(Close Window)
Topic: Sketch by Joao Miranda and Julio Montoro
Sketch by Joao Miranda and Julio Montoro is their newest offering.
Both of them they have released a lot of great magic recently.
It looks like a camera trick and apparently it is very easy to do.

More info:
http://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=58990

Best regards,
Titanas
Love it! This is great magic!
Looks really nice
Message: Posted by: Joao Miranda Magic (Jan 3, 2017 03:03PM)
I am really proud of this creation and I am sure that Julio is as well.

We worked really hard to make a super clean and visual magical effect and I think we nailed it.

There are several important details that we worked out to create a maximum impact and I am sure magicians will understand by just watching the trailer.

Enjoy!
This looks so good.
Nice work Joao!
I don't perform in bars or noisy restaurants. Most of the time I'm in an office environment that might have a hum of a computer but little else.
Is noise going to be a factor with this?
I'm not really keen on snapping my fingers or something similar at the moment of impact to cover the sound.
Sometimes props like this practically sound like a mousetrap being sprung.
I also wonder about the noise, but it does look like real magic!
Message: Posted by: Joao Miranda Magic (Jan 3, 2017 04:19PM)
[quote]On Jan 3, 2017, Magic KL wrote:
I also wonder about the noise, but it does look like real magic! [/quote]

The noise is very, very minimal.

This is not an issue at all even if you perform in absolute slilent.
I have no idea what just happened. Incredible. Good work as usual Joao. :wow:
I love the visual effect of the SKETCH. Can we use other things instead of playing card ?
Message: Posted by: Joao Miranda Magic (Jan 3, 2017 07:16PM)
[quote]On Jan 3, 2017, indomagic wrote:
I love the visual effect of the SKETCH. Can we use other things instead of playing card ? [/quote]

That is a great question.

The answer is no.

At the present time me and my company are overfilled with work so I can't promise anything this soon.
Can't watch murphy's videos, just will not play without freeezing up constantly, everything else plays fine. Wish I could have seen the demo.
[quote]On Jan 3, 2017, music wrote:
Can't watch murphy's videos, just will not play without freeezing up constantly, everything else plays fine. Wish I could have seen the demo. [/quote]

You just visit youtube and search the video you want to see. It's much faster than Murphy's video.
Looks cool
Message: Posted by: Joao Miranda Magic (Jan 3, 2017 07:28PM)
Here is the promo and a full performance: http://www.joaomiranda.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=84
[quote]On Jan 3, 2017, Joćo Miranda Magic wrote:
[quote]On Jan 3, 2017, indomagic wrote:
I love the visual effect of the SKETCH. Can we use other things instead of playing card ? [/quote]

That is a great question.

The answer is no.

At the present time me and my company are overfilled with work so I can't promise anything this soon. [/quote]

Thanks for your prompt reply. In the future I hope you can apply similar method to produce other items.
This looks crazy visual , a drawing popping off from a pad !! Take my cash

Rejoined has gone into my regular performance set , this probably will too , looking forward .
Hello Joao Very nice ! Do you need to buy refills for the pad ?
Thanks,
Jeffrey
Thanks,
Jeffrey
[quote]On Jan 4, 2017, tophatter wrote:
Thanks,
Jeffrey [/quote]

No it's white erase.
Message: Posted by: Joao Miranda Magic (Jan 4, 2017 05:16AM)
[quote]On Jan 4, 2017, tophatter wrote:
Thanks,
Jeffrey [/quote]

The gimmick and the pad work as a dry erase board.

This is great because to enhance the whole illusion the magician can indeed draw on the gimmick and clean it afterwards.

Also me and my team made it possible to release the gimmick without any finger movement AND with all fingers into view.

Everything combined with the concept of drawing on a pad, really makes this a wonderful piece of visual magic.
What is the reset time like? Can it be reset in front of a spectator?
I'm pretty sure I know how this is done and don't see how to clean up without a lot of misdirection, because you obviously cant offer the gimmick or pad for inspection, and the spectators are going to want to do so. Otherwise, this is a nice combination of some fairly common items used by magicians.
This does not look to me like the kind of trick you would do for an audience that would demand to see the pad.
Message: Posted by: Joao Miranda Magic (Jan 4, 2017 08:06AM)
[quote]On Jan 4, 2017, Martin Waring wrote:
What is the reset time like? Can it be reset in front of a spectator? [/quote]

You can“t reset in from the of the spectator of course.

The reset time is instant, if you don“t want to write on the gimmick. If you do write it is a matter of a few seconds only.
Message: Posted by: Joao Miranda Magic (Jan 4, 2017 08:06AM)
[quote]On Jan 4, 2017, Xcath1 wrote:
This does not look to me like the kind of trick you would do for an audience that would demand to see the pad. [/quote]

After having performed this trick so many times now the audience does NOT want to examine the pad, or the card.
I believe you
This does not look to me like the kind of trick you would do for an audience that would demand to see the pad. [/quote]

I have never had any audience Demand anything, and if they did, I would simply say, "No", these are my props and they are very expensive.

Your statement shows your lack of knowledge in performing magic, and experience in front of an audience.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The trick looks good in the demo, but I think if the card was a black and white card backed card, like the drawing it would be better magically. The face could be a regular card, so with some blank back cards, in my opinion, it would be a stronger effect.
Looks a bit like a smaller version of Mark Southworth's Pop Art:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW49Y_XPz00
[quote]On Jan 4, 2017, Bill Hegbli wrote:

I have never had any audience Demand anything, and if they did, I would simply say, "No", these are my props and they are very expensive.

