(Close Window)
Topic: Unfolded Bill Switch Parlor Situation
What is the best switch to exchange a bill from the spectator to another prepared one. It's for a parlor or stage magic situation. Any spectator gives me a bill, I go to him, pick it up and while returning to the stage I need to exchange that bill for the preferred one. Method should also work for a small group.
Dick Zimmerman bill switch, see Genii Magazine in the 1960's and 1970's. If you subscribe to Genii, you will have access to the old magazines. His offerings are great.
[quote]On Aug 25, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Dick Zimmerman bill switch, see Genii Magazine in the 1960's and 1970's. If you subscribe to Genii, you will have access to the old magazines. His offerings are great. [/quote]

I bought Genii to have access. Unfortunately their search function is not working. Do you know in which Genii between 1960 and 1970?
Several methods come to mind:
Borrow bill; say "thanks" as you put it into your wallet, close and start to put away. After the chuckles/laughs etc, you take it back out (using himber or other switch type wallet of course - with slow and deliberate motion so they believe it's same bill.

Another thing I sometimes do is explain I'm going to increase it to another denomination for them, 10, 20, 50 etc..do the standard $100 bill switch; upon unfolding the bill, act surprised it didn't work; and proceed to the next segment of your effect after the appropriate time delay.

On some occassions I'd do the "crumple it up into a small ball" thing as I say thanks, put in my pocket; wait the beat and then pull it (duplicate) crumpled up bill out of pocket, opening up smoothing it out; waiting for your time delay again with patter etc before proceeding into next segment of effect.

Basic shuttle pass with the bill if you have the spectator fold it up into a small square packet before borrowing it is another approach.

Lots of other ways to make the switch; just finding what works best for you, your style and the performance situation you are in.
[quote]On Sep 4, 2016, serge storms wrote:
Several methods come to mind:
Borrow bill; say "thanks" as you put it into your wallet, close and start to put away. After the chuckles/laughs etc, you take it back out (using himber or other switch type wallet of course - with slow and deliberate motion so they believe it's same bill.

Another thing I sometimes do is explain I'm going to increase it to another denomination for them, 10, 20, 50 etc..do the standard $100 bill switch; upon unfolding the bill, act surprised it didn't work; and proceed to the next segment of your effect after the appropriate time delay.

On some occassions I'd do the "crumple it up into a small ball" thing as I say thanks, put in my pocket; wait the beat and then pull it (duplicate) crumpled up bill out of pocket, opening up smoothing it out; waiting for your time delay again with patter etc before proceeding into next segment of effect.

Basic shuttle pass with the bill if you have the spectator fold it up into a small square packet before borrowing it is another approach.

Lots of other ways to make the switch; just finding what works best for you, your style and the performance situation you are in. [/quote]

Thank you! That was the method I used in the past, put it inside my pocket, make a fun bit of it and in the laugh come back with the exchanged bill. Even that worked quite well there were always spectators who figured it later out, that I switched it there.
The standard bill switch can't be used as folding the prepared bill that much would harm him.
One idea that came into my mind was using this switch box https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl10-Oy2_Sg (and that you don't think I am gonna switch your bill we place it inside your box...) but not very convinced with this gadget method.
It is called, "The Second Switch" by Dick Zimmerman. It on Page 58. Sorry, I do not know the issue volume or number.
[quote]On Sep 5, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:
It is called, "The Second Switch" by Dick Zimmerman. It on Page 58. Sorry, I do not know the issue volume or number. [/quote]

Genii has technical issues and you can't open the archive pages. So will have to wait.
I don't know if there is a best; seems like it would depend on the circumstances.

- If you have Art of Astonishment, there are a few bill switches in there there where you use a wallet (or other such objects) in a clever way.
- Jaxon, on the Café, made a demo of such a switch; you could try contacting him in that regard.
- The demo for Stretch a Buck also shows a similar switch
- If part of other effects with bills, there are ways to "accidentally" put the bill in your own pocket, and then "remember" that it was there bill
👍
[quote]On Sep 17, 2016, John Long wrote:
I don't know if there is a best; seems like it would depend on the circumstances.

- If you have Art of Astonishment, there are a few bill switches in there there where you use a wallet (or other such objects) in a clever way.
- Jaxon, on the Café, made a demo of such a switch; you could try contacting him in that regard.
- The demo for Stretch a Buck also shows a similar switch
- If part of other effects with bills, there are ways to "accidentally" put the bill in your own pocket, and then "remember" that it was there bill [/quote]

Thank you John. So far I used your fourth suggestion (put it accidentally) but that somehow does not work with some spectators. Will try to contact Jaxon, even though I do not use wallets at all, but will give it a try.
Back when I was in my 20s I learned a valuable lesson from a bill switch.

For a trick I wanted to do at the Castle, I needed a casual non-folded switch of a borrowed bill. What I came up with was anything but earth shaking...I had a sharpie in my right outside jacket pocket along with the duplicate bill. The borrowed bill was in my RH.

As I was talking, I went through a casual sequence to get my pen that ran this way...

Opened left coat lapel like my pen was in the inside breast pocket...look to the pocket, don't see pen.

LH drops to pat outside jacket pocket....

...as RH with the bill pats RH jacket pocket and goes inside...

..as LH goes inside it's jacket pocket...

...both hands come out of their pockets close to the same time, with the right leaving the pocket a bit sooner, holding the pen and the dupe bill.

It all happened casually while I talked and as a switch, it played fine. What surprised me was when magicians I knew, like Dean Dill, asked me afterword when I switched the bill. It went by a lot of knowledgeable people. That taught me casual and natural can often trump fancy or complicated, when it comes to moves.

