(Close Window)
Topic: Derren Brown NYC Debut This Spring
Derren Brown NYC debut.
http://michellecarr.cmail19.com/t/r-l-ykkyuya-qtuuylydj-y/

So glad to not have to travel across the pond to finally see him live.
Yep. I'll be trying to see him. Been waiting for a long time for him to do a show this side.
Oh boy, oh boy!
Exciting indeed. I can't wait!
I'm always interested what a normal US audience of laymen would make of Derren
It should be interesting to see what kind of audiences they will draw in.
Yes, when he first announced his 'Underground' shows back in October, which are coming up this March here in London (which I'm going to, very happily), he said they were a sort of warm-up for the American shows. He would be putting together selected pieces from previous shows, in a sort of 'best of' show.
I really can't wait to see it.

Best,
Francis
I, too, am very curious how his style will play here. Depending what they chose to include, I could see it either being received very well, or not. We shall see.

I know I will be trying to see it. I've wanted to see him live for years.
It'll be interesting considering the current political climate, too...
In what way Iain?
...actually, probably not within the house rules if I did say was I was about to...

i hope he does very well...he's always working extremely hard and creatively, not liked everything he's done and said, but hey, even Bowie did Tin Machine...
No doubt he will do very well. Can't wait to see the show!
Can't see why his live show shouldn't go down a storm.

Truly a talented performer on the stage.
He's tried to break into the American market before in a minor way. His sense of humor and previously harsh attitudes towards Christianity were a hindrance, I think. I'm thinking he'll do well in this scenario, though, being off Broadway and all.
Looking forward to seeing Derren in the US! I expect he will do very well here.
Looking forward to his show. Will post something when I've seen it.
Derren said on his facebook page he did the first show already?? Did anyone went to see him?
I just purchased my tickets using the flex plan option. Only need three out of the four, but it was cost effective in comparison with getting single tickets. Looking forward to the show.
The show he said he did on facebook was his UK show "Underground". He's doing that before coming over to NYC.
Got my tickets, too.
Has it been confirmed that this show will be a combination of his previous shows, or should we expect new material?
Also got a ticket, I'm sure it's going to be great.

[quote]On Mar 14, 2017, SilasJude wrote:
Has it been confirmed that this show will be a combination of his previous shows, or should we expect new material? [/quote]

I was recently rewatching his Penguin Lecture, and he was already planning a NY show for 2017 back then, consisting of the best-of previous shows. Also, in his "promo" video for his current run in London, he mentions it's a smaller, intimate show (I estimate ~ 200 seats from the theater layout, vs 1500 when I saw him doing Miracle in London), and will consist of his previous material. He's doing a test run for the NY show, so no spoilers please! :D
I watched it on opening night here in London. ANd yeah it is a best of show... I couldn't even spoil the show if I wanted to. As apparently no two shows have been the same anyway :) Constantly changing it putting things in, taking things out, apparently. Trying to find the best combination. What I found most interesting was the size, yes, 200 seats. Im assuming that's the size of the theater he will be playing in the US, so he's getting used to it. So I recommend everyone to go and see it! Seeing him live is so much better than the televised live shows.

Enjoy!

/Dan
I caught the show last night, and would highly recommend it. It featured my three favourite Derren routines and my favourite moment from his previous shows, so I was absolutely thrilled. A fair amount of the material was taken from his earlier shows, and the finale had been updated with some nice additional touches, and to work even better Stateside. It was wonderful to see him perform some beautiful pieces which I hadn't managed to catch first time round. I think one of the routines may have been from his very first tour, which was never televised.

The only niggle for me was that a celebrity chosen during one routine wasn't visually striking enough for me to recognise. I knew the name, and knew their work, but was unable to identify them come the applause cue. Judging by the audience reaction, I may have been the only person to feel this way.

I'm looking forward to going again in a fortnight, so it will be interesting to see if changes are still being made. I would recommend the show unreservedly. It was a joy to watch Derren performing some of his signature work.
I too saw Derren's 'Underground' last night, here in London.
It was my first time seeing Derren live. It was an absolute joy and marvel. Like Minty above, it was such a thrill to see pieces live that I assumed I never would, including some of my very, very favourites from previous shows which I had only ever seen televised.
It's not being too rose-tinted to say this was a dream come true. To see the* greatest performing Mentalist of our age live was a delight and a privilege.
Recommended without reservation to all who want to feel some wonder, and those who want to see our noble craft of Mentalism genuinely elevated to the realms of Art. A joy.

