(Close Window)
Topic: The Key to Change
Hi everybody.

I spent all night starting at about 7:30 pm and finishing this just now at 7:59 am. I won't comment on what this is as I'm leaving it as a surprise.

I doubt anybody will use my presentation in this, and I suspect that I may even be subjected to some ridicule by those who don't understand the difference between "tricks" and REAL Magic - Mentalism. That's fine by me. If this happens to be the case, just be aware that it indicates to me exactly where on the totem pole it is that you belong. Magic and Mentalism is not just an art form for me, but a way of life and shapes my world view heavily. Magical thinking is not an easy thing to teach, but this is what I have tried to teach with this.

Also, this will always be available and remain permanently FREE as my gift to the community. Do NOT expect this to be like anything else I have shared - it isn't. Some will immediately see the value in this and "get it", other may miss it completely. If you like it, please leave a comment. It takes an insane amount of thinking, time, and effort to do these things.

This release is also pretty self revealing. If anything should ever happen to me, I would hope that you will remember me this way. I try. That's kind of what this is all about really...

As always, if you'd like a copy just send me a PM.

[IMG]http://i65.tinypic.com/33bfg9l.png[/IMG]
Absolutely beautiful work Sudo! Thank you for both the thought and generosity you bring to the site. You're influence has shaped my path in these arts, and "The Key to Change" is just another example. Aren't those late nights up working on a project something? It sounds like this is overflowing with personality and dedication. Thank you again for everything you do, and for not loosing hope. It can seem so easy sometimes.

There isn't much here other than a little suggestion if you're wanting something for the tool belt, just good heartfelt writing about a couple classics. I'll leave the rest to those that read it.
Dude, just write a book and sell it! :D
This is becoming ridiculous.

Thank you so much for your time and thoughts!
Bravo Sudo! A perfect example of how the artist makes something much greater by how he engages his audience. You can ignore the patter, you can ignore the material choice, but you can't ignore the message that there is so much more we can make of our performances.
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Mar 2, 2017 02:02PM)
The Magic is secondary, while the magick within the person is what matters most. Routines where a sitters makes a change in their life by using their own personal energy and the energy of surrounding elements is the creation of meaningful magick. Using a simple key as a focus point is what makes this a nice routine. There are other routines out there that uses a key, but I don’t remember one that uses the second element of this routine.

If I may, I would expand the routine by doing a small reading of the second element that is introduced at the end. It seems such a natural extension to do so…..

Best
Ray
Hi guys. I have just awoke after getting some much-needed sleep. I re-read the initial post I made for this thread (made right after finishing writing the manuscript) and I apologize for the rather terse tone of that post - it is obvious to me that I was over-tired and cranky.

Thank you for the kind words Ray, Tom, Yogi, and Alexxander. I'm glad to see that the message behind the words came through clearly - I wondered how many people wouldn't get it. This has restored some of my faith that a great number of people in the art still have an interest in such subjects.

Thanks again.

**There is still a ton of material forthcoming, so "buckle-up" folks - it's going to be a wild ride. ;)
Regarding the reading Ray...

If you have them form the card that represents themselves as I laid out in "Eclipsed".....

Sssshh! I did NOT just say that. Did I? Oh yeah...I did. ;)

Options. Options. Options. Life is full of options - the question is simply: Which way do you want to go?
[quote]On Mar 2, 2017, Alexxander wrote:
Dude, just write a book and sell it! :D
This is becoming ridiculous.
[/quote]

I would. But there's only one title I'd want to use for it, which Stephen Minch already stole from me when I was only three years old back in 1977 - "Creations of a Magical Madman." :)

I could never find a copy of it for myself. I must have signed it out from the local library about 3 dozen times - no joking. This book had a massive influence on me as a developing Mystery performer back in the early 80's. I'd die to own a copy of it now. I have such fond memories of this book. His mating ritual routine performed with an Ellis ring was wonderful reading as was his "Cups and Flies", and who can forget Milo? That book was the book that inspired me creatively more than any other book I've ever read in the art and really opened up my eyes as to how expressive and untraditional presentations *can* be. An absolute gem of a book in my opinion.
Hi Sudo,

I tried to drop you a PM, but you're out of space. I'd love a copy of The Key To Change :-)

Regards, Steve
Hi Sudo, here's the Minch-book?: https://www.amazon.com/Creations-magical-madman-performer-left-handed/dp/0919230539

Luc
Hi Luc.