Your statement shows your lack of knowledge in performing magic, and experience in front of an audience.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for adding to conversation Bill. I think we all learned something today.
Is the bicycle style back pre drawn / printed on the pad?
Can the back design be customised to other brands like tally ho / Phoenix etc?
Thanks for the information the board is dry erase ! I agree with bill the card color should match the color of the drawing for a stronger visual effect makes sense.
[quote]On Jan 5, 2017, TheBentos wrote:
Can the back design be customised to other brands like tally ho / Phoenix etc? [/quote]

Try reading page 1
[quote]On Jan 5, 2017, pegasus wrote:
Can the back design be customised to other brands like tally ho / Phoenix etc? [/quote]

Try reading page 1 [/quote]

Already read page 1; I don't post anything without reading a full thread.
So, my question still stands.
I know it's dry erase, but to me it looks as though the basic bicycle style is already 'pre-printed', and then a few lines of dry erase pen are drawn afterward to make it look convincing?
Message: Posted by: Joao Miranda Magic (Jan 5, 2017 02:51AM)
[quote]On Jan 5, 2017, pegasus wrote:

Try reading page 1 [/quote]

Already read page 1; I don't post anything without reading a full thread.
So, my question still stands.
I know it's dry erase, but to me it looks as though the basic bicycle style is already 'pre-printed', and then a few lines of dry erase pen are drawn afterward to make it look convincing? [/quote]

Correct.
[quote]On Jan 4, 2017, David Klass wrote:
Looks a bit like a smaller version of Mark Southworth's Pop Art:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW49Y_XPz00 [/quote]

Don't think you can compare the tricks. From what I see in the trailer, this is just kinda a regular f**p c**d. In the trick you mentioned must go on a lot more inside the pad, because of course the depth of the deck has to hide anywhere. In this trick here you don't have this problem.
Can the gimmick easily be changed to a different card on the face/does it come with a few different reveals?

I disagree that the real card should be an exact match of the drawing, people would then assume the card was just stuck to the pad and they assumed it was a drawing. If, on the other hand, it was a Ghost deck back, that might work. I don't think it matters anyway, you want a visual moment and the color appearing does that.
Message: Posted by: Joao Miranda Magic (Jan 5, 2017 05:35AM)
[quote]On Jan 5, 2017, PatrickGregoire wrote:
Can the gimmick easily be changed to a different card on the face/does it come with a few different reveals?

I disagree that the real card should be an exact match of the drawing, people would then assume the card was just stuck to the pad and they assumed it was a drawing. If, on the other hand, it was a Ghost deck back, that might work. I don't think it matters anyway, you want a visual moment and the color appearing does that. [/quote]

Yes, you can actually place any carat the face of the gimmick, so yes.

There is even an handling with a signed card which I will soon reveal for Sketch owners.
How durable is the gimmick? Will it need to be replaced after repeated use?
Well this certainly has my full attention--being I am a "Sketch" artist as well as magician.

I hear what the guys are saying about the "Sketch" styled back instead of the red back. But I also agree that the red back, offers a more "eye pop candy" to the spec.

I'm curious if it may even be worth having a RED marker as well? Then offer to add some red color in there to make it more 'real'. Following something like, "Sure looks pretty real with the red in there huh?"....then pop the card out.

But I'm not sure if the gimmick/pad requires ONLY black marker? Or can we also use a RED color as well?

Looking forward to getting, SKETCH! :rotf: :bigdance: :bikes: :dancing: :heavymetal:
Good idea Christian, a splash of red would look good for sure.
Take my money! :D
Just pre-order it, looking forward getting it.
Message: Posted by: Joao Miranda Magic (Jan 7, 2017 04:44AM)
[quote]On Jan 5, 2017, itsmagic wrote:
How durable is the gimmick? Will it need to be replaced after repeated use? [/quote]

The gimmick is extremelly durable.

If you take good care of it will last a lifetime.
I think this will be a winner for sure. It still fools me after watching the performance serveral times.
Moreover, the price is 40 dollar and I do not have to buy any refills. I think every close up workers should get one.
Message: Posted by: Joao Miranda Magic (Jan 7, 2017 09:41AM)
[quote]On Jan 7, 2017, wil3923 wrote:
I think this will be a winner for sure. It still fools me after watching the performance serveral times.
Moreover, the price is 40 dollar and I do not have to buy any refills. I think every close up workers should get one. [/quote]

And you won't believe how easy it is to perform!
Has any uk suppliers received this yet?
[quote]On Jan 7, 2017, pegasus wrote:
Has any uk suppliers received this yet? [/quote]

Our delivery is due on Monday, it was only released in the US yesterday.
Roger that Mark. Thanks
Message: Posted by: Joao Miranda Magic (Jan 8, 2017 05:49AM)
In case anyone in Europe has difficulties to find the trick in his country my company has DHL next day delivery service.

More info at joaomiranda.com/store
[quote]On Jan 8, 2017, Joćo Miranda Magic wrote:
In case anyone in Europe has difficulties to find the trick in his country my company has DHL next day delivery service.

More info at joaomiranda.com/store [/quote]

Just ordered!

Can“t wait to receive it.
Just ordered as well ~

Joao your inventions are insanely lovely , looking forward to your future creations !
[quote]On Jan 8, 2017, Legendary Wizard wrote:
Just ordered as well ~

Joao your inventions are insanely lovely , looking forward to your future creations ! [/quote]

I agree.

Joao is probably one of the best creators in magic today.