(*Insert "one of the" here instead if you think there are some who compare as performers of Mentalism.)

All the best,
Francis
What past effects did he perform? I don't it would be spoiler since they are past effects... and I'm sure those will change from show to show.
I got my tickets and reserved my seats. I can't wait. Ironically the two people I was most excited to see as of late are going to be performing around the same time in NYC. Derren is one and Derek Del Gaudio is the other. I feel like a kid waking up on Christmas morning.
[quote]On Mar 19, 2017, magikcid wrote:
I got my tickets and reserved my seats. I can't wait. Ironically the two people I was most excited to see as of late are going to be performing around the same time in NYC. Derren is one and Derek Del Gaudio is the other. I feel like a kid waking up on Christmas morning. [/quote]

I'd love the opportunity to see Derek in London someday.
Saw the London show last night. Absolutely fantastic. Id say the second half was pretty much perfect, the first half I'm guessing they're still playing around with (not that there was anything wrong with it, the effects were tremendous, definitely some of his very best). Was sitting a few seats over from Andy Nyman and he was writing endless notes throughout the first act and sat back and relaxed in the second.
Minty - In regards to the celeb, I hadn't heard of him either but it was apparent that was sort of the point and it was all made clear towards the end. Also I think he is probably better known to a USA audience who that routine is definitely aimed at
[quote]On Mar 23, 2017, ed wood wrote:
Minty - In regards to the celeb, I hadn't heard of him either but it was apparent that was sort of the point and it was all made clear towards the end. Also I think he is probably better known to a USA audience who that routine is definitely aimed at [/quote]

Hi Ed! I think we're talking about different routines and different celebrities. I was referring to a routine in the first half (though of course that routine may not have been featured in your performance). I agree with your comments about the finale.
[quote]On Mar 23, 2017, minty wrote:
Minty - In regards to the celeb, I hadn't heard of him either but it was apparent that was sort of the point and it was all made clear towards the end. Also I think he is probably better known to a USA audience who that routine is definitely aimed at [/quote]

Hi Ed! I think we're talking about different routines and different celebrities. I was referring to a routine in the first half (though of course that routine may not have been featured in your performance). I agree with your comments about the finale. [/quote]

Oh, not what I was thinking then. Trying to be cryptic here so as not to give anything away...... did derren put on an extra piece of clothing for this particular effect, lets call it a smock.
[quote]On Mar 23, 2017, minty wrote:

Hi Ed! I think we're talking about different routines and different celebrities. I was referring to a routine in the first half (though of course that routine may not have been featured in your performance). I agree with your comments about the finale. [/quote]

Oh, not what I was thinking then. Trying to be cryptic here so as not to give anything away...... did derren put on an extra piece of clothing for this particular effect, lets call it a smock. [/quote]

PM sent.
I was lucky to see his show last Saturday night! Checked off one item of my bucket list. It was fantastic! Small intimate venue. Turns out a lot of Brits were at the show and he had to convince the audience that they were not stooges. The climax of the first half blew my mind. Loved the whole experience. Go if you can!
I'm going this Saturday. I've recommended all my friends see him. He better be good or I'm In big trouble!!! LOL
I'll be there Saturday. Say "Hi!" if you recognize me or want to grab a drink and chat mentalism after the show.
I'm going tomorrow night. Anyone else?
Message: Posted by: TheDirectionalist (Apr 28, 2017 07:28AM)
Just saw it last night.. Absolutely incredible. It was like a montage of all my favorite Derren Brown routines.

And my night was made with a huge surprise as I walked out of the theater into the lobby area where I see David Blaine and Asi Wind casually standing and talking. They went unnoticed so I waited for most to leave and met both of them!! I still think I'm dreaming..
I also saw the show last night. It was a great "best of" show. A little strange seeing it in NY where DB is not well known. In the UK, when he makes his initial entrance, the theater erupts with applause and cheers. Here, scattered applause (which last night my wife and I started). During the show two of the selected audience members messed up, but DB handled them like the pro he is, and I suspect no one was the wiser. The team are still tweaking the show for the opening in May. It's nearly sold out, but they'll probably extend a couple of weeks in June after it officially opens. If you want to see the greatest mentalist in the world, here's your chance. Don't miss out!

