(Close Window)
Topic: Flash Flight by Nicholas Lawrence and Sensor Magic
Http://sensor-magic.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=cd4a32b0-d3d4-4813-b3af-4c12c77e1c41

Quick review for this new effect! This is a great TnR that is visual, easy and lightning fast. A corner is torn off a signed card, the spectator holds the card, you hold the corner - and it visually jumps and restores instantly. The card is completely clean and is left in the spectators hand to keep forever. It looks insane!

The gimmick is easily made in 3-4 minutes and there is nothing complicated about it. It will also last a very long time due to the way it is put together, there isn't much strain on the gimmick. It also creates this visual jump of the corner to the card which will fool so badly!

Routining is clever as well, it's obviously been made to be as simple as possible with little moves, to keep the effect straightforward and effortless. This is a worker, as it only uses one card which is given away at the end, and with control, can be performed 360.

Teaching is great too, slow motion, multiple angles, recaps and a few live performances. One live performance blatantly shows the moves being done in a live envioronment, which is great because you get a feel for when/how to do the moves.

Overall, this is simplicity and deception converged. I love it, and you will to. Available now in the link above.

James
Try this link.

http://sensor-magic.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=666931a3-8c7b-42aa-8254-9473455f0896
I didn't like it very much. It looked like he just flicked the corner up from underneath.
Agreed. You never get such a surgical tear on a playing card.
I don't have this, but I actually like the way it looks. Very visual. I don't think layman is going to notice the "move," especially at the right angle. Nice work, Nicholas~
I thought it said Flesh Light.
What would these guys do without elastic t****d?
I really dig this. While its not the most mind blowing method, I think the visual is fun. As a magician it's obvious what is going on, but to a layperson I could see this killing with the right presentation. I'm giving this a go next week in my restaurant set
Meh....not a fan..good luck with it
Actually as per the rules of the Café you are allowed to "speculate" but not directly say "Hey I own it and this is how it's done".

As for full performances, that might be boring to you, but other companies have increased their sales with showing tricks in full because the guys with money are sick of flashy trailers with no substance. Of course if your business model is not to make money that's not my concern. (Tho' I would suggest you try it once and see if it changes your numbers.)
Message: Posted by: NicholasLawrenceMagic (Sep 11, 2016 06:01PM)
[quote]On Sep 11, 2016, JustJoshinMagic wrote:
I really dig this. While its not the most mind blowing method, I think the visual is fun. As a magician it's obvious what is going on, but to a layperson I could see this killing with the right presentation. I'm giving this a go next week in my restaurant set [/quote]

Happy to hear it Josh!! Your gonna have a blast using this. Any questions feel free to ask like always! Talk soon.
Gimmicks aren't for everyone, BUT everyone should give this a look. It is super devious and fools crowds. I
t looks like real magic in front of your eyes!
This is a real worker for anyone looking to add a quick and reliable TnR to their set.
And for a limited time you can get it at a discounted price!! What a deal.
I've watched it. I think in the real world, this is a good tnr. I have some tnr's that I use, but I find that there are too many 4 piece tears and 4 piece restores. This is quick, to the point, and a great way to get into some other effects. It may not fool magicians, but if you make a living from magic, magicians don't pay your bills....laymen do. Spend the money to learn the correct method. The gimmick will serve you well for a while.
Message: Posted by: NicholasLawrenceMagic (Sep 12, 2016 11:27AM)
Appreciate the feedback Cody, all good points..Glad your enjoying this. Something for everybody, ive had great success with this and pleased to hear other leading professionals have as well. Just hope that others interested support us and purchase Flash Flight & learn the actual method and subtleties involved. Rather than taking off with their own ideas.. Either way that's fine though, I'm just happy to share what I concider my most practical & straight forward tnr to date :)
I got this today I realy like the visuals of the gimmick it was nice seeing this performed on real people the reaction were good.

I haven't had time to make a gimmick up yet but it looks fairly simple you will probably have them around the house.

This is a worker but also good for soacel media I think it ticks a lot of boxes in terms of use.

There not realy any negatives everything was to taught to a great level I enjoyed it.

I' love what Patrick Kim did with it I could see it part of a bigger routine for me in the future

All in all I'm pleased with the purchase

Highly recommend

Kieron johnson
Mmm don't like the look of the tear,perfect straight cut,nah a torn corner does not look like that, not for me, but hey it does look sweet :)
Message: Posted by: NicholasLawrenceMagic (Sep 12, 2016 01:59PM)
[quote]On Sep 12, 2016, Fire Starter wrote:
Mmm don't like the look of the tear,perfect straight cut,nah a torn corner does not look like that, not for me, but hey it does look sweet :) [/quote]

You can tear the card anyway you choose, in My routine I slowly bend the card back & fourth till its weak, which builds the perfect anticapation. In the spectaors mind the card can be torn easily after folding it numerous times and believe me, at that point they just want to see whats next. Everything is covered in the tutorial to ensure you have a worker. I understand & appereciate your views, not for everybody I guess but for the price.. We clearly want to give others options at a fair price so even if its not for you, it just might inspire you & for me that's priceless.
I just watched this and it's great as to be expected from Nicholas!

The teaching is very clear and concise. Nicholas always has a way to make the gimmick making process easy. I really like that this one is as simple as it is to construct.

As for the effect itself, the rip is very convincing. (if you've ever folded a corner back and forth and then torn it... It looks exactly like what is seen in the effect) The retention of vision when the corner flies back over is really spectacular. Your eyes really do follow it all the back to the card.

Also, Nicholas has a very clever method for making the rip sound of the card which I've never seen before. I think this technique could be used for a few other effects that involves ripping. Don't pass by this awesome idea!

I am in a new place and don't have access to all the supplies I used to, but whenever I can get my hands on the materials, I definitely want to make this up. Once I make it up, I'll try to film it!

Great job again Nicholas! Keep them coming!
I watched the explanation video for Flash Flight this afternoon then immediately gathered the materials to make the very clever but easy to construct gimmick. Five minutes later I was in front of the mirror adopting my best magical pose and smiling to myself as I watched that torn corner just pop back on. Admittedly it took me a while to get the timing down but when you nail it it just looks fantastic.
I had an idea of what the gimmick might be from watching the demo but what really impressed me was the handling. So often these type of effects fall short in this area but it's clear that Lawrence has taken the time to create something that looks natural without the need for "funny" moves. I'm not a huge fan of the TnR plot but I'd definitely recommend this. At $10 this is an absolute bargain!
Well done Lawrence ;)
Nice effect, very easy to make gimmick. Good instructions and good price. Hard to complain
THis is pretty awesome. Some real neat moments and its something you can pretty much do whenever with a deck of cards. Might try it out at my next walk around gig. Very simple workable method. Another winner!
[quote]On Sep 11, 2016, Sean Giles wrote:
I didn't like it very much. It looked like he just flicked the corner up from underneath. [/quote]

I think I spoke too soon and take back my earlier comment.
Message: Posted by: NicholasLawrenceMagic (Sep 13, 2016 11:48AM)
[quote]On Sep 12, 2016, MadisonH wrote:
I just watched this and it's great as to be expected from Nicholas!

The teaching is very clear and concise. Nicholas always has a way to make the gimmick making process easy. I really like that this one is as simple as it is to construct.

As for the effect itself, the rip is very convincing. (if you've ever folded a corner back and forth and then torn it... It looks exactly like what is seen in the effect) The retention of vision when the corner flies back over is really spectacular. Your eyes really do follow it all the back to the card.

Also, Nicholas has a very clever method for making the rip sound of the card which I've never seen before. I think this technique could be used for a few other effects that involves ripping. Don't pass by this awesome idea!

I am in a new place and don't have access to all the supplies I used to, but whenever I can get my hands on the materials, I definitely want to make this up. Once I make it up, I'll try to film it!

Great job again Nicholas! Keep them coming! [/quote]

So many great things said about Flash Flight!
Appreciate you sharing your good experience with this so far!! you'll love performing this over and over...and over :)
[quote]On Sep 10, 2016, pegasus wrote:
Agreed. You never get such a surgical tear on a playing card. [/quote]
I must say this looks great! Good job on creating this. I will definitely be getting this.

To the comment saying you never get a perfect tear: you are wrong. Have you ever creased a card? If so you would know you can easily get a perfect tear.

I do a similar effect without the illusion of it floating back. Honestly this brings that to the next level and is definitely surprising. I could see this getting great reactions.
Message: Posted by: NicholasLawrenceMagic (Sep 13, 2016 09:01PM)
Thankyou Morpheis, appreciate the good feedback and glad you see the good in this already. Hope you do get this! you'll love it, I Guarentee it ;)
The thing that is great about this is that you can apply the concept to other things. Patrick Kun put a killer version on his Facebook page. Nicholas outdid himself here! Even though it may look simple, all the little details make this awesome!
Message: Posted by: NicholasLawrenceMagic (Sep 14, 2016 12:20AM)
Want a closer look? Full Studio Performance.

https://youtu.be/CIiJcG8CmcQ
That was SWEET ! Very Nice MAGICAL .... that demo should keep Stucky quiet for a while lol !
Lots of tricks have cards torn with nice straight edges, don't see a problem with that.
[quote]On Sep 13, 2016, Sean Giles wrote:
[quote]On Sep 11, 2016, Sean Giles wrote:
I didn't like it very much. It looked like he just flicked the corner up from underneath. [/quote]

I think I spoke too soon and take back my earlier comment. [/quote]

Phew! What a relief.
Hi All

Man I love this, purely because of the simplicity behind it, and its super visual, took this out to a gig a few days ago and it got great reactions, the teaching is well done on the explanation, Nicholas goes into great detail about the handling etc.

All in All a great little effect, simple and powerfully visual.

Great stuff Nicholas and the Sensor Magic team.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with next.

Recommended.

All the best

R
I just watched the download and really like this! I echo all the other positive reviews here. This is very easy to construct and perform. Simplicity at it's best!

RNK
I loved it and here is why -

creativity - 8/10
practical - 10/10
visual - 9/10
Difficulty level - easy
Gimmick making - Easy can be done in 1-2 mins.

Also I will be testing this soon once I reach back to my place. will post a video review later :0

Cheers !
I almost never post but came out of hiding to give props to Nicholas Lawrence for creating a beautiful, practical, worker. The method is 10 times simpler and better than I expected. Kudos. This is really great.
Really nice. Does what it says on the tin and the handling is well thought out. If you like what you see in the trailer, you can't go wrong. Fast, visual effect with a big wow factor!
Very good effect and easy to make gimmick.
Making the tear sound realistic is a very genius idea from Nicholas.
For 5 bucks you get this effect + free effect (Pin Clip).
Message: Posted by: NicholasLawrenceMagic (Sep 16, 2016 06:52AM)
Appreciate all this amazing feedback! Wouldnt expect it here really but with all these familiar names atleast I can trust their actually professionals honest opinions, which helps with other professionals looking for a new Visual gem that workable at their show!! ;) any questions feel free to ask.
Super visual. Easy to perform. Simple to make. Great instructions. Practical. What more could you ask for a TNR? Gets a thumbs up from me!!!

- Ari
This does look nice and very similar to shin Lim and his trick called Flight.

i don't know who came out first but they are clearly the same trick
my comment really here is that flash flight does seem to be a bit cleaner and more visual than "flight"

flash flight is just that a flash of flight and boom the magic is done. its much more of a visual what the heck moment than the other version.

tempted to get this just to have a quick and simple impromptu effect;

sam
Not even close to shin, flight. Way better
Did not say it was better I said it was similar I also stated that I liked the flash flight better as it was more visual.

but it is pretty much the same trick
[quote]On Sep 27, 2016, Sam Sandler wrote:
This does look nice and very similar to shin Lim and his trick called Flight.

i don't know who came out first but they are clearly the same trick
my comment really here is that flash flight does seem to be a bit cleaner and more visual than "flight"

flash flight is just that a flash of flight and boom the magic is done. its much more of a visual what the heck moment than the other version.

tempted to get this just to have a quick and simple impromptu effect;

sam [/quote]
This came out first.
It is very different than Regeneration and Shin Lim's Flight.
[quote]On Sep 27, 2016, Sam Sandler wrote:
Did not say it was better I said it was similar I also stated that I liked the flash flight better as it was more visual.

but it is pretty much the same trick [/quote]

Not even close to the same trick. shin Lim effect the corner just hangs there. Witch to me any layman would figure it out in a min. This is a torn corner that jumps from your hand back to the card. Yes similar if you want to say a torn corner effect.
How awkward is the "Git riddy" I am not really seeing that live start to finish and can I use the deck prior or after without issue?
[quote]On Sep 28, 2016, Powermagic wrote:
How awkward is the "Git riddy" I am not really seeing that live start to finish and can I use the deck prior or after without issue? [/quote]

The get ready is completely hidden. And very easy and quick.

I would say you could easily use the deck afterward if you remove the gimmick as "remove the jokers"
[quote]On Sep 11, 2016, NicholasLawrenceMagic wrote:
Thanks for the professional advice Stucky! Much appreciated. As for me or your revealing anything.. Let me start here, what is thr sense in your comment? Why constantly hate.. This is a great trick & I stand by it 1oo% who cares what the method is?! If you like it.. Check it out,its a $4.95 download and mark my words well see something similar soon that will be praised!! Its all about who you know and how much BS you can take.. As for a full performce in the trailer, that's a rare & boring trialer in my opinion but that's my companies business isn't it? I know this is a forum site for open opinions but where is the line? Magnets, elastic thread...ect if you havent bought the trick then saging all thatis ok, means this place is a site to reveal magic.. Simple as that, ****** Appear for a reason, because your not supposed to even mention the methods here directley of anywhere for that matter, its just plain disrespectful. I understand though the entire world wasnt raised the same, or value the art of magic the same ;) Im gonna go relax now...gooosfraba!! [/quote]

Wow. Just seeing this. Is there still an $4.95 download option some place?

Dan
Message: Posted by: Infographicmagicreviews (Sep 29, 2016 04:16AM)
Am I the only one here think this is obvious? I showed the trailer to my girlfriend and her friend, they nailed it on first guess. I think it does look good though. Just not for me. I'll have to pass on this.
Got this & love it.

Easy to make & easy to do & super visual.

Looks like what magic should look like_ MAGICAL.

Well done Nicholas.

Mike Donoghue
[quote]On Sep 29, 2016, Infographicmagicreviews wrote:
Am I the only one here think this is obvious? I showed the trailer to my girlfriend and her friend, they nailed it on first guess. I think it does look good though. Just not for me. I'll have to pass on this. [/quote]

Maybe you should not do it right out of the box.
I agre with infographic that depending on the attention and angle it sort of telegraphs. That semi full performance posted at a an angle so odd that only if you are on stilts would a audience view (top down shot would have been more realistic.), it really did not look good from that angle so thus I cant say the claim of 360 is genuine as it should look good from all angles.
It is probably better live when there is more distraction. Magic on video is tough.
It is better live. I have had no problem performing this surrounded. No one yet has ever noticed anything.

Oh and Pegasus, I am not getting any royalties from Nick. 😀

RNK
Message: Posted by: NicholasLawrenceMagic (Sep 29, 2016 04:02PM)
No angle issues.... And havenet heard one conplaint from any of the customers who purchased this. Guess you would have to buy it to understand why its so practical and concidered 360... don't like it, that's fine :)
You cant say that Nicholas. The image you created in your semi full performance would not work surrounded. From the camera angle you hand the card to the spectator but if someone was on your side or behind they would see something
Message: Posted by: NicholasLawrenceMagic (Sep 29, 2016 11:53PM)
[quote]On Sep 29, 2016, Powermagic wrote:
You cant say that Nicholas. The image you created in your semi full performance would not work surrounded. From the camera angle you hand the card to the spectator but if someone was on your side or behind they would see something [/quote]

If performed correctly there is No issues... Others & Myself have performed this completley surrounded & nothing was seen... Remember, waste level...horizontal...Cmon?! Even if you havent bought the trick you should be able to work half the method guys.. Id Name drop a creator and a famous trick known world wide that uses the same principle and claims 360 but that would reveal their work... I guess their just wrong & "cant say that" too.. :) I love the Café!! I really do... Im learning to laugh at this stuff.
I've been reading this thread and while there are many with positive comments, it's too bad some people are professional trolls.

Nicholas, you are very creative and the magic community has really benefited a lot from your work. I hope you don't let a few professional idiots who offer so little to the community to let you down. I have a thought that I will PM to you.

KJ
Just watching the video now. Well thought out and easy enough to "build". OK, it's not a classic of magic but it wasn’t meant to be. It IS a great little quick-hitter; the kind of sudden eye-catching effect I like to do between longer routines. Catches viewers by surprise and usually gets a great reaction. I like to have a number of these effects available when performing. This one looks like it'll fit in just fine!

Thanks Nicholas!

Jim
Message: Posted by: NicholasLawrenceMagic (Sep 30, 2016 09:33AM)
Appreciate that guys, pleased to hear youre enjoying Flash Flight.. Though the "Professional Trolls" need something to say always, finding it hard to believe Troll is an actual job title, I'm becoming more aware & tolerable :)
[quote]On Sep 29, 2016, NicholasLawrenceMagic wrote:

If performed correctly there is No issues... Others & Myself have performed this complete surrounded & nothing was seen. [/quote]
I don't think you are learning anything you did not already know Nicholas. Creators of the past never had the opportunity to know what consumers are thinking. While they will not be able to please everyone, a good manufacturer will not disregard a pattern of thought. They will also understand there are many video downloads out there that don't cut the mustard at any price.

In your studio performance, where you and the card to someone, that if you have a group of people at the sides, that no one would see something? When I see effects on video that always start with part of handling started, like deck already in hand, one has to wonder about practical nature in their particular situation. It may be as you say but how do I know? Funny, how people want others to let claims go unchallenged just "because it is $10". The amount of $10-35 downloads many of you and I have invested in that do no pan out adds up to quite a bit more than $10 and the standards of review should be the same or similar.

Maybe I am wrong, Maybe there is more to what I am seeing then I think and you can have them hold the card in any situation. Maybe Nicholas will chime in if that version of handing out the card to hold while getting ready is the one on one version or the version he uses in all situations.
What is preventing it from being a classic of magic?

[quote]On Sep 30, 2016, J-Mac wrote:
Just watching the video now. Well thought out and easy enough to "build". OK, it's not a classic of magic but it wasn’t meant to be. It IS a great little quick-hitter; the kind of sudden eye-catching effect I like to do between longer routines. Catches viewers by surprise and usually gets a great reaction.
Powermagic, I am assuming you do not have this because if you did you wouldn't have to have your question answered about the get ready. IMO, this is well worth the $10.00 download. And you can do it surrounded even if you plan on handing out the card to spectator to hold before the restoration. If you are an experienced performer and can manage your audience you will have no problems. Hope that helps.

RNK
To me it looked quite visual. It has my interest, for sure. If there are certain materials needed to construct the gimmick, can someone please tell me if the video tells you where to obtain the needed materials?
[quote]On Sep 30, 2016, daffydoug wrote:
To me it looked quite visual. It has my interest, for sure. If there are certain materials needed to construct the gimmick, can someone please tell me if the video tells you where to obtain the needed materials? [/quote]

I forget if the video tells you where to buy what you need or not but you do need something. Most of us have it or know where to get it relatively easy.
[quote]On Sep 30, 2016, Powermagic wrote:
[quote]On Sep 29, 2016, NicholasLawrenceMagic wrote:

If performed correctly there is No issues... Others & Myself have performed this complete surrounded & nothing was seen. [/quote]
I don't think you are learning anything you did not already know Nicholas. Creators of the past never had the opportunity to know what consumers are thinking. While they will not be able to please everyone, a good manufacturer will not disregard a pattern of thought. They will also understand there are many video downloads out there that don't cut the mustard at any price.

In your studio performance, where you and the card to someone, that if you have a group of people at the sides, that no one would see something? When I see effects on video that always start with part of handling started, like deck already in hand, one has to wonder about practical nature in their particular situation. It may be as you say but how do I know? Funny, how people want others to let claims go unchallenged just "because it is $10". The amount of $10-35 downloads many of you and I have invested in that do no pan out adds up to quite a bit more than $10 and the standards of review should be the same or similar.

Maybe I am wrong, Maybe there is more to what I am seeing then I think and you can have them hold the card in any situation. Maybe Nicholas will chime in if that version of handing out the card to hold while getting ready is the one on one version or the version he uses in all situations. [/quote]

I think it is pretty clear from the trailer, generally what is happening here. How well surrounded you could perform this is going to depend upon many things, your own audience management included. I would suggest to you that if you are looking for something that can be done completely surrounded, and without any audience management, then this may not be for you. However, most TNR routines probably wouldn't either.

KJ
Got this as soon as Penguin had it. Played around with it a bit prior to taking it live. Took it to my local pub where everyone knows I do magic, asked if I had anything new, so performed it semi-surrounded about 180. No problems with proper performance awareness! It Killed!!! Never any question other than how the !@#$ and no not all were drinking! Thanks for a keeper and place in my set!
I want it more and more!
Been doing this for one day. Getting great reactions. Much better than I initially thought it would be. I'm going to make up a few more gimmicks. Great trick.
Love love love this! Very easy to perform! other practicing Flash Flight for a couple of weeks (the handling and my script) I took it out to a few gigs and It literally blows minds!! I currently have 6 gimmicks made up in my gig case ready. Definitely recommend this! Amazing job once again Nicholas.
Is this company gone?