(Close Window)
Topic: Who Have You Met?
I was just wondering what well known magi that you guys have met and/or hung out with? I have several including Eugene Burger, Kenrick "Ice" Mcdonald, Roger Klause, Brad Henderson, Howard Hale, Joe Stephens, Lance Pierce, Troy Hoosier, Charles III, Bill Malone, Eric Decamps, Bob Stencel and Michael Ammar.
Message: Posted by: T. Joseph O'Malley (Apr 2, 2004 05:27PM)
Well years ago I got a book autographed by Houdini...at least, my buddy gave me a book on Houdini for my birthday with the inscription "A little something for when you need to get out of a tight spot - all the best H Houdini". The penmanship was suspiciously like my pal's...

I doubt that counts though...
Michael Ammar, Jeff McBride, Frank Olivier (ok, he's more of a juggler but his magic is INTENSE) Jay Alexander as well. Oh, and Paul Nathan.
Met? You mean as in dropping names?

I've learned from some folks with names you probably know. And met them as PEOPLE too.
Uhmmm....

John Carney...
Jay Sankey...
David Ben...
Jeff McBride
Lee Asher
Nathan Kranzo
Aaron Fisher..
David Williamson

I think that's about it....

Cheers
Oh I forgot about Aaron Fisher and Losander. Aaron Fisher was a real nice guy. I didn't get to talk to long to losander tho. He let me use his special bubble wand/tube! His bubbles rock. They're so resiliant.
I spent 2 hours in a bar with Alex Emsley (we had scotch). He talked magic history, and showed me some of his outstanding magic. A true gentleman, and an magician extraordinare. A meeting I wont forget.
Jerry Sadowitz.
I've been to lectures/workshops by Jeff McBride, Aaron Fisher, Michael Ammar, Max Howard, John George, Tony Clark, John Calvert, Jahn Gallo, Bob Fitch, Aldo Colombini....
Hmmm...Met Jade and Charlie Frye as they were passing through Key West. Managed to miss Jeff McBride once a week for a month when his cruise ship was stopping in here. Don't ask me how I pulled that one off. Not too sure myself. Oh, yeah, now I remember.....mornings. Bad.

Had the pleasure of spending some time with Doc Eason when he lectured here.

Attended Joshua Jay's lecture in Phoenix when I was home on vacation.

Saw (and talked to somewhat) Cody Fisher at the Magic Castle. Saw (and talked to more briefly) Aaron Fisher, also at the Castle.

Met Rocco when he was down here in Key West. Probably met some others here in Key West, but they are slipping my memory.

Have spent some wonderful time on the phone with Eric Henning, trading tips and war stories.

And of course I have the pleasure of being good friends with Frank Everhart, Jr. Of course, he doesn't count, because to me he is just a really tall dorky magician. (Shhh...don't tell him I said that.)

Oh, and of course, the incomparable Alan Gold! (Who?)

:-)

Alan
[quote]
On 2004-04-02 19:52, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

I've learned from some folks with names you probably know. And met them as PEOPLE too.
[/quote]

This may be a stupid question, but ... what else would you meet them as, if not people? Aliens? Monsters? Plants? :P
Max Maven
Lee Asher
Chris Korn
Tom Stone
Justin Hanes
Brian Tudor
Hiro Sakai
Ton Onosaka
Curtis Kam
Kainoa Harbottle
Jerry Andrus

And some other names I can't think of at this moment.

K.C.
I met a guy named Bryce at the bank the other day, he was real cool. =)
Being the son of a magician in Chicago that list would go on and on...

Plus I have been perforing since I was about eight years old and have met a lot of great magicians over the years.

Through my fathers magic shop and my own performing life as a magician and as a hypnotist.

Best ahead,

Glenn Bishop
http://www.mrhypnotist.org
My best memories was of a session years ago in Chicago.
We were in a hotel room and I was able to visit and enjoy the company of Bill Malone and Eddie Marlo.

I shall never forget this time.

Tom Wolf
I live in the middle of nowhere with nobody for miles and miles, but I've talked to Jim Pace a couple times.
I met a boy called Frank Mills,

On Septmeber 12th right here,

In front of the Waverley, But Unfortunately,

I lost his address....
I've met Troy Hoosier, Bob Sheets, Garret Thomas, Boris Wild and Penn & Teller.
I left out a few which I have met including Duane Laflin Ron London Dr. Earl Rheum Pit Finn Danny Archer Ned Nedbalski David Ginn Steve Taylor Sammy Smith Steve Varro David Sandy Mike Stratman Gary Plants Jerry Guyer Diamond Jim Tyler David Tomason Tom Craven David Hira and Trini Montes
As a 15 year old kid in 1975,
I was working at a Magic Shop in Denver.
Was lucky enough not only to meet
Harry Blackstone,Jr., but able to
see him perform at the Playboy Club.
Talk about an eyefull!
Al Goshman also came by the shop.
[quote]
On 2004-04-03 12:26, redstreak wrote:
I live in the middle of nowhere with nobody for miles and miles, but I've talked to Jim Pace a couple times.
[/quote]

Did you ask him if he was scared of spiders?
Apart from Alex Emsley, I have had the pleasure to meet the following persons: Bob Sheets, Aldo Colombini, Lennart Green, Greg Wilson, Michael Ammar, Daryl, John Bannon, Michael Close, Max Maven, Ted Lesley, Larry Becker, Tommy Wonder, The Flicking Fingers, Gary Kurtz, David Harkey, Harry Lorayne, Martin Lewis, Lisa Menna.
Most of these I have met at "The Magic Weekend", an convention held every year in Lund, Sweden.
Michael Ammar, Daryl, Harry Lorayne and David Harkey I have met at lectures held in Stocholm.

Peo
Jerry Sadowitz, Derren Brown, Michael Vincent, JC Wagner, Paul Daniels, Luke Jermay, Max Somerset??
Well, I'm humbled to say, I've not met and talked with MOST of my favored magicians. Before I was unfortunately "discovered" as a magician (and consequently ejected from the show), I worked the David Copperfield show, three years in a row, as a stagehand. He is a very quiet, amiable guy. Too bad I blew it.

I have met Jeff McBride, Kozak, and Steve Fearson in person. Each one of those encounters was a learning experience I shall cherish.

Magicians I'd like to meet and share ideas with? Big list, but here in the Cafť', I've already been graced with PM's from people I admire:

Pete Biro
Jonathan Townsend
Mickey Silver
Brad Christian
Jamie Schoolcraft
Michael Rubinstein
David Neighbors
Peter Loughran
Whit Haydn (no PM's, just light-hearted ribbing in the forum)
A few more people I have not had the personal pleasure of corresponding with include:

Curtis Kam
Harry Lorayne
Jay Sankey
Dan Harlan
Phil Goldstein (Max Maven)

This is a list of Cafť' members...I cannot think of any more right now that have posted in the Cafť'. Jonathan's right, I'm interested in PEOPLE not famous names...I worked for Steven King for six years, and met all the celebrities I ever care to meet (or not care to...LOL).

I'm just glad I can thank the people most responsible for keeping my interest in magic alive...and that is YOU!!!

Doug
I was sure I corresponded with Dougini about something... guess I was wrong. Well, "Hi, Dougini!" That should do it!

One of the benefits of working hard to become a good magician is that your idols can become your friends. It happens all the time. My personal experience has been filled with such occurences:

I remember seeing an up-and-coming Johnny Ace Palmer at a small convention in Ohio when I was 16. His professionalism inspired me to better my performances. 5 years later, I was living on his couch for a few months between apartments!

Saw Gene Anderson command a crowd with his charming newspaper act. Years later we were members of the same magic club in Midland, MI, where we became friends.

Just when I was starting to develop some original rubberband work, I met Michael Ammar at one of his lectures. I'd read his books and seen him on TV so I admired his accomplishments. But the strangest thing happened -- he knew who I was! I'm not bragging. It freaked me out at the time. And it made me feel good, too.

In our business, people talk about others who are doing interesting things. That's how I heard about Nate Kranzo before I met him. If you are good at what you do, and you put your heart into it, the word gets around.

In fact, the first time I met Copperfield face-to-face was about a year after I had released Card-Toon. I was with a large group of friends and we went into a restaurant. We noticed Copperfield was sitting in a back booth with a very attractive female companion. Nobody wanted to bother him, so we just went about our business and left him alone. A little later, he and his friend got up to leave. They walked past our table and he stopped next to me and said "I just wanted to tell you that thing with the stick figure is great." How cool is that! A few years later he hired me for some consulting. It just goes to show you what can happen if you work hard.

