea for another routine after Deddy Corbuzier marketed his "Free Will" effect. I shared this with Deddy who was kind enough to give me permission to publish this with his blessing. I have since changed over to an "envelope" for this, and went back to using it for "Predixion." It should be noted that while Deddy has given me permission (and others) to publish our take, I believe the rights to "Free Will" are still owned by Paul Richards, which is the main reason I never wrote my idea up for publishing.

When Tequila Hustler was released, it was quite obvious to me that it was a natural fit, and that is almost entirely all I use it for now.Since releasing it here, Mark Chandaue and I have chatted about it as he also independently came up with the same idea for use in the same way. He was also kind enough to send me a copy of his new book "Harpacrown", where his routine is published (thanks Mark!) It has also been brought to my attention by another Café member that another fellow (whose name escapes me this moment) has also published a routine using this idea through lybrary.com, though I have not checked it out and can't confirm that at this time.

For anybody interested, I would be more than happy to share my handling of "Positive Negative." Like the other items I've shared, it has a very straightforward "no-nonsense" approach.
Sudo was kind enough to share Lunch for two with me a while ago. And it is a smart idea. As many pointed out, it is one of those 'why didn't I think of it myself' things. This clever take on OTL can be applied in many ways.

Once again, admire the sharing philosophy of Sudo.

Sudo, can I shamelessly request you for your handling of Positive Negative please?
Sudo,
Your In Box ran out of space.
You sent me yr OTL routine.
Will you please share your Positive Negative also?
Thanking you in advance,
charlie
This idea is one of those ideas that you think to yourself....why I did not think of that?

There are some ideas who you can't find many applications for. This one is limited just by your imagination.

Thank you Sudo for the will to share your thinking and enrich the art.

Regards, Marian
Superb work as always!
Thank you so much!
RH
I am now in an interesting situation, as I've got two method for the same effect, predicting a 1:1 choice.
The first one, that I recently purchased was 50:50 fantasia by Ian Rowland, the second one was Lunch for Two
by Sudo Nimh, which I got for free.
The premise is same for both, you make a prediction, commit it by writing it down, and later reveal, that you know what the participant will choose.
If I had to compare the two method, than I would say 50:50 fantasia is more "pure mentalism", and Lunch fortwo, has more "mental magic" flavour in it.
I don't want to hijack the thread, so back to Lunch for two.
This is an interesting idea on a gimmick, probably most of us have, and used, but not in this way.
A little observation ( which will only make sense if you are the owner of LfT ) :
If you are brave enough, you can do the reveal totally hands off, just need to instruct your participant properly, and they will do the "dirty work" for you unbeknownst to them.
Received Sudo's „Lunch for two.
Great work !
Thank you so much for sharing this.

Best wishes.

Herbert
[quote]On Aug 22, 2016, p_n_g wrote:
I would say 50:50 fantasia is more "pure mentalism", and Lunch fortwo, has more "mental magic" flavour in it.
[/quote]

Interesting. I always thought a written prediction on a business card was just that.

No offense meant, but I don't see how using the OTL for a prediction makes it "more mental magic." That's like saying a SvenPad is more like "mental magic" because it's based on a common gaffed deck, or better yet, a coloring trick found in most kids shows...

Yes, you can "brave" the spectator doing the "dirty work", but why take the risk? It doesn't add anything to the effect.

One last thing. I don't usually use it as a straight-up 50-50 prediction effect. In the example I provided in the pdf, it's usage negates any prior theories the spectator may have had about the method, in a multi-phase routine. Surely that's a far better application, no? Do you see the difference?
I always believed the difference between mental magic and pure mentalism being in the presentation and context. Consider a book test presented by Derren Brown and the same thing being done by a guy with a red nose that had just made a silk change colors --- the context is, imho, the most important difference between the two. Just take a look at what mediums can get away with, mostly because their audience actually believes that what they see is true. But I might be wrong.
I agree.

I think some folks get wrapped up in labels too much. It's a tired old thing. The audience doesn't care about such distinctions as much as some of the people here do. The thing that matters most to them is that they are entertained and made to feel good about themselves. That's all I'll say on the matter - I don't like to get involved in arguments over such minutia.
Indeed. I have a feeling some people like discussing more than performing.
Sudo,

Pm sent.

Please read it.

Frank
A little patience please, Frank.

I'm sorry, but this is the second thread with similar comments from you and nothing more.

