(Close Window)
Topic: Impromptu Gone to be
Hey...Magic people from a distant land

How much fun can a grown up man have with a few coins?
That much:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_npcjd500Rg

All the best!

b
As always, very nice. Though it's a bit hard to see the first couple of coin transformations because the two coins don't have a lot of contrast, and are quite similar looking.
Beautiful movements, so fluid and magical. Me likey! :)
Thx chaps.
Tons: actually I din't intend to transform the coin...I thought they were both the same..! ( but this being said I can't see very well).
Why not though.. With 2 different coins, the routine is funky as well.
Without doubt, you are a very very technically gifted coin artiste. Magic for magicians - sleight of hand to marvel at. Beautifully performed front onto a camera - superb.

However, I've never really been a fan of extensive handwashing in coin routines. 13 seconds out of a 39 second routine was handwashing - demonstrating that the hands are empty - technically beautiful - smooth as silk, but is a third of the routine a bit much? Technique for magicians to aspire to, without doubt - but would a lay audience just prefer to let you turn your hands over a couple of times instead, and then get on with the magic?

The fact that tonsofquestions thought the routine was a coin transformation rather than a two coin production and vanish may indicate perhaps a lack of clarity of the routine too?

It would be lovely to see you perform your magic to real people rather than a camera. And I'd like to see you personally too! Head included!!! I look forward to a live performance in the near future my friend.
Agreed: Very beautiful work. Too much handwashing? Maybe, but I don't think it takes away from the magic.
Hmm. I think the one's a bit blacker, and the other is redder. I think the coins were also flipped, so the letters vs dragon changed.

But really it's that several of the wipes just *look* like they're supposed to be changes.
Maybe it's just my impression of your style combined with "thinking like a magician", but some moves look like they're drawing my attention. If something doesn't appear or disappear, and when it doesn't, I can't help but think "oh, it must have changed."

Take, for example, the one at 0:20. Why else would you put it into a tunnel of a hand, only to pull it out?
In some routines involving a lot of changes, I could imagine doing it to demonstrate that it hasn't changed (before it does the next time), but that's not the case here.
Simply magic: Thanks. I see what you mean. Actually, I'm a rather weird case...I almost never perform for magicians but have several thousands of performing experience for lay people, for which I do about 80% this type of artistic prestidigitation and 20% of "standard magic". But I understand your reaction. Most magicians that worked with me were surprised at the type of material I was performing. I did this type of stuff everywhere and anywhere, close up, parlour, and sometimes stage.
Would be very happy to demonstrate if one day you come around Osaka Japan. I don't have that many live footages, but post some occasionally on my FB page: Dafedas B.

Jefkve: I know mate, it's like an addiction..I'm trying to stop. Some things are so much fun to overdo.
If you think that was too much look at that one!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4uYipDjnQc
( and yes...I DO have a life outside this, hehe..)

Tons: You're right, I can see now...Need to be careful. I see your point for the tunnel move. I think your comment absolutely makes sense for the common of mortals. In my case, I "add" bits of unnatural, unnecessary moves all the time, which condition the spectator to a certain type of choreography, and then use these segments to add/ weave sleights into it. I for example do the tunnel move for "nothing" even when I'm just playing with one coin. In a way, yes, it makes no sense, but on the other hand it does, as a choregraphy which mechanics can be used for sleight when needed. Weird approach I know. In this specific routine, the tunnel move isn't necessary as you can switch the coin in an other way. But I like the flow this way, and it gets good reaction ( for lay people at least, don't know for magicians..) But this move works best for changes, definitely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLA_AtxFWEE

All the best guys.
b