I think this can happen for anybody in magic. We have such a small group of dedicated folks worldwide that you can get to know people really quickly. I've only mentioned a few examples, but I've been blessed to meet and get to know some incredible people. I hope you get that chance too!
--Dan Harlan
LOL, Dan..I do believe you're right...I was looking in the "new" PM system, but I do remember we PM'ed once or twice before the new system was in place...in fact Whit Haydn and I PM'd before, too, prior to the new system...

Dan, Fart-Toon was the most recent purchase I made, after you said only 1000 (2000?) were produced. I scrambled for that, and is my most treasured deck of cards. Plus, thanks to you, I'm better at rubberbands than I've ever been, ya HOOKED me on that as well, LOL!

Glad we corresponded...Fart-Toon is kind of rare, and it took me a couple of searches to find it.

Thanks again, Dan...had a bad day today, and you just lifted me back up again! :bg:

Doug
I have met, Paul Zennon,Shahid Malik,Mark Wilson,Greg Wilson,Franz Harrary,Bob Fitch,Boris Wilde,Billy Mcomb,Jason Latimer,Paul Daniels,John Calvert,Channing Pollack,Jay Sankey,Max Maven,Eugene Berger,Derren Brown,Duane Laflin,Mark Leveridge,Hale & Pace well there comedians but there comedy is side splitting,Ali Bongo,Danny Archer,David Penn,John Gordon,Paul Gordon,Ken Dodd,Terrt Herbert,Terry Seabrooke and Tommy Wonder that is all I can think of at the moment.

Luke
Dougini, Brad Christian posts in this forum? Under what name, because I don't remember seeing him post I don't think. You've met lots of people, not me, not yet anyways, thanks, Ed, (Eddini).
Hi Ed!

Yeppers, Brad is a member here, he IS a new user, and does not post here much, I last PM'ed with him on Fri, Mar 26th, and let him know how much I appreciate his teaching style.

He is one of the best, IMO, if you are new to card magic.

I HAVE met lots of people, but have VERY few friends to speak of. I find I have more friends here in the Cafť' than I have in life! Ha! How's that for irony?

Wish I could meet you guys, hang out with ya, trade ideas, go for Thai food and levitate for the wait staff!

Ed, you're pretty close to my old neck of the woods, as I lived in Maine for 20 years, before I was sent to Siberia...oop, I mean Florida! Lonely place down here.

Not many magicians in SW Florida, anyway. I have a couple of buddies, but our work hours conflict. I just traded with one guy, and have a BUNCH of new material (VHS tapes and DVD's) that I watch by myself.

He's trying to trade me for my Dan Harlan stuff, but I'm not giving that up for ANYTHING! In fact, I plan to buy the DVD set "Mindbogglers", as I have all the rubberband VHS tapes already. My friend's not gettin' those, LOL!

I would have LOVED to meet Dai Vernon. He was the inspiration for a lot of people. Mike Ammar is so lucky to have studied under him as well as Bruce Cervon. I envy those guys...

Doug
Doug, Florida is NOT Siberia! Well, not completely....

Hell, down here in Key West, we have way more magicians than an island this small probably should. If you ever get down here, drop me a line. Not sure about the Thai food, but we are always up for sushi!

:-)

Alan

P.S. Dan, don't know if you are going to take this as a compliment or not (it is meant as one), but Card-Toon is a trick I bought a while back at Tannen's....and probably left to collect cobwebs. HOWEVER, it is one of the ones collecting dust that I am kicking myself in the butt to actually start doing. (See, it is a compliment. I told ya!)

A.G.
Having been in magic for 30 years so far. I have met several and "hung out" with a good many of them such as Alan Ackerman, Daniel Cross, Alan Alan, Roger Klause, Slydini, to name just a few.
There is a magician named Alan Alan?

He not only spells his name correctly, but does it twice?

Okay, I have never heard of the guy or what he does or seen him perform, but I already like him a whole **** of a lot!

(Oddly, I have met James James...go figureÖ.)

:)

Alan
Now are you talking about met, as in "I shook his hand once"? Or someone you keep in contact with (or wish to)? I've met:

Docc Hilford
Kenton Knepper
Penn & Teller
Mac King
Cellini
Tim Ellis
Sue Webber
Aldo Colombini
Fielding West
Amazing Johnathan
I will be meeting Andre Kole Tuesday

I have chatted with and e-mailed/been e-mailed by many more.

I would like to meet:

Dan Harlan & Whit Haydn - two brains I would love to pick!
Karl Norman
Ed Newman
Karl Haist
Karl Weisinger
Ray Mertz
Don Alan
Eddie Fechter
Frank Garcia
Jay Marshall
Phil Goldstien
Jerry Andrus
Obie
Just a few that I was truly lucky to know and share a drink with at The Forks Hotel in Buffalo NY back when it was there and in its last heyday. I consider myself lucky and privileged, honored, etc. to have been a part of that for a few golden years.
Max Maven
Ton Onosaka
David Copperfield
Tina Lennert
Mike Caveney
Paul Potasi
Sorcar The Great Sr.
Harry Blackstone
Jonathan Pendragon
Fukai
cyril

and of course the wonderful magicians here in the Cafť'

Rannie
I have met

Franz Harary
Here's my list:

I've hung out with Mark Salem, Greg Wilson, and James Randi.

I've had dialogues online with Jonathan Pendragon (one hell of a nice guy, and gave me some fantastic advice), and engaged in heated debate online with Max Maven.

And (although he's not a magician, it pays to mention), in my comedy club days I opened for Andrew Dice Clay.

Avi
Well, let's see.

Many years ago, as a child, I met some magic notables such as Frank Garcia, James Randi and Slydini.
I had a cousin that was pretty plugged into the magic community and he was a source for a lot of these introductions.
In 1976 I remember meeting Dai Vernon somewhere in New Jersey.
Herb Zarrow had him over during a lecture tour and fortunately I was able to attend.
He was a pip!
I remember him being a very gracious and classy person who was willing to give what limited time he had to anyone that asked for it. And this was difficult since there were quite a few people attending that lecture.
He signed my "Dai Vernon Book Of Magic", as well as a Black And White photo.
I also remember him making a comment on the suit I was wearing.
It was a bright blue, kind of flashy and it really stood out. Especially on someone over 6'2".
I think he liked it but asked where I worked as most places of business probably would have objected to the color at the time. Not exactly conservative.
I explained that later that evening I was doing some Close Up at a Bar/Restaurant on 1st Avenue in Manhattan.
Thank God he did not ask to see anything!!!

It was a great encounter and one that I will remember for a very, very, long time.

Take Care,

Vincent :die: :magicrabbit: :die:
I have met:

Lance Burton
Teller
Mac King

Shane Wiker

I also just met Jeff McBride. I was called on stage to help with his cut and restored rope routine. I also got to meet him after the show. Wow, what a great show. Who else here has seen his show?

Shane Wiker
I met Penn Jilette at a New Tek Christmas party. I wasn't around for any tricks he might of done, but he did "steal the show" with some of the filthiest versions of common jokes I had ever heard. To this day, my wife just cringes when he comes on TV.

Deerbourne
I met Mark Setteducati, David Costi, Bob Sheets and Andre Kole. Mark has a cool looking business card and Bob gave me a regular one the magic way.
Hmmm! In no alphabetical order (living and dead):

From my Chicago days-

Jay Marshall, Frances Marshall, Vic Torsberg, Dorny, Bruce Bernstein, Tommy Edwards, Don Alan, Ed Marlo, Eugene Burger, Jack Pyle, Billy Bishop & Ann(e), Glenn Bishop, Buddy Farnan, Jack Kodell, Jimmy "Cards" Molinari, Bill Malone (Pre-fame and skinny), Heba Haba Al, Celeste Evans, Dave Solomon, J.B. Brash...!

Elsewhere-

Al Goshman, Trevor Lewis, Petrick & Mia, Aldo Colombini, Peter Kersten, Manfred Thumm, Meir Yedid, Martin Nash, Michael Ammar, Neil Foster, Hank Moorehouse, Harry Blackstone Jr. (Ah, the conventions where people would mistake me for him), Doc Eason (My illegitimate evil twin), Terry Seabrooke, Billy McComb, Ken Krenzel, Harry Lorayne, Ricky Jay, Will Rock, Vito Lupo, Tommy Wonder, Mike Rogers, Roger Klause, Kikuchi, Gene Gordon, Norm Nielsen, Marvyn "Mr. Electric" Roy & Carol, Gene Anderson, Stan Allen, John Booth, Bev Bergeron, Peter Tappan, Tom Ogden, John Todman, Daryl (when he was Martinez), Bill Larsen, Ali Bongo, Stan Kramien, Abb Dickson, Rocco...I think that's enough name dropping for now. I could go on and yes I did meet them all, most more than once.