Check your PM,s now.
Hello,

I haven't posted in quite some time intentionally but I'm forced to briefly break my retreat to thank and acknowledge Sudo Nimh - what a great name! - for his incredible generosity.

I haven't had a chance to try either of his recent offerings but from what I've read I know I will. Very clever thinking here.

Thanks again,

D
Thanks Dan.

Sorry you had to break your retreat. :)
LOL!!!!

It was worth it. You're a very decent man. And a clever one.
I can't believe how some people are behaving. Sudo is offering some amazing thinking here for free and you are reacting like some entitled brats. Have some patience and be grateful.
Sudo, thanks for this. This an excellent idea and I will put it to good use. :)
[quote]On Aug 22, 2016, Sudo Nimh wrote:
A little patience please, Frank.

I'm sorry, but this is the second thread with similar comments from you and nothing more.

Check your PM,s now. [/quote]

[quote]On Aug 23, 2016, LoveKey1988 wrote:
I can't believe how some people are behaving. Sudo is offering some amazing thinking here for free and you are reacting like some entitled brats. Have some patience and be grateful. [/quote]

Well excuse me...

It's just that my original request was read by Sumo two days ago, without any response.
So I figured he choose to not send me Lunch for two, or was so busy he forgot about my Pm.
All I did was remind him of my request two days after he read it. If that comes across as Impatience, so be it. I won't bother you again, sir.

Frank
Frank, I have a system for how I respond to PMs. I have never not responded to you. All I asked for was just a little patience. It takes time to respond to every PM. They get answered in order of importance. There's no need to get your nose out of joint.
I'm not here to look good. If I want to look good, I will go to my hairdresser.
I just hate being wrongly judged.

My pm ending with a friendly "Regards" wasn't good enough?
In that case: thank you very much, sir. Your gift is much appreciated.

Regards,

Frank
Hi Sudo,

Thanks a lot for sharing this with me. I just finished reading it and I must say... It's Wonderful!

I really like the way you have used this principle.

Thanks again for your generosity.

Best Regards,

Shaukat
I never judged you Frank. I simply asked you to have some patience.

@ shaukat - you're welcome!
[quote]On Aug 23, 2016, Waters. wrote:
Sudo, thanks for this. This an excellent idea and I will put it to good use. :) [/quote]

You're always welcome Sean. :)
You're not the only one posting and reacting in his thread, Sudo...

And yes you did judge. My posts were not good enough and I didn't give you a proper Thank you (which remark was deleted from your post).

But it's okay. Please continue with the people that are important for you.

Good luck with everything.

Regards,

Frank
What are you talking about Frank? Yes, I did remove the "you still didn't even say thanks" comment immediately after I posted it because I felt that while it was a valid point, it wasn't going to help improve the situation.

Now you're accusing me of favoritism?

Jeez. And I still haven't even had my morning coffee yet...

I need a break.
Whatever....
Sudo graciously sent me a copy of Lunch For Two for free!.

I really like this. It is a way to give a little more substance to Tequila Hustler (which is excellent btw) and make it a fuller presentation. Normally, I don't like the OTL principle, but the way Sudo applies it in this effect is different from the standard way and perfectly fits with the presentation.

This gets 5 stars from me.

Thank you Sudo Nihm for sending this.

Tony
You're welcome Tony!
I really enjoyed this! I have been obsessed with the base principle lately and this is a great way to use it! Definitely one of those why didn't I think of that ideas! I still don't understand why Sudo is giving his stuff away...worth paying money for!

Nathan
Hi Sudo, can you please share it with me. Thanks in advance
Thank you Sudo for sharing!

What a great idea! I like the concept a lot!

Keep up the good work!

/Fredrik
Thanks Fredrik. Glad you enjoyed it.
Sudo has generously shared Lunch For Two with me as well.

Great introduction to the concept which uses a well known principle for a great application. I will use it. For those who have it, you can use a graphology theme so the idea of deception won't be raised but it will still provide the benefit.
Receiving Lunch For Two was a real treat. Ten seconds after opening it, I was thinking of all sorts of applications for this new application of an old principle. It is very well integrated into TH, but could easily be applied to other classic plots such as Positive/Negative. I haven't used this yet, but I believe that this is something that I will use very often some day, with or without the TH connection. And that I received it as a gift... well, that's just the icing on the cake.

Thanks, Sudo. This was great thinking!

Best,
Jinksy