(Close Window)
Topic: You Know that Dream Where You...
...dream where you are in bed but can't get up because the blankets/sheets are nearly smothering you, and no matter how much you push/twist/pull the blankets keep caving back in? Oh, and you're hot which makes it worse?

Yeah, I had that one last night.

Usually if I'm on evening medication, or if I eat too late I have bizarre dreams.

Anybody else?
The most bizarre dreams I ever had was when I used the nicotine patches to quit smoking. Bizarre in a steampunk-ish kind of way. Not nightmares, mind you, but just plain bizarre.

When my wife was on the patch, she woke me up around 3 a.m. in the midst of her dismantling the shower door in our bathroom. I got up, ushered her back to bed, and left the door against the wall so she could see it in the morning. She didn't remember a thing.
Don't you hate when that happens?
[quote]On Apr 15, 2017, Bob1Dog wrote:

When my wife was on the patch, she woke me up around 3 a.m. in the midst of her dismantling the shower door in our bathroom. [/quote]

Lucky for you, you were still banging on your drums :)
[quote]On Apr 15, 2017, landmark wrote:
[quote]On Apr 15, 2017, Bob1Dog wrote:

When my wife was on the patch, she woke me up around 3 a.m. in the midst of her dismantling the shower door in our bathroom. [/quote]

Lucky for you, you were still banging on your drums :) [/quote]

Unadulterated genius.
I figure one out of a thousand gags has to eventually hit. ;)
I am completely medication-free. As opposed to my younger years, when my motto was “How high can you get?”

But when I binge-read espionage biographies, I sometimes dream of being chased by spies. Hurrying to get away, dodging though a labyrinth of city streets, but always on the verge of getting captured.
I have a lot of dreams where I'm in a car that has no brakes.
Ever had a "déjà vu" dream?
I've had repeat dreams... dreams where I realize I'm dreaming a dream I dreamt of a very long time ago.

Now, I've never dreamed of something and have it happen in reality; not counting those anticipation dreams of course.
As a young boy I had a handful of recurring nightmares. In one of them, I was seated at a long table with several other people. Everything in the room was red: the walls, the carpet, the tablecloth. Something was being passed around from person to person beneath the table. It was always a terrifying experience, and when the "something" was handed to me, I always woke up in a cold sweat.

Fast forward to one night in my late teens, when I found myself in an unfamiliar nightclub. I was sitting with several other people at a long table with a red tablecloth. There were red drapes on the walls, and the section in which I was sitting featured red carpeting. Under cover of the tabletop, something was being passed from person to person. It was a very intense and scary experience, because I was on the verge of a major turning point in my life ... about to enter the "dark side."

At the very moment when the "something" was finally handed to me, I experienced true déjà vu. I recalled my recurring nightmare from so many years ago. The reality of the scene: the room, the colors, the table, the people, the emotions, the situation ... everything was exactly like in my childhood dreams!
It is interesting that you dreamt about seeing the color red. A lot of people dream in black and white or a combination of both.

It is also interesting where your perspective is within the dream be it as the viewer or watching yourself.

I don't remember any dreams where the colors were vivid, or that I could differentiate. So I may dream grayscale.
Last night I dreamt I was a muffler on a car. And then I woke up exhausted.

Ron
[quote]On Apr 15, 2017, Salguod Nairb wrote:

I don't remember any dreams where the colors were vivid, or that I could differentiate. So I may dream grayscale. [/quote]

I'll never forget my Psych 101 professor reminding the class that sex dreams typically were in color. That was back in the mid-sixties, for what it's worth.
All my dreams have always been in glorious Technicolor.
Sounds like another story for the "Story" thread!
[quote]On Apr 15, 2017, landmark wrote:
I figure one out of a thousand gags has to eventually hit. ;) [/quote]

:rotf:
As a young teen I had a recurring dream for a while where I dreamt I was being seduced by a ghostly enchantress! The experience was so realistic I always hated walking up.
When I was a kid I always knew when I was dreaming and would control where the dream went.

As I got older it became harder to take control, for my mind would trick me into thinking I woke up but all that happened was a transition to another dream. Now the more I try to take control the more my mind changes channels...
Do you think it has to do with our minds being occupied with more and more distractions now as opposed to then?
No... that doesn't seem to fit. I would say it is more of a tug of war between the conscious and subconscious mind.

Sleep is supposed to be system idle time for maintenance and such and me wanting to take [i]conscious[/i] control it is like a system that refuses to shut down. So my mind does a force shutdown command.

When I was younger I didn't requires so much down time, but now that I am old and falling apart my subconscious mind has higher administrator rights.
That sounds about right. Back to your original post, about that “smothering” feeling in your dreams …

I can recall a handful of frequently recurring nightmares from my childhood which in involved a feeling of being pursued. The images and situations are still vivid in my memory.

For example, in one dream I was running away from someone/something scary, but unable to make much progress because I was running on cork netting floating in the water. (I can’t swim, which made that dream all the more terrifying).

Another nightmare involved an almost space-age metal-like construction of seemingly endless interlocked pipes, suspended in space, along which I was trying to escape.

I don’t attach much value to dreams, but it does make you wonder how a psychiatrist would analyze these recurring visions!