If a product has his name on it, I simply buy it because I know its good.
[quote]On Jan 7, 2017, Saturn UK wrote:

Our delivery is due on Monday, it was only released in the US yesterday. [/quote]

Any news Mark?
Very visual. Can't wait to hear what actual owners think.
[quote]On Jan 9, 2017, pegasus wrote:
[quote]On Jan 7, 2017, Saturn UK wrote:

Our delivery is due on Monday, it was only released in the US yesterday. [/quote]

Any news Mark? [/quote]

In stock now, there was a problem with water damage at Murphys but we got enough for orders and still have a few left available.
Ok thanks. I'll wait for a few reviews first.
Received my copy today...great service from Saturn magic as usual. The product is very well made and will definitely last a long time if looked after. It is a lovely effect to do and very easy,even though it's easy to do there is a knack to doing what you have to do to make the card appear,so like all tricks practice the move until its second nature. I love these type of fun effects because they appeal to all ages...I will definitely be using this alongside little door...the only thing I would worry about is doing this real close up in the spectators face you want to ensure you are a few steps away from your spectator...all in all this is a fantastic effect that is going to get a lot of use.
If I have to mark this then it gets 4/5 I have taken 1 mark away only due to the fact that the card gimmick I received with mine is a little unaligned but nothing too serious,it's only because I know what I'm like looking at that I notice it,other than that it would have got 5/5...if you purchase this then you won't regret it.
Just ordered via Penguin!
Can the Card be handed out for examination?
[quote]On Jan 10, 2017, JOurneyjoe wrote:
Can the Card be handed out for examination? [/quote]

I believe not without some hanky-panky.
No but switching it is so easy....
In the Demo he hands it out to his partner but in the comments here it is mentioned, that it is not possible.

I like the visual effect of the trick, even though it seems a bit fiddely in the video.
I only wish the gimick would be customisable since as a german I just love my phoenix cards.
Maybe I will get it and try to make my own gimick like I often have to do.
Message: Posted by: Joao Miranda Magic (Jan 10, 2017 12:45PM)
[quote]On Jan 10, 2017, Jan Schattling wrote:
In the Demo he hands it out to his partner but in the comments here it is mentioned, that it is not possible.

I like the visual effect of the trick, even though it seems a bit fiddely in the video.
I only wish the gimick would be customisable since as a german I just love my phoenix cards.
Maybe I will get it and try to make my own gimick like I often have to do. [/quote]

The switch is explained in the instructions, so YES, it is possible.
I got this yesterday, and while it works well and is indeed very visual, I would not perform this in a close-up situation. Great for parlor and stage. Ideal for a children's show. Good trick with certain limitations.
Message: Posted by: Joao Miranda Magic (Jan 12, 2017 10:00AM)
[quote]On Jan 12, 2017, bosque wrote:
I got this yesterday, and while it works well and is indeed very visual, I would not perform this in a close-up situation. Great for parlor and stage. Ideal for a children's show. Good trick with certain limitations. [/quote]

I have performed the trick at table hopping.

You can“t be under their nose in order to perform the trick but I would not say this is good for stage or parlor only.

One meter or two away from the audience and you are in perfect conditions to perform the trick.
I got this yesterday, and while it works well and is indeed very visual, I would not perform this in a close-up situation. Great for parlor and stage. Ideal for a children's show. Good trick with certain limitations. [/quote]

Well that changes everything.
Message: Posted by: Joao Miranda Magic (Jan 12, 2017 11:48AM)
Sketch has been reviewed by wizard product review this week :)
I should reiterate: Sketch is a terrific effect. I would just be careful about getting too close to the specs. I would give myself about ten feet. I will perform this trick; I will simply be careful to perform it under the right conditions. Think Cardiographic.
I should reiterate: Sketch is a terrific effect. I would just be careful about getting too close to the specs. I would give myself about ten feet. I will perform this trick; I will simply be careful to perform it under the right conditions. Think Cardiographic. [/quote]

Interesting, I know in my close up gigs people are closer than 10 feet from me.
How is with the gimmick quality??? WPR said that is quite fragile (if I understood it well)..... you know after buying a couple of sansminds product like Travel and oh snap (they got loose or broke after 2/3 performances) I m became little bit skeptical!!
Message: Posted by: Joao Miranda Magic (Jan 12, 2017 02:04PM)
[quote]On Jan 12, 2017, Fero wrote:
How is with the gimmick quality??? WPR said that is quite fragile (if I understood it well)..... you know after buying a couple of sansminds product like Travel and oh snap (they got loose or broke after 2/3 performances) I m became little bit skeptical!! [/quote]

I can guarantee 100% that the gimmick is NOT fragile.

That statement is totally false.

We tested the gimmick more than 20.000 times and still works like the first time.
I just received Sketch and I am slightly afraid to fold the gimmick, the material seems a little tight, will it break upon opening? other than that..perfect..I'm sure I should rewatch the "secret video"
Message: Posted by: Joao Miranda Magic (Jan 12, 2017 02:49PM)
[quote]On Jan 12, 2017, obsidian52 wrote:
I just received Sketch and I am slightly afraid to fold the gimmick, the material seems a little tight, will it break upon opening? other than that..perfect..I'm sure I should rewatch the "secret video" [/quote]

It will not break trust me :)
I had problems with mine being a bit too lively when I performed the move but I have found that the more times you fold the card the better it becomes because a lot of the tension goes and it finds it's sweet spot eventually....I'm definitely going to be using this for table hopping it is absolutely perfect for that type of audience....I think this is such a visually stunning piece of magic and it will sit well along side little door....my gimmicked sharpie is now useful for 2 effects
Performing magic ten feet away is not close up. Glad I held back on this one. You only receive one gimmick card, no good for walk around. Fragile, will need repairing.
Such a shame. Was hoping for better with this.
Message: Posted by: Joao Miranda Magic (Jan 13, 2017 06:59AM)
[quote]On Jan 13, 2017, pegasus wrote:
Performing magic ten feet away is not close up. Glad I held back on this one. You only receive one gimmick card, no good for walk around. Fragile, will need repairing.
Such a shame. Was hoping for better with this. [/quote]

Will need repair? Have you performed the trick 1000 times now?