Bob
I've seen the show twice and I'm going to see it at least twice more.

A fantastic showman and an incredibly entertaining show!

I attended the matinee on Sunday and no less than Kreskin was sitting in the back row.

I'd discuss the contents of the show but DB asked the audience to keep it SECRET. ;)
I'm seeing Derren Saturday night as well. So excited to finally see him in New York.
It was a great show. Much like others have said it was largely a reworking-of/best-of performance. The real delight is listening to him speak, honestly. Forget the methods, subtleties, or machinations of the tricks themselves. His ability to frame the experience and to make every single revelation its own wonderful moment is where his true virtuosity shows itself.
I agree with the above... And I'll say for the record after seeing this show... Derren is the best living mentalist on the planet! And this show is PURE mentalism. No stunts, nothing leaning towards magic... It has some of the big production aspects his UK shows are known for, but way stripped down which I prefer. It really was an amazing show and any doubt I had that Derren in the best in the game have been erased. He is absolutely the best... brilliant actor, consummate showman, and clearly loves and respects his audiences. Incredibly inspiring for me.
I went with Robb on Saturday and I concur. It was exhilarating to see Derren live for the first time, especially in such a small venue (200 seats). Most of the show was a "best of" compilation as mentioned above, yet the show felt fresh, had flow, and a strong theme. I watched it through the eyes of a layman without analyzing methods, only enjoying the theater of it -- and it's a great piece of theater. Derren is a showman through-and-through, and the fact that he puts on that show night after night, sometimes twice in a day, is most impressive.

I had told Robb that I had a strong feeling that I would be selected for something. And sure enough, Derren picked me to be a "receiver" because he thought I'd be good at it! ;) I was hypnotized and spent quite a bit of time with him on stage. It was a surreal experience. I didn't have to "act" like a layman because everything felt real, and he fooled me BADLY (I won't give away what I was a part of, as Derren asked us not to reveal "secrets.") I'm grateful for having experienced what it feels like to be on the other side of mind reading, especially with someone like Derren Brown.
Oh, one thing... magicians and mentalists who go to the show... PLEASE stop with the "whooping" ("Wooo! Wooo!") after every reveal. It sounds out of place, is not what normal audience members are doing, and I'm sure is annoying to Derren. It's not a Penguin Live lecture you know... Even my wife did "whoop it up" at the end of the show, but during during the show, reign it in a bit guys!
I would agree with most that has been mentioned already. Derren is clearly a skilled performer and showman. Witnessing him live you did get the sense he is a trained actor as much as a mentalist.

With that said, for me personally I felt he was a little "too" comfortable on stage. There wasn't enough excitement from him which is infectious for the audience. My wife paid me a huge compliment following the show saying, "Yes, he's really good but, you're not that far off from him." And she's just as tough of a critic of mine as I am.
Wow, I don't agree with that at all! He was dripping with charisma and energy when we saw him on Saturday. When did you go?
We went last Friday.
To his credit, it did feel like there was a halftime adjustment made and he brought it more for the second act.
Maybe he had an off night, or he's still trying to gauge the New York audience, but "not enough excitement from him" sounds nothing like the Derren Brown I saw on Saturday. He was absolutely infectious for the full 2 hours and 15 minutes. I kept looking back at the audience and I saw smiles, gasps, people sitting upright and forward in their seats, fully focused, and lots of "What the HELL?" looks. I bumped into my doctor on the way out and he said "What WAS that? That completely blew my mind!" Ironically, my doctor shares a practice with David Blaine's doctor!
Yeah it sounds like it. I would agree he did seem to be gauging what works and what doesn't.
I'm honestly thinking about going again if it isn't sold out..
Headed to see him tomorrow... cannot wait!