Cheers! ;)
Years ago I wrote a letter to Doug Henning when he was performing here on Long Island. I told him I was going to be at his show and asked if he would meet me. I didn't think it would come to anything, but his secretary calls me the morning of the show and tells me to meet her up at the stage after the show is over. She brought me back to the dressing area and two minutes later in walks Doug Henning. I thanked him for taking the time to talk to me and we started to talk shop. At the time I was building a shadow box. We talked about its design and he proceeded to give me several ideas for design improvements. He took a hanger from a dry cleaners and put a couple of quick sketches on it and signed it. I've still got the hanger with his sketches, but I no longer do the shadow box in my show. All I can say, is that Doug Henning was a true gentleman that evening.
LOL am I the only one that got Johnathans comment on page one....NAME DROPPING..... LOL I think that learning is way more important than talking about who you know or who you met. I learned a long time ago that people are people no matter what they do for a living. Just my two cents......
There are a lot of magicians I have met (as in shook hands at a lecture) but the only 2 "names" I have spent time talking to was Samuel Patrick Smith (online) and spent a wonder 3 or 4 hours talking magic with Martin Nash at PCAM when it was here a couple of years ago.
True story, in 1991 I was in Orlando and went into a local magic shop where I just missed the Pendragons, In November 1996 I went to Tannens and found out I just missed them again, but they performed at John Harms Art Center in Englewood N.J. I bought a ticket and bought a program and finnally met them, in the city of my birth. It was so cool. One good thing about Mr. Pendragon was when someone wanted to take a picture he told them hold on until they were done signing autographs, this made the line move faster. I really appreciated that.
Since I never been to a magic convention they are the biggest stars I have met. I have been to a lot of wrestling conventions and have met a ton of wrestlers, some nice, some not.
Thank you for your time.
Rocco, Barry Mitchell.......technically I haven't met, but I stood right next to
Ali bongo
Message: Posted by: Jessie Altamirano (Jul 29, 2004 12:15AM)
I once met Johnny "ACE" Palmer. We sent emails back and forth to each other, then we met at a restaurant. He gave me his Trilogy of Magic video set. A really nice guy.

Jessie
I've worked with Franz Harary on a video shoot...

Nice guy...

;)
The only famous guy that I've sort of met is David Copperfield. And it's really a stretch to say I met him, since we didn't speak. But I was within about three feet of him, so that ought to count for _something_.

If there is one magician I want to meet some day before I die, though, it is Paul Harris. Supposedly he lives this nomadic lifestyle sauntering all over the country doing magic. I wish he would saunter on out to Jasper, Alabama someday. I haven't noticed anybody saying they've met him. If anybody has met him or knows him even casually, would you please e-mail me? serling307@yahoo.com

I just admire him more than any other living magician.
[quote]
On 2004-04-03 06:39, silverfire9 wrote:
[quote]
On 2004-04-02 19:52, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

[/quote]

This may be a stupid question, but ... what else would you meet them as, if not people? Aliens? Monsters? Plants? :P
[/quote]

I think Jonathan meant that simply listing the names of people we've come in contact with is somewhat arrogant and unimportant. Meeting them as people should be our real goal; if we commoners talk to these famous names, it should be to learn from and interact with them, not to brag to our buddies later on.
Living in Las Vegas allowed me to meet many favorites...but I was never able to "hang out" with them.

I did meet Alan Alan in London at the Magic Spot in 1986. It was a rainy day (duh) and I was able to hang out with him for nearly six hours, just the two of us. I was fairly new to magic and he knew it (!) He kindly shared with me A LOT of things. One of the most soft-spoken men I have ever met.

Before I left the Magic Spot, he showed me a C/S transpostion that absolutely STUPIFIED me. The transposition took place between his and my hand. Silver in my hand -- copper in his. Then...POW! Call 911...and get the AED...

The transposition didn't use any of the methods that you may be thinking now. At the time it had just been published.

I begged...but he wouldn't tell me ANYTHING about it. Not the name, not the publisher, NOTHING. I left the store a wiser man.

It took me 10 years to find it.

I'm glad I met Alan Alan.

Patrick
Stan Allen (Magic Magazine and my former magic shop owner)
Michael Weber
Mark Kalin
Mike Caveney (Linking Coathangers Fame)
Duane Laflin
David Hira
CJ Johnson
David Ginn
Sammy Smith
Steve Taylor
Dave Dee
Eugene Wilkes
Michael Ammar
Petrick & Mia
Chris Carey

Martin :pirate:
Message: Posted by: Dr_Stephen_Midnight (Aug 21, 2004 06:22PM)
Lesee...
In person:

Lester Lake
Del Ray
Ronald Haines
George Kirkendall
Nick Niberco (sp?)
David Copperfield
Andre Kole
Doug Henning
Mike Griffin
Eugene Burger
Max Terhune (ventriloquist)
Ginger Corte (hypnotist)
Sylvia Brown (psychic)

Phone,letter or e-mail correspondence:

James Randi
Steve Baker
Norm Bigelow
Chas Ruben (Rubini)
Sidney H. Radner
Joe Schreck
Max Maven
Mario Manzini

Non-magic meetings:

Bob Braun
Larry Smith (puppeteer)
Dick Von Hoene (aka The Cool Ghoul)
Jim Scott (DJ)
Al and Wanda Lewis (local kid-show legends)
Kurt Vonnegut
Joseph Heller
Allen & Beatrice Gardner (Washoe experiment)
Ed "Big Daddy" Roth
Ray Harryhausen
Bob Burns (Tracy the gorilla on "Ghostbusters")
Chris Walas
Tom Savini
Mart Nodell (creator of the golden age Green Lantern)
Dave Cockrum

Steve
Let's see ...

International:
Michael Ammar (Workshop translation and small talk)
Daryl (Fetching him from the hotel, lecture translation and a LOT of small talk - on his side)
Aldo Colombini (Lecture translation and small talk)
Aaron Fisher (Lecture translation and small talk)
Lee Asher (Lecture translation and hanging out until 1:30 a.m. - boy was I tired!)
Rich Marotta (Lecture translation and small talk)
Danny Archer (Lecture translation and small talk)
Gregory Wilson (Lecture translation and dining)
Carl Andrews (Fetching him from the hotel, lecture translation and small talk)
Petrick & Mia (Lecture translation and small talk)
Martin Lewis (Lecture)
Joshua Jay (Lecture translation and small talk)
Boris Wild (Lecture translation and dining)
Charles Gauci (Lecture translation and small talk)
Jarle Leirpoll (Lecture translation and small talk)
Christoph Borer (Excellent mentalist from Switzerland; Lecture and dining)
Paul Potassy (Lecture)

German:
Ted Lesley (Maybe I should have put him under "International"; Saw his show and small talk)
Joro (Lecture)
Felix Farell (Lecture and small talk)
Christian Knudsen (Lecture and small talk)
Pit Hartling (Lecture and small talk)
Helge Thun (Lecture and small talk)
Disk Losander (Lecture and small talk)

So much for name dropping ...
Well, I haven't had the chance to meet a lot of big-name magicians (yet) but I have met a couple. I had dinner with Jamy Ian Swiss, Michael Chaut, and John Cassidy. There were more people at the dinner, but they weren't as big name, and I don't remember them as well.
I also worked a festival with Rick Smith Jr., the world record holder for card throwing. He's a friend of a friend, and we've talked a couple times after that.
Met Shawn Farquhar on a cruise and hung out with him a few times to talk magic....

Also met Gazzo after one of his street shows...he was the one who told me about the Cafť...
[quote]
On 2004-04-02 18:16, cardguy2 wrote:

I was just wondering what well known magi that you guys have met and/or hung out with?
[/quote]

Rather than merely recite names of performers why not do as Cafť V.I.P. Dan Harlan did and actually describe their interactions with the performer? It would make, I think, for a much more interesting and enjoyable thread!
Yigal (creator of Loops)
Aldo C.
Michael Close
Troy Hooser
Jason Latimere

Others, I'm just not sure now...

-Joel
Message: Posted by: Dr_Stephen_Midnight (Sep 21, 2004 06:36PM)
Almost forgot:

e-mail correspondence with Karl Bartoni, who runs the Dragonskull bizarrism website, and who duplicated Murray's straitjacket escape inside a cage of lions.

and letter & phone contacts with the late Prynce Wheeler.

Steve
Wow, did I have fun reading through this post. So many wonderful stories. I really like Dan Harlan's about Copperfield. Nice.

I've met Copperfield a few times. Nice guy to quick chat with, but never had the change to really sit down and talk with him. I'm sure he has a lot to share if someone could snag his time. Along with David I met Chris Kenner. What a nice (crazy) guy. Not to mention Homer Liwag too.