Yeah - I saw that earlier. Unfortunately I can't shop amazon. They are one of the few stupid places on the net that doesn't do paypal. Not only that, would you believe me if I told you I've only had a bank account for less than a year? I despise the banking system and everything it represents and nothing will ever change my mind about that. They'll never give me a cc, nor do I want one. If I had my way, I wouldn't even have the one I have now...but I don't have much choice about that at the moment unfortunately. I've lived almost all of my 42 years without one.

I'm still trying to figure out why a bird can freely find any good tree and build a nest but humans can't do the same. I guess it's cause we're.....sophisticated, civilized, and intelligent? Yeah, that must be it. If you ask me, the birds have got it figured out. I guess I'm a bird brain. :rotf:

And this bird you cannot change.

Steve, check your inbox. :)
Sudo, Thank you for this amazing gift. Magic at its worst is a crude means to impose social dominance over others but at its best can be transformative. You have reached for the stars with this and it exemplifies how we can strive for more than previously thought possible.
This sounds interesting. I have none of your routines ..this would be the first. Thanks..
Whoah, Ray. Thank you for your (actually) beautiful words. You hit the nail right on the head with that one word especially - transformation. It has been a constant recurring theme in my life lately. Thank you once again, and I'm super happy to hear that you've enjoyed it.

@Slim - There's a first for everything! Check your inbox. :)
Hi Sudo,

A lovely and powerful idea that (as you caution) should be used with great care. Thank you.

Regards, Steve
Hi Sudo, this is a shameless request driven by the praise that has been posted above : I would love to have a look at it :)
Sudo, thank you again for sharing your work. You have a rare gift and the even rarer ability to communicate it. Magic indeed.
Thank-you Steve and Lin.

Cervier - check your inbox. ;)
I think this is a great exercise in lateral thinking when it comes to presenting magic. While simple, it is direct, and it transcends "trick" into something meaningful. Nice work Sudo. Thanks for sharing.
Love it Sudo! Thanks for sharing! I'm fishing for prof's key now. LC has them all sold out but hopefully there will be some available soon.
Uplifting presentation/routine of Sudo with the perfectly balance of the Resurrection Cemetery Gate Key of Prof BC is a great combination.
Thanks guys!

@ Pawel: Yeah, that key is really something else. It took me a while to get my hands on one - I wouldn't part with it for anything. In my opinion. I don't think there's ever been a finer key on the market. Keep in mind though, you can use any haunted key for this effect. I just prefer Prof's key because it works so wonderfully in a participant's hand. :)
Almost against my will, I care for new methods. It's sheer curiosity. But what I really care for are new themes, new ways of presenting the xillions (let's not exagerate: "chundreds" would be mor accurate ;) ) of methods I already know (5% of which I use in performances...).

I appreciate any new idea, I value those I can and want to use, because they're close enough to what I like and do. And Sudo's presentation for the "Key" routine is just that! Close to a theme I use with other props and methods (I can relate to it), and one I'll have no problems adapting to my own words because it's "obvious". By that, I mean the kind of ideas you look at, like them and think "[i]it's 'obvious'! How did I not think of this!?[/i]. "Natural" would maybe be a better word. I've often written how this is, for me, the mark an idea is very good: when I like it, find it so simple I wonder how I didn't find it myself -yet I didn't!

A key... How can a spectator relate to that key?... Well, Sudo's presentation answers that question nicely. But it doesn't stop there. The routine wraps together two effects in one consistant routine you won't imagine splitting.