-Eli
One thing to keep in mind is that about half the audience consist of Atlantic Theater subscription holders. So they're coming to the show with virtually no knowledge of who Derren is or what he does. He's just part of their subscription series. So they don't know what to make of him. This is a far cry from the usual UK audiences, who know exactly who he is and what they're coming to see. In the UK, when DB makes his entrance, the crowd erupts in cheers. The night I went, my wife and I started the applause when the lights came up on him, and we were joined by about to ⅓ of the audience. I think that once the reviews in the NY papers come out and word-of-mouth begins, the energy in the audience will increase significantly.
I saw it Saturday night and it was great. I expected it to be great and was not disappointed. Unfortunately I missed the first half hour due to the midtown tunnel having only one lane open going into the city. It took me 2 1/2 hours to get into the city from Nassau County Long Island. My friend and his wife missed the whole show. Anyone traveling from outside of the city should allow plenty of extra time or better yet take a train.

Other than the difficulty in traveling to the show my family and I loved every bit of it. Derren Brown is a master at what he does.
Caught the show last night and absolutely loved it. I didn't realize it was going to be a greatest hits of sort but still very impressed. Honestly was able to cross this off my bucket list and that is priceless!
It was also interesting to see him handle minor hiccups as well as deliver punchlines with the naturalness of a first time delivery. Just an absolute top class performance.

I wish I knew more of this thread prior. Would have loved to meet some of you in person.
[quote]On May 1, 2017, NRmind wrote:
I wish I knew more of this thread prior. Would have loved to meet some of you in person. [/quote]

I'll be there on the afternoon show Saturday June 3, just in case someone else has tickets for the same date. (and I'll be seeing Derek Delgaudio the day before!)
Went tonight. My third time seeing DB live and my favourite, partly due to the small theatre. The guy is such a consummate performer.

Celeb watch: Actor Dylan Baker was there, someone said they saw Stephen Sondheim, and I THINK I saw David Mamet but not certain.
Got my ticket for tomorrow night, the same day the President returns to NYC for the first time since his inauguration. Hmm...
I loved it so much I'm going again on the 25th!
Have there been any press reviews yet?
Ed - Derren insinuates that this is still an early run of the show and they're still working on tweaking the show so I think they're intentionally keep things quiet right now.
In previous years, derren tends to say "please don't talk about xyz" - because as they refine and experiment with the early shows, he doesn't wanna disappoint future attendees if they end up dropping a certain piece from the show...

I have to say, even the show I didn't especially like, it was still entertaining and engaging...

i'm glad to see you guys are getting to experience his work live and in the flesh! I do think he is the best of the best and has remained consistent (quality wise) too...and considering he's been touring the UK near enough non-stop for over a decade, as well as his tv work - that's no mean feat...
Is there any dress code for the theater? I am going to the show next weekend and am unfamiliar with the theater scene in NYC. Can't wait to see it!
Not particularly a dress code but of course you are going to a theater so I would recommend against casual.

Jamy Ian Swiss wrote a blog about a few shows in NYC. It's a good read and I think some comments are very on point about Derren's performance.

http://www.magicana.com/news/blog/few-nights-magic
There's no dress code per se, but it is the theater after all. Outfits ranged from T-shirt and shorts to business suits. I wish I had dressed a little better had I known I would be on stage, but it was unusually hot in New York that day.

Jamy Ian Swiss' review is pretty spot-on, though I guess he missed Derren's claimer that he would use a mix of psychology, persuasion, illusion and lies. He flat out told the audience I AM GOING TO LIE TO YOU!
[quote]On May 3, 2017, ed wood wrote:
Have there been any press reviews yet? [/quote]

there are a few. go to Derren's facebook page and you will see.
[quote]On May 3, 2017, IAIN wrote:
In previous years, derren tends to say "please don't talk about xyz" - because as they refine and experiment with the early shows, he doesn't wanna disappoint future attendees if they end up dropping a certain piece from the show...[/quote]

He says the same thing at [i]this[/i] show: to keep it a secret. Though, as this thread shows, not everyone complies with that request.