Do you think I place something on the market that breaks easily?

I feel offended with such statement.

I am so confident with the durability of the gimmick that I will replace the gimmick for free if any breaks.

This is how confident I am about the product.

Good enough?
I never go with what pegasus says. This is on my wish list next. I trust Joćo Miranda Magic 100%
Does this come in different cards, or will there be additional cards available for strolling situations, etc...? Mine came in the Queen of Hearts, a good card to have, but I would like to get an additional card or two, of different values, if possible?

Robert
Message: Posted by: Joao Miranda Magic (Jan 13, 2017 09:36AM)
[quote]On Jan 13, 2017, Robert Sixx wrote:
Does this come in different cards, or will there be additional cards available for strolling situations, etc...? Mine came in the Queen of Hearts, a good card to have, but I would like to get an additional card or two, of different values, if possible?

Robert [/quote]

It comes with one gimmick.

However you can order additional and different ones at http://www.joaomiranda.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=60&product_id=85
Got mine today, the "special something" broke after practicing just a few times.
And I am NOT hard on my props.
[quote]On Jan 13, 2017, tomdeg wrote:
Got mine today, the "special something" broke after practicing just a few times.
And I am NOT hard on my props. [/quote]

Good thing Joao is sending free replacements!!
[quote]On Jan 12, 2017, Joćo Miranda Magic wrote:
I just received Sketch and I am slightly afraid to fold the gimmick, the material seems a little tight, will it break upon opening? other than that..perfect..I'm sure I should rewatch the "secret video" [/quote]

It will not break trust me :) [/quote]
I thought it wouldn't break.
[quote]On Jan 13, 2017, thehawk wrote:
[quote]On Jan 12, 2017, Joćo Miranda Magic wrote:

It will not break trust me :) [/quote]
I thought it wouldn't break. [/quote]

I have learned through life, never say never.
Joao seems like a guy with integrity and I am sure he or the vendor will take care of you. Mine is in the mail. I do hope it's not fragile as it will wind up on the drawer whether they replace the broken part or not
It's very well made and should last a while with care. With that said this material does break from time time but it's very easy to repair if it does.
[quote]On Jan 13, 2017, MR Effecto wrote:
I never go with what pegasus says. This is on my wish list next. I trust Joćo Miranda Magic 100% [/quote]

Quote from tomdeg [Got mine today, the "special something" broke after practicing just a few times.
And I am NOT hard on my props.]

LMAO. Well it's about time you did start listening to me then, isn't it. :rotf:
Message: Posted by: Joao Miranda Magic (Jan 13, 2017 05:10PM)
I never go with what pegasus says. This is on my wish list next. I trust Joćo Miranda Magic 100% [/quote]

Quote from tomdeg [Got mine today, the "special something" broke after practicing just a few times.

LMAO. Well it's about time you did start listening to me then, isn't it. :rotf: [/quote]

I will replace any gimmick because as I said they are extremelly well made.

More than 1200 units have been sold now and this is the only complaint I have received.

[/quote]

I think that if you can definitely not look at my expensive "normal pad" I also think that if you were to say "no, these are my props and they are very expensive" - you would draw unnecessary heat to them so probably not a good script to go with. Just my thoughts.

____________EDIT___________________

Sorry I should "apologise" you didn't say that you would say the second part - just the short answer "No"... oh my isn't punctuation useful - sorry I overlooked it. :) but still adding the expensive part not a good idea with a normal looking pad. :)
[quote]On Jan 14, 2017, dave_matkin wrote:

[/quote]

I think that if you can definitely not look at my expensive "normal pad" I also think that if you were to say "no, these are my props and they are very expensive" - you would draw unnecessary heat to them so probably not a good script to go with. Just my thoughts.

Sorry I should "apologise" you didn't say that you would say the second part - just the short answer "No"... oh my isn't punctuation useful - sorry I overlooked it. :) but still adding the expensive part not a good idea with a normal looking pad. :) [/quote]

I hate defending myself on these boards but I felt a little attacked by Bill.
To clarify, I perform many effects with unexaminable items. I would never say what Bill recommended as it does not fit my style but have no problem with audience management.
What I meant was due the nature of this prop I would not for example pull it out at dinner for my wife or a friend who would immediately say give me the pad.
I think you know what a I mean
[quote]On Jan 14, 2017, Xcath1 wrote:
[quote]On Jan 14, 2017, dave_matkin wrote:

[/quote]

Sorry I should "apologise" you didn't say that you would say the second part - just the short answer "No"... oh my isn't punctuation useful - sorry I overlooked it. :) but still adding the expensive part not a good idea with a normal looking pad. :) [/quote]

I hate defending myself on these boards but I felt a little attacked by Bill.
To clarify, I perform many effects with unexaminable items. I would never say what Bill recommended as it does not fit my style but have no problem with audience management.
What I meant was due the nature of this prop I would not for example pull it out at dinner for my wife or a friend who would immediately say give me the pad.
I think you know what a I mean [/quote]

I think saying no to someone asking to look at the pad would be fishy - regardless of how much anyone performs. I think you would need to do some audience management like Josh Jay uses in Blind Sight. Which is an awesome bit of bluffary / misdirection / having the out and out balls to "shut them down" without being fishy.
Message: Posted by: Joao Miranda Magic (Jan 14, 2017 12:39PM)
I have performed the trick professionally countless times.

Not one single spectator asked me to examine the pad (or card).
[quote]On Jan 14, 2017, Joćo Miranda Magic wrote:
I have performed the trick professionally countless times.

