(Close Window)
Topic: Help transporting birds
Message: Posted by: PyroJeffNic (Apr 1, 2004 11:30PM)
I am from Canada and I am goin to PCAM 2004. I was wondering how to get my 7 doves across the border without hassle?
Message: Posted by: Darcy (Apr 2, 2004 11:26AM)
Hey PyroJeffNic, I live in Canada as well and am going to SAM with my doves. I have found it a pritty big hassle so far. You need to get your doves checked out by your vet and get the heath papers for each dove that you are traveling with. After that you need to apply for an import permit from the USDA, PM and I can give you there contact info. And then from there you will need to arange to get your birds looked at from an inspect upon arival into the states. After that your free to go - the same applys on the way back, they will need to be looked at by a canadian inspector.
Message: Posted by: PyroJeffNic (Apr 2, 2004 06:28PM)
how much is it going to cost me?
Message: Posted by: Darcy (Apr 3, 2004 11:09AM)
To get my 8 birds health papers was about $250 and the import permit is aprox $95. I know the import permit is the same for everyone, but your vet may work differently in charging you for your birds papers. My vet charged me I think $25 per bird.
Message: Posted by: Bob Sanders (May 31, 2004 01:53AM)
Just a suggestion from an old dove magician:

When going overseas, it often makes sense to buy or borrow doves there and leave them there. Booking agents there are often big helps. Local magicians love to be able to say "So and So even used my doves". (I really don't think the doves care.)

Local zoos will sometimes gladly furnish your doves. In the USA public zoos usually cannot sell them to you but they do get over populated and they do accept contributions! They will also accept doves you can't take home.

Thursday, I used one in Birmingham that belonged to a pet store. He was better trained than I was.

Stranger things do happen!

Good Luck!