I went to see the show on its first night and Derren explicitly referred to it as being in previews. According to this article, the actual opening night is Tuesday, May 16:
http://www.broadwayworld.com/off-broadway/article/Derren-Brown-to-Make-his-US-Stage-Debut-in-New-York-with-DERREN-BROWN-SECRET-20170214

I saw the show again this past Tuesday. Stephen Sondheim was in attendance, as were Shawn Farquhar and Meier Yedid. There was also a nice talk-back segment after the show where Derren fielded questions from the audience.
[quote]On May 4, 2017, mikelsc wrote:
Not particularly a dress code but of course you are going to a theater so I would recommend against casual.

Jamy Ian Swiss wrote a blog about a few shows in NYC. It's a good read and I think some comments are very on point about Derren's performance.

http://www.magicana.com/news/blog/few-nights-magic [/quote]

Am I alone in thinking of Jamy Ian Swiss as an insufferable bore?
I'll keep this vague - Was anyone else surprised about the bold use of buckets before the show? I thought it was a simple thing of beauty. I was expecting some crazy expensive method but it was just so simple.
[quote]On May 5, 2017, TheDirectionalist wrote:
I'll keep this vague - Was anyone else surprised about the bold use of buckets before the show? I thought it was a simple thing of beauty. I was expecting some crazy expensive method but it was just so simple. [/quote]

Simple answer, why run when you're not being chased...
TheDirectionalist -- I'll say this: Seeing Derren live is something I finally checked off my bucket list! ;)

Yes, janitor-style buckets. Quite bold but unassuming.
[quote]On May 5, 2017, TheDirectionalist wrote:
I'll keep this vague - Was anyone else surprised about the bold use of buckets before the show? I thought it was a simple thing of beauty. I was expecting some crazy expensive method but it was just so simple. [/quote]

Agreed. I chuckled to myself as I placed my "contribution" in.

It was a great show and the audience really seemed to enjoy it. I just moved to new york from pennsyvlania and I am still trying to gauge the new audience, but Darren was viewed favorably by the audience I was a member of.
The night I went, I was fortunate enough to be a part of the "talk back" session which lasted about 40 minutes. It was really lovely.

-Eli
Saw the show last night- I loved it!

Robb mentioned that it was pure mentalism- no magic- and while there can be a fine line between the two, I'd have to say that part of Act I's climax is most certainly 100% magic (stage illusion) and not mentalism, right? Perhaps the show has changed between then and now, though; he did mention we're still in previews and he's still forming the show.

And yes- the buckets were great. I loved how often he used the most practical method available rather than an elaborate magician fooler.

My date got to take part in the show, and from her silence, I thought maybe she's been around magic too much. But as soon as we left, she kept asking how any of it was possible, and she raved about it to her friends on the way home.

Oh, and yes, I can't believe that Jamy missed the disclaimers. "I am going to lie to you... I'm honest about my dishonesty," etc.
[quote]On May 5, 2017, strugglingfool wrote:
Saw the show last night- I loved it![/quote]

Cool! I was there last night, too. It's unbelievable how two and a half hours can fly by so quickly. The range of emotions that he evoked over the course of the show is incredible, and I got the impression that he was genuinely tickled to be amazing us over and over again.

Oh, and yes, I can't believe that Jamy missed the disclaimers. "I am going to lie to you... I'm honest about my dishonesty," etc. [/quote]

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

--[i]The Boxer[/i]
Simon and Garfunkel
[quote]On May 5, 2017, Bob Baker wrote:

Oh, and yes, I can't believe that Jamy missed the disclaimers. "I am going to lie to you... I'm honest about my dishonesty," etc. [/quote]

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

--[i]The Boxer[/i]
Simon and Garfunkel [/quote]

I was thinking the same thing, but your reference sums it up even better. :)
I have tickets for next Sunday, can't wait! I'm a bit surprised at the lack of publicity about Derren's US premiere. After all, he has been a smash in the UK for years, even winning two Olivier Awards. And Andy Nyman, his creative partner for years, is involved as well. It is an interesting departure for the Atlantic Theatre. I'm hoping successes all around and wondering if it could lead to additional US exposure. :yippee:
Are there any real people going, or just magicians?
I would say about 95% "real people"... it's just the magicians and mentalists are really noisy!
The major papers will review opening night, that should generate some buzz, and I'm guessing they might extend the run a couple of weeks "by popular demand" at that time.
I recently went to see the show. I really enjoyed it. He's a great showman and storyteller.
[quote]On May 5, 2017, ed wood wrote:

Am I alone in thinking of Jamy Ian Swiss as an insufferable bore? [/quote]

You're not alone, ed wood.
"Due to popular demand, Derren Brown: Secret is now playing through June 25!" (From theater website.)
[quote]On May 9, 2017, Demitri wrote:
[quote]On May 5, 2017, ed wood wrote:

Am I alone in thinking of Jamy Ian Swiss as an insufferable bore? [/quote]

You're not alone, ed wood. [/quote]
ROTFLMAO... ;)
Spent a wonderful afternoon at the Matinee of SECRET at the Atlantic Theatre. Having been familiar with some of Darren's work from seeing clips on the internet, I had expectations set as to what I might see. Guy Hollingsworth was in the audience and I greeted him at intermission and thanked him for his fabulous ERDNASE show at Magic Live a few years back.
I must admit I wasn't able to completely play layman and I spotted a few methods, but I would also admit this is one of the better, most entertaining 'magic' events I've seen in NYC. Many of the audience were plain a-gag at what was occurring before them. Brown is a powerful performer and has weaved a marvelous show that will no doubt sell out as soon as the reviews have hit the stands on Tuesday. By the end of the afternoon, I got caught up in his excitement and enthusiasm and I did indeed want more. The UK sensation is indeed a success in the US and I hope that this is only his first stop.
For the doubters, here's the review of "Secret" from the chief theater critic of the NY Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/16/theater/derren-brown-secret.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Farts&action=click&contentCollection=arts®ion=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=2&pgtype=sectionfront
Looking to make the trip up to NYC to see this show. Have been a HUGE fan of DB!
I would love to go see Derren live! I'm drooling at everyone who's had the opportunity to see the show!
I thought the Jamy Ian Swiss review, for better or for worse, raised some really fascinating questions...
I think that Jamy doesn't understand mentalism or
mental magic.
As many said before, he is a very good writer.
He is a card magicians that trys to apply
card magic principles to mentalism.
This is not a good approach in my opinion.
His opinions are very good in magic conventions
when you do a 4 ace trick and you use a blue deck
and not a red deck.
I had a very bad experience when I first saw
him in Imams bar in NYC. He was very rude
to me and to my friends and to other magicians.

Lior
[quote]On May 20, 2017, Lior wrote:
I think that Jamy doesn't understand mentalism or
mental magic.
[/quote]

Nevertheless, in this review he compares and contrasts Brown and DelGaudio in a very interesting way. He's getting at the heart of authenticity and depth in performance and weighing it against polish and surface. It's really a thoughtful observation, and pretty important with regards to the mental magic / mentalism debate. Brown and DelGaudio are both masters with different styles. No one's challenging that. So, it makes for a thoughtful piece.

http://www.magicana.com/news/blog/few-nights-magic
I always prefer to listen to my audience, to my clients
to directors and to very few mentalists.
I never listen to magicians.
So true!
Felt like Derren was revisiting the essence of his Tricks of the Mind era stuff, live, and without the help of any clever editing. Gutsy. All the ways he pulls taught and then releases tension in the theatre, quite the ride. Pace and flow were both ace.

Remarkably attractive audience too.

Pinball and a beer down the way at Pioneers Bar after was the move. Ommegang Witte and Pirates of the Caribbean if you must know.

Really do hope Mr. Brown gets proper traction and finds his place amidst American culture in some significant way. Dude was massively impactful upon my life, and there's no doubt in my mind others would be better off for the exposure to his work. SECRET is a great place for anyone to start. Definitely rooting for DB. Make it happen man.
Saw Derren's Secrets show this last Sunday. Flew out from Phoenix just to experience this intimate show with our art's leading trailblazer and innovator.

Without going into details, the 2.5 hour show exceeded all expectations. To see Derren up close in a 200 seat theater was a once in a lifetime bucket list event.

So intimate.

The maestro tied together many of his best symphonies in an escalating crescendo of entertainment that will have you thinking long past the final curtain call.

This is a greatest hits show, but with new surprises too.

Kudos to Collabortors Andy Nyman and the rest of his talented crew.

The show was devoid of extraneous fluff - it concentrated on the human and the individual shadings of the performer and participants.

