(Close Window)
Topic: Cyber security question.
I know relatively little about computers and not so much about the security of them so this might be obvious I am not certain.

When I go to a web page it asks me for a password. Then something on Google Chrome wants to know if it should remember that password? If I say yes at that point isn't that basically the same as having no password at all? Especially from a mobile device?
It means anyone using your device will have access to that page.

A lot of people are not aware that the list of remembered passwords and id's are kept on the device itself (password vault); which in most cases (default) in plain text (readable).
It, the browser is offering to save your information on that device, saved in your phone. You'll need to remember it when not using your phone to get on that site.
This may assist you as well...

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95606?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en
I never have them remembered. I have to log in every time. Which I think is good. I was curious.
Unfortunately, that is not an option for this site unless you clear your cache each time.
I am more talking banking and such.
OK, just make sure that your email password has the highest security password; if you have it tied to banking/credit cards.

No point in making a complicated password for banking if you keep your email password simple.

If they crack your email password all they will have to do is click the forgot password option on the banking site and they are in like Flynn.
Exactly
Yes, the email is the dangerous one.

As a corollary, remember to have a good password on your phone. If you lose the phone and it's not password protected, then folks can have access to your email, since most do not set their email to require a password each time.

I was in this situation a month ago and really panicked. Fortunately, I found my phone before any damage was done and learned my lesson about having a password on my phone. I had gotten lazy about having to enter it each time to open the phone, so I got rid of it. I'll never do that again.
I guess, I mean I don't know, that you are in trouble if somebody steals your laptop?
[quote]On Feb 6, 2017, tommy wrote:
I guess, I mean I don't know, that you are in trouble if somebody steals your laptop? [/quote]

Yes, if you have the remember password feature enabled. Or accesses it while you are not aware. How many of you perform a shutdown and require a password to log on? How about screensaver passwords? If they can gain access to your account information without you being aware it allows them more time to do more damage. If the laptop is simply stolen, you will notify your bank and do damage control.

@Landmark, that is why I don't own a smart phone. I have a very cheap Nokia. Other than calling and texting the only added feature it comes with is a flashlight.

A lot of people will use free hot spots without any precautions too. Not realizing that someone is using a packet sniffer (such as Wireshark) to collect account information.

HTTPS Everywhere is a good deterrent to use and is free.
Thank you kindly.

I recall reading a Readers Digest short story in 1971 about a professional safe cracker and it said the safe crackers of the future will be computer crackers. We never even had calculators then. I remember the first calculator I saw a Sinclair. It was in a Tandy shop window right next door to the bookies and I thought wow! I am going to beat the bookies with that!
[quote]On Feb 6, 2017, Salguod Nairb wrote:
[quote]On Feb 6, 2017, tommy wrote:
I guess, I mean I don't know, that you are in trouble if somebody steals your laptop? [/quote]

Yes, if you have the remember password feature enabled. Or accesses it while you are not aware. How many of you perform a shutdown and require a password to log on? How about screensaver passwords? If they can gain access to your account information without you being aware it allows them more time to do more damage. If the laptop is simply stolen, you will notify your bank and do damage control.

@Landmark, that is why I don't own a smart phone. I have a very cheap Nokia. Other than calling and texting the only added feature it comes with is a flashlight.

A lot of people will use free hot spots without any precautions too. Not realizing that someone is using a packet sniffer (such as Wireshark) to collect account information.

HTTPS Everywhere is a good deterrent to use and is free. [/quote]

My screen is fingerprint locked.

When shut down it needs a password to open.