I could go on and on with a list, but my most memorable meeting was with Marshall Brodien. I was invited to his house for a Sunday afternoon. It was amazing. Not only because I grew up watching him on the Bozo show, but I also remember when he performed the Temple of Benares on the show. That was one of the first illusions I saw, which made the magic bug bite me even more. So, image my surprise when Marshall gave me a tour of his basement based museum and there is Jack Gwynne's Temple! I had to touch it :)

After looking through the old Houdini artifacts, and collectibles he has, he told a lot of stories about Bozo, growing up in Chicago, and how he started TV Magic Cards. It was one of the most memorable magic meetings of my life.
Lance Burton
Mac King
Martin Lewis
Darwin Ortiz
James Randi
Peter Kane
Terry Seabrooke
Michael Ammar
Daryl
Davide Costi
Aldo Colombini
Paul Wilson
David Berglas
Max Maven
Dan Garrett
David Acer
Richard Kaufman
Jeff McBride
David Roth
Alex Elmsley
Bob Fitch
Chris Korn
Hiya, Magi:

The Ring to which I belong (313) has had some incredible lecturers over the last couple of years, including Martin Lewis, Kevin James, Jeff Martin, Whit Haydn, and Losander. (Lennart Green, though not officially lecturing, was present one evening as well.)

Witty, charming, engaging...in a word, Magical, the lot of 'em (to see Losander work the Zombie is simply to believe in Magic again). But what struck me the most about these guests was their incredible warmth and graciousness towards even a Magical fumbler...me, for instance!

Leland Edward Stone
I'll update my list now:
Who I've Met:
Barry Mitchell
Steve Varro
Chad Long
Rocco
Adrian Van Vactor

Who I"ve Seen Seen:
David Copperfield
Gazzo
Most Genuine guy who couldn't do enough for you

-Michael Finney

Also very Impressed meeting-A true Gentlemen & very witty

-Michael Ammar

Best Childrens show advice & meeting-

David Ginn
Shawn Farquhar
Me- I'll have to travel a heck of a lot more.
Not in any order:

Scott Interrante
Seth Kramer
Eric DeCamps
Johnny Thomson
Banacheck
Criss Angel
Chris Capehart
David Kaye (Silly Billy)
Marc Desousa
David Roth
Paul Harris
John Farrentino
Bob Freidhoffer
Ken Kranzel
Doug Edwards
Penn and Teller
The Amazing Jonathan
Lance Burton
Bob Elliot
Bob Dorian

Some of these guys I see on a regular basis. Some I have met once or a twice and had some interesting conversations.
Oh I left off a couple:
Aldo Colombini
Todd Robbins
Jaimmy Ian Swiss
Michael Chuat
Paul Wilson
Meir Yedid
Oz Perlman
David Oliver
Duldini
and a bunch more...
I'm pretty yound so I've only met 1 magician, David Copperfield. I met him at the end of a live performance, he came out into the crowd at the end of his show and went from person to person and talked with me and my family for a while.I hope I'll get to meet some others.

Chrix
Hey, How come nobody listed any female magicians? Like Juliana Chin, Arian Black, Luna Shimada. They are really good magicians too.
smagic
Timothy Drake
Ryan Joyce
Greg Frewin
Captin Corbin
Sam Pearce
Claude Haggerty
Joan Ceasar
Kevin Skipski
Timothy Drake
Ryan Joyce
Greg Frewin
Captin Corbin
Sam Pearce
Claude Haggerty
Joan Ceasar
Kevin Skipski
Mr.Bill
But at least you met them twice!

- entity
Any one else?
[quote]
On 2006-07-11 15:24, smagic wrote:
Hey, How come nobody listed any female magicians? Like Juliana Chin, Arian Black, Luna Shimada. They are really good magicians too.
smagic
[/quote]

I haven't met any famous magicians unless you count waving to David Blaine in his box.

Juliana Chen is really good, and very beautiful.
OK, Michael Ammar is from the same town as my father. It is a small town on the VA/WV line, and I have met Hannah and him a few times. He also lectured for our ring.

I met Dan Harlan at SCAM a couple of years ago. Dan is a brilliant thinker, and a brilliant performer as well.

I met Joe Givan & Carol Massie at our convention here in east Tennessee. Another brilliant mind in Joe, and both wonderful performers. I also met Gene Anderson, Jeff McBride, Abbi Spinner, Ardan James, Ayala & Tonia, Steve Bargatze, Aldo Columbini, Bill Pryor, General Grant, Simon Lovell, Tom Jones & Rachel Wild, Joe Mogar, Paul Gertner, Michael Finney, Tom Craven, Scott Hitchcock, Fukai & Kimika, Steve Beam, Tony Chapek, Michael Eaton, Bob Bengal, John Tudor, Matthew David Stanley, Jessica, Shayna & Mandy Reed, Yegal Mesika, JC Doty, Joe Turner, Barry Mitchell, and some others at our convention as well.

I know Terry Evanswood, an absolutely brilliant performer and world class illusionist who performs locally (for me) in Pigeon Forge, TN.

From other conventions I have met Losander, Tommy Curtain, Eugene Burger, Charlie Frye, David Williamson, John Carney, Tim Conover, Yumi, Lu Chen, John Born, Dan Sperry, Dakota Rose, Jeb Hostetler (1973 IBM closeup champ), Tim Sonefelt, Robbie Moreland, Roger Louvin, Bob Sanders, Steve Bender, Jason Michaels, John Pica (AKA Big Daddy Cool), Lance Johnson, Harry Allen, Lee Asher, Bev Bergeron, Junge Junge, Fantasio, Mick Ayers, and some more, I am sure.

From my local rings I know Scott Cantrell, Tom Vorjahan, Mike Messing, Bob Knigge, Dave Vaught, and former IBM President Michael Stratman.

I have emailed dozens of others.

But my greatest meeting was with Johnny and Pam Thompson. My son and I were their personal assistants for a weekend, and I worked backstage with Pam during their act, loading and unloading doves and props. During Johnny's closeup act he called me up to be the volunteer for his Vernon impersonation. After the shows, he was generous with his time, teaching me whatever I asked. As a result, I have 2 lifetime friends that I will always cherish. My son stayed with them when he was in Vegas for McBride's class.....he slept in the spare bedroom. Johnny is truly the greatest card magician alive, and I consider him my biggest mentor, and they are the kindest people that I have ever met. That is the real magic....

Scott Compton
Oh yeah, I met Copperfield 18 years ago after a show in Richmond, VA.

And Dave Mann is my local magic dealer, and a legend with the dancing cane.

Scott
I met Brad Christian at a David Blaine book signing.

He signed Brad's boob.