I recommend that any serious performer try to grab a seat to this wonderful production.

A master class and master piece.
I am literally going to be doing the same thing Brett. Flying out from LA, see the show and turn around and fly back. I can't think of many performers I would do that for. It's going to be a very quick and tiring trip. But I am sure it will be worth it.
[quote]On May 23, 2017, sbays wrote:
I am literally going to be doing the same thing Brett. Flying out from LA, see the show and turn around and fly back. I can't think of many performers I would do that for. It's going to be a very quick and tiring trip. But I am sure it will be worth it. [/quote]

You are going to have quite an unforgettable evening Scott. Grab a bite at the nearby Chelsea Market perhaps.

P.S.
Get there early (45 min) to catch the little nuances.
[quote]On May 23, 2017, saysold1 wrote:
[quote]On May 23, 2017, sbays wrote:
I am literally going to be doing the same thing Brett. Flying out from LA, see the show and turn around and fly back. I can't think of many performers I would do that for. It's going to be a very quick and tiring trip. But I am sure it will be worth it. [/quote]

You are going to have quite an unforgettable evening Scott. Grab a bite at the nearby Chelsea Market perhaps.

P.S.
Get there early (45 min) to catch the little nuances. [/quote]

Thanks Brett. I am confirmed. Got the tickets. Looking forward top it!
Sbays and Brett you've inspired me! I just booked flights from SLC, Utah to NYC for June 10th - and to make the most of it I'll be attending the matinee and the evening show.

I saw Svengali back in 2012 in London and thought that would be the only opportunity I'd likely have to see him live - SUPER EXCITED!

Best,

Drew
I saw DB's show on May 20, the matinee. It was exhilarating. He is a masterful showman, filled with charm and energy. Clearly much of the audience thought so as well, for he received two standing ovations. I believe that, as to be expected, the audience was mixed: I knew some very knowledgeable and famous magicians there, and there were plenty of lay folks as well. It was a memorable show and I am very glad to have experienced it.

With time and the inevitable ebb of adrenaline, I have developed second thoughts. I will briefly describe them. There will be no spoilers in what follows. But if you want to see the show with completely fresh eyes, read no further.

So, upon reflection, here are the things that did not agree with me:

- The effect that leads to the marvelous painting scene seemed problematic to me. For I simply could not recall what the selection procedure was for the famous names. I asked a fellow magician at intermission and he also confessed it went by him. Perhaps we both missed it. But absent a clear and seemingly fair selection procedure from audience-supplied names, the effect seems less mysterious.

- DB's version of Koran's Medallion: sappy.

- The Oracle act. I was with some lay people and while they enjoyed the performance, they wondered why the method wasn't transparent: they immediately asked, weren't the envelopes collected by stagehands prior to the performance, etc.?

- And finally, the finale. Part of the finale involved a confabulation-type prediction. They seem to be all the rage: many mentalist shows I've recently seen have ended with them. An envelope or box that's been apparently in plain view all evening is now opened and shown to contain a detailed (to the point of numbing) prediction of everything that has happened in the show. In my view, that is an example of the too-perfect effect. (And perhaps the Koran Medallion also falls here.) Many of the things DB did I'm sure left the audience wondering how he did them, oscillating uncertainly between imputing strange powers to him and suspecting shenanigans. The too-perfect effect does not elicit that response of uncertainty. Everyone knows with certainty that this is the product of a trick and their minds immediately switch into problem-solving mode. They might not know how the trick was effected but they know it was a trick - we are in the realm of magic, not mentalism.

The other parts of the finale involved a chair test of sorts, endless matchings, impossible coincidences, ... In fact, that was the problem: there was so much going on it was a blur. I venture to say that most people would not be able to narrate the events of the finale some time after the show - and I don't mean what really happened, but what they were supposed to think was happening. Vernon said confusion is not magic. Well, I will add that confusion is not mentalism. The layering of effects and matches was so thick and rapid in the over-the-top finale that indeed it made one giddy. But it was a giddiness born from an exciting muddle.

Again, I enjoyed the show enormously and DB has my great respect, of which these thoughts are a small manifestation.