Not one single spectator asked me to examine the pad (or card). [/quote]

The key word there being "professionally".
When performing as a paid professional you are far less likely to be asked those types of things than when you are performing for your brother in law.
I think it's safe to say that the majority of magic consumers are not paid professionals, so comparing experiences to someone who is might be a case of apples and oranges.

Having said that, I don't think that examination is an issue nearly as often as we think it's going to be.
The problem is that we can never really be sure when it may happen, but the good news is that simply saying "sure, later" and moving on is not the end of the world either.
How can they examine when you're stood ten feet away? A prerequisite in order not to show the workings.
Message: Posted by: Joao Miranda Magic (Jan 14, 2017 01:15PM)
One review more guys, this time from Saturn Magic:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iBDGnHcMfcU

Enjoy!
This effect is as good as it gets for me. It has the comedy of drawing the back of the card for the reveal and then is beyond shocking for the kicker. Someone thought long, hard and deep to make this simple, foolproof, and wildly visual. Instantly into my close up kit after doing it just 4 times for 4 groups and getting 5 star reactions each time form kids to octogenarians. SUGGESTION: Make this up in business card size and do it with a small pad all kept in your wallet. If Miranda made these for sale I'd buy a few instead of making my own. At the end - wallet switch under the wallet for the real business card and give THAT to the spectator. BUY THIS AND SUPPORT THESE GUYS! I just bought two more for spares. Fantastic!
This looks really good !! I was actually working on something similar but with a £5 note instead of a card...and my gimmick that I made didn't have any breakable or snappable parts... Here's a little video of it

https://youtu.be/jSToBSDjQwk

However, I'm still perplexed at how this works!! Looks amazing!!

Sleepy
[quote]On Jan 16, 2017, SleepyMagic wrote:
This looks really good !! I was actually working on something similar but with a £5 note instead of a card...and my gimmick that I made didn't have any breakable or snappable parts... Here's a little video of it

Sleepy [/quote]

I like your idea (video) and it has a different but similar use to Sketch. I can't tell your method from the video but it looks like the back of the bill has the top page repeated on it. Yours has a bill appear from nowhere which is cool and useful. You should get Sketch and see hat their execution is. Then apply parts of it to your bill trick. Vanish a bill, open your wallet. Have it pop into view. New trick!
[quote]On Jan 16, 2017, StarManager wrote:

Sleepy [/quote]

I like your idea (video) and it has a different but similar use to Sketch. I can't tell your method from the video but it looks like the back of the bill has the top page repeated on it. Yours has a bill appear from nowhere which is cool and useful. You should get Sketch and see hat their execution is. Then apply parts of it to your bill trick. Vanish a bill, open your wallet. Have it pop into view. New trick! [/quote]

After watching sketch trailer again, I think it is vaguely similar method but very different...and no, the bill doesn't have anything printed on it, it can be fully examined straight away without Amy switches! I was thinking of combining it with a svenpad routine where the piece of card is a prediction and thenhe prediction jumps.out the page!

Sleepy

Sleepy [/quote]

I like that....looks really good 👍👍👍👍
[quote]On Jan 13, 2017, Joćo Miranda Magic wrote:

LMAO. Well it's about time you did start listening to me then, isn't it. :rotf: [/quote]

I will replace any gimmick because as I said they are extremelly well made.

More than 1200 units have been sold now and this is the only complaint I have received. [/quote]

May I ask, how do I go about getting mine replaced?
I would also like to purchase a couple "back-ups", as I do like the effect.
I'd like to get back ups with different cards. Possible to get cards and not the pad once an owner?
Joao sells replacement cards on his website
[quote]On Jan 19, 2017, Xcath1 wrote:
Joao sells replacement cards on his website [/quote]

Thank you!

15 Euros for one.

For others interested you can choose the card and here's the description and link:

http://www.joaomiranda.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=60&product_id=85

A extra gimmick card for sketch (one unit).

Please choose the card at the time of ordering: King of spades, jack of diamonds, king of clubs or queen of hearts.

If no card is referred we will send a random one.
World Product review, reviewed this effect this week, David Penn like it and will use it.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=633411&forum=289
Reviews on other sites (Penguin) have come in and aren't kind... for people who have this effect, is the method visible and obvious at close or mid-range? That was my fear from the trailer, and seems to be a building consenus along with the transformation not being as instant as it is on the trailer. I'm really interested in this one though, so any additional insight from actual purchasers would be much appreciated.
I have it. It is a piece of eye candy, it needs to be shown at a brisk pace and does not stand close scrutiny and needs the right spot in your set. Your eyes have higher "frame rate" than the camera I think so it is possible some "flipping" is visible but I think it looks pretty good. I have performed a few times (amateur) as an isolated effect and the responses have been so-so. It think one of the biggest issues is that a black and white rendition of the back of the card is not instantly recognizable to people so not everyone knows what it is when you show the drawing.
I perform Cardiographic on stage/parlor and it always gets screams, this has not played that way for me but I am not disappointed with the purchase and YMMV.
Thanks Xcath1 - very fair and honest review! Much obliged.
Product description : This another card revelation but not something you're used to see every day. The nice part here is that it's very very visual ! The idea is simple, you let a spectator select a card, then lost it in the deck. You bring out a pad, and try to draw the card the spectator is thinking of. When you show your drawing, you only drew the back of a card ! But, with a magical pass, the drawing is turning into a real card, the spectator's card ! As I said, it's very visual en very good, let me describe a little bit more why I find this amazing.

Price and where to buy it : This is sold at $39.95 and you can find it in nearly every Murphy's magic « partner » shop !

