(Close Window)
Topic: New Book: "Just For Fun" By Chris Barnes
AmazeKids has just released "Just for Fun" -- 300+ pages, nearly 40 routines. I was the head editor on the project and I predict that this will be the book of the year for kids magicians. Testimonials are already comparing Chris' originality and solid approach to kids magic to that of David Ginn, Mike Bent, Edwin Hooper, Silly Billy and more. Check out a 2 minute video of Chris talking about his book and see more details at https://www.amazekids.com/magic/magic-books/just-for-fun/

Please post your thoughts about Just For Fun here to help others in the magic community learn about Christopher T. Magician and his contribution to the children's magician's community.
Hi Danny,
Does this book contain material that is suitable only for young children? I ask because I am looking to for new materialthat will also fool adults. Thanks!
Hi Sparda:
The routines in "Just For Fun" are designed to appeal to audiences of children and their parents. Will they fool adults? Absolutely! The principles and methods on which the routines are based are sure-fire.

Your question: ***Does this book contain material that is suitable only for young children? I ask because I am looking to for new materialthat will also fool adults.*** needs clarification. If you're asking "Are the routines suitable for audiences made entirely of adults?" Then the answer is, "In most cases, NO." If you're asking, "Are the methods clever, so they'll fool and entertain adults who are watching the show with their children?" Then the answer is "decidedly YES"

I hope that helps. I suggest you go onto the www.amazekids.com site and download the free sample to help you make a final decision.
Thanks Danny for mentioning my new book on here! I'm so excited for how it turned out. Just for Fun is pretty much two decades in the making as many of the routines in this book have been in my shows for a looooong time. And www.amazekids.com put all of my thoughts and creations into a really beautiful product. I was so thrilled to get the first copy in my hands and see how professional it looked.

Sparda: Danny answered your question perfectly. Everything in this book is geared towards kid shows and family shows. A few items like Ice Ice Maybe, The Color Prize Game, and the Two-Headed Prediction I've presented for audiences that were majority adults and a few kids. Even in those situations, they worked beautifully. My goal with the routines in this book was to first and foremost focus on entertaining and wowing children. The adults for the most part enjoy the ride, but I think the presence of the children is necessary for most routines in the book.

I can't wait to hear what people think of the book when they get a copy.

Christopher T. Magician
If this is anything as good as your last book consider it a must have. I will be placing an order this weekend
Thank you Danny and Chris. I'm looking forward to getting this.
Thanks so much, Andy. Let me know what you think when you get it!
Wow! So humbled by what David Oliver (!!!) sent after reading an advanced copy of Just for Fun. Hope it's ok to post it here to share with all of you...

"After devouring his new book, "Just For Fun," it's quite evident that Christopher Barnes is a real-world worker in the kid-show arena. He has taken numerous plots, routines and ideas from his predecessors (Francis Marshall, David Ginn, Edwin Hooper, Sammy Smith, Mike Bent, Silly Billy and others), and given these routines and props a major, and much needed, modern makeover. I've already found two routines that will fit my own shows. He teaches you how to build the necessary props, without the need for a master workshop or power tools. If you do kid shows (...and we KNOW that you DO!), GET THIS BOOK! I guarantee it will become an often referred to selection, in your own working library. "
- David Oliver
Chris Barnes first book and DVD took my show to a whole new level. And that's no bull. Since incorporating many of his idea's I have been getting repeat business from libraries, festivals, and corporate events. He didn't just feed me fish, he taught me how to fish. What I mean by that is, although he shares many great and workable routines, he teaches you how to use props for different themes and routines.

I'm not sure what happen to his Secret Session video's, but they were extremely valuable as well.
[quote]On Apr 3, 2017, Danny Kazam wrote:
I'm not sure what happen to his Secret Session video's, but they were extremely valuable as well. [/quote]

I just emailed him and he gave me the links to it. He is very nice and easy to talk with.
It's possible that some people might not have been following Christopher's discussion threads and posts here on The Magic Café over the years, or maybe you haven't seen him at a lecture, and might not know who he is.

Here are a few links to serve as an introduction to Christopher T. Magician (Christopher Barnes):

Article #1: http://kidsentertainerhub.com/the-t-stands-for-with-christopher-t-magician-part-1/

Article #2: http://kidsentertainerhub.com/how-to-add-drama-to-kids-entertainer-shows/

Interview with Christopher, with links to his YouTube videos: http://partshowpartbusiness.com/2013/06/christopher/

DVD Set #1: https://www.amazekids.com/magic/birthday-party-magic/live-from-the-living-room/

Book #1: https://www.amazekids.com/magic/birthday-party-magic/beyond-look-dont-see-furthering-the-art-of-childrens-magic/

Book #2: https://www.amazekids.com/magic/magic-books/just-for-fun/

Some of these products are also available at other magic dealers, so do a search.

He also has a special Facebook group (closed), where he shares ideas and mentions new product releases (like his special coloring books), etc. He doesn't have an online magic store.

And don't forget to search the Magic Café for older threads and posts by Christopher (cwbny).

