(Close Window)
Topic: Snag by Sansmind
I hope this is not a cheap knock off of the Regal Chain...promising otherwise if you can set it up on any chain.

https://www.sansminds.com/product/snag/

AD COPY

Ring magic has never been this intimate and powerful!

A presentation is always more captivating when the audience is involved. Many performers will ask spectators to sign a card, or put their hands together, but this trick will utilize one of the most sentimental pieces of jewelry people tend to wear. A ring!

We at SansMinds are proud to introduce Snag. An illusion from the mind of a rising star in the industry, Ben Howard.

With this trick you can borrow a ring from any unsuspecting passerby, make it vanish right in front of them, only to have it reappear, linked to your necklace! Making anything vanish and reappear is already a great trick in itself. Doing it with an item as personal as a ring? Amazing!

What’s in the Box?

1 Snag Instructional DVD

1 Chain Necklace

1 Gimmick Package

TV rights not included with purchase. Please contact SansMinds Magic for TV rights
"We can't show you the routine in it's entirety because then you'd figure it out and we'd never get your money"
Good job Ben Howard.
I think the method is really different from the last versions on market. Its pretty looks like some clever and easy idea is working because no full performance is shown. Any way I would really like to test this one.

it will be good one. I guess.

Good job Ben Howard.
Keep Going

best..
Magic
Yeah, I'd need to see the full routine.
I'll stick with Closure for now.
[quote]On Apr 28, 2017, VMagical wrote:
Yeah, I'd need to see the full routine.
I'll stick with Closure for now. [/quote]

Same
Message: Posted by: Infographicmagicreviews (Apr 28, 2017 06:48PM)
The thread should be call " Snag by Ben Howard" not Snag by Sansmind

sorry it is a pet peeves. I don't see why sansminds should take credit for the effect.

Very disrespectful on so many levels. IMO
^ it's only disrespectful if it was intentional. It wasn't.

Just an oversight on my part. Mea culpa.

That said, if this turns out to be a rip off of the Regal chain, then I disavow this post ;)
It shows a full performance on facebook.
Um, isn't there a full performance lower down in the product description?
Hi guys, Ben here!

Just wanted to pop in and say Hello! If anyone has any questions then I will be happy to answer them.

As for Closure and the Regal Chain, they are both great approaches to the classic effect, but Snag takes the practicality to a whole new level.

A full performance of Snag can be seen here:

https://youtu.be/hyLGu4au6sE

Thanks all!

Ben
I love the concept.... but still sansmind???? Well I think I skip it
Hi Ben Howard, will it be good for walk around magician, to get reset time.
How is about Technically difficulty to get reset as fast we can?

Magic
This looks so unnatural pulling it out sideways from your coat after a fair bit of fumbling around
I have no idea of the method for this release, but I have been using a method that I created years ago after I purchased David Regal's Regal Chain and was not happy with the method. I would be willing to share the method as an easy do-it-yourself project for ten bucks. My method works very well, looks and feels very natural, and resets in a second. I will also throw in my favorite go to effect that I carry in my wallet all the time. PM me if interested.

KJ
How much fast is the reset time?

Thanks
Magic
[quote]On Apr 29, 2017, 1KJ wrote:
I have no idea of the method for this release, but I have been using a method that I created years ago after I purchased David Regal's Regal Chain and was not happy with the method. I would be willing to share the method as an easy do-it-yourself project for ten bucks. My method works very well, looks and feels very natural, and resets in a second. I will also throw in my favorite go to effect that I carry in my wallet all the time. PM me if interested.

KJ [/quote]

Do you have a demo video?
[quote]On Apr 29, 2017, Magic Life wrote:
How much fast is the reset time?

Thanks
Magic [/quote]

Hi Magic,

Reset time is around 10 seconds. I, and many of my friends, perform this table hopping daily.

Thanks,
Ben
Nice to see a complete performance, but I think I'm left with more questions. The angle is very far to the (useless) side on the reveal, so you can barely see it.

Will sticks his hand in his shirt (and fumbles) for 8 seconds. He starts to pull the chain out, pauses, then (maybe?) disconnects something at the back of his neck, and continues to remove the ring/chain.

There's literally nothing that convinces me the chain was ever around his neck, let alone clasped. At least with the Regal Chain, it's very convincingly shown that it's entirely around your neck as you remove it.