Very neat job, Sudo! :ohyes:
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Mar 3, 2017 07:41PM)
I have never created an original piece of magic in my life. I cannot come up with a clever new method, but I admire those who can. However, when I perform, I tend to stick with the simplest methods, so I can focus on the presentation. If the methodology gets too complicated, then I fear that it will detract me from what's truly important; the message I wish to convey with my artform.

It seems that Sudo is of a similar mind. In his "The Key to Change" monograph, he has taken two hoary effects in the bizarrist's arsenal and combined them in a clever presentation that evokes meaning for the participant. This is what gospel magicians often attempt to do (and just as often, fail). Sudo shows that one can spread a powerful spiritual message without promoting any one particular belief system.

I look forward to seeing what else Sudo creates in a similar vein. As a wise performer once said, we already know enough tricks . . . what we need to learn is how to craft meaningful presentations around those tricks and thus create art.
OK, If this is a spiritual message as Philemon outlines I'd like to see it. :)
Thank you Sudo for your inspiring piece. The mastery of the craft is in delivering an 'experience'. You have added meaning to two effects which are background to the story instead of the centerpiece 'trick'.
Well done sir.
Thank-you Cervier , Philemon, et al. for the very thoughtful comments. Much appreciated.

I have had some friendly chats with people who say they don't like the other item that is not a key. Cool. I get it - YOU don't like that thing. Nothing wrong with that. After all, I probably wouldn't like wearing YOUR underwear either. A routine and it's presentation is as personal as underwear is - to my way of thinking.

So do something about it then. Make it "yours." Think about what is happening in this effect outside of the presentation. There is an unbelievable and incredible sympathetic reaction that occurs between two objects that represent the "self" and "change". That's the base routine idea. So what if we try something like this instead:

Everything remains the same from a presentational standpoint, except there is no ID. Instead, you have them write down their NAME on a blank business card which is then folded billet style and dropped into an empty wineglass. As they are focusing, the billet too suddenly jumps out of the glass! Or what if you don't fold the card at all and just lay it flat on the table and the card visibly turns itself over too...? This is just a quick example off the cuff. The point is: a little thought goes a long way. It really is not hard to make this ( or anything!) fit your personality. And the more you get into the habit of doing it, the easier it gets - trust me. :)

I have my reasons for doing the routine as I've described. It's my routine, my baby, and I love it! It hits every little sweet spot I like. Years ago, I *may* have felt the same way too about the ID (and other things that often get passed over), but with time, maturity, and experience, you begin to see things in a different light and realize that it's not about YOU. Sure, you can (and should) express aspects of yourself through your presentation, but it should all be geared towards giving the participants a memorable EXPERIENCE and NOT to boost your personal ego.

Sorry, rambling. I could talk for hours about this stuff.... :love:
Sudo, Thank you for sharing. Loved your presentation to add meaning and emotion to create a real experience .

Thank you!
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Mar 4, 2017 10:23AM)
I would also add that you may wish to consider using a Brainwave deck as opposed to ID, which in my opinion can play a bit stronger (although it requires just a little more work and care in handling).

Another idea is to artificially age the cards used and wrap them in a rubber band, so they match the aesthetic of the key. Just be careful not to go overboard in the aging and make the handling impossible.
For sure Philemon.

But I can't stray from the the classic ID though. Not because I can't, but because I won't. This all started for me by trying to work out a logical reason for "WHY" the card was flipped over the wrong way in an ID in the first place - and wanting to answer that with something other than the traditional explanations. You see, I ALWAYS have an ID with me, and I have a large number of unconventional uses for it (see ECLIPSED for an example of this.) Doing this allows me to jazz with my material by giving me more options to perform further routines with the few things I already have on me in the first place. Why buy one awesome effect for a dollar, when you can instead buy 5 awesome effects for that same dollar, right? Hope my rationale makes sense. The devil is in these small details.