Maybe you can do something like that.
[quote]On Jan 18, 2017, DaveGripenwaldt wrote:
Back when I was in my 20s I learned a valuable lesson from a bill switch.

For a trick I wanted to do at the Castle, I needed a casual non-folded switch of a borrowed bill. What I came up with was anything but earth shaking...I had a sharpie in my right outside jacket pocket along with the duplicate bill. The borrowed bill was in my RH.

As I was talking, I went through a casual sequence to get my pen that ran this way...

Opened left coat lapel like my pen was in the inside breast pocket...look to the pocket, don't see pen.

LH drops to pat outside jacket pocket....

...as RH with the bill pats RH jacket pocket and goes inside...

..as LH goes inside it's jacket pocket...

...both hands come out of their pockets close to the same time, with the right leaving the pocket a bit sooner, holding the pen and the dupe bill.

It all happened casually while I talked and as a switch, it played fine. What surprised me was when magicians I knew, like Dean Dill, asked me afterword when I switched the bill. It went by a lot of knowledgeable people. That taught me casual and natural can often trump fancy or complicated, when it comes to moves.

Maybe you can do something like that. [/quote]

I like it, really. However it does not match my presentation style, where everything is well planed and organized (if so, why would I have a pen organization problem, not knowing where I have put it).
Milesart, I gave you the best on available. If you are not a Genii subscriber then become one and get the information I provided.
[quote]On Jan 19, 2017, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Milesart, I gave you the best on available. If you are not a Genii subscriber then become one and get the information I provided. [/quote]

Bill, I became one and checked it out, this Switch did not work for my handling.
For others that may be looking at this, I'm adding another bill switch came to my mind, that of using a Sanada.
[quote]On Jan 20, 2017, milesart wrote:
[quote]On Jan 19, 2017, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Milesart, I gave you the best on available. If you are not a Genii subscriber then become one and get the information I provided. [/quote]

Bill, I became one and checked it out, this Switch did not work for my handling. [/quote]

Really, what could be more natural then, the person coming on stage with the bill in his hand, you reach to him with a gesture, He takes it as you want to take the bill, you take the bill, and give it right back to him, saying, "Oh no you hang on to the bill". Of course you have to practice it and rehearse it with someone, to get the timing down.

[quote]On Aug 24, 2016, milesart wrote:
What is the best switch to exchange a bill from the spectator to another prepared one. It's for a parlor or stage magic situation. Any spectator gives me a bill, I go to him, pick it up and while returning to the stage I need to exchange that bill for the preferred one. Method should also work for a small group. [/quote]

This answers you original question exactly as asked. This bill switch is the most natural and perfect bill switch I have ever seen in person. Simply brilliant! And you don't have to turn you back to the audience, if you don't want to. The spectator brings you the bill.

I have to say, I don't think you see the how really good this is.

Then I have to ask, what is your handling, why are you leaving out important information, to obtain a good plausible answer that will fit your needs?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is another one you will not like, performed by many famous magicians from the early days of vaudeville and later. You simply, quickly put the bill in your inside jacket pocket and grab the prepared bill. Your not fast enough, then put your prepared bill under a paperclip that is attached to your pocket. This is done as you turn and walk back to the stage position. I can hear what you are thinking already, you don't wear a jacket on your stage presentations. :rotf:
You can make a switch behind a clipboard or writing pad that you're holding. It could be done in a way that everyone would swear that it never left their sight.
Personally, I believe that you may be over thinking it. Worrying about patting your pockets makes no sense to me. Neither does using a special apparatus.
You could try the Gypsy Switch maybe.
I like the Gypsy switch (p178 of Wilsons complete course), but Milesart wants to do a switch w/o anyone thinking anything happened, putting the folded bill under a hank would seem to be hard to motivate (and not create suspicion)

John
I really like Milesart's idea. Also, if you have not tried Juan Pablo's switch, I highly recommend it. I use it for a lot of effects.

It would work with a borrowed bill, but you need to be creative with the cleanup. You don't need a TT, and would switch it as soon as you take the spectator's bill - they see no folding. Then there's plenty of time to fold his/her bill behind your's and ditch it. I'm working on creating a serial number prediction this way. It's been killing laymen, but I need to get the folding super clean before I present it (or maybe sell it) to magicians.
I always just pocket it as a joke, or switch it when searching for a marker ;)
Saw someone years ago do a switch in a standup situation that was interesting.

He had a small rod, maybe 7 inches long, with an alligator clip on the end. He borrowed the bill and clipped onto the alligator clip and went back on stage holding up the rod with bill on the clip...ostensibly to keep the bill in view as a mater of fairness. What actually happened is at one point in heading back to the stage he simply reversed the rod an brought into view a dupe bill in another clip attached to the other end of the rod....and hide the spectator's bill in his hand to be removed later.
There are a million switches. Elliott Bresler explains at least a million or more in his outstanding "Switchcraft", specifically for a bill, there is some excellent information that builds on Jay Sankey's "Paperclipped" with some added thoughts by Christopher Taylor.

If you want to use a device, I have had good luck with Wayne Rogers "Automatic 2-way Prediction Envelope" (I have modified the envelope a bit so it can be prepared years in advance if you want and is a bit quicker with less "mess").

There is a new product by Kelvin Chow called "Quiver" that is always ready to go and very deceptive.

The nice thing about these two devices is that the spectator removes "their" bill which I feel greatly enhances the illusion - they will swear you never touched it - because you didn't!
There is really some good advice here.

Best

Steve