(Close Window)
Topic: Jordan Count tricks
Hi people,

I've seen discussions on the Café comparing the effectiveness of the Jordan vs. the Elmsley counts, and of tricks that use the latter. What I haven't seen is discussions of favorite tricks that use Jordan. Maybe I missed it... But -- are there actually tricks that use the Jordan Count?? If so, I'd be interested in hearing about people's favorites -- especially ones that aren't too involved as I'm a beginner. Elmsley is next on my list of sleights to learn, and I know there's a practice routine that alternates the two counts, but it would be great to practice both and learn tricks that use both.

Thanks for your help.
Interesting question Bob, I'd like to hear the answer too. I've seen tricks that use both, to manoeuvre a card into different positions, but never one that uses just the Jordan. I hope someone more knowledgable comes along to reply!
One of my strongest impromptu card effects is from Darwin Ortiz' Cardshark. It requires a Jordan.
Ahahaha, I did it!!

I was able to refrain from providing the complete reference to magicfish's response.

Thanks @magicfish for providing the opportunity to (im)prove myself (grin).

Dave
I can't help you with a trick that uses Jordan counts and only Jordan counts but there is a trick described in one of the Roy Walton books as well as one of the Mentzer books credited to Walton which uses an Elmsley, a Jordan, and a Siva count (Jack Avis). The trick is called "As You Were," and if you practice it until the counts become indisinguishable, you will have a nice effect and you will know three useful counts.
Thanks folks. Tricks using Jordan along with other counts would be just fine. Magic fish, do you recall the name of Ortiz,s effect?

I like the idea, foolsnobody, of learning three effects by learning one nice trick.

Bob
Oops, I meant three counts.
What I wrote above is incorrect. The third count is the Elmsley-Jordan count, not the Siva count.
Great trick in Focus by Phil Goldstein that uses an Elmsley, Jordan and then a Siva....It's called Overture.
Michael Kociolek's "The Naturals" effect appears in the Feb. 2018 issue of Genii (see pp. 48-51). It uses a Jordan Count.
Thanks, Pepka. I have the book and have heard lots of good things about Overture.

And thanks to you, B. W., for the lead on "The Naturals."
Rafael Benatar's Illogical Conclusion uses a jordan count.
You can see an extract of the trick in this video : https://youtu.be/2tB8C-qod3A?t=40

Illogical Conclusion: The effect begins with four unseen cards face down on the table and four red cards in Rafael's hands. He openly switches a card, then two cards, and then three cards from one pile to the other, all while the cards in his hands remain completely red. The trick doesn't seem to make sense until he finally shows that the cards on the table are all black.

Lucas.
Bob sometimes depending on the effect a Jordon count is better and more natural than an Elmsley count for example in Duplicity an underground EC taught at the start/opening but personally I prefer to start with a JC as it's more natural in my opinion, I think the only reason the underground EC is taught is because most magicians are more familiar with the EC rather than the JC.
Interesting point, Warren. I like that people who can do several counts can be creative like this.

I have a question -- probably not answerable on this forum. But I wondered whether the duplicity uses a force. Amazing though the trick is, I try to avoid tricks that always force the same card, and therefore can't be shown more than once to the same people (friends and family).
It's hard to explain as it's sort of a yes and no answer but it's not an effect I would recommend you perform for the same group
Okay -- thanks.
Lucas,

I just watched a performance video of Illogical Conclusion. It's very pretty!

Bob
I use the Jordan count when I preform the biddle card trick.

Kieran
That's very interesting, Kieran. The Biddle trick is high on my list of tricks that I want to learn. If you care to divulge the role that the Jordan count plays in your handling of the tricks, perhaps in a PM, I'd be interested to hear what you do. No obligation, obviously! :)
Bob I just had to check, its the biddle count I do not a Jordan count. For some strange reason I always thought it was the Jordan count, sorry about that.

Kieran
Ah, okay, that makes sense, Kieran. Thanks for letting me know.

