(Close Window)
Topic: David Copperfield on Today show
Today David Copperfield went one on one with the curator of the Houdini Museum in Appleton, MI. She made her official statement that she would not compromise EVER and the exhibit exposing Metamorphosis would open to the public. This is such a fall for all magicians as one more secret will be down the drain.

Jon
Way to go guys!!! ....Way to turn this small creature into a big monster rearing its ugly head. You would have thought that after the Fox specials, we would have learned how to deal with things like this. Even Copperfield didn't learn anything.

Oh well, one could have hoped.
Yeah, you're probably right, strategically speaking, Kevin.

*sigh*

However, is it supposed to be our fault that the director of this little museum is the way she is? She is just being a jerk; this has nothing to do with artistic integrity or anything like that. She "started it." The people objecting to the exhibit are not the ones at fault. I hope she chokes on her thirty pieces of silver.

But, you are right that the best policy would have been to ignore it and downplay it as much as possible.

Copperfield and Penn are smart guys. This sort of exposure (the exposure of the sub trunk principle) doesn't hurt them. And the exposure (publicity-wise) doesn't hurt them either. They smelled publicity and they took it.
Great for Penn, Teller and Copperfield.
Bad for magicians who perform this illusion.
I don't believe ignoring problems cures anything. Has it ever? Should we ignore terrorism and let the filth win? I don't think so. Issues such as exposure need to be confronted, or these people will think they have an open highway and things will get worse.

Yes there was much hype created over the masked magician shows but we need to realize the shows were shot before most of the hype got started.
Eddie...I think you may have confused handling incorrectly with ignoring the problem. That is not it at all. However, don't give your enemy a national platform to gain exposure to their cause. Sid Radner did the right thing and pulled out all his memorbilia from the museum. You didn't see him all over the press ranting and raving.
Good point my friend.

The media is always looking for "bad news." It has been a long time since I have seen a kitten removed from a tree by a fire company. Seems Richard Simmons slapping someone makes more news.
Watched the clip on the Today show and all it did was give her more publicity. DC said he had several ways to do the illusion so it doesn't hurt him but others.