What you get : It seems that Joao have updraged his packaging, it was already the case with Rejoined, you get a very nice printed box with inside everything in order to perform the effect. You get a link for a Youtube video, quite quick, less than 10 minutes but you understand everything about the effect. I don't find the need of doing a 1h30 DVD when you can simply explain the effect in a small amount of time. In the package, you also get the pad. It's not a simple pad, it has been carefully crafted so you can use it over and over. You also get the gimmick, it's really well made even if I think it will need repair over time but I will go more in depth for that in the cons. Overall, you won't be disappointed with what you receive, the whole thing feels quality, as usual with Joao's releases !

Teaser : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3Fd4be-6AE

The pros and the cons : Here is the core of my review, let's begin with the cons, as I will usually be doing, I prefer to keep the good things for the end.

THE CONS :
- The gimmick is really well made but you will need to take care of it and repair it if needed (after a few hundred performance). It's not difficult at all but - I wished they included a section on how to repair your gimmick.
- You have to be careful about the lights condition as well, gimmick can flash.

THE PROS :
- The gimmick is really well made and works very well, they could have rushed the production but I think this one is handmade so kudos to them.
- The effect is amzingly visual, it's a dream of every child to make their drawing come true, you can do that with Sketch and it really looks like the drawing is morphing into a card.
- Since the pad was custom made, it has some velleda pages so you can write on it with a dry earse marker and erase it very easily ! So you don't have to use a page per performance.
- You can draw on the gimmick, it had so much to the visual side of the trick, they feel you're drawing on the page while you're setting up for the transformation.
- There is aversion taught so you can do this trick with a signed card ! This technique can also be used in order to change the face of the card you want to reveal !
- The release system is brilliantly simple ! All 5 fingers can be seen around the pad when the drawing is morphing, the systčme they thought is one of the simplest and the best I've seen for this kind of product.
- The reset takes only a few seconds and it's very easy to do. You don't need a gimmick in your deck so you can even borrow one if you want.

Overall rating : This is good ! It's a very nice card revelation, very visual. I don't see myself carrying the pad just for this effect but you can use it to reveal other things such as words from a booktest routine, 3.5/4 hearts.

As for the difficulty level, it's very simple, you'll need a force, the activation of the gimmick is easy, I would say 2/5 stars.

Similar products : Pop Art by Mark Southworth is in the same mood, you show a deck printed on a pad, then make it appears. 3D Advertising is a nice trick too.

If you like my reviews, you can check them out here : http://lesavisdalexis.wixsite.com/reviews
Message: Posted by: Joao Miranda Magic (Jan 28, 2017 12:51PM)
Here is one more review from Alakazam:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Te6mN1a8RdQ

Enjoy!

:)
We have Sketch coming back into stock on Monday :)
While the effect can be good in the right setting, the trailer is misleading. it shows the participant cupping his hands and the performer makes the card pop off the sketch pad into their hands.

THIS CANNOT BE DONE WITH A REAL PARTICIPANT.

This sort of misleading advertising is what gives magic sellers a bad name.

Also, I would say that this is not something that should be performed too close-up. I would say that within around ten feet, depending upon the lighting, a participant will see that this is not a drawing on a pad.

I think there might be a better method to accomplish this.

KJ
Just picked up my copy of SKETCH from the Magic Apple in Studio City, CA.

Here's my review:

Upon opening the SKETCH box. I was surprised to see the gimmick without actually watching the instructional vid yet.

The product comes out of the box, READY to go.

The instructional vid is just over 8 min total running time.

They go over the gimmick, how to get the card to 'POP' off the page as they do in the trailer.

They also go over how to switch out the gimmick for examination, and how to 'F---E' the card on to the spec.

I decided to dig up my "The F----s Project" DVD by BBM. And see what works best with this effect, or what flows best for me at least.

The gimmick itself is unique to say the very least....I'm not sure I've seen anything quite like it before. It feels well built at first try.

I had a tiny bit of a tough time trying to figure how the SKETCH drawing pad actually was supposed be held and with how many pages flipped over your palm as you begin to draw on it.

After a few tries I figured out what felt best for me. Once I had a rhythm going I had the card jumping out on command....I must had practiced with it at least 10 or 12 times in a row...and the gimmicked didn't break or falter in anyway.

They recommend not trying to catch the gimmick in mid air, in case you miss and the card hits the floor....however of course I had to try it...and I caught it once out of all the times I tried which was like 10 or 12. So yeah I agree. Probably best to just cup your hands under the pad. Although I would say if you can catch that baby almost overtime mid-air style...GO FOR IT. It looks super awesome with a mid-air catch.

Everything seems to be right in my book. I agree with the folks that say its best to not do this effect all up in someones face. Not at all for close-up. But you can stand a few feet back, in a properly lit setting, not too bright. But imagine a restaurant type of dim lighting. That kind of atmosphere with work smoothly with this effect.

The gimmick kind of makes a slight noise, but really you can just click your tongue to cover the sound. I actually think if your clever enough you can say something like, "...you can actually almost HEAR the moment the card morphed into existence..." as the card POPS off the page.

All in all this effect is absolutely brilliant, well thought out, well built, and well explained.

Definitely worth the $40 price...probably worth more IMO just because of the sheer impact it has on people. Its shocking to laymen to see something so instant like that. And the cover to pull the switch is done at the moment they are trying to contemplate what just happened. It happens as fast as the gimmick doing the work...in one complete seamless motion.

Practice that enough, and you'll see this effect is something special.

My question is when will there be refills on the gimmick itself once it gets worn out or eventually needs to be replaced? I'd say at this point this effect is so darn good I'd pay another $40 just to have a back up. But would also love to use that $40 to just buy a pack of 3 refills if possible?