Key turns over. "Thought of" card turns over in harmony with the key. Nice, simple, direct plot. Perhaps it is my Libra sense of balance that likes the ripple effect. :)
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Mar 4, 2017 11:34AM)
The plot of the Brainwave deck is still that the card "turns over." Plus, you now have the additional kicker that the back of the card is different than the rest of the deck, which allows you to draw in the additional metaphor that "change" also means not being afraid of being different than all the rest. :-)
True - but a Brainwave deck doesn't fit with some of the other presentations I have for an ID. I'm very big on conserving pocket space, so for me that extra little bit of mileage isn't worth carrying yet another deck.

But why don't you give it a whirl Philemon? It *does* fit with the presentation I already have for *this* effect. :)
I very much like this little routine. While it is a great little story, I doubt I would use the presentation exactly but the overall premise is wonderful and it already has me thinking. I had an 1800s deck the was damaged in a beering accident and now has a severe case of deck click. I couldn't bring myself to throw it out and after reading this little routine I now have a very old looking ID. This presentation just made me think that this is the perfect use for this old looking and now damaged deck.

Thanks Sudo!
Firstly Sudo, thank you so much for your amazing gift. I like very much its poetic presentation.Told that, I propose two variants : 1) an invisible tarot deck with 1 card final reading; 2) billet and pen to wrote a phobia that Key turning eliminate forever.

Kind regards
Paolo
I thoroughly enjoyed this. It will not be suitable to everyone's performance style as is, but it is a perfect example of how the right presentation can elevate a simple effect to something meaningful and lasting.
This was inspirational on several different levels. First, the story line showed how we can create powerful imagery to take our audience to the desired place. Secondly, we can not only entertain, but bring about positive change. Additionally, by sharing this for free, Sudo demonstrates how our gain in sharing need not always be monetary. Great work!
[quote]On Mar 5, 2017, charliecheckers wrote:
This was inspirational on several different levels. First, the story line showed how we can create powerful imagery to take our audience to the desired place. Secondly, we can not only entertain, but bring about positive change. Additionally, by sharing this for free, Sudo demonstrates how our gain in sharing need not always be monetary. Great work! [/quote]

I was trying to sum this fabulous piece of inspiration up, and you've hit the nail on the head charlie.
...always thinking.
Hey, Sudo
Your new tag-line pic makes me wanna burst out in song ...
" Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it's been "
And, it has ! :-)
Hahaha Gary! You clever devil, you. I was wondering how many (if any) would catch that. Where do I send the prize?

And yes, lately it DOES occur to me - what a long strange trip it's been! Not even joking. ;)

Thank-you for all of the wonderful comments everybody.

Time to get back truckin' on....
Sudo, thank you so much for your amazing giftI. I like very much your routines.
Thanks for sharing!
Best wishes from Italy.
Herbert
[quote]On Mar 6, 2017, Sudo Nimh wrote:
Hahaha Gary! You clever devil, you.

[/quote]

" Friend of the Devil is a Friend of mine " Ha Ha

And, for your Bad Self ! " I will get by, I will get by, I will get by, I will survive ..." :-)
Actually it's more like:

Cow's giving kerosene,

The kid can't read at 17,

The words he knows are all obscene, but - it's alright. :)
Hi Sudo, I tried to PM you, but can't get through. Any chance you can end me The Key to Change? Thanks in advance.
I freed up some room in my inbox.

Check your inbox. :)
Thanks for Sharing Sudo! This is great stuff.

I especially love the idea of elevating it to real magic. This is really along the lines of what Chris Gould lectured at ECSS III about.
Imagine the impact of the performance that could initiate real change in a person ... even just thoughts...

gostone23
Thanks gostone23! :)

I believe effects like this are to be used sparingly in a performance - like spice. Dropping a piece or two like this into your show can really help add a lot of texture.
I find this to be inspirational and very powerful. the first time I have felt a real emotional response from a haunted key effect.
What a lovely emotive connection anyone lucky enough to have been "Sudo's" Audience member when he performed this lovely haunted key routine.
Thank you for sharing your PDF with us.
Louis.
Sudo, you've taken (as you pointed out) something that may well be sitting unused in a drawer and have elevated it to a beautiful story that will touch the lucky soul of the individual who receives it. It is an elegant piece! Thanks for sharing with us!
David
This is great in terms of presentation using an invisible deck and haunted key! Sudo really shows how simple stuff can be presented beautifully!
I echo the good thoughts about the message and the humanity of the effect and I lean toward this goal in one way or another most of time in doing presentations.