Are there any better presentations? Maybe one of the way you do it, Ben?
I'm very interested in this effect, honestly. If I'm not mistaken, the necklace is not gimmicked. The description says :

1 Chain Necklace
1 Gimmick Package

It's a little bit sad that this one requires 10 secs for reset. There is no reset in Regal's RRC. I know that in his performance video, David's performance is not very clean (in my opinion). I've seen the gimmick, and I'm pretty sure it's possible and easy to show the necklace being "closed" when displaying the ring on the necklace.

Anyway, I think Snag looks nice. I'm impatient to read some reviews.
Have to disagree with tonsofquestions. The full demo looks very convincing.
Ya the Full performance here https://youtu.be/hyLGu4au6sE is really appreciable, its worth.

Magic
Hi all,

Just to answer a few common questions:

The reset time of 10 seconds is the longest it will take. With some practice, you can do this in under 5 seconds during the motion of fastening the chain back around your neck.

The chain is ungimmicked. It's just a standard necklace that can be examined and worn normally. You can use your own if you wish.

This can be performed with any shirt or T-shirt, as long as it has buttons. It can also be performed with any ring.

Thanks,
Ben
Hi Ben,

It's good to know that you can reset it faster than 8-10 secs, with practice. But it's even better to hear that, apparently, the reset doesn't require you do some odd, unnatural move. And instead, you will only have to fasten the necklace around the neck.

I'll wait for reviews. I'm honestly hesitating between RRC and this one.
SNAG by Ben Howard through SansMinds

Review:

SNAG appears to have the potential to be a worker with some modifications to the setup. But before you even get to practicing SNAG or modifying the setup, you likely will have to purchase a new chain from somewhere. Why? Let's just say that the gimmicks have certain properties that are imparted to the chain when they are stored in close proximity, which renders the chain useless for the method and impossible to set up. SansMinds chose to package the chain and gimmicks literally together in an envelope inside the DVD case.

It would be good if SansMinds put as much thought into the end product as it does into hyping and selling it. Maddening in-and-out-of-focus videography throughout the instructional DVD coupled with the demonstrator (not the creator or the performer in the trailer) not wearing a particularly suitable shirt for the effect and repeatedly flashing the gimmick, doesn't exactly inspire warm, fuzzy feelings. Combined with the boneheaded packaging of the gimmicks and chain together and a poorly thought out setup, and you get sort of a comedy of errors.

Too bad, too, especially for the creator of SNAG. The method is ingenious and the illusion created could be surprising and convincing. Strong features of SNAG are that the chain (once you purchase a working one) is not gimmicked and once the borrowed ring and chain are pulled free of your shirt they can immediately be handed out for removal of the ring from the chain. Your hands begin and end clean. There is never anything in them other than the borrowed ring. That said:

You cannot reset SNAG in front of people (unless you want them to think you have a skin condition).

Angles with the setup taught are treacherous with anyone standing to the right of performer's center, as is made inadvertently evident during the video explanation and explains why the performer in the trailer turns his torso conspicuously to his right for the load and reveal. I think that SNAG could be made far more angle friendly with a simple, inexpensive (pennies) modification to the setup I have in mind. Unfortunately, after collecting the modest materials needed for the modification, I discovered the issue with the chain so I wasn't able to test-drive the idea.

There is another aspect of the setup that likely will require modification if you want to set up well in advance of performing SNAG without having to worry about something slipping off. The same inexpensive item that I think can resolve the angles issue could also resolve this issue.

BOTTOM LINE:

Unless and until I locate and purchase a replacement chain, I won't be able to assess how well my imagined modifications to the setup will work or how I ultimately would rate SNAG in the venerable borrowed-ring-to-impossible-location genre.
Hi E.S Andrews,

Thank you for your review and it's great to hear your thoughts. I'm intrigued to heard more about your modification idea, it would be great if you could PM me more about it!

It does sound like you have a faulty chain somehow. I'm sorry about this, I will arrange for a new chain to be sent out once you pm me, or email me at contact@benhoward.co.uk

Kindest regards,
Ben
Thank you for responding so graciously, Ben.

I hope you took the less positive aspects of the review as criticism of SansMinds and not of you or your effect. I do think the effect
could be more of a worker with some fairly easy alterations of the setup.

I will certainly PM or email you my thoughts about it!

