(Close Window)
Topic: Thimbles
So does anyone in here do any thimble work? Any recommendations for video or books that go into the details of doing it?

I have a set of thimbles and would like to learn to use them. They seem to be an under appreciated prop.
Absolutely-Tops and Abbotts have some good beginner books. Ganson Close Up and Geoffrey Buckingham's Its Easier Than You Think series (OOP) are good sources. Steve Beam's Boook, The Magic of Joe Mogar is all thimbles and is the David Roth's CoinMagic of Thimbles. If you are a DVD learner-get Jeff McBride's World Class Manipulation series 9set of 3). By the time you learn all on that tape, you will be ready to construct a routine. What kind of thimbles do you have-that will have some impact on what kind of routine you want to do.
David Lewis
John Carney's Secrets book has a routine.
His up close and far away video has a routine.

John Ramsay's got a routine too.
His books are expensive.
How about preferences for the actual thimble? Regular thimbles from a craft store? Fakini thimbles? Others?

I love working with thimbles, although I don't do much professionally with them. Daniel Cros on his video (available from Steven's Magic) has a great presentation (presentation only). When I was a kid, I bought a set of the Burling Hull Thimble Act. Wooden thimbles (8 I think) two sets of thimble holders, a giant wooden thimble and a shot glass. This comes up on ebay every now and then and it's usually about $10 - $20.
Dai Vernon has great a thimble routine. Using several thimbles. I use it all the time. But I can't remember what book I got it from right now.
The Vernon routine is actually Paul Rosini's, and is described in the Dai Vernon Book of Magic, by Lewis Ganson. It is certainly as good a sequence as you could ask for. I have done it both stand-up and close-up for over 30 years. It begins with one thimble jumping from the forefinger of one hand to the forefinger of the other, then the production of a full hand of thimbles, then the transposition of the thimbles from one hand to the other, one at a time, visibly.

Best, PSC
I love the Rosini Routine. I first saw Mike Skinner perform it. I use colored band aids (the sticky part not the pad) to cover my thimbles. They are more visable. The stack also nests better, in your pocket. Also easier to handle.
I've been playing with these off and on, but only beginning.

I've seen Shoot Ogawa do some great mindless thimble stuff but wouldn't know if it is someone else routine or his.

I got a great packet book for $1.00 from Hollywood Magic in their discount box and there were about 3 others when Iast was there.
I really like thimbles but they seem to have fallen out of popularity...especially at the magic shop. But they're great because they utilize pure sleight of hand and some really neat moves. I have Fakini, wooden, and Vernet (plastic) thimble sets and of all the Fakini are my favourite. I was lucky enough to get four Fakini jumbo thimbles that were gathering dust at a local magic shop to go along with my set.

They are still very magical for laymen and fun to be creative with. Jeff McBride has lots of info on the subject. Cheers!

B.
I use wooden thimbles that I have had for years. They seem to be harder to find these days. The routine I use is Berland's. Anyone familiar with it? I like the shot glass production in the middle and the jumbo thimble.

BTW, any opinions on Mogar's book Digital Effects?
There is a very nice thimble routine in the Dai Vernon Book Of Magic. The routine is Paul Rosini's and is very good.

There are also some great moves in the Dai Vernon Tribute to Nate Leipzig.

And the John Ramsey books also have some great thimble routines.

I hope this helps,

Glenn Bishop
http://www.mrhypnotist.org
When I studied magic at Chavez Studio of Magic in La Verne, California with Dale Salwak, I learnt a pretty good thimble routine...but that's long and over with. I never really like using thimbles. The magic course Dale teaches, shows everything you need to know about manipulation.

CdnMagic
Hsinchu, Taiwan
Mike Caveney used to do a complete thimble act.

I marketed a routine through Ken Brooke, called "Pete's Peeper" - try to find one. It is a simple stand up routine where you never turn sideways, you always face front toward the audience.

It is funny and has a great surprise finish.

As soon as I can find a suitable person to make some more we will be selling them again.
Hi every body. Mike Caveney's routine was printed in his wonderful book, MagiComedy. If you are looking to construct a routine, this is a great example. By the way, Joe Porper makes THE best thimbles (and a few special somethings to go with them =) on the planet.
I started with some plastic thimbles that had concentric ridges (for lack of a better term). I wish I could find more of them today. I used the original Berland thimbles (painted red) with great success during my teen years.
The Vernet nesting thimbles present some unique possibilities, but I have yet to use them in a performance. Mine tend to un-nest and talk at times.
Regarding the Fakini thimbles, the silicone material made them a little slick to use, and even with care they cracked and crumbled.
Shimada certainly elevated thimble magic to a fine art.
There is a thimble routine in "Shoot in Hollywood" but it's a Bonus only effect.
If you're really interested in learning the thimble routine by Shoot Ogawa, you can already! He has released it on DVD for quite sometime now but he's only selling them in his lectures. I bought one of the last copies of the DVD in this leg of the tour ;)

I'm so excited. *starts practicing*
Joe Mogar sells good quality normal thimbles in a variety of colors. His dvd has some unique material on it.
Viggo Jahn (1907-2004) from Denmark was a great/expert manipulator with thimbles.
He won FISM: GRAND PRIX: 1949 in Amsterdam.
He was very wellknown in the scandinavian countries.
Kenny Quinn is now doing the late Viggo´s famous act.