What I really like about the use of the props is the double effect of the real time experience of the shift followed by the proof of the shift. The key moves to represent a change and the spec gets to experience the change in real time. This is followed by proof of the shift in the final reveal. Very powerful.

You do not see this idea of real time change all that often, unless it is something that uses an ideomotor response, like a pendulum. Metal bending comes close, but the real time effect is usually done in the performers hands. The coin bend might be better served as a proof of change, if you did not want to use the ID deck.

It has more impact if the spec is holding the key it, but I think it can be very effective also, if the performer holds it while the spec holds or touches their hand.

You can plug this real time shift idea into other types of effects as well.
[quote]On Mar 28, 2017, Dr Art wrote:
The coin bend might be better served as a proof of change, if you did not want to use the ID deck.

You can plug this real time shift idea into other types of effects as well. [/quote]

Thanks for the kind words. I have a very nice coin bend that happens in the spectator hands...your post just made me drag it back into memory. The way I make my coins, it isn't a bend as much as it is a curve (like a spoon bowl)- I've attached a pic.

And now I have the presentation I've been looking for:

"Remember, that it's the old tree that refuses to BEND with the wind that eventually breaks. The winds of CHANGE are constant. Remember to bend with them and you'll weather them just fine. I'll leave you with this coin as a gift to serve as a reminder when things start getting windy."

This little thing has just made my week. :)

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/2z3p4ci.png[/IMG]
Sudo kindly shared his key presentation with me and I echo the general sentiments of other posters. It's a creatively structured routine. The only thing I might say is that ending with the ID may make it lose some punch (given how popular and exposed an ID is, especially as a magic trick). But that's beside the point; kudos to Sudo for the routine and his thinking. It also prompted me to buy his version of positive - negative, and it's really wonderful!
Cheers,
Apurva
Thanks asanghi! :)

I have encountered that sentiment about the ID a few times from Magicians and Mentalists, but I believe that it is largely just paranoia. I've used the ID for numerous different applications in my professional work for well over two decades, and it's never been an issue. IIRC, I have only encountered people who are familiar with it maybe twice during all this time.

I was thinking about Philemon's suggestion earlier and found a solution around the issue that works for me. Instead of using a full BW deck, I instead layout 8 cards in a face up row right at the beginning. The participant lays the key on any one of the 8 cards. The remaining cards are simply gathered into a pile and left face up.

At the end of the routine, the 7 cards are shown to be red (let's say) and the card they laid the key on earlier is blue.... (Of course,it's simply "8 card BW")

This is a nice and tidy solution that manages to still save pocket space and also allows for the selection of a card to be just a passing moment without too much emphasis being placed on the selection process.
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Mar 29, 2017 07:53AM)
By using an 8-card BW, you now have the opportunity to use Tarot cards if you wish. Most decks are cut to the same size, so it's a simple matter to get two decks with different back designs. Even the Rider-Waite-Smith deck comes with several back variations. In fact, the Hoi Polloi deck has a skeleton key on the back!
Hello Sudo,

I was wondering if I can get a copy of your work?

Thanks.
Hi Sudo,

Thanks a ton for sharing your 'Key to Change' routine with us. Very kind and generous of you. Your presentation takes two old familiar tricks and molds them into a new cohesive whole, that can be both inspirational and deeply moving.

And all through this tread, you have, almost in passing, dropped some real nuggets of presentation gold. The 'Winds of CHANGE' Coin Bend, for instance. What a beautiful premise. A meaningful metaphor. A memorable performance piece. Hats off to you Sudo!