SKETCH gets a solid 95% from me. Its a great effect, totally creative and fresh, and the name works right into my entire life. Hats off guys, really well done. :dancing: :hamburger: :pepper: :stout: :heavymetal:
While performing this, my main concern is lights from either the left or right that may cause shadows of the special something. It will be going into my next kids show for sure. Also, for a person who does a strolling gig, this makes for a nice effect to do if the event coordinator asks for a couple of effects to show "on stage". The effect happens elevated and people can see the effect from a distance.
Message: Posted by: Joao Miranda Magic (Feb 1, 2017 04:45PM)
[quote]On Feb 1, 2017, Christian Rey wrote:
Just picked up my copy of SKETCH from the Magic Apple in Studio City, CA.

Here's my review:

Upon opening the SKETCH box. I was surprised to see the gimmick without actually watching the instructional vid yet.

The product comes out of the box, READY to go.

The instructional vid is just over 8 min total running time.

They go over the gimmick, how to get the card to 'POP' off the page as they do in the trailer.

They also go over how to switch out the gimmick for examination, and how to 'F---E' the card on to the spec.

I decided to dig up my "The F----s Project" DVD by BBM. And see what works best with this effect, or what flows best for me at least.

The gimmick itself is unique to say the very least....I'm not sure I've seen anything quite like it before. It feels well built at first try.

I had a tiny bit of a tough time trying to figure how the SKETCH drawing pad actually was supposed be held and with how many pages flipped over your palm as you begin to draw on it.

After a few tries I figured out what felt best for me. Once I had a rhythm going I had the card jumping out on command....I must had practiced with it at least 10 or 12 times in a row...and the gimmicked didn't break or falter in anyway.

They recommend not trying to catch the gimmick in mid air, in case you miss and the card hits the floor....however of course I had to try it...and I caught it once out of all the times I tried which was like 10 or 12. So yeah I agree. Probably best to just cup your hands under the pad. Although I would say if you can catch that baby almost overtime mid-air style...GO FOR IT. It looks super awesome with a mid-air catch.

Everything seems to be right in my book. I agree with the folks that say its best to not do this effect all up in someones face. Not at all for close-up. But you can stand a few feet back, in a properly lit setting, not too bright. But imagine a restaurant type of dim lighting. That kind of atmosphere with work smoothly with this effect.

The gimmick kind of makes a slight noise, but really you can just click your tongue to cover the sound. I actually think if your clever enough you can say something like, "...you can actually almost HEAR the moment the card morphed into existence..." as the card POPS off the page.

All in all this effect is absolutely brilliant, well thought out, well built, and well explained.

Definitely worth the $40 price...probably worth more IMO just because of the sheer impact it has on people. Its shocking to laymen to see something so instant like that. And the cover to pull the switch is done at the moment they are trying to contemplate what just happened. It happens as fast as the gimmick doing the work...in one complete seamless motion.

Practice that enough, and you'll see this effect is something special.

My question is when will there be refills on the gimmick itself once it gets worn out or eventually needs to be replaced? I'd say at this point this effect is so darn good I'd pay another $40 just to have a back up. But would also love to use that $40 to just buy a pack of 3 refills if possible?

SKETCH gets a solid 95% from me. Its a great effect, totally creative and fresh, and the name works right into my entire life. Hats off guys, really well done. :dancing: :hamburger: :pepper: :stout: :heavymetal: [/quote]

Hi,

First thank so much for the great review.

Regarding extra cards you can find them at www.joaomiranda.com
[quote]On Feb 1, 2017, Christian Rey wrote:
Just picked up my copy of SKETCH from the Magic Apple in Studio City, CA.[/quote]

what a coincidence. I picked mine up from the magic Apple in Studio City as well. Brent is a great guy!

kj
Sadly only after 4 days the gimmick needs replacing. I have used about 12 times!!
GREAT EFFECT GUYS.!!!!!
Just received this today here in Japan. Opened it up and went to watch the tutorial. Upon trying to set up the gimmick, it broke. In addition the pad seems to be a little large for smaller hands in the handling. I could not get it to do what the tutorial showed. Not sure if I can get the gimmick fixed or not as it is kind of hard here to find certain items. Not happy at all with this and I would say that just looking at it, you would need 7ft or more to perform, definitely is not a table hopping close up as you will probably be called out on the gimmick. Sorry but I can't recommend this, maybe the first run had better production, construction and quality control???
My gimmick is in perfect shape.

I think every magician should learn how to repair their gimmick in case something like this happens. It's not hard at all and could save you time and money.
[quote]On Feb 7, 2017, Alex DLF wrote:

I think every magician should learn how to repair their gimmick in case something like this happens. It's not hard at all and could save you time and money. [/quote]

I agree Alex. But I think the point is when Joao stated this,

"I can guarantee 100% that the gimmick is NOT fragile.

We tested the gimmick more than 20.000 times and still works like the first time. ",

was a little misleading since we now see more than one person having trouble with their gimmick with very limited use. That kind of statement from a creator can really result in some backlash. Better to be up front in the beginning if you plan on creating and selling future effects as the trust factor in what the creator states will begin to diminish. That's why one should never "guarantee 100%" on a product that is made with certain materials that can obviously break.

I have found when a creator comes and makes statements like "guarantee 100", I have found it better to wait a while for some reviews. Hence, broken gimmicks right out of the box. I do love the visuals of this effect but for $40.00 it at least should not break right out of the box.

RNK
I'm wondering.... just wondering.... if those that had their gimmicks break quickly were opened properly.
There are TWO ways that the gimmick can open.
The right way...which there is no resistance and the wrong way...where you feel it gives you some tension.