Regards,

E.S.A.
I am left handed and it looks like the critical moment happens when the hand is put inside the shirt but because how men's shirts are fabricated, it is very difficult to insert your left hand between two buttons. Does this mean that I will not be able to do this effect without switching hands?
[quote]On May 18, 2017, Gaijin wrote:
I am left handed and it looks like the critical moment happens when the hand is put inside the shirt but because how men's shirts are fabricated, it is very difficult to insert your left hand between two buttons. Does this mean that I will not be able to do this effect without switching hands? [/quote]

You would have to train your non-dominant right hand to do the relatively quick and easy load maneuver. It isn't complicated. I am left-hand dominant as well, although somewhat ambidextrous. It is more natural for me to use my right hand for this, but I could certainly see doing it left-handed if shirts were made the opposite.

I PM'd the creator my thoughts about modifying the setup a couple of days ago but haven't received a response yet. I won't be able to try out the modifications until I get a new chain.
If you watched the WPR, they also imagined an alternative handling as well, and which is totally angle proof. I'm wondering if it's not the same idea as yours...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNLgY523pm0
[quote]On May 18, 2017, mh1001 wrote:
If you watched the WPR, they also imagined an alternative handling as well, and which is totally angle proof. I'm wondering if it's not the same idea as yours...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNLgY523pm0 [/quote]

Ben messaged me and pointed me to the WPR of SNAG. Yep, same basic idea for how to modify the setup to improve angles and cover. I shared an additional modification with Ben to help keep the setup in place.

A thank you to Ben, by the way, for putting me in touch with SansMinds for a replacement chain.

Also, as David Penn notes in his WPR, you can use most any (relatively thin) ordinary necklace chain to perform SNAG.
If anyone would like to see a no-nonsense 30 second video of Snag you can see one on my Instagram here: https://instagram.com/p/BUVB6kMFTha/

Thanks,
Ben
[quote]On May 20, 2017, BenHowardMagic wrote:
If anyone would like to see a no-nonsense 30 second video of Snag you can see one on my Instagram here: https://instagram.com/p/BUVB6kMFTha/

Thanks,
Ben [/quote]

Thank you very much Ben, it makes me feel liking buying the effect better than with the original video. The load is quick, it's quite neat. WPR talked about the reset which takes a little bit long but overall I like now this version very much because the chain is ungimmicked and it can be done with a shirt. I would not use this for strolling but for a one-time effect, this seems great to me.
Could it be left loaded and do the revelation later? I.e. Load it into the "mechanism" and reveal it later (in an even cleaner) fashion?
[quote]On May 20, 2017, Sashac wrote:
Could it be left loaded and do the revelation later? I.e. Load it into the "mechanism" and reveal it later (in an even cleaner) fashion? [/quote]

Hi Sashac,

Yes, I have a few exciting ways to do this. I will film a clip of this tonight. It's a slightly different set up but it looks awesome!

Thanks,
Ben
Ben - is this available to buy from you directly from us the U.K. - this seems to not be in stock most places
I had the pleasure to test this for a friend.
Everything is already said. Idea and method are great.
The chain which is supplied with SNAG is not faulty but chosen wrongly.
You can not perform it right out of the box and need to buy a new chain...
Looks good

Can it be purchased from you in the U.K. ?
[quote]On May 21, 2017, ArtIn wrote:
I had the pleasure to test this for a friend.
Everything is already said. Idea and method are great.
The chain which is supplied with SNAG is not faulty but chosen wrongly.
You can not perform it right out of the box and need to buy a new chain... [/quote]

Artin is correct.
SNAG could be terrific.
Ben's Instagram video shows the basics very well.
SansMinds says they are awaiting a new batch of chains. I hope they've selected ones made of an appropriate material this time. The chains they supplied with the first batch won't work.
If anyone wants to know what kind of chain to purchase, feel free to PM me. I've ordered a few different ones that should work from a major online shopping site.
[quote]On May 21, 2017, Michael640 wrote:
Ben - is this available to buy from you directly from us the U.K. - this seems to not be in stock most places [/quote]

Hi Michael,

Most stores will be getting new stock mid next week.

Thanks,
Ben
Hi all,

Most stores have Snag back in stock now.

Thanks,
Ben
Interesting
Ben, your video is soooooo much better than the SansMind trailer - the group of typically screaming girls just does my head in!!!!! I'd like to use it but am worried about the reset time as highlighted by the WPR. Good work though buddy
Thanks Simplymagicweb!

All stores have Snag back in stock now ready to ship. If anyone has any questions then feel free to ask.

Thanks,
Ben
Hi all,

It's 30% off all products on the Sans Minds store for 24 hours.

Thought I'd let you know in case anyone was on the fence about purchasing Snag!

Thanks again,
Ben
[youtube]SP3BKRnv5So[/youtube]

Video review