Bob
Kartenkunste- Ortiz
Thanks, magicfish.
Check out some of Aldo Colombini routines. His Italian Salad card trick is awesome.
Among the Discards by Simon Aronson uses a Jordan Count. It is also a Very good card trick.
Thanks, terillific and stickmondoo -- lots of riches out there! I'll check these out.
I have been doing card tricks for over thirty years, and I am not quite sure what the Jordan count is (embarrassed to say). Did a quick search in Hugard and Tarbell (paper, not digital) and found nothing. I have been doing Elmsley count for years, and I can do it both hands, forwards backwards. My guess is, I do the Jordan count, but I don’t associate the sleight I do with the name.

If someone can message me and just provide a couple of hints, it would be appreciated. I did check on the Internet but the I saw three or four different false counts described (I suspect incorrectly) as Jordan counts. Thanks
Hi Baronborelli, do you have the Card College series? Giobbi describes it there. Ian Kendall describes it in his Basic Training (lybrary.com), and I'm pretty sure Daryl does in his Encylopedia of Card Sleights. Giobbi has comprehensive indices in volumes 4 and 5, but I know he covers Jordan in either vol. 2 or vol. 3.

Welcome to the Café! I wish *I'd* been doing card tricks for thirty years! I've been working on magic for three years now, and am still a relative beginner. (My Elmsley count is coming along well, though.)

Bob
Another Rumor by Chad Long uses the Jordan (or Ghost) count.
I believe I learned the count from Counts Cuts Moves and Subtlety, by Jerry Mentzer, 1977. The instructions for the Jordan mentions that the completion of a Jordan leaves you set up for an Elmsley count (and vice-versa). I practiced by doing Elmsley-Jordan-Elmsley, etc.

Douglas
Some of Paul Gordons tricks use the jordan count. Look at his 4 killer packet tricks on his site and his books are packed full of them. Mind Boggler from Pauls book article 52 uses a bunch of jordan counts.
You might want to check out The Royal Acrobats in CC 2. That uses both an Elmsley and a Jordan. It's a great trick.
Thanks, Tyler, Douglas, and K. To the first two of you: for some reason I just got your posts.

Note to K: I'll definitely look that up. My Elmsley count has gotten a lot better, and I'll be putting up a second video for people to critique. I share your love of Giobbi, as you know.

Note to Douglas: Minor correction. I'm 99% sure that Elmsley called his count the "Ghost Count." I don't think the Jordan count is called that. :)

Bob
Many packet tricks use Jordan Counts. I just ran across a Cameron Francis trick from Moment's Notice 10 (Precursor) that uses it. Caleb Wiles' Travelers for Jack uses it. And David Regal's Red Streamlined Convertible, an Ace assembly with odd-backed aces, uses it quite a bit.

It's worth noting that the Jordan Count is something of an inverse of the Elmsley Count. That is, the cards that are hidden in an Elmsley Count end up at the back of the packet, in position for a Jordan Count. If you perform a Jordan Count immediately after an Elmsley, you will display the same "four" cards and end up back in position for another Elmsley Count. So you can keep switching between an Elmsley and a Jordan forever, hiding the same card(s) each time. A good way to practice both sleights. It has also saved me a time or two when, after doing an Elmsley, someone has said "wait, show me those cards again." Now what do you do? You do a Jordan Count. And then of course another Elmsley at some point and you're right back in position.
Mike,

I never thought of using the Jordan count if asked to show cards again. Clever. Here's a question: if you follow Elmsley by Jordan, are *all* the cards in the packet in the same order as they were originally?
[quote]On Jul 18, 2019, Bob G wrote:
Mike,

Here's a question: if you follow Elmsley by Jordan, are *all* the cards in the packet in the same order as they were originally? [/quote]

Indeed they are, and I should have clarified that's what I meant by Jordan and Elmsley being inverses. All cards are back in their original order when performing the two counts back-to-back. Try it for yourself.
I will! And I'm very happy to hear it.