Alexander
[quote]On May 29, 2017, AlexanderG wrote:
Again, I enjoyed the show enormously and DB has my great respect, of which these thoughts are a small manifestation.
[/quote]

Did you miss the part where he asks audience members to keep details of the show a secret?

I liked when he made the elephant disappear. :D
Dear AlexanderG, I respect your opinions but, having seen the show twice, I find myself disagreeing with you on just about every single point.

I did, however, miss Annette, and wonder if her inclusion might have made you feel better about one of the effects.
Minty, I agree with you there. I'm still tied up in how any "business" was done, but I would have loved to have seen Annette for the gag itself.

The show was stellar the night I went, my friend was hypnotized by Derren, and it was a bit surreal to be in the middle of the action I've watched videos of over and over again.

I believe having seen all of the material before made the show so much more valuable to me as a performer. I was able to shed the initial awe at what was being done and appreciate the forest for the trees.
I agree with Mind Guerilla, we're getting very close to divulging secrets when talking about specific animals. However, I also agree with minty and Silas that Annette would have been a good addition to the menagerie.

I've seen SECRET twice. The first time I watched it as a layman and was thoroughly entertained and fooled by a few bits. The second time I analyzed it as a mentalist, and kept thinking "That's brilliant!" The choreography behind it all is mind-blowing.
Derren's very Sherlock (BBC)
I figure a lot of the US came up more akin to The Wire (HBO)

and there I am debating contemplating Idris Elba's Luther (BBC) as a possible way to bridge the cultural divide in my mind
when it dawns on me that the penultimate climax is a series of predictions revolving around barnyard animals, ugh
so I get lost and have to start again

Lie To Me...
I just say a piece in the NY Times saying Secret is returning in September - I think a weekend in NYC is in order this fall
Thanks, tjackson8685. Here's a link to that article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/13/theater/derren-brown-secret-broadway.html

I think it's an interesting development. When I saw his show at the 200-seat Atlantic Theater, in 2017, I thought he was very good, but also that he had misjudged the size of the theater. It was a small space and his energy and performance seemed too big for it. Jamy Ian Swiss wrote about Derren seeming a bit inauthentic compared to Derek DelGaudio who performed in a similar sized space, and I felt the same way. Somehow Derren's energy was going past the audience, and I kept thinking to myself that he is performing as if he were on a Broadway stage.

So I think he's going to do great on Broadway. Those theaters are the kinds of large theaters where Derren's kind of energy really shines. I think he's going to be even more successful this time around. Really looking forward to this.
[quote]On Jun 17, 2019, landmark wrote:
Thanks, tjackson8685. Here's a link to that article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/13/theater/derren-brown-secret-broadway.html

I think it's an interesting development. When I saw his show at the 200-seat Atlantic Theater, in 2017, I thought he was very good, but also that he had misjudged the size of the theater. It was a small space and his energy and performance seemed too big for it. Jamy Ian Swiss wrote about Derren seeming a bit inauthentic compared to Derek DelGaudio who performed in a similar sized space, and I felt the same way. Somehow Derren's energy was going past the audience, and I kept thinking to myself that he is performing as if he were on a Broadway stage.

So I think he's going to do great on Broadway. Those theaters are the kinds of large theaters where Derren's kind of energy really shines. I think he's going to be even more successful this time around. Really looking forward to this. [/quote]

You'd struggle to find a single mentalist who gives a toss about anything Jamy Ian Swiss has to say.
If Swiss was half as good at performing as he is at telling everyone else how magic should be performed he'd be more famous than Houdini. As it is no one outside of the world of magic has ever heard of him or care about his card tricks.
Sometimes I agree with Swiss, more often I don't; but I saw both Derren's and Del Gaudio's shows, and I had thought exactly the same thing in terms of authenticity as Swiss before I read his review.

I don't think it's because Brown isn't a stellar performer; he is my favorite mentalist. But I think he misjudged the intimacy of the venue, and for me it affected the way I experienced the show.
I was fortunate enough to be in NYC to see him at the Atlantic and even more fortunate to have my 1st edition of Pure Effect signed. If you have the opportunity to go all I can say is that it's a masterclass. Also its one of the few magic shows on the planet you can take your significant other to without them being bored out of their minds! Go if you can.