(Close Window)
Topic: Something to do when it's quiet
G’day all, While its all quiet and peaceful at the message board, I was wondering if any one could assist me. I am looking for the earliest date that the chain shackle was advertised. This is the steel or large aluminium loop with the four short chains attached. I am also interested to know all the different names it has been called by different makers and or sellers.

If you have information could you please email me direct at imccoll@sympac.com.au

Thank you

Ian
Chain handcuffs
Lightening escape shackles
Lightening handcuffs
Quick release handcuffs
Quick release chain handcuffs
Out again in again chain handcuffs
Houdini escape shackles
Chain and oval handcuffs

This is the list I have compiled so far, I have not been as lucky tracking down who makes them under what name though.

Cheers,
Shawn

PS I have numerous lists compiled for different escape item if any one is ever interested, it is one of the things I'll be adding to the EARL when I get around to updateing it.
Dear Shawn, many thanks. The big question I am keen to answer is when it was first available, the earliest possible date for an advertisement would be ideal.(plus a copy of that ad.)

Ian
De-Val mentioned and demonstrated the escape on his video. I can not recall (as I have not watched the tape) the name he used but it was linked to Supreme Magic.

Sorry I can not be more help. I'll keep looking around.
You might try the oldies but goodies section, or one of the others like that. These would have been listed in pretty old catalogs and some of the old timers that might know, only log in and check a couple of those forums, and probably would never make it to this one.

Let us know what you come up with though.
The first record I have of this as a dealer item it is called "Electronic Release" by Eddie Joseph and it appears in the Max Andrews Magic catalogue c.1953 with description and illustration. According to the ad. Mr Joseph performed it at a show the year before to great acclaim. I bought the apparatus under the same name from a different London dealer maybe 30 years ago. Why it was called "Electronic Release" I don't know. I've never needed to replace the batteries!!!

"..some of the old timers might know.."

My nurse lets me stay up a bit later if I drink all my hot milk!! :rotf:

Riley
Yes Riley so did I, and I bet we bought it from the same dealer (Harry Stanley) Just around the corner in Brewer Street !!
Mind you I was VERY young at the time !!!
According to Brookey the ER was an adaption from an Inzany Henley spirit bar (This worked on a sim princible but without the rapid in out ability) The oval made it faster and even comical.So by my reckoning that takes it back to prior the fifties.
Time for Horlicks and a blanket bath (Where is that Nurse).
Dear Riley and Kondini, thank you very much, just what I was after. Would either of you have a hardcopy of that information in the form of an advertisment or magazine article.

Thank you

Ian
Dear Ian

Yup. Will do the Ad hard copy for you.

Riley
Dear Riley, thank you very much, I have emailed to all who have assisted with the total of the information so far. thank you.

Ian
"Chain-Link Handcuffs" were first advertised in 1916, along with the words: "Our Own Idea".

Further ads from this same company included statements such as: "Nothing Like It Ever Offered By Anyone", and "Our Exclusive".

The original large "link" was only approx. 2" long.

Eddie Joseph contributed a ROUTINE for the prop, and his routine and the existing prop were sold in the UK as "Electronic Release".
Eddie Joseph did NOT invent this prop.
This is a very old post (16years), I don't think Ian comes on here anymore
I also know them as Electronic release.
I think that a lot of people don't come here anymore - or at least don't post much anymore.
Yes Dave you are right. I still peep now and then but due to the behaviour of certain so called entertainers and their disgusting actions, I couldn't stoop that low to keep in contact via here.
Same here. Of course the Café is a big place and I like other rooms, too. :)
Nice to hear from you both Ken and Riley.

I hope you are both OK?
Good thanks Dave.

Although I have to say it's been many years since I performed Electronic Release.

I never thought I'd be putting a 16 year old thread back on track :)
[quote]On Mar 9, 2020, Ian McColl wrote:
stopped escape artists having availability to many unique products. [/quote]

Truly missed! I wish you were still making your amazing and awesomely created items. So glad I have a set of ADAs and a bunch of other stuff that I won't list here.