Thanks again.
Sudo

I tried to share my handling in return for yours, however you are out of space/subjects on your feed
Best
Douglas
Hi Douglas.

I have made some more room, but you can also reach me through the email at my website.

Thanks.
Had a read and it is beautiful, I can see it would be moving for the participant, awesome stuff. A great springboard for others to think about and work on their approaches. Would love to see you perform this.
Sudo was so kind to send me this, it truly is a piece to inspire, it has opened my mind.
Thank you so much. :)
I am very impressed with your thinking here, that could have an impact on many presentations.

I would not present this as described, but it expands my thinking on using the Haunted Key -
a device I already use in ways never imaged by the seller.
This sounds right up my alley, Brother! PM on the way...
My haunted key had been collecting some dust, no longer. I like how Sudo combined two totally different effects into this presentation. Two effects that most of the people on the Café knows how to perform (each with their own style) but that put together create a different experience for the spectator. A memorable one. Even if not performed exactly as described by Sudo (which everyone should try at least once to see the difference) it may inspire you to come up with effects that can create that memorable impact. Great job again!
"When I was young I thought I was clever and could change the world. But now I am wise and instead changed MYSELF." A clear piece of advise for all of us I think. Sudo has a very unique ability to combine things and make them better. Here we have the ID and Haunted key woven in such a way that an anticipation of mystery and wonder is generated from the story and not the props. The props once again as with other Sudo work are almost inconsequential. For those wanting a bit more attention on the key I will tell you how I aged my regular one. All you need is a candle and some time. Light the candle and slowly hold the key a bit above the flame with pliers or something. Soot will form on the key. Cover the entire key with this soot. Then with a damp cloth wipe the key gently taking off only the hard spots. to this 3 or 4 times and you will have what looks like an old key from days long ago. Thank you Sudo sometimes I almost type Sado I wonder why? This is a piece of theater worth consideration for anyone wanting to leave his spectator with more than just a good time.
Nice to hear that you guys have enjoyed this.

@ Senor Fabuloso: That quote is not mine. It is literally as I wrote in the pdf - I found it on a wall plaque in a new-age store.

I just "borrowed" the quote because it resonated with me. :)
[quote]On Nov 9, 2017, Sudo Nimh wrote:
@ Senor Fabuloso: That quote is not mine. It is literally as I wrote in the pdf - I found it on a wall plaque in a new-age store.

I just "borrowed" the quote because it resonated with me. :) [/quote]

I have gotten wisdom from strange places myself. Even bathroom stalls have provided me with a cherry or two. But for me this came from you so I'll live with giving you credit for it. I don't go to new age stores so the likelihood of my seeing it there would have been none. Don't sweat it brother these kinds of things drift in collective unconscious of the universe.
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Nov 10, 2017 06:42AM)
"Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.
- Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Balkhī (Rumi), Persian Poet, Mystic
Thanks for that reference Philemon. :)
Sudo, I tried to PM you to ask if you'd send me The Key to Change (I like the haunted Key and ID, and use props while telling stories), but got the message: ERROR: The user "Sudo Nimh" has run out of space. All users are limited to 60 total topics. Thanks!
Thementalcoach you can get it at his website www.sudonimh.com its a deal of a price and you’d help support a really deserving artist.
Message: Posted by: ProfessorMagicJMG (Aug 21, 2018 03:01AM)
[quote]On Aug 20, 2018, mtgoldstein wrote:
Thementalcoach you can get it at his website www.sudonimh.com its a deal of a price and you’d help support a really deserving artist. [/quote]

I had been looking for this also; I just checked the site after seeing your post, but couldn't locate it. Was it recently on there?
I tried to PM Sudo but there was no space left in the box. I found his website but could not find The Key To Change there.
Can anyone help with this?
Thanks in advance,
[quote]On Sep 7, 2018, ncsteve wrote:
I tried to PM Sudo but there was no space left in the box. I found his website but could not find The Key To Change there.
Can anyone help with this?
Thanks in advance, [/quote]

It should be available through my site by Monday. Thanks for your interest.