- Donald

P.S. Also, Christopher was recently a guest in Ken Scott's Column on "Birthday Party Business", in the current issue of Vanish Magic Magazine (issue #33, with Marty Putz on the cover): http://vanishmagic.com/

P.P.S. If you get the KIDabra Journal, he's shared several tricks and articles in that publication: http://www.kidabra.org/joinrenew-2

P.P.P.S. He is also known for lecturing at the KAX and KIDabra Conventions, but also has lectured at other conventions. I saw him at KAX 2016.
Hey Donald,
I just wanted to pipe in here for a moment and say thank you for all that you do for the Café. All this time you spend with links and information to make our lives easier is really appreciated by an old guy like me and I am sure by many others.
I have really liked Christopher's stuff and ideas for a quite awhile since I first found something on youtube of his. He has the birthday and kidshow thing down alright and hope this book does great for him.
Again, thanks for all your input to the magic community.
Regards,
Jef
I ordered mine.
[quote]On Apr 9, 2017, Jef Eaton wrote:
Hey Donald,
I just wanted to pipe in here for a moment and say thank you for all that you do for the Café. All this time you spend with links and information to make our lives easier is really appreciated by an old guy like me and I am sure by many others.
I have really liked Christopher's stuff and ideas for a quite awhile since I first found something on youtube of his. He has the birthday and kidshow thing down alright and hope this book does great for him.
Again, thanks for all your input to the magic community.
Regards,
Jef [/quote]
Thank you, Jef. It's nice to know my efforts are appreciated. :)

- Donald
I ordered mine too. I can´t wait. I love his first book.
Lots of good stuff. All dyi. Lot of pack small. Creative...customized inspiration. Resources you where to get stuff.... you read it and know he knows kids and there are so many ideas that even if you don't use it directly you will be able to adapt it into your own stuff.
I absolutely loved the first book because it really made me go back and re-look at the stuff that I haven't looked at for a long time. It also made me get my creative juices flowing again. So many times when I get comfortable with a show that I put together, I fight to stay excited. The book made me what to remind myself that I can should be working everyday to come up with new ideas. Chris's first book did that for me, and I will be ordering this one very soon!
Waiting for my copy.

Helder
I got Just for Fun and I'm really enjoying going through it. There is a lot of stuff in here that I am looking forward to adding to my show.
This is a great book. Full of practical magic that you can make. I have even started to let the kids try and make an effect. 7 year olds can do the craft work so I am thinking just about anyone can.
Great content...lots of originals and twists that party goers have never seen. I particularly appreciate the quality of the writing, editing, proofreading... BUT, THAT BEING SAID>>>

Am I the only one having trouble finding the illustrations referenced in "Color Prize Game" which begins on page 177? Realizing I'm getting older perhaps I'm just having one of those "moments," but I'm checking everywhere. It appears to describe a common "move," but would be nice to follow along with the instructions.
I had the same issue Stempleton. I thought the page was missing. I know " the move", so I didn't dwell on it, but I thought I had my first senior moment. I liked the the possible homage to the book "Open Sesame" by the first chapter.. I actually used that routine "Color Prize Game" this past Saturday when the mom texted
me(the day before),to do something special for a boy whos birthday that day.
Hey Steve. Unfortunately that is a mistake we discovered after printing. I decided to think of it as the collectible first printing! You can email me at christophertmagician@gmail.com and I'll send you pictures of the move for the color prize game.
Any chance we'll be getting a Kindle version in the future?
I just wanted to say I went through "Just For Fun" a few times and I really like it. It has some really great routines and clever thinking. My favorite so far is The Tiny Magician. I also performed Mccombical snack.
If you have the book what is your favorite routine?
Video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMXKt9q1mQI​

Just For Fun
Creator: Christopher T Magician
Publisher: Amaze Kids
MSRP: $ 40
Skill Level: all
Page length: 325

If you're looking for new routines for family entertainment, Just for Fun is a gold mine of new ideas. Christopher T. Magician combines techniques from classic close-up and parlor magic, with original props like ketchup bottles, stuffed animals, fake mustaches, and spaghetti. The result is fresh material for family shows that is contemporary, amazing, and hilarious. This hardbound book contains 325 pages of original routines. Most of the secrets rely on gimmicked props you probably own or can make inexpensively - and no power tools are necessary!

Fully illustrated by Finland's Martti Siren, Just for Fun has 50 new routines. Each one has been part of Chris's show ever since he was one of the busiest magicians in the greater New York City area. Before you've even finished this book, you'll be making a bunch of effects using tape, glue, spray adhesive, and photo paper along with lots of fun, novel items. Read about them below! The book details the scripts, handling and theory, so when you include these sure-fire routines in your set, you can be guaranteed that your young audiences will be laughing out loud.

Each chapter is packed with routines and performing advice covering a wide range of categories.

Video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMXKt9q1mQI​
I'm looking for one of the props for the routine Quarter Head in Just For Fun. It's a horshoe magnet that has a coin flip out on the edge of the magnet.Anyone know where I can find one? I haven't had any luck...
Hi guys, which book do you think is best to start with
1 be more funny.......or
2 just for fun
[quote]On Jan 3, 2019, pancho247 wrote:
Hi guys, which book do you think is best to start with
1 be more funny.......or
2 just for fun [/quote]

There's also "Beyond Look, Don't See" (book), and "Live from the Living Room" (DVD set).

- Donald
Just for fun... but get both lol