Rob
One of the great things about living here in the S.F. Bay Area is the California Magic Dinner Theater in Martinez Ca. they bring in some of the best and most entertaining acts from all over the world for weekend Dinner Shows, and I have met many of my favorite performers and spent some quality time getting to know them as people and not just performers I look up to. those include Losander, John Carney, Dana Daniels, Aldo Columbini, Martin Lewis, Mike Caveney & Tina Lenert, Dan Sylvester, Raphael Benitar, Daryl, and this is just a few of the over 50 different performers who have performed there. I have been able to spend time with getting to know them and pick their brain a little and it has been very rewarding.
If you are in the Bay Area and don't take advantage of this great oppotunity to see and meet these leaders in our industry then you should have your head examined.
IMHO Rich
Lance Burton - met twice at a magic meeting in Las Vegas. One of the nicest people in the business.
Chris Capeheart - bumped into him while he was doing street magic in Chicago on the day he was to do a lecture at Magic, Inc. A really nice guy!
Nathan Kranzo - met at his lecture at Magic, Inc. A creative and funny fellow.
Michael Ammar - met twice at lectures in Chicago and tried to work out a couple of other things regarding some shows that I needed some people for as well. One of magic's greatest teachers and a genuinely kind and giving person.
Charlie Schulein - a master of bar and table magic if ever there was one.
Jimmy "Cards" Molinari* - we worked together at Mr. C's Magic Lounge in Berwyn, IL for about a year. One of the BEST card mechanics I've ever seen.
Bill Malone* - Worked with him, though we only met a couple of fleeting times while I was there, at Little Bit of Magic on Chicago's SouthWest Side. THE MAN!
Jeff McBride* - An old and dear friend, I MC'd for him at a festival and... well, ask him about it...
Moondaka - we met at several of the Invocationals. A VERY arresting performer.
Tony Andruzzi*^ - Maskelyn ye Mage, Editor of the New Invocation Magazine and Sorcerer Supreme - and a man I am proud to call my friend and mentor in bizarre magick. He is sorely missed. We did a number of shows together, including a couple of, believe it or not, SCA events!
Allan Ackerman - met him at a Magic, Inc lecture. Very informative and a nice fellow.
Jay Marshall- I did business with Jay for almost 40 years an had the honor of leading the congregation in his last standing ovation at his funeral. What can you say about the Dean and his sidekick, Lefty? I miss you, Jay.
Marshall Brodien* - I worked at his magic shop at the Old Chicago Mall for about a year after leaving the Treasure Chest in Chicago.
Billy Bishop* - He was the manager of the shop and in Member Glenn Bishop's late father. A kind and gentle man who was one fantastic mage.
Terry Veckey - a friend and sometimes mentor in cards and close up, Terry used to come into the Treasure Chest regularly and share what he knew. A great guy!
Max Maven - the Maestro of the Mind! The most published magician in history and a superb teacher as well. I've met him several times at Magic, Inc and his genius level intellect, rapier-sharp wit and dazzling style is beyond compare.
Bruce Bernstein - longtime aquaintance.
Eugene Burger* - After knowing each other in passing for years, we finally worked a gig ealier this year. A wonderful performer and gentleman in every sense of the word.
Dai Vernon - I attended the legendary $1,000 lecture ans watched him, at 80, blow the socks off the best posted magicians in Chicago. Don't believe those who slam this legend - he had the moves and the style. I was there.
Richard Kaufman - we met briefly at a magic convention.
John Mendoza - we met at a Michigan Magic Day. Paul Huffaker and I took him to lunch. After we ordered, he stated, simply, "I don't talk magic at lunch." 'Nuff said.
Jay Sankey - I met this manic whacko at a Magic, Inc lecture and was stunned by his energy, humor and skill. When he steps out of his performance persona, he is a humble, kind and very easy going likeable man.
Tom Mullica - I met him first at an Abbotts, where he performed, then at a convention in Chicago. Skill doesn't begin to cover this guy, nor does the term gentleman.
David Roth - the coinmaster! I took his master class in Chicago a few years ago and learned a lot! He doesn't hold back the important stuff.
Michael Close - I men Mr. Close briefly at a magic convention in Chicago about 20 years ago wher he was selling his first book. His demonstration of the Pothole trick still sends shivers down my back.
Simon Aronson - I've met Mr. Aronson several times at Magic, Inc lectures and club meetings. He's a quiet, easy-going man who really, really knows what he's talking about.
Steve Dacri - another Magic, Inc lecturer.
Max Toth - I've met Max several times at the National Guild of Hypnotists conventions.
Kardor the Grate - The hysterical mentalist/comedian who had us all in stitches at the Invocationals. Robin DeWitt is a genius and a very, very funny man.
Johnny Platt - the first person I ever saw do the large load finale to the cups and balls at the Gaslight Club in chicago, when I was a kid. It blew me away and helped cement my life's direction.
Karrel Fox - I met him while working at Max Ettinger's magic shop at Telegraph and 10 Mile in Southfield, MI. a class act the whole way.
Dennis Loomis - I met Mr. Loomis several times through IBM Ring 210 when I was a member, and later President (though I was ill through most of my tenure in office, I admit). A very solid performer and member.
Franz Harary - Franz was also a member of Ring 210 and, at 13, won 2nd place at Abbotts that year with a COMEDY routine, producing rubber chickens! We were all on the floor over the routine, too!
Hank Moorehouse - Hank ran a small, 2nd floor walkup magic shop above Campus Bike & Toy where I would later run a roll playing shop. a wonderful kid's performer and organizer.
Jules Lanier - I met Jules when he was on the committee that reviewed my audition to join the Magic Castle back in the mid 1970's... along with Vernon, I might add... he introduced me to something called "Apache Coffee that night... take my advice - avoid this stuff!!! A VERY nice guy... but don't play darts with him for money, either...
Dorney - the chairman of the Chicago Round Table was a fixture when I was first showing up at Ring 43 meetings at the chicago YMCA.
Jose de la Torre - translator of the Ascanio book on the color changing knives, he came into the Treasure chest one afternoon, looking to sell us some of the books for the shop. While waiting for the owner, he was kind enough to give me a 2 HOUR FREE magic lesson in manipulation! I am still deeply in his debt for that!
Arnold Furst - also came into the shop, for the same reason, to sell us copies of his book for our stock. A stage hypnotist and magician of some note.
Joe Palen - A Chicago trade show specialist from back in the days (the 60's and 70's). I met him several times at Magic, Inc.
Eddie Tullock* - Mr. Tullock and I shared a lunch break at a COMDEX trade show where we were both working at the time. He was VERY kind to me as the "new kid" as he put it.
Milbourne Christopher - stopped in the Treasure Chest for some flash paper. My back was to him as I was stocking a shelf at the time, balanced on a ladder and asked if he was a professional, as the policy was that we only sold flash paper to pros. His reply was, "Well, I'd better be, I'm Milbourne Christopher!" followed by a chuckle, sent me careening into the shelves, dumping product all over the place!

* indicates that I worked with or at a show with this person at one time or another. The others I either met briefly of, like Jay Marshall, knew pretty well over a long period.

^ indicates that this person actually published my stuff at oe time or another.

Thee are LOTS of others, but it's late, I'm tired and I have a gig tomorrow and then a VERY early flight on Thursday...

Lee Darrow, C.H.
Well ive met greg frewin again along with Johnnie Blaze!
What's with all the name-dropping?!
[quote]
On 2006-08-23 16:25, Alex Linian wrote:
What's with all the name-dropping?!
[/quote]

Just something to do, I guess. I contributed many threads ago, but Lee (see 2 above) stomped me into a mud hole. Oh well, I 'm an Old F*rt who has probably forgotten more than I listed.

FWIW

Cheers! ;)
Kostya Kimlat, David Oliver, John Born, Seth Kramer, Banachek, Criss Angel, Marc DeSouza, and Jamy Ian Swiss.

Cody
Met Banachek at a college show in Feb'06; really friendly dude
[quote]
Oh well, I 'm an Old F*rt who has probably forgotten more than I listed.

[/quote]

You can say Flirt here Stanyon.

Rob
Slydini was at Tannen's when I bought my paperback of Hay's "The Amateur Magician's Handbook." He talked to me about the fact that he was the "hands" in the shots.

I also met Randi there.

My favorite though was being at a local "watering hole" in New York. The owner knew both my wife and me and said an old friend who used to bartend there was visiting and would I like to show him something. Guy comes up, blows me away with a few things and says; "How you doing? I'm Derek Dingle."

I said to my wife later; "Oh yeah, they want me to show 'Derek Dingle' something! Why don't you just ask me to show Heifitz (sp) how to play 'Chopsticks!' "

(Oddly enough, the place was a favorite for my wife's office, she'd been there several times before me and had actually known Derek from when he was bartending... she had no idea he was a big name "magician's magician."
Met some more people this week

Aaron Delong
Kline
Tyler Wilson
Peter Mennie
Eric Buss
Ben Proudfoot
Joe Givan and Carol Massie
Peter Lograhn
Craig Douglas
Brian Roberts
Lee Asher
Shawn Fields
Aaron Fisher
Majinx
Magic Mike
Dave Mitchell
Dan Morrissey

and many more
Drat! I forgot to mention Greg Frewin, who was kind wnough to sit down with me in back at Magic, Inc and "talk shop" one afternoon! One heckuva nice guy!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
Lets see...
As being a teenager with no money, job, or car, I feel pretty proud of myself knowing that I've met a few of the big names. I havent been able to go to the lectures that I want, I havent been able to see the shows that I want, and I havent been able to attend the conventions that I want, but I've still met a few rather impressive people.

My father went to high school with Barry Taylor, and he used to take me to Barry's shop all the time when I was very very young. Once I became seriously interested in magic around age 14, I was reaccquainted with Barry. I ran into Al Cohen at his shop once. I attended the 2005 IBM Ring 50 Magi-Whirl and met Eric Henning, John Rogers, and Denny Haney.

That summer, my stepmom took me to Vegas for a few days where I got to talk magic with Mac King between shows. I met Jeff Hobson while he was performing as M.C. at the V - Ultimate Variety Show at the Aladdin. Later that evening, I [literally] ran into Morgan Strebler at the Bellagio. I met Joan Dukore (sp?) at Denny's shop, and went across the parking lot to meet the owner of Planet Mirth (was a bit of a jerk to me...so much for being Bozo the Clown's son).

This past summer I went to VA Beach for a week to hang out with Jack Shea and Randy Hermoso (Randy and I have been friends for a few years). Also saw Nick Tweedy for the second year in a row.

For my absolute favorite:
About a month ago at the Maryland Renaissance Festival, Gazzo made a 2 day appearance. Gazzo and I share a very close mutual friend (Randy Hermoso, as mentioned earlier). I got to talk with Gazzo for a little while (with a few other magicians who caught word of his presence) between shows(http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c167/JontonofSpades/Magic/).

This list seems very minor, but under the conditions of being a broke, car-less teenager, I'm pretty lucky.
Just my few cents...
~Jonathan
I met Don Wayne and Steve Freeman when I was a teenager in OKC. They have gone on (to California, of course), and up, in the field of magic, and they cover the spectrum from Copperfield TV illusions to the inner circle of Vernon. By the time both were 20, and still in Oklahome, they were both magical encyclopedias, and destined to be major forces in shaping magic. They shared many ideas, and these ideas formed and shaped my magic thinking for the next 30 years.
Derren Brown showed me a trick at Blackpool and for a few minutes I knew what it felt like to believe in magic again!! I learned more in that few minutes than I have in any magic lecture or from any book.
Well now ive met freddy Fusion, steven the great, danny hammill and of course doo doo the clown!
Many years ago before I got out of magic I got to spend a little time with Doug Henning at Al's magic in Washington D.C.. I also met and talked with Slydini.
I became involved in theatre production and worked with David Williamson for several years(he was the house magician)that was very wacky. When I moved to Memphis
about 14 years ago I met Harry Blackstone Jr. who was working a comedy club grand opening (really nice guy).
Shoot Ogawa, Gregory Wilson, Martin Nash, Pavel, and Scott Wells have all lectured at my Ring (Ring 16, Memphis). I was able to chat with them all afterwards. Shoot Ogawa, Gregory Wilson, and Martin Nash were all kind enough to join us all for supper after the lectures.

Dick Williams has been known to attend our ring lectures and meetings from time and got a chance to chat with him during the Pavel lecture.

Jim Surprise is a member of our ring I consider him to be a mentor of mine.
At the Magifest I've met quite a few magicians. But the one I got to spend a little time with during a lecture was Michael Ammar. I've also met Jason Born, Richard Sanders and Johnny "Ace" Palmer. Personal friends of mine are/were Carroll Baker and Justin Miller.

If only I could meet Penn & Teller or Lance Burton. That would really make my millenium! :)
In ventriloquism, Jeff Dunham.

A bigger question would be: How many of them gave you their autograph? I try to get autographs from as many magicians at magifest as I possibly can on the schedule of events. Not only does each signature remind me of warm, fuzzy, past experiences, but they make great collectors' items.
There are quite a few I have "met", if you want to count just having shaken thier hands or seen a lecture etc, but the ones that I have met often enough to have had an influence on me, would be:
Phil Thomas
Al Cohen
Barry Taylor
Denny Haney
Dave Roehmer
Bill Steinecker
Gene Gordon
Bob Sheets
Steve Spill
Scotty York
Howie Schwartzman
I have autographs from the following:

Derren Brown
Paul Daniels
Belinda Sinclair
John Carney
Mac King
Juan Tamariz
Mark Raffles
Jason Latimer
Norbert Ferre
Alex Elmsley - really treasure this one
Fay Presto
Roy Davenport
Marvin Berglas
Guy Hollingworth
Finn Jon
Max Somerset
Jamy Ian Swiss
Mark Shortland
Steve Cohen
Jeff McBride

Delighted to have met them all; vast majority were at the excellent Magic Circle Centenary London '05. Cheers

Chris
Geoffrey Buckingham, Bud Deitrich(sp), Arnold Furst, Gene Gordon (IBM#2..wow)(visited his shop in Buffalo and talked to him several times, Mike Ammar,
Dan Harlan, and many more...
Not quite as an impressive list as some but I've met: Karl Norman, Victor Trabucco, Brian Geer, Garrett Thomas, Max Maven, Alan Ackerman, Hank Moorehouse. Those are the biggest names that I know.
Although this thread is a little old, I thought I would add to it....my list is short anyways....lol.

Magicians I've met:

David Copperfield
Criss Angel
Joshua Jay
and Rick Smith Jr. - I use to live in Akron and we had a mutual friend who was also into magic...we use to spend Wednsdays at an Applebees in Cleveland sharing tricks and performing for the waitresses....ahh, the good ole days.
Too many to name here. I do have many pictures on a video flash player on my website!
Steve Johnson, Maury Greenspan, Ida Hayes (from the Professor Tsunami spook show days...), Elder Hans Weiss (a great clock manipulator out of Bad Homburg), Bob Hoagy, Alfred McMann, Reginald Kaye (out of London).
Hendoo, I recently heard that Elder Hans Weiss passed away, sometime before xmas I think. I don't know the details, but I understand his partner is looking for someone to adopt the props/act. I never had the pleasure of meeting, but since you did, I thought I'd mention it.

As for me, the last famous magician I met was Mark Wilson. His lecture at Magic, Inc was a great trip down memory lane, with several interesting stories. (Nani was there too, which was also great!) It was very nice to meet the man who really got me hooked on magic via his course.
Hi Gordon-
I am surprised that you know of Elder Hans. BUT with a name like Meyer you perhaps have some German connections. :)

Elder Weiss was a wonderful craftsman. The first time I meet him was back in the 80's. I was in Frankfurt, Germany on church related business. He gave a talk entitled "God's Chronometer". It was a lovely presentation about God and what he was doing to keep time. As part of his demonstration Hans manipluted little pocket watches that he himself had created. Very wonderful!

Sadly he did pass in early December of 2006. I was fortunate to have seen him in October prior. His partner Strom is looking to pass on the act and props as Elder Weiss had made that a wish of his. There is also a television clip from the late 60's of Hans doing his act on a children's show. Much like the clip of Fred Kaps blowing the bubbles. Are you familiar? The production is a little psychedelic but Hans is manipulating his watches. I am trying to get a copy. If you are interested pm me. I will try to share.

Magically-
Mary Jane
I've met some great guys and have had the pleasure of hanging out with them...i.e., drinks, dinner, just plain comraderie. Some that come to mind are...
Joshua Jay ( my college age daughter and Joshua became good friends and still email one another...she still thinks he's a hunk)
Bill Malone (great guy. Just as funny in person as he is on his DVD's)
Doc Eason (Doc would give you the shirt off his back)
Glen Gerard
Micheal Ammar
Mark Wilson and Nani
Dan Sylvester
Micheal Lair
Goldfinger and Dove
Stuart and Lori
Kevin King (a total blast)
Mike Finney
Jon Stetson
Tom Burgoon
I met all these guys when we had Houdini Days here in Wiscosnin. I performed strolling magic while they worked wonders on stage and in the close up tent.
Lou
I meet David Copperfield back in 2002 on a family trip to Las Vegas, My mom is a nurse and the health care she used to work for helped take care of Lance Burton's mother. so I know DC and I know Lance Burton through three degrees of seperation.
Takeshi Nemoto. Everything he does is flawless
Ive met to many to name... but the ones who stand out are...

Eugene Burger
Craig Karges
Lance Pierce and Roger Klause (in okc quite a bit)
Dan Harlan
David Copperfield
Don Wayne
Lance Burton
Lee Earle
Nathan Burton
Worked for Rick Thomas
Dave Williamson
Michael Ammar

Met many more but these are the ones I actually spent any time with. Some pushed me to be a great magician on stage, some showed me how not to act offstage..
I've certainly met a lot of magicians. We have a great magic shop and Ring that brings in solid lectures. I certainly can't match a lot of the lists posted here, but talking about whom we've met, only one stands out most strongly.

Eugene Burger.

Eugene was in town doing a lecture, and afterwards he and a small group of his friends were going out to dinner. I was invited to tag along. It was a real pleasure to be able to see him in action, even after a bottle of Chardonnay, and being able to ask him questions. The highlight of the evening though, when someone asked for advice on a trick he was working on, "Sometimes you have to kill the baby."
Working with Joe Stevens of Stevens Magic Emporium, more than I can count. What was great was having Jay Marshall and John Novak take me under their wings as mentors.

Bob Phillips
To name a few...

Aldo Colombini
Max Maven
Mike Caveney
Jay Scott Berry
Ton Onosaka
Iíve met Ďem all. The good, bad and the ugly. The famous and infamous. The heros and the villans, the legands and the losers, the profeesionals as well as the pretenders. Iíve met celebrities and psychopaths. Iíve been around for a long time (ok not that long, but since 1986). Iíve seen them come and seen them go.

Iíve met millionaires, misfits, con men and priests. Liars, cheaters, frauds and phonys. Iíve met smart people and those who take the Yellow bus to school. Iíve met dopers, drunks, addicts and insomniacs. Iíve met people who stay up all night and sleep all day, as well as those who work 96 hours per week. Iíve met people who donít even know what day it is.

Iíve met rock stars, movie stars, dry cleaners, cooks, crooks, teachers, doctors, lawyers and Indian chiefs. Iíve met the smartest person on the same day I met a person who I had no idea how he made it through the day.

No need to name names.

Until then, I look forward to meeting You, someday!

Peace -
Dan Sylvester, Mark Mason, Paul Cummins, David Regal, Arthur Trace, Daryl, Mike Powers, Nathan Kranzo, Sean Fields, God-handz, Joe Jesse, Keone Valdez, Luke Dancy, Obie Obrien. Each indvidual I actually sat and chilled with or had a coctail and jammed.
Bev Bergeron
Karl Norman
Ed Newman
Frank Garcia
Jay Marshall
Howie Schwartsman
Jerry Andrus
Al Goshman
Mike Baron
Gary Para
James Sherrill
Ray Mertz
Lou Gallo
Mike Gallo

ok some of these names are quite famous and others are people who left a serious impretion on me and my magic I feel lucky to have known and know each and every one of these guys.
Well... I've yet to meet myself and that's really the only person I really care to meet.

And I keep hoping that Jesus comes down to tell me that he exists.
Only one name sticks out as someone I had the pleasure of meeting in person..."Cellini".
[quote]
On 2006-08-02 16:04, Scott Compton wrote:
OK, Michael Ammar is from the same town as my father. It is a small town on the VA/WV line, and I have met Hannah and him a few times. He also lectured for our ring.

I met Dan Harlan at SCAM a couple of years ago. Dan is a brilliant thinker, and a brilliant performer as well.

I met Joe Givan & Carol Massie at our convention here in east Tennessee. Another brilliant mind in Joe, and both wonderful performers. I also met Gene Anderson, Jeff McBride, Abbi Spinner, Ardan James, Ayala & Tonia, Steve Bargatze, Aldo Columbini, Bill Pryor, General Grant, Simon Lovell, Tom Jones & Rachel Wild, Joe Mogar, Paul Gertner, Michael Finney, Tom Craven, Scott Hitchcock, Fukai & Kimika, Steve Beam, Tony Chapek, Michael Eaton, Bob Bengal, John Tudor, Matthew David Stanley, Jessica, Shayna & Mandy Reed, Yegal Mesika, JC Doty, Joe Turner, Barry Mitchell, and some others at our convention as well.

I know Terry Evanswood, an absolutely brilliant performer and world class illusionist who performs locally (for me) in Pigeon Forge, TN.

From other conventions I have met Losander, Tommy Curtain, Eugene Burger, Charlie Frye, David Williamson, John Carney, Tim Conover, Yumi, Lu Chen, John Born, Dan Sperry, Dakota Rose, Jeb Hostetler (1973 IBM closeup champ), Tim Sonefelt, Robbie Moreland, Roger Louvin, Bob Sanders, Steve Bender, Jason Michaels, John Pica (AKA Big Daddy Cool), Lance Johnson, Harry Allen, Lee Asher, Bev Bergeron, Junge Junge, Fantasio, Mick Ayers, and some more, I am sure.

From my local rings I know Scott Cantrell, Tom Vorjahan, Mike Messing, Bob Knigge, Dave Vaught, and former IBM President Michael Stratman.

But my greatest meeting was with Johnny and Pam Thompson. My son and I were their personal assistants for a weekend, and I worked backstage with Pam during their act, loading and unloading doves and props. During Johnny's closeup act he called me up to be the volunteer for his Vernon impersonation. After the shows, he was generous with his time, teaching me whatever I asked. As a result, I have 2 lifetime friends that I will always cherish. My son stayed with them when he was in Vegas for McBride's class.....he slept in the spare bedroom. Johnny is truly the greatest card magician alive, and I consider him my biggest mentor, and they are the kindest people that I have ever met. That is the real magic....

Scott Compton
[/quote]
Cool topic! I've "met" way too many to count. I'm counting meeting as "Hi, I really like your work." I've been lucky enough to hang out with some real "heavies" in a social situation. Maybe dinner, drink or just sitting down and shooting the bull. Highlights for me are...

Bowling with James Dimmare, Amazing Jonathan, and Chris Angel. (Dimmare is pretty good, Angel and A.J. cheat.)

Lunch with Daryl and Al Schneider. Man, I'll never forget that.

Sessioning with Alan Ackerman and Chris Kenner. (They did most of the work, I just sat and said wow. Alan insisted I do something, after I fumbled through one of my favorite routines, I got "the nod."

A few months ago on my birthday, I went to New York with another magic buddy to see Eric Decamps's one man show. The guest host that night, Bill Malone! We had spoken on the phone a few times, he actually critiqued my stuff and said some nice things, but this was our first meeting in person.

Pete Biro, I've been lucky enough to become friends with I'm over the last few years through WMS. Last year, I actually heckled him during a show and he loved it. Great guy.
Influential and notable magicians I have hung out with / met:

Steve Cuiffo
Bill Kalush
Daryl
Ben Stone
The Great Grebnellow
Eugene Burger
Mike Powers
Nate Kranzo
Joe Jesse
Ron Conley
Eric Jones
Cardone
Penn & Teller
Lance Burton
Amazizng Jonathan
David Roth
Paul Harris
Chris Capehart
Aldo Columbini
Eric DeCamps
Darryl
Rich Morata
Jonny Thompson
Banachek
Criss Angel
Simon Lovell
Pit Hartling
Manual Morte
Marc DeSusa
Bev Bergeron
John Ferrentino
David Oliver
Todd Robbins
Michael Chaut
Jamy Ian Swiss
Bruce Kelvar
Doug Edwards
Bob Elliot
Koysta Kimlet
Mark Mason
Mier Yedid
David Kaye (Silly Billy)
Magic Al Garber
Jay Scott Berry
Bob Sheets
Charles Greene III
Seth Kramer
Scott Interrante
Arthur Trace
Harvey Rosenthal
Scotty York
Karl Fulves
Bob Sheets
Steve Spill
Cy Keller
Howie Schwartzman
David Williamson
Al Cohen
David Roth
Jamie Ian Swiss
Martin Nash
Horace Bennett
Woody Landers
Seth Kramer
Darwin Ortiz
Richard Kaufman
Phil Thomas
Bro. Hamman
John Bannon
Mike Close
John Farrentino
Allen Hayden
Mike Gallo
Danny Tong
THis might get long, some of you might be impressed since I am only 14:
David Oliver
Le Grand David
Asi Wind
Todd Robbins
Peter Samelson
Michael Chaut
Franks Brents
Jamy Ian Swiss
Sterling Dietz
Richard Sanders
Fielding West
Lawrence Hass
Joshua Jay
SImon Lovell
David Roth
Roger Dryer
Steven Brown
Doug McKenzie
Chris Korn
Mike Super
David Kaye
John Born
Puck
Mac King
Scott Hithcock
Derren Brown
Dynamo
Ali Bongo
Katie Egleston (Online)
Chris Kenner (Online)
Ken Nrenzel
Herb Zarrow
Meir Yedid
Ryan Oakes
Kostya Kimlat
Seth Kramer
Doug Edwards
Marc DeSouza
Rick Thomas
Murray Sawchuck
Chris Capehart
Eric DeCamps
Penn Jilette
Kozak
Joseph Gabriel
Jon Cassidy
Angelo Carbone
Elliot Zimet
Al Schneider
Rocco
Marco Tempest
-Jesus
[quote]
On 2008-03-04 14:54, Alex Linian wrote:
-Jesus
[/quote]

I guess you got the trump card.
Jay Sankey
Richard Sanders
Shoot Ogawa
Hayashi
Garrett Thomas
Tyler Wilson
Aaron Fisher
Nathan Kranzo
Juan Tamariz
Doc Eason
Chris Korn
Lee Asher
Jason Palter
Peter Loughran
Boris Wild
Steve Beam
Zenneth Kok (every day, oops...)
Nash Fung (creator of the original Color Fusion, impromtu version)
Fukai (lecture 2 times)
Shoot Ogawa (3 to 4 times when he stayed in Hong Kong, much less in the last 2 years)
Aldo Colombini (2 lectures in total)
Richard Kaufman (one lecture, and one personal talk with him about the development of magic in Asia)
the late Tommy Wonder (Close up gala performance & lecture, I'll miss him forever)
Lee Asher
Michael Ammar (lecture, definitely a true master in magic)
David Stone (FISM 2nd runner up, micro magic)
Simon Lovell (lecture, and two hour with him at the bar, his lecture is so meaningful to young magic hobbists...)
Tim Ellis and his wife (Brilliant lecture, same impact to me as close to the late Tommy Wonder! Also inspiring story about the power of magic! FISM judge)
Aaron Fisher (We had a good time during convention, and I helped him out to look after his booth)
Rannie Raymundo (Brother of magia familia as he introduce me to his friends)
Carlos Vaquera
Christian Chelman

I think that's it :)
I could post a fairly long list but most memorable was last year in Vegas that superb gent known as Losander gave myself and magic bud 4 tickets for the worlds greatest magic show and then drove us and our wives out to Dinner. We had met up with Dirk whilst he was in the UK touring but his generousity and the night out with him made our Vegas trip even more magical, now I wonder what David and Lance are doing next year?
trafman
Dr.Diablo (who goes by other various stage names)
CHRIS KENNER!
Simon Lovell
In person:

Lester Lake
Del Ray
Ronald Haines
George Kirkendall
Nick Niberco (sp?)
David Copperfield
Andre Kole
Doug Henning
Mike Griffin
Eugene Burger
Max Terhune (ventriloquist)
Ginger Corte (hypnotist)
Sylvia Brown (psychic)
Stan Willis
Harold Rice's father

Phone,letter or e-mail correspondence:

James Randi
Steve Baker
Norm Bigelow
Chas Ruben (Rubini)
Sidney H. Radner
Joe Schreck
Karl Bartoni
Prynce Wheeler
Sheila Cannon
Docc Hilford
Forrest Ackerman

Non-magic meetings:

Bob Braun
Larry Smith (puppeteer)
Dick Von Hoene (aka The Cool Ghoul)
Jim Scott (DJ)
Al and Wanda Lewis (local kid-show legends)
Kurt Vonnegut
Joseph Heller
Allen & Beatrice Gardner (Washoe experiment)
Ed "Big Daddy" Roth
Ray Harryhausen
Bob Burns (Tracy the gorilla on "Ghostbusters")
Chris Walas
Tom Savini
Mart Nodell (creator of the golden age Green Lantern)
Dave Cockrum
Aldo Colombini
Chris Randall
Ken Simmons
Danny Archer
Well known magicians (and magicians I think worth mentioning) I've met...

Simon Lovell
Penn and Teller
Jeff McBride
Curtis Kam
Kainoa Harbottle
Allen Okawa
Lennart Green
Johnny Thompson
Kevin James
Doc Eason
Garrett Thomas
Oz Pearlman
Justin Kredible
Jimmy Yoshida
Bobby Acoba
Puck
Magick Balay
Dan Fleshman
Jeff Pierce
Richard Hucko (one of my best friends in magic)
George Wang

Now for magicians worth mentioning that I've actually hung out with outside a lecture or convention setting...

Bobby Acoba
Curtis Kam
Kainoa Harbottle
Justin Kredible
Richard Hucko
George Wang
Magick Balay

...I think that's it?
Penn & Teller
Lee Asher
Aldo Colombini
Aaron Fisher
The Pendragons
Whit Haydn
Jay Sankey
Rick Maue
Richard Sanders
Tom Mullica
Juan Tamariz
Steve Beam
David Ben
Oscar Munoz
Boris Wild
Chris Korn
Doc Eason
Christopher Carter
Eugene Burger
Howie Schwarzman
Michael Finney
Max Maven
Dan Tong
Harry Anderson
Arthur Trace
Daryl
Bizarro
Jonathan Levit
Silly Billy
Dan Fleshman
Justin Miller
Steve Daly
Mark Mason
Jay Scott Berry
Tom Craven
David Acer
David Copperfield
Bob Sheets
Docc Hillford
Joshua Jay
David London
Kozmo
Jimmy Molinari
Tom Gagnon
Geoff Williams

That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more.
Would Barry Williams count? For those of us old enough to remember the "Brady Bunch", he was "Greg". Sat at the bar and had drinks with him, watched Carrot Top on TV and showed him a card effect...my favorite, Las Vegas Leaper. He seemed entertained! Got his autograph for my daughter, who at the time was about 10.

Steve
Criss Angel, but I would love to meet something ''not so modern'' because I really don't like the way how Criss performs. Meetin Jeff McBride, or Lance Burton would be awesome!
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Nov 23, 2008 06:35PM)
I've met plenty, but the most notable are:

Jay Sankey
Richard Sanders
Oscar Munoz
Lee Asher
Aaron Fisher
Max Maven
Michael Weber
John Carney
Ricky Smith
Bob Sheets
Johnny Thompson
Stephen Minch
Jamy Ian Swiss
Asi Wind
Eric Mead
Roberto Giobbi
Shawn Farquhar
Juan Tamariz
Jason England
Over the years, I've been privileged to meet quite a few...but....

As a fourteen year old in asbolute awe of magicians period, I was able to spend several hours with Fred Kaps. This was at a Boston "Magicale" back in the 70's and he has one of the headliners. He did his FISM act, and his lecture included the Floating Cork and the Homing Card. The hotel rooms were not ready to be occupied that afternoon. Kaps bought me lunch and kept me company. He was as suave and debonair off stage as he was on. Is was and still is the most "magical" meeting of my life...

He became my role model, and to this day, a version of his Homing Card is in just about every performace I give. Check out the vidoes on You Tube to see a true master at work.

Br. Don
Kirby Van Birch , Copperfield , Mac King , Aldo Colombini , Gazzo , Aldo Colombini , Spoke to Eugene Burger and Whit Hayden on phone for an hour , Harry Blackstone Jr , Doug Henning , Joshua Jay , Mark Mason , Jay Sankey , Teryry Evanswood ,

One of my Mentors , The Late Lee Jacobs ( Pomeroy , Ohio)

and my true friends : Scott Compton , Jim Lee , Roman Lapree , Ron Conley , Michael Bairefoot , Aaron Stone , Genny Sanders , Chuck McDonald , Izzy , Terry Evanswood , Andrell Henry ( passed away 1-12-09)

Bought Michael Finney a Samuel Adams at Magi-Fest !!!!
Spent many saturdays at Tannen's and Ruben's Deli met Bob Elliot, Doug Edwards, Ken Krenzel, Sol Stone, David Roth, Jeff McBride, Rocco, Joe Mogar, Meir Yedid and many other great, great Magicians.
To name just a few:

Larry Jennings (fun times at the castle & sushi nights and days!)
Jerry Andrus (when he visited the Castle0
Arnold Furst (remember him? A great guy)
Howard Hamburg

And then many more, especially during the mid 70's (and onwards) at the Castle. Those were some fun days!
Rode in a van from Wichita, KS to St. Louis, MO with Michael Ammar. Had Jay Marshall and John Novak mentor me.

Bob Phillips
[quote]
On 2006-08-02 16:04, Scott Compton wrote:

Scott Compton
[/quote]

Scott,

The greatest part is that Scott admits that we met him too! There's no defense now! LOL

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- I'm looking forward to seeing you out on the road again too.
One more I forgot completely:

Billy Barty
Well met and talked to extensively are two diff things, I've met too many to list, but those that I've had more than an hour's conversation, maybe many hours would be (and just a few)...
Dai Vernon (played Hearts with all the time, Dai, Kuda, Hy Bird, me)
Bruce Cervon
Slydini (took lessons from)
Larry Jennings - Drank way too much with...
Shimada - Ditto....
Ricky Jay
Mike Skinner
Al Goshman
Max Maven
David Roth
Steve Freeman
Peter Pitt
Kuda Bux
Siegfried
Derek Dingle
Martin Nash
Richard Turner
Whit Hayden
Marvin Roy
Norm Nielsen
Goldfinger
Jonathon Pendragon
Michael Ammar
Darryl
Jay Scott Berry
Sen. Crandal
Johnny Platt
Fielding West
Jimmy Grippo
Bob Sheets
Steve Spill
Jules Lenier
Ron Wilson
Doc Eason
Stan Allen
Brad Burt
Bill & Milt Larsen
etc.........................
Gotta stop... dam there's so many more, been a performong member of the Magic Castle since 1975 and lived in the Hollywood area 8 years, drank with many... smoked pot with many, you know who you are ... :) This was sorta a blast from the past, I feel lucky to just know anyone on this list, many that I can call friends...some that I just can't call...cause they're dead...
[quote]
On 2008-03-04 14:54, Alex Linian wrote:
-Jesus
[/quote]

Martinez or Rodrigues?
My uncle's third cousin's best friend knew somebody that shook hands with Doug Henning's stage manager's wife's hair dresser.
Derren brown
Andy nyman
Docc Hilford
Banachek
Max maven
Shawn faquar
Flip
Owen darque
Geatan bloom
Luke jermay
Tommy wonder
Jeff McBride