I found myself experimenting with it and was tempted to continue to open the side where it was giving me some resistance.
I immediately STOPPED and prepared the gimmick from the OTHER side. (As demonstrated in the tutorial instructional video)
It opened up just fine.

I believe the creators had very good intentions in mind which truly was for them to create an effect where the concentration was on the presentation.

My package seems to be complete thus far and I look forward to performing with it.
It would be nice though to have a spare gimmick just as a back up.
Seems like a great effect and lots of fun for the spectators.
[quote]On Feb 7, 2017, RNK wrote:
[quote]On Feb 7, 2017, Alex DLF wrote:

I think every magician should learn how to repair their gimmick in case something like this happens. It's not hard at all and could save you time and money. [/quote]

I agree Alex. But I think the point is when Joao stated this,

"I can guarantee 100% that the gimmick is NOT fragile.

We tested the gimmick more than 20.000 times and still works like the first time. ",

was a little misleading since we now see more than one person having trouble with their gimmick with very limited use. That kind of statement from a creator can really result in some backlash. Better to be up front in the beginning if you plan on creating and selling future effects as the trust factor in what the creator states will begin to diminish. That's why one should never "guarantee 100%" on a product that is made with certain materials that can obviously break.

I have found when a creator comes and makes statements like "guarantee 100", I have found it better to wait a while for some reviews. Hence, broken gimmicks right out of the box. I do love the visuals of this effect but for $40.00 it at least should not break right out of the box.

RNK [/quote]

I will attempt to repair it, if I can find more of a certain something. Am here in Japan for 3 months and since I don't read kanji, katakana or hirakana will have to try and find the something, easier said than done!! Secondly I followed the tutorial that was given on opening the gimmick. There was very little resistance but when I got it about 3/4 way open that is when both sides broke. I do not see any other way of opening it other than what was shown on the video. Granted I had to wait for this since it was backordered for some time so that is why I conjectured on whether there was a hurry to get more made to meet the demand and may have caused quality issues.
[quote]On Feb 8, 2017, fcchief1 wrote:

I will attempt to repair it, if I can find more of a certain something. [/quote]

Me too. This effect is truly visual and a winner when everything is set up right.

Also, A friend of mine said you really need to work those gimmicks SLOWLY at first.
Remember they were sitting in a box and sitting in a warehouse for a little while prior to it reaching your doorstep.

I really do like this effect.
Having a reliable gimmick makes this thing a winner.

[quote]On Feb 7, 2017, RNK wrote:
Hence, broken gimmicks right out of the box. I do love the visuals of this effect but for $40.00 it at least should not break right out of the box.

RNK [/quote]

Agreed.

I Pmed the creator about my situation. He did say earlier that he would replace the gimmick if any breaks.
[quote]On Jan 13, 2017, Joao Miranda Magic wrote:

I am so confident with the durability of the gimmick that I will replace the gimmick for free if any breaks.

This is how confident I am about the product.

Good enough? [/quote]

Sounds good enough for me.
I fixed mine and it's working fine. But maybe th inventor needs to be honest instead of lying about their product. Even the company I purchased from said in their video review 'l 'there nothing to break" !

So sad when profit come before truth.
Aaaaarrrrggggghhhhhh!!!!

I got my Sketch about 3 weeks ago, practiced with it, got on great with it and have used it a lot, well over 100 times. I mainly do table hopping with some parlour. I have found that table hopping takes waaaayyyyy to much management... FOR ME!! That said parlour or as an "encore" for all tables in restaurant at end of the night its perfect.

The point of me writing though is more to do with the usual question you get on threads about being able to give out for inspection etc etc. Then you get the usual answer audience management etc etc. Well last night I saw 100% why we always have this argument all the time. don't get me wrong I know what can go wrong and where people get themselves into trouble with this scenario, but last night just emphasized the problem all the more.

Like I said I have performed this trick over 100 times. In that time I have NEVER been asked to give a spec the pad...NEVER!!!! The note pad sits on the table, I open it up to do the sketch, do the drawing (with some patter) show them the back of card and reveal.... Voila, good response and move one.

Last night I was out with the other half and a mate and his wife at local restaurant. My mate has seen me do this trick a few times and hated that he couldn't figure it out. A magician did some table hopping and then did a short parlour show. Midway through it, out came sketch. 1/2 way through the guys presentation my mate had sussed almost exactly what was going on. Why? Dead simple. The magician made the classic and simple mistake of showing how "normal the pad was" even emphasizing the point by literally saying "look, this is just a normal notepad" whilst thumbing through the pages. on top of that his handling of the notepad screamed, that aint a normal notepad. The guilt transmitted by his handling and the look on his face was unbelievable. The whole thing just screamed, and I literally mean SCREAMED, that's a trick notepad. By the end of it, my mate knew but didn't say anything about it publicly, but a couple of people around us wanted to see the notepad. One guy even said "its a trick notepad".

The guy earned that I was a magician when he visited our table during the night and so afterwards had a chat with me. I told him that I had Sketch and how much I liked it. He told me he didn't like it and was going to dump it from his act because he always got called on it. Long and short of it, I told him why, and in a backroom of the restaurant showed him how I presented it and showed him WHY he was getting called on it. His problem wasnt even as hard as "audience management" just a simple case of guilt and the need to prove "nothing to see here".

Then when I looked through this thread I noticed on page 1 a link to Joao Miranda's own site. On looking there I saw a video that shows exactly what I witnessed last night.... if you watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UqPtlsa-nE

You will see exactly what I mean.....aaarrrgggghhh Its a note pad, nothing more, nothing less, just open the bloody thing, draw your prediction and move on. Why make a big deal of a sketch pad???

Maybe it will help some fellow beginners to see why you might be getting too much heat on gimmicks etc.