Viggo Jahn was an active magician until he was 80 years old.
Viggo is Danish but he lived in the U.S. for many years, long time ago. He was a real professional, with a long career that lasted over 50 years.
Generally speaking, I think thimbles are easier to manipulate then cards or coins. so they are a good place to learn the fundamentals of manipulation - the acting, etc., that goes into a sucessful pass. So it's a shame they are fading in popularity, as they are a great way to learn the fundamentals of manipulatie magic.
Marc
[quote]
On 2008-03-09 07:45, phillys wrote:
If you're really interested in learning the thimble routine by Shoot Ogawa, you can already! He has released it on DVD for quite sometime now but he's only selling them in his lectures. I bought one of the last copies of the DVD in this leg of the tour ;)

I'm so excited. *starts practicing*
[/quote]

He's also selling them on his website http://www.holyshoot.com/
There are some outstanding magicians who work with thimbles. I love to see them work.

However, how much of the under 25 year-old population have any idea what they were?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- I think that has absolutely nothing to do with entertainment value. But it certainly has to upset the "ordinary object" folks.
If you think they don't know what a thimble is, ask young gals if they know how to "darn" socks!!!

Posted: Mar 11, 2008 9:37am
If you don't want to use thimbles, per se, do what I used to do... I rolled a dollar bill around a finger tip. Made some big rolls for changes, and longway for stretching.

Use cane tips, bottle caps... look around and THINK.
White board marker caps make for some nice thimbles....
[quote]
On 2008-03-10 22:34, Bob Sanders wrote:

However, how much of the under 25 year-old population have any idea what they were?

[/quote]

I regularly do thimbles for college students, age 18-21. I ask them if they know what "these things" are. They answer, "THIMBLES".

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
I may be crazy but I really like the routine that comes with the Vernet nesting thimbles. I thought it was quite well worked out.
Rik,
I agree with you about the Vernets. ANd even if you use a different routine, you get a lot of thimbles for your money. The Vernets are also some of the best for back palming, something I've not been able to master with the Fakinis.
Marc
What do you think of the Porper thimbles?
Depends on the routine. They are BRASS NESTS OF TWO and well made.
A couple of years ago, I found a little plastic green thimble and started practicing again. It is one of my favorite openers. It's amazing. One does a complicated coin routine, silk effects and cap-in-the-bottle effects, and they keep asking about that little thimble! That tells ya something...

Doug
See my thimble routine at http://www.petebiro.com "Pete's Peeper".
Somewhere around 40 or so years ago at Jay Marshall's Magic Inc., Geoffrey Buckingham gave me a rather long tutorial on how to make wooden thimbles stage worthy by embedding rhinestones in them. (Somewhere around 42 stomes per thimble.) I made two sets of five and, true to Geoffrey's word, when illuminated with stage lighting they were almost like fire on the finger tips. Really quite beautiful.
I spoke with Shoot Ogawa today and he still has sets of thimbles he'll sell you.
Pete : I just love your "Beer Cap Vanish" too. Need to patent that one!
Fortasse
Are there any routines that have been designed specifically for use with the Porper thimble set?
One resource not yet mentioned is Tarbell. Good stuff in there as well.

If you want to cover a metal thimble in rhinestones, use the "Slip Stop" thimbles. They have no rim, but are covered in rectangular divots. This is an ideal base for Epoxy to hold flat-backed, glass rhinestones. I create a rim of larger, colored stones with a matching very large stone in the top. Once the glue sets, I fill in the remainder of the area with very small white rhinestones. This set up will allow color changes, and the larger stones around the rim create a very nice rim with which to back palm. Glass is better then plastic, for the latter will become scratched and lose it's brilliance. The gent above was right - under theatrical lights or in sunlight, they look like they are on fire.

I too own some Vernet nesting thimbles. Very nicely made, but nearly impossible to separate without them talking.

Wooden thimbles are nice, but are very bulky. Perhaps I will get the thimble drill from Woodcraft and start making my own.
I have always thought of using wooden thimbles and stamping them with my contact info, to be used as calling cards. Though the recipient would have to have pretty good sight...
Go to lybrary.com they have great information on thimble magic.
My latest e-Book on the "Easter Bunny Parade" in The Wizards' Journal #36 shows how I evolved Bob Nelson's "Peter Rabbit Goes to Town" into thimble magic using vinyl finger puppets instead of thimbles, and then segued into a cup and ball routine using large plastic Easter eggs and small plush bunnies and ducks. I was surprised to discover that a thimble move I developed for use with the finger puppets (which cling to your fingers better than thimbles) was nowhere to be found in the thimble literature, so I included it in the e-Book under the name "Pinky Pass." Not too many uses for the pinky finger in a thimble routine, but for finger puppets, it comes in very handy.
[quote]On Mar 22, 2004, davidmagic wrote:
Steve Beam's Boook, The Magic of Joe Mogar is all thimbles[/quote]

[quote]On Mar 9, 2008, jordanl wrote:
Joe Mogar sells good quality normal thimbles in a variety of colors. His dvd has some unique material on it. [/quote]

Couple old quotes from this thread. I'm kind of surprised more people didn't mention Joe and his incredible work with thimbles. I have the book along with his dvd and 3 tubes of his thimbles in various colors as well as a thimble effect he sold as a stand alone effect. He actually went out and had his thimbles made to his own specifications. Some of the moves cannot be done well with the "cheap plastic thimbles" that have a bit of an odd shape. His look like real thimbles (only they are colored plastic). His are "Inexpensive" but not "cheap" and are designed to work with all the moves, switches, vanishes, appearances... that he teaches in the book and on the dvd. They come in a tube of 10 thimbles for only $15 and you can mix and/or match from 7 different vibrant colors. http://joemogar.tripod.com/id7.html

I have found the hand / finger exercises he teaches as a warm up, help my coin